Common Names in English:
Blue Moon Butterfly, Common Eggfly, Great Eggfly Butterfly
'The Nymphalidae are members
of the Superfamily
Papilionoidea, the true butterflies. Distributed worldwide, butterflies of this family
are especially rich in the tropics. They are highly variable, and there are more species in this family than in any other. Adults
vary in size from small to large, and their front legs
are reduced, unable to be used for walking. Wing
is also highly variable: some species have irregular margins
(anglewings and commas), and others have long taillike projections (daggerwings). Browns, oranges, yellows, and blacks are frequent colors, while iridescent
colors such as purples and blues are rare. Adults of some groups are the longest-lived butterflies, surviving 6-11 months. Adult feeding behavior depends on the species, where some groups primarily seek flower nectar while others only feed
, rotting fruit, dung, or animal carcasses. Males exhibit
behaviors when seeking mates. Egg-laying
varies widely, as some species lay eggs
in clustsers, others in columns, and others singly. Caterpillar appearance
and behavior vary widely. Brushfoots overwinter
as larvae or adults.
Brushfoots are the most prevalent members of the Family Nymphalinae. Distributed worldwide, this is a diverse group that contains several tribes , each with somewhat different structural and biological features. Adults of North American species are predominantly orange, brown, and black. Wing shape and mating systems are variable. Most checkerspots and crescentspots patrol for mates, while the remainder of groups exhibit either perching or perching and patrolling . Migration varies widely; some strong migrants are found in the lady butterflies, tortoiseshells, and anglewings, while other species are local in occurrence. Most species limit their host plants to a few species, but the Painted Lady has one of the widest host palettes of all butterflies. Eggs are laid singly or clustered in groups, and caterpillars be found feeding alone or communally. Brushfoots overwinter as young caterpillars or hibernating adults.
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 610 meters (0 to 2,001 feet).
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- A.M.A. Aguinaldo et al., 1997 ex T. Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Latreille, 1829
- Snodgrass, 1938
- Heymons, 1901
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- Order: Lepidoptera () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - Butterflies and Moths
- Superorder: Panorpida ()
- Cohort: Myoglossata ()
- Infraclass: Pterygota ()
- Subclass: Dicondylia ()
- Class: Insecta () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - Insects
- Epiclass: Hexapoda ()
- Superclass: Panhexapoda ()
- Infraphylum: Atelocerata () - Heymons, 1901
- Subphylum: Mandibulata () - Snodgrass, 1938
- Phylum: Arthropoda () - Latreille, 1829 - Arthropods
- Superphylum: Panarthropoda () - Cuvier
- Infrakingdom: Ecdysozoa () - A.M.A. Aguinaldo et al., 1997 ex T. Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Protostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Name Status: Accepted Name .
Members of the genus Hypolimnas
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 4 species and subspecies in this genus:
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A handbook to the order Lepidoptera. By W. F. Kirby. London, E. Lloyd, limited, 1896-1897. url p. 125.
- Abstract of proceedings of the South London Entomological & Natural History Society. London [Eng.]: South London Entomological and Natural History Society, [1885-1896] url p. 134.
- Annual report / Albany: University of the State of New York, 1902-1918. url p. 68.
- As nature shows them: moths and butterflies of the United States, east of the Rocky Mountains: with over 400 photographic illustrations in the text and many transfers of species from life / by Sherman F. Denton. Boston: J.B. Millet, c1900. url p. 251.
- Australian insects. By Walter W. Froggatt. Sydney, W. Brooks url p. 436.
- Bees and the fertilization of coffee, Madras, Printed by the Superintendent, Govt. Press, 1915. url .
- Bibliography (Lepidoptera: Rhopalocera) / Charles A. Bridges. Urbana, Ill.: C.A. Bridges, c1993. url p. 335, p. 74, p. 78.
- Bulletin of the Hill Museum: a magazine of lepidopterology; Edited by J. J. Joicey. Issued at the Hill Museum, Wormley, Witley. London: John Bale, sons & Danielsson, 1921- url p. 643.
- Butterflies. Vol. I-II. / Calcutta and Simla, Taylor and Francis;1905-1907. url p. 386, p. 387.
- Coral and atolls: a history and description of the Keeling-Cocos Islands, with an account of their fauna and flora, and a discussion of the method of development and transformation of coral structures By F. Wood-Jones... London, Lovell Reeve & Co., Ltd., 1912. url p. 349.
- Essays on evolution 1889-1907, Oxford, Clarendon press, 1908. url , , , .
- Essays on evolution 1889-1907, by Edward Bagnall Poulton. Oxford, Claredon Press, 1908. url p. 386.
- Essays on evolution 1889-1907. OxfordClarendon Press1908 url p. 245, p. 372, p. 385, p. 386.
- International catalogue of scientific literature. LondonPublished for the International Council by the Royal Society of London1901-1920 url p. 304.
- Journal and proceedings of the Asiatic Society of Bengal. 15 1919 Calcutta, Asiatic Society of Bengal. url p. 102.
- Lepidoptera of the British ornithologists' union and Wollaston expeditions in the Snow Mountains, southern Dutch New Guinea. London: Printed by Hazell, Watson & Viney, 1915. url p. 171, p. 22.
- Life stories of Australian insects / by Mabel N. Brewster, Agnes A. Brewster and Naomi Crouch; Introduction by W.B. Gurney; illustrations by A.A. & M.N. Brewster. Sydney: Dymock's Book Arcade, 1920. url p. 283.
- Madagascar: an environmental profile IUCN Conservation Monitoring Centre url p. 198.
- Memoirs: Australian Museum. Sydney: The Museum, 1851- url p. 98.
- Mimicry in butterflies, by Reginald Crundall Punnett. .. Cambridge, University press, 1915. url , p. 185.
- Mimicry in butterflies. CambridgeUniversity Press1915 url , p. 117, p. 25.
- Museum bulletin / New York State Museum. Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1908-1916. url p. 68.
- Nature. London, Macmillan. url p. 202, p. 305, p. 411, p. 429, p. 557, p. 84.
- Observations on the gestation of some sharks and rays / Calcutta: Asiatic Society, 1891. url p. 324.
- Proceedings and transactions of the British Entomological and Natural History Society. London, British Entomological and Natural History Society. url p. 56, p. 89, p. 92.
- Proceedings of the Asiatic Society of Bengal. Calcutta: [The Society]1865-1905. url p. 116.
- Proceedings of the Entomological Society of Washington. Washington, etc.: Entomological Society of Washington url p. 141, p. 213.
- Proceedings of the Hawaiian Entomological Society. Honolulu: Hawaiian Entomological Society url , p. 603, p. 603.
- Proceedings of the Linnean Society of New South Wales. Sydney, Linnean Society of New South Wales. url .
- Proceedings of the Royal Zoological Society of New South Wales. Mosman, New South Wales [etc.]The Society. url p. 47.
- Proceedings of the South London Entomological & Natural History Society. London [Eng]: South London Entomological and Natural history Society, [1897-1933] url p. 50, p. 81, p. 81.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 169.
- Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London. London: Academic Press, [etc.], 1833-1965. url p. 129, p. 425, p. 425, p. 505, p. 505, p. 543, p. 604, p. 702, p. 725, p. 738.
- Recent advances in entomology, by A. D. Imms. Philadelphia, P. Blakiston's son & co., inc., 1937. url p. 195.
- Records of the Australian Museum. Sydney: Printed by order of the Trustees, 1890- url p. 70.
- Records of the Indian Museum. Calcutta: Pub. by order of the trustees of the Indian Museum, . 1907-1962. url , p. 349, p. 354, p. 362, p. 44, p. 62.
- Report of the Agricultural Research Institute and College, Pusa. Calcutta: Supt. Govt. Print., India, 1909-1916. url p. 65.
- Report of the proceedings of the. .. Entomological Meeting. Calcutta: Superintendent government printing, India, 1917-23. url p. 1118.
- Rhopalocera Malayana: a description of the butterflies of the Malay peninsula / by W.L. Distant. London: W.L. Distant, 1882-86. url , p. 165.
- Sexual dimorphism in the animal kingdom, a theory of the evolution of secondary sexual characters. London, Black, 1900. url p. 232, p. 314.
- Spolia zeylanica. S.l.: s.n. url , p. 29.
- The Annals and magazine of natural history; zoology, botany, and geology being a continuation of the Annals combined with Loudon and Charlesworth's Magazine of Natural History. London, Taylor and Francis, Ltd. url p. 142, p. 156, p. 173, p. 224.
- The Australian zoologist. Sydney, Royal Zoological Society of New South Wales url p. 18.
- The Entomologist's monthly magazine. Oxford [etc.]Entomologist's Monthly Magazine Ltd. [etc.] url , , , , p. 142, p. 177, p. 296, p. 42, p. 50.
- The Entomologist's record and journal of variation. s.l., s.n. url p. 106, p. 144, p. 231, p. 3.
- The Entomologist. London: Simpkin, Marshall & Co., [1877- url , , p. 132, p. 189, p. 224, p. 28, p. 46.
- The Fruhstorfer collection of butterfiles: catalogue of types with general account and list of the more interesting forms. [S.l.: s.n., 1922]. url p. 124.
- The Hope reports. Oxford: Printed for private circulation, 1897-1958. url p. 243, p. 453, p. 71.
- The Journal of the Bombay Natural History Society. Bombay: The Society, url , , p. 138, p. 172, p. 196, p. 21, p. 281, p. 284, p. 287, p. 32, p. 372, p. 383, p. 39, p. 412, p. 418, p. 423, p. 438, p. 46, p. 485, p. 63, p. 655, p. 689, p. 764, p. 850, p. 873, p. 892.
- The Lepidopterist. Salem, Mass.: Boston Entomological Club, 1916-. url p. 64.
- The Review of applied entomology. Farnham Royal, Eng., etc.: Commonwealth Agricultural Bureaux, etc. url p. 226.
- The butterflies of India, Burmah and Ceylon. A descriptive handbook of all the known species of rhopalocerous Lepidoptera inhabiting that region, with notices of allied species occurring in the neighbouring countries along the border; with numer By Major G.F.L. Marshall. .. and Lionel de Nicéville. .. The illustrations drawn by Babu Gris Chunder Chuckerbutty and Babu Behari Lall Dass. The wood engravings by George Pearson. The autotype plates Calcutta: Central Press Co., ld., 1882-90. url p. 123, p. 125.
- The gazetteer of Sikhim. With an introduction by H.H. Risley. Ed. in the Bengal government secretariat. Calcutta: Printed at the Bengal secretariat press, 1894. url p. 139.
- The variation of animals in nature, by G.C. Robson. .. and O.W. Richards. .. with 2 coloured plates and 30 illustrations in the text. London, Longmans, Green and co. url p. 395.
- Three voyages of a naturalist, being an account of many little-known islands in three oceans visited by the "Valhalla, " R. Y. S.; London, Witherby & co., 1908. url p. 241.
- Three voyages of a naturalist: being an account of many little-known islands in three oceans visited by the "Valhalla" R.Y.S. / by M. J. Nicoll; with an introduction by the Earl of Crawford. London: Witherby & Co., 1908. url p. 241.
- Transactions of the Entomological Society of London. London, The Society. url , , , , , , , , , , , , , p. 117, p. 125, p. 149, p. 2, p. 281, p. 348, p. 67, p. 70, p. 70, p. 71, p. 76, p. 79, p. 82, p. 83, p. 84.
- Transactions of the Linnean Society of London. London: [The Society], 1879- url p. 290, p. 323, p. 456, p. 543, p. 600.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 31, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal February 26, 2008:
- Australian National Insect Collection, CSIRO Entomology: Australian National Insect Collection
- National Institute of Genetics, ROIS: Entomological Specimens of Museum of Nature and Human Activities, Hyogo Pref., Japan
- OZCAM (Online Zoological Collections of Australian Museums) Provider: Online Zoological Collections of Australian Museums
- University of Helsinki, Department of Applied Biology: Lepidoptera collection of Hannu Saarenmaa
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 2960465
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: Lep-158241.0
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 2481042
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 828884
- http://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/taxonomy?f=18&sci=Nymphalidae&com=Brush-footed Butterflies [back]
- http://bugguide.net/index.php?q=search&keys=Editha&search=Search [back]
- Mean = 137.040 meters (449.606 feet), Standard Deviation = 157.640 based on 54 observations. Altitude information for each observation from British Oceanographic Data Centre. [back]