Family : Righteye flounders ; Inhabits soft mud bottoms in fairly deep water. Feeds on crustaceans, polychaetes and brittle stars. Marketed fresh or frozen; eaten steamed, fried, microwaved and baked (Ref. 9988).
Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Danish:
Almindelig Sk, Almindelig Skærising, Sk, Skærising
Common Names in Dutch:
Common Names in English:
greysole, Craig fluke, gray sole, Grey Sole, Grey-sole, Whitch, willowy flounder, Witch, witch flounder, yanagimushigarei
Common Names in Faroese:
Common Names in Finnish:
Common Names in French:
Plie cynoglosse, plie grise
Common Names in German:
Hundszunge, Rotzunge, Zungenbutt
Common Names in Icelandic:
Common Names in Italian:
Passera lingua di cane
Common Names in Mandarin Chinese:
Common Names in Norwegian:
Mareflyndre, Sm, Smørflyndre
Common Names in Polish:
Common Names in Portuguese:
Common Names in Rumanian:
Common Names in Russian:
Common Names in Spanish:
Gallo Ingl, Gallo inglés, Mendo, Mendo Fals, Mendo falsó lenguado
Common Names in Swedish:
Typically found in water with a depth of 0 to -4,026 meters (0 to -13,209 feet).
Biome: Marine .
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Bateson, 1885
- Cuvier, 1812
- Jawed Vertebrates
- Huxley, 1880
- Huxley, 1880
- Suborder: Pleuronectoidei () -
- Order: Pleuronectiformes ()
- Superorder: Acanthopterygii ()
- Cohort: Clupeocephala ()
- Infraclass: Actinopteri ()
- Subclass: Actinopterygii ()
- Class: Osteichthyes () - Huxley, 1880
- Superclass: Osteichthyes () - Huxley, 1880
- Infraphylum: Gnathostomata () - auct. - Jawed Vertebrates
- Subphylum: Vertebrata () - Cuvier, 1812 - Vertebrates
- Phylum: Chordata () - Bateson, 1885 - Chordates
- Infrakingdom: Chordonia () - (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Deuterostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Glyptocephalus acadianus Gill • Glyptocephalus cynoglossus • Glyptocephalus kitaharai • Microstomus kitaharae Jordan and Starks, 1904 • Platessa elongata Yarrell • Pleuronectes cynoglossus • Pleuronectes cynoglossus Linnaeus • Pleuronectes cynoglossus Linnaeus, 1758 • Pleuronectes nigromanus Nilsson • Pleuronectes saxicola Faber
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: Data last modified by FishBase 09-Nov-1995
Members of the genus Glyptocephalus
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 4 species and subspecies in this genus:
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A bibliography of fishes, New York, American Museum of Natural History, 1916-1923. url .
- A bibliography of fishes, by Bashford Dean. .. New York: American Museum of Natural History, 1916-1923. url p. 489, p. 489.
- A catalogue of the fishes known to inhabit the waters of North America, north of the Tropic of Cancer, with notes on the species discovered in 1883 and 1884, by David Starr Jordan. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1885. url p. 136.
- A checklist of Canadian Atlantic fishes with keys for identification / Toronto, Royal Ontario Museum, 1965 url p. 17, p. 84, p. 98.
- A guide book to the marine fishes of Rhode Island. Photos by the author. Watch Hill, R. I., Book and Tackle Shop url p. 101, p. 40.
- A list of common and scientific names of fishes from the United States and Canada. Report presented at the eighty-ninth annual meeting, Clearwater, Fla., Sept. 16-18, 1959. Ann Arbor, Mich., 1960. url p. 47.
- A list of the publications of the United States National Museum (1875-1900) including the Annual reports, Proceedings, Bulletins, Special bulletins, and Circulars, with index of titles, by Randolph I. Geare. Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1902. url p. 146, p. 23.
- A manual of the vertebrate animals of the northern United States: including the district north and east of the Ozark mountains, south of the Laurentian hills, north of the southern boundary of Virginia, and east of the Missouri river, inclusive of marine species / Chicago:A. C. McClurg, 1916. url .
- A systematic monograph of the flatfishes (Heterosomata) / By J.R. Norman, &c. London, 1934. url p. 354, p. 366.
- American fishes; a popular treatise upon the game and food fishes of North America, with especial reference to habits and methods of capture, Boston, L. C. Page[c1903]. url .
- American food and game fishes. A popular account of all the species found in America north of the equator, with keys for ready identification, life histories and methods of capture, . by David Starr Jordan...and Barton Warren Evermann...illustrated with colored plates and text drawings, and with photographs from life, by A. Radclyffe Dugmore. Garden City, N.Y., Doubleday, Page & Co., 1908. url p. 531, p. 556.
- American food and game fishes: A popular account of all the species found in America north of the equator, with keys of ready identification, life histories and methods of capture New York: Doubleday, Page & co., 1902. url .
- American food and game fishes: a popular account of all the species found in America, north of the equator, with keys for ready identification, life histories and methods of capture, by David Starr Jordan and Barton Warren Evermann; with photos. from life by A. Radclyffe Dugmore. New York: Doubleday, Page, 1908, c1902. url p. 556.
- An analytical subject bibliography of the publications of the Bureau of Fisheries, 1871-1920 Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1921 url p. 69.
- An annotated catalogue of the fishes of Maine. Portland, Me., 1914. url p. 131, p. 73.
- An ecological characterization of Coastal Maine (north and east of Cape Elizabeth) / Stewart I. Fefer and Patricia S. Schettig: principal investigators. Newton Corner, Mass.: Department of the Interior, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Northeast Region, 1980. url , .
- Annual report of the Board of Regents of the Smithsonian Institution. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, -1965. url p. 236, p. 724.
- Annual report of the Commissioner of Fisheries to the Secretary of Commerce for the fiscal year ended. .. Washington: G.P.O., 1914-1940. url p. 21, p. 37, p. 61.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url p. 146, p. 2657, p. 316.
- Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History). London: BM(NH) url p. 152, p. 153, p. 196, p. 198, p. 212, p. 213, p. 238, p. 269, p. 282.
- Bulletin of the Bureau of Fisheries. Washington, D.C.: Govt. Print. Off., 1905-1950. url p. 511, p. 539, p. 6.
- Bulletin of the Essex Institute. Salem, Mass., Essex Institute. url p. 34, p. 6.
- Bulletin of the Museum of Comparative Zoology at Harvard College. Cambridge, Mass.: The Museum, 1863- url p. 111, p. 114, p. 184, p. 190, p. 190, p. 190, p. 191, p. 191, p. 195, p. 195, p. 195, p. 267, p. 277.
- Bulletin of the United States Fish Commission. Washington, The Commission, Govt. Print. Off. url p. 27, p. 381.
- Bulletin. Salem, Mass. url p. 32, p. 34, p. 37, p. 6.
- Catalogue of scientific papers (1800-1900) Comp. by the Royal society of London. Cambridge, C. J. Clay and sons, 1867-1902; url p. 153, p. 24.
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. Compiled by the Royal Society of London. London, C.J. Clay and Sons, 1867-1902 [etc.] Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1914-25. url p. 153.
- Check list of the fishes of the Dominion of Canada and Newfoundland. Ottawa, Printed by C. H. Parmelee, 1913. url , .
- Commercial fisheries review. [Washington]: National Marine Fisheries Service; [for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off.] url p. 75.
- Contributions to Canadian biology. Toronto, Biological Board of Canada. url p. 70.
- Contributions to North American ichthyology. Based primarily on the collections of the United States National Museum. Washington: Govt. print. off., 1877-78. url p. 316.
- Current bibliography for aquatic sciences and fisheries. London, Taylor & Francis ltd. url p. 104, p. 173, p. 37.
- Dean bibliography of fishes. New York: American Museum of Natural History, 1971-1973. url p. 319, p. 321, p. 499, p. 643, p. 646, p. 662, p. 74.
- Disposal area monitoring system annual data report - 1978: supplement A site report - Rockland. Newport, R.I.: The Center, 1979. url .
- Epifaunal zonation and community structure in three Mid- and North Atlantic canyons: final report for the canyon assessment study in the Mid- and North Atlantic areas of the U.S. outer continental shelf / Barbara Hecker, Gretchen Blechschmidt and Patricia Gibson. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Dept. of the Interior, Bureau of Land Management, 1980. url p. 30.
- Fauna of New England, 8. List of the pisces, by William C. Kendall. Boston, Printed for the [Boston] Society [of Natural History] from the G. Saltonstall Fund, 1908. url , p. 149.
- Fauna of New England. Boston, Printed for the [Boston] Society [of Natural History] from the Gurdon Saltonstall Fund, 1904-25. url .
- Fishery bulletin / U.S. Dept. of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, National Marine Fisheries Service. Washington, D.C.: The Service: url , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , p. 1312, p. 168, p. 173, p. 174, p. 182, p. 206, p. 267, p. 319, p. 426, p. 488, p. 5, p. 509, p. 52, p. 575, p. 610, p. 640, p. 648, p. 676, p. 677.
- Fishery bulletin. United States Fish and Wildlife Service. Washington, The Service, U.S. Govt Print. Off. url , p. 285, p. 286, p. 287.
- Fishery statistics of the United States / prepared by Data Management and Statistics Division. Washington, D.C.: Dept. of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, National Marine Fisheries Service: url p. 220, p. 257, p. 262, p. 273, p. 280, p. 313, p. 316, p. 320, p. 349, p. 350, p. 391, p. 441, p. 468, p. 504, p. 516.
- Fishes of the Gulf of Maine, by Henry B. Bigelow and William C. Schroeder. Washington, United States Government Printing Office, 1953. url p. 286, p. 287, p. 320, p. 341, p. 546, p. 549.
- Fishes of the Gulf of Maine. By Henry B. Bigelow. .. and William W. Welsh. .. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1925. url p. 511, p. 539, p. 6.
- Georges Bank benthic infauna monitoring program: final report for second year of sampling (July, 1982-May, 1983) / [Nancy Maciolek-Blake. .. et al.] Washington, D.C.: Prepared for U.S. Dept. of Interior, Minerals Management Service by Battelle New England Research Laboratory and Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, 1984. url .
- Guide to marine fishes; [a new method for identification of marine fishes. New York]New York University Press url p. 277, p. 326, p. 426.
- Industrial fishery technology: a survey of methods for domestic harvesting, preservation, and processing of fish used for food and for industrial products New York: Reinhold, 1963. url p. 72.
- List of the fishes of Nova Scotia (corrected to date, 1879) Halifax, N.S.: s.n., 1879 url .
- Mammals of the Soviet Union / V.G. Heptner, A.A. Nasimovich, and A.G. Bannikov; scientific editor, Robert S. Hoffmann. Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Libraries and National Science Foundation, 1988- url p. 768.
- NOAA technical report NMFS SSRF. Seattle, Wash.: National Marine Fisheries Service; url , , p. 1, p. 2, p. 3, p. 4.
- Occasional papers of the Boston Society of Natural History. Boston, Boston Society of Natural History, 1869-1941. url .
- Oceanic ichthyology: a treatise on the deep-sea and pelagic fishes of the world, based chiefly upon the collections made by the steamers "Blake, " "Albatross, " and "Fishhawk" in the northwestern Atlantic, with an atlas con by George Brown Goode and Tarleton H. Bean. Pub. in connection with the National Museum and the Smithsonian institution. 22 1896 Cambridge, U.S.A.: Printed for the Museum, 1896. url p. 22*, p. 430.
- Ontogeny and systematics of fishes: based on an international symposium dedicated to the memory of Elbert Halvor Ahlstrom / sponsored by the National Marine Fisheries Service, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, United States Dept. of Commerce. [New York?]: American Society of Ichthyologists and Herpetologists, c1984. url p. 654.
- Our living oceans: the first annual report on the status of U.S. living marine resources. [Washington, D.C.]: U.S. Dept. of Commerce, 1991. url p. 116.
- Oxygen depletion and associated benthic mortalities in New York Bight, 1976 / editors, R. Lawrence Swanson, Carl J. Sindermann. Rockville, Md.: National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration; 1979. url p. 300, p. 303.
- Pamphlets on forestry. Fish and game. [1900?- url p. 2604, p. 2657.
- Parasites of fishes of the Woods Hole region. By Edwin Linton. .. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1901. url p. 487.
- Proceedings and transactions of the Nova Scotian Institute of Natural Science. Halifax: Nova Scotian Institute of Natural Science. url p. 92.
- Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington. Washington, Biological Society of Washington url p. 210, p. 257.
- Proceedings of the North Atlantic Submarine Canyons Workshop: February 7-9, 1989 / prepared for the Minerals Management Service by Walcoff & Associates, Inc. Alexandria, Va.: Walcoff & Associates, 1989- url p. 64.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. 1 1878 Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 19, p. 21, p. 332, p. 500, p. 548, p. 662.
- Report of the Commissioner for. .. / United States Commission of Fish and Fisheries. Washington: G.P.O., 1874-1905. url , , , p. 100, p. 101, p. 11, p. 11, p. 178, p. 183, p. 219, p. 227, p. 233, p. 25, p. 25, p. 300, p. 300, p. 339, p. 37, p. 506, p. 506, p. 924.
- Report of the United States Commissioner of Fisheries for the fiscal year. .. with appendixes Washington: G.P.O., 1914- url p. 197, p. 21, p. 228, p. 551, p. 61.
- Smithsonian contributions to knowledge. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1848-1916. url p. 22, p. 430.
- Smithsonian miscellaneous collections. 27 1883 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1862-1968. url p. 167, p. 198, p. 5, p. 500, p. 78.
- Special bulletin / Smithsonian Institution, United States National Museum. Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1892- url p. 22*, p. 22*, p. 276, p. 430.
- Special scientific report. Seattle, National Marine Fisheries Service; for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off., 1949-1971. url p. 11, p. 13.
- Stellwagen Bank National Marine Sanctuary final environmental impact statement/management plan / Sanctuaries and Reserves Division. Washington, D.C.: The Division,  url p. 24.
- Studies of estuarine dependence of Atlantic coastal fishes, by John Clark [and others] Washington, U.S. Bureau of Sport Fisheries and Wildlife; [for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off.]1969. url p. 59.
- Syllogeus. Ottawa, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1972-1995. url p. 17.
- The Biological bulletin. Woods Hole, Mass.: Marine Biological Laboratory, url p. 309.
- The Cambridge natural history, ed. by S.F. Harmer. .. and A.E. Shipley. .. London, The Macmillan, Company, 1895-1909 url p. 741.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url , p. 255, p. 400, p. 409, p. 422, p. 475, p. 478, p. 479, p. 570, p. 573, p. 726, p. 746.
- The Journal of the Cincinnati Society of Natural History. Cincinnati: The Society, 1878/79 [i.e. 1878 or 1879]-1945. url p. 48.
- The Marine Mammal Commission compendium of selected treaties, international agreements, and other relevant documents on marine resources, wildlife, and the environment / compiled by Richard L. Wallace. Washington, D.C.: The Commission; 1994 url p. 1268.
- The Scientific transactions of the Royal Dublin Society. Dublin: The Society, 1877- url p. 506.
- The Trematoda of British fishes. London, Sold by B. Quaritch, 1947. url p. 356.
- The beam-trawl fishery of Great Britain, Washington, Govt. print. off., 1889. url p. 401.
- The fisheries and fishery industries of the United States. Prepared through the co-operation of the commissioner of fisheries and the superintendent of the tenth census by George Brown Goode. .. and a staff of associates. .. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1884-87. url p. 865.
- The lipids, their chemistry and biochemistry. New York, Interscience Publishers, 1951-57. url p. 993.
- Transactions of the Connecticut Academy of Arts and Sciences. New Haven: Published by the Academy, 1866- url p. 55.
- Trematodes of the Pacific Northwest, an annotated catalog [by] Ivan Pratt [and] James E. McCauley. Corvallis, Oregon State University Press url p. 109.
- [Forestry reports] Washington, 1893-1910 url .
- Amaoka, Kunio (from FishBase).
- American Fisheries Society. Common and Scientific Names of Fishes from the United states, Canada, and Mexico Sixth Edition. Special Publication 29.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 15, 2012.
- FishBase. Release date: January 5, 2010
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility. Accessed March 01, 2008. http://www.gbif.org Mediated distribution data from 11 providers.
- Ruggiero M., Gordon D., Bailly N., Kirk P., Nicolson D. (2011). The Catalogue of Life Taxonomic Classification, Edition 2, Part A. In: Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2011 Annual Checklist (Bisby F.A., Roskov Y.R., Orrell T.M., Nicolson D., Paglinawan L.E., Bailly N., Kirk P.M., Bourgoin T., Baillargeon G., Ouvrard D., eds). DVD; Species 2000: Reading, UK.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal March 01, 2008:
- Canadian Museum of Nature: Canadian Museum of Nature Fish Collection
- FishBase: FishBase DiGIR Provider - Philippine Server
- GBIF-Sweden: Fishes (NRM)
- GBIF-Sweden: Fishes of the Gothenburg Natural History Museum
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: Atlantic Reference Centre (OBIS Canada)
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: Bay of Fundy Species List (OBIS Canada)
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: Canadian Museum of Nature - Fish Collection (OBIS Canada)
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: DFO Maritimes Research Vessel Trawl Surveys Fish Observations (OBIS Canada)
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: ECNASAP - East Coast North America Strategic Assessment (OBIS Canada)
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: Electronic Atlas of Ichthyoplankton on the Scotian Shelf of North America (OBIS Canada)
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: Gulf of Maine Bottom Trawl Survey Data (NEFSC,NMFS,NOAA)(USOBIS)
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: Nova Scotia Museum of Natural History - Marine Birds, Mammals, and Fishes (OBIS Canada)
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: Taxonomic Information Sytem for the Belgian coastal area
- Museum national d'histoire naturelle: Ichtyologie
- Museum of Comparative Zoology, Harvard University: MCZ Fish Collection
- Royal Ontario Museum: Fish specimens
- Senckenberg: Collection Pisces
- UK National Biodiversity Network: Marine Biological Association - Marine survey data (Professional) held by MarLIN.
- University of Kansas Biodiversity Research Center: Fish Collection
- University of Navarra, Museum of Zoology: Museum of Zoology, University of Navarra
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 127606
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: Fis-22723
- Fishbase Species ID: 26
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 4490920
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 172873
- Natural Heritage Network Species Identifier: AFCTB05010
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 111323