Common Names in English:
Portly Spider Crab
With a prominent rostrum that is divided into 2 processes (these may be partly or wholly fused).
Typically found in the intertidal zone at the water's edge at a mean distance from sea level of -22.79 meters (-74.77 feet).
- Chatton, 1925
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- A.M.A. Aguinaldo et al., 1997 ex T. Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Latreille, 1829
- Zrzavý et al., 1997
- (Chernyshev, 1960)
- Pennant, 1777
- Zrzavý et al., 1997
- Latreille, 1802
- Grobben, 1892
- Calman, 1904
- Latreille, 1802
- Suborder: Pleocyemata () - Burkenroad, 1963
- Order: Decapoda () - Latreille, 1802 - Decapods
- Superorder: Eucarida () - Calman, 1904
- Subclass: Eumalacostraca () - Grobben, 1892
- Class: Malacostraca () - Latreille, 1802
- Epiclass: Eucrustacea () - Zrzavý et al., 1997
- Superclass: Crustacea () - Pennant, 1777 - Crustaceans
- Infraphylum: Crustaceomorpha () - (Chernyshev, 1960)
- Subphylum: Pancrustacea () - Zrzavý et al., 1997
- Phylum: Arthropoda () - Latreille, 1829 - Arthropods
- Superphylum: Panarthropoda () - Cuvier
- Infrakingdom: Ecdysozoa () - A.M.A. Aguinaldo et al., 1997 ex T. Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Protostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - Animals
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 02-Feb-2005
Members of the genus Libinia
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 3 species and subspecies in this genus:
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- ...Scientific results of the cruises of the yachts "Eagle" and "Ara", 1921-1928, William K. Vanderbilt, commanding. Crustacea... By Lee Boone. Huntington, N. Y., Priv. print. [The Science press printing company, Lancaster, Pa.]1930- url p. 84.
- 1985 monitoring surveys at the central Long Island Sound disposal site: an assessment of impacts from disposal and Hurricane Gloria / submitted to: Regulatory Branch, New England Division, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers; submitted by: J.H. Parker, E.C. Revelas [of] Science Applications International Corporation. Waltham, MA: U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, New England Division, 1989. url p. 24.
- A biological survey of the waters of Woods Hole and vicinity / By Francis B. Sumner, Raymond C. Osburn, and Leon J. Cole. Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1913 url p. 138, p. 141, p. 142, p. 332, p. 58, p. 60, p. 61, p. 65, p. 66, p. 67, p. 670, p. 68, p. 70, p. 71, p. 72, p. 73, p. 735, p. 8, p. 848.
- A history of Crustacea: recent Malacostraca / by the Rev. Thomas R. R. Stebbing. New York: D. Appleton company, 1893. url p. 454.
- A history of Crustacea; recent Malacostraca, by the Rev. Thomas R. R. Stebbing. .. with numerous illustrations. New York: D. Appleton and company, 1893. url p. 120.
- A manual of the common invertebrate animals, exclusive of insects / by Henry Sherring Pratt. .. with over one thousand illustrations. Chicago: A.C. McClurg & Co., 1923. url p. 395.
- A manual of zoology / by Richard Hertwig New York: H. Holt, 1909, c1902 url p. 436.
- A manual of zoology, by Richard Hertwig. New York, H. Holt, 1912. url p. 382.
- Alaska. .. New York, Doubleday, Page & Company, 1901- url p. 175.
- Alaska. New York, Doubleday, Page & company, 1901- url p. 175.
- Allan Hancock Pacific expeditions. [Reports] Los Angeles, University of Southern California Press. url p. 17, p. 322.
- An ecological characterization of Coastal Maine (north and east of Cape Elizabeth) / Stewart I. Fefer and Patricia S. Schettig: principal investigators. Newton Corner, Mass.: Department of the Interior, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Northeast Region, 1980. url .
- Animals of the seashore, by Horace G. Richards. Boston, B. Humphries, inc.[c1938] url p. 227, p. 228, p. 270.
- Annual report of the Board of Regents of the Smithsonian Institution. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, -1965. url p. 327, p. 657.
- Annual report of the Commissioners of Inland Fisheries made to the General Assembly / State of Rhode Island. Providence: The Commissioners. url .
- Annual report of the New Jersey State Museum, 1911: including a list of the specimens and publications received during the year, with a report of the crustacea of New Jersey. Trenton, N.J.: MacCrellish & Quigley, 1912. url , p. 386, p. 583, p. 646.
- Annual report of the New York Zoological Society. New York: New York Zoological Society, 1897- url p. 99.
- Bulletin - New York State Museum. Albany: New York State Education Dept. url p. 145.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url , , , p. 111, p. 26, p. 310, p. 311, p. 575, p. 8.
- Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History). London: BM(NH) url p. 62, p. 65.
- Bulletin of the Bureau of Fisheries. Washington, D.C.: Govt. Print. Off., 1905-1950. url p. 138, p. 141, p. 142, p. 456, p. 475, p. 58, p. 59, p. 60, p. 61, p. 65, p. 66, p. 67, p. 68, p. 70, p. 71, p. 8.
- Catalogue of scientific papers (1800-1900) Comp. by the Royal society of London. Cambridge, C. J. Clay and sons, 1867-1902; url p. 109.
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. Compiled by the Royal Society of London. London, C.J. Clay and Sons, 1867-1902 [etc.] Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1914-25. url p. 109.
- Catalogue of the collections in the museums of the University of North Dakota / prepared by Henry Montgomery. Grand Forks: [Plaindealer Book and Job Rooms]1888. url p. 36.
- College zoology [by] Robert W. Hegner [and] Karl A. Stiles. New York, Macmillan url p. 218.
- Contributions to Canadian biology. Toronto, Biological Board of Canada. url p. 253, p. 277.
- Current bibliography for aquatic sciences and fisheries. London, Taylor & Francis ltd. url p. 111, p. 912.
- Decapod crustacea of Bermuda. By Addison E. Verrill. New Haven, Conn., The Tuttle, Morehouse & Taylor Press, 1908-1922. url p. 396.
- Decapod crustaceans of the northwest coast of North America. .. New York, 1904. url p. 175.
- Dwellers of the sea and shore, by William Crowder; drawings and photographs by the author. .. New York, The Macmillan Company, 1935. url p. 332, p. 71.
- FWS/0BS. [Washington]Fish and Wildlife Service, U.S. Dept. of the Interior. url p. 25.
- Features of various offshore structures / by Joseph Peraino. .. [et al.]. Fort Belvoir, Va.: Coastal Engineering Research Center, 1975. url p. 18.
- Fishery bulletin / U.S. Dept. of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, National Marine Fisheries Service. Washington, D.C.: The Service: url , , , p. 1014, p. 1158, p. 155, p. 159, p. 161, p. 169, p. 173, p. 176, p. 176, p. 197, p. 433, p. 471, p. 59, p. 60, p. 61, p. 62, p. 64, p. 697, p. 710, p. 831, p. 832, p. 834, p. 835, p. 837, p. 838, p. 839, p. 840, p. 897, p. 898, p. 989.
- Fishery bulletin. United States Fish and Wildlife Service. Washington, The Service, U.S. Govt Print. Off. url p. 252, p. 253.
- General embryological information service. Utrecht, Hubrecht Laboratory. url p. 115, p. 39, p. 69.
- General zoology / by H. L. Wieman. New York; McGraw-Hill book company, inc., 1938. url p. 347, p. 422.
- Goldfish breeds and other aquarium fishes, their care and propagation: a guide to freshwater and marine aquaria, their fauna, flora and management. With 280 explanatory illustrations, printed with the text / by Herman T. Wolf... Philadelphia: Innes & sons, [c1908] url p. 309.
- Handbook of respiration. Analysis and compilation by Philip L. Altman, John F. Gibson, Jr. [and] Charles C. Wang. Edited by Dorothy S. Dittmer [and] Rudolph M. Grebe. Prepared under the direction of the Committee on the Handb Philadelphia, Saunders url p. 310.
- Harriman Alaska series. City of Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1910-1914. url p. 175.
- Higher Crustacea of New York City By Frederick C. Paulmier Albany, New York State Education Dept., 1905 url p. 145.
- Higher Crustacea of New York city. Albany, New York State Education Department, 1905. url .
- Introduction to zoology; a guide to the study of animals, for the use of secondary schools; by Charles Benedict Davenport. .. and Gertrude Crotty Davenport. .. With three hundred and eleven illustrations. London, Macmillan company;1900. url p. 108, p. 108.
- Keys to marine invertebrates of the Woods Hole region: a manual for the identification of the more common marine invertebrates / compiled by Ralph I. Smith with the assistance of many other contributors. Woods Hole, Mass.: Systematics-Ecology Program, Marine Biological Laboratory, 1964. url p. 118, p. 122, p. 126.
- List of marine invertebrata from the New England Coast: distributed by the U.S. Commission of Fish and Fisheries. Washington: The Institution, 1881 url p. 227.
- List of marine invertebrates, mainly from the New England coast, distributed by the United States National Museum. prepared by Richard Rathbun. Washington: United States National Museum, 1882 url p. 298.
- List of the specimens of Crustacea in the collection of the British Museum. London, Printed by order of the Trustees [by E. Newman]1847. url p. 4.
- Marine flora and fauna of the northeastern United States, Crustacea: Decapoda / Austin B. Williams. Seattle: U.S. Dept. of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, National Marine Fisheries Service; 1974. url p. 27, p. 42.
- Marine products of commerce; their acquisition, handling, biological aspects, and the science and techology of their preparation and preservation, by Donald K. Tressler and James McW. Lemon in collaboration with Alexander E. Alexander [and others] New York, Book Division, Reinhold, 1951. url p. 610.
- Medusae of the world, by Alfred Goldsborough Mayer. Washington, D.C., Carnegie institution of Washington, 1910. url p. 114.
- Methods for obtaining and handling marine eggs and embryos [by] Donald P. Costello and Catherine Henley. Woods Hole, Mass., 1971. url p. 167, p. vii.
- NOAA technical report NMFS SSRF. Seattle, Wash.: National Marine Fisheries Service; url p. 7, p. 9.
- Natural history of New York. Albany: D. Appleton: 1842-1894. url p. 2, p. 2.
- Natural history of economic crustaceans of the United States. By Richard Rathbun. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1893. url p. 778.
- New Haven Harbor ecological studies summary report, 1970-1977 / prepared for the United Illuminating Company, New Haven, Connecticut by Normandeau Associates, inc., Bedford, New Hampshire; edited by Andrew J. McCusker, Weldon S. Bosworth. Bedford, N.H.: Normandeau, 1979. url p. 27, p. 41, p. 42, p. 49.
- Occasional papers of the Boston Society of Natural History. Boston, Boston Society of Natural History, 1869-1941. url .
- Occasional papers of the California Academy of Sciences. San Francisco: California Academy of Sciences, url p. 43.
- Oxygen depletion and associated benthic mortalities in New York Bight, 1976 / editors, R. Lawrence Swanson, Carl J. Sindermann. Rockville, Md.: National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration; 1979. url p. 286.
- Physical characters of the portion of the continental border beneath the Gulf Stream explored by the Fish-Hawk, 1880 to 1882. Washington (D.C.): Government Printing Office, 1884. url p. 1053.
- Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia, Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia url , p. 105, p. 386, p. 386.
- Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington. Washington, Biological Society of Washington url p. 132.
- Proceedings of the National Shellfisheries Association. Plymouth, Mass., Published for the National Shellfisheries Association by MPG Communications. url p. 65.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 119, p. 212, p. 235, p. 298, p. 304, plate 31, p. 492, p. 505, p. 515, p. v.
- Publications in biological oceanography / Ottawa: The Museum, 1970-1982. url p. 21.
- Recent advances in invertebrate physiology; a symposium sponsored by the National Science Foundation, the Tektronix Foundation [and] the University of Oregon. Bradley T. Scheer, editor; Theodore H. Bullock, Lewis H. Kleinholz [and] Arthur W. Martin, associate editors. Eugene, University of Oregon Publications, 1957. url p. 219, p. 225.
- Report of the Commissioner for. .. / United States Commission of Fish and Fisheries. Washington: G.P.O., 1874-1905. url p. 333.
- Report. New York url p. 82.
- Science. New York, N.Y.: [s.n.]1880- url p. 664.
- Sea-shore life; the invertebrates of the New York coast and the adjacent coast region, by Alfred Goldsborough Mayer. [New York]A. S. Barnes, 1905. url fig. 77 , p. 109.
- Seasonal distribution of the plankton of the Woods Hole region. Washington, D.C.: U.S. G.P.O, 1925. url p. 160, p. 161.
- Smithsonian miscellaneous collections. 22 1882 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1862-1968. url p. 119, fig. 16, p. 227, p. 298, p. 304, p. 47, p. 492, p. 653.
- Studies on gregarines II: Synopsis of the polycystid gregarines of the world, excluding those from the Myriapoda, Orthoptera, and Coleoptera, with four plates, by Minnie Watson Kamm. Urbana, Ill.: University of Illinois press, c1922 url p. 13.
- Studies on gregarines, including descriptions of twenty-one new species and a synopsis of the eugregarine records from the Myriapoda, Coleoptera and Orthoptera of the world, with fifteen plates, by Minnie Elizabeth Watson. Urbana, University of Illinois, 1916 url p. 13.
- Synopsis of California stalk-eyed Crustacea, San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences, 1900. url p. 43.
- Synopsis of California stalk-eyed crustacea. San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences, 1900. url p. 43.
- Textbook of zoology / by George Edwin Potter. St. Louis: Mosby, 1947. url p. 780.
- The Biological bulletin. Woods Hole, Mass.: Marine Biological Laboratory, url , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , p. 100, p. 118, p. 119, p. 15, p. 152, p. 16, p. 163, p. 164, p. 165, p. 166, p. 168, p. 168, p. 169, p. 169, p. 170, p. 170, p. 171, p. 171, p. 172, p. 172, p. 173, p. 174, p. 175, p. 180, p. 183, p. 19, p. 190, p. 200, p. 204, p. 204, p. 206, p. 206, p. 207, p. 207, p. 211, p. 211, p. 213, p. 218, p. 219, p. 226, p. 226, p. 227, p. 229, p. 229, p. 231, p. 232, p. 232, p. 238, p. 247, p. 249, p. 25, p. 257, p. 263, p. 267, p. 271, p. 272, p. 273, p. 273, p. 274, p. 276, p. 276, p. 277, p. 277, p. 308, p. 309, p. 31, p. 317, p. 331, p. 346, p. 35, p. 354, p. 355, p. 358, p. 36, p. 36, p. 363, p. 366, p. 368, p. 379, p. 38, p. 386, p. 387, p. 387, p. 389, p. 39, p. 390, p. 392, p. 398, p. 398, p. 399, p. 400, p. 405, p. 405, p. 415, p. 420, p. 422, p. 422, p. 423, p. 423, p. 425, p. 425, p. 427, p. 428, p. 428, p. 430, p. 430, p. 431, p. 432, p. 432, p. 440, p. 441, p. 455, p. 468, p. 469, p. 470, p. 503, p. 505, p. 52, p. 539, p. 540, p. 543, p. 554, p. 560, p. 584, p. 593, p. 605, p. 613, p. 649, p. 67, p. 69, p. 695, p. 711, p. 78, p. 88, p. 89, p. 94, p. 94, p. 95.
- The Ottawa naturalist. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 149, p. 149.
- The U. S. commission of fish and fisheries and its exhibit at the Louisiana purchase exposition, St. Louis, Mo., 1904. Washington, D.C., Press of Gibson Bros. url p. 47.
- The animal ecology of the Cold Spring sand spit, with remarks on the theory of adaptation, by C.B. Davenport. .. Chicago, The University of Chicago Press, 1903. url p. 7.
- The animal kingdom arranged in conformity with its organization / by the Baron Cuvier; the Crustacea, Arachnides and Insecta, by P.A. Latreille; translated from the French, with notes and additions, by H. M'Murtrie; in four volumes, with plates. New York: G. & C. & H. Carvill, 1831. url p. 46, p. 46.
- The animal kingdom, arranged according to its organization, serving as a foundation for the natural history of animals: and an introduction to comparative anatomy / Baron Cuvier. London, G. Henderson, 1834-37. url p. 183.
- The fisheries and fishery industries of the United States. Prepared through the co-operation of the commissioner of fisheries and the superintendent of the tenth census by George Brown Goode. .. and a staff of associates. .. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1884-87. url , p. 651.
- The inorganic constituents of marine invertebrates / by Frank Wigglesworth Clarke and Walter Calhoun Wheeler. Washington: U. S Gov't. Print. Off., 1922. url p. 43.
- The littoral marine fauna of Provincetown, Cape Cod, Massachusetts / by Richard Rathbun. Washington, D.C.: [s.n.], 1881. url p. 119.
- The sea-beach at ebb-tide: a guide to the study of the seaweeds and the lower animal life found between tidemarks / by Augusta Foote Arnold. New York: The Century Co., 1901. url p. 241, p. 284, p. 484.
- The sea-beach at ebb-tide; a guide to the study of the seaweeds and the lower animal life found between tidemarks. By Augusta Foote Arnold, with more than 600 illustrations. New York, The Century Co., 1901. url p. 284, p. 484.
- The stalk-eyed crustaceans of the Atlantic coast of North America north of Cape Cod. New Haven, Connecticut Academy of Arts and Sciences, 1879. url p. 124, p. 127, p. 45.
- Tissue respiration in invertebrates [by] Dorothy E. Bliss [and] Dorothy M. Skinner. New York, American Museum of Natural History, 1963. url p. 121, p. 79, p. 86.
- Transactions of the Connecticut Academy of Arts and Sciences. New Haven: Published by the Academy, 1866- url , , , , , , p. 124, p. 127, p. 396, p. 396, p. 45, p. 507, p. 512.
- [A biological survey of the waters of Woods Hole and vicinity. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1913] url p. 138, p. 141, p. 142, p. 332, p. 58, p. 59, p. 61, p. 65, p. 66, p. 67, p. 68, p. 70, p. 71, p. 72, p. 73.
- Bisby, F.A., Y.R. Roskov, M.A. Ruggiero, T.M. Orrell, L.E. Paglinawan, P.W. Brewer, N. Bailly, J. van Hertum, eds (2007). Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2007 Annual Checklist. Species 2000: Reading, U.K.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 17, 2012.
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility. Accessed February 29, 2008. http://www.gbif.org Mediated distribution data from 3 providers.
- Ruggiero M., Gordon D., Bailly N., Kirk P., Nicolson D. (2011). The Catalogue of Life Taxonomic Classification, Edition 2, Part A. In: Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2011 Annual Checklist (Bisby F.A., Roskov Y.R., Orrell T.M., Nicolson D., Paglinawan L.E., Bailly N., Kirk P.M., Bourgoin T., Baillargeon G., Ouvrard D., eds). DVD; Species 2000: Reading, UK.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal February 29, 2008:
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: A Biological Survey of the Waters of Woods Hole and Vacinity
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: Bay of Fundy Species List (OBIS Canada)
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: EPA'S EMAP Database
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: NBI
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: NOAA HML Tidal Creek Database
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: NODC WOD01 Plankton Database
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: The SERTC Invertebrate Database: Invertebrates of the southeastern United States
- Marine Science Institute, UCSB: Paleobiology Database
- National Museum of Natural History: NMNH Invertebrate Zoology Collections
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 2707511
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-98455
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 13833733
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 98455
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 523471