Average male height 17 feet (5.3 meters), Weight averages 1800 pounds (800 kg ). The hoofed animals have chestnut brown blotches on buff colored fur. The spots on the fur darken as the animal ages. Giraffes have very long, flexible tongues and lips to go along with their long slender necks. The male giraffe's neck continues to grow after sexual maturity has been reached, whereas the females' neck stops growing when maturity is reached at about 10 years of age. Giraffes have seven vertebrae in their necks, just as humans do. They have very large eyes on the sides of their head , atop a periscope like neck, that give them wonderful eyesight. Also on the top of their head, they carry 2-4 stubby horns that lie under the skin . Their 8 inch ears give them a good sense of hearing.
- Standing up to 18 feet tall, the Giraffe is the tallest living land mammal. The neck alone can reach over 8 feet in length , and weight 500 lbs . Despite its length, the Giraffe has only 7 bones in its neck, the same number as humans.
- The Giraffe's long, prehensile tongue can extend its reach by 15".
- Giraffes use their height to feed high in trees where other animals cannot reach. Their height also helps them to detect approaching danger.
- The long muscular necks were once thought to be explained by Darwin's Natural Selection theory, but are now said to have come about by sexual selection. The male giraffes use their neck and head to battle for a female in estrous. The weight of the weapon, the head, produces great momentum when being swung at the chest, ribs , legs and neck of their opponent. This act, called "necking", can cause great injury and even death . At one zoo in North America, a keeper accidentally allowed two males to get into the same pen with a female in heat. The smaller male was killed when his opponent punched a hole in his neck just below the ear , splintering a vertebra and penetrating the spinal column. Experts seem to think that, because of this necking behavior, giraffes evolved through sexual selection. This also explains the fact that these animals spend 50 percent of their time grazing at bushes below their shoulder .
Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Afrikaans:
Common Names in Albanian:
Common Names in Amharic:
Common Names in Arabic:
Common Names in Azerbaijani:
Common Names in Bambara:
Common Names in Basque:
Common Names in Belarusian:
Common Names in Bengali, Bangla:
Common Names in Bosnian:
Common Names in Breton:
Common Names in Bulgarian:
Common Names in Burmese:
Common Names in Catalan, Valencian:
Common Names in Chinese:
Common Names in Croatian:
Common Names in Czech:
Common Names in Danish:
Common Names in Dutch:
Giraffe, Giraffe (dier)
Common Names in English:
Giraffe, Masai Giraffe, Reticulated Giraffe
Common Names in Esperanto:
Common Names in Estonian:
Common Names in Faroese:
Common Names in Finnish:
Common Names in French:
Common Names in Galician:
Common Names in German:
Common Names in Greek (modern):
Common Names in Gujarati:
Common Names in Haitian, Haitian Creole:
Common Names in Hausa:
Common Names in Hebrew (modern):
Common Names in Hindi:
Common Names in Hungarian:
Common Names in Icelandic:
Common Names in Ido:
Common Names in Indonesian:
Common Names in Irish:
Common Names in Japanese:
Common Names in Javanese:
Common Names in Kannada:
Common Names in Kazakh:
Common Names in Korean:
Common Names in Kurdish:
Common Names in Latin:
Common Names in Latvian:
Common Names in Lingala:
Common Names in Lithuanian:
Common Names in Luxembourgish, Letzeburgesch:
Common Names in Macedonian:
Common Names in Malay:
Common Names in Malayalam:
Common Names in Manx:
Common Names in Marathi (Marāṭhī):
Common Names in Mongolian:
Common Names in Navajo, Navaho:
Tsin yilátah ayání
Common Names in Nepali:
Common Names in Norwegian:
Common Names in Norwegian Nynorsk:
Common Names in Persian (Farsi):
Common Names in Polish:
Common Names in Portuguese:
Common Names in Quechua:
Common Names in Romanian:
Common Names in Russian:
Common Names in Sango:
Common Names in Scottish Gaelic, Gaelic:
Common Names in Serbian:
Common Names in Shona:
Common Names in Sinhala, Sinhalese:
Common Names in Slovak:
Common Names in Slovene:
Common Names in Somali:
Common Names in Sundanese:
Common Names in Swahili:
Common Names in Swedish:
Common Names in Tajik:
Common Names in Tamil:
Common Names in Telugu:
Common Names in Thai:
Common Names in Tibetan Standard, Tibetan, Central:
Common Names in Turkish:
Common Names in Ukrainian:
Common Names in Urdu:
Common Names in Uyghur, Uighur:
Common Names in Vietnamese:
Hươu cao cổ
Common Names in Yiddish:
Common Names in Zulu:
Species Giraffa camelopardalis
The Giraffe is the tallest animal in the world. Males may be 16-18
feet tall and weigh up to 2,000 pounds
. Females are usually lighter
and about two feet shorter. The giraffe's front legs
are only slightly
than the back ones, the height
of the fore part of the body
being largely due to the heavy muscular development of the base
The long neck has the usual seven vertebrae of most mammals, although each is greatly elongated. The giraffe's soup-plate-sized hooves are used as offensive weapons, usually in the defense of the calves . The powerful kick from the front feet can kill a lion.
The giraffe is one of the few ruminants born with horns. Both sexes have horns which are covered with skin . The horns of males are thicker and heavier and are used in fights between males.
The giraffe's canine teeth are splayed out in two or three lobes to comb the leaves off shoots . Their long black tongue, which can be extended 18 inches, is used to gather food into the mouth . To compensate for the sudden increase in blood pressure when the head is lowered, the giraffe has very elastic blood vessels and valves in the venous system of the neck.
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 2,163 meters (0 to 7,096 feet).
Typically associated with Acacia, Commiphora and Combretum
, but they also occur marginally in miombo Brachystegia
woodland and in Isoberlina woodland, in Cameroon (Ciofolo and Pendu
). Giraffes are selective browsers
, with Acacia species forming
the bulk of their diet
throughout the range
, but also species of
the genera Balanites, Commiphora, Detarium,
Boscia, Combretum, Ziziphus and Grewia
(Ciofolo and Pendu in press)..
List of Habitats :
- 1 Forest
- 1.5 Forest - Subtropical/Tropical Dry
- 2 Savanna
- 2.1 Savanna - Dry
- 2.2 Savanna - Moist
- 3 Shrubland
- 3.5 Shrubland - Subtropical/Tropical Dry
Giraffes are highly selective feeders
, the bulk of their diet
the leaves and shoots
, supplemented by climbers
and some herbs. Various species of acacia are favorite foods.
A large male may consume up to 75 pounds of food every 24 hours. Their stomach is like a cow's stomach, having four chambers that require the animal to chew its cud , fist sized balls of unchewed food that are regurgitated. These animals are thought to be very intelligent
- Chatton, 1925
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Grobben, 1908
- Bateson, 1885
- Cuvier, 1812
- Jawed Vertebrates
- Zittel, 1879
- Jawed Vertebrates
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Rowe, 1988) M.C. McKenna & S.K. Bell, 1997
- Huxley, 1880
- McKenna, 1975
- McKenna, 1975
- McKenna, 1975
- (McKenna, 1975) M.C. McKenna & S.K. Bell, 1997
- (Parker & Haswell, 1897) M.C. McKenna & S.K. Bell, 1997
- (Owen, 1837) M.C. McKenna & S.K. Bell, 1997
- Szalay & McKenna, 1971
- (McKenna, 1975) McKenna, in Stucky & McKenna, in Benton, ed., 1993
- (C. Linnaeus, 1766) McKenna, 1975
- McKenna, 1975
- Montgelard et al., 1997
- Suborder: Ruminantia () - Scopoli, 1777
- Order: Cetartiodactyla () - Montgelard et al., 1997
- Mirorder: Eparctocyona () - McKenna, 1975
- Grandorder: Laurasiatheria () - (C. Linnaeus, 1766) McKenna, 1975
- Superorder: Preptotheria () - (McKenna, 1975) McKenna, in Stucky & McKenna, in Benton, ed., 1993
- Magnorder: Boreoeutheria () - Szalay & McKenna, 1971
- Cohort: Placentalia () - (Owen, 1837) M.C. McKenna & S.K. Bell, 1997
- Supercohort: Theria () - (Parker & Haswell, 1897) M.C. McKenna & S.K. Bell, 1997
- Infralegion: Tribosphenida () - (McKenna, 1975) M.C. McKenna & S.K. Bell, 1997
- Sublegion: Zatheria () - McKenna, 1975
- Legion: Cladotheria () - McKenna, 1975
- Superlegion: Trechnotheria () - McKenna, 1975
- Infraclass: Eutheria () - Huxley, 1880
- Subclass: Boreosphenida () - (Rowe, 1988) M.C. McKenna & S.K. Bell, 1997
- Class: Mammalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758
- Superclass: Gnathostomata () - Zittel, 1879 - Jawed Vertebrates
- Infraphylum: Gnathostomata () - auct. - Jawed Vertebrates
- Subphylum: Vertebrata () - Cuvier, 1812 - Vertebrates
- Phylum: Chordata () - Bateson, 1885 - Chordates
- Superphylum: Deuterostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Infrakingdom: Chordonia () - (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Deuterostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - Animals
Members of the genus Giraffa
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 7 species and subspecies in this genus:
G. camelopardalis (Reticulated Giraffe) · G. camelopardalis giraffa (Giraffe) · G. camelopardalis peralta (Niger Giraffe) · G. camelopardalis reticulata (Reticulated Giraffe) · G. camelopardalis rothschildi (Rothschilds Giraffe) · G. camelopardalis thornicrofti (Rhodesian Giraffe) · G. camelopardalis tippelskirchi (Giraffe)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A catalogue of the collection of mammals in the Field Columbian Museum. 1907 8 Chicago: Field Columbian Museum, 1907. url p. 52.
- A sporting trip through Abyssinia; a narrative of a nine months' journey from the plains of the Hawash to the snows of Simien. London, R. Ward, 1902. url p. 486.
- A student's text-book of zoology / by Adam Sedgwick. London: S. Sonnenschein and co.; 1898-1909. url p. 590.
- A student's text-book of zoology, by Adam Sedgwick. .. London, Macmillan Co., 1898-1909. url p. 590.
- Advances in the study of mammalian behavior / edited by John F. Eisenberg and Devra G. Kleiman. [Stillwater, Okla.]: American Society of Mammalogists; 1983. url p. 649.
- Africa speaks: a story of adventure. .. / by Paul L. Hoefler; ill. with 143 reproductions from photographs taken by the author. London: J. Lane, Bodley Head, [192-?] url p. 451.
- African Ixodoidea. l. Ticks of the Sudan... [Washington]1956. url p. 577, p. 772, p. 799.
- African game trails, an account of the African wanderings of an American hunter-naturalist, by Theodore Roosevelt; with more than two hundred illustrations from photographs by Kermit Roosevelt and other members of the expedition, and from drawings by Philip R. Goodwin. New York: C. Scribner's Sons, 1910. url p. 539.
- African game trails; an account of the African wanderings of an American hunter-naturalist. With illustrations from photographs by Kermit Roosevelt and other members of the expedition, and from drawings by Philip R. Goodwin. London, John Murray, 1910. url p. 487.
- An introduction to the study of mammals living and extinct, by William Henry Flower. .. and Richard Lydekker. .. London, A. and C. Black, 1891. url p. 331.
- Anatomischer Anzeiger. Jena: G. Fischer, 1886- url p. 273, p. 274.
- Animal biology, by Lorande Loss Woodruff... New YorkThe Macmillan company[c1938] url p. 130.
- Animal life and the world of nature: a magazine of natural history throughout the world. London: Hutchinson, 1902-1904. url p. 79, p. 80.
- Annual report of the Board of Regents of the Smithsonian Institution. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, -1965. url p. 101, p. 104, p. 105, p. 106, p. 114, p. 114, p. 118, p. 120, p. 129, p. 135, p. 144, p. 146, p. 147, p. 147, p. 151, p. 163, p. 411, p. 425, p. 79, p. 83, p. 85, p. 91, p. 98.
- Annual report of the New York Zoological Society. New York: New York Zoological Society, 1897- url p. 129.
- Big game shooting on the equator, by Captain F. A. Dickinson, F. R. G. S. With an introduction by Sir Charles Norton Eliot. 77 illustrations reproduced from photographs. London, J. Lane1908  url p. 92, p. 92.
- Big game shooting, edited by Horace G. Hutchinson. .. London: C. Scribner's sons, 1905. url p. 97.
- Big game shooting. With contributions by Sir Samuel W. Baker [and others] With illus. by Charles Whymper, J. Wolf and H. Willink. London: Longmans, Green, 1894. url p. 275.
- Biosphere Reserves, Compilation 4, October 1986: programme on man and the biosphere (MAB) IUCN Conservation Monitoring Centre url p. 107, p. 278, p. 335, p. 361, p. 363, p. 367, p. 370, p. 57, p. 88.
- Breviora. 1979 Cambridge, Mass.: Museum of Comparative Zoology, Harvard University, [1952- url p. 3.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url p. 57, p. 58, p. 60.
- Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History). London: BM(NH) url p. 17, p. 245, p. 34, p. 8, p. 149, p. 285.
- Bulletin of the Museum of Comparative Zoology at Harvard College. 83 1939 Cambridge, Mass.: The Museum, 1863- url p. 467, p. 573, p. 577, p. 581, p. 593, p. 608, p. 657, p. 709, p. 723, p. 727, p. 751.
- Catalogue of Mammalia in the Indian Museum, Calcutta / by John Anderson, Superintendent of the Indian Museum. Calcutta, 1881-1891. url p. 171, p. 18.
- Catalogue of mammalia in the Indian Museum, Calcutta, Calcutta, 1881-1891. url , .
- Catalogue of ruminant Mammalia (Pecora, Linnaeus) in the British Museum / by John Edward Gray. London: British Museum, 1872. url p. 65.
- Catalogue of the Selous Collection of Big Game in the British Museum (Natural History). By J.G. Dollman, B.A. London, Printed by order of the Trustees, 1921. url p. 105, p. 107, p. 107, p. 110, p. 110, p. 111, p. 111.
- Catalogue of the Selous collection of big game in the British museum (Natural History) by J.G. Dollman. LondonPrinted by order of the Trustees1921 url p. 105, p. 107, p. 110, p. 111.
- Catalogue of the bones of Mammalia in the collection of the British museum. London, Printed by Order of the Trustees, 1862. url .
- Catalogue of the bones of mammalia in the collection of the British Museum / [compiled by Edward Gerrard]. London: printed by Taylor and Francis, by order of the Trustees, 1862 url p. 254.
- Catalogue of the fossil Mammalia in the British museum (Natural History) by Richard Lydekker. London: Printed by order of the Trustees, 1885-1887. url p. 73.
- Catalogue of the fossil mammalia in the British Museum (Natural History), by Richard Lydekker. London, Trustees of the B.M., 1885-7. url p. 73.
- Catalogue of the specimens of Mammalia in the collection of the British Museum London: Printed by order of the trustees, 1850 url p. 181.
- Catalogue of the ungulate mammals in the British Museum (Natural History) by R. Lydekker. London, Printed by order of the Trustees, 1913-16. url , , p. 143, p. 206, p. 237, p. 240, p. 243, p. 251, p. 252, p. 253, p. 268, p. 269, p. 272, p. 273, p. 274, p. 277, p. 278, p.
- Central African game and its spoor / by C.H. Stigand and D.D. Lyell; profusely illustrated with photographs of the same and drawings by D.D. Lyell. London: H. Cox, 1909. url p. 81.
- Comparative embryology of the vertebrates; with 2057 drawings and photos. grouped as 380 illus. New York, Blakiston url p. 100.
- Descriptive and illustrated catalogue of the physiological series of comparative anatomy contained in the Museum of the Royal College of Surgeons of England. London, Taylor [and] Francis (pr.)1900-1902. url p. 335.
- Edmund Loder, naturalist, horticulturist, traveller and sportsman: a memoir / by Alfred E. Pease; with contributions by St. George Littledale [et. al.]. London: J. Murray, 1923. url p. 294.
- Elephant-hunting in east equatorial Africa; being an account of three years' ivory-hunting under Mount Kenia and among the Ndorobo savages of the Lorogi Mountains, including a trip to the north end of Lake Rudolph, by Arthur H. Neumann; with numerous illustrations by J.G. Millais, E. Caldwell and G.E. Lodge; coloured plate and map. London: R. Ward, limited, 1898. url p. 414.
- Extinct and vanishing mammals of the Old World. Illus. by Earl L. Poole. New York, American Committee for International Wild Life Protection, 1945. url p. 484, p. 490, p. 495, p. 501, p. 778, p. 812, p. 817, p. 820, p. 829, p. 836, p. 839, p. 842, p. 847, p. 849.
- Field Museum news. Chicago: Field Museum of Natural History, [1930-1943] url p. 5.
- General embryological information service. Utrecht, Hubrecht Laboratory. url p. 81, p. 83.
- General function of the gall bladder from the evolutionary standpoint, by Frank W. Gorham and Andrew Conway Ivy. 22 1938 Chicago, 1938. url p. 196.
- Great and small game of Africa: an account of the distribution, habits, and natural history of the sporting mammals, with personal hunting experiences / 1899 London: Rowland Ward, Limited, 1899. url p. 2, p. 4, p. 509.
- Guide to the galleries of mammalia (mammalian, osteological, cetacean) in the Department of Zoology of the British Museum (Natural History). [London]: Trustees of the British Museum, 1892. url p. 94.
- IUCN Directory of Afrotropical Protected Areas IUCN, UNEP url p. 1001, p. 103, p. 109, p. 12, p. 120, p. 123, p. 130, p. 190, p. 193, p. 197, p. 257, p. 26, p. 262, p. 274, p. 28, p. 303, p. 306, p. 307, p. 433, p. 447, p. 457, p. 468, p. 47, p. 493, p. 495, p. 529, p. 639, p. 645, p. 651, p. 652, p. 660, p. 664, p. 680, p. 685, p. 686, p. 695, p. 714, p. 728, p. 798, p. 804, p. 816, p. 817, p. 82, p. 824, p. 831, p. 834, p. 837, p. 839, p. 84, p. 844, p. 846, p. 847, p. 852, p. 890, p. 901, p. 955, p. 972, p. 983.
- Ixodidae / par L. G. Neumann. Berlin: R. Friedlander und sohn, 1911. url p. 144, p. 51, p. 79.
- Ixodidae. BerlinR. Friedländer1911 url p. 144, p. 79.
- Journal of comparative neurology. Philadelphia, Pa.: Wistar Institute of Anatomy and Biology, [1911?- url p. 329, p. 331, p. 358.
- Journal of the Society for the Preservation of the Wild Fauna of the Empire. 2 1905 London, The Society. url p. 47.
- Late Pleistocene vertebrates from archaeological sites in the Plain of Kom Ombo, Upper Egypt / [Toronto: Royal Ontario Museum], 1972. url p. 17.
- Life-histories of African game animals, by Theodore Roosevelt and Edmund Heller; with illustrations from photographs, and from drawings by Philip R. Goodwin; and with forty faunal maps. .. 1 1914 New York, C. Scribner's Sons, 1914. url p. 302, p. 766, p. 784.
- List of the vertebrated animals now or lately living in the gardens of the Zoological Society of London. London: Printed for the Society, 1896. url p. 170, p. 170.
- Mammalia, by Frank Evers Beddard. .. London, Macmillan and Co., Limited;1902. url p. 303, p. 305.
- Mammals collected by the Swedish Zoological Expedition to British East Africa 1911 / by Einar Lönnberg. With 15 plates and 6 figures in the text. Uppsala; Stockholm: Almqvist & Wiksells Boktryckeri, 1912. url p. 23.
- Memoirs and proceedings of the Manchester Literary & Philosophical Society. Manchester: The Society, 1888-1980. url p. 33.
- Natural history essays / by Graham Renshaw. London: Sherratt & Hughes, 1904. url p. 133, p. 134.
- Natural history essays; by Graham Renshaw. .. London [etc.]Sherratt & Hughes, 1904. url p. 101.
- Natural history, New York, D. Appleton and company, 1897. url .
- Natural history, by R. Lydekker, W. F. Kirby, B. B. Woodward, R. Kirpatrick, R. I. Pocock, R. Bowdler Sharpe, W. Garstang, F. A. Bather, H. M. Bernard. New York, D. Appleton and company, 1897. url p. 147.
- Nature et faune: revue internationale pour la conservation de la nature en Afrique = Wildlife and nature: international journal on nature conservation in Africa. Accra, Ghana: Bureau régional de la F.A.O. pour l'Afrique, url p. 11, p. 16, p. 2, p. 3, p. 32, p. 9.
- Nature. London, etc., Macmillan Journals Ltd., etc. url p. 23, p. 277, p. 281, p. 349, p. 35, p. 381, p. 407, p. 443.
- Official lists and indexes of names and works in zoology. London, U.K.: International Trust for Zoological Nomenclature, c/o Natural History Museum, 2001. url p. 125.
- Outlines of zoology / by J. Arthur Thomson. London; Humphrey Milford, Oxford University Press, 1944. url p. 852.
- Outlines of zoology, Edinburgh, H. Frowde and Hodder & Stoughton, 1899. url .
- Outlines of zoology, New York, Appleton, 1916. url .
- Outlines of zoology, New York, D. Appleton & Co., 1895. url .
- Popular official guide to the New York zoological park / New York: New York zoological Society, 1915. url .
- Private protected areas: a preliminary study of initiatives to conserve biodiversity in selected African countries WCMC url p. 13, p. 19, p. 37.
- Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia, Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia url p. 518.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 27, p. 446, p. 591, p. 600.
- Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London. London: Academic Press, [etc.], 1833-1965. url , , , , , , , , p. 1059, p. 1068, p. 119, p. 121, p. 169, p. 202, p. 203, p. 205, p. 207, p. 211, p. 215, p. 219, p. 22, p. 221, p. 225, p. 227, p. 275, p. 277, p. 316, p. 316, p. 399, p. 40, p. 41, p. 475, p. 486, p. 498, p. 657, p. 669, p. 9, p. 911.
- Productive farming; or, A familiar digest of the recent discoveries of Liebig, Johnston, Davy, and other celebrated writers on vegetable chemistry; showing how the results of tillage might be greatly augmented. By Joseph A. Smith. New York, D. Appleton & Co., 1843. url p. 365.
- Protected Landscapes: experience around the world. Prepared for the International Symposium on Protected Landscapes, Grange-over-Sands, England 5-10 October 1987 IUCN url p. 370, p. 372.
- Records of big game with their distribution, characteristics, dimensions, weights, and horn & tusk measurements. Edited by R. Lydekker and J. B. Burlace. London, 1914. url p. 113.
- Records of big game, with their distribution, characteristics, dimensions, weights, and horn & tusk measurements. London: R. Ward, limited, 1907. url p. 115.
- Records of big game: with their distribution, characteristics, dimensions, weights, and horn & tusk measurements / by Rowland Ward, F.Z.S. London [England]: Rowland Ward, limited, 1910. url p. 115.
- Records of big game; with the distribution, characteristics, dimensions, weights, and horn & tusk measurements of the different species. London, R. Ward, limited, 1903. url p. 109.
- Report of the Secretary of the Smithsonian Institution and financial report of the Executive Committee of the Board of Regents for the year ending June 30. .. Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution, 1933-1965. url p. 101, p. 102, p. 103, p. 104, p. 105, p. 105, p. 106, p. 114, p. 114, p. 115, p. 118, p. 119, p. 120, p. 129, p. 129, p. 131, p. 135, p. 147, p. 147, p. 151, p. 163, p. 73, p. 78, p. 79, p. 91, p. 94, p. 98.
- Science-gossip. Berlin: R. Friedländer & Sohn, -1902. url p. 274.
- Science. New York, N.Y.: [s.n.]1880- url p. 943.
- Smithsonian contributions to knowledge. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1848-1916. url p. 234.
- Smithsonian miscellaneous collections. 56 1912 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1862-1968. url p. 1.
- Smithsonian year. 1965 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1965-1976. url p. 174.
- Sourcebook on Remote Sensing and Biodiversity Indicators. Convention on Biological Diversity Technical Series 32 CBD url p. 72.
- The Australian zoologist. Sydney, Royal Zoological Society of New South Wales url , p. 452.
- The Bulletin of zoological nomenclature. London, International Trust for Zoological Nomenclature. url , p. 100, p. 111, p. 113, p. 113, p. 136, p. 137, p. 171, p. 222, p. 245, p. 258, p. 260, p. 261, p. 262, p. 285.
- The Cambridge natural history / edited by S. F. Harmer and A. E. Shipley. London: Macmillan and Co.; 1895-1909. url p. 304, p. 305.
- The Cambridge natural history, London, Macmillan and Co., Limited;1895-1909 url .
- The Cambridge natural history, ed. by S.F. Harmer. .. and A.E. Shipley. .. London, Macmillan and co., limited;1895-1909 url p. 302, p. 303, p. 305.
- The Marine Mammal Commission compendium of selected treaties, international agreements, and other relevant documents on marine resources, wildlife, and the environment / compiled by Richard L. Wallace. Washington, D.C.: The Commission; 1994 url p. 564.
- The Uganda protectorate; an attempt to give some description of the physical geography, botany, zoology, anthropology, languages and history of the territories under British protection in East Central Africa, between the Cong by Sir Harry Johnston. .. With 506 illustrations from drawings and photographs by the author and others, 48 full-page coloured plates by the author and 9 maps by J.G. Bartholomew and the author. London: Hutchinson & Co., 1902. url p. 424.
- The anatomical record. [New York, etc.]A. R. Liss [etc.] url p. 56.
- The game animals of Africa, by R. Lydekker. London: R. Ward, limited, 1908. url p. 19, p. 350, p. 354, p. 477.
- The geography of mammals, by William Lutley Sclater and Philip Lutley Sclater. London, K. Paul, Trench, Trübner & co., ltd., 1899. url p. 294, p. 332, p. 92.
- The giraffe in history and art / by Berthold Laufer, Curator of Anthropology. 9 plates in photogravure, 23 text-figures, and 1 vignette. Chicago:Field Museum of Natural History, 1928. url p. 3.
- The handy natural history, by Ernest Protheroe, F.Z.S. With 318 illustrations, 136 being in full color. 1910 Boston, R.G. Badger, The Gorham press, 1910. url p. 337.
- The life of animals; the mammals, London, The Macmillan Company, 1906. url .
- The mammals of South Africa / by W.L. Sclater. .. London: R.H. Porter, 1900-01. url p. 258, p. 260.
- The natural history of animals: the animal life of the world in its various aspects and relations, London, The Gresham Publishing Company, 1903-04. url , , .
- The odyssey of an animal collector / Introd. by G. M. Vevers. New York: Longmans, Green, 1954 [c1953] url p. 357.
- Through Angola, a coming colony, by Colonel J. C. B. Statham. .. With 138 illustrations, 2 maps and 4 charts. Edinburgh: W. Blackwood & sons, 1922. url p. 384.
- Transactions of the Academy of Science of St. Louis. [St. Louis: Academy of Science of St. Louis], 1860-1958. url p. 42, p. 42.
- Transactions of the South African Philosophical Society. 10 1898 Cape Town, : The Society. url recent scientific publications on sa , p. 437.
- Transactions of the Zoological Society of London. [London]: Published for the Zoological Society of London by Academic Press url p. 475, p. 611.
- Vertebrate zoölogy, by Horatio Hackett Newman New York, The Macmillan company, 1920 url p. 391.
- Wild life of the world: a descriptive survey of the geographical distribution of animals / London; F. Warne and co., 1916. url p. 104, p. 402.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 10, 2012.
- Fennessy, J. and Brown, D. 2010. Giraffa camelopardalis. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloadedon 01February2012.
- IUCN 2012. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. . Downloaded on January 28, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 26, 2007:
- Los Angeles County Museum of Natural History, Vertebrate specimens
- Marine Science Institute, UCSB, Paleobiology Database
- Michigan State University Museum, Vertebrate specimens
- Museum of Texas Tech University
- , Mammal specimens
- University of Alaska Museum of the North, University of New Mexico Museum of Southwestern Biology Mammal Collection
- University of Helsinki, Department of Applied Biology, Animal observations
- University of Washington Burke Museum, Mammal Specimens
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 106094
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-625036
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 2481042
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 625036
- IUCN ID: 211358
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 5550
- Mean = 569.790 meters (1,869.390 feet), Standard Deviation = 1,572.140 based on 24 observations. Altitude information for each observation from British Oceanographic Data Centre. [back]
- Fennessy, J. & Brown, D. 2010. Giraffa camelopardalis. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloaded on 01 February 2012. [back]