Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 2,500 meters (0 to 8,202 feet).
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- A.M.A. Aguinaldo et al., 1997 ex T. Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Latreille, 1829
- Snodgrass, 1938
- Heymons, 1901
- Order: Odonata () - Fabricius, 1793 - Dragonflies and Damselflies
- Superorder: Odonatoptera ()
- Infraclass: Pterygota ()
- Subclass: Dicondylia ()
- Epiclass: Hexapoda ()
- Superclass: Panhexapoda ()
- Infraphylum: Atelocerata () - Heymons, 1901
- Subphylum: Mandibulata () - Snodgrass, 1938
- Phylum: Arthropoda () - Latreille, 1829 - Arthropods
- Superphylum: Panarthropoda () - Cuvier
- Infrakingdom: Ecdysozoa () - A.M.A. Aguinaldo et al., 1997 ex T. Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Protostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Members of the genus Libellula
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 24 species and subspecies in this genus:
L. auripennis (Golden-Winged Skimmer) · L. axilena (Bar-Winged Skimmer) · L. comanche (Comanche Skimmer) · L. composita (Bleached Skimmer) · L. croceipennis (Neon Skimmer) · L. cyanea (Spangled Skimmer) · L. deplanata (Blue Corporal) · L. exusta (White Corporal) · L. flavida (Yellow-Sided Skimmer) · L. forensis (Eight-Spotted Skimmer) · L. incesta (Slaty Skimmer) · L. jesseana (Purple Skimmer) · L. julia (Chalk-Fronted Corporal) · L. luctuosa (Widow Skimmer) · L. lydia (Common Whitetail) · L. needhami (Needham's Skimmer) · L. nodisticta (Hoary Skimmer) · L. pontica (Red Chaser) · L. pulchella (Twelve-Spotted Skimmer) · L. quadrimaculata (Four-Spotted Skimmer) · L. saturata (Firecracker Skimmer) · L. semifasciata (Painted Skimmer) · L. subornata (Desert Whitetail) · L. vibrans (Great Blue Skimmer)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A guide to the natural history of the Isle of Wight: a series of contributions by specialists relating to the various branches of natural history and kindred subjects / edited by Frank Morey. Newport, Isle of Wight: The County Press, 1909. url p. 299.
- A history of British birds, indigenous and migratory: including their organization, habits, and relations; remarks on classification and nomenclature; an account of the principal organs of birds, and observations relative to practical ornithology. .. By William Macgillivray. .. London, Printed for Scott, Webster, and Geary, 1837-1852 url p. 490.
- A manual of forestry. LondonBradbury, Agnew1906-25 url p. 197.
- A manual of zoology / by M. Milne Edwards, translated from the last French edition by R. Knox, edited by C. Carter Blake. London: Renshaw, 1863. url p. 443.
- A manual of zoology. .. Edinburgh, Blackwood, 1870. url p. 334.
- A popular zoology / by J. Dorman Steele and J.W.P. Jenks. New York: A.S. Barnes & Company, c 1887. url p. 314.
- A survey and record of Woolwich and West Kent containing descriptions and records, brought up-to-date, of geology, botany, zoology, archaeology and industries of the district, with a brief photographic commentary, in commemoration of the 12th Ann General editors, C.H. Grinling, T.A. Ingram [and] B.C. Polkinghorne. Woolwich: Labour Representation Print. Co., 1909. url p. 278.
- A systematic catalogue of British insects: being an attempt to arrange all the hitherto discovered indigenous insects in accordance with their natural affinities. London: Baldwin and Cradock, 1829. url p. 416.
- A text-book of entomology including the anatomy, physiology, embryology and metamorphoses of insects. New York, Macmillan, 1909. url p. 357.
- A text-book of entomology, including the anatomy, physiology, embryology and metamorphoses of insects, for use in agricultural and technical schools and colleges as well as by the working entomologist, by Alpheus S. Packard. .. New York, The Macmillan company;1898. url p. 158.
- Acta Societatis pro Fauna et Flora Fennica. Helsinki: Societas, 1875-1980. url p. 24, p. 5.
- American insects, by Vernon L. Kellogg. .. with many original illustrations by Mary Wellman. New York, H. Holt and Company, 1908. url p. 37, p. 37.
- American insects, ill. by Mary Wellman. New York, Holt, 1914. url p. 37.
- An introduction to entomology: or Elements of the natural history of insects: with plates. By William Kirby. .. and William Spence. London, Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme, and Brown, 1828. url p. 127.
- An introduction to entomology: or, Elements of the natural history of insects / By William Kirby and William Spence. London: Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, and Green, 1828. url p. 39, p. 47.
- An introduction to geology: and its associate sciences mineralogy, fossil botany, and palaeontology / by the late G. F. Richardson... London: H. G. Bohn, 1855. url , .
- An introduction to the modern classification of insects; founded on the natural habits and corresponding organisation of the different families. By J. O. Westwood. London, Longman, Orme, Brown, Green, and Longmans, 1839-1840. url p. 35, p. 48.
- An introduction to zoology, with directions for practical work (invertebrates) London: Macmillan, 1913. url p. 304.
- Anales de la Sociedad Española de Historia Natural. Madrid: La Sociedad, url , p. 182, p. 182, p. 208, p. 317, p. 88.
- Annals of the Entomological Society of America. [College Park, Md., etc.]: Entomological Society of America. url p. 30.
- Annual record of science and industry. New York: Harper & Brothers, 1872- url .
- Annual report / Entomological Society of Ontario. Toronto, The Society. url .
- Annual report of the Board of Regents of the Smithsonian Institution. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, -1965. url p. 127, p. 127.
- British dragonflies (Odonata) 1900 London, L.U. Gill, 1900. url p. 100, list of coloured plates, page xi.
- British entomology; being illustrations and descriptions of the genera of insects found in Great Britain and Ireland: containing coloured figures from nature of the most rare and beautiful species, and in many instances By John Curtis. London, Printed for the author, 1823-40. url p. 197.
- British insects (general). Illustrated by Doris Meyer. [London]Chapman & Dodd[1922-23?] url p. 72.
- British journal of entomology and natural history. [London]: British Entomological and Natural History Society, 1988- url .
- British libellulinae, or, Dragon flies: illustrated in a series of lithograph drawings, with a brief description of the insects, times of appearance, &c. / by W.F. Evans, M.E.S. London: Printed by J.C. Bridgewater, 1845. url p. 5.
- By meadow, grove and stream: an introduction to nature study / by Henry Hilton Brown. .. London: Religious Tract Society, [1907?] url p. 120.
- Cassell's natural history. Ed. by P. Martin Duncan. .. London [etc]Cassell & Company, Limited, 1896. url p. 145.
- Catalogue of scientific papers (1800-1900) Comp. by the Royal society of London. Cambridge, C. J. Clay and sons, 1867-1902; url p. 362, p. 462.
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. Compiled by the Royal Society of London. London, C.J. Clay and Sons, 1867-1902 [etc.] Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1914-25. url p. 362, p. 462.
- College zoology. New YorkMacmillan1918 url p. 339.
- Curious facts in the history of insects; including spiders and scorpions. A complete collection of the legends, superstitions, beliefs, and ominous signs connected with insects; together with their uses in medicine, art, and as food; and a s By Frank Cowan. Philadelphia, J.B. Lippincott & Co., 1865. url p. 139, p. 139, p. 386, p. 386.
- Darwinism and the problems of life; a study of familiar animal life. London, A. Owen, 1906. url , .
- Ecological animal geography; an authorized, rewritten edition based on Tiergeographie auf ockologischer grundlage / by Richard Hesse. .. prepared by W. C. Allee. .. and Karl P. Schmidt. .. New York: J. Wiley & Sons, Inc.; 1937. url p. 354, p. 577.
- Edinburgh journal of natural history and of the physical sciences. Edinburgh [etc.]: Published for the proprietor [etc.], 1835-1840. url p. 7.
- Einleitung in die Entomologie: oder Elemente der Naturgeschichte der Insecten / Von Wilhelm Kirby und Wilhelm Spence. Stuttgart: Cottaischen Buchhandlung, 1823-1833. url p. 138, p. 40, p. 48.
- Elements of entomology: an outline of the natural history and classification of British insects. By William S. Dallas, F.L.S. London, J. van Voorst,  url p. 184, p. 199.
- Elements of natural history, adapted to the present state of the science, containing the generic characters of nearly the whole animal kingdom, and the descriptions of the principal species. By John Stark. .. Edinburgh: W. Blackwood; [etc., etc.], 1828. url p. 329.
- Entomologica Americana. [Lawrence, Kan., etc.]New York Entomological Society [etc.] url p. 31.
- Entomological news. [Philadelphia]American Entomological Society, 1925- url p. 270, p. 82.
- Everyday objects; or, Picturesque aspects of natural history. .. London, W.P. Nimmo, 1876. url p. 176, p. 185.
- Experimental morphology, London, Macmillan & co., ltd., 1897-1899. url .
- Experimental morphology, by Charles Benedict Davenport. London: The Macmillan company, 1897-99. url p. 148, p. 148.
- Experimental morphology. New York, MacMillan, 1908. url p. 148.
- Experimental morphology; by Charles Benedict Davenport. .. New York, The Macmillan Company;1908. url p. 148.
- Fourteen weeks in zoology / by J. Dorman Steele. New York: A.S. Barnes & Company, c1876. url p. 223.
- Fresh-water aquaria: their construction, arrangement, and management, with full information as to the best water-plants and live stock to be kept, how and where to obtain them, and how to keep them in health, London, L.U. Gill[pref. 1890] url , .
- General zoology, or Systematic natural history, by George Shaw. .. with plates from the first authorities and most selected specimens, engraved principally by Mr. Heath. London, Printed for G. Kearsley, 1800-1826. url p. 245, p. 245.
- Geological magazine. London [etc.]Cambridge University Press. url p. 97.
- Ground beetles (Carabidae) of Fennoscandia: a zoogeographic study / by Carl H. Lindroth; Joachim Adis, scientific editor. Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Libraries and National Science Foundation, 1989- url p. 801.
- Handbook of zoology / by J. van der Hoeven. Cambridge: University Press, 1856-1858. url p. 839.
- Handbook to the natural history of Cambridgeshire, ed. by J.E. Marr. .. and A.E. Shipley. .. Cambridge, University press, 1904. url p. 148.
- Hardwicke's science-gossip: an illustrated medium of interchange and gossip for students and lovers of nature. London: Robert Hardwicke, 1866- url , .
- Humboldt; Monatsschrift für die gesamten Naturwissenschaften. Stuttgart, F. Enke, 1882-90. url p. 240.
- Illustrated catalogue of the Museum of Comparative Zoölogy, at Harvard College / published by order of the Legislature of Massachusetts. Cambridge: Museum of Comparative Zoology, 1865-1875. url , p. 8.
- Illustrations of British entomology; or, A synopsis of indigenous insects: containing their generic and specific distinctions. By James Francis Stephens. London:Printed for the author; published by Baldwin and Cradock, 1828-1835. url p. 91.
- Illustrations of zoology. The engravings by F.W. Lowry and Thomas Landseer, from original drawings by Sowerby, Varley, Holmes, Bone, Pyne, Lowry and Charles Lanseer; with descriptive letter-press embracing a systematic view of the animal kingdom, according to Cuvier, with cha 1851 Glasgow, John Joseph Griffin and Co., ;1851. url p. 139.
- Index to the known fossil insects of the world: including myriopods and arachnids / by Samuel Hubbard Scudder. Washington, D.C.: Department of the Interior, Geological Survey: 1891. url p. 346, p. 347.
- Insect life, by C. A. Ealand, M. A., with 74 full-page illustrations, 24 being from photographs by the author and 50 in colour from nature. 1921 London, A. & C. Black, ltd., 1921. url p. 332, p. 66.
- Insect miscellanies. London: C. Knight, 1831. url p. 214.
- Insect variety: its propagation and distribution. Treating of the odours, dances, colours, and music in all grasshoppers, Cicadae, and moths; beetles, leaf-insects, bees, and butterflies; bugs, flies, and Ephemerae; By A. H. Swinton. London, Cassell, Petter, Galpin & co. url p. 296, p. 85.
- Insects at home, being a popular account of those insects which are useful or destructive and minutely describing their structure, habits, etc. New York, Alden, 1884. url , , p. 275.
- Insects at home: being a popular account of all those insects which are useful or destructive, and minutely describing their structure, habits, and transformations / by J. G. Wood, with upwards of seven hundred figures by E. A. Smith and J. B. Zwecker; engraved by G. Pearson. New York: John B. Alden, 1883. url , , p. 277.
- Insects at home; being a popular account of insects, their structure, habits and transformations, with upwards of 700 figures by E. A. Smith and J. B. Zwecker, engr. by G. Pearson. New York, Scribner, 1872. url , , p. 275, p. 277.
- International catalogue of scientific literature. LondonPublished for the International Council by the Royal Society of London1901-1920 url p. 155, p. 406.
- Jenaische Zeitschrift für Naturwissenschaft. Jena, Gustav Fischer [etc.]. url p. 546, p. 811.
- Journal of morphology. Boston: Ginn & Co., [1887-1924] url p. 319.
- Journal of the Royal Microscopical Society. Oxford [etc.]Royal Microscopical Society. url p. 133, p. 14, p. 745, p. 874.
- Les insectes, morphologie - reproduction - embryogenie, par L. Félix Henneguy. .. Leçons recueillies par A. Lécaillon & G. Poirault. .. Paris, Masson, 1904. url p. 716.
- Magazine of natural history and journal of zoology, botany, mineralogy, geology and meteorology. London: printed for Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, and Green, 1829-1837. url p. 490, p. 596.
- Microscopic objects figured and described. London, J.Van Voorst, 1870. url p. 69.
- Microscopic objects, animal, vegetable and mineral; with instructions for preparing and viewing them. London, Whittaker, 1847. url p. 6.
- Natural history of insects: comprising their architecture, transformations, senses, food, habits--collection, preservation and arrangement. Boston: Lilly, Wait, Colman, and Holden, 1833. url p. 214.
- Natural history of the animal kingdom for the use of young people: in three parts, comprising I. Mammalia: II. Birds: Part III. Reptiles, amphibia, fishes, insects, worms, molluscs, zoophytes, &c.: with 91 coloured plates, including about 850 figures, and numerous adapted from the German of Professor von Schubert by W.F. Kirby. 1889 Brighton: E. & J.B. Young and Co., 1889. url p. X.
- Natural history of the insects of China, containing upwards of two hundred and twenty figures anddescriptions, by E. Donovan. .. London: H.G. Bohn, 1842. url p. 82, p. 83.
- Natural history, by R. Lydekker, W. F. Kirby, B. B. Woodward, R. Kirpatrick, R. I. Pocock, R. Bowdler Sharpe, W. Garstang, F. A. Bather, H. M. Bernard. New York, D. Appleton and company, 1897. url p. 569.
- Nature. London, etc., Macmillan Journals Ltd., etc. url p. 67.
- Newman's entomologist. London: Simpkin, Marshall & Co., [1869-1876] url p. 279, p. 304.
- Notes on natural history: selected from the Microscopic cabinet / by Andrew Pritchard; illustrated by ten coloured engravings, from original drawings made by C. R. Goring. London: Whittaker, 1844. url p. 24, p. 29.
- Observations in natural history: with an introduction on habits of observing, as connected with the study of that science; also a calendar of periodic phenomena in natural history; with remarks on the importance of such registers / by the Rev. Leonard Jenyns. London: John van Voorst, 1846. url p. 420.
- Outlines of general zoology. New York [N.Y.]: Rudolph Garrigue, 1851. url , .
- Polskie pismo entomologiczne = Polish journal of entomology = Bulletin entomologique de Pologne Warszawa [etc.]Panstwowe Wydawn. Naukowe. url p. 130, p. 79.
- Popular British entomology: containing a familiar and technical description of the insects most common to the various localities of the British Isles / by Maria E. Catlow. London: Routledge, Wayne, & Routledge, 1860. url , p. 279.
- Popular British entomology; containing a familiar and technical description of the insects most common to the localities of the British Isles. London, Reeve and co., 1852. url , p. 279, p. 279.
- Popular natural history. By the Rev. J.G. Wood. With five hundred illustrations. Philadelphia, Porter & Coates url p. 629.
- Proceedings - Dorset Natural History and Archaeological Society. Dorchester, Eng. url .
- Proceedings and transactions of the British Entomological and Natural History Society. London, British Entomological and Natural History Society. url p. 133, p. 28, p. 35.
- Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia, Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia url p. 93, p. 93.
- Proceedings of the Geological Society of London. London: The Society, 1834-1845. url p. 169.
- Proceedings of the Linnean Society of New South Wales. Sydney, Linnean Society of New South Wales. url .
- Proceedings of the Royal Irish Academy. Dublin: Royal Irish Academy, 1841- url p. 43.
- Proceedings of the South London Entomological & Natural History Society. London [Eng]: South London Entomological and Natural history Society, [1897-1933] url p. 104, p. 122, p. 123, p. 125, p. 15, p. 17, p. 34, p. 86.
- Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London. London: Academic Press, [etc.], 1833-1965. url p. 655, p. 825.
- Proceedings. Dorchester [etc.] url , , p. 226, p. 228.
- Psyche. Cambridge, Mass.: Cambridge Entomological Club url , p. 10.
- Recent advances in microscopy; biological applications, edited by A. Piney. With 83 illustrations. Philadelphia, P. Blakiston's son & co., inc., 1931. url p. 138, p. 164.
- Schlich's Manual of forestry. London: Bradbury, Agnew & Co., 1904-1906. url p. 197.
- Science-gossip. Berlin: R. Friedländer & Sohn, -1902. url p. 73, p. 82.
- Second larval instars of Florida Anisoptera (Odonata) / by Sidney Warren Dunkle. 1980. url p. 109, p. 119.
- Smithsonian miscellaneous collections. 144 1962 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1862-1968. url p. 20.
- Sport in Norway, and where to find it. Together with a short account of the vegetable productions of the country. To which is added, a list of the Alpine flora of the Dovre fjeld and of the Norwegian ferns, &c. By M. R. Barnard. .. London: Chapman and Hall, 1864. url p. 206.
- The Annals and magazine of natural history; zoology, botany, and geology being a continuation of the Annals combined with Loudon and Charlesworth's Magazine of Natural History. London, Taylor and Francis, Ltd. url p. 220, p. 257, p. 257, p. 447, p. 447, p. 449, p. 449, p. 543, p. 543, p. 545, p. 545, p. 56, p. 56.
- The Canadian entomologist. Ottawa [etc.]Entomological Society of Canada [etc.] url p. 165.
- The Canadian naturalist and geologist. Montreal: B. Dawson, 1856-1868. url p. 144.
- The Entomological magazine. London: Frederick Westley and A.H. Davis, 1833-1838 url p. 151, p. 151.
- The Entomologist's annual. London: John Van Voorst, 1855-1874. url p. 40.
- The Entomologist's monthly magazine. Oxford [etc.]Entomologist's Monthly Magazine Ltd. [etc.] url , , , p. 140, p. 150, p. 151, p. 175, p. 199, p. 231, p. 246, p. 259, p. 34, p. 36, p. 37, p. 58, p. 67, p. 94.
- The Entomologist's record and journal of variation. s.l., s.n. url , , , , p. 129, p. 186, p. 208, p. 243, p. 246, p. 299, p. 51, p. 66, p. 70.
- The Entomologist. London: Edward Newman, 1840- url p. 152.
- The Entomologist. London: Simpkin, Marshall & Co., [1877- url , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , p. 112, p. 112, p. 115, p. 115, p. 116, p. 116, p. 118, p. 125, p. 135, p. 141, p. 142, p. 146, p. 146, p. 147, p. 147, p. 15, p. 15, p. 15, p. 15, p. 161, p. 165, p. 172, p. 174, p. 174, p. 174, p. 175, p. 175, p. 176, p. 178, p. 178, p. 18, p. 181, p. 181, p. 190, p. 201, p. 201, p. 203, p. 203, p. 205, p. 206, p. 207, p. 217, p. 217, p. 227, p. 238, p. 246, p. 247, p. 247, p. 253, p. 259, p. 267, p. 267, p. 267, p. 272, p. 273, p. 275, p. 286, p. 286, p. 289, p. 289, p. 294, p. 296, p. 296, p. 297, p. 298, p. 298, p. 310, p. 310, p. 312, p. 312, p. 314, p. 314, p. 316, p. 316, p. 33, p. 338, p. 338, p. 339, p. 4, p. 55, p. 63, p. 64, p. 64, p. 67, p. 74, p. 74, p. 74, p. 78, p. 79.
- The Field naturalist: a review of animals, plants, minerals, the structure of the earth, and appearances of the sky / edited by James Rennie. London: Orr and Smith, 1835. url p. 56.
- The Gardeners' chronicle: a weekly illustrated journal of horticulture and allied subjects. London: [Gardeners Chronicle], 1874-1955. url p. 425.
- The Journal of the Linnean Society of London. London: Academic Press [etc.], 1865-1968. url p. 132, p. 414, p. 422.
- The Magazine of natural history / conducted by Edward Charlesworth. [S.l.: s.n.], url p. 516, p. 517.
- The Naturalist. 1896 [Doncaster: Yorkshire Naturalists' Union], 1874- url p. 276, p. 377.
- The Philosophical magazine: or Annals of chemistry, mathematics, astronomy, natural history and general science. London: Richard Taylor and Co. url p. 208.
- The Quarterly journal of the Geological Society of London. London [etc.] url p. 34.
- The Victoria history of the county of Warwick. London: Published for the University of London Institute of Historical Research by Dawsons of Pall Mall, 1965- url p. 73.
- The animal kingdom arranged in conformity with its organization. London: Whittaker, 1827. url p. 94.
- The animal kingdom, arranged according to its organization, serving as a foundation for the natural history of animals: and an introduction to comparative anatomy / Baron Cuvier. London, G. Henderson, 1834-37. url .
- The animal kingdom, arranged after its organization: forming a natural history of animals, and an introduction to comparative anatomy / by the late Baron Georges Cuvier; translated and adapted to the present state of science; the Mammalia, birds, and reptiles, by Edward Blyth; the fishes and Radiata, by Robert Mudie; the molluscou London: W.S. Orr and Co., 1849. url p. 575.
- The animal kingdom: arranged after its organization, forming a natural history of animals and an introduction to comparative anatomy / London: W. S. Orr and co., 1854. url .
- The biology of dragonflies: (Odonata or Paraneuroptera) / by R.J. Tillyard. Cambridge [England]: University press, 1917. url p. 102, p. 351, p. 366, p. 383, p. 390.
- The comparative physiology of respiratory mechanisms. Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania press[1959, c1941] url p. 141.
- The descent of man, and selection in relation to sex. London, J. Murray, 1890. url p. 290.
- The descent of man: and selection in relation to sex / New York: P. F. Collier, 1902. url .
- The entomologist's useful compendium; or, An introduction to the knowledge of British insects. .. together with the genera of Linné, and the modern method of arranging the classes. .. according to the views of Dr. Leach. .. with instructions for collecting and fitting up objects for the microscope London, Printed for Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme, Brown, and Green, 1824. url p. 257.
- The geological evidences of the antiquity of man: with remarks on theories of the origin of species by variation / by Sir Charles Lyell London: J. Murray, 1863 url p. 433.
- The history of Harting, by the Rev. H.D. Gordon. With a chapter on the geology of the district, by the late Sir Roderick Impey Murchison, and some notice of its fauna and flora, by J. Weaver. London: Printed for the authors by W. Davy, 1877. url p. 359.
- The immature state of the Odonata. .. / by Louis Cabot. 8 1881 Cambridge [Mass.]: Printed for the Museum, 1872-1890. url p. 8.
- The insect world: being a popular account of the orders of insects, together with a description of the habits and economy of some of the most interesting species. LondonCassell1892 url , p. 422.
- The insect world; being a popular account of the orders of insects, together with a description of the habits and economy of some of the most interesting species. From the French of Louis Figuier...Illustrated by 564 woodcuts. By MM. E. Blanchard, Delahaye, after Reaumur. etc. New York: D. Appleton, 1868. url , p. 422, p. 516.
- The micrographic dictionary; a guide to the examination and investigation of the structure and nature of microscopic objects. London, John Van Voorst, 1856. url p. 363.
- The microscopic miscellany; being selections from the Microscopic journal, containing the most recent facts, and important discoveries in human and comparative anatomy, zoology, botany, etc. developed by British and foreign microscopical observers, ed. by Daniel Cooper. London, 1847. url p. 185.
- The natural history of animals: the animal life of the world in its various aspects and relations, London, The Gresham Publishing Company, 1903-04. url , .
- The natural history of aquatic insects / by L.C. Miall; with ilustrations by A.R. Hammond. London: Macmillaln, 1922, c1895. url .
- The natural history of some common animals / by Oswald H. Latter. Cambridge: University Press, 1904. url p. 114.
- The naturalist's library. Conducted by Sir William Jardine. Edinburgh, W. H. Lizars; [etc., etc.]1833- url p. 288, p. 288, p. 291.
- The new natural history, by Richard Lydekker. .. and R. Bowdler Sharpe, H.A. MacPherson, F.O. Pickard-Cambridge, W.R. Ogilvie Grant, C.J. Gahan, F.A. Bather, Edgar A. Smith, R.I. Pocock, M. Bernard, H. Bernard and R. Kirkpatr New York, Merrill and Baker[189-?] url p. 168.
- The new natural history. New York, Merrill, c1901. url p. 3133.
- The physiology of the Invertebrata, New York, D. Appleton and Company, 1892. url , .
- The primaeval world of Switzerland by Professor Heer; edited by James Heywood. London: Longmans, Green, 1876. url p. 24.
- The river-side naturalist; notes on the various forms of life met with either in, on, or by the water, or in its immediate vicinity. Illus. with numerous woodcuts. London, Low, Marston, Searle, & Rivington, 1890. url p. 311.
- The royal natural history / edited by Richard Lydekker; with preface by P.L. Sclater; illustrated with seventy-two coloured plates and sixteen hundred engravings by W. Kuhnert. .. [et al.]. London: F. Warne, 1893-1896. url p. 168.
- The royal natural history. With pref. by P. L. Sclater. Illustrated with 72 col. plates and 1600 engravings. London, F. Warne, 1893-96. url p. 168.
- The standard natural history. Ed. by John Sterling Kingsley. Boston, S.E. Cassino and company, 1884-85. url p. 150.
- The universe, or, The wonders of creation. The infinitely great and the infinitely little. By F. A. Pouchet. .. Portland [Me.]: H. Hallett and company, 1883. url , , p. 129, p. 129.
- Transactions of the American Entomological Society Philadelphia: The Society, 1890- url p. 184, p. 408.
- Transactions of the Edinburgh Field Naturalists' and Microscopical Society. [Edinburgh]: The Club, 1891- url p. 7, p. 8.
- Transactions of the Entomological Society of London. London, The Society. url , , p. 18.
- Transactions of the Geological Society. London: [The Society], 1811-1856. url p. 286.
- Transactions of the Linnean Society of London. London: [The Society], 1879- url .
- Transactions of the Zoological Society of London. [London]: Published for the Zoological Society of London by Academic Press url p. 284, p. 346.
- Zoologische Jahrbücher. Abteilung für Anatomie und Ontogenie der Tiere Jena [Germany]:G. Fischer, c -1993. url p. 328, p. 337, p. 338, p. 419.
- Zoologist. London.1843-1916 url p. 9083.
- Zoölogical bulletin. Boston, Ginn & Co. url p. 104, p. 105.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 10, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 24, 2007:
- UK National Biodiversity Network, Biological Records Centre - Dragonfly and Damselfly
- records for Britain to 1992, from the former Dragonfly Recording Scheme
- UK National Biodiversity Network, Wiltshire and Swindon Biological Records Centre - Odonata Records for Wiltshire 1965 - 2002
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 5433434
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: Odo-sp2-980
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 1428686
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 628187