Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Dutch:
Common Names in English:
Norway King Crab, Stone King Crab
Common Names in French:
Crabe Royal De Roche
Common Names in German:
En Art Troldkrabbe, Nördliche Steinkrabbe
Common Names in Italian:
Common Names in Portuguese:
Caranguejo Real Da Pedra
Typically found in water with a depth of 0 to -2,697 meters (0 to -8,848 feet).
Biome: Marine .
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- A.M.A. Aguinaldo et al., 1997 ex T. Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Latreille, 1829
- Snodgrass, 1938
- (Chernyshev, 1960)
- Pennant, 1777
- Latreille, 1802
- Grobben, 1892
- Calman, 1904
- Latreille, 1802
- Suborder: Pleocyemata () - Burkenroad, 1963
- Order: Decapoda () - Latreille, 1802 - Decapods
- Superorder: Eucarida () - Calman, 1904
- Subclass: Eumalacostraca () - Grobben, 1892
- Class: Malacostraca () - Latreille, 1802
- Epiclass: Eucrustacea ()
- Superclass: Crustacea () - Pennant, 1777 - Crustaceans
- Infraphylum: Crustaceomorpha () - (Chernyshev, 1960)
- Subphylum: Mandibulata () - Snodgrass, 1938
- Phylum: Arthropoda () - Latreille, 1829 - Arthropods
- Superphylum: Panarthropoda () - Cuvier
- Infrakingdom: Ecdysozoa () - A.M.A. Aguinaldo et al., 1997 ex T. Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Protostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 18-Jan-2005
Members of the genus Lithodes
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 3 species and subspecies in this genus:
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- ...Scientific results of the cruises of the yachts "Eagle" and "Ara", 1921-1928, William K. Vanderbilt, commanding. Crustacea... By Lee Boone. Huntington, N. Y., Priv. print. [The Science press printing company, Lancaster, Pa.]1930- url p. 53.
- A compilation of Federal laws relating to conservation and development of our Nation's fish and wildlife resources, environmental quality, and oceanography / [prepared by Walter S. Albano]. Washington: U.S. Govt. Print. Off., 1977. url p. 469.
- A history of Scandinavian fishes / by B. Fries, C. U. Ekström and C. Sundevall; with coloured plates by W. von Wright and text illustrations. Stockholm: P.A. Norstedt & söner, 1892-1895. url p. 1125.
- A history of the British zoophytes. By George Johnston. London: J. Van Voorst, 1847. url p. 50, p. 50.
- A popular history of British zoophytes, or corallines. By the Rev. D. Landsborough. .. London, Reeve and co., 1852. url p. 117.
- Annual report of the New Jersey State Museum, 1911: including a list of the specimens and publications received during the year, with a report of the crustacea of New Jersey. Trenton, N.J.: MacCrellish & Quigley, 1912. url p. 578.
- Archiv for mathematik og naturvidenskab. Oslo [etc.]O. Norlis [etc.] url p. 135, p. 192, p. 338.
- Biological survey of the Mount Desert Region, conducted by William Procter... From the Mount Desert Island Biological Laboratory, Mount Desert Island, Maine. Philadelphia, The Wistar Institute of Anatomy and Biology, 1927-1946. url p. 242.
- Biology of the seas of the U.S.S.R. Translated by S. Botcharskaya. New York, Interscience Publishers url p. 37.
- Fauna of New England. Boston, Printed for the [Boston] Society [of Natural History] from the Gurdon Saltonstall Fund, 1904-25. url , p. 14.
- Fishery bulletin / U.S. Dept. of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, National Marine Fisheries Service. Washington, D.C.: The Service: url , p. 305, p. 312, p. 67, p. 74.
- Fishery circular / U.S. Department of Commerce, Bureau of Fisheries. [Washington]: The Bureau, 1931-1939. url p. 21, p. 41, p. 48.
- Hydrographical and biological investigations in Norwegian fiords. By O. Nordgaard. The protist plankton and the diatoms in bottom samples. By E. Jørgensen. With 21 plates and 10 figures in the text. Bergen, J. Grieg, 1905. url p. 191, p. 236.
- List of the specimens of Crustacea in the collection of the British Museum. London, Printed by order of the Trustees [by E. Newman]1847. url p. 23.
- Malacostraca podophthalmata Britanniae, or, Descriptions of such British species of the Linnean genus Cancer as have their eyes elevated on footstalks / by William Elford Leach; illustrated with figures of all the species, by James Sowerby. London: J. Sowerby, 1815-1875. url .
- Manual of the natural history, geology, and physics of Greenland, and the neighboring regions: prepared for the use of the Arctic Expedition of 1875, under the direction of the Arctic Committee of the Royal Society, for the use of the expedition; published by authority of the Lords Commissione London: H.M. Stationery Off., printed by G.E. Eyre and W. Spottiswoode, 1875. url p. 146.
- Marine flora and fauna of the northeastern United States, Crustacea: Decapoda / Austin B. Williams. Seattle: U.S. Dept. of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, National Marine Fisheries Service; 1974. url p. 21, p. 41.
- Occasional papers of the Boston Society of Natural History. Boston, Boston Society of Natural History, 1869-1941. url .
- Opinions and declarations rendered by the International Commission on Zoological Nomenclature. London, Printed by order of the International Trust for Zoological Nomenclature. url p. 262.
- Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington. Washington, Biological Society of Washington url p. 119, p. 124, p. 146, p. 147, p. 54.
- Report on the Invertebrata of Massachusetts, comprising the Mollusca, Crustacea, Annelida, and Radiata. Pub. agreeably to an order of the legislature, by the comissioners on the Zoological and Botanical Survey of the state. Cambridge, Folsom, Wells, and Thurston, printers, 1841. url p. 327.
- Report on the invertebrata of Massachusetts: comprising the mollusca, crustacea, annelida, and radiata / [by Augustus A. Gould]. Cambridge: Folsom, Wells, and Thurston, 1841. url p. 327.
- Science. New York, N.Y.: [s.n.]1880- url p. 516.
- The Biological bulletin. Woods Hole, Mass.: Marine Biological Laboratory, url p. 185.
- The Bulletin of zoological nomenclature. London, International Trust for Zoological Nomenclature. url p. 123.
- The Danish Ingolf-Expedition. Copenhagen: H. Hagerup, 1899-1928. url p. 9, p. 9.
- The depths of the ocean: a general account of the modern science of oceanography based largely on the scientific researches of the Norwegian steamer Michael Sars in the North Atlantic / by Sir John Murray and Dr. Johan Hjort; with contributions from Professor A. Appellöf, Professor H. H. Gran and Dr. B. Helland-Hansen. London: Macmillan, 1912. url p. 486, p. 496.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 15, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 17, 2007:
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University, Atlantic Reference Centre
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University, Bay of Fundy Species List
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University, Gulf of Maine Bottom Trawl Survey Data
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University, Histroical benthic dredge samples from the southern baltic and the North Sea
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University, Taxonomic Information Sytem for the Belgian coastal area
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 2707086
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-97943
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 13537060
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 97943
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 523113