Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Alutiiq:
Common Names in Bulgarian:
Common Names in Catalan:
Common Names in Croatian:
Common Names in Czech:
Kolju, Koljueka triostna, Koljuška tříostná
Common Names in Danish:
Common Names in Dutch:
Driedoornige stekelbaars, Stekelbaars
Common Names in English:
three spined stickleback, Threespined Stickleback, Alaskan stickleback, Banstickle, Barnstickle, Barnystickle, Barnytickle, Branchy, Branstickle, Burnstickle, Common stickleback, Cordonnier, Cushy, Doctor, Eastern stickleback, European stickleback, Jacksharp, New York stickleback, Pinfish, Prickley, Prickly, Prickly back, Santa Ana Stickleback, Saw-finned stickleback, Spanicle, Spannistickle, Spanny, Spannytickle, Spantickle, Sparnicle, Sparny, Sparnytickle, Spawn, Spawnykettle, Spawnytickle, Stickleback, Thornback, Thorny back, Three-spined stickleback, threespine stickleback, Tiddler, Twospine stickleback, Unarmored Threespine Stickleback
Common Names in Estonian:
Common Names in Faroese:
Beinmurtur, Eldmurtur, Eyrri, Eyrriðasild, Horngeil, Horngeir, Hvasss, Hvasssíl, Kombikk
Common Names in Farsi:
Sehkhareh, سه خاره
Common Names in Finnish:
Common Names in French:
Arselet, Ã©pinoche Ã trois Ã©pines, Cordonnier, Cr, Crève-valet, Épinart, Épinglet, Épinoche, Epinoche à trois épines, Estancelin, Estranglo cat, Spinaub, Spinaubé, Spinavaou, Stichling, Trouncut
Common Names in Gaelic, Irish:
Agathero, Snathaid Mhara
Common Names in German:
Dreistacheliger Stichling, Dreistachliger Stichling, Gro, Großer Stichling, Rotzbarsch, Seestichling, Stachel de butz, Stachelbauch, Stachele, Stachelfisch, Stechb, Stechbüttel, Stecherling, Stechert, Steckb, Steckbedel, Steckbüdel, Steckelbars, Steckelstange, Steckker, Steckling, Stichling
Common Names in Greek:
Agathero, Αγκαθερό, Σκυλόψαρο, Σταυρίδι
Common Names in Greek, Modern:
Common Names in Greek, Modern (1453):
Common Names in Hungarian:
Tükes pikó, Tükes pikós
Common Names in Hungarian (Magyar):
Common Names in Icelandic:
Common Names in Inuktitut:
Kakelashuk, Kakilaychok, Kakilisak, Kakilishek, Kakilusuk, Kakkilasak, Katilautik
Common Names in Irish:
Agathero, Snathaid Mhara
Common Names in Italian:
Common Names in Japanese:
Hariyo, Itoyo, イトヨ
Common Names in Korean:
Common Names in Latvian:
Common Names in Lithuanian:
Common Names in Mandarin Chinese:
三刺魚, 三刺鱼, 威氏三刺魚, 威氏三刺鱼, 桑塔三刺魚, 桑塔三刺鱼, 鋸刺魚, 锯刺鱼, 阿拉斯加刺魚, 阿拉斯加刺鱼
Common Names in Norwegian:
Stikling, Trepigget stingsild
Common Names in Persian:
Sehkhareh, سه خاره
Common Names in Polish:
Common Names in Portuguese:
Esgana-gata, Esganagata, Espinhela, Peixe-espinho
Common Names in Romanian:
Common Names in Rumanian:
Common Names in Russian:
Trekhiglaja koliushka, Trekhiglaya kolyushka
Common Names in Serbian:
Common Names in Slovak:
Pichlavka, Pichlavka Sin, Pichlavka siná
Common Names in Slovene:
Common Names in Slovenian:
Common Names in Spanish:
Doctor, espinocho, Espinosillo, Espinoso
Common Names in Swedish:
Common Names in Turkish:
Common Names in Ukrainian:
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 2,911 meters (0 to 9,551 feet).
This species is typically found in quiet weedy pools
It is also found in the marginal
vegetation of streams
, over sand
populations are pelagic, and usually
along the coast, in estuaries and coastal lagoons
In some lakes
, two morphologically and ecologically distinct
may occur, differing in habitat
, the other mainly limnetic
are deposited in freshwater
in a nest
of plant material
by the male on the bottom in shallow water. The female will typically
a few hundred
eggs and may lay eggs in several nests over a period
of several days (Morrow 1980).
Anadromous , with numerous resident populations in brackish or pure freshwater, rarely in marine waters. Usually forages at sea until two years old, then moves to lower part of rivers in March-April to reproduce. Freshwater populations usually spawn for the first time at one year. In spawning season , males develop a bright orange to red belly and blue-green flank and eyes. They defend territories, in which in April-June they construct a nest on the bottom, in relatively shallow areas, very rarely attached to plants . They make a depression up to 14 × 10 cm to which they bring plant materials (especially filamentous algae), which are glued together with kidney secretions. Several females are individually led to the nest to spawn, then chased away. Males guard and fan eggs to provide them with oxygenated water. Spawning behaviour is very stereotyped. Eggs hatch in 7-8 days and juveniles are guarded for a few days after which male abandons the nest. Anadromous individuals usually die of exhaustion after spawning cycle while freshwater individuals are able to complete several cycles within one year or sometimes over several years. Juveniles move to sea (anadromous populations) or to deeper, larger water bodies (freshwater populations) in July-August where they form large feeding schools. Feeds on small aquatic invertebrates , especially insects and crustaceans..
List of Habitats:
- 5 Wetlands (inland)
- 5.1 Wetlands (inland) - Permanent Rivers/Streams/Creeks (includes waterfalls )
- 5.5 Wetlands (inland) - Permanent Freshwater Lakes (over 8ha)
- 5.7 Wetlands (inland) - Permanent Freshwater Marshes/Pools (under 8ha)
- 5.13 Wetlands (inland) - Permanent Inland Deltas
- 5.14 Wetlands (inland) - Permanent Saline, Brackish or Alkaline Lakes
- 5.16 Wetlands (inland) - Permanent Saline, Brackish or Alkaline Marshes/Pools
- 9 Marine Neritic
- 9.1 Marine Neritic - Pelagic
- 9.9 Marine Neritic - Seagrass (Submerged)
- 9.10 Marine Neritic - Estuaries
- 12 Marine Intertidal
- 13 Marine Coastal/Supratidal
- 13.4 Marine Coastal/Supratidal - Coastal Brackish/Saline Lagoons/Marine Lakes
- 13.5 Marine Coastal/Supratidal - Coastal Freshwater Lakes [more info]
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Bateson, 1885
- Cuvier, 1812
- Jawed Vertebrates
- Huxley, 1880
- Class: Osteichthyes () - Huxley, 1880
- Superclass: Osteichthyes () - Huxley, 1880
- Infraphylum: Gnathostomata () - auct. - Jawed Vertebrates
- Subphylum: Vertebrata () - Cuvier, 1812 - Vertebrates
- Phylum: Chordata () - Bateson, 1885 - Chordates
- Infrakingdom: Chordonia () - (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Deuterostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Gasterosteus aculeatus aculeatus • Gasterosteus aculeatus aculeatus Linnaeus • Gasterosteus aculeatus aculeatus Linnaeus, 1758 • Gasterosteus aculeatus crenobionta • Gasterosteus aculeatus crenobionta Bacescu & Mayer, 1956 • Gasterosteus crenobiontus • Gasterosteus crenobiontus Bacescu & Mayer, 1956
Members of the genus Gasterosteus
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 26 species and subspecies in this genus:
G. aculeatus (Three Spined Stickleback) · G. aculeatus aculeatus (Banstickle) · G. aculeatus santaeannae (Santa Ana Stickleback) · G. aculeatus williamsoni (Unarmored Threespine Stickleback) · G. canadus (Black King Fish) · G. carolinus (Carolina Pompano) · G. crenobiontus (Techirghiol Stickleback) · G. ductor (Pilot Fish) · G. gymnurus (Western Threespine Stickleback) · G. inconstans (Common Freshwater Stickleback) · G. islandicus (Iceland Stickleback) · G. japonicus (Japanese Pineconefish) · G. laevis (Smoothtail Ninespine Stickleback) · G. microcephalus (West Coast Threespine Stickleback) · G. ovatus (Short Dorsal Fin Pompano) · G. platygaster (Southern Nine-Spined Stickleback) · G. platygaster aralensis (Aral Stickleback) · G. pungitius (Nine-Spined Stickleback) · G. quadracus (Four-Spined Stickleback) · G. saltatrix (Santa Ana Stickleback) · G. sinensis (Amur Nine-Spined Stickleback) · G. spinachia (Fifteen-Spined Stickleback) · G. trachurus (Sakhalin Nine-Spined Stickleback) · G. volitans (Ornate Butterfly-Cod) · G. wheatlandi (Black-Spotted Stickleback) · G. williamsoni (Unarmoured Threespine Stickleback)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- ... The genera of fishes. .. A contribution to the stability of scientific nomenclature. By David Starr Jordan. Stanford University, Calif., The University, 1917-1920. url p. 200.
- A bibliography of fishes, New York, American Museum of Natural History, 1916-1923. url , , , , , .
- A bibliography of fishes, by Bashford Dean. .. New York: American Museum of Natural History, 1916-1923. url p. 15, p. 15, p. 151, p. 161, p. 161, p. 383, p. 39, p. 39, p. 525, p. 525, p. 540, p. 540, p. 656, p. 692.
- A biological survey of the waters of Woods Hole and vicinity / By Francis B. Sumner, Raymond C. Osburn, and Leon J. Cole. Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1913 url p. 163, p. 164, p. 584, p. 746, p. 845.
- A biology of Crustacea. Chicago, Quadrangle Books url p. 111, p. 174.
- A catalogue of land, fresh-water, and marine crustacea found in the basin of the River Forth and its estuary. Edinburgh, The Society, 1906. url p. 190.
- A century of progress in the natural sciences, 1853-1953. San Francisco, 1955. url p. 643.
- A checklist of Canadian Atlantic fishes with keys for identification / Toronto, Royal Ontario Museum, 1965 url p. 11, p. 59, p. 98.
- A guide book to the marine fishes of Rhode Island. Photos by the author. Watch Hill, R. I., Book and Tackle Shop url p. 44.
- A guide to the natural history of the Isle of Wight: a series of contributions by specialists relating to the various branches of natural history and kindred subjects / edited by Frank Morey. Newport, Isle of Wight: The County Press, 1909. url p. 483.
- A guide to the study of fishes, New York, H. Holt, 1905. url , , .
- A guide to the study of fishes, by David Starr Jordan. .. New York, H. Holt and Company, 1905. url p. 165, p. 227, p. 231, p. 232, p. xv.
- A handbook to the vertebrate fauna of north Wales. London, Witherby & Co., 1919. url p. 91.
- A history of fishes; illus. by W. P. C. Tenison. New York, A. A. Wyn, 1949. url p. 267, p. 299, p. 303, p. 306, p. 64, p. 94.
- A list of common and scientific names of fishes from the United States and Canada. Report presented at the eighty-ninth annual meeting, Clearwater, Fla., Sept. 16-18, 1959. Ann Arbor, Mich., 1960. url p. 23.
- A list of the fishes of Pennsylvania / by Henry W. Fowler. Washington, D.C.: Biological Society of Washington, 1919 url p. 67.
- A manual of land and fresh water vertebrate animals of the United States (exclusive of birds) by Henry Sherring Pratt. .. Philadelphia, P. Blakiston's Son & Co., inc.[c1935] url p. 103.
- A manual of the vertebrate animals of the northern United States: including the district north and east of the Ozark mountains, south of the Laurentian hills, north of the southern boundary of Virginia, and east of the Missouri river, inclusive of marine species / Chicago:A. C. McClurg, 1916. url .
- A plan for an educational exhibit of fishes. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1910. url p. 1334.
- A revision of the cestode family, Proteocephalidae, by George Roger La Rue. Urbana, University of Illinois, 1914 url p. 292, p. 39, p. 40, p. 41, p. 42, p. 44, p. 45, p. 46, p. 98.
- A survey and record of Woolwich and West Kent containing descriptions and records, brought up-to-date, of geology, botany, zoology, archaeology and industries of the district, with a brief photographic commentary, in commemoration of the 12th Ann General editors, C.H. Grinling, T.A. Ingram [and] B.C. Polkinghorne. Woolwich: Labour Representation Print. Co., 1909. url p. 257.
- Adult, Juvenile, and larval fish populations in the vicinity of the James H. Campbell Plant, 1981: with special reference to the effectiveness of wedge-wire intake screens in reducing entrainment and impringement of fish / Ann Arbor, Mich.: Great Lakes Research Division, University of Michigan, 1982. url p. 376.
- Adult, juvenile and larval fish populations in the vicinity of the J.H. Campbell Power Plant, eastern Lake Michigan, 1977-1980 / Ann Arbor, Mich.: Great Lakes Research Division, University of Michigan, 1981. url p. 355.
- Adventures in radioisotope research; the collected papers of George Hevesy. New York, Pergamon Press, 1962. url p. 214.
- An annotated catalogue of the fishes of Maine. Portland, Me., 1914. url p. 129, p. 133, p. 150, p. 159, p. 162, p. 169, p. 171, p. 175, p. 43.
- An ecological characterization of Coastal Maine (north and east of Cape Elizabeth) / Stewart I. Fefer and Patricia S. Schettig: principal investigators. Newton Corner, Mass.: Department of the Interior, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Northeast Region, 1980. url , , , .
- Analysis of development, edited by Benjamin H. Willier, Paul A. Weiss [and] Viktor Hamburger. Philadelphia, Saunders, 1955. url p. 210.
- Animal Ecology. Englewood Cliffs, N.J., Prentice-Hall, 1961. url p. 465.
- Annual report of the New Jersey State Museum, 1911: including a list of the specimens and publications received during the year, with a report of the crustacea of New Jersey. Trenton, N.J.: MacCrellish & Quigley, 1912. url p. 328.
- Bathymetrical survey of the Scottish fresh-water lochs, conducted under the direction of Sir John Murray. .. and Laurence Pullar. .. during the years 1897 to 1909. Report on the scientific results. Edinburgh, Challenger Office, 1910. url p. 33.
- Biology of the seas of the U.S.S.R. Translated by S. Botcharskaya. New York, Interscience Publishers url p. 311, p. 427, p. 914.
- Biosphere Reserves, Compilation 4, October 1986: programme on man and the biosphere (MAB) IUCN Conservation Monitoring Centre url p. 438, p. 586.
- Bulletin of the Biological Society of Washington. Washington, D.C.: The Society, 1918- url p. 118, p. 120, p. 255.
- Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History). London: BM(NH) url p. 109, p. 12, p. 16, p. 166, p. 198, p. 245, p. 250, p. 251, p. 252, p. 60, p. 90, p. 91.
- Bulletin of the Southern California Academy of Sciences Los Angeles, Calif.: The Academy, 1971- url p. 100, p. 102, p. 115, p. 120, p. 124, p. 126, p. 127, p. 127, p. 130, p. 146, p. 156, p. 157, p. 163, p. 164, p. 93, p. 94, p. 95, p. 99.
- California fish and game. [San Francisco, etc.]: State of California, Resources Agency, Dept. of Fish and Game. url p. 106, p. 125, p. 131, p. 145, p. 167, p. 169, p. 173, p. 179, p. 198, p. 202, p. 214, p. 227, p. 239, p. 241, p. 253, p. 255, p. 255, p. 30, p. 316, p. 319, p. 323, p. 334, p. 387, p. 440, p. 456, p. 53, p. 60, p. 61, p. 97.
- Camallanata of animals and man and diseases caused by them = Kamallanaty zhivotnykh i cheloveka i vyzyvaemye ime zabolevaniya / V. M. Ivashkin, A. A. Sobolev, and L. A. Khromova; translated from Russian [by Hilary Hardin]. Jerusalem: Israel Program for Scientific Translations, 1977. url p. 28.
- Canadian fisheries expedition, 1914-1915; Investigations in the Gulf of St. Lawrence and Atlantic waters of Canada, under the direction of Dr. Johan Hjort. .. Ottawa, J. de Labroquerie Tache, 1919. url p. 30.
- Carotenoids, by Paul Karrer and Ernst Jucker. Translated and rev. by Ernest A. Braude. New York, Elsevier Pub. Co., 1950. url p. 368, p. 97.
- Carotenoids, their comparative biochemistry. New York, Chemical Pub. Co., 1954. url p. 332.
- Catalogue of Canadian fossil fishes / [Toronto]: Royal Ontario Museum, c1966. url p. 148, p. 83.
- Catalogue of scientific papers (1800-1900) Comp. by the Royal society of London. Cambridge, C. J. Clay and sons, 1867-1902; url p. 1021, p. 156, p. 214, p. 735.
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. Compiled by the Royal Society of London. London, C.J. Clay and Sons, 1867-1902 [etc.] Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1914-25. url p. 1021, p. 735.
- Catalogue of the fishes in the British Museum / by Albert Gu?nther. .. [Tokyo?]: Kagaku Kisho Hakkokai, Sho?wa 13 . url p. 2, p. 4, p. 500.
- Ciba Foundation colloquia on ageing. Editors for the Ciba Foundation: G.E.W. Wolstenholme and Margaret P. Cameron, assisted by Joan Etherington. Boston, Little, Brown, 1955- url p. 168, p. 200, p. 202, p. 26, p. 31.
- Commercial fisheries review. [Washington]: National Marine Fisheries Service; [for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off.] url p. 11, p. 13, p. 15, p. 16, p. 22, p. 7.
- Comparative embryology of the vertebrates; with 2057 drawings and photos. grouped as 380 illus. New York, Blakiston url p. 22, p. 26, p. 46, p. 49, p. 977.
- Comparative studies in the psychology of ants and of higher animals / by Eric Wasmann. Freiburg (Baden): B. Herder, 1905. url p. 148.
- Current bibliography for aquatic sciences and fisheries. London, Taylor & Francis ltd. url p. 109, p. 116, p. 143, p. 154, p. 165, p. 191, p. 192, p. 200, p. 225, p. 228, p. 232, p. 239, p. 255, p. 257, p. 259, p. 263, p. 279, p. 306, p. 337, p. 45, p. 512, p. 525, p. 537, p. 540, p. 597, p. 610, p. 616, p. 650, p. 650, p. 652, p. 69, p. 73, p. 732, p. 91, p. 959.
- Dean bibliography of fishes. New York: American Museum of Natural History, 1971-1973. url p. 117, p. 123, p. 169, p. 173, p. 174, p. 178, p. 184, p. 201, p. 203, p. 206, p. 207, p. 207, p. 221, p. 223, p. 224, p. 227, p. 229, p. 231, p. 232, p. 233, p. 234, p. 24, p. 240, p. 243, p. 249, p. 250, p. 252, p. 253, p. 254, p. 259, p. 262, p. 263, p. 269, p. 270, p. 271, p. 273, p. 274, p. 275, p. 276, p. 278, p. 279, p. 280, p. 281, p. 283, p. 284, p. 285, p. 290, p. 291, p. 292, p. 295, p. 3, p. 30, p. 301, p. 303, p. 305, p. 306, p. 307, p. 309, p. 311, p. 312, p. 313, p. 314, p. 320, p. 323, p. 326, p. 329, p. 337, p. 37, p. 38, p. 413, p. 423, p. 425, p. 426, p. 43, p. 442, p. 449, p. 457, p. 458, p. 460, p. 461, p. 466, p. 468, p. 471, p. 479, p. 489, p. 49, p. 493, p. 495, p. 497, p. 497, p. 503, p. 505, p. 506, p. 510, p. 511, p. 515, p. 517, p. 518, p. 522, p. 527, p. 529, p. 544, p. 550, p. 556, p. 558, p. 559, p. 567, p. 578, p. 581, p. 582, p. 586, p. 587, p. 588, p. 599, p. 602, p. 603, p. 605, p. 607, p. 608, p. 609, p. 612, p. 617, p. 619, p. 620, p. 623, p. 625, p. 626, p. 627, p. 630, p. 631, p. 632, p. 638, p. 639, p. 642, p. 643, p. 653, p. 656, p. 663, p. 666, p. 670, p. 673, p. 679, p. 680, p. 681, p. 682, p. 683, p. 685, p. 691, p. 692, p. 693, p. 695, p. 696, p. 697, p. 698, p. 7, p. 702, p. 704, p. 707, p. 715, p. 719, p. 73, p. 735, p. 743, p. 745, p. 79, p. 9.
- Directory of Wetlands of International Importance. IUCN url p. 114, p. 767.
- Distribution and abundance of fishes and invertebrates in North Atlantic estuaries. Silver Spring, Md.: U.S. Dept. of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, National Ocean Service, 1994- url p. 113, p. 157, p. 202, p. 221, p. 4, p. 51, p. 82, p. 83, p. 85, p. 86, p. 87.
- Elkhorn Slough Estuarine Sanctuary: proposed estuarine sanctuary grant award for Elkhorn Slough, Monterey County, California / Washington: U.S. Govt. Print. Off., 1979? url .
- Endocrinology. Los Angeles, Calif.: Association for the Study of Internal Secretions, url p. 478.
- Energy and environmental stress in aquatic systems: selected papers from a symposium held at Augusta, Georgia, November 2-4, 1977 / sponsored by Savannah River Ecology Laboratory, Institute of Ecology, University of Georgia, Assistant Secretary for Environment, U.S. Department of Energy, Savannah River National Environmental Resea [Washington]: Technical Information Center, U.S. Dept. of Energy; 1978. url p. 738.
- Enzyme and metabolic inhibitors. New York, Academic Press, 1963- url p. 1165, p. 963.
- FWS/0BS. [Washington]Fish and Wildlife Service, U.S. Dept. of the Interior. url , p. 23, p. 25, p. 440.
- Fauna of New England, 8. List of the pisces, by William C. Kendall. Boston, Printed for the [Boston] Society [of Natural History] from the G. Saltonstall Fund, 1908. url , p. 61.
- Fertilization in fishes and the problem of polyspermy = Oplodotvorenie u ryb i problema polispermii / by A.S. Ginzburg; edited by T.A. Detlaf. Jerusalem: Israel Program for Scientific Translations, 1972. url p. 357, p. 359, p. 65, p. 89, p. 9.
- Fish skulls; a study of the evolution of natural mechanisms. Laurel, Fla., E. Lundberg, 1959. url p. 224.
- Fishery Board for Scotland. Scientific investigations. Edinburgh [etc.]H.M. Stationery Off. url p. 504, p. 534.
- Fishery bulletin / U.S. Dept. of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, National Marine Fisheries Service. Washington, D.C.: The Service: url , , , , , , , p. 1006, p. 1009, p. 105, p. 106, p. 1062, p. 110, p. 1151, p. 131, p. 180, p. 201, p. 278, p. 339, p. 366, p. 373, p. 401, p. 427, p. 442, p. 458, p. 466, p. 480, p. 501, p. 507, p. 588, p. 605, p. 606, p. 609, p. 613, p. 647, p. 667, p. 668, p. 709, p. 747, p. 815, p. 819, p. 88, p. 899, p. 927.
- Fishery bulletin. United States Fish and Wildlife Service. Washington, The Service, U.S. Govt Print. Off. url , , , p. 308, p. 310, p. 537, p. 539, p. 540, p. 541, p. 543, p. 544, p. 547, p. 556, p. 559, p. 572, p. 578, p. 649, p. 650.
- Fishery circular / U.S. Department of Commerce, Bureau of Fisheries. [Washington]: The Bureau, 1931-1939. url p. 147, p. 21, p. 410.
- Fishery leaflet / United States Department of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service. Washington, D.C.: The Service, url p. 9.
- Fishes and their ways of life, by Louis Roule. .. translated from the French by Conrad Elphinstone. New York, W.W. Norton & company, inc.[c1935] url p. 301.
- Fishes occurring in the fresh waters of insular Newfoundland / Ottawa: Canada Dept. of Fisheries, 1964. url p. 102, p. 103, p. 12, p. 120, p. 121, p. 123, p. 124, p. 87, p. 88, p. 92, p. 94, p. 96.
- Fishes of Canada's national capital region = Poissons de la région de la capitale du Canada / Ottawa: Dept. of the Environment, Fisheries and Marine Service, 1974. url p. 14, p. 178, p. 196.
- Fishes of Maine / W. Harry Everhart. Augusta, Me.: Maine Dept. of Inland Fisheries and Game, 1958. url p. 91.
- Fishes of Maine. Augusta, Maine Dept. of Inland Fisheries and Game, 1950. url p. 51, p. 52.
- Fishes of northern Ontario, north of the Albany River / Toronto: Royal Ontario Museum, c1964 url p. 22, p. 7.
- Fishes of the Gulf of Maine, by Henry B. Bigelow and William C. Schroeder. Washington, United States Government Printing Office, 1953. url , p. 308, p. 310, p. 572.
- Fishes of the Gulf of Maine. By Henry B. Bigelow. .. and William W. Welsh. .. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1925. url p. 168, p. 558.
- Fishes, New York, H. Holt and Company, 1907. url , .
- Fishing at home & abroad, ed. by the Rt. Hon. Sir Herbert Maxwell, bart.. .. London, The London & Counties Press Association ltd., 1913. url p. 360.
- Fleas, flukes & cuckoos; a study of bird parasites, by Miriam Rothschild and Theresa Clay. New York, Macmillan, 1957. url p. 195.
- Gas bubble disease: proceedings of a workshop held at Richland, Washington, October 8-9, 1974: cosponsored by Battelle, Pacific Northwest Laboratories, and U.S. Atomic Energy Commission / editors, D. H. Fickeisen and M. J. Schneider. Oak Ridge, Tenn.: Technical Information Center, Office of Public Affairs, Energy Research and Development Administration, 1976. url p. 31.
- General embryological information service. Utrecht, Hubrecht Laboratory. url p. 41, p. 44, p. 52, p. 66, p. 72, p. 76, p. 82, p. 95.
- Great Basin naturalist memoirs. 1979 [Provo, Utah]Brigham Young University, 1976-1992. url p. 61.
- Guide to marine fishes; [a new method for identification of marine fishes. New York]New York University Press url p. 278, p. 337, p. 426.
- Handbook of physiology; a critical, comprehensive presentation of physiological knowledge and concepts. Washington, American Physiological Society, 1959- url p. 1641.
- Handbook of protozoology, by Richard Roksabro Kudo...with one hundred and seventy-five illustrations. Springfield, Ill., C.C. Thomas, 1931. url p. 319.
- Handbuch der Biologie der Wirbeltiere. Von Dr. M. Hilzheimer. unter Mitwirkung von Dr. Phil. O. Haempel. mikt 599 Textabbildungen. vii, 756 p.illus (part col.)26 cm. url p. 16, p. 69.
- Illinois biological monographs. Urbana, Univ. of Illinois Press. url p. 100, p. 161, p. 169, p. 238, p. 292, p. 296, p. 297, p. 39, p. 40, p. 41, p. 42, p. 44, p. 45, p. 46, p. 73, p. 98.
- Impact of bleached kraft mill effluent (BKME) on fish populations near Terrace Bay, Ontario / prepared for Environment Ontario by M.E. McMaster. [Toronto]: Environment Ontario, . url p. 14, p. 18.
- Journal of ethnobiology. 15 1995 Flagstaff, Ariz.: Center for Western Studies, 1981- url p. 44.
- Keys to the fishes of Washington, Oregon and closely adjoining regions, by Leonard P. Schultz. Seattle, Wash., University of Washington Press, 1936. url p. 225.
- Lectures on biology, by Dr. Curt Thesing, tr. from the 2d ed. by W. R. Boelter with the original coloured and other illustrations. London, J. Bale, sons & Danielsson, ltd., 1911. url p. 276.
- Life by the seashore: an introduction to natural history / by Marion Newbigin London: Swan Sonnenschein, 1910 url p. 341.
- Mammals of the Soviet Union / V.G. Heptner, A.A. Nasimovich, and A.G. Bannikov; scientific editor, Robert S. Hoffmann. Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Libraries and National Science Foundation, 1988- url p. 112.
- Marine and estuarine environments, organisms, and geology of the Cape Cod region; an indexed bibliography, 1665-1965 [by] Anne E. Yentsch [and others. Woods Hole, Mass., Systematics Ecology Program, Marine Biological Laboratory[c1966] url p. 107.
- Monitoring the marine environment of Long Island Sound at Millstone Nuclear Power Station, Waterford, Connecticut: three operational studies, 1986-1987 / [prepared by the Environmental Laboratory staff of Northeast Utilities Service Company]. Waterford, Connecticut: Northeast Utilities,  url p. 265, p. 297, p. 307.
- Monogenetic trematodes: their systematics and phylogeny / by Boris E. Bychowsky; edited by William J. Hargis, Jr.; translated by Pierre C. Oustinoff. Washington, D.C.: American Institute of Biological Sciences, c1961. url p. 624.
- Morphology and development of the postcranial skeleton in the channel catfish Ictalurus punctatus (Ostariophysi: Siluriformes) / Terry Grande, Judith D. Shardo. 99 2002 [Chicago, Ill.]: Field Museum of Natural History, c2002. url p. 30.
- NOAA technical report NMFS SSRF. Seattle, Wash.: National Marine Fisheries Service; url p. 2, p. 25, p. 52.
- Name that animal; a guide to the identification of the common land and fresh-water animals of the United States, with special reference to the area east of the Rockies. With drawings by Olive Driver. Northampton? Mass., 1950 url p. 290.
- National overview and evolution of NOAA's Estuarine Living Marine Resources (ELMR) Program / David M. Nelson and Mark E. Monaco. Silver Spring. Md.: U.S. Dept. of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, National Ocean Service, National Centers for Coastal Ocean Science, Center for Coastal Monitoring and Assessment, 2000. url p. 17, p. 42.
- Naturalist's guide to the Americas, prepared by the Committee on the Preservation of Natural Conditions of the Ecological Society of America, with assistance from numerous organizations and individuals, assembled and edited by chairman, Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins, 1926. url p. 96.
- New Haven Harbor ecological studies summary report, 1970-1977 / prepared for the United Illuminating Company, New Haven, Connecticut by Normandeau Associates, inc., Bedford, New Hampshire; edited by Andrew J. McCusker, Weldon S. Bosworth. Bedford, N.H.: Normandeau, 1979. url p. 12.
- Non-native fishes inhabiting the streams and lakes of Illinois / Champaign, Ill.: Illinois Natural History Survey,  url , p. 34, p. 44, p. 45, p. 46.
- North American pseudophyllidean cestodes from fishes. [UrbanaUniversity of Illinois][c1919] url p. 264.
- Official lists and indexes of names and works in zoology / edited by R.V. Melville and J.D.D. Smith. London: ICZN, 1987. url p. 96.
- Opinions and declarations rendered by the International Commission on Zoological Nomenclature. London, Printed by order of the International Trust for Zoological Nomenclature. url p. 257, p. 370, p. 396.
- Optimality, constraints, and hierarchies in the analysis of foraging strategies / 1983. url .
- Papers from the Tortugas Laboratory of the Carnegie Institution of Washington. Washington, D.C.: Carnegie Institution of Washington, 1908-42. url p. 47, p. 51.
- Photoperiodism and related phenomena in plants and animals; proceedings, edited by Robert B. Withrow, with the cooperation of Arthur C. Giese [and others]. Washington, 1959. url p. 651, p. 665, p. 666.
- Phytologia. Bronx Park, New York, H.A. Gleason and H.N. Moldenke, url p. 14.
- Principles of animal biology / New York: McGraw-Hill, 1920. url p. 423.
- Proceedings of the California Academy of Sciences, 4th series. San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences. url p. 210, p. 294, p. 427, p. 488, p. 99.
- Proceedings of the National Shellfisheries Association. Plymouth, Mass., Published for the National Shellfisheries Association by MPG Communications. url p. 48.
- Proceedings of the eighth Pacific Science Congress of the Pacific Science Association: held at the University of the Philippines, Diliman, Quezon City, 16th to 28th November 1953 / under the auspices of the National Research Council of the Philippines and the Republic of the Philippines. Quezon City: National Research Council of the Philippines, University of the Philippines, 1955. url p. 509, p. 510.
- Proposed estuarine sanctuary grant award to the state of New York for a Hudson River estuarine sanctuary. Albany, N.Y.: New York, Dept. of Environmental Conservation,  url p. 115.
- Protozoology, by Richard R. Kudo. .. With three hundred and thirty-six illustrations. Springfield, Ill., C.C. Thomas, 1946. url p. 537.
- Protozoology. Springfield, Ill., C. C. Thomas url p. 672, p. 673.
- Publications in zoology = Publications en zoologie. Ottawa: National Museums of Canada, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1970-1982. url p. 12, p. 73.
- Report of the Second Norwegian Arctic expedition in the "Fram" 1898-1902. .. Kristiania, In commission by T. O. Brøgger, 1907-1919. url .
- Report of the United States Commissioner of Fisheries for the fiscal year. .. with appendixes Washington: G.P.O., 1914- url p. 237.
- Report of the second Norwegian Arctic Expedition in the "Fram", 1898-1902. Published by Videnskabs-selskabet i Kristiania, at the expense of the Fridjof Nansen Fund for the Advancement of Science. KristianiaT.O. Brøgger1907-19 url .
- Science progress. London: John Murray, 1916- url p. 577.
- Scientific Japan, past and present, prepared [by the National Research Council of Japan] in connection with the third Pan-Pacific Science Congress, Tokyo, 1926. Kyoto[1926?] url p. 109.
- Sea-water systems for experimental aquariums, a collection of papers. Washington, U. S. Bureau of Sport Fisheries and Wildlife;1964 url p. 100.
- Sex and internal secretions. Contributors: A. Albert [and others] Foreword by George W. Corner. Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins, 1961. url p. 1072.
- Sexual endocrinology of non-mammalian vertebrates, by L. H. Bretschneider and J. J. Duyvené de Wit in collaboration with S. Dudok de Wit [and others] New York, Elsevier Pub. Co., 1947. url p. 94.
- Some North American fish trematodes, Urbana, Ill., c1926 url p. 136.
- Some considerations on the distribution of fishes in Ontario. [Toronto]: Printed by the University of Toronto Press, 1944. url p. 114, p. 99.
- Some fresh-water fishes of British Columbia / [Toronto: Royal Ontario Museum of Zoology], 1936. url p. 70.
- South African journal of science. [Marshalltown, Transvaal: South African Association for the Advancement of Science, url p. 70.
- Special scientific report--wildlife / U.S. Department of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service. Washington, D.C.: The Service, 1949- url p. 153, p. 23, p. 29, p. 325, p. 361, p. 363, p. 370, p. 45, p. 49, p. 657, p. 665.
- Special scientific report. Seattle, National Marine Fisheries Service; for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off., 1949-1971. url , , p. 12, p. 19, p. 19, p. 239, p. 3, p. 30, p. 4, p. 5, p. 6, p. 7.
- Spixiana. München: Zoologische Staatssammlung München, 1977- url p. 275, p. 83.
- Studies of estuarine dependence of Atlantic coastal fishes, by John Clark [and others] Washington, U.S. Bureau of Sport Fisheries and Wildlife; [for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off.]1969. url p. 49.
- Studies on Myxosporidia; a synopsis of genera and species of Myxosporidia; with 25 plates and 2 textfigures, by Rokusaburo Kudo. .. Urbana, Ill., University of Illinois, c1920 url p. 100, p. 161, p. 169, p. 169.
- Syllogeus. Ottawa, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1972-1995. url p. 10, p. 101, p. 102, p. 105, p. 106, p. 107, p. 108, p. 109, p. 111, p. 112, p. 114, p. 115, p. 116, p. 117, p. 118, p. 119, p. 12, p. 120, p. 121, p. 124, p. 125, p. 132, p. 134, p. 135, p. 136, p. 137, p. 138, p. 14, p. 140, p. 141, p. 142, p. 15, p. 16, p. 165, p. 17, p. 177, p. 179, p. 18, p. 18, p. 181, p. 189, p. 19, p. 20, p. 21, p. 23, p. 23, p. 24, p. 26, p. 27, p. 28, p. 29, p. 31, p. 32, p. 33, p. 34, p. 36, p. 37, p. 38, p. 39, p. 41, p. 42, p. 43, p. 46, p. 48, p. 49, p. 5, p. 52, p. 55, p. 56, p. 57, p. 58, p. 59, p. 6, p. 60, p. 61, p. 63, p. 64, p. 69, p. 7, p. 70, p. 71, p. 72, p. 73, p. 77, p. 79, p. 8, p. 81, p. 82, p. 87, p. 88, p. 89, p. 9, p. 90, p. 92, p. 93, p. 94, p. 99.
- System of ophthalmology. St. Louis, Mosby, 1958- url p. 803, p. 84.
- The American natural history: a foundation of useful knowledge of the higher animals of North America / William T. Hornaday. .. illustrated by 225 original drawings. .. 151 photographs. .. and with numerous charts and maps. New York: C. Scribner's sons, 1914. url p. 336.
- The American natural history; a foundation of useful knowledge of the higher animals of North America, New York, C. Scribner's Sons, 1914. url .
- The British nature book; a complete handbook and guide to British nature study, embracing the mammals, birds, reptiles, fish, insects, plants, etc., in the United Kingdom, by S.N. Sedgwick. .. Edinburgh, T.C. & E.C. Jack, Ltd., 1922. url p. 154.
- The British parasitic Copepoda / by Thomas Scott and Andrew Scott. London: Printed for the Ray society, 1913. url p. 231, p. 43.
- The British parasitic Copepoda, by Thomas Scott and Andrew Scott London, Printed for the Ray society, 1913 url p. 231.
- The Cambridge natural history / edited by Sir S.F. Harmer and Sir A.E. Shipley. London: Macmillan, 1922-27 url p. 183, p. 84.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url , lindsay , , , green , munro & clemens , legendre & lagueux , , , , , , p. 107, p. 107, p. 11, p. 113, p. 115, p. 118, p. 120, p. 120, p. 122, p. 122, p. 125, p. 126, p. 141, p. 156, p. 157, p. 164, p. 173, p. 174, p. 175, p. 177, p. 189, p. 211, p. 213, p. 213, p. 214, p. 216, p. 216, p. 219, p. 22, p. 220, p. 223, p. 231, p. 232, p. 240, p. 264, p. 264, p. 265, p. 267, p. 269, p. 275, p. 276, p. 277, p. 278, p. 289, p. 290, p. 304, p. 334, p. 335, p. 336, p. 339, p. 359, p. 36, p. 360, p. 360, p. 360, p. 388, p. 393, p. 398, p. 400, p. 402, p. 411, p. 414, p. 415, p. 419, p. 422, p. 428, p. 45, p. 46, p. 471, p. 473, p. 480, p. 484, p. 486, p. 491, p. 493, p. 50, p. 502, p. 506, p. 516, p. 523, p. 523, p. 527, p. 531, p. 539, p. 540, p. 540, p. 541, p. 555, p. 556, p. 56, p. 56, p. 563, p. 572, p. 573, p. 582, p. 583, p. 584, p. 589, p. 590, p. 591, p. 595, p. 596, p. 62, p. 64, p. 662, p. 663, p. 680, p. 684, p. 695, p. 726, p. 726, p. 731, p. 736, p. 742, p. 83, p. 86.
- The Glasgow naturalist. Glasgow, Andersonian Naturalists of Glasgow. url p. 115.
- The Great Basin naturalist. 29 1969 Provo, Utah: M.L. Bean Life Science Museum, Brigham Young University, 1939-1999. url p. 177, p. 426, p. 546.
- The Pleistocene of North America and its vertebrated animals form the states east of the Mississippi River and form the Canadian provinces east of longitude 95. WashingtonCarnegie Institution of Washington1923 url p. 287, p. 485.
- The Pliocene floras of the Dutch-Prussian border, 's-Gravenhage, M. Nijhoff, 1915. url .
- The Review of applied entomology. Farnham Royal, Eng. [etc.]: Commonwealth Agricultural Bureaux [etc.] url p. 247.
- The Trematoda of British fishes. London, Sold by B. Quaritch, 1947. url p. 343, p. 355.
- The Victoria history of the county of Suffolk / edited by William Page. Folkestone [Kent]: Dawson for the University of London, Institute of Historical Research, 1907-1975. url p. 168.
- The birds of New Jersey / by Witmer Stone. Trenton: J.L. Murphy Pub. Co., 1909. url p. 375, p. 424.
- The changing Illinois environment: critical trends: technical report of the Critical Trends Assessment Project. Springfield, Ill.: Ill. Dept. of Energy and Natural Resources, 1994. url p. 194.
- The fresh-water fishes of China / by John Treadwell Nichols; with 143 figures in the text, 10 colored plates, and 1 map. 1943 New York: American Museum of Natural History, 1943. url p. 12, p. 304.
- The freshwater fishes of New Brunswick: a checklist with distributional notes / Toronto: Royal Ontario Museum, 1959. url p. 28.
- The genera of fishes. ..: A contribution to the stability of scientific nomenclature / By David Starr Jordan. Stanford University, Calif.: The University, 1917-1920. url p. 200.
- The internal secretions of the sex glands; the problem of the "puberty gland". By Alexander Lipschütz. .. With a preface by F. H. Marshall. .. with over 140 illustrations in the text. Cambridge, Heffer;1924. url p. 187, p. 504.
- The naturalisation of animals & plants in New Zealand, Cambridge [Eng.]University Press, 1922. url .
- The physiology and pharmacology of the pituitary body / by H.B. Van Dyke. Chicago, Ill.: The University of Chicago Press, -1939. url p. 390.
- The species problem; a symposium presented at the Atlanta meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, December 28-29, 1955. Edited by Ernst Mayr. Washington, 1957. url p. 351, p. 366.
- The structure and development of Corallobothrium, with descriptions of two new fish tapeworms; Urbana, Ill., c1928 url p. 33.
- The vertebrate eye and its adaptive radiation [by] Gordon Lynn Walls. Bloomfield Hills, Mich., Cranbrook Institute of Science, 1942 url p. 363, p. 483, p. 487, p. 488.
- The vertebrate fauna of Cheshire and Liverpool Bay / London: Witherby, 1910. url p. 207, p. 210.
- Threatened non-marine molluscs of Europe Council of Europe url p. 121, p. 123.
- Threatened wildlife of the United States. Washington, Bureau of Sport Fisheries and Wildlife [for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off.]1973. url p. 53.
- Timber management: a programmatic environmental analysis record for BLM-administered lands in western Oregon / Office, 1974 url p. 57.
- Toxicity testing with fish, zooplankton and mussels: a comparison of sensitivities / by Anne E. Keller. 1989. url .
- Transactions of the Kentucky Academy of Science. [Lexington, Ky.]Kentucky Academy of Science, 1923-1997. url p. 35.
- Trematodes of the Pacific Northwest, an annotated catalog [by] Ivan Pratt [and] James E. McCauley. Corvallis, Oregon State University Press url p. 14, p. 24, p. 26, p. 31, p. 34, p. 66, p. 8.
- Tulane studies in zoology and botany. 23 New Orleans: Tulane University, [1968- url .
- University of Kansas publications, Museum of Natural History. 17 Lawrence, University of Kansas. url p. 641.
- Value of mussel beds to sport fisheries, Project F-80-R: final report / Philip B. Moy and Richard E. Sparks. Havana, Ill.: Illinois Natural History Survey, Center for Aquatic Ecology,  url p. 7.
- Vertebrata craniata (First fascile: cyclostomes and fishes). London: Adam and Charles Black, 1909. url p. 412.
- Vertebrate reproductive cycles. London, Methuen; url p. 110.
- Vertebrate zoo?logy, New York, Macmillan, 1920. url .
- Vertebrate zoölogy, by Horatio Hackett Newman New York, The Macmillan company, 1920 url p. 144, p. 423.
- Washington State Coastal Zone Management Program amendment no. 3: approval of the Grays Harbor estuary management plan: program draft environmental impact statement. [Olympia, Wash.?]: Grays Harbor Regional Planning Commission; 1983. url p. 18.
- Zoologische Jahrbücher. Jena [Germany]: G. Fischer, 1910-1993. url p. 101, p. 103, p. 105, p. 107, p. 109, p. 111, p. 113, p. 115, p. 119, p. 123, p. 124, p. 125, p. 127, p. 133, p. 135, p. 137, p. 139, p. 141, p. 143, p. 145, p. 147, p. 148, p. 83, p. 88, p. 91, p. 93, p. 97.
- [A biological survey of the waters of Woods Hole and vicinity. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1913] url p. 163, p. 164.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 14, 2012.
- Hammerson, G., Freyhof, J., Kottelat, M. & Lukey, J.R. 2010. Gasterosteus aculeatus. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloadedon 01February2012.
- IUCN 2012. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. . Downloaded on January 28, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 17, 2007:
- Marine Science Institute, UCSB, Paleobiology Database
- Museum of Comparative Zoology, Harvard University, MCZ Fish Collection
- Royal Ontario Museum, Fish specimens
- Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History, Santa Barbara Musem of Natural History
- The Danish Biodiversity Information Facility, Niv
- UK National Biodiversity Network, Biological Records Centre - Database for the Atlas of Freshwater Fishes
- UK National Biodiversity Network, Highland Biological Recording Group - HBRG Fish and Herptiles dataset
- University of Navarra, Museum of Zoology, Museum of Zoology, University of Navarra
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 154300
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: Fis-52983
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 2481042
- IUCN ID: 210727
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 1209582
- Mean = 29.070 meters (95.374 feet), Standard Deviation = 43.410 based on 122,695 observations. Altitude information for each observation from British Oceanographic Data Centre. [back]
- Hammerson, G., Freyhof, J., Kottelat, M. & Lukey, J.R. 2010. Gasterosteus aculeatus. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloaded on 01 February 2012. [back]
- Eschmeyer, W.N., Editor (1998). Catalog of fishes. Special Publication, California Academy of Sciences, San Francisco. 3 vols. 2905 p. [back]