Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Dutch:
Common Names in English:
Common Names in French:
Goéland à ailes grises
Common Names in German:
Common Names in Japanese:
Common Names in Spanish:
Gaviota Ala Glauca, Gaviota de Bering
Adult : Head : white Face : Eye Color: dark brown-black Eye Ring: dull red Bill: yellow with red spot on lower mandible Lower Mandible: yellow with red spot Neck: white Body: Mantle: pale gray Rump : white Underparts: white Legs : Foot Color: pink Leg Color: pink Tail: white Undertail Coverts: white.
alternate: Bright yellow bill with red spot at gonys ·
· Dark eyes · White head
, neck, breast and
belly · Pale
gray mantle · White tertial crescent ·
Pale gray primaries (do not contrast with back) have white tips
Adult basic: Like adult alternate but blurry brown streaking and spotting on head and nape
Juvenile/First-year: Black bill · Wholly pale brown body plumage · Pale brown primaries do not contrast with body plumage · Pale brown tail does not contrast with back · Black legs quickly become pink
Second-year: Black bill with pink base · Pale brown head, neck, upper breast, belly, primaries and tail · Pale gray back
Third-year: Like adult basic, but often lacks adult bill pattern , wing pattern, and often retains a partial tail band
About 22 to 27 inches long, with a wingspan of 54 to 58 inches. Adults weigh about 35.2 ounces .
Vegetation: freshwater marshes, coastal waters, coastal sand beaches and mudflats, coastal rocky beaches • Sensitivity to Disturbance: Medium
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 3,827 meters (0 to 12,556 feet).
This species can be found in coastal areas and over shelf waters
is comprised of fish, various marrine invertebrates
, bird eggs
and small mammals, with the exact composition varying
depending on locality
. It uses a variety of feeding methods, including
plunge-diving, diving from the surface and dropping shellfish
rocks. It arrives at breeding colonies between February and March,
and will nest
on a wide variety of substrates including rocky islands,
, inland lakes
, city parks and buildings. It is usually colonial
but can be solitary. Some birds remain on their territories over
winter, but others will migrate to the southern edges
of its range1.
List of Habitats :
- 4 Grassland
- 4.4 Grassland - Temperate
- 5 Wetlands (inland)
- 5.5 Wetlands (inland) - Permanent Freshwater Lakes (over 8ha)
- 6 Rocky areas (eg. inland cliffs, mountain peaks)
- 9 Marine Neritic
- 9.1 Marine Neritic - Pelagic
- 9.2 Marine Neritic - Subtidal Rock and Rocky Reefs
- 9.3 Marine Neritic - Subtidal Loose Rock/pebble/gravel
- 9.4 Marine Neritic - Subtidal Sandy
- 9.5 Marine Neritic - Subtidal Sandy-Mud
- 9.7 Marine Neritic - Macroalgal/Kelp
- 9.9 Marine Neritic - Seagrass (Submerged)
- 9.10 Marine Neritic - Estuaries
- 12 Marine Intertidal
- 12.1 Marine Intertidal - Rocky Shoreline
- 12.6 Marine Intertidal - Tidepools
- 13 Marine Coastal/Supratidal
- 13.1 Marine Coastal/Supratidal - Sea Cliffs and Rocky Offshore Islands
- 14 Artificial/Terrestrial
- 14.5 Artificial/Terrestrial - Urban Areas [more info]
Mostly aquatic invertebrates , carrion , and fish.
- Clutch Size: 2-3
- Length of Incubation : 27-29 days
- Days to Fledge : 35-54
- Number of Broods: 1
Most do not migrate
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Bateson, 1885
- Cuvier, 1812
- Jawed Vertebrates
- Goodrich, 1930
- Linnaeus, 1758
- Gauthier, 1986
- (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Pycraft, 1900
- Huxley, 1867
- Huxley, 1867
- Sharpe, 1891
- Sharpe, 1891
- Parvorder: Charadriida ()
- Infraorder: Larides () - Sharpe, 1891
- Suborder: Lari () - Sharpe, 1891
- Order: Charadriiformes () - Huxley, 1867
- Superorder: Charadriimorphae () - Huxley, 1867
- Cohort: Neognathae () - Pycraft, 1900
- Infraclass: Aves () - (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Subclass: Avialae () - Gauthier, 1986
- Class: Aves () - Linnaeus, 1758
- Superclass: Tetrapoda () - Goodrich, 1930
- Infraphylum: Gnathostomata () - auct. - Jawed Vertebrates
- Subphylum: Vertebrata () - Cuvier, 1812 - Vertebrates
- Phylum: Chordata () - Bateson, 1885 - Chordates
- Infrakingdom: Chordonia () - (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Deuterostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Larus glaucescens Naumann • Larus glaucescens Naumann, 1840
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 17-Oct-2001
Glaucous Gull, Western Gull
Members of the genus Larus
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 83 species and subspecies in this genus:
L. argentatus (Herring Gull) · L. argentatus argentatus (Herring Gull) · L. armenicus (Armenian Gull) · L. atlanticus (OlrogÌs Gull) · L. atricilla (Laughing Gull) · L. atricilla atricilla (Laughing Gull) · L. audouinii (AudouinÌs Gull) · L. belcheri (Band Tailed Gull) · L. belcheri belcheri (Band-Tailed Gull) · L. brachyrhynchus (Mew Gull) · L. brevirostris (Red-Legged Kittiwake) · L. brunnicephalus (Indian Black-Headed Gull) · L. bulleri (Black-Billed Gull) · L. cachinnans (Caspian Gull) · L. californicus (Californian Gull) · L. californicus albertaensis (Light-Mantled California Gull) · L. californicus californicus (Dark-Mantled California Gull) · L. canus (Common Kamchatka Gull) · (Mew Gull) · L. canus canus (Mew Gull) · L. canus heinei (Mew Gull) · (Eastern Common Gull) · L. cirrocephalus (Grey-Hooded Gull) · L. cirrocephalus cirrocephalus (Gray-Headed Gull) · L. crassirostris (Black-Tailed Gull) · L. delawarensis (Ring-Bill Gull) · L. dominicanus (Southern Black-Backed Gull) · L. dominicanus dominicanus (Southern Black-Backed Gull) · L. eburnea (Ivory Gull) · L. fuliginosus (Dusky Gull) · L. furcatus (Swallow-Tailed Gull) · L. fuscus (Lesser Black-Backed Gull) · L. fuscus fuscus (Lesser Black-Backed Gull) · L. fuscus graellsii (Lesser Black-Backed Gull) · L. genei (Slender-Billed Gull) · L. glaucescens (Glaucous-Winged Gull) · L. glaucoides (White-Winged Gull) · L. glaucoides glaucoides (Iceland Gull) · L. glaucoides kumlieni (Iceland Gull) · L. glaucoides thayeri (Iceland Gull) · L. hartlaubii (Hartlaub's Gull) · (White-Headed Gull) · L. hemprichii (Hemprich's Gull) · L. hyperboreus (White-Winged Gull) · L. hyperboreus barrovianus (Glaucous Gull) · L. hyperboreus hyperboreus (Glaucous Gull) · L. ichthyaetus (Great Black-Headed Gull) · L. kumlieni (Kumlien's Gull) · L. leucophthalmus (White-Eyed Gull) · L. livens (Yellow-Footed Gull) · L. maculipennis (Brown-Hooded Gull) · L. marinus (Greater Black-Backed Gull) · L. melanocephalus (Mediterranean Gull) · L. michahellis (Yellow-Legged Gull) · L. minutus (Little Gull) · L. modestus (Grey Gull) · L. novaehollandiae (Silver Gull) · L. novaehollandiae novaehollandiae (Silver Gull) · L. occidentalis (Wyman's Gull) · L. occidentalis livens (Western Gull) · L. occidentalis occidentalis (Western Gull) · L. occidentalis wymani (Western Gull) · L. pacificus (Large-Billed Gull) · L. pacificus pacificus (Pacific Gull) · L. philadelphia (Bonaparte's Rosy Gull) · L. pipixcan (Francolin's Rosy Gull) · L. relictus (Relict Gull) · L. ridibundus (Common Black-Headed Gull) · L. ridibundus ridibundus (Black-Headed Gull) · L. rosea (Ross' Gull) · L. sabini (Sabine's Gull) · L. sabini sabina (Sabine's Gull) · L. sabini woznesenskii (Sabine's Gull) · L. saundersi (Chinese Black-Headed Gull) · L. schistisagus (Slaty-Backed Gull) · L. scopulinus (Red-Billed Gull) · L. scoresbii (Magellan Gull) · L. serranus (Andean Gull) · L. thayeri (Iceland Gull) · L. tridactyla (Black-Legged Kittiwake) · L. tridactyla pollicaris (Black-Legged Kittiwake) · L. tridactyla tridactyla (Black-Legged Kittiwake) · L. vetula (Cape Gull)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A catalogue of Canadian birds with notes on the distribution of the species / by Montague Chamberlain. Saint John, N.B.: J. McMillan, 1887. url p. 8.
- A catalogue of Canadian birds, By Montague Chamberlain. Saint John, N.B., J. & A. McMillan, 1887. url p. 8, p. 8.
- A catalogue of Canadian birds: with notes on the distribution of the species / Saint John, N.B.: J. & A. McMillan, 1887. url .
- A check list of North American birds. Boston: Estes and Lauriat, 1882. url p. 120.
- A first book upon the birds of Oregon and Washington; a pocket guide and pupil's assistant in a study of most of the land birds and a few of the water birds of these states. By William Rogers Lord. Portland, Ore., W. R. Lord, 1913 [c1902] url p. 269.
- A geographic classification of Neotropical mammals. 36 1958 [Chicago]Chicago Natural History Museum, 1958. url p. 632.
- A history of British birds, with coloured illustrations of their eggs. By Henry Seebohm. .. London, Pub. for the author by R.H. Porter [etc.]1883-85. url p. 330.
- A history of British birds. London, J. Van Voorst, 1871-85. url p. 639, p. 639.
- A manual of North American birds. By Robert Ridgway. Illustrated by 464 outline drawings of the generic characters. Philadelphia, J. B. Lippincott company, 1896. url p. 27.
- A manual of North American birds. Philadelphia: J.B. Lippincott Co., 1900. url p. 27, p. 633.
- A manual of palæarctic birds, by H. E. Dresser. London, The author, 1902-03. url p. 838.
- A systematic list of the birds of California / by Joseph Grinnell. Hollywood: Cooper Ornithological Club, 1912. url p. 12.
- Abstract of the proceedings of the Linnaean Society of New York City, for the official year. . [New York]: The Society, [1889-1932] url p. 34.
- Annual report of the Board of Regents of the Smithsonian Institution. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, -1965. url p. 102, p. 159, p. 191, p. 453, p. 84, p. 88, p. 89, p. 90, p. 96, p. 99.
- Annual report of the Commissioner of Fisheries to the Secretary of Commerce for the fiscal year ended. .. Washington: G.P.O., 1914-1940. url p. 106.
- Annual report of the Laguna Marine Laboratory / Pomona College. Claremont, Calif.: Dept. of Biology, Pomona College, 1912- url .
- Beached marine birds and mammals of the North American West Coast: a manual for their census and identification / by David G. Ainley. .. [et al.] Pt. Reyes Bird Observatory; with drawings by Helen C. Strong; performed for National Coastal Ecosystems Team, Office of Biological Services, Fish and Wildlife Service [Washington, D.C.]: For sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. G.P.O.,  url p. 151.
- Bering's voyages: an account of the efforts of the Russians to determine the relation of Asia and America / by F. A. Golder. New York: American Geographical Society, 1922-25. url p. 278.
- Biology and conservation of the common murre in California, Oregon, Washington, and British Columbia / editors, David A. Manuwal. .. [et al.]. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Dept. of the Interior, U.S. Geological Survey, - url p. 5, p. 66.
- Biosphere Reserves, Compilation 4, October 1986: programme on man and the biosphere (MAB) IUCN Conservation Monitoring Centre url p. 457.
- Bird lore. New York City: Macmillan Co., c1899-c1940. url p. 423, p. 45.
- Bird-lore. New York, National Association of Audubon Societies. url p. 423.
- Birds / by A.H. Evans. London: Macmillan, 1899 (1909 printing). url p. 306.
- Birds / by Spencer Fullerton Baird; with the co-operation of John Cassin and George N. Lawrence. Washington, D.C., 1858. url p. 841, p. 842.
- Birds of California; an introduction to more than three hundred common birds of the state and adjacent islands, with a supplementary list of rare migrants, accidental visitants, and hypothetical subspecies, by Irene Grosvenor Wheelock. .. with ten fullpage plates and seventy-eight drawings in the text by Bruce Chicago, A.C. McClurg & Co., 1912. url p. 32.
- Birds of Massachusetts and other New England states / [Norwood, Ma.: Printed by Berwick and Smith Company], 1925-1929 url p. 69.
- Birds of Oregon, by Ira N. Gabrielson. .. and Stanley G. Jewett. .. Corvallis, Or., Pub. by Oregon State College through the O.S.C. Cooperative Association[c1940] url , p. 280.
- Birds of the Chukchi Peninsula and Wrangel Island = (Ptitsy Chukotskogo poluostrova i ostrova Vrangelya) / L.A. Portenko; translated from Russian [by P.M. Rao]. New Delhi: Published for the Smithsonian Institution and the National Science Foundation, Washington, D.C., by Amerind Pub. Co., 1981- url p. 341, p. 35, p. 36, p. 37.
- Birds of the Hawaiian Islands; being a complete list of the birds of the Hawaiian possessions, with notes on their habits, Honolulu, H. T., T. G. Thrum, [c1902] url , .
- Birds of the Northwest: a hand-book of the ornithology of the region drained by the Missouri River and its tributaries / by Elliott Coues. Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1874. url p. 622, p. 623.
- Birds the world over, as shown in habitat groups in Chicago Natural History Museum [by] Austin L. Rand, curator, Division of Birds, and Emmet R. Blake, associate curator, Division of Birds. [Chicago]1954. url p. 44.
- Birds; a miscellaneous collection of 37 pamphlets about birds. Collected and privately bound by Alvin Seale, 1914. v.p., 1910-1913 url p. 51.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url , , p. 184, p. 314, p. 326, p. 337, p. 348, p. 51, p. 56, p. 581, p. 583, p. 590, p. 594, p. 598, p. 6, p. 62, p. 63, p. 63, p. 65, p. 98.
- Bulletin / Peabody Museum of Natural History. 1972 New Haven: Peabody Museum of Natural History, url p. 138.
- Bulletin / Smithsonian Institution, Bureau of American Ethnology. Washington: G.P.O., 1901-1971. url p. 135, p. 138.
- Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History). London: The Museum, 1950-1977. url p. 242.
- Bulletin of the Bureau of Fisheries. Washington, D.C.: Govt. Print. Off., 1905-1950. url p. 122.
- Bulletin of the Museum of Comparative Zoology at Harvard College. 94 1944 Cambridge, Mass.: The Museum, 1863- url p. 116, p. 153, p. 373, p. 373, p. 444.
- Bulletin of the Nuttall Ornithological Club. Cambridge, Mass.: The Club, [1876-1883] url , p. 125, p. 186, p. 216, p. 254.
- Bulletin of the Southern California Academy of Sciences. Los Angeles, Calif.: The Academy, 1902-1971. url p. 7.
- Bulletin of the U.S. Department of Agriculture. [Washington, D.C.?]: Supt. of Docs., G.P.O., 1913-1923. url p. 27, p. 4, p. 6.
- Bulletin of the United States Geological and Geographical Survey of the Territories / Department of the Interior. Washington: Government Printing Office, 1874- url p. 1004.
- California fish and game. [San Francisco, etc.]: State of California, Resources Agency, Dept. of Fish and Game. url p. 252, p. 93.
- Catalog of California seabird colonies / by Arthur L. Sowls. .. [et al.]. Washington, D.C.: Coastal Ecosystems Project, Office of Biological Services, Fish and Wildlife Service, U.S. Dept. of the Interior: 1980. url p. 3, p. 349.
- Catalogue of birds of the Americas and the adjacent islands in Field Museum of Natural History. Charles E. Hellmayr, Boardman Conover. 13 1948 Chicago: Field Museum of Natural History, 1948. url p. 261.
- Catalogue of scientific papers (1800-1900) Comp. by the Royal society of London. Cambridge, C. J. Clay and sons, 1867-1902; url p. 774.
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. Compiled by the Royal Society of London. London, C.J. Clay and Sons, 1867-1902 [etc.] Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1914-25. url p. 774.
- Catalogue of the Birds in the British Museum. London, 1874-98. url p. 284, p. 288, p. 292, p. 293.
- Catalogue of the collection of birds' eggs in the British museum (Natural history). London: Printed by order of the Trustees, 1901-12. url p. 219.
- Check list of British Columbia birds. Victoria, B. C., R. Wolfeenden, Printer to the Queen, 1891. url .
- Check-list of North American birds / prepared by a committee of the American ornithologists' union. Lancaster, Pa.: The Union, 1931. url p. 131, p. 456.
- Check-list of North American birds, New York, American ornithologists' union, 1910. url .
- Check-list of North American birds. [Ithaca, N.Y.]1957. url p. 218.
- Check-list of North American birds: the species of birds of North America from the Arctic through Panama, including the West Indies and Hawaiian Islands / prepared by the Committee on Classification and Nomenclature of the American Orni Lawrence, Kan.: American Ornithologists' Union, 1983. url p. 221, p. 222.
- Check-list of birds of the world. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1931-1987. url p. 320.
- Checklist of British Columbia birds, by John Fannin. Victoria, B.C., Printed by R. Wolfenden url p. 4.
- Color key to North American birds, with bibliographical appendix, by Frank M. Chapman. .. with upwards of 800 drawings, by Chester A. Reed, B.S. New York, D. Appleton & Company, 1912. url p. 53, p. 53.
- Comparative physiology of temperature regulation. Editors: John P. Hannon [and] Eleanor Viereck. Fort Wainwright, Alaska, Arctic Aeromedical Laboratory, 1962. url p. 138, p. 297, p. 57.
- Condition and doings of the Boston Society of Natural History as exhibited by the annual reports. Boston url p. 21.
- Conservation of marine birds of northern North America: papers from the international symposium held at the Seattle Hyatt House, Seattle, Washington, 13-15 May 1975 / edited by James C. Bartonek and David N. Nettleship; sponsored by Natural Resources Council of America. .. [et al.]. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Dept. of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service, 1979. url p. 117, p. 12, p. 139, p. 150, p. 162, p. 163, p. 166, p. 169, p. 185, p. 204, p. 28, p. 33, p. 37, p. 49, p. 58, p. 73, p. 87, p. 91.
- Contributions to biology from the Hopkins Seaside Laboratory of the Leland Stanford Jr. University. Stanford University, Calif.: The University, 1895-1904. url p. 147, p. 161, p. 55.
- Current bibliography for aquatic sciences and fisheries. London, Taylor & Francis ltd. url p. 511.
- Ecology and conservation of the marbled murrelet / [technical editors, C. John Ralph. .. et al.]. Albany, Calif.: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Southwest Research Station,  url p. 231, p. 250, p. 256.
- Elkhorn Slough Estuarine Sanctuary: proposed estuarine sanctuary grant award for Elkhorn Slough, Monterey County, California / Washington: U.S. Govt. Print. Off., 1979? url .
- FWS/0BS. [Washington]Fish and Wildlife Service, U.S. Dept. of the Interior. url p. 179.
- Fauna of the Aleutian Islands and Alaska Peninsula, by Olaus J. Murie. Invertebrates and fishes collected in the Aleutians, 1936-38, by Victor B. Scheffer. Washington, Dept. of the Interior, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, 1959 url p. 165.
- Field book of birds of the southwestern United States, by sqther E. Wyman. .. and Elizabeth F. Burnell. .. Boston, Houghton Mifflin Company, 1925. url p. 20.
- Field ornithology comprising a manual of instruction for procuring, preparing and preserving birds and a check list of North American birds / by Elliott Coues. Boston: Estes & Lauriat, 1874. url .
- Field ornithology. Comprising a manual of instruction for procuring, preparing and preserving birds, and a check list of North American birds Salem [Mass.]Naturalists' Agency, 1874 url p. 103.
- Fishery bulletin / U.S. Dept. of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, National Marine Fisheries Service. Washington, D.C.: The Service: url p. 285.
- Fishery circular / U.S. Department of Commerce, Bureau of Fisheries. [Washington]: The Bureau, 1931-1939. url p. 24, p. 33.
- Genera insectorum / publiés par P. Wytsman. Bruxelles, L. Desmet-Verteneuil [etc.]1902-1970. url p. 15.
- Guide to taxidermy, by Chas. K. Reed and Chester A. Reed. Illustrated by drawings and photographs of mounted specimens by the authors and Mr. N. F. Stone. Worcester, Mass., C.K. Reed, 1914. url p. 236.
- Handbook of birds of the western United States: including the Great Plains, Great Basin, Pacific Slope, and lower Rio Grande Valley / by Florence Merriam Bailey. Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1915, c1902. url p. 21, p. 493.
- History of the birds of Kansas. By N. S. Goss. Illustrating 529 birds. Topeka, Kan., G. W. Crane, 1891. url p. 19, p. 19.
- Ibis. [London]Published for the British Ornithologists' Union by Academic Press. url p. 103, p. 127, p. 133, p. 136, p. 152, p. 165, p. 217, p. 23, p. 426, p. 557, p. 564, p. 577, p. 661.
- Mammals of the Soviet Union / V.G. Heptner, A.A. Nasimovich, and A.G. Bannikov; scientific editor, Robert S. Hoffmann. Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Libraries and National Science Foundation, 1988- url p. 1339.
- Memoirs of the Museum of Comparative Zoölogy, at Harvard College, Cambridge, Mass. 13 1884 Cambridge [Mass.]: The Museum, 1876-1940. url p. 209, p. 209, p. 219, p. 222, p. 223, p. 223.
- Memoirs of the San Diego Society of Natural History. 13 1984 San Diego, Calif.: The Society, 1931-1989. url p. 249, p. 90.
- Natural history. A manual of zoölogy for schools, colleges, and the general reader / By Sanborn Tenney. New York: Scribner, Armstrong & co., c1872. url .
- Nature. London, Macmillan. url p. 83.
- Nests and eggs of North American birds, Philadelphia, D. McKay[c1900] url .
- New Mallophaga, 3. Comprising: Mallophaga from birds of Panama, Baja California and Alaska. San FranciscoCalifornia Academy of Sciences1899 url p. 111, p. 117, p. 36, p. 4.
- Nomenclature of North American birds chiefly contained in the United States National Museum. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1881. url .
- North American birds eggs, New York, Doubleday, Page & company, 1904. url .
- North American birds eggs, by Chester A. Reed...illustrating the eggs of nearly every species of North American birds. New York, Doubleday, Page & company, 1904. url p. 28.
- North American birds eggs. New York: Dover Pub, . url p. 28.
- North American fauna. Washington: Fish and Wildlife Service; for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U. S. Govt. Print. Off. url , , p. 10, p. 13, p. 16, p. 16, p. 165, p. 165, p. 23, p. 34, p. 39, p. 53, p. 59, p. 6.
- Occasional papers - San Diego Society of Natural History. 1959 San Diego, The Society. url p. 17.
- Occasional papers of the California Academy of Sciences. San Francisco: California Academy of Sciences, url p. 111, p. 36, p. 4.
- Occasional papers of the Museum of Natural History, the University of Kansas. 1989 Lawrence, Kan.: The University, 1971-1994. url p. 27.
- Ornithological bibliography. [Washington: Geological Survey [etc.], 1878-1880. url p. 1014.
- Ornithological notes from Point Barrow, Alaska, by Louis B. Bishop. 29 1944 Chicago, 1944 url p. 186.
- Our birds in their haunts: a popular treatise on the birds of eastern North America / New York: Orange Judd, 1892, c1884. url .
- Our living resources: a report to the nation on the distribution, abundance, and health of U.S. plants, animals, and ecosystems / [edited by], Edward T. LaRoe. .. [et al.]. Washington, DC: U.S. Dept. of the Interior, National Biological Service, 1995. url p. 501.
- Our living world; an artistic edition of the Rev. J. G. Wood's Natural history of animate creation. New York: S. Hess,  url p. 659.
- P.D. Skaar's Montana bird distribution / revised by the Montana Bird Distribution Committee. [Helena, MT]:Montana Natural Heritage Program, 1996 url p. 52.
- Pacific coast avifauna / Cooper Ornithnological Club of California. Santa Clara, Calif.: The Club, 1900-1974. url p. 110, p. 12, p. 12, p. 12, p. 13, p. 13, p. 26, p. 41.
- Point Lobos Reseerve; State Park, California. Interpretation of a primitive landscape. Sacramento, [State Print. Off., 1954] url p. 95.
- Postilla. 1968 New Haven, Conn.: Peabody Museum of Natural History, [1950?]-c2004. url p. 18.
- Proceedings - California Academy of Sciences, 4th series. San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences. url p. 62.
- Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia, Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia url p. 11, p. 132, p. 132, p. 295, p. 295, p. 30, p. 30, p. 5.
- Proceedings of the California Academy of Sciences, 4th series. San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences. url p. 62.
- Proceedings of the Entomological Society of Washington. Washington, etc.: Entomological Society of Washington url p. 252, p. 49.
- Proceedings of the National Shellfisheries Association. Plymouth, Mass., Published for the National Shellfisheries Association by MPG Communications. url p. 134.
- Proceedings of the New England Zoo?logical Club. [Cambridge, Mass.]: The Club, 1899- url p. 10.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 1061, p. 119, p. 163, p. 168, p. 191, p. 206, p. 21, p. 221, p. 23, p. 27, p. 35, p. 44, p. 70, p. 72.
- Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London. London: Academic Press, [etc.], 1833-1965. url p. 167, p. 326.
- Report of the Secretary of the Smithsonian Institution and financial report of the Executive Committee of the Board of Regents for the year ending June 30. .. Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution, 1933-1965. url p. 102, p. 83, p. 84, p. 84, p. 87, p. 96, p. 99.
- Report of the cruise of the revenue marine steamer Corwin in the Arctic Ocean in the year 1884. Washington, Gov't print. off., 1889. url p. 127.
- Report on the birds of Pennsylvania. With special reference to the food-habits, based on over three thousand stomach examinations. By B.H. Warren, M.D., ornithologist of the State Board of Agriculture. Illustrated with fifty plates. .. Harrisburg, E.K. Meyers, State Printer, 1888. url p. 2.
- Report on the rookeries of the Commander Islands, season of 1897, Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1897. url p. 13.
- Report on the salmon and salmon rivers of Alaska, with notes on the conditions, methods, and needs of the salmon fisheries / Washington: G.P.O., 1890. url p. 35.
- Reports of explorations and surveys, to ascertain the most practicable and economical route for a railroad from the Mississippi River to the Pacific Ocean. Washington, A. O. P. Nicholson, printer [etc.]1855-60. url , , .
- Results of a biological reconnoisance of the Yukon river region. General account of the region. Annotated list of mammals. By Wilfred H. Osgood. Annotated list of birds. By Louis B. Bishop. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1900. url p. 59.
- Results of a biological reconnoissance of the Yukon River region prepared under the direction of C. Hart Merriam. Washington: G.P.O., 1900. url .
- Results of the second joint U.S.-U.S.S.R. Bering Sea Expedition Summer 1984 [Moscow?]: U.S. Dept. of the Interior, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service; 1990 url p. 197.
- Revue méthodique et critique des collections déposées dans cet établissement. Leyden, Rijksmuseum van Natuurlijke Historie. url p. 6.
- Science. New York, N.Y.: [s.n.]1880- url p. 193.
- Scientific results of the Katmai expeditions of the National Geographic Society. I-X. By Robert F. Griggs, J.W. Shipley, Jasper D. Sayre, Paul R. Hagelbarger and James S. Hine. Columbus: The Ohio State University, 1920. url , .
- Smithsonian miscellaneous collections. 66 1917 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1862-1968. url p. 13, p. 17, p. 206, p. 26, p. 61, p. 76, p. 8, p. 98.
- Social feeding behavior of birds. 36 1954 [Chicago]Chicago Natural History Museum, 1954. url p. 33.
- Special scientific report--wildlife / U.S. Department of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service. Washington, D.C.: The Service, 1949- url p. 137, p. 216, p. 299, p. 336, p. 361.
- Special scientific report. Seattle, National Marine Fisheries Service; for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off., 1949-1971. url p. 11, p. 110, p. 52.
- Spixiana. 2 1979 München: Zoologische Staatssammlung München, 1977- url p. 205.
- Studies on the avian species of the cestode family Hymenolepididae, Urbana, Ill., c1925 url p. 56.
- Syllogeus. Ottawa, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1972-1995. url p. 16.
- Synopsis of the birds of Vancouver Island by Robert Brown. S.l.: s.n., 1868? url .
- Temporal and social aspects of the foraging ecology of a piscivore, the osprey (Pandion haliaetus) / by Thomas C. Edwards, Jr. 1987. url p. 44.
- The Aleutian islands: their people and natural history (with keys for the identification of the birds and plants) City of Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1945. url p. 79.
- The American oologists' exchange price list of North American birds' eggs, 1922 / compiled by a committee of twenty-five prominent American oologists. Lacon, Ill.: R. Magoon Barnes, 1922. url p. 43.
- The Auk. Washington, D.C.: American Ornithologists' Union, etc., 1884- url p. 123, p. 125, p. 139, p. 155, p. 158, p. 176, p. 201, p. 222, p. 26, p. 300, p. 303, p. 32, p. 349, p. 35, p. 350, p. 360, p. 363, p. 397, p. 41, p. 462, p. 88.
- The Avicultural magazine. Ascot, Berkshire, etc.: Avicultural Society, etc. url p. 127.
- The Biological bulletin. Woods Hole, Mass.: Marine Biological Laboratory, url p. 119.
- The Cambridge natural history / edited by S. F. Harmer and A. E. Shipley. London: Macmillan and Co.; 1895-1909. url p. 611.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. 42 1928 Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url hantzsch , fig. 2 , preece , munro , pearse , taverner , , , , p. 104, p. 104, p. 109, p. 13, p. 132, p. 146, p. 148, p. 156, p. 165, p. 167, p. 170, p. 175, p. 176, p. 189, p. 197, p. 202, p. 202, p. 213, p. 217, p. 245, p. 261, p. 268, p. 307, p. 308, p. 311, p. 313, p. 315, p. 316, p. 320, p. 366, p. 368, p. 373, p. 41, p. 46, p. 474, p. 484, p. 545, p. 555, p. 567, p. 603, p. 604, p. 606, p. 616, p. 65, p. 688, p. 695, p. 698, p. 709, p. 715, p. 716, p. 727, p. 738, p. 74, p. 740, p. 748, p. 750, p. 77, p. 88, p. 9.
- The Canadian naturalist and geologist. Montreal: B. Dawson, 1856-1868. url p. 154.
- The Coues check list of North American birds [Elliott Coues]. Boston: Estes and Lauriat, 1882. url .
- The Journal of the Museum of Comparative Oology. Santa Barbara, Calif.: The Museum, 1919-1922 url p. 15.
- The Marine Mammal Commission compendium of selected treaties, international agreements, and other relevant documents on marine resources, wildlife, and the environment / compiled by Richard L. Wallace. Washington, D.C.: The Commission; 1994 url p. 3128.
- The Ohio journal of science. Columbus, Ohio, The Ohio State University and the Ohio Academy of Science url p. 477.
- The Oo?logist for the student of birds, their nests and eggs. Albion, N.Y.: Frank H. Lattin, 1886- url p. 104.
- The Oregon naturalist. Oregon City, Or.: Naturalist Pub. Co., url , , , p. 63.
- The Osprey. Galesburg, Ill.: The Osprey Co., 1897-1902. url p. 99.
- The Ottawa naturalist. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 143.
- The Russian fur-seal islands. By Leonhard Stejneger. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1896. url p. 144.
- The University of Kansas science bulletin. 39 1958 [Lawrence]: University of Kansas, 1902-1996. url p. 514.
- The Wilson bulletin. Columbus, Ohio: Wilson Ornithological Society, 1894- url .
- The bird book: illustrating in natural colors more than seven hundred North American birds; also several hundred photographs of their nests and eggs / by Chester A. Reed. Garden City, New York, Doubleday, Page & company, 1915. url p. 42.
- The birds of North and Middle America: a descriptive catalogue of the higher groups, genera, species, and subspecies of birds known to occur in North America, from the Arctic lands to the Isthmus of Panama, the West Indies and other island Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1901- url , , , , .
- The birds of Washington: a complete, scientific and popular account of the 372 species of birds found in the state / by William Leon Dawson, assisted by John Hooper Bowles. Illustrated by more than 300 original half-tones of birds in life, nests, eggs, and favorite haunts, from photographs by the author and others, Seattle: Occidental Pub. Co., 1909. url p. 713.
- The birds of Washington; a complete, scientific and popular account of the 372 species of birds found in the state, by William Leon Dawson, assisted by John Hooper Bowles. Illustrated by more than 300 original half-tones of birds in life, nests, eggs, and favorite haunts, from photographs by the author and others, Seattle: The Occidental Pub. Co., 1909. url p. 713.
- The birds of the Japanese Empire. London, R. H. Porter, 1890. url , p. 290.
- The code of nomenclature and check-list of North American birds adopted by the American Ornithologists' Union; being the report of the Committee of the Union on Classification and Nomenclature. New York, 1886. url p. 87, p. 87, p. 87.
- The condor. Santa Clara, Calif.: Cooper Ornithological Club, [1900- url p. 47.
- The cruise of the Marchesa to Kamschatka & New Guinea: with notices of Formosa, Liu-Kiu, and various islands of the Malay archipelago / by F. H. H. Guillemard. London: J. Murray, 1886. url p. 274.
- The fur seals and fur-seal islands of the North Pacific ocean. Washington, Govt. Print. Off.1898-99. url , , , .
- The fur seals and other life of the Pribilof Islands, Alaska, in 1914. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1915. url p. 122.
- The great North-West and the Great Lake region of North America. London: Longmans, Green, 1904. url p. 158.
- The great North-west and the great lake region of North America, by Paul Fountain... London, New York [etc.]: Longmans, Green, and co., 1904. url p. 158.
- The natural history of Washington territory, with much relating to Minnesota, Nebraska, Kansas, Oregon, and California, between the thirty-sixth and forty-ninth parallels of latitude, being those parts of the final reports on the survey of the N By J. G. Cooper, M. D., and Dr. G. Suckley. .. This edition contains a new preface, giving a sketch of the explorations, a classified table of contents, and the latest additions by the authors. With f London, Baillière brothers, 1859. url p. 290.
- The natural history review. Dublin: Hodges & Smith, 1854-1865. url p. 289.
- The oist. Albion, N.Y.: Frank H. Lattin, 1886-1941. url p. 104.
- The oologists' hand-book: 1885 catalogue of American birds' eggs, and oological supplies, with prices at which they may be obtained of / Frank H. Lattin. Rochester (N.Y.): John P. Smith, Printer, 1885. url p. 55.
- The sportsman's British bird book / by R. Lydekker. London: Rowland Ward, 1908. url p. 150.
- The standard catalogue of North American birds eggs. Albion, N.Y., F.H. Lattin, 1892. url p. 5.
- The summer birds of Yakutat Bay, Alaska / [Toronto: Royal Ontario Museum of Zoology], 1939. url p. 16.
- The water birds of North America by S.F. Baird, T. M. Brewer, and R. Ridgway. Boston: Little, Brown, 1884. url .
- The water birds of North America. By S. F. Baird, T. M. Brewer and R. Ridgway. Issued in continuation of the publications of the Geological survey of California. J. D. Whitney, state geologist. Boston, Little, Brown, and Company, 1884. url p. 209, p. 219, p. 223.
- Transactions of the Kansas Academy of Science. Topeka, Kan.: W.Y. Morgan, 1903- url p. 252.
- Transactions of the San Diego Society of Natural History. 5 1927 [San Diego]: The Society, 1905-1989. url p. 16, p. 162, p. 327, p. 4, p. 4.
- Treaties and other international agreements on fisheries, oceanographic resources, and wildlife to which the United States is party / prepared at the request of Hon. Warren G. Magnuson for the use of the Committee on Commerce, United States Senate, by the Congressional Research Service, the Library of Congress. Washington, D.C.: U.S. G.P.O., 1974. url p. 823.
- Trematodes of the Pacific Northwest, an annotated catalog [by] Ivan Pratt [and] James E. McCauley. Corvallis, Oregon State University Press url p. 36, p. 37.
- University of California publications in zoology. Berkeley: University Press, 1906- url p. 189, p. 26, p. 34, p. 363, p. 368.
- Washington State Coastal Zone Management Program amendment no. 3: approval of the Grays Harbor estuary management plan: program draft environmental impact statement. [Olympia, Wash.?]: Grays Harbor Regional Planning Commission; 1983. url p. 6.
- Zoe:a biological journal. 3 1892 San Diego, Calif. [etc.]Zoe Publishing Co. url p. 136, p. 136.
- Zoologist. London.1843-1916 url p. 228.
- [Collected reprints, 1911-1931. s.l., s.n., 19--] url , , .
- BirdLife International 2004. In IUCN 2008. 2008 IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. IUCNRedList.org. Downloaded July 18, 2008.
- BirdLife International 2004. Larus glaucescens. In: IUCN 2006. 2006 IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. www.iucnredlist.org . Downloaded on 21 October 2006.
- BirdLife International 2009. Larus glaucescens. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloadedon 01February2012.
- Bisby, F.A., Y.R. Roskov, M.A. Ruggiero, T.M. Orrell, L.E. Paglinawan, P.W. Brewer, N. Bailly, J. van Hertum, eds (2007). Species 2000 and ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2007 Annual Checklist. Species 2000: Reading, U.K.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 9, 2012.
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility. Accessed March 11, 2008. http://www.gbif.org Mediated distribution data from 13 providers.
- Hines, J. E., Gregory Gough, J. R. Sauer, et al. USGS Patuxent Wildlife Research Center
- IUCN 2012. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. . Downloaded on January 28, 2012.
- Parker III, T.A., D.F. Stotz, and J.W. Fitzpatrick, and quot;Ecological and Distributional Databases for Neotropical Birds, and quot; in Neotropical Birds: Ecology and Conservation, by D.F. Stotz, T.A. Parker III, J.W. Fitzpatrick, and D.K. Moskovits (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1996). ISBN 0-226-64676-9.
- Peterson, Alan P. Zoological Nomenclature Resource. Accessed June 19, 2009.
- Ruggiero M., Gordon D., Bailly N., Kirk P., Nicolson D. (2011). The Catalogue of Life Taxonomic Classification, Edition 2, Part A. In: Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2011 Annual Checklist (Bisby F.A., Roskov Y.R., Orrell T.M., Nicolson D., Paglinawan L.E., Bailly N., Kirk P.M., Bourgoin T., Baillargeon G., Ouvrard D., eds). DVD; Species 2000: Reading, UK.
- Sauer, J. R., J. E. Hines, and J. Fallon. 2005. The North American Breeding Bird Survey, Results and Analysis 1966 - 2004. Version 2005.2. USGS Patuxent Wildlife Research Center, Laurel, MD
- Sauer, J. R., S. Schwartz, and B. Hoover. 1996. The Christmas Bird Count Home Page. Version 95.1. USGS Patuxent Wildlife Research Center, Laurel, MD
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal March 11, 2008:
- Avian Knowledge Network: eBird
- Avian Knowledge Network: Great Backyard Bird Count
- Avian Knowledge Network: Project FeederWatch
- Bernice Pauahi Bishop Museum: Bishop Museum Natural History Specimen Data
- Bird Studies Canada: BC Coastal Waterbird Survey
- Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility: Provincial Museum of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada. Birds (Aves)
- Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility: Royal British Columbia Museum
- Canadian Museum of Nature: Canadian Museum of Nature Bird Collection
- EMAN Provider: PIROP (Shipboard Surveys)
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: North Pacific Groundfish Observer (North Pacific Research Board)
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: SEAMAP - marine mammals, birds and turtles
- Museum of Comparative Zoology, Harvard University: MCZ Ornithology Collection
- Museum of Vertebrate Zoology: Terrestrial vertebrate specimens
- Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History: Santa Barbara Musem of Natural History
- UCLA-Dickey Bird Collection (UCLA-Dickey): Bird specimens
- UNIBIO, IBUNAM: CNAV/Coleccion Nacional de Aves
- University of Michigan Museum of Zoology (UMMZ): Bird specimens
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 8329
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-176814
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 2481680
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 176814
- IUCN ID: 218208
- Natural Heritage Network Species Identifier: ABNNM03190
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 7582
- Mean = 48.280 meters (158.399 feet), Standard Deviation = 325.470 based on 4,009 observations. Altitude information for each observation from British Oceanographic Data Centre. [back]
- BirdLife International 2009. Larus glaucescens. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloaded on 01 February 2012. [back]