Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Afrikaans:
Common Names in Dutch:
Common Names in English:
Black-tailed Godwit, Blacktailed Godwit
Common Names in Finnish:
Common Names in French:
Barge ? queue noire, Barge , barge à queue noire, barge Ã queue noire
Common Names in German:
Common Names in Hebrew:
Common Names in Italian:
Common Names in Japanese:
Common Names in Russian:
Bolshoy Veretennik, Большой веретенник, Веретенник, Веретенник большой
Common Names in Spanish:
Common Names in Swedish:
Adult Summer: Head : rusty red Bill: Curvature: sometimes slightly upcurved Length : long Shape : straight Neck: rusty red Body: Belly: white with dark barring Breast: rusty red Underparts: white with dark barring Upperparts: mottled rusty brown Legs : Leg Color: dark gray Leg Length: long Tail: black with white base.
About 16 inches long, with a wingspan of 30 to 30 inches. Adults weigh about 8.9 ounces .
Typically found in a lake at a mean distance from sea level of 45 meters (147 feet).
Behaviour This species is highly gregarious
and migrates on
a broad front, making long-distance flights,often overland between
relatively few staging
from April to mid-June in loose
, semi-colonial groups of up
to 3 pairs per ha15. Non-breeding birds remain
in flocks, often near to the breeding colonies18.
As soon as the young fledge
, breeding birds begin to congregate
loose flocks of up to 500 individuals18. The species
migrates southwards between late-June and October1.
During the autumn migration it may roost in flocks of tens of thousands
in favoured sites1, and many adults
pause in North
Morocco in July to moult18. Huge flocks occur at
some wintering sites, particularly in the floodplains
Elsewhere (eg Morocco) flocks are smaller18. The
occurs between February and April1,
and birds arrive at the breeding grounds
in groups of 5-30 individuals17.
Many one-year-old birds remain in the wintering range during the
summer1. During the winter and migration the species
gregariously1. Habitat Breeding
In its breeding range it mostly inhabits areas with high grass
soft soil1,17, occasionally using sandy areas17.
Its preferred habitats
include cattle pastures, hayfields17,
lowland wet grasslands, grassy marshland, raised bogs
lake margins and damp grassy depressions
islandica shows a distinct
preference for large
patches of dwarf-birch bog and marsh
, particularly with abundant
sedge-pools1,15. Extensive farmland habitats are
of critical importance for breeding Western European populations1.
After the young have fledged, adults and fledgelings often move to
secondary habitat which more closely resembles that of their non-breeding
, including wet damp areas around fish-ponds and sewage
flats and salt-water lagoons2,18.
Non-breeding Subspecies limosa tends to winter in freshwater
habitats1, including swampy lake shores, pools
flooded grassland and irrigated rice fields1. Subspecies
islandica and melanuroides, however, often winter
habitats1 such as sheltered estuaries
with large intertidal mudflats17, sandy
beaches, salt-marshes and salt-flats1. Diet
Its diet consists of adult and larval insects (especially beetles),
annelid and polychaete worms, molluscs
, ragworms, crustaceans, spiders,
, and the spawn
On the breeding grounds grasshoppers and other orthopterans are often
prevalent in the diet17. Particularly during the
winter and on migration it will also take plant material
, seeds and rice grains1,18. On its wintering
in Portugal, the bivalve
Scrobicularia plana has been
found to represent its primary food
site The nest
is placed on the ground in short, often luxurious
vegetation1,17,18. It consists of a shallow scrape
12-15cm in diameter, lined
with a thick mat of stem grass, leaves
and other available vegetation18. Breeding birds
show a high degree
of nest site fidelity1 and some
degree of natal
List of Habitats:
- 4 Grassland
- 4.4 Grassland - Temperate
- 5 Wetlands (inland)
- 5.4 Wetlands (inland) - Bogs, Marshes, Swamps , Fens , Peatlands
- 5.6 Wetlands (inland) - Seasonal/Intermittent Freshwater Lakes (over 8ha)
- 5.8 Wetlands (inland) - Seasonal/Intermittent Freshwater Marshes/Pools (under 8ha)
- 9 Marine Neritic
- 9.10 Marine Neritic - Estuaries
- 12 Marine Intertidal
- 12.4 Marine Intertidal - Mud Flats and Salt Flats
- 12.5 Marine Intertidal - Salt Marshes (Emergent Grasses)
- 14 Artificial/Terrestrial
- 14.1 Artificial/Terrestrial - Arable Land
- 14.2 Artificial/Terrestrial - Pastureland
- 14.5 Artificial/Terrestrial - Urban Areas [more info]
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Bateson, 1885
- Cuvier, 1812
- Jawed Vertebrates
- Goodrich, 1930
- Linnaeus, 1758
- Gauthier, 1986
- (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Pycraft, 1900
- Huxley, 1867
- Huxley, 1867
- Beddard, 1898
- Strauch, 1978
- Superfamily: Scolopacoidea () - Vigors, 1825
- Parvorder: Scolopacida ()
- Infraorder: Scolopacides () - Strauch, 1978
- Suborder: Limicolae () - Beddard, 1898
- Order: Charadriiformes () - Huxley, 1867
- Superorder: Charadriimorphae () - Huxley, 1867
- Cohort: Neognathae () - Pycraft, 1900
- Infraclass: Aves () - (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Subclass: Avialae () - Gauthier, 1986
- Class: Aves () - Linnaeus, 1758
- Superclass: Tetrapoda () - Goodrich, 1930
- Infraphylum: Gnathostomata () - auct. - Jawed Vertebrates
- Subphylum: Vertebrata () - Cuvier, 1812 - Vertebrates
- Phylum: Chordata () - Bateson, 1885 - Chordates
- Infrakingdom: Chordonia () - (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Deuterostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Acetosella limosa (Progel) Kuntze • Limosa limosa (Linnaeus, 1758) • Oxalis Limosa
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 17-Oct-2001
Hudsonian Godwit, Bar-Tailed Godwit
Members of the genus Limosa
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 10 species and subspecies in this genus:
L. fedoa (Straight-Billed Curlew) · L. fedoa beringiae (Beringian Marbled Godwit) · L. fedoa fedoa (Straight-Billed Curlew) · L. haemastica (American Black-Tailed Godwit) · L. lapponica (White-Rumped Godwit) · L. lapponica baueri (Bar-Tailed Godwit) · L. lapponica lapponica (Bar-Tailed Godwit) · L. limosa (Black-Tailed Godwit) · L. limosa islandica (Black-Tailed Godwit) · L. limosa limosa (Black-Tailed Godwit)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A List of British birds / London: British Ornithologists' Union, 1915. url , , .
- A concise handbook of British birds / H. Kirke Swann. London: J. Wheldon, 1896. url p. 187.
- A guide to the birds of Nepal Christopher Helm (Publishers) Ltd. url p. 153.
- A hand-book to the birds of Great Britain / by R. Bowdler Sharpe. London: E. Lloyd, 1896-1897. url p. 309, p. 313.
- A hand-list of British birds, with an account of the distribution of each species in the British Isles and abroad. By Ernst Hartert, F. C. R. Jourdain, N. F. Ticehurst and H. F. Withersby. London, Witherby, 1912. url p. 186.
- A hand-list of the birds of the Malay Peninsula, south of the Isthmus of Kra. By Herbert C. Robinson. .. Kuala LumpurF. M. S. government printing office, 1910. url p. 3.
- A handbook to the vertebrate fauna of north Wales. London, Witherby & Co., 1919. url p. 67.
- A history of British birds, with coloured illustrations of their eggs. By Henry Seebohm. London, Pub. for the author by R. H. Porter [etc.]1883-85. url p. 162.
- A key to the birds of the lower Yangtse Valley, with popular descriptions of the species commonly seen. By N. Gist Gee. .. and Lacy I. Moffett. Shanghai, Shanghai Mercury Limited, Print., 1917. url p. 77.
- A list of British birds, comp. by a committee of the British ornithologists' union. London: British ornithologists' union, 1915. url , p. 235, p. 391.
- A list of the birds of Australia: containing the names and synonyms connected with each genus, species, and subspecies of birds found in Australia, at present known to the author / London: Witherby, 1913. url p. 64.
- A list of the birds of eastern North America / by Charles B. Cory. Boston: For sale by B. Whidden, 1896. url p. 17.
- A manual of Philippine birds / by Richard C. McGregor. Manila: Bureau of Printing, 1909. url p. 121, p. 121.
- A manual of Philippine birds, by Richard C. McGregor. .. Manila, Bureau of Printing, 1909. url p. 121.
- A manual of palæarctic birds, by H. E. Dresser. London, The author, 1902-03. url p. 798.
- A manual of the birds of Australia / by Gregory M. Mathews. .. and. .. Tom Iredale; illus. with coloured and monochrome plates by Lilian Medland. London: Witherby, 1921. url , , p. 147.
- A manual of the birds of Australia, by Gregory M. Mathews. .. and Tom Iredale. .. Illustrated with coloured and monochrome plates by Lilian Medland. Vol. I. Orders Casuarii to Columbæ. London, H.F. & G. Witherby, 1921. url , p. 147.
- A popular handbook of the birds of the United States and Canada / Boston: Little, Brown, 1921. url .
- A popular handbook of the ornithology of the United States and Canada: based on Nuttall's Manual / by Montague Chamberlain. Boston: Little, B., & Co., 1903. url p. 169.
- An Australian bird book: a pocket book for field use / by J. A. Leach; with introduction by Frank Tate; [photos by Ralph L. Miller; paintings by Ethel M. Paterson]. Melbourne: Whitcombe & Tombs, 1911. url p. 47, p. 47.
- An environmental profile of the Black Sea Coast WCMC url p. 102, p. 36.
- Analysis and Synthesis of National Reports. Prepared by UNEP and CMS Secretariat CMS url p. 22, p. 29.
- Anatomischer Anzeiger. Jena: G. Fischer, 1886- url p. 14.
- Ardea. Amsterdam, etc., Nederlandse Ornithlogische Unie, etc. url p. 121, p. 29, p. 30, p. 34.
- Austral avian record; a scientific journal devoted primarily to the study of the Australian avifauna. London: Witherby. url .
- Biodiversity trends and threats in Europe: development and test of a species trend indicator RIVM, UNEP-WCMC url p. 45, p. 46.
- Biosphere Reserves, Compilation 4, October 1986: programme on man and the biosphere (MAB) IUCN Conservation Monitoring Centre url p. 209, p. 447, p. 458.
- Birds of America; editor-in-chief, T. Gilbert Pearson; consulting editor, John Burroughs; artists, R.I. Brasher, R. Bruce Horsfall [and] Henry Thurston. 1 1923 New York, The University Society, 1923. url p. 240, p. 277.
- Birds of the Chukchi Peninsula and Wrangel Island = (Ptitsy Chukotskogo poluostrova i ostrova Vrangelya) / L.A. Portenko; translated from Russian [by P.M. Rao]. New Delhi: Published for the Smithsonian Institution and the National Science Foundation, Washington, D.C., by Amerind Pub. Co., 1981- url p. 317, p. 349.
- Birds. By Eugene W. Oates. London: Taylor and Francis; [etc., etc.], 1889-98. url p. 254.
- Birds. London, Taylor and Francis, 1889-1898. url .
- Boletim da Sociedade Portuguesa de Cie?ncias Naturais. Lisboa, Sociedade Portuguesa de Cie?ncias Naturais, 1908- url p. 208, p. 211.
- British birds. London, Witherby & Co. url p. 119, p. 120, p. 120, p. 128, p. 141, p. 142, p. 144, p. 186, p. 189, p. 193, p. 204, p. 204, p. 212, p. 212, p. 221, p. 227, p. 235, p. 240, p. 243, p. 265, p. 27, p. 273, p. 275, p. 284, p. 316, p. 47, p. 64, p. 75, p. 76, p. 86.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url , p. 112, p. 135, p. 178, p. 244, p. 304, p. 417, p. 71, p. 826, p. 98, p. 99.
- Bulletin / Peabody Museum of Natural History. 1972 New Haven: Peabody Museum of Natural History, url p. 141, fig. 21.
- Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History). London: The Museum, 1950-1977. url p. 224, p. 226.
- Bulletin of the British Ornithologists' Club. London: The Club, 1893- url , p. 10, p. 104, p. 110.
- Bulletin of the Museum of Comparative Zoology at Harvard College. 63 1919 Cambridge, Mass.: The Museum, 1863- url p. 180, p. 180.
- Catalogue of Canadian birds / by John Macoun and James M. Macoun. Ottawa: Canada Dept. of Mines, Geological Survey Branch, 1909. url p. 185.
- Catalogue of Canadian birds, Ottawa, Government Printing Bureau, 1909. url .
- Catalogue of Canadian birds, by John Macoun. .. and James M. Macoun. .. Ottawa, Government printing bureau, 1909. url p. 185.
- Catalogue of Canadian birds. .. Ottawa, Printed by S. E. Dawson, 1900-04. url .
- Catalogue of the Birds in the British Museum. London, 1874-98. url p. 381, p. 384, p. 755, p. 756.
- Catalogue of the Collection of Birds' Eggs in the British Museum / By E. W. Oates [and afterwards] by S. G. Reid [and] W. R. Ogilvie-Grant. London, 1901-12. url p. 353, p. 40.
- Catalogue of the collection of birds' eggs in the British museum (Natural history). London: Printed by order of the Trustees, 1901-12. url p. 40.
- Check-list of North American birds, New York, American ornithologists' union, 1910. url .
- Check-list of North American birds. [Ithaca, N.Y.]1957. url p. 206, p. 207, p. 673.
- Check-list of North American birds: the species of birds of North America from the Arctic through Panama, including the West Indies and Hawaiian Islands / prepared by the Committee on Classification and Nomenclature of the American Orni Lawrence, Kan.: American Ornithologists' Union, 1983. url p. 187, p. 801.
- Check-list of the species of fishes known from the Philippine Archipelago, Manila, Bureau of printing, 1910. url p. 121.
- Coastal Sensitivity Overview of the Strait of Malacca. Compiled for International Maritime Organisation (IMO) IMO url , , , .
- Collection of Australian birds' eggs and nests in the possession of D. Le Souef, Director, Zoological Gardens, Melbourne. Melbourne: [1900?]. url p. 19.
- Crustacea of Lake Titicaca. Cambridge, the Museum, 1876 url p. 356.
- Directory of Wetlands of International Importance. IUCN url p. 141, p. 144, p. 167, p. 213, p. 216, p. 227, p. 229, p. 230, p. 233, p. 281, p. 282, p. 285, p. 287, p. 292, p. 341, p. 373, p. 390, p. 434, p. 451, p. 456, p. 460, p. 464, p. 488, p. 490, p. 533, p. 54, p. 543, p. 562, p. 563, p. 57, p. 582, p. 585, p. 586, p. 589, p. 593, p. 594, p. 597, p. 609, p. 63, p. 638, p. 654, p. 665, p. 669, p. 67, p. 681, p. 692, p. 696, p. 698, p. 701, p. 703, p. 750, p. 770.
- Distribution and migration of North American shorebirds. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1912. url , .
- Ecologically sensitive sites in Africa / Washington, DC, USA: World Bank, 1993. url p. 18, p. 49, p. 57.
- Eggs of North American birds by Chas. J. Maynard. Boston: De Wolfe, Fiske, 1890. url .
- Entomological news. [Philadelphia]American Entomological Society, 1925- url p. 275.
- Guide to taxidermy, by Chas. K. Reed and Chester A. Reed. Illustrated by drawings and photographs of mounted specimens by the authors and Mr. N. F. Stone. Worcester, Mass., C.K. Reed, 1914. url p. 252.
- Guide to the Gallery of Birds in the Department of Zoology of the British Museum (Natural History). London: Printed by order of the Trustees [by Taylor and Francis], 1905. url p. 176.
- Guide to the gallery of birds in the Department of Zoology, British Museum (Natural History) LondonPrinted by order of the Trustees url p. 40.
- Hand-book to the birds of Great Britain. London, Allen, 1894-97. url p. 309, p. 313, p. 313.
- Handbook of birds of eastern North America; with introductory chapters on the study of birds in nature, by Frank M. Chapman. .. With full-page plates in colors and black and white by Louis Agassiz Fuertes and text-cuts by Tappan Adney and Ernest Thompson Seton. London: D. Appleton and Company, 1912. url p. 256.
- Handlist of the birds of Egypt by M.J. Nicoll. Cairo, Government Press, 1919. url p. 101.
- IUCN Directory of Afrotropical Protected Areas IUCN, UNEP url p. 1023, p. 524.
- IUCN Directory of South Asian Protected Areas IUCN url p. 124, p. 204, p. 257, p. 288.
- Ibis. [London]Published for the British Ornithologists' Union by Academic Press. url p. 125, p. 247, p. 258, p. 258, p. 263, p. 286, p. 428, p. 461, p. 513, p. 691, p. 710, p. 73, p. 744, p. 806, p. 811.
- International catalogue of scientific literature. LondonPublished for the International Council by the Royal Society of London1901-1920 url p. 30, p. 92.
- Journal of ethnobiology. 10 1990 Flagstaff, Ariz.: Center for Western Studies, 1981- url p. 47, p. 52.
- Journal of the East Africa Natural History Society: official publication of the Coryndon Memorial Museum (Museum Trustees of Kenya). Nairobi, Kenya: The Museum, 1942- url p. 166.
- Journal of the Federated Malay States museums. Kuala Lumpur: F.M.S. Museums, 1906-1929. url p. 69.
- Key to North American birds. Containing a concise account of every species of living and fossil bird at present known from the continent north of the Mexican and United States boundary, inclusive of Greenland and lower California By Elliot Coues. Boston, D. Estes and Company, 1903. url p. 840.
- Madagascar: an environmental profile IUCN Conservation Monitoring Centre url p. 176.
- Meddelelser om Grønland. København, C. A. Reitzels Forlag, 1879-1979. url p. 160.
- Memoirs of the San Diego Society of Natural History. 3 1968 San Diego, Calif.: The Society, 1931-1989. url fig. 9, page 17, fig. 30, page 39, p. 52.
- Migration of birds. by Frederick C. Linclon; revised by Steven R. Peterson; associate editor Peter A. Anastasi; illustrated by Bob Hines. Washington: Dept. of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service: for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off., 1979. url p. 116.
- Naturalist's guide to the Americas, prepared by the Committee on the Preservation of Natural Conditions of the Ecological Society of America, with assistance from numerous organizations and individuals, assembled and edited by chairman, Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins, 1926. url p. 746, p. 746.
- Nests and eggs of Australian birds, including the geographical distribution of the species and popular observations thereon, by Archibald James Campbell. ... With map, 28 coloured plates and 131 photographic illustrations. Sheffield, Printed for the author by Pawson & Brailsford, 1901. url p. 809.
- Nests and eggs of North American birds / Columbus, [Ohio]: Landon Press, c1898. url .
- North American birds eggs, New York, Doubleday, Page & company, 1904. url .
- North American birds eggs. New York: Dover Pub, . url p. 120.
- North American shore birds; a history of the snipes, sandpipers, plovers and their allies, inhabiting the beaches and marshes of the Atlantic and Pacific coasts, the prairies and the shores of the inland lakes and rivers of the New York: F.P. Harper, 1895. url , p. 260.
- Oologia neerlandica: eggs of birds breeding in the Netherlands / by A.A. van Pelt Lechner. The Hague: Nijhoff, 1910-1913 [i.e. 1911-1913]. url , , , , .
- Pacific coast avifauna / Cooper Ornithnological Club of California. Santa Clara, Calif.: The Club, 1900-1974. url p. 38.
- Proceedings - Dorset Natural History and Archaeological Society. Dorchester, Eng. url p. 194.
- Proceedings and transactions of the South London Entomological & Natural History Society. London: The Society. url p. 55.
- Proceedings of the International Ornithological Congress. [Canberra, etc.]: Australian Academy of Science [etc.] url p. 158, p. 159, p. 388, p. 981.
- Proceedings of the Linnean Society of New South Wales. Sydney, Linnean Society of New South Wales. url p. 216, p. 409.
- Proceedings of the Royal Zoological Society of New South Wales. Mosman, New South Wales [etc.]The Society. url p. 11, p. 11, p. 13, p. 14.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. 10 1887 Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 131, p. 132.
- Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London. London: Academic Press, [etc.], 1833-1965. url p. 496, p. 496.
- Protected Landscapes: experience around the world. Prepared for the International Symposium on Protected Landscapes, Grange-over-Sands, England 5-10 October 1987 IUCN url p. 101, p. 177.
- Records of the Indian Museum. Calcutta: Pub. by order of the trustees of the Indian Museum, . 1907-1962. url p. 129.
- Report of the Australian Association for the advancement of Science. Sidney, The Association. url p. 149.
- Results of the Swedish zoological expedition to Egypt and the White Nile, 1901, under the direction of L.A. Jägerskiöld. [Uppsala]Library of the Royal University of Uppsala[1904-11] url p. 16, p. 2, p. 24, p. 8.
- Revue méthodique et critique des collections déposées dans cet établissement. Leyden, Rijksmuseum van Natuurlijke Historie. url p. 336, p. 96.
- Sketch-book of British birds / by R. Bowdler Sharpe; with coloured illustrations by A.F. and C. Lydon. London: Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge, 1898. url p. 250.
- South Australian ornithologist. Adelaide, South Australian Ornithological Association. url p. 170.
- Special scientific report--wildlife / U.S. Department of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service. Washington, D.C.: The Service, 1949- url p. 118, p. 121, p. 134, p. 164, p. 207, p. 295, p. 311, p. 318, p. 382, p. 669, p. 676, p. 79, p. 90.
- Station bulletin. Durham, N.H.: Agricultural Experiment Station, University of New Hampshire, 1948- url p. 148.
- Studies in bird migration, London, Gurney and Jackson; [etc., etc.]1912. url .
- Studies in bird migration, by William Eagle Clarke. .. with maps, weather charts, and other illustrations. .. London, Gurney and Jackson; [etc., etc.]1912. url p. 336.
- Syllogeus. Ottawa, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1972-1995. url p. 15.
- Territory in bird life / by H. Eliot Howard; with illustrations by G.E. Lodge, and H. Grönvold. London: Murray, 1920. url .
- Territory in bird life, by H. Eliot Howard, with illustrations by G. E. Lodge and H. Grönvold. New York, E. P. Dutton, 1920. url .
- Territory in bird life. London, J. Murray, 1920. url .
- The American oologists' exchange price list of North American birds' eggs, 1922 / compiled by a committee of twenty-five prominent American oologists. Lacon, Ill.: R. Magoon Barnes, 1922. url p. 52.
- The Annals of Scottish natural history. Edinburgh: David Douglas, 1892-1911. url p. 141, p. 74.
- The Auk. Washington, D.C.: American Ornithologists' Union, etc., 1884- url p. 184.
- The British bird book: an account of all the birds, nests and eggs found in the British Isles / ed. by F.B. Kirkman. Illustrated by two hundred drawings and numerous photographs. London: T.C. & E.C. Jack, 1910-13. url p. 451.
- The Canadian bird book: illustrating in natural colors more than seven hundred north American birds, also several hundred photographs of their nests and eggs / by Chester A. Reed. Toronto: Musson Book Co., c1914. url p. 152.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. 49 1935 Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url fig. 158 , p. 22.
- The Emu: official organ of the Australasian Ornithologists' Union. Melbourne: Royal Australasian Ornithologists Union, 1901- url p. 13, p. 199, p. 321, p. 70.
- The Ibis. [London]: Published for the British Ornithologists' Union by Academic Press. url p. 461.
- The Journal of the Bombay Natural History Society. Bombay: The Society, url p. 669, p. 828.
- The Journal of the Natural History Society of Siam. [Bangkok, Thailand]: The Society, url p. 55.
- The Journal of the South African Ornithologists' Union. Pretoria. url p. 19.
- The Marine Mammal Commission compendium of selected treaties, international agreements, and other relevant documents on marine resources, wildlife, and the environment / compiled by Richard L. Wallace. Washington, D.C.: The Commission; 1994 url p. 3482.
- The Philippine journal of science. 16 1920 Manila. url p. 370.
- The Scottish naturalist. Arbroath [etc.]T. Buncle & Co. [etc.] url , p. 105, p. 151, p. 155, p. 155, p. 196, p. 208, p. 228, p. 237, p. 288, p. 45.
- The Warbler. Floral Park: Mayflower Pub. Co., [1903-1913] url p. 76.
- The bird book: illustrating in natural colors more than seven hundred North American birds; also several hundred photographs of their nests and eggs / by Chester A. Reed. Garden City, New York, Doubleday, Page & company, 1915. url p. 152.
- The birds of Australia, London [etc.]Whitcombe and Tombs Limited, 1911. url , .
- The birds of Britain: their distribution and habits / by A. H. Evans. Cambridge: University Press, 1916. url p. 268.
- The birds of Greenland. Boston, Little, Brown and Company[c1891] url , p. 55.
- The birds of North and Middle America: a descriptive catalogue of the higher groups, genera, species, and subspecies of birds known to occur in North America, from the Arctic lands to the Isthmus of Panama, the West Indies and other island Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1901- url , , .
- The birds of Tunisia; being a history of the birds found in the regency of Tunis. By J. I. S. Whitaker. London, R.H. Porter, 1905. url .
- The birds of eastern North America known to occur east of the nineteenth meridian. .. By Charles B. Cory. Boston, Bay State Pub. Co., 1900, c1899. url p. 346.
- The birds of eastern North America: known to occur east of the ninetieth meridian / by Charles B. Cory. Chicago: Field Columbian Museum, 1899. url p. 346.
- The birds of the British Isles and their eggs. by T.A. Coward; with 213 accurately coloured illustrations by Archibald Thorburn and others, reproduced from Lord Lilford's work Coloured figures of the birds of the British Islands, and 69 photograp London; F. Warne, 1920. url p. 171.
- The code of nomenclature and check-list of North American birds adopted by the American Ornithologists' Union; being the report of the Committee of the Union on Classification and Nomenclature. New York, 1886. url p. 154, p. 154, p. 154.
- The eggs of European birds / by Francis C.R. Jourdain. London: R.H. Porter, 1906. url .
- The game birds and wild fowl of the British Islands. Sheffield, Pawson & Brailsford, 1900. url , .
- The geographical distribution of the family Charadriidae, or the plovers, sandpipers, snipes, and their allies / London; H. Sotheran & Co.,  url p. 380, p. 390.
- The history of the collections contained in the natural history departments of the British Museum. by R. Bowdler Sharpe. London, 1906. url p. 405.
- The journal of the Natural History Society of Siam. [London: Luzac, 1914]-1924. url p. 32.
- The natural history of the USSR / Algirdas Knystautas; foreword by Vladimir Flint; [translation, John S. Scott]. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1987. url p. 199, p. 219.
- The ornithology of Illinois / [by Robert Ridgway and S.A. Forbes]. Springfield, Ill., H.W. Rokker, printer, 1889-1895. url p. 56.
- The ornithology of Illinois. Part I. Descriptive catalogue. By Robert Ridgway. Part II. Economic ornithology. By S. A. Forbes. Pub. by the authority of the state Legislature. Springfield, Ill., H. W. Rokker, printer, 1889-95. url p. 56, p. 58, p. 58.
- The sportsman's British bird book / by R. Lydekker. London: Rowland Ward, 1908. url p. 87.
- The standard catalogue of North American birds eggs. Albion, N.Y., F.H. Lattin, 1892. url p. 16.
- The vertebrate fauna of Cheshire and Liverpool Bay / London: Witherby, 1910. url p. 415.
- The water-fowl family / by L. C. Sanford, L. B. Bishop and T. S. Van Dyke. New York: Macmillan, 1903. url p. 588.
- The water-fowl family, London, Macmillan and Co., Ltd., 1903. url , p. 588, p. 588.
- Transactions of the Academy of Science of St. Louis. [St. Louis: Academy of Science of St. Louis], 1860-1958. url p. 33, p. 33, p. 38, p. 38.
- BirdLife International 2008. Limosa limosa. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloadedon 01February2012.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 10, 2012.
- IUCN 2012. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. . Downloaded on January 28, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 27, 2007:
- Biologiezentrum der Oberoesterreichischen Landesmuseen, Biologiezentrum Linz
- Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility, Provincial Museum of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada. Birds
- Marine Science Institute, UCSB, Paleobiology Database
- Provider, Online Zoological Collections of Australian Museums
- Senckenberg, Collection Aves
- The Danish Biodiversity Information Facility, Western Palearctic migrants in continental Africa
- University of Michigan Museum of Zoology
- , Bird specimens
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 8110
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-176691
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 2481685
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 176691
- IUCN ID: 219625
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 406492
- Standard Deviation = 177.370 based on 10,544 observations. Altitude information for each observation from British Oceanographic Data Centre. [back]
- BirdLife International 2008. Limosa limosa. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloaded on 01 February 2012. [back]