Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Danish:
Common Names in English:
Common Names in French:
Common Names in Mandarin Chinese:
Species Ichthyomyzon castaneus
and Snout: Sucking disk in adults
species has a sucking disk that is larger in diameter
than the rest of the body. The circumoral teeth
are usually all or
, with 4-5 circumoral teeth on each side. There are
. Gill openings consist of seven circular holes
. Body Pattern
Solid color. Dark brown or gray on dorsal surface and flanks, grading
to light gray/brown, olive or off-white ventrally. Lateral
. No scales
: Elongated, cylindrical, and flexible
body. Typical adult size is 200-235 mm, with a maximum of 271 mm.
Fins : Rounded tail. Dorsal fin with no spines and two lobes . No anal , pectoral , pelvic , or adipose fins .
Distinguishing characteristics: Eel-like body and sucking disk identify the lamprey family . First and second dorsal fin broadly connected. Pigmented lateral pores. Adults only: maximum disk diameter greater than maximum body diameter; supraoral lamina teeth cusps are close together, inner circumoral teeth are bicuspid. Maximum length 271 mm. 51-56 trunk myomeres. Sucking disk or hood, no jaw. Flexible, snake-like body. See also similar species information.
Breeding Adults: Lampreys spend most of their lives as ammocoetes . They transform to the adult form in the fall , cease feeding, breed in the spring , and die. The adult form is the breeding form.
Juveniles: Distinguished from adults based on head and mouth characteristics. Ammocoetes are a darkish brown without eyes or a sucking disk--the mouth has a hood-like covering without a papillary fringe , and has soft sieve-like tissue in the mouth.
Inhabits lakes and streams .
Biome: Marine .
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Bateson, 1885
- Cuvier, 1812
- Girard, 1858
- Specific name:
- Girard, 1858
- Scientific name: - the United states, Canada, and Mexico Sixth Edition. Special Publication 29.
Bisby, F.A., Y.R. Roskov, M.A. Ruggiero, T.M. Orrell, L.E. Paglinawan,
P.W. Brewer, N. Bailly, J. van Hertum, eds (2007). Name
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: Data last modified by FishBase 06-Jan-1997
Fish Name 1st and 2nd Dorsal Fins Trunk Myomeres Lateral Pores Maximum Disk Diameter Relative to Maximum Body Diameter in Adults Supraoral Lamina Teeth Inner Circumoral Teeth Maximum Total Length (mm) in WI Similarity Index American Brook Lamprey Separated 64-75 Unpigmented Less Widely Separated Bicuspid 202 Moderately similar Chestnut Lamprey Connected 51-56 Pigmented Greater Close together Bicuspid 271 N/A Northern Brook Lamprey Connected 46-56 Unpigmented Less Close together Unicuspid 171 Very similar as ammocoetes, moderately similar as adults Sea Lamprey Separated 63-73 Unpigmented Greater Close together Bicuspid 760 Moderately similar Silver Lamprey Connected 46-53 Unpigmented (pigmented in large adults) Greater Close together Unicuspid (rarely 1 bicuspid) 385 Very similar Southern Brook Lamprey Connected 49-57 Pigmented Less Close together Bicuspid ~170 Very similar as ammocoetes, moderately similar as adults
Members of the genus Ichthyomyzon
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 6 species and subspecies in this genus:
I. bdellium (Ohio Lamprey) · I. castaneus (Chestnut Lamprey) · I. fossor (Northern Bronze-Gudgeon) · I. gagei (Southern Brook Lamprey) · I. greeleyi (Mountain Brook Lamprey) · I. unicuspis (Silver Lamprey)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A bibliography of fishes, New York, American Museum of Natural History, 1916-1923. url .
- A checklist of the vertebrate animals of Kansas / George D. Potts, Joseph T. Collins. [Lawrence, Kan.]: Museum of Natural History, University of Kansas, 1991. url p. 25.
- A distributional atlas of Upper Mississippi River fishes / [by] Philip W. Smith, Alvin C. Lopinot [and] William L. Pflieger. Urbana: [s. n.]; 1971. url p. 12, p. 5.
- A list of common and scientific names of fishes from the United States and Canada. Report presented at the eighty-ninth annual meeting, Clearwater, Fla., Sept. 16-18, 1959. Ann Arbor, Mich., 1960. url p. 6.
- A list of the publications of the United States National Museum (1875-1900) including the Annual reports, Proceedings, Bulletins, Special bulletins, and Circulars, with index of titles, by Randolph I. Geare. Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1902. url p. 147.
- A preliminary report of the fishes of Minnesota. .. Saint Paul, Minn., 1897. url , .
- Adult, Juvenile, and larval fish populations in the vicinity of the James H. Campbell Plant, 1981: with special reference to the effectiveness of wedge-wire intake screens in reducing entrainment and impringement of fish / Ann Arbor, Mich.: Great Lakes Research Division, University of Michigan, 1982. url p. 79.
- Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences. New York, New York Academy of Sciences. url p. 281, p. 295.
- Annual report of the Board of Regents of the Smithsonian Institution. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, -1965. url p. 167, p. 167.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url p. 127, p. 147, p. 51.
- Bulletin / Illinois Natural History Survey. Urbana, State of Illinois, Dept. of Registration and Education, Natural History Survey Division, 1918-1985. url p. 19.
- Catalogue of scientific papers (1800-1900) Comp. by the Royal society of London. Cambridge, C. J. Clay and sons, 1867-1902; url p. 59.
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. Compiled by the Royal Society of London. London, C.J. Clay and Sons, 1867-1902 [etc.] Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1914-25. url p. 59.
- Catalogue of the fishes in the. .. Museum / by A. Günther 1870. url p. 507.
- Check list of the fishes of the Dominion of Canada and Newfoundland. Ottawa, Printed by C. H. Parmelee, 1913. url , .
- Commercial fisheries review. [Washington]: National Marine Fisheries Service; [for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off.] url p. 15.
- Current bibliography for aquatic sciences and fisheries. London, Taylor & Francis ltd. url p. 370, p. 635.
- Dean bibliography of fishes. New York: American Museum of Natural History, 1971-1973. url p. 173, p. 2, p. 230, p. 232, p. 316.
- Fish and Wildlife Habitat Changes Resulting from Construction of a Nine-Foot Channel on Pools 24, 25, and 26 of the Mississippi River and the Lower Illinois River, Ft. BelvoirDefense Technical Information CenterAPR 1979. url p. 239, p. 441.
- Fishes in Kansas / Frank B. Cross, Joseph T. Collins; foreword by John E. Hayes, Jr. Lawrence, Kan.: University of Kansas Natural History Museum: c1995. url p. 15, p. 19, p. 310, p. xiii.
- Illinois River Bluffs area assessment / Illinois Department of Natural Resources, Office of Scientific Research and Analysis, [and the] State Geological Survey Division. Springfield, Ill.: Illinois Dept. of Natural Resources, 1998- url p. 114, p. 116.
- Journal of the Kentucky Academy of Science. Lexington, KY: The Academy, 1998- url p. 126, p. 126, p. 183, p. 183.
- Miscellaneous publication - University of Kansas, Museum of Natural History. 1967 Lawrence: University of Kansas, 1946-1996. url p. 3, p. 30, p. 352.
- Northern fishes: with special reference to the Upper Mississippi Valley / [by] Samuel Eddy and Thaddeus Surber. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press,  url p. 68, p. 69.
- Pamphlets on forestry. Fish and game. [1900?- url p. 11.
- Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia, Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia url p. 464, p. 464.
- Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington. Washington, Biological Society of Washington url p. 123, p. 28, p. 29, p. 90, p. 90.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url , p. 119, p. 523.
- Report of the Bureau of Fisheries / Department of Commerce and Labor. Washington: G.P.O., 1905. url p. 580, p. 580.
- Report of the Commissioner for. .. / United States Commission of Fish and Fisheries. Washington: G.P.O., 1874-1905. url p. 212, p. 212, p. 426, p. 608.
- Report of the United States Commissioner of Fisheries for the fiscal year. .. with appendixes Washington: G.P.O., 1914- url p. 9.
- Report. Springfield, 1880- url p. 7.
- Reports of explorations and surveys, to ascertain the most practicable and economical route for a railroad from the Mississippi River to the Pacific Ocean. Made under the direction of the secretary of war, in 1853-. .. Washington, A.O.P. Nicholson, Printer [etc.]1855-60. url , p. 368, p. 368, p. 381, p. 381, p. 394.
- Smithsonian miscellaneous collections. 24 1883 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1862-1968. url p. 10.
- Special scientific report. Seattle, National Marine Fisheries Service; for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off., 1949-1971. url p. 15.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url , , , p. 14, p. 167, p. 171, p. 18, p. 181, p. 2, p. 250, p. 277, p. 333, p. 334, p. 335, p. 396, p. 4, p. 405, p. 433, p. 437, p. 439, p. 440, p. 450, p. 451, p. 453, p. 455, p. 565, p. 565, p. 566, p. 568, p. 575, p. 576, p. 632, p. 642, p. 644, p. 667, p. 697, p. 728, p. 728, p. 739, p. 740, p. 743, p. 744, p. 748, p. 748, p. 749, p. 751, p. 773, p. 782, p. 95, p. 97.
- The Ottawa naturalist. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 24.
- The fishes of Illinois, by Stephen Alfred Forbes and Robert Earl Richardson, A.M. [Springfield, Ill.]: Published by authority of the state of Illinois, 1920. url .
- The natural history of Washington territory, with much relating to Minnesota, Nebraska, Kansas, Oregon, and California, between the thirty-sixth and forty-ninth parallels of latitude, being those parts of the final reports on the survey of the N By J. G. Cooper, M. D., and Dr. G. Suckley. .. This edition contains a new preface, giving a sketch of the explorations, a classified table of contents, and the latest additions by the authors. With f London, Baillière brothers, 1859. url p. 368, p. 394.
- Transactions of the Kentucky Academy of Science. [Lexington, Ky.]Kentucky Academy of Science, 1923-1997. url p. 135, p. 155, p. 166, p. 59, p. 81, p. 82, p. 94.
- University of Kansas publications, Museum of Natural History. 17 1966 Lawrence, University of Kansas. url p. 165, p. 311, maps 5-6, page 465, p. 59, p. 644, p. 78, p. 91.
- [Forestry reports] Washington, 1893-1910 url , .
- American Fisheries Society. Common and Scientific Names of Fishes from the United states, Canada, and Mexico Sixth Edition. Special Publication 29.
- Bisby, F.A., Y.R. Roskov, M.A. Ruggiero, T.M. Orrell, L.E. Paglinawan, P.W. Brewer, N. Bailly, J. van Hertum, eds (2007). Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2007 Annual Checklist. Species 2000: Reading, U.K.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 10, 2012.
- Dyer, Brian S. (from FishBase).
- FishBase 2006.
- FishBase. Release date: January 5, 2010
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility. Accessed March 04, 2008. http://www.gbif.org Mediated distribution data from 6 providers.
- Lyons, John. WiscFish.org University of Wisconsin, Center for Limnology, Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources, University of Wisconsin Sea Grant. Provided photos, physical description, and table comparing similar species.
- NatureServe. 2003. Downloadable animal data sets. NatureServe Central Databases. Accessed February 6, 2005.
- Ruggiero M., Gordon D., Bailly N., Kirk P., Nicolson D. (2011). The Catalogue of Life Taxonomic Classification, Edition 2, Part A. In: Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2011 Annual Checklist (Bisby F.A., Roskov Y.R., Orrell T.M., Nicolson D., Paglinawan L.E., Bailly N., Kirk P.M., Bourgoin T., Baillargeon G., Ouvrard D., eds). DVD; Species 2000: Reading, UK.
- Species At Risk Act Public Registry, Government of Canada
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal March 04, 2008:
- Canadian Museum of Nature: Canadian Museum of Nature Fish Collection
- FishBase: FishBase DiGIR Provider - Philippine Server
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: Canadian Museum of Nature - Fish Collection (OBIS Canada)
- Royal Ontario Museum: Fish specimens
- University of Kansas Biodiversity Research Center: Fish Collection
- University of Minnesota Bell Museum of Natural History: Fish specimens
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 129616
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: Fis-30141
- Fishbase Species ID: 2515
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 159725
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 15635
- Scott, W.B. and E.J. Crossman (1973). Freshwater fishes of Canada. Bull. Fish. Res. Board Can. 184:1-966. [back]
- Specific name: castaneus - Girard, 1858
- Genus: Ichthyomyzon () - Girard, 1858
- Subfamily: Petromyzontinae ()
- Family: Petromyzontidae ()
- Order: Petromyzontiformes () -
- Subclass: Petromyzontida ()
- Class: Agnatha ()
- Subphylum: Vertebrata () - Cuvier, 1812 - Vertebrates
- Phylum: Chordata () - Bateson, 1885 - Chordates
- Infrakingdom: Chordonia () - (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Deuterostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals