Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Albanian:
Burdullak I Zi
Common Names in Arabic:
Common Names in Catalan:
Gobi D´alga, Gobi D'alga
Common Names in Croatian:
Common Names in Danish:
Sm, Sort Kutling, Sortkutling
Common Names in Dutch:
Common Names in English:
Common Names in Estonian:
Common Names in Finnish:
Common Names in French:
Gobie Nageuse, Gobie Noir, Gobie Noire
Common Names in German:
Schwartzk, Schwarzgrundel, Schwarzk
Common Names in Greek:
Mavrogovios, Γωβιός, Κωβιός, Μαυρογωβιός, Πετρογωβιός, Πετροκωβιός
Common Names in Italian:
Baette, Buatta, Conca De Moru, Cuggione Varvarule, Cugione, Ghiggion, Ghiggiun Da Fundu, Ghiozzo, Ghiozzo Comune, Ghiozzo Nero, Goata, Goato, Goatto, Grattasassi, Guato, Guatto, Guatto Di Maggio, Maccarone, Maccione Concaniedda, Maccione De Fango, Mazzone, Mazzone 'e Fango, Mazzone 'e Razza, Mazzuneddu, Mazzuneddu Maccarunaru, Mazzuni, Menuagia Bianca, Menuagia Mora, Mozzone, Mugno, Murscione, Paganello, Paganelo De Mar, Paganelo Negro, Saracinu I Fangu, Saracinu Lisciu, Uggiuni ´i Fangu, Uggiuni 'i Fangu
Common Names in Latvian:
Common Names in Lithuanian:
Common Names in Maltese:
Mazzun, Mazzun Iswed, Mazzun Tal-Hagra, Mazzun Tar-Ramel
Common Names in Mandarin Chinese:
Common Names in Norwegian:
Kutling, Sm, Svartkutling
Common Names in Polish:
Common Names in Portuguese:
Common Names in Rumanian:
Common Names in Russian:
Chernyi Bychok, бычок черный
Common Names in Spanish:
Common Names in Swedish:
Found in estuaries, lagoons and inshore waters over sand or mud , in seagrass or on algae.
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 921 meters (0 to 3,022 feet).
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Bateson, 1885
- Cuvier, 1812
- Jawed Vertebrates
- Huxley, 1880
- Class: Osteichthyes () - Huxley, 1880
- Superclass: Osteichthyes () - Huxley, 1880
- Infraphylum: Gnathostomata () - auct. - Jawed Vertebrates
- Subphylum: Vertebrata () - Cuvier, 1812 - Vertebrates
- Phylum: Chordata () - Bateson, 1885 - Chordates
- Infrakingdom: Chordonia () - (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Deuterostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Gobius brittanicus Thompson • Gobius iozo Linnaeus • Gobius jozo Linnaeus • Gobius jozo pontica Kessler • Gobius longiradiatus Risso • Gobius niger hispanicus de Buen • Gobius niger jozo Linnaeus • Gobius niger nigerrimus de Buen • Gobius punctulatus Cocco
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: Data last modified by FishBase 29-Apr-1996
Members of the genus Gobius
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 155 species and subspecies in this genus. Here are just 100 of them:
G. acutipennis (Pointed Fin Goby) · Oligolepis keiensis (Agulhas Goby) · G. albomaculatus (Poso Bungu) · G. anguillaris (Anguilla Eelgoby) · G. anjerensis (Anjer Eye-Bar Goby) · G. arabicus (Arabian Goby) · G. ater (Bellotti´s Goby) · G. auratus (Golden Goby) · G. barbarus (Atlantic Mudskipper) · G. bato (Gobi) · G. batrachocephalus (Knout Goby) · G. bayamonensis (Beaufort's Goby) · G. bicirrhosus (Bearded Goby) · G. bifrenatus (Bridled Goby) · G. biocellatus (Two Spot Goby) · G. boddaerti (Boddart's Goggle-Eyed Goby) · G. boleosoma (Darter Goby) · G. bonelli (Common Goby) · G. bontii (Occasional-Shrimp Goby) · G. bosc (Naked Goby) · G. brunneus (Naked-Breasted Goby) · G. bucchichi (Bucchich's Goby) · G. caeruleopunctatus (Harlequin Prawn-Goby) · G. caffer (Banded Goby) · Economidichthys pygmaeus (Canestrini's Goby) · G. caninoides (Robust Goby) · G. caspius (Hyrcanian Goby) · G. castaneus (Chestnut Goby) · G. cauerensis (Bandfin Mullet Goby) · Glossogobius giuris (Celebes Goby) · G. cephalarges (Ginger Goby) · G. chiquita (Sonora Goby) · G. chuno (Glass Goby) · G. circumspectus (Circumspect Goby) · G. citrinus (Lemon Coral Goby) · G. cobitis (Giant Goby) · G. cocosensis (Cocos Frill Goby) · G. concavifrons (Concave Goby) · G. cotticeps (Cheekscaled Frill-Goby) · G. couchi (Couch's Goby) · G. criniger (Yellowfin Toxic Goby) · G. cruentatus (Red-Mouthed Goby) · G. cryptocentrus (Ninebar Prawn-Goby) · G. cyclopterus (Cyclops Frill-Goby) · G. cyprinoides (Crested Goby) · G. dalli (Bluebanded Goby) · G. decussatus (Orange-Striped Goby) · G. dewaali (Checked Goby) · G. doriae (Durban Goby) · G. echinocephalus (Redhead Coral Goby) · G. elapoides (Serpentine Goby) · G. emblematicus (Emblem Goby) · G. ephippiatus (Leopard-Spotted Goby) · G. eurycephalus (Mushroom Goby) · G. eurystomus (Caspian Syrman Goby) · G. fallax (Sarato's Goby) · Redigobius bikolanus (Two-Spotted Goby) · G. flavimanus (Japanese River Goby) · G. flavus (Caspian Sand Goby) · G. fluviatilis pallasi (Caspian Sand Goby) · G. fontanesii (Giant Shrimp-Goby) · G. frenatus (Half-Bridled Goby) · G. friesii (Fries's Goby) · G. fuliginosus (One-Thread Goby) · G. gasteveni (Steven's Goby) · G. geniporus (Slender Goby) · G. genivittatus (Chinstripe Goby) · G. gilberti (Galapagos Blue-Banded Goby) · G. giurinus (Caspian Ratan Goby) · G. goldmanni (Goldmann's Sandy Goby) · G. griseus (Grey Goby) · G. gronovii (Portuguese Man-O'-War) · G. guamensis (Pacific River Goby) · G. gulosus (Clown Goby) · G. gymnocephalus (Nakedhead Shrimpgoby) · G. gymnotrachelus (Racer Goby) · G. hasseltii (Hasselt's Flap-Headed Goby) · G. hinsbyi (Tasmanian Orange-Spotted Sand-Goby) · G. hipoliti (Rusty Goby) · G. histrio (Blue-Spotted Coral Goby) · G. inhaca (Rusty Goby) · G. isognathus (Pupilspot Goby) · G. javanicus (Spotfin Snouted Goby) · G. jeffreysii (Jeffrey's Goby) · G. jozo (Kei Goby) · G. kessleri (Kessler's Goby) · G. lagocephalus (Rabbithead Cling-Goby) · G. lateralis (Longfinned Goby) · G. lepidus (Finescale Goby) · G. leucostictus (White-Spotted Shrimp-Goby) · G. lidwilli (Liechtenstein's Goby) · G. linearis (Crystal Goby) · G. lineatus (Southern Frillfin) · G. lota (Lucretia's Goby) · G. lyricus (Lyre Goby) · G. manglicola (Mangrove Goby) · G. melanostomus (Black Spotted Goby) · G. microdon (Palmtail Goby) · G. microlepis (Finescale Arrowfin Goby) · G. microps (Common Goby)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- ... The genera of fishes. .. A contribution to the stability of scientific nomenclature. By David Starr Jordan. Stanford University, Calif., The University, 1917-1920. url p. 43.
- A bibliography of fishes, New York, American Museum of Natural History, 1916-1923. url , .
- A bibliography of fishes, by Bashford Dean. .. New York: American Museum of Natural History, 1916-1923. url p. 339, p. 458, p. 458, p. 571, p. 571, p. 640, p. 640.
- A guide to Belfast and the counties of Down & Antrim / prepared for the meeting of the British Association by the Belfast Naturalists' Field Club. Belfast: M'Caw, Stevenson & Orr, ltd., 1902. url p. 174.
- A guide to the natural history of the Isle of Wight: a series of contributions by specialists relating to the various branches of natural history and kindred subjects / edited by Frank Morey. Newport, Isle of Wight: The County Press, 1909. url p. 480.
- A handbook of the vertebrate fauna of Yorkshire: being a catalogue of British mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians, and fishes / by Wm. Eagle Clarke, and Wm. Denison Roebuck. London: Reeve, 1881. url p. 111, p. 111.
- A handbook to the vertebrate fauna of north Wales. London, Witherby & Co., 1919. url p. 84.
- A history of British animals: exhibiting the descriptive characters and systematical arrangement of the genera and species of quadrupeds, birds, reptiles, fishes, mollusca, and radiata of the United Kingdom; including the indigeno by John Fleming. Edinburgh: Printed for Bell & Bradfute; 1828. url p. 206.
- A history of British fishes / London: W. Allen, [1876?] url p. 271.
- A history of British fishes / by William Yarrell. .. Illustrated by nearly 400 woodcuts. London: J. Van Voorst, 1836. url p. 255.
- A history of British fishes. By William Yarrell. .. London, J. Van Voorst, 1841. url p. 281, p. 284, p. 285.
- A history of Scandinavian fishes / by B. Fries, C. U. Ekström and C. Sundevall; with coloured plates by W. von Wright and text illustrations. Stockholm: P.A. Norstedt & söner, 1892-1895. url p. 244, p. 245.
- A history of fishes; illus. by W. P. C. Tenison. New York, A. A. Wyn, 1949. url , p. 319, p. 82.
- A history of the fishes of the British Islands / by Jonathan Couch. London: G. Bell, 1877-1878. url p. 153.
- A manual of British vertebrate animals: or Descriptions of all the animals belonging to the classes, Mammalia, Aves, Reptilia, Amphibia, and Pisces, which have been hitherto observed in the British Islands: including the domesticated, natur By the Rev. Leonard Jenyns. Cambridge, Printed by J. Smith, sold by J. & J.J. Deighton; [etc., etc.]1835. url p. 385, p. 386.
- A manual of marine zoology for the British Isles / by Philip Henry Gosse London: J. Van Voorst, 1855-1856 url p. 183.
- A monograph on the structure and development of the shoulder-girdle and sternum on the Vertebrata. By W. Kitchen Parker... London: R. Hardwicke, 1868. url p. 44, p. 48.
- A tour in Sutherlandshire, with extracts from the fieldbooks of a sportsman and naturalist. By Charles St. John... With woodcuts. London: J. Murray, 1849. url p. 366.
- A tour in Sutherlandshire: with extracts from the field-books of a sportsman and naturalist / with an Appendix on the fauna of Sutherland by J.A. Harvie-Brown and T.E. Buckley. Edinburgh, Douglas, 1884. url p. 366.
- A treatise on zoology London, A. and C. Black, 1900-1909 url p. 266.
- A treatise on zoology. London, Adam and Charles Black, 1900-1909 url p. 266.
- A vertebrate fauna of the Orkney Islands / by Thomas E. Buckley and J.A. Harvie-Brown. Edinburgh: D. Douglas, 1891. url p. 275.
- A voyage to China and the East Indies, by Peter Osbeck. Together with A Voyage to Suratte, by Olof Toreen and an account of the Chinese husbandry, by Captain Charles Gustavus Eckeberg. Tr. from the German, by John Reinhold Forster, F. A. S London, B. White, 1771. url .
- Acta Societatis pro Fauna et Flora Fennica. Helsinki: Societas, 1875-1980. url p. 22, p. 51, p. 55, p. 64, p. 69.
- An account of the fishes found in the river Ganges and its branches / by Francis Hamilton, (formerly Buchanan, ). ..; With a volume of plates in royal quarto. Edinburgh: Printed for A. Constable and company; [etc., etc.]1822. url p. 49.
- An introduction to the natural history of fishes: being the article "Ichthyology, " from. .. the Encyclopædia Britannica / by James Wilson. 1838 Edinburgh, etc.: Adam and Charles Black, [et al.]1838. url p. 193, list of british fishes, page 7.
- An introduction to the study of fishes, Edinburgh, A. and C. Black, 1880. url .
- Anatomischer Anzeiger. Jena: G. Fischer, 1886- url p. 205.
- Annals of natural history. London, R. and J.E. Taylor, url p. 26, p. 26, p. 26, p. 414, p. 414, p. 416, p. 416.
- Annals of the Carnegie Museum. [Pittsburgh]: Published by authority of the Board of Trustees of the Carnegie Institute, 1901- url p. 466.
- Archiv for mathematik og naturvidenskab. Oslo [etc.]O. Norlis [etc.] url p. 231.
- Aristotle's History of animals. In ten books. London, Bell, 1887. url p. 325.
- British fresh-water fishes / by the Right Hon. Sir Herbert Maxwell; with twelve coloured plates including twenty-two figures from photographs. London: Hutchinson, 1904. url p. 43.
- British fresh-water fishes, by the Right Hon. Sir Herbert Maxwell, bart. With twelve coloured plates including twenty-two figures from photographs. London: Hutchinson, 1904. url p. 43.
- British salt-water fishes / by F. G. Aflalo; with a chapter on the artificial culture of sea fish by R. B. Marston; with coloured plates. London: Hutchinson & Co., 1904. url p. 154.
- British salt-water fishes, London, Hutchinson, 1904. url .
- British zoology, London: Printed for Wilkie and Robinson [etc.], 1812. url p. 288.
- British zoology. Warrington, Printed by W. Eyres, for B. White, London, 1776-77. url p. 213.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url p. 2210.
- Bulletin de la Station Biologique d'Arcachon. Arcachon. url p. 9.
- Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History). London: BM(NH) url p. 110, p. 152, p. 153, p. 16, p. 197, p. 203, p. 221, p. 263, p. 289, p. 64, p. 89, p. 99.
- Bulletin of the Museum of Comparative Zoology at Harvard College. 151 1987 Cambridge, Mass.: The Museum, 1863- url title , p. 271, p. 83, p. 83, p. 83.
- By the deep sea. A popular introduction to the wild life of the British shores, by Edward Step; with 122 illustrations by P.H. Gosse [and others] London, Jarrold & Sons, 1896. url , .
- Carotenoids, by Paul Karrer and Ernst Jucker. Translated and rev. by Ernest A. Braude. New York, Elsevier Pub. Co., 1950. url p. 368, p. 97.
- Carotenoids, their comparative biochemistry. New York, Chemical Pub. Co., 1954. url p. 332.
- Catalogue of scientific papers (1800-1900) Comp. by the Royal society of London. Cambridge, C. J. Clay and sons, 1867-1902; url p. 674, p. 830.
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. Compiled by the Royal Society of London. London, C.J. Clay and Sons, 1867-1902 [etc.] Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1914-25. url p. 674, p. 830.
- Catalogue of the fishes in the British Museum / by Albert Gu?nther. .. [Tokyo?]: Kagaku Kisho Hakkokai, Sho?wa 13 . url p. 11, p. 53, p. 547.
- Catalogue of the fishes in the. .. Museum / by A. Günther 1861. url p. 11, p. 53, p. 547.
- Contributions towards a fauna and flora of the county of Cork, read at the meeting of the British association held at Cork in the year 1843. The Vertebrata by Dr. Harvey. The Mollusca, Crustacea and Echinodermata by J.D. Humphreys. The flora by Dr. Power. (Published by the Cuvierian society of Cork) London, J. Van Voorst, 1845. url p. 20.
- Current bibliography for aquatic sciences and fisheries. London, Taylor & Francis ltd. url p. 823.
- Cuvier's animal kingdom: arranged according to its organization / translated from the French, and abridged for the use of students by H. McMurtrie. London: Orr and Smith, 1840. url p. 307.
- Dean bibliography of fishes. New York: American Museum of Natural History, 1971-1973. url p. 221, p. 471, p. 560, p. 565, p. 599, p. 600, p. 635, p. 645, p. 647, p. 649, p. 650, p. 651, p. 652, p. 671, p. 693.
- Ecological animal geography; an authorized, rewritten edition based on Tiergeographie auf ockologischer grundlage / by Richard Hesse. .. prepared by W. C. Allee. .. and Karl P. Schmidt. .. New York: J. Wiley & Sons, Inc.; 1937. url p. 39, p. 572.
- Edinburgh encyclopaedia, conducted by David Brewster. .. with the assistance of gentlemen eminent in science and literature. Edinburgh, Blackwood, 1830. url p. 715.
- Elements of natural history, adapted to the present state of the science, containing the generic characters of nearly the whole animal kingdom, and the descriptions of the principal species. By John Stark. .. Edinburgh: W. Blackwood; [etc., etc.], 1828. url p. 441.
- Essays on physiology and hygiene. Philadelphia, Haswell, Barrington, and Haswell, 1838. url p. 82.
- Fauna Orcadensis; or, The natural history of the quadrupeds, birds, reptiles and fishes of Orkney and Shetland, by the Rev. George Low. .. from a manuscript in the possession of Wm. Elford Leach. Edinburgh, Printed by G. Ramsay and company for A. Constable and company; [etc., etc.]1813. url p. 205, p. 205.
- Fertilization in fishes and the problem of polyspermy = Oplodotvorenie u ryb i problema polispermii / by A.S. Ginzburg; edited by T.A. Detlaf. Jerusalem: Israel Program for Scientific Translations, 1972. url p. 107, p. 108, p. 65, p. 67, p. 70.
- Fishery Board for Scotland. Scientific investigations. Edinburgh [etc.]H.M. Stationery Off. url p. 207, p. 343, p. 50, p. 58.
- Fishery bulletin / U.S. Dept. of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, National Marine Fisheries Service. Washington, D.C.: The Service: url p. 499.
- Fishes and fisheries of the Irish Sea; and especially of the Lancashire and western sea-fisheries district. By W. A. Herdman and Robert A. Dawson. London, George Philip & Son, 1902. url p. 40.
- General embryological information service. Utrecht, Hubrecht Laboratory. url p. 10, p. 33, p. 41.
- General zoology, or Systematic natural history, by George Shaw. .. with plates from the first authorities and most selected specimens, engraved principally by Mr. Heath. London, Printed for G. Kearsley, 1800-1826. url p. 232.
- Guide to the Gallery of Fishes [London]: BM(NH), 1908 url p. 181.
- Guide to the aquarium of the Zoological Station at Naples. Naples, H. Detken, [1885?] url p. 49.
- Habit and intelligence in their connexion with the laws of matter and force: a series of scientific essays. London: Macmillan, 1869 url p. 10.
- Handbook of zoology / by J. van der Hoeven. Cambridge: University Press, 1856-1858. url p. 148.
- Handbook of zoology; by J. van der Hoeven. Tr. from the 2d Dutch ed. by the Rev. William Clark. Cambridge: Longman, Brown, Green, Longmans, and Roberts, 1856-58. url p. 148.
- Hardwicke's science-gossip: an illustrated medium of interchange and gossip for students and lovers of nature. London: Robert Hardwicke, 1866- url , p. 146, p. 173.
- History of British animals / by John Fleming. Edinburgh: Bell & Bradfute; 1828. url p. 206.
- History of animals in ten books. Translated by Richard Cresswell. London, G. Bell, 1902. url p. 325.
- Ichthyology / edited by William Jardine. Edinburgh, etc.: W.H. Lizars, etc., 1852-1854. url p. 271.
- Ichthyology. London: s.n., 1856 url p. 305.
- Illustrated natural history of the animal kingdom, being a systematic and popular description of the habits, structure, and classification of animals from the highest to the lowest forms, with their r New-YorkDerby & Jackson1859 url p. 447.
- Jenaische Zeitschrift für Naturwissenschaft. Jena, Gustav Fischer [etc.]. url p. 210, p. 294, p. 334, p. 338, p. 448, p. 450, p. 524, p. 533, p. 536, p. 537, p. 550, p. 554, p. 664, p. 703, p. 706, p. 721.
- Journal of the Marine Biological Association of the United Kingdom. Cambridge [etc.]Cambridge University Press [etc.] url p. 253, p. 335, p. 441, p. 616.
- Journal of the Royal Institution of Cornwall. Truro, Eng., Workers of Cornwall Ltd. url p. 207, p. 51.
- Journal of the Royal Microscopical Society. Oxford [etc.]Royal Microscopical Society. url p. 546.
- Lancashire sea-fisheries memoir. London: G. Philip, 1899-1902. url p. 40.
- Leeches (Hirudinea) their structure, physiology, ecology and embryology / by K.H. Mann. With an appendix on the systematics of marine leeches, by E. W. Knight-Jones. New York, Pergamon Press, 1962. url p. 184.
- List of the specimens of the British animals in the collection of the British museum. London: Printed by order of the Trustees, 1845-55. url , , p. 52.
- List of the vertebrated animals living in the gardens of the Zoological Society of London. London: Printed for the Society, 1862. url p. 98.
- List of the vertebrated animals now or lately living in the gardens of the Zoological Society of London. London, Printed for the Society, 1896. url p. 667, p. 667.
- List of vertebrated animals living in the gardens of the Zoological Society of London. .. London, Printed for the Society, 1866. url p. 200.
- Manual of human and comparative histology / edited by S. Stricker, assisted by J. Arnold [et al.]; translated by Henry Power London: The New Sydenham Society, 1870-1873 url p. 117.
- Mark anniversary volume; to Edward Laurens Mark, Hersey professor of anatomy and director of the zoölogical laboratory at Harvard university, in celebration of twenty-five years of successful work for the advancement of zoölo New York, H. Holt and company, 1903. url p. 106.
- Memorial edition of Thomas Bewick's works. London, B. Quaritch, 1885-87. url p. 329.
- Memories of the months. Fourth series, by the Right Hon. Sir Herbert Maxwell, bart. London: E. Arnold, 1907. url p. 161.
- Natural history of the animal kingdom for the use of young people: in three parts, comprising I. Mammalia: II. Birds: Part III. Reptiles, amphibia, fishes, insects, worms, molluscs, zoophytes, &c.: with 91 coloured plates, including about 850 figures, and numerous adapted from the German of Professor von Schubert by W.F. Kirby. 1889 Brighton: E. & J.B. Young and Co., 1889. url figure , p. 10.
- Natural science. London: Macmillan & Co., [1892-1899] url p. 194.
- Nature. London, Macmillan. url p. 510.
- Notes from the Royal Botanic Garden, Edinburgh. 3 1905 Edinburgh: H. M. Stationery Off. url p. 244.
- Notes on some rare and interesting marine crustacea. Edinburgh, Fishery Board, 1904 url p. 50, p. 58.
- Odontography; or, A treatise on the comparative anatomy of the teeth; their physiological relations, mode of development, and microscopic structure, in the vertebrate animals. by Richard Owen. London, H. Baillière, 1840-45. url p. 102, p. 102.
- Official lists and indexes of names and works in zoology / edited by R.V. Melville and J.D.D. Smith. London: ICZN, 1987. url p. 99.
- On the biology of our flat-fishes and on the decrease of our flat-fish fisheries, with some observations showing how to remedy the latter and promote the flat-fish fisheries in our seas east of the Skaw. Kjøbenhavn: Centraltrykkeriet, 1894. url p. 121.
- Opinions and declarations rendered by the International Commission on Zoological Nomenclature. London, Printed by order of the International Trust for Zoological Nomenclature. url p. 257, p. 370, p. 431, p. 446.
- Oppian, Colluthus, Tryphiodorus, with an English translation by A.W. Mair LondonW. Heinemann1928 url p. 322, p. 520, p. liii.
- Pamphlets on forestry. Fish and game. [1900?- url p. 2217.
- Pliny's Natural history. In thirty-seven books. A translation on the basis of that by Dr. Philemon Holland, edited 1601. .. Edited by the Wernerian club. [London]Printed for the Club by G. Barclay, 1847-49. url p. 141.
- Popular history of the aquarium of marine and fresh-water animals and plants / by George Brettingham Sowerby. London: Lovell Reeve, 1857. url , p. 276, p. 283, p. 322.
- Prize essay on the natural and economical history of the fishes marine, fluviatile, and lacustrine, of the river district of the Firth of Forth. By Richard Parnell. .. EdinburghPrinted by Neill & Co., 1838 url p. 240.
- Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia, Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia url , p. 268, p. 268, p. 274, p. 277, p. 304, p. 346, p. 346.
- Proceedings of the Canadian Institute. Toronto, Canadian Institute. url p. 415, p. 415.
- Proceedings of the Natural History Society of Glasgow. Glasgow, Natural History Society of Glasgow. url p. 84.
- Proceedings of the Royal Irish Academy. Dublin: Royal Irish Academy, 1841- url p. 2.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. 9 1886 Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 488.
- Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London. London: Academic Press, [etc.], 1833-1965. url p. 195, p. 198, p. 200, p. 201, p. 202, p. 210, p. 246, p. 313, p. 506, p. 63, p. 63, p. 80, p. 80.
- Proceedings. Dorchester [etc.] url p. 27.
- Protozoo?logy, New York and Philadelphia, Lea & Febiger, 1909. url .
- Protozoölogy, by Gary N. Calkins. .. illustrated with 125 engravings and 4 colored plates. New York, Lea & Febiger, 1909. url p. 250.
- Quarterly journal of microscopical science. Oxford, [etc.]Clarendon Press [etc.] url p. 69.
- Report on the Lancashire sea-fisheries laboratory at the University of Liverpool, and the Sea-fish hatchery at Piel. .. Liverpool: C. Tinling & Co., 1893- url p. 46.
- Report upon the fauna of Liverpool Bay and the neighboring seas, written by members of the Liverpool Marine Biology Committee, and edited by W.A. Herdman. London, Longmans, Green, 1886-1900. url p. 292, p. 32.
- Reports of the Princeton University Expeditions to Patagonia, 1896-1899. J. B. Hatcher in charge. Edited by William B. Scott. Princeton, The University, 1901-32 [v. 1, 1903] url p. 481, p. 481, p. 481.
- Respiration, by J. S. Haldane New Haven: Yale university press; [etc., etc.], 1922 url p. 213, p. 215.
- Respiration. New HavenYale University Press1922 url p. 215.
- Revised list of the vertebrated animals now or lately living in the gardens of the Zoological society of London. 1872. London, Printed for the Society,  url p. 368.
- Scientific and biological researches in the north Atlantic / by R. Norris Wolfenden. London, Rebman, 1909. url p. 46.
- Sea and inland fisheries: report. DublinStationery Off. url p. 71.
- Smithsonian miscellaneous collections. 19 1878 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1862-1968. url p. 21, p. 426, Appendix.
- Special scientific report--wildlife / U.S. Department of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service. Washington, D.C.: The Service, 1949- url p. 657.
- System of ophthalmology. St. Louis, Mosby, 1958- url p. 296.
- The American journal of anatomy. Baltimore, MD: [s.n.], 1902-1991. url p. 100, p. 65.
- The Annals and magazine of natural history; zoology, botany, and geology being a continuation of the Annals combined with Loudon and Charlesworth's Magazine of Natural History. London, Taylor and Francis, Ltd. url p. 199, p. 199, p. 199, p. 199, p. 229, p. 229, p. 230, p. 232, p. 239, p. 299, p. 323, p. 323, p. 40, p. 403, p. 403, p. 415, p. 445, p. 448, p. 584, p. 587, p. 589, p. 590.
- The Annals of Scottish natural history. Edinburgh: David Douglas, 1892-1911. url p. 204.
- The Australian zoologist. Sydney, Royal Zoological Society of New South Wales url p. 192.
- The Biological bulletin. Woods Hole, Mass.: Marine Biological Laboratory, url p. 243.
- The British nature book; a complete handbook and guide to British nature study, embracing the mammals, birds, reptiles, fish, insects, plants, etc., in the United Kingdom, by S.N. Sedgwick. .. Edinburgh, T.C. & E.C. Jack, Ltd., 1922. url p. 162.
- The Cambridge natural history / edited by Sir S.F. Harmer and Sir A.E. Shipley. London: Macmillan, 1922-27 url p. 183.
- The Entomologist's monthly magazine. Oxford [etc.]Entomologist's Monthly Magazine Ltd. [etc.] url p. 291.
- The Journal of experimental zoology. [New York, etc.]Wiley-Liss [etc.] url p. 169, p. 172, p. 173.
- The London and Edinburgh philosophical magazine and journal of science. London: Richard and John E. Taylor, 1832-1840. url p. 299.
- The Naturalist. 1896 [Doncaster: Yorkshire Naturalists' Union], 1874- url p. 19, p. 23, p. 294.
- The Phytologist: a popular botanical miscellany. London, John van Voorst, 1844-56. url p. 13.
- The Popular science monthly. New York: D. Appleton, 1872-1895. url p. 600.
- The Scientific proceedings of the Royal Dublin Society. Dublin: The Society, 1877- url p. 227.
- The Scientific transactions of the Royal Dublin Society. Dublin: The Society, 1877- url p. 441.
- The Trematoda of British fishes. London, Sold by B. Quaritch, 1947. url p. 353.
- The Victoria history of the county of Cornwall / London: [A. Constable and Company], 1906- url p. 296, p. 297.
- The action of various pharmacological and other chemical agents on the chromatophores of the brook trout Salvelinus fontinalis Mitchill [by] John N. Lowe. Baltimore, The Waverly press, 1917 url p. 169, p. 172, p. 173.
- The animal kingdom arranged in conformity with its organization. London: Whittaker, 1827. url p. 38.
- The animal kingdom, arranged according to its organization, serving as a foundation for the natural history of animals: and an introduction to comparative anatomy / by Baron Cuvier; with figures designed after nature: the Crustacea, Arachnides, & Insecta, by M. Latreille; translated from the latest French edition; with additional notes, and illustrated by near London: G. Henderson, 1834-1837. url p. 153.
- The animal kingdom, arranged after its organization, forming a natural history of animals, and an introduction to comparative anatomy. By the late Baron Georges Cuvier. .. Tr. and adapted to the present state of science. The Mammelia birds, and reptiles, by Edward Blyth. The fishes and Radiala by Robert Mudie. The molluscous animals London, W. S. Orr and co., 1854. url p. 307.
- The animal kingdom: arranged after its organization; forming a natural history of animals, and an introduction to comparative anatomy. LondonH.G. Bohn1863 url p. 295.
- The aquarium: an unveiling of the wonders of the deep sea. By Philip Henry Gosse. London, J. Van Voorst, 1856. url , p. 100, p. 97.
- The aquarium: its inhabitants, structure, and management / by John Ellor Taylor. Edinburgh: John Grant, 1910. url p. 190, p. 313.
- The aquarium; its inhabitants, structure & management. London, Hardwicke, 1876. url p. 190, p. 313.
- The aquavivarium, fresh and marine: bbeing an account of the principles and objects involved in the domestic culture of water plants and animals / by E. Lankester. London: bRobert Hardwicke,  url p. 63.
- The aquavivarium, fresh and marine; being an account of the principles and objects involved in the domestic culture of water plants and animals. By E. Lankester. .. With numerous illustrations. London, R. Hardwicke[pref. 1856] url p. 63.
- The biology of marine animals. New York, Interscience Publishers url p. 692.
- The book of nature study, ed. by J. Bretland Farmer. .. assisted by a staff of specialists. Fully illustrated. London, Caxton publishing company[1908?]-1909. url p. 132.
- The class Pisces / arranged by the Baron Cuvier with supplementary additions, by Edward Griffith and Charles Hamilton Smith. London: Whittaker, 1834. url p. 368.
- The common objects of the sea shore: including hints for an aquarium / by the Rev. J.G. Wood; with illustrations by G.B. Sowerby. London: Routledge, Warne & Routledge, 1860. url p. 127.
- The family aquarium;: or, Aqua vivarium. .. being a familiar and complete instructor upon the subject of the construction, fitting-up, stocking, and maintenance of the fluvial and marine aquaria. .. / By Henry D. Butler. New-York:: Dick & Fitzgerald, Publishers., c1858. url p. 114.
- The fisheries exhibition literature. .. London, W. Clowes, 1884. url p. 124, p. 325.
- The fisheries of the Adriatic and the fish thereof: a report of the Austro-Hungarian sea-fisheries, with a detailed description of the marine fauna of the Adriatic Gulf / by G. L. Faber; with eighteen woodcut illustrations after drawings by Leo Littrow, and numerous engravings on stone. London: B. Quaritch, 1883. url p. 283.
- The fishes of Great Britain and Ireland. London, Williams and Norgate, 1880-1884. url , , p. 160, p. 161, p. 162, p. 163.
- The fishes of Samoa. Description of the species found in the Archipelago, with a provisional check-list of the fishes of Oceania. [By David Starr Jordan and Alvin Seale]. .. 1906 Washington, Government print off., 1906. url p. 401, fig. 90.
- The fishes of the Indo-Australian Archipelago. .. by Dr. Max Weber. .. and Dr. L.F. de Beaufort. Leiden, E.J. Brill, Ltd., 1911- url p. 194.
- The fresh-water fishes of China / by John Treadwell Nichols; with 143 figures in the text, 10 colored plates, and 1 map. 1943 New York: American Museum of Natural History, 1943. url p. 260.
- The fresh-water fishes of Mexico north of the isthmus of Tehuantepec. Chicago: Field Columbian Museum, 1904. url p. 229, p. 229, p. 243, p. 243.
- The game birds and wild fowl of Sweden and Norway; with an account of the seals and salt-water fishes of those countries. .. By L. Lloyd. .. London, F. Warne and co., 1867. url p. 488.
- The genera of fishes. ..: A contribution to the stability of scientific nomenclature / By David Starr Jordan. Stanford University, Calif.: The University, 1917-1920. url p. 12, p. 43.
- The industries of animals. London, W. Scott, Ltd., 1899. url .
- The life of a Scotch naturalist, Thomas Edward, Associate of the Linaean society. London, J. Murray, 1905. url p. 290.
- The life-histories of the British marine food-fishes. London, C. J. Clay and sons, 1897. url .
- The lipids, their chemistry and biochemistry. New York, Interscience Publishers, 1951-57. url p. 441, p. 993.
- The marine fishes and invertebrates of Loch Fyne. 2 Edinburgh, Fishery Board, 1897 url p. 110, p. 278.
- The natural history of British fishes. Edinburgh, W. H. Lizars; [etc.]1843. url , p. 252, p. 271.
- The natural history of Ireland. London: Reeve, Benham and Reeve, 1849-56. url p. 112, p. 114, p. 115.
- The natural history of animals: the animal life of the world in its various aspects and relations, London, The Gresham Publishing Company, 1903-04. url .
- The naturalist's library. Conducted by Sir William Jardine. Edinburgh, W. H. Lizars; [etc., etc.]1833- url , p. 252, p. 271.
- The naturalist. London: Simpkin, Marshall, 1865- url p. 4.
- The new natural history, by Richard Lydekker. .. and R. Bowdler Sharpe, H.A. MacPherson, F.O. Pickard-Cambridge, W.R. Ogilvie Grant, C.J. Gahan, F.A. Bather, Edgar A. Smith, R.I. Pocock, M. Bernard, H. Bernard and R. Kirkpatr New York, Merrill and Baker[189-?] url p. 388.
- The new natural history. New York, Merrill, c1901. url p. 2758.
- The practical study of malaria and other blood parasites, by J.W.W. Stephens and S.R. Christophers. London, Published for the University Press of Liverpool by Williams and Norgate, 1908. url p. 277, p. 358.
- The royal natural history / edited by Richard Lydekker; with preface by P.L. Sclater; illustrated with seventy-two coloured plates and sixteen hundred engravings by W. Kuhnert. .. [et al.]. London: F. Warne, 1893-1896. url p. 388.
- The royal natural history. With pref. by P. L. Sclater. Illustrated with 72 col. plates and 1600 engravings. London, F. Warne, 1893-96. url p. 388.
- The sea and its living wonders, London, Longman, Green, & Co.1892. url .
- The treasury of natural history; or, A popular dictionary of animated nature: in which the zoological characteristics that distinguish the different classes, genera, and species, are combined with a variety of interesting information illustrative of the habits, instincts, and g By Samuel Maunder. .. London, Longman, Brown, Green, and Longmans, 1852. url p. 237.
- The vertebrate fauna of Cheshire and Liverpool Bay / London: Witherby, 1910. url p. 90.
- Third American edition of the British encyclopedia, or Dictionary of arts and sciences: comprising an accurate and popular view of the present improved state of human knowledge / by William Nicholson. Philadelphia: Mitchell, Ames and White, 1818. url .
- Transactions of the Zoological Society of London. [London]: Published for the Zoological Society of London by Academic Press url p. 10, p. 185, p. 415.
- Wild life of the world: a descriptive survey of the geographical distribution of animals / London; F. Warne and co., 1916. url p. 349.
- Zoological illustrations, or, Original figures and descriptions of new, rare, or interesting animals: selected chiefly from the classes of ornithology, entomology, and conchology, and arranged on the principles of Cuvier and other modern zoologists / by William Swainson. London: Printed by R. and A. Taylor for Baldwin, Cradock, and Joy; and W. Wood, 1820-1823. url .
- Zoologist. London.1843-1916 url .
- Bisby, F.A., Y.R. Roskov, M.A. Ruggiero, T.M. Orrell, L.E. Paglinawan, P.W. Brewer, N. Bailly, J. van Hertum, eds (2007). Species 2000 and ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2007 Annual Checklist. Species 2000: Reading, U.K.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 10, 2012.
- FishBase 2006.
- FishBase. Release date: January 5, 2010
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility. Accessed November 17, 2007. http://www.gbif.org Mediated distribution data from 20 providers.
- Ruggiero M., Gordon D., Bailly N., Kirk P., Nicolson D. (2011). The Catalogue of Life Taxonomic Classification, Edition 2, Part A. In: Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2011 Annual Checklist (Bisby F.A., Roskov Y.R., Orrell T.M., Nicolson D., Paglinawan L.E., Bailly N., Kirk P.M., Bourgoin T., Baillargeon G., Ouvrard D., eds). DVD; Species 2000: Reading, UK.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 17, 2007:
- Royal Ontario Museum, Fish specimens
- The Swedish Museum of Natural History
- , Swedish Board of Fisheries
- - Institute of Coastal Research
- UK National Biodiversity Network, Countryside Council for Wales - Pembrokeshire Marine Species Atlas
- UK National Biodiversity Network, Marine Biological Association - Marine survey data
- held by MarLIN.
- University of Navarra, Museum of Zoology, Museum of Zoology, University of Navarra
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 3863763
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: Fis-29403
- Fishbase Species ID: 72
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 2400718
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 171850
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 111608
- Mean = -1.440 meters (-4.724 feet), Standard Deviation = 220.750 based on 3,513 observations. Altitude information for each observation from British Oceanographic Data Centre. [back]
- Miller, P.J. (1986). Gobiidae. p. 1019-1085. In P.J.P. Whitehead, M.-L. Bauchot, J.-C. Hureau, J. Nielsen and E. Tortonese (eds.) Fishes of the North-eastern Atlantic and the Mediterranean. Volume 3. UNESCO, Paris. [back]