'The Nymphalidae are members
of the Superfamily
Papilionoidea, the true butterflies. Distributed worldwide, butterflies of this family
are especially rich in the tropics. They are highly variable, and there are more species in this family than in any other. Adults
vary in size from small to large, and their front legs
are reduced, unable to be used for walking. Wing
is also highly variable: some species have irregular margins
(anglewings and commas), and others have long taillike projections (daggerwings). Browns, oranges, yellows, and blacks are frequent colors, while iridescent
colors such as purples and blues are rare. Adults of some groups are the longest-lived butterflies, surviving 6-11 months. Adult feeding behavior depends on the species, where some groups primarily seek flower nectar while others only feed
, rotting fruit, dung, or animal carcasses. Males exhibit
behaviors when seeking mates. Egg-laying
varies widely, as some species lay eggs
in clustsers, others in columns, and others singly. Caterpillar appearance
and behavior vary widely. Brushfoots overwinter
as larvae or adults.
Monarchs and milkweed butterflies are members of Danainae, which is a subfamily of the Family Nymphalidae. The best known member of this family is the Monarch butterfly. Danaid females lay their eggs on the milkweed on which their larvae feed . The larvae and the butterflies retain the poisonous glycosides from the milkweed and are poisonous to predators .
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- A.M.A. Aguinaldo et al., 1997 ex T. Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Latreille, 1829
- Snodgrass, 1938
- Heymons, 1901
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- Butterflies and Moths
- Family: Nymphalidae () - Brushfooted Butterflies
- Infraorder: Heteroneura ()
- Order: Lepidoptera () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - Butterflies and Moths
- Superorder: Panorpida ()
- Cohort: Myoglossata ()
- Infraclass: Pterygota ()
- Subclass: Dicondylia ()
- Epiclass: Hexapoda ()
- Superclass: Panhexapoda ()
- Infraphylum: Atelocerata () - Heymons, 1901
- Subphylum: Mandibulata () - Snodgrass, 1938
- Phylum: Arthropoda () - Latreille, 1829 - Arthropods
- Superphylum: Panarthropoda () - Cuvier
- Infrakingdom: Ecdysozoa () - A.M.A. Aguinaldo et al., 1997 ex T. Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Protostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Name Status: Accepted Name .
Members of the genus Ideopsis
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 3 species and subspecies in this genus:
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A catalogue of the lepidopterous insects in the museum of the Hon. East-India company. By Thomas Horsfield. .. and Frederic Moore. .. London, W.H. Allen and Co., 1857-59. url p. 134.
- A hand-book to the order Lepidoptera. By W.F. Kirby. .. London, E. Lloyd, limited, 1896-1897. url , p. 15.
- A handbook to the order Lepidoptera. By W. F. Kirby. London, E. Lloyd, limited, 1896-1897. url , , p. 15.
- Contributions to the theory of natural selection: a series of essays. New York: Macmillan, 1871. url p. 180, p. 181, p. 378.
- Journal of the Federated Malay States museums. Kuala Lumpur: F.M.S. Museums, 1906-1929. url , p. 162.
- Mimicry in butterflies, Cambridge, University Press, 1915. url , .
- Mimicry in butterflies, by Reginald Crundall Punnett. .. Cambridge, University press, 1915. url , p. 185.
- Mimicry in butterflies. CambridgeUniversity Press1915 url , .
- Nature. London, Macmillan. url p. 307.
- Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London. London: Academic Press, [etc.], 1833-1965. url p. 221, p. 221, p. 288, p. 331, p. 337, p. 58.
- Rhopalocera Malayana: a description of the butterflies of the Malay peninsula / by W.L. Distant. London: W.L. Distant, 1882-86. url , p. 4, p. 407, p. 5, p. 8.
- Science. New York, N.Y.: [s.n.]1880- url p. 445.
- The Annals and magazine of natural history; zoology, botany, and geology being a continuation of the Annals combined with Loudon and Charlesworth's Magazine of Natural History. London, Taylor and Francis, Ltd. url p. 215, p. 46.
- The Journal of the Bombay Natural History Society. Bombay: The Society, url p. 243.
- The butterflies of India, Burmah and Ceylon. A descriptive handbook of all the known species of rhopalocerous Lepidoptera inhabiting that region, with notices of allied species occurring in the neighbouring countries along the border; with numer By Major G.F.L. Marshall. .. and Lionel de Nicéville. .. The illustrations drawn by Babu Gris Chunder Chuckerbutty and Babu Behari Lall Dass. The wood engravings by George Pearson. The autotype plates Calcutta: Central Press Co., ld., 1882-90. url , p. 30.
- The cruise of the Marchesa to Kamschatka & New Guinea: with notices of Formosa, Liu-Kiu, and various islands of the Malay archipelago / by F. H. H. Guillemard. London: J. Murray, 1886. url p. 374.
- The evolution theory, London, E. Arnold, 1904. url .
- The evolution theory. Translated with the author's co-operation by J. Arthur Thomson and Margaret R. Thomson. LondonE. Arnold1904 url p. 103.
- The process of evolution [by] Paul R. Ehrlich [and] Richard W. Holm. Illustrated by Anne H. Ehrlich. New York, McGraw-Hill url p. 271, p. 273, p. 339.
- Transactions of the Linnean Society of London. London: [The Society], 1879- url p. 536, p. 564, p. 601.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 10, 2012.
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 7650820
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: Lep-147707.0
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 1554886