Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Danish:
Common Names in English:
Mud dab, Rusty dab, rusty flounder, Sandy dab, Yellowtail, Yellowtail Filefish, yellowtail flounder
Common Names in Finnish:
Common Names in French:
Limande , limande à queue jaune, limande Ã queue jaune
Common Names in Mandarin Chinese:
大西洋鰈, 大西洋鲽, 大西洋黃蓋鰈, 大西洋黄盖鲽
Common Names in Polish:
Common Names in Portuguese:
Solha dos mares do norte, Solha-dos-mares-do-norte
Common Names in Rumanian:
Cambula cu coada galbena
Common Names in Russian:
Common Names in Spanish:
Limanda, Platija amarilla
Typically found in water with a depth of 0 to -5,326 meters (0 to -17,474 feet).
Biome: Marine .
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Bateson, 1885
- Cuvier, 1812
- Jawed Vertebrates
- Huxley, 1880
- Huxley, 1880
- Subclass: Actinopterygii ()
- Class: Osteichthyes () - Huxley, 1880
- Superclass: Osteichthyes () - Huxley, 1880
- Infraphylum: Gnathostomata () - auct. - Jawed Vertebrates
- Subphylum: Vertebrata () - Cuvier, 1812 - Vertebrates
- Phylum: Chordata () - Bateson, 1885 - Chordates
- Infrakingdom: Chordonia () - (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Deuterostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Limanda ferruginea • Limanda ferruginea (Storer) • Limanda oceanica Bonaparte • Limanda vulgaris Gottsche • Platessa ferruginea • Platessa ferruginea Storer • Platessa ferruginea Storer, 1839 • Pleuronectes ferruginaeus (Storer • Pleuronectes ferruginea (Storer • Pleuronectes ferrugineus (Storer • Pleuronectes limandula Bonnaterre
Members of the genus Limanda
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 9 species and subspecies in this genus:
L. aspera (Yellowfin Sole) · L. ferruginea (Yellowtail Filefish) · L. herzensteini (Littlemouth Flounder) · L. limanda (Garve Fluke) · L. proboscidea (Longhead Dab) · L. punctatissima (Longsnout Flounder) · L. punctatissimus (Dab) · L. sakhalinensis (Sakhalin Sole) · L. schrenki (Cresthead Flounder)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- ... Catalogue of the fishes of New York. By Tarleton H. Bean. .. Albany, University of the state of New York, 1903. url p. 726.
- A biological survey of the waters of Woods Hole and vicinity / By Francis B. Sumner, Raymond C. Osburn, and Leon J. Cole. Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1913 url p. 163, p. 164, p. 584, p. 588, p. 594, p. 772.
- A catalogue of the fishes known to inhabit the waters of North America, north of the Tropic of Cancer, with notes on the species discovered in 1883 and 1884, by David Starr Jordan. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1885. url p. 136.
- A checklist of Canadian Atlantic fishes with keys for identification / Toronto, Royal Ontario Museum, 1965 url p. 18, p. 84, p. 99.
- A guide book to the marine fishes of Rhode Island. Photos by the author. Watch Hill, R. I., Book and Tackle Shop url p. 101, p. 38.
- A guide to the study of fishes, New York, H. Holt, 1905. url .
- A guide to the study of fishes, by David Starr Jordan. .. New York, H. Holt and Company, 1905. url p. 174, p. 493.
- A list of common and scientific names of fishes from the United States and Canada. Report presented at the eighty-ninth annual meeting, Clearwater, Fla., Sept. 16-18, 1959. Ann Arbor, Mich., 1960. url p. 47.
- A manual of the vertebrate animals of the northern United States: including the district north and east of the Ozark mountains, south of the Laurentian hills, north of the southern boundary of Virginia, and east of the Missouri river, inclusive of marine species / Chicago:A. C. McClurg, 1916. url .
- A systematic monograph of the flatfishes (Heterosomata) / By J.R. Norman, &c. London, 1934. url p. 338, p. 347, p. 437.
- Abstract of the proceedings of the Linnaean Society of New York. [New York]: The Society, [1889-1932]. url p. 153.
- American fishes; a popular treatise upon the game and food fishes of North America, with especial reference to habits and methods of capture, Boston, L. C. Page[c1903]. url .
- American food and game fishes. A popular account of all the species found in America north of the equator, with keys for ready identification, life histories and methods of capture, . by David Starr Jordan...and Barton Warren Evermann...illustrated with colored plates and text drawings, and with photographs from life, by A. Radclyffe Dugmore. Garden City, N.Y., Doubleday, Page & Co., 1908. url p. 528.
- American food and game fishes: A popular account of all the species found in America north of the equator, with keys of ready identification, life histories and methods of capture New York: Doubleday, Page & co., 1902. url .
- American food and game fishes: a popular account of all the species found in America, north of the equator, with keys for ready identification, life histories and methods of capture, by David Starr Jordan and Barton Warren Evermann; with photos. from life by A. Radclyffe Dugmore. New York: Doubleday, Page, 1908, c1902. url p. 528.
- An annotated catalogue of the fishes of Maine. Portland, Me., 1914. url p. 105, p. 131, p. 133, p. 138, p. 71, p. 73.
- An ecological characterization of Coastal Maine (north and east of Cape Elizabeth) / Stewart I. Fefer and Patricia S. Schettig: principal investigators. Newton Corner, Mass.: Department of the Interior, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Northeast Region, 1980. url .
- Annual report / New York State Museum. Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, c1904-1920. url p. 726.
- Annual report of the Commissioners of Fisheries, Game and Forests of the State of New York. Albany, N.Y.: The Commission, 1896-1900 url p. 458.
- Annual report of the New Jersey State Museum, 1911: including a list of the specimens and publications received during the year, with a report of the crustacea of New Jersey. Trenton, N.J.: MacCrellish & Quigley, 1912. url p. 91.
- Bulletin - New York State Museum. Albany: New York State Education Dept. url p. 726.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url , p. 349.
- Bulletin of the Bureau of Fisheries. Washington, D.C.: Govt. Print. Off., 1905-1950. url p. 163, p. 164, p. 495, p. 6.
- Bulletin of the Essex Institute. Salem, Mass., Essex Institute. url p. 6.
- Bulletin of the Museum of Comparative Zoology at Harvard College. Cambridge, Mass.: The Museum, 1863- url p. 114, p. 277, p. 277, p. 3, p. 3, p. 49, p. 49, p. 5, p. 5.
- Bulletin. Salem, Mass. url p. 32, p. 6.
- Carotenoids, their comparative biochemistry. New York, Chemical Pub. Co., 1954. url p. 174, p. 334.
- Check list of the fishes of the Dominion of Canada and Newfoundland. Ottawa, Printed by C. H. Parmelee, 1913. url , , .
- Commercial fisheries review. [Washington]: National Marine Fisheries Service; [for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off.] url p. 10, p. 101, p. 13, p. 17, p. 40, p. 42, p. 78.
- Comparative embryology of the vertebrates; with 2057 drawings and photos. grouped as 380 illus. New York, Blakiston url p. 10, p. 19, p. 949, p. 972.
- Contributions to Canadian biology. Toronto, Biological Board of Canada. url p. 113, p. 69.
- Contributions. Providence, R. I. url p. 174, p. 64, p. 78.
- Copeia. [New York, N.Y., etc.]: American Society of Ichthyologists and Herpetologists. url , , , .
- Current bibliography for aquatic sciences and fisheries. London, Taylor & Francis ltd. url , , , p. 297, p. 32, p. 324, p. 37, p. 9, p. 96.
- Davids Island phase I: a short-term ecological survey of western Long Island Sound / by U.S. Dept. of Commerce, National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration, National Marine Fisheries Service, Middle Atlantic Coastal Fisheries Center, Ecosystems Investigations, Sandy Hook Laboratory. Highlands, N.J.: The Laboratory,  url p. 18.
- Dean bibliography of fishes. New York: American Museum of Natural History, 1971-1973. url p. 287, p. 287, p. 317, p. 319, p. 321, p. 465, p. 497, p. 499, p. 522, p. 558, p. 621, p. 631, p. 75.
- Distribution and abundance of fishes and invertebrates in North Atlantic estuaries. Silver Spring, Md.: U.S. Dept. of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, National Ocean Service, 1994- url p. 215.
- Establishing a 200-mile fisheries zone: (implementation of the Fishery conservation and management act of 1976): working papers / OTA Oceans Program staff; Robert W. Niblock, program manager. Washington: Congress of the United States, Office of Technology Assessment, 1977. url p. 7.
- FWS/0BS. [Washington]Fish and Wildlife Service, U.S. Dept. of the Interior. url p. 20.
- Fauna of New England, 8. List of the pisces, by William C. Kendall. Boston, Printed for the [Boston] Society [of Natural History] from the G. Saltonstall Fund, 1908. url , p. 147.
- Fauna of New England. Boston, Printed for the [Boston] Society [of Natural History] from the Gurdon Saltonstall Fund, 1904-25. url .
- Fisheries and fishery resources of New York Bight / J.L. McHugh. [Seattle, WA]: U.S. Dept. of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, National Marine Fisheries Service; 1977. url p. 35.
- Fishery bulletin / U.S. Dept. of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, National Marine Fisheries Service. Washington, D.C.: The Service: url , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , p. 1, p. 1009, p. 107, p. 110, p. 112, p. 1316, p. 141, p. 144, p. 15, p. 159, p. 160, p. 167, p. 207, p. 22, p. 273, p. 285, p. 341, p. 354, p. 357, p. 360, p. 361, p. 363, p. 365, p. 381, p. 426, p. 434, p. 465, p. 467, p. 482, p. 488, p. 506, p. 509, p. 519, p. 519, p. 520, p. 554, p. 574, p. 609, p. 641, p. 641, p. 672, p. 716, p. 731, p. 739, p. 751, p. 782, p. 854, p. 855, p. 856, p. 857, p. 877, p. 888, p. 890, p. 891, p. 892, p. 894, p. 897, p. 898, p. 903, p. 91, p. 93, p. 931, p. 947, p. 948, p. 991, p. 992.
- Fishery bulletin. United States Fish and Wildlife Service. Washington, The Service, U.S. Govt Print. Off. url , , , , p. 169, p. 233, p. 271, p. 272, p. 273, p. 334, p. 649, p. 650, p. 651.
- Fishery circular / U.S. Department of Commerce, Bureau of Fisheries. [Washington]: The Bureau, 1931-1939. url p. 161, p. 35, p. 50.
- Fishery leaflet / United States Department of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service. Washington, D.C.: The Service, url p. 3, p. 9.
- Fishery statistics of the United States / prepared by Data Management and Statistics Division. Washington, D.C.: Dept. of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, National Marine Fisheries Service: url p. 220, p. 232, p. 257, p. 262, p. 350, p. 391, p. 399, p. 432, p. 434, p. 441, p. 463, p. 464, p. 497, p. 504, p. 516, p. 553, p. 730.
- Fishes of the Gulf of Maine, by Henry B. Bigelow and William C. Schroeder. Washington, United States Government Printing Office, 1953. url , p. 272, p. 273, p. 320, p. 340.
- Fishes of the Gulf of Maine. By Henry B. Bigelow. .. and William W. Welsh. .. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1925. url p. 495, p. 496, p. 6.
- Fishes of the vicinity of New York City / by John Treadwell Nichols, with an introduction by William K. Gregory. New York: American Museum of Natural History, 1918. url p. 117.
- Fishes, New York, H. Holt and Company, 1907. url , .
- Georges Bank benthic infauna monitoring program: final report for second year of sampling (July, 1982-May, 1983) / [Nancy Maciolek-Blake. .. et al.] Washington, D.C.: Prepared for U.S. Dept. of Interior, Minerals Management Service by Battelle New England Research Laboratory and Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, 1984. url p. 125, p. 13, p. 171, p. 27.
- Goldfish breeds and other aquarium fishes, their care and propagation: a guide to freshwater and marine aquaria, their fauna, flora and management. With 280 explanatory illustrations, printed with the text / by Herman T. Wolf... Philadelphia: Innes & sons, [c1908] url p. 320.
- Guide to marine fishes; [a new method for identification of marine fishes. New York]New York University Press url p. 277, p. 325, p. 427.
- Hormones and heredity, a discussion of the evolution of adaptations and the evolution of species. London, Constable, 1921. url p. 222.
- Hormones and heredity; a discussion of the evolution of adaptations and the evolution of species; by J. T. Cunningham. London, Constable, 1921. url p. 222.
- Ichthyoplankton from the RV DOLPHIN survey of continental shelf waters between Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts and Cape Lookout, North Carolina, 1965-66 / by P. L. Berrien. .. [et al.]. Highlands, N.J.: Sandy Hook Laboratory, Northeast Fisheries Center, National Marine Fisheries Serice, 1978. url p. 118, p. 88.
- Illinois biological monographs. Urbana, Univ. of Illinois Press. url p. 238.
- Industrial fishery technology: a survey of methods for domestic harvesting, preservation, and processing of fish used for food and for industrial products New York: Reinhold, 1963. url p. 72.
- Journal of the Marine Biological Association of the United Kingdom. Cambridge [etc.]Cambridge University Press [etc.] url p. 256, p. 343.
- Manual of the vertebrate animals of the northern U.S.. .. inclusive of the marine species. Chicago, McClurg, 1894, c1876-88. url .
- Marine and estuarine environments, organisms, and geology of the Cape Cod region; an indexed bibliography, 1665-1965 [by] Anne E. Yentsch [and others. Woods Hole, Mass., Systematics Ecology Program, Marine Biological Laboratory[c1966] url p. 118, p. 94.
- Monitoring the marine environment of Long Island Sound at Millstone Nuclear Power Station, Waterford, Connecticut: three operational studies, 1986-1987 / [prepared by the Environmental Laboratory staff of Northeast Utilities Service Company]. Waterford, Connecticut: Northeast Utilities,  url p. 304.
- NOAA technical report NMFS SSRF. Seattle, Wash.: National Marine Fisheries Service; url , p. 1, p. 10, p. 14, p. 4, p. 52, p. 57, p. 6, p. 67.
- Natural science: a monthly review of scientific progress. London [etc.]: Macmillan and Company [etc.], [1892-1899] url p. 234.
- New Haven Harbor ecological studies summary report, 1970-1977 / prepared for the United Illuminating Company, New Haven, Connecticut by Normandeau Associates, inc., Bedford, New Hampshire; edited by Andrew J. McCusker, Weldon S. Bosworth. Bedford, N.H.: Normandeau, 1979. url p. 104, p. 12, p. 52, p. 53, p. 68, p. 84.
- North American pseudophyllidean cestodes from fishes. [UrbanaUniversity of Illinois][c1919] url p. 111.
- Notes on Entozoa of marine fishes of New England: with descriptions of several new species. Part II / by Edwin Linton. Washington: Government Printing Office, 1890. url p. 734, p. 736.
- Ocean dumping in the New York Bight: an assessment of environmental studies / by George Pararas-Carayannis. Fort Belvoir, Va.: Available from NTIS, 1973. url p. 90.
- Oceanic ichthyology: a treatise on the deep-sea and pelagic fishes of the world, based chiefly upon the collections made by the steamers "Blake, " "Albatross, " and "Fishhawk" in the northwestern Atlantic, with an atlas con by George Brown Goode and Tarleton H. Bean. Pub. in connection with the National Museum and the Smithsonian institution. 22 1896 Cambridge, U.S.A.: Printed for the Museum, 1896. url p. 427, p. 428, p. 429.
- Oceanus. Woods Hole, Mass., Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution url p. 12.
- Our living oceans: the first annual report on the status of U.S. living marine resources. [Washington, D.C.]: U.S. Dept. of Commerce, 1991. url p. 116.
- Oxygen depletion and associated benthic mortalities in New York Bight, 1976 / editors, R. Lawrence Swanson, Carl J. Sindermann. Rockville, Md.: National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration; 1979. url p. 300, p. 303.
- Pamphlets on forestry. Fish and game. [1900?- url p. 2644, p. 3311.
- Parasites of fishes of the Woods Hole region. By Edwin Linton. .. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1901. url p. 411, p. 415.
- Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington. Washington, Biological Society of Washington url p. 190, p. 210, p. 258.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url , p. 332, p. 362, p. 418, p. 432, p. 473, p. 474, p. 504, p. 76, p. 78, p. 787.
- Publications in zoology = Publications en zoologie. Ottawa: National Museums of Canada, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1970-1982. url p. 10.
- Report of the Commissioner for. .. / United States Commission of Fish and Fisheries. Washington: G.P.O., 1874-1905. url , , , p. 11, p. 11, p. 220, p. 25, p. 287, p. 287, p. 288, p. 333, p. 333, p. 336, p. 336, p. 504, p. 504, p. 732, p. 736, p. 898, p. 924.
- Report of the United States Commissioner of Fisheries for the fiscal year. .. with appendixes Washington: G.P.O., 1914- url p. 227.
- Science. New York, N.Y.: [s.n.]1880- url p. 597.
- Seasonal distribution of the plankton of the Woods Hole region. Washington, D.C.: U.S. G.P.O, 1925. url p. 172.
- Smithsonian contributions to knowledge. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1848-1916. url p. 427.
- Smithsonian miscellaneous collections. 19 1878 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1862-1968. url p. 362, p. 472, p. 78.
- Some North American fish trematodes, Urbana, Ill., c1926 url p. 137, p. 9.
- Special bulletin / Smithsonian Institution, United States National Museum. Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1892- url p. 427, p. 429.
- Special scientific report. Seattle, National Marine Fisheries Service; for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off., 1949-1971. url p. 11, p. 13, p. 7.
- Syllogeus. Ottawa, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1972-1995. url p. 20.
- The Biological bulletin. Woods Hole, Mass.: Marine Biological Laboratory, url p. 231, p. 368, p. 56, p. 56.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. 40 1926 Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url fig. 3 , p. 177, p. 200, p. 5.
- The Marine Mammal Commission compendium of selected treaties, international agreements, and other relevant documents on marine resources, wildlife, and the environment / compiled by Richard L. Wallace. Washington, D.C.: The Commission; 1994 url p. 1268.
- The fisheries and fishery industries of the United States. Prepared through the co-operation of the commissioner of fisheries and the superintendent of the tenth census by George Brown Goode. .. and a staff of associates. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1884-87. url p. 184.
- The fishes found in the vicinity of Woods Hole. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1898. url p. 108.
- The fishes of North and Middle America a descriptive catalogue of the species of fish-like vertebrates found in the waters of North America, north of the Isthmus of Panama / by David Starr Jordan and Barton Warren Evermann. Washington: G.P.O., 1898. url .
- Transactions - American Fisheries Society. Lawrence, Kan. [etc.] url p. 126.
- Treaties and other international agreements on fisheries, oceanographic resources, and wildlife to which the United States is party / prepared at the request of Hon. Warren G. Magnuson for the use of the Committee on Commerce, United States Senate, by the Congressional Research Service, the Library of Congress. Washington, D.C.: U.S. G.P.O., 1974. url p. 890, p. 893.
- [A biological survey of the waters of Woods Hole and vicinity. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1913] url p. 163, p. 164.
- Amaoka, Kunio (from FishBase).
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 10, 2012.
- FishBase. Release date: January 5, 2010
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility. Accessed March 02, 2008. http://www.gbif.org Mediated distribution data from 7 providers.
- Ruggiero M., Gordon D., Bailly N., Kirk P., Nicolson D. (2011). The Catalogue of Life Taxonomic Classification, Edition 2, Part A. In: Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2011 Annual Checklist (Bisby F.A., Roskov Y.R., Orrell T.M., Nicolson D., Paglinawan L.E., Bailly N., Kirk P.M., Bourgoin T., Baillargeon G., Ouvrard D., eds). DVD; Species 2000: Reading, UK.
- Sobel, J. 1996. Pleuronectes ferrugineus. In: IUCN 2004. 2004 IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. www.redlist.org . Downloaded on 30 January 2005.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal March 02, 2008:
- Canadian Museum of Nature: Canadian Museum of Nature Fish Collection
- Cornell University Museum of Vertebrates: Fish Collection
- FishBase: FishBase DiGIR Provider - Philippine Server
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: A Biological Survey of the Waters of Woods Hole and Vacinity
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: Atlantic Reference Centre (OBIS Canada)
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: Bay of Fundy Species List (OBIS Canada)
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: Canadian Museum of Nature - Fish Collection (OBIS Canada)
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: DFO Maritimes Research Vessel Trawl Surveys Fish Observations (OBIS Canada)
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: ECNASAP - East Coast North America Strategic Assessment (OBIS Canada)
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: Electronic Atlas of Ichthyoplankton on the Scotian Shelf of North America (OBIS Canada)
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: Gulf of Maine Bottom Trawl Survey Data (NEFSC,NMFS,NOAA)(USOBIS)
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: NODC WOD01 Plankton Database
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: Nova Scotia Museum of Natural History - Marine Birds, Mammals, and Fishes (OBIS Canada)
- Museum national d'histoire naturelle: Ichtyologie
- Museum of Comparative Zoology, Harvard University: MCZ Fish Collection
- Royal Ontario Museum: Fish specimens
- University of Kansas Biodiversity Research Center: Fish Collection
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 130815
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: Fis-16989
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 13779245
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 172909
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 9336