Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Afrikaans:
Common Names in Dutch:
Common Names in English:
alae ula, American gallinule, blue peter, blue rail, chicken-foot coot, Common Gallinule, Common Moorhen, Florida gallinule, Hawaiian Common Gallinule, Mariana Common Gallinule, Moorhen, Moorken, red-billed mud-hen, sedge peter, water chicken, water hen
Common Names in French:
Poule d'eau commune, gallinule poule-d'eau, Poule d'eau
Common Names in German:
Common Names in Hebrew:
Common Names in Italian:
Common Names in Japanese:
Common Names in Russian:
Common Names in Spanish:
Gallineta Común, Gallineta frente roja, Polla de agua
Common Names in Swedish:
Adult : Head : black Face : Frontal Shield: red Bill: red with yellow tip Neck: black Body: Back: brownish olive Color: dark slate Mantle: tinged with brownish Rump : tail Sides: brownish olive with horizontal white stripe Legs : Foot Color: yellow Leg Color: yellow-green Tibia: tips vermilion Tail: black Crissum: black in center, white at sides.Immature: Head: sooty-gray Face: Frontal Shield: small or absent Bill: dusky or yellow Neck: sooty-gray Throat : white Body: Upperparts: browner than adult.Young: Face: Forehead: reddish Bill: reddish.
: Red frontal shield above bill · Red bill with a yellow
· Slate gray head
, neck, breast and belly · Brownish
back and upperwings · White stripe
along upper flanks ·
Tarsus and feet greenish yellow, tibia red
Juvenile : Small, dull red frontal shield · Dark bill with dull yellow tip · Pale gray-brown head and underparts · Whitish throat and belly · Dark gray-brown upperparts · White stripe along flanks
About 14 inches long, with a wingspan of 20 to 23 inches. Adults weigh about 12 ounces .
Brackish ponds . Occasionally in freshwater ponds.
Vegetation: freshwater marshes • Maximum Elevation: 4,000 meters • Foraging Strata: Water • Center of Abundance: Lower subtropical: lowlands, lower than 500 m.; subtropics. • Sensitivity to Disturbance: Low
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 4,622 meters (0 to 15,164 feet).
Behaviour This species is predominantly sedentary
dispersive, but makes partially or fully migratory movements in the
northern parts of its range
due to its vulnerability
conditions2. Most northern populations move south
from September to December, returning again from March to May1.
The species breeds in solitary territorial
pairs during the spring
especially during wet months (the exact timing varying geographically)1.
It remains largely solitary throughout the year although juveniles
may form diurnal
feeding groups of up to 30 individuals
in the winter, especially during hard weather2,
often congregating on sheltered lakes
The species inhabits freshwater
wetlands, both still
and moving, requiring easy access
to open water1
and showing a preference for waters sheltered by woodland, bushes
or tall emergent vegetation1, 2. Suitable habitats
include slow-flowing rivers1, 2, oxbow
, canals, ditches, lakes, reservoirs
, sites with small open
water surfaces such as pools
only a few metres
, marshes1, 2, seasonally flooded sites1
such as flood-plains2, disused gravel pits
ponds2, and occasionally mangroves
(Puerto Rico) and seashores (Azerbaijan)2.
It generally avoids very open sites (especially those exposed to
wind or wave action)1, 2 and oligotrophic
habitats (although it may be found on brackish waters)1,
2. When foraging
the species may range onto drier grassland,
or meadows, and on migration and in the winter
months it can often be observed on damp grassland away from water2.
The species is omnivorous
, its diet
consisting of earthworms, crustaceans, molluscs
, adult and larval
insects (especially flies, mayflies, caddisflies, bugs, beetles and
Lepidoptera), spiders, small fish, tadpoles
and occasionally birds
, as well as plant matter such as filamentous
algae, moss, the
parts of reeds and aquatic plants
, the seeds of reeds,
rushes, sedges, water-lilies, waterside
herbaceous vegetation, trees
) and cereal crops
, flowers of Eichhornia
spp., and the berries
and fruits of yew, Rubus, Sorbus,
Rosa, Crataegus, Rhamnus, Hedera, Sambucus,
Hippophae spp. and various orchard trees1.
Breeding site The nest
varies between a shallow saucer and
a deep cup
constructed from twigs
and waterside vegetation, and can
be floating on or positioned up to 1 m
above water in emergent vegetation
or positioned on a solid platform of branches in water. Less often
the nest is placed in ground
vegetation or in low bushes on the bank
near water, or in bushes and trees up to 8 m from the ground1.
information Early harvesting in rice-fields should
be avoided as it harms nests and young broods of this species2.
List of Habitats:
- 5 Wetlands (inland)
- 5.1 Wetlands (inland) - Permanent Rivers/Streams/Creeks (includes waterfalls )
- 5.3 Wetlands (inland) - Shrub Dominated Wetlands
- 5.4 Wetlands (inland) - Bogs , Marshes, Swamps, Fens , Peatlands
- 5.5 Wetlands (inland) - Permanent Freshwater Lakes (over 8ha)
- 5.6 Wetlands (inland) - Seasonal/Intermittent Freshwater Lakes (over 8ha)
- 5.7 Wetlands (inland) - Permanent Freshwater Marshes/Pools (under 8ha)
- 5.8 Wetlands (inland) - Seasonal/Intermittent Freshwater Marshes/Pools (under 8ha)
- 5.13 Wetlands (inland) - Permanent Inland Deltas
- 5.16 Wetlands (inland) - Permanent Saline, Brackish or Alkaline Marshes/Pools
- 13 Marine Coastal/Supratidal
- 13.4 Marine Coastal/Supratidal - Coastal Brackish/Saline Lagoons/Marine Lakes
- 13.5 Marine Coastal/Supratidal - Coastal Freshwater Lakes
- 15 Artificial/Aquatic & Marine
- 15.1 Artificial/Aquatic - Water Storage Areas (over 8ha)
- 15.2 Artificial/Aquatic - Ponds (below 8ha)
- 15.7 Artificial/Aquatic - Irrigated Land (includes irrigation channels )
- 15.9 Artificial/Aquatic - Canals and Drainage Channels, Ditches
Mostly: Plant Matter. Lesser Quantities of: Aquatic Invertebrates .
- Breeding Habitat : Wetland-open water
- Clutch Size: 5-17
- Length of Incubation : 19-22 days
- Days to Fledge : 40-50+
- Number of Broods: occasionally 2, rarely 3
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Bateson, 1885
- Cuvier, 1812
- Jawed Vertebrates
- Goodrich, 1930
- Linnaeus, 1758
- Gauthier, 1986
- (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Pycraft, 1900
- Superorder: Charadriimorphae () - Huxley, 1867
- Cohort: Neognathae () - Pycraft, 1900
- Infraclass: Aves () - (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Subclass: Avialae () - Gauthier, 1986
- Class: Aves () - Linnaeus, 1758
- Superclass: Tetrapoda () - Goodrich, 1930
- Infraphylum: Gnathostomata () - auct. - Jawed Vertebrates
- Subphylum: Vertebrata () - Cuvier, 1812 - Vertebrates
- Phylum: Chordata () - Bateson, 1885 - Chordates
- Infrakingdom: Chordonia () - (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Deuterostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Gallinula chloropus (Linnaeus, 1758)
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 28-Nov-2006
Members of the genus Gallinula
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 20 species and subspecies in this genus:
G. alleni (Allen's Gallinule) · G. angulata (Lesser Moorhen) · G. chloropus (Hawaiian Common Gallinule) · G. chloropus cachinnans (Common Moorhen) · G. chloropus chloropus (Common Moorhen) · G. chloropus guami (Common Moorhen) · G. chloropus sandvicensis (Common Moorhen) · G. comeri (Gough Moorhen) · G. flavirostris (Azure Gallinule) · G. martinica (American Purple Gallinule) · G. melanops (Spot-Flanked Gallinule) · G. melanops melanops (Spot-Flanked Gallinule) · G. mortierii (Tasmanian Native Hen) · G. nesiotis (Gough Moorhen) · G. nesiotis nesiotis (Gough Islands Coot) · G. pacifica (Samoan Wood Rail) · G. silvestris (San Cristobal Mountain Rail) · G. tenebrosa (Dusky Moorhen) · G. tenebrosa tenebrosa (Dusky Moorhen) · G. ventralis (Black-Tailed Native Hen)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- , 274 p.port.22 cm. url p. 209, p. 261.
- A Directory of Neotropical Wetlands. IUCN Conservation Monitoring Centre url p. 101, p. 102, p. 151, p. 170, p. 178, p. 180, p. 216, p. 217, p. 218, p. 220, p. 224, p. 227, p. 229, p. 231, p. 233, p. 260, p. 265, p. 286, p. 332, p. 341, p. 343, p. 346, p. 42, p. 449, p. 452, p. 455, p. 457, p. 459, p. 460, p. 473, p. 475, p. 479, p. 480, p. 481, p. 491, p. 503, p. 505, p. 506, p. 510, p. 515, p. 516, p. 517, p. 518, p. 519, p. 520, p. 524, p. 531, p. 538, p. 539, p. 541, p. 548, p. 557, p. 567, p. 569, p. 577, p. 589, p. 591, p. 593, p. 594, p. 595, p. 602, p. 679, p. 94, p. 95, p. 96, p. 99.
- A List of British birds / London: British Ornithologists' Union, 1915. url .
- A List of British birds / London: John Van Voorst, 1883. url , , .
- A bibliography of Protozoa, sponges, Coelenterata, and worms, including also the Polyzoa, Brachiopoda and Tunicata, for the years 1861-1883 / edited for the syndics of the University Press. CambridgeUniversity Press1885 url p. 178.
- A book of birds. 1908 London, Sidney Appleton, 1908. url p. 142, p. 154.
- A catalogue of the collection of birds formed by the late Hugh Edwin Strickland. Cambridge, Univ. Press, 1882. url p. 585.
- A check list of North American birds. Salem, Mass., F.W. Putnam, 1879. url p. 137.
- A check list of North-American birds by Elliott Coues. Salem, Mass.: F.W. Putnam, 1879. url .
- A dictionary of birds, by Alfred Newton, assisted by Hans Gadow, with contributions from Richard Lydekker. .. Charles S. Roy. .. and Robert W. Shufeldt. .. London, A. and C. Black, 1893-1896. url p. 589.
- A faunal investigation of Prince Edward County, Ontario / Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 1941. url p. 48.
- A floral and faunal inventory of the Réserve Naturelle Intégrale d'Andohahela, Madagascar: with reference to elevational variation / Steven M. Goodman, editor. 94 1999 [Chicago, Ill.]: Field Museum of Natural History, c1999. url p. 292.
- A glossary of popular, local and old-fashioned names, of British birds; London: H. Sotheran & Co., 1902. url p. 14, p. 22, p. 76.
- A guide to the natural history of the Isle of Wight: a series of contributions by specialists relating to the various branches of natural history and kindred subjects / edited by Frank Morey. Newport, Isle of Wight: The County Press, 1909. url p. 520.
- A hand-book to the birds of Great Britain / by R. Bowdler Sharpe. London: E. Lloyd, 1896-1897. url p. 234, p. 235.
- A hand-list of British birds, with an account of the distribution of each species in the British Isles and abroad. By Ernst Hartert, F. C. R. Jourdain, N. F. Ticehurst and H. F. Withersby. London, Witherby, 1912. url p. 214.
- A handbook of British birds, showing the distribution of the resident and migratory species in the British islands, with an index to the records of the rarer visitants, by J.E. Harting. .. London, J.C. Nimmo, 1901. url p. 225, p. 505.
- A handbook of European birds for the use of field naturalists and collectors. By James Backhouse. London, Gurney and Jackson, 1890. url p. 237, p. 322.
- A handbook of the vertebrate fauna of Yorkshire: being a catalogue of British mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians, and fishes / by Wm. Eagle Clarke, and Wm. Denison Roebuck. London: Reeve, 1881. url p. 64, p. 64.
- A handbook to the birds of British Bermah, including those found in the adjoining state of Karennee, by Eugene W. Oates. .. London, R.H. Porter, 1883. url , , .
- A history of British birds, London, Pub. for the author by R. H. Porter [etc.]1883-85. url , .
- A history of British birds, with coloured illustrations of their eggs. By Henry Seebohm. .. London, Pub. for the author by R.H. Porter [etc.]1883-85. url , p. 557.
- A history of birds / London: Methuen & Co.,  url , .
- A history of birds, by W. P. Pycraft, with an introd. by Ray Lankester. London, Methuen and Co. url p. 322, p. 445.
- A history of the birds of Ceylon / London: Published by the author, 1880 [i.e. 1878-1880] url p. 1218, p. 782, p. 790.
- A key to the birds of the lower Yangtse Valley, with popular descriptions of the species commonly seen. By N. Gist Gee. .. and Lacy I. Moffett. Shanghai, Shanghai Mercury Limited, Print., 1917. url .
- A list of British birds / compiled by a committee of the British Ornithologists' Union. London: J. van Voorst, 1883. url , p. 151, p. 216.
- A list of British birds belonging to the Humber district: having a special reference to their migrations / by John Cordeaux. London [England]: R. H. Porter, 1899. url p. 28.
- A list of British birds, comp. by a committee of the British ornithologists' union. London: British ornithologists' union, 1915. url p. 305, p. 400.
- A list of European birds, including all those found in the western palaearctic area, with a supplement containing species said to have occurred, but which, for various reasons, are inadmissible. London, R.H. Porter, 1898. url p. 50.
- A manual of Philippine birds / by Richard C. McGregor. Manila: Bureau of Printing, 1909. url p. 77, p. 77.
- A manual of Philippine birds, by Richard C. McGregor. .. Manila, Bureau of Printing, 1909. url p. 77.
- A manual of palæarctic birds, by H. E. Dresser. London, The author, 1902-03. url , p. 714, p. 715.
- A natural history of the nests and eggs of British birds / by the Rev. F.O. Morris. London: John C. Nimmo, 1896. url .
- A pocket-book of British birds, by E.F.M. Elms. London: West, Newman & co. [etc.], 1906. url p. 104.
- A preliminary catalog of the birds of Missouri / St. Louis: Academy of Science of St. Louis, 1907. url , .
- A preliminary catalogue of the Bernice Pauahi Bishop museum of Polynesian ethnology and natural history. .. Honolulu, 1892-93. url p. 8.
- A reprint of the North American zoology, by George Ord. Being an exact reproduction of the part originally compiled by Mr. Ord for Johnson & Warner, and first published by them in their 2d American ed. of Guthrie's geography, in 1815. Taken Haddonsfield, N.J., Pub. by the editor, 1894. url p. 46.
- A student's text-book of zoology / by Adam Sedgwick. London: S. Sonnenschein and co.; 1898-1909. url p. 466.
- A survey and record of Woolwich and West Kent containing descriptions and records, brought up-to-date, of geology, botany, zoology, archaeology and industries of the district, with a brief photographic commentary, in commemoration of the 12th Ann General editors, C.H. Grinling, T.A. Ingram [and] B.C. Polkinghorne. Woolwich: Labour Representation Print. Co., 1909. url p. 252.
- A text-book of agricultural zoology, Edinburgh and London, W. Blackwood and Sons, 1899. url .
- A text-book of zoogeography / by Frank E. Beddard. Cambridge: University Press, 1895. url p. 10.
- A text-book of zoogeography, Cambridge, University press, 1895. url .
- A text-book of zoogeography, by Frank E. Beddard... Cambridge, University press, 1895. url p. 10.
- A tour in Sutherlandshire: with extracts from the field-books of a sportsman and naturalist / with an Appendix on the fauna of Sutherland by J.A. Harvie-Brown and T.E. Buckley. Edinburgh, Douglas, 1884. url p. 350.
- A vertebrate fauna of the Orkney Islands / by Thomas E. Buckley and J.A. Harvie-Brown. Edinburgh: D. Douglas, 1891. url p. 199.
- A year with the birds / by W. Warde Fowler; with illustrations by Bryan Hook. London: Macmillan, 1891. url p. 264.
- A year with the birds, Oxford, B. H. Blackwell, 1886. url .
- A year with the birds, by W. Warde Fowler. .. With illustrations by Bryan Hook. London, New York: Macmillan and co., 1891. url p. 264.
- A year with the birds; by W. Warde Fowler. .. illustrations by Bryan Hook. London, Macmillan and co., limited, 1914. url p. 264.
- American Museum novitates. New YorkAmerican Museum of Natural History url p. 5.
- American ornithology, or, The natural history of the birds of the United States illustrated with plates engraved from drawings from nature by Alexander Wilson and Charles Lucian Bonaparte. Philadelphia: Porter & Coates, [1878?] url .
- Among British birds in their nesting haunts: illustrated by the camera / by Oswin A. J. Lee. Edinburgh: David Douglas, [1896-9?] url p. 59, p. 61.
- An account of the flowering plants, ferns and allies of Harleston. With a sketch of the geology, climate, and natural characteristics of the neighbourhood. Compiled and edited by Francis William Galpin. To which are added Observations on the birds of the district, by Charles Candler. London, Bartlett, 1888. url p. 144.
- An angler's paradise and how to obtain it. Scarborough, The Angler, 1898. url p. 300.
- An early pleistocene avifauna from Inglis, Florida / by Gail Elaine Speaker Carr. 1981. url , p. 84.
- An illustrated dictionary of scientific terms. New York: G. P. Putnam's Sons, pref. 1878. url p. 162.
- An illustrated manual of British birds, with 384 illustrations and 3 colored maps. London, Gurney, 1899. url p. 517.
- Anatomical and zoological researches: comprising an account of the zoological results of the two expeditions to western Yunnan in 1868 and 1875; and a monograph of the two cetacean genera, Platanista and Orcella / London: B. Quaritch, 1878. url , .
- Anatomischer Anzeiger. Jena: G. Fischer, 1886- url p. 13.
- Animate creation; popular edition of "Our Living World" a natural history, by the Rev. J. G. Wood. Revised and adapted to American zoology, by Joseph B. Holder. New York, S. Hess url .
- Annals of the Carnegie Museum. [Pittsburgh]: Published by authority of the Board of Trustees of the Carnegie Institute, 1901- url p. 550.
- Annals of the South African Museum. Annale van die Suid-Afrikaanse Museum. Cape Town [etc., South African Museum, etc.] url p. 356.
- Annual report of the Director of the Bureau of Science. .. Manila: Bureau of Printing, 1906- url p. 25.
- Annual report of the Ohio State Academy of Science. Columbus: The Academy, 1893-1930. url p. 62.
- Ardea. Amsterdam, etc., Nederlandse Ornithlogische Unie, etc. url p. 112, p. 139, p. 26, p. 67, p. 78.
- Aves / 1891 London: Printed by Taylor and Francis, 1891. url p. 146, p. xviii.
- Biodiversity trends and threats in Europe: development and test of a species trend indicator RIVM, UNEP-WCMC url p. 47, p. 65.
- Biologia centrali-americana: Aves / [London: R.H. Porter], 1879-1904. url .
- Biosphere Reserves, Compilation 4, October 1986: programme on man and the biosphere (MAB) IUCN Conservation Monitoring Centre url p. 60.
- Biosphere Reserves, Compilation 5, October 1990: programme on man and the biosphere (MAB) IUCN url p. 11.
- Bird behaviour psychical and physiological, New York, Dodd, Mead and Company url .
- Bird life glimpses / by Edmund Selous; with 12 headings and 6 full-page illustrations by G.E. Lodge. London: G. Allen, 1905. url .
- Bird life glimpses, by Edmund Selous; with 12 headings and 6 full-page illustrations by G.E. Lodge. London, G. Allen, 1905. url p. 265.
- Bird life in arctic Norway: a popular brochure / by Robert Collett; translated by Alfred Heneage Cocks. London: H.R. Porter, 1894. url p. vi.
- Bird-life / by W. P. Pycraft. London: Hodder and Stoughton, . url p. 114.
- Bird-lore. New York, National Association of Audubon Societies. url p. 80.
- Birds and their nests and eggs: found in and near great towns / by George H. Vos. London: E.P. Dutton., [1907?] url p. 134.
- Birds from Moidart and elsewhere / [by] Mrs. Hugh Blackburn. Edinburgh: David Douglas, 1895. url p. 147.
- Birds in Kansas / Max C. Thompson & Charles Ely. 1 Lawrence, Kan.: University of Kansas, Museum of Natural History: c1989- url p. 195, p. 398, p. xii.
- Birds of Britain, by J. Lewis Bonhote. .. with 100 illustrations in colour selected by H.E. Dresser from his Birds of Europe.' London: A. and C. Black, 1907. url p. 288.
- Birds of Calayan and Fuga, Babuyan group. Manila, 1904. url p. 12.
- Birds of Darjeeling and India, by L.J. Mackintosh. Calcutta, Printed by J.N. Banerjee & son, 1915. url .
- Birds of the Indian Hills. London, John Lane, 1915. url , .
- Birds of the Indian hills, by Douglas Dewar. A companion volume to the bird volumes of "The fauna of British India." London, John Lane company; [etc., etc.]1915. url p. 230, p. 260.
- Birds of the Kansas City region / [St. Louis, Mo.: Academy of Sciences of St. Louis]1919. url , .
- Birds of the Kansas City region [by] Harry Harris. [St. Louis, Mo.]1919 url p. 246, p. 362, p. 362.
- Birds of the plains, by Douglas Dewar. .. with sixteen illustrations from photographs of living birds, by Captain F. D. S. Fayrer, I. M. S. London, J. Lane;1909  url p. 243, p. 243.
- Birds of the world for young people, New York, F.A. Stokes Company url , .
- Birds of the world; a popular account. With a chapter on the anatomy of birds, by Frederic A. Lucas; the whole edited by Robert Ridgway. New York, Holt, 1909. url p. 857.
- Birds the world over, as shown in habitat groups in Chicago Natural History Museum [by] Austin L. Rand, curator, Division of Birds, and Emmet R. Blake, associate curator, Division of Birds. [Chicago]1954. url p. 20.
- Birds useful and birds harmful, by Ottó Herman. .. and J. A. Owen. Manchester, University press, 1909. url .
- Birds' nests; an introduction to the science of caliology, London, F. A. Stokes company, 1902. url , .
- Birds. By Eugene W. Oates. London: Taylor and Francis; [etc., etc.], 1889-98. url p. 175.
- Birds. London, Taylor and Francis, 1889-1898. url .
- Blood immunity and blood relationship; a demonstration of certain blood-relationships amongst animals by means of the precipitin test for blood, by George H. F. Nuttall...Including original researches by G. S. Graham-Smith...and T. S. P. Strangeways. Cambridge, University press, 1904. url p. 364.
- Boletim da Sociedade Portuguesa de Cie?ncias Naturais. Lisboa, Sociedade Portuguesa de Cie?ncias Naturais, 1908- url p. 166, p. 200, p. 205, p. 214.
- Britain's birds and their nests / described by A. Landsborough Thomson; with introduction by J. Arthur Thomson, illustrated by George Rankin. London: W. & R. Chambers, 1910. url p. 96.
- British birds and their eggs: with a new method of identification / by J. Maclair Boraston. London: W. & R. Chambers, 1909. url .
- British birds in their haunts, by the late Rev. C.A. Johns. .. ed., rev., and annotated, by J.A. Owen. .. Illustrated with 64 coloured plates (256 figures) by William Foster. .. With a glossary of common and provincial names and te London, E.P. Dutton & Co., 1909. url p. 231.
- British birds with their nests and eggs London, Brumby & Clarke[1896-98] url .
- British birds' nests, how, where, and when to find and identify them, by Richard Kearton, F. Z. S. Illustrated from photographs by Cherry and Richard Kearton, with coloured and Rembrandt plates. London, Cassell and Company, Limited, 1908. url p. 229.
- British birds, London, Longmans, Green, and co., 1921. url , p. 279, p. 356.
- British birds, by W. H. Hudson, C.M.Z.S. With a chapter on structure and classification by Frank E. Beddard, F.R.S. With 8 coloured plates from original drawings by A. Thorburn and 8 plates and 100 figures in black London, Longmans, Green, and co., 1921. url , p. 279, p. 356.
- British birds, by W.H. Hudson, C.M.Z.S. With a chapter on structure and classification by Frank E. Beddard, F. R.S. With 8 coloured plates from original drawings by A. Thorburn and 8 plates and 100 figures in black London, Longmans, Green, and co., 1895. url , p. 279.
- British birds: key list. London, R. H. Porter, 1892. url p. 45.
- British nesting birds: a complete record of every species which nests in the British Isles / by W. Percival Westell. London: J.M. Dent, 1910. url p. 11, p. 67.
- Bulletin / Illinois Natural History Survey. Urbana, State of Illinois, Dept. of Registration and Education, Natural History Survey Division, 1918-1985. url p. 459.
- Bulletin / Peabody Museum of Natural History. 1972 New Haven: Peabody Museum of Natural History, url p. 125, p. 28, p. 9, p. 91.
- Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History). London: The Museum, 1950-1977. url p. 15, p. 19, p. 204, p. 209, p. 217, p. 224, p. 55.
- Bulletin of the British Ornithologists' Club. London: The Club, 1893- url , , , , p. 131, p. 159, p. 165, p. 183, p. 183, p. 280, p. 280, p. 284, p. 63, p. 71, p. 83, p. 90, p. 91.
- Bulletin of the U.S. Department of Agriculture. [Washington, D.C.?]: Supt. of Docs., G.P.O., 1913-1923. url p. 54.
- Catalogue of museum of natural history and miscellaneous antiquities, curios, &c., collected by Rev. Donald Miller. Bordighera, Italy, Manse Printing Press url p. 24.
- Catalogue of scientific papers (1800-1900) Comp. by the Royal society of London. Cambridge, C. J. Clay and sons, 1867-1902; url p. 299, p. 539, p. 686.
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. Compiled by the Royal Society of London. London, C.J. Clay and Sons, 1867-1902 [etc.] Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1914-25. url p. 299, p. 686, p. 760.
- Catalogue of the Collection of Birds' Eggs in the British Museum / By E. W. Oates [and afterwards] by S. G. Reid [and] W. R. Ogilvie-Grant. London, 1901-12. url p. 123.
- Catalogue of the Edward E. Ayer Ornithological Library. .. 16 1926 Chicago, 1926. url p. 359.
- Catalogue of the birds of Suffolk, with an introduction and remarks on their distribution. London, J. Van Voorst, 1884-86. url p. 168.
- Catalogue of the collection of birds' eggs in the British museum (Natural history). London: Printed by order of the Trustees, 1901-12. url p. 123.
- Catalogue of the specimens illustrating the osteology of vertebrated animals, recent and extinct, contained in the Museum of the Royal College of Surgeons of England. London, 1891. url p. 378.
- Check-list and bibliography on the occurrence of insects in birds' nests. Ames, Iowa State College Press url p. 299, p. 301, p. 302, p. 303, p. 316, p. 317, p. 575, p. 576, p. 577.
- Check-list of North American birds / prepared by a committee of the American ornithologists' union. Lancaster, Pa.: The Union, 1931. url p. 384, p. 448.
- Check-list of North American birds. [Ithaca, N.Y.]1957. url p. 160, p. 661.
- Check-list of North American birds: the species of birds of North America from the Arctic through Panama, including the West Indies and Hawaiian Islands / prepared by the Committee on Classification and Nomenclature of the American Orni Lawrence, Kan.: American Ornithologists' Union, 1983. url p. 158, p. 22, p. 801.
- Check-list of birds of the world. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1931-1987. url p. 203, p. 204.
- Check-list of the species of fishes known from the Philippine Archipelago, Manila, Bureau of printing, 1910. url p. 239, p. 77.
- Coloured figures of the birds of the British Islands / issued by Lord Lilford. London: R. H. Porter, 1885-1897. url , , p. 9.
- Common birds of the Yangtze delta. Shanghai, 1912. url .
- Compendium of natural features information / Baltimore: The Department, 1975. url p. 169.
- Contributions to biology from the Hopkins Seaside Laboratory of the Leland Stanford Jr. University. Stanford University, Calif.: The University, 1895-1904. url p. 167.
- Contributions to the natural history of the Bermudas. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1884. url p. 248.
- Controlled natural selection and value marketing, by J. C. Mottram. London, New York [etc.], Longmans, Green and Co., 1914. url p. 118.
- Coral Reefs of the World. url p. 299.
- Country rambles, and Manchester walks and wild flowers: being rural wanderings in Cheshire, Lancashire, Derbyshire, & Yorkshire, by Leo H. Grindon. Manchester, Palmer & Howe, 1882. url p. 274.
- Directory of Wetlands of International Importance. IUCN url p. 103, p. 105, p. 11, p. 12, p. 371, p. 373, p. 375, p. 378, p. 380, p. 382, p. 391, p. 508, p. 566, p. 567, p. 580, p. 590, p. 681, p. 707, p. 73, p. 75.
- Distributional notes on Nepal birds [by] Robert L. Fleming and Melvin A. Traylor. 53 1968 [Chicago]Field Museum of Natural History, 1968. url p. 195.
- Ecology of Buzzards Bay: an estuarine profile / by Brian L. Howes and Dale D. Goehringer and Center for Marine Science and Technology, University of Massachusetts; Rebecca J. Howard, project officer. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Dept. of the Interior, National Biological Service, 1996. url p. 73.
- Egyptian birds for the most part seen in the Nile Valley, by Charles Whymper. 1909 London, A. and C. Black, 1909. url p. 214.
- FWS/0BS. [Washington]Fish and Wildlife Service, U.S. Dept. of the Interior. url p. 135, p. 138, p. 272.
- Familiar wild birds / by W. Swaysland; with coloured plates. 1 1883 London; New York: Cassell, 1883. url figure , p. 125, p. 169.
- Fauna of New England, 11: list of the aves / by Glover M. Allen. Boston: Society of Natural History, 1909. url p. 65.
- Fauna of New England. List of the Araneida. Boston, For Society, 1908. url .
- Fauna, flora & geology of the Clyde area, ed. by G.F. Scott Elliot, Malcolm Laurie and J. Barclay Murdoch. Glasgow, Pub. by the local committee for the meeting of the British Association, 1901. url p. 167.
- Final environmental impact statement: proposed estuarine sanctuary grant award to the state of New York for a Hudson River estuarine sanctuary / Albany, N.Y.: The Department,  url p. 57.
- Fish and Wildlife Habitat Changes Resulting from Construction of a Nine-Foot Channel on Pools 24, 25, and 26 of the Mississippi River and the Lower Illinois River, Ft. BelvoirDefense Technical Information CenterAPR 1979. url p. 437.
- Fleas, flukes & cuckoos; a study of bird parasites, by Miriam Rothschild and Theresa Clay. New York, Macmillan, 1957. url p. 303.
- Forest birds, their haunts and habits; short studies from nature, by Harry F. Witherby. London, K. Paul, Trench, Trübner & co., ltd., 1894. url p. 82.
- Fur and feather in North China. Tientsin, North China: Tientsin Press, 1914. url p. 159.
- Game, shore, and water birds of India / Calcutta: Thacker, Spink; 1888 url , p. 81.
- Genera insectorum / publiés par P. Wytsman. Bruxelles, L. Desmet-Verteneuil [etc.]1902-1970. url p. 28, p. 69.
- General zoology / by H. L. Wieman. New York; McGraw-Hill book company, inc., 1938. url p. 326.
- Geographical distribution of British birds / by Henry Seebohm. London: R.H. Porter, 1893. url p. 8.
- Glacier garden, Lucerne. Lucerne: Bucher, 1913. url .
- Great Basin naturalist memoirs. 1976 [Provo, Utah]Brigham Young University, 1976-1992. url p. 214.
- Guide to the Gallery of Birds in the Department of Zoology of the British Museum (Natural History). London: Printed by order of the Trustees [by Taylor and Francis], 1905. url p. 171, p. 40.
- Guide to the gallery of birds in the Department of Zoology, British Museum (Natural History) LondonPrinted by order of the Trustees url p. 35.
- Hampstead Hill: its structure, materials and sculpturing / by J. Logan Lobley; with The flora of Hampstead, by Henry T. Wharton; The insect fauna of Hampstead, by F. A. Walker; and The birds of Hampstead, by J. Edmund Haring. London: Roper and Drowley, 1889. url p. 93.
- Hampstead Hill; its structure, materials, and sculpturing. With The flora of Hampstead by Henry T. Wharton; The insect fauna of Hampstead, by F.A. Walker; and The birds of Hampstead, by J. Edmund Harting. LondonRoper and Drowley1889 url p. 93.
- Hand-book to the birds of Great Britain. London, Allen, 1894-97. url p. 234, p. 234, p. 235.
- Handbook and guide to the British birds on exhibition in the Lord Derby Natural History Museum, Liverpool. Liverpool, C. Tinling, 1914. url p. 41.
- Handbook of protozoology, by Richard Roksabro Kudo...with one hundred and seventy-five illustrations. Springfield, Ill., C.C. Thomas, 1931. url p. 274, p. 431.
- Handbook to the birds of the Bombay presidency, by Lieut. H. Edwin Barnes. .. Calcutta, The Calcutta Central Press, 1885. url , , , p. 368, p. 368, p. 449, p. 449.
- Handlist of the birds of Egypt by M.J. Nicoll. Cairo, Government Press, 1919. url p. 84.
- Heligoland as an ornithological observatory; the result of fifty years' experience, Edinburgh, D. Douglas, 1895. url p. 516.
- History of the Berwickshire Naturalists' Club, instituted September 22, 1831 [Vol. 1 of proceedings, corr. and reprinted] Alnwick, H.H. Blair, 1885. url p. 134, p. 84.
- Humboldt; Monatsschrift für die gesamten Naturwissenschaften. Stuttgart, F. Enke, 1882-90. url p. 401.
- IUCN Directory of Neotropical Protected Areas IUCN url p. 205, p. 57.
- IUCN Directory of South Asian Protected Areas IUCN url p. 15, p. 179, p. 277, p. 286.
- Illinois River Bluffs area assessment / Illinois Department of Natural Resources, Office of Scientific Research and Analysis, [and the] State Geological Survey Division. Springfield, Ill.: Illinois Dept. of Natural Resources, 1998- url p. 73.
- In wildest Africa, by C.G. Schillings, Tr. by Frederic Whyte. With over 300 photographic studies direct from the author's negatives, taken by day and night; and other illustrations. London: Harper & brothers, 1907. url p. 188.
- Index-catalogue of the birds in the Hancock collection. [Newcastle-upon-Tyne]Printed for the Natural History Society, 1899. url p. 89.
- International catalogue of scientific literature. LondonPublished for the International Council by the Royal Society of London1901-1920 url p. 14.
- Jobos Bay National Estuarine Sanctuary Management Plan. San Juan, P.R.: Dept. of Natural Resources, Commonwealth of Puerto Rico,  url p. 73.
- Jottings about birds / by Charles Dixon. London: Chapman and Hall, 1893. url p. 205.
- Journal and proceedings of the Asiatic Society of Bengal. 4 1908 Calcutta, Asiatic Society of Bengal. url p. 63, p. 77.
- Journal of ethnobiology. 20 2000 Flagstaff, Ariz.: Center for Western Studies, 1981- url p. 180, p. 94.
- Journal of the Federated Malay States Museums. Kuala Lumpur: the Museums, 1905-1936. url p. 253.
- Journal of the Kentucky Academy of Science. Lexington, KY: The Academy, 1998- url p. 127, p. 127, p. 181, p. 181.
- Journal of the Royal Microscopical Society. Oxford [etc.]Royal Microscopical Society. url p. 442.
- Life and letters of Alexander Goodman More, F.R.S.E., F.L.S., M.R.I.A., with selections from his zoological and botanical writings; ed. by C.B. Moffat, B.A., with a preface by Frances M. More. Dublin, Hodges, Figgis & co. (ltd.)1898. url p. 452.
- List of the vertebrated animals now or lately living in the gardens of the Zoological Society of London. London, Printed for the Society, 1896. url p. 512, p. 512.
- Lord Lilford on birds: being a collection of informal and unpublished writings by the late president of the British Ornithologists' Union. With contributed papers upon falconry and otter hunting, his favourite sports. Edited by Aubyn Trevor-Battye and illustrated by Archibald Thorburn. London, Hutchinson, 1903. url p. 220.
- Loudon's Natural History. Popular descriptions, tales and anecdotes of more than five hundred animals. London, G. Bell and sons, 1889. url .
- Madagascar: an environmental profile IUCN Conservation Monitoring Centre url p. 176.
- Mammals of the Soviet Union / V.G. Heptner, A.A. Nasimovich, and A.G. Bannikov; scientific editor, Robert S. Hoffmann. Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Libraries and National Science Foundation, 1988- url p. 1049.
- Manual of the birds of Iceland / by Henry H. Slater. Edinburgh: D. Douglas, 1901. url p. 80, p. 80.
- Materials for the study of variation: treated with especial regard to discontinuity in the origin of species / by William Bateson. London: Macmillan, 1894. url p. 309, p. 392, p. 55.
- Memoirs and proceedings of the Manchester Literary & Philosophical Society. Manchester: The Society, 1888-1980. url p. 32.
- Memoirs of the Bernice Pauahi Bishop Museum of Polynesian Ethnology and Natural History. Honolulu: [Bishop Museum Press], 1899-1949. url p. 71.
- Memoirs of the San Diego Society of Natural History. 13 1984 San Diego, Calif.: The Society, 1931-1989. url p. 270, p. xv.
- Memorial edition of Thomas Bewick's works. London, B. Quaritch, 1885-87. url p. xxix.
- Michigan bird life, a list of all the bird species known to occur in the state together with an outline of their classification and an account of the life history of each species, wtih special reference to its relation t [Lansing]Michigan Agricultural College, 1912. url , .
- Michigan bird life: a list of all the bird species known to occur in the State together with an outline of their classification and an account of the life history of each species, with special reference to its relation t by Walter Bradford Barrows. Lansing: Michigan Agricultural College, 1912. url p. 161, p. 803.
- Midland naturalist. London: Hardwicke and Bogue, 1878- url p. 281.
- Miscellaneous publication - University of Kansas, Museum of Natural History. 1960 Lawrence: University of Kansas, 1946-1996. url p. 2, p. 20.
- Natural history of the animal kingdom for the use of young people: in three parts, comprising I. Mammalia: II. Birds: Part III. Reptiles, amphibia, fishes, insects, worms, molluscs, zoophytes, &c.: with 91 coloured plates, including about 850 figures, and numerous adapted from the German of Professor von Schubert by W.F. Kirby. 1889 Brighton: E. & J.B. Young and Co., 1889. url figures , p. 18.
- Natural history rambles. London, Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge, 1879. url p. 98.
- Nature Reserves of the Himalaya and the Mountains of Central Asia IUCN url p. 173, p. 18, p. 211, p. 41, p. 465.
- North American fauna. Washington: Fish and Wildlife Service; for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U. S. Govt. Print. Off. url p. 18, p. 394, p. 394, p. 68.
- North American monostomes primarily from fresh water hosts; with nine plates and two tables, by E. C. Harrah. Urbana, Ill., c1922 url p. 8, p. 8.
- Notes on the bird life of Formby. Liverpool, Printed by Rockliff Bros.[pref. 1892] url p. 23.
- Notes on the birds of Herefordshire, contributed by members of the Woolhope Club. Collected and arranged by the late Henry Graves Bull.
- Notes on the birds of Northamptonshire and neighbourhood / Lord Lilford; illustrated by A. Thorburn and G.E. Lodge. London: Porter, 1895. url p. 297, p. 325.
- Notes on the birds of Rainham, including the district between Chatham and Sittingbourne. London, Curney & Jackson, 1894. url p. 68.
- Occasional papers of Bernice P. Bishop Museum. Honolulu, Bishop Museum Press, 1898-1984. url p. 141, p. 141, p. 31, p. 31.
- Occasional papers of the California Academy of Sciences. San Francisco: California Academy of Sciences, url p. 15, p. 292.
- Occasional papers. Honolulu, Bishop Museum Press. url p. 141, p. 31.
- Oologia neerlandica: eggs of birds breeding in the Netherlands / by A.A. van Pelt Lechner. The Hague: Nijhoff, 1910-1913 [i.e. 1911-1913]. url , , , .
- Ornithological bibliography. [Washington: Geological Survey [etc.], 1878-1880. url p. 882, p. 883, p. 884, p. 885, p. 886, p. 887, p. 889, p. 892, p. 894.
- Ornithological gazetteer of Argentina / Raymond A. Paynter. 1995 Cambridge, Mass.: Obtainable from Bird Dept., Museum of Comparative Zoology, Harvard University, 1995. url p. 955, p. 968.
- Our country's birds and how to know them. A guide to all the birds of Great Britain. London, Simpkin, Marshall, Hamilton, Kent[1892?] url , , , .
- Our living world; an artistic edition of the Rev. J. G. Wood's Natural history of animate creation. New York: S. Hess,  url p. 8.
- Our resident birds and how to know them / E.F.M. Elms. London: T. Butterworth,  url p. 81, p. 81.
- P.D. Skaar's Montana bird distribution / revised by the Montana Bird Distribution Committee. [Helena, MT]:Montana Natural Heritage Program, 1996 url p. 38.
- Papers from the Tortugas Laboratory of the Carnegie Institution of Washington. Washington, D.C.: Carnegie Institution of Washington, 1908-42. url p. 328.
- Parasites: a treatise on the entozoa of man and animals including some account of the ectozoa / by T. Spencer Cobbold. London: J. & A. Churchill, 1879. url p. 449, p. 497.
- Parental care and its evolution in birds. Urbana, University of Illinois Press, 1952. url p. 199.
- Pesticides monitoring journal. [Washington, D.C.: For sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. G.P.O., 1967-1981. url p. 146, p. 150.
- Postilla. 1968 New Haven, Conn.: Peabody Museum of Natural History, [1950?]-c2004. url p. 16.
- Preliminary notes on the birds and mammals collected by the Menage Scientific Expedition to the Philippine Islands. Minneapolis, The Academy, 1894. url .
- Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington. Washington, Biological Society of Washington url p. 162, p. 294, p. 295, p. 85.
- Proceedings of the California Academy of Sciences, 4th series. San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences. url p. 712.
- Proceedings of the International Ornithological Congress. [Canberra, etc.]: Australian Academy of Science [etc.] url p. 228, p. 339, p. 391, p. 938.
- Proceedings of the New England Zoo?logical Club. [Cambridge, Mass.]: The Club, 1899- url , p. 107, p. 93.
- Proceedings of the fourth International Congress of Zoology, Cambridge, 22-27 August, 1898. Ed. by Adam Sedgwick. London: Clay, 1899. url p. 237.
- Proposed estuarine sanctuary grant award to the state of New York for a Hudson River estuarine sanctuary. Albany, N.Y.: New York, Dept. of Environmental Conservation,  url p. 121.
- Protozoa. .. by B. L. Bhatia. .. London, Taylor and Francis, 1936- url p. 23, p. 234, p. 24, p. 252, p. 30.
- Protozoology, by Richard R. Kudo. .. With three hundred and thirty-six illustrations. Springfield, Ill., C.C. Thomas, 1946. url p. 473, p. 748.
- Protozoology, by Richard Roksabro Kudo... with two hundred and ninety-one illustrations. Springfield, Ill., Thomas[c1939] url p. 425, p. 659.
- Protozoology. Springfield, Ill., C. C. Thomas url p. 584, p. 936.
- Publications in zoology = Publications en zoologie. Ottawa: National Museums of Canada, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1970-1982. url p. 17, p. 63.
- Rambles of a naturalist round Folkestone: with occasional papers on the fauna and flora of the district, to which are added lists of plants, lepidoptera, birds, and land and freshwater shells / by Henry Ullyett. Folkestone: J. English, 1880. url p. 154.
- Report of the Secretary of the Smithsonian Institution and financial report of the Executive Committee of the Board of Regents for the year ending June 30. .. Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution, 1933-1965. url p. 129, p. 82, p. 87.
- Report of the proceedings of the. .. Entomological Meeting. Calcutta: Superintendent government printing, India, 1917-23. url p. 870.
- Report on the scientific results of the voyage of S.Y. "Scotia" during the years 1902, 1903 and 1904, under the leadership of William S. Bruce. Edinburgh:Scottish Oceanographical Laboratory, 1907-20. url p. 282.
- Rough notes and memoranda relating to the natural history of the Bermudas, London, R.H. Porter, 1897. url , , , , .
- Science-gossip. Berlin: R. Friedländer & Sohn, -1902. url p. 63.
- Short sketches of the wild sports & natural history of the highlands, London, John Murray, 1893. url .
- Sketch-book of British birds / by R. Bowdler Sharpe; with coloured illustrations by A.F. and C. Lydon. London: Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge, 1898. url p. 248.
- Sketches of South African bird-life, Cape Town, T. M. Miller, 1914. url .
- Smithsonian year. 1965 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1965-1976. url p. 178.
- Some Chinese vertebrates. .. With six plates. Cambridge, U.S.A., Printed for the Museum, 1912. url p. 145.
- South African journal of natural history. Pretoria, South African Biological Society. url p. 144.
- Special papers / Ohio Academy of Sciences. Columbus, Ohio: The Academy, 1899-1929. url p. 62.
- Special scientific report--wildlife / U.S. Department of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service. Washington, D.C.: The Service, 1949- url p. 135, p. 155, p. 207, p. 233, p. 249, p. 258, p. 281, p. 29, p. 38, p. 43, p. 452, p. 594, p. 684, p. 8, p. 80, p. 82.
- Spolia zeylanica. S.l.: s.n. url , p. 187, p. 22, p. 30, p. 31, p. 31.
- Studies in bird migration, London, Gurney and Jackson; [etc., etc.]1912. url , , , .
- Studies in bird migration, by William Eagle Clarke. .. with maps, weather charts, and other illustrations. .. London, Gurney and Jackson; [etc., etc.]1912. url p. 165, p. 298, p. 64.
- Syllogeus. Ottawa, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1972-1995. url p. 13.
- Territory in bird life / by H. Eliot Howard; with illustrations by G.E. Lodge, and H. Grönvold. London: Murray, 1920. url .
- Territory in bird life. London, J. Murray, 1920. url .
- Text book of zoology London, Sampson Low, Marston, 1896. url , .
- Text-book of zoology; London, A. and C. Black, 1901. url .
- Text-book of zoology; treated from a biological standpoint, by Dr. Otto Schmeil; tr. from the German by Rudolf Rosenstock, M. A.; ed. by J. T. Cunningham, M. A. London, A. and C. Black, 1901. url p. 215.
- The American journal of anatomy. Baltimore, MD: [s.n.], 1902-1991. url p. 380, p. 485.
- The Annals of Scottish natural history. Edinburgh: David Douglas, 1892-1911. url p. 141, p. 146, p. 183, p. 19, p. 200, p. 202, p. 202, p. 206, p. 207, p. 21, p. 21, p. 213, p. 215, p. 216, p. 218, p. 227, p. 26, p. 97.
- The Auk. Washington, D.C.: American Ornithologists' Union, etc., 1884- url p. 101, p. 181, p. 191, p. 243, p. 336, p. 337, p. 339, p. 413, p. 430, p. 440, p. 470, p. 471, p. 56, p. 99.
- The Avicultural magazine. Ascot, Berkshire, etc.: Avicultural Society, etc. url p. 166, p. 168, p. 37.
- The British bird book: an account of all the birds, nests and eggs found in the British Isles / ed. by F.B. Kirkman. Illustrated by two hundred drawings and numerous photographs. London: T.C. & E.C. Jack, 1910-13. url p. 562.
- The Cambridge natural history, ed. by S.F. Harmer. .. and A.E. Shipley. .. London, Macmillan and co., limited;1895-1909 url p. 249, p. 249, p. 605.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. 47 1933 Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url brooks , p. 142, p. 156, p. 181, p. 195, p. 216, p. 221, p. 224, p. 231, p. 36, p. 407, p. 428, p. 444, p. 695, p. 70, p. 741.
- The Emu: official organ of the Australasian Ornithologists' Union. Melbourne: Royal Australasian Ornithologists Union, 1901- url p. 58.
- The Glasgow naturalist. Glasgow, Andersonian Naturalists of Glasgow. url p. 112, p. 115, p. 143, p. 149, p. 23, p. 24, p. 40, p. 48, p. 55, p. 60, p. 65.
- The Great Basin naturalist. 26 1966 Provo, Utah: M.L. Bean Life Science Museum, Brigham Young University, 1939-1999. url p. 141, austin & bradley, page 41, p. 50, p. 598, white et al., page 717.
- The Irish naturalist. Dublin: Eason & Son, Ltd., 1892- url p. 186, p. 228.
- The Journal of the Bombay Natural History Society. Bombay: The Society, url , , , , , p. 101, p. 1215, p. 162, p. 185, p. 282, p. 310, p. 426, p. 494, p. 594, p. 6, p. 604, p. 62, p. 68, p. 706, p. 741, p. 828, p. 83, p. 86, p. 943, p. 945.
- The Journal of the Natural History Society of Siam. [Bangkok, Thailand]: The Society, url .
- The Journal of the South African Ornithologists' Union. Pretoria. url p. 103, p. 105, p. 111, p. 114, p. 201, p. 32, p. 40, p. 46, p. 80.
- The Marine Mammal Commission compendium of selected treaties, international agreements, and other relevant documents on marine resources, wildlife, and the environment / compiled by Richard L. Wallace. Washington, D.C.: The Commission; 1994 url p. 3127.
- The Philippine journal of science. Manila: Bureau of Science url p. 239, p. 282, p. 319, p. 405, p. 455, p. 542, p. 657, p. 740, p. 87.
- The Plant world. Baltimore [etc.]Plant World Association [etc.] url p. 265.
- The Riverside natural history. Boston and New York, Houghton, Mifflin and company[c1888] url p. 131.
- The Scottish naturalist. Arbroath [etc.]T. Buncle & Co. [etc.] url p. 19, p. 218, p. 8.
- The Uganda protectorate; an attempt to give some description of the physical geography, botany, zoology, anthropology, languages and history of the territories under British protection in East Central Africa, between the Cong by Sir Harry Johnston. .. With 506 illustrations from drawings and photographs by the author and others, 48 full-page coloured plates by the author and 9 maps by J.G. Bartholomew and the author. London: Hutchinson & Co., 1902. url p. 426.
- The Victoria history of Berkshire. edited by P.H. Ditchfield and William Page. [LondonConstable]1906-1923 url p. 160.
- The Victoria history of the county of Stafford / edited by William Page. London: Constable1908- url p. 155.
- The Warbler. Floral Park: Mayflower Pub. Co., [1903-1913] url p. 31.
- The aquatic birds of Great Britain and Ireland. London: R. H. Porter, 1906. url p. 181, p. 585.
- The avifauna of British India and its dependencies: a systematic account, with descriptions of all the known species of birds inhabiting British India, observations on their habits, nidification, &c., tables of their geographical distribution in Persia by James A. Murray. London: Trübner, 1888-1890. url p. 644, p. vi.
- The biology of birds / by J. Arthur Thomson. New York: Macmillan, 1923. url p. 433.
- The bird-life of London / by Charles Dixon, with illustrations in colour and black and white. London: W. Heinemann, 1909. url p. 332.
- The birds of Africa, comprising all the species which occur in the Ethiopian region, by G.E. Shelley. .. London, Published for the author by R.H. Porter (18 Princes Street, Cavendish Square, W.), 1896-1912. url p. 175.
- The birds of Berwickshire; with remarks on their local distribution migration, and habits, and also on the folk-lore, proverbs, popular rhymes and sayings connected with them, by George Muirhead. .. Edinburgh, David Douglas, 1889-95. url p. 202, p. 338.
- The birds of Breconshire / by E. Cambridge Phillips. .. Brecon [Eng.]: E. Davies, 1899. url p. 108, p. 147.
- The birds of Britain: their distribution and habits / by A. H. Evans. Cambridge: University Press, 1916. url p. 182, p. 266.
- The birds of British Guiana: based on the collection of Frederick Vavasour McConnell. .. / London: Bernard Quaritch. .., 1916-1921. url p. 76.
- The birds of Celebes and the neighbouring islands / A.B. Meyer and L.W. Wiglesworth. Berlin: R. Friedländer, 1898. url p. 715.
- The birds of Cheshire / by T. A. Coward and Charles Oldham. Manchester [England]: Sherratt and Hughes, 1900. url p. 196, p. 264.
- The birds of Dorsetshire; a contribution to the natural history of the county, by J.C. Mansel-Pleydell. .. London, R.H. Porter; [etc., etc., 1888?] url p. 172, p. 172, p. 73.
- The birds of Lancashire, by F. S. Mitchell. London, Gurney & Jackson, 1892. url p. 204.
- The birds of London / London: Sonnenschein, 1893. url p. 95.
- The birds of North and Middle America: a descriptive catalogue of the higher groups, genera, species, and subspecies of birds known to occur in North America, from the Arctic lands to the Isthmus of Panama, the West Indies and other island Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1901- url , , , , , .
- The birds of Ohio; a revised catalogue, [Columbus?]Academy of Science, 1903. url .
- The birds of South Africa, London, R. H. Porter, 1900-1906. url , , .
- The birds of South Africa, by Arthur C. Stark. .. London: R. H. Porter, 1900-1906. url , p. 261, p. 262.
- The birds of Sussex, by William Borrer. London, R.H. Porter, 1891. url p. 194.
- The birds of Tunisia; being a history of the birds found in the regency of Tunis. By J. I. S. Whitaker. London, R.H. Porter, 1905. url p. 271.
- The birds of Yorkshire: being a historical account of the avi-fauna of the county / by T. H. Nelson; with the co-operation of W. Eagle Clarke and F. Boyes. London: A. Brown, 1907. url p. 544, p. 788.
- The birds of our country. London, Digby, Long & Co., 1898. url p. 273.
- The birds of our country. With illus. by A. Thorburn, J. Giacomelli, G.E. Lodge, K. Keyl, and R. Kretschmer. London, Digby, Long, 1897. url p. 273.
- The birds of our rambles: with a companion for the country / by Charles Dixon; with illustrations by A. T. Elwes. London: Chapman and Hall, 1891. url p. 135.
- The birds of southeastern Madagascar / Steven M. Goodman. .. [et al.]. 87 1997 [Chicago, Ill.]: Field Museum of Natural History, c1997. url table 8 , p. 130, p. 36, p. 96.
- The birds of the Chicago area / [Chicago, Jennings and Graham], 1907. url .
- The birds of the Chicago area, by Frank Morley Woodruff. .. [Chicago, Printed by Jennings and Graham]1907. url p. 61.
- The birds of the Japanese Empire. London, R. H. Porter, 1890. url , , , , , p. 360, p. 381.
- The birds of the West Indies. Including all speciesknown to occur in the Bahama Islands, the Greater Antilles, the Caymans, and the Lesser Antilles, excepting the islands of Tobago and Trinidad. By Charles B. Cory. Boston, Estes & Lauriat, 1889. url p. 257.
- The birds of the vicinity of Lake Nipissing, Ontario / [Toronto: Royal Ontario Museum], 1939. url p. 9.
- The book of nature study, ed. by J. Bretland Farmer. .. assisted by a staff of specialists. Fully illustrated. London, Caxton publishing company[1908?]-1909. url p. 190.
- The collected scientific papers of the late Alfred Henry Garrod, M.A., F.R.S. / edited, with a biographical memoir of the author, by W.A. Forbes. London: R.H. Porter, 1881. url p. 203, p. 529.
- The complete English wing shot, by G.T. Teasdale-Buckell. With fifty-three illustrations. London, McClure, Phillips;1907. url p. 368.
- The dates of publication of some of the zoological works of the late John Gould, F.R.S. / Compiled by Frederick Herschel Waterhouse. London: R. H. Porter, 1885. url p. 9.
- The descent of man, and selection in relation to sex. London, J. Murray, 1890. url p. 360, p. 686.
- The descent of man: and selection in relation to sex / New York: P. F. Collier, 1902. url .
- The distribution of bird-life in Colombia; a contribution to a biological survey of South America, New York, Pub. by order of the trustees, 1917. url , , , .
- The ecology and life history of the common frog (Rana temporaria temporaria). New York, Hafner Pub. Co., 1962 [c1961] url p. 218, p. 87.
- The edible and game birds of British India, with its dependencies and Ceylon. With woodcuts, lithographs, and coloured illustrations, by James A. Murray. .. Bombay, Education Society's Press, 1889. url p. 163, p. 7.
- The fauna of Shropshire, being an account of all the mammals, birds, reptiles & fishes found in the county of Salop. With an introduction dealing with the physical features of the county, a copious index, a chapter on the pri Illustrated by photographic plates and portraits. By H. Edward Forrest. Shrewsbury, L. Wilding [etc. etc.]1899. url p. 157.
- The faunal connections between Europe and North America. New York, Wiley url p. 27.
- The food of birds in India, by C.W. Mason, edited by H. Maxwell-Lefroy. Calcutta, Imperial Dept. of Agric. in India, 1911. url p. 252.
- The game birds and wild fowl of the British Islands. Sheffield, Pawson & Brailsford, 1900. url , , .
- The grouse in health and in disease, being the final report of the Committee of inquiry on grouse disease. London, Smith, Elder & co., 1911. url p. 363.
- The history of the collections contained in the natural history departments of the British Museum. by R. Bowdler Sharpe. London, 1906. url p. 104, p. 221.
- The journal of the Natural History Society of Siam. [London: Luzac, 1914]-1924. url p. 199.
- The migration of birds, as observed at Irish lighthouses and lightships including the original reports from 1888-97, now published for the first time, and an analysis of these and of the previously pu together with an appendix giving the measurement sof about 1600 wings / London: R.H. Porter, [etc., etc., 1900] url p. 104, p. 193, p. 41, p. 429, p. 481, p. 526, p. 653.
- The myology of the raven (Corvus corax sinuatus.) A guide to the study of the muscular system in birds. By R. W. Shufeldt. London, Macmillan and co., 1890. url , , p. 110.
- The natural history of Sokotra and Abdel-Kuri: being the report upon the results of the Conjoint Expedition to these Islands in 1898-9, by Mr. W.R. Ogilvie-Grant. .. and Dr. H.O. Forbes. .. / edited by Henry O. Forbes. Liverpool: The Free Public Museums, Henry Young and Sons, 1903. url p. 56.
- The natural history of animals: the animal life of the world in its various aspects and relations, London, The Gresham Publishing Company, 1903-04. url , .
- The naturalist's diary: a day-book of meteorology, phenology and rural biology. With a chart showing the blossoming of spring flowers in Europe, and an introduction of natural periodic phenomena, etc. 188-. London, Sonnenschein, Le Bas and Lowrey[pref. 1886] url .
- The nests and eggs of British birds: when and where to find them: being a handbook to the oology of the British Islands / by Charles Dixon. London: Chapman and Hall, 1894. url p. 340, p. 340, p. 368, p. 368.
- The nests and eggs of Indian birds / Allan O. Hume. London: R. H. Porter, 1889-1890. url p. 389, p. viii.
- The nests and eggs of Indian birds. London, R. H. Porter, 1889-90. url , .
- The origin of the land birds of Tristan da Cunha. 37 1955 [Chicago]1955. url p. 143.
- The ornithological works of Arthur, ninth Marquis of Tweeddale / edited and revised by Robert G. Wardlaw Ramsay; together with a biographical sketch of the author by William Howard Russell. London: Taylor and Francis, 1881. url p. 193, p. 600.
- The ornithology of Illinois / [by Robert Ridgway and S.A. Forbes]. Springfield, Ill., H.W. Rokker, printer, 1889-1895. url p. 86.
- The ornithology of Illinois. Part I. Descriptive catalogue. By Robert Ridgway. Part II. Economic ornithology. By S. A. Forbes. Pub. by the authority of the state Legislature. Springfield, Ill., H. W. Rokker, printer, 1889-95. url p. 86, p. 86.
- The ornithology of the Straits of Gibraltar / by L. Howard L. Irby. London: R.H. Porter, 1895. url p. 247, p. 320.
- The sportsman's British bird book / by R. Lydekker. London: Rowland Ward, 1908. url , p. 40.
- The standard natural history. Ed. by John Sterling Kingsley. Boston, S.E. Cassino and company, 1884-85. url p. 131.
- The structure and classification of birds, London, Longmans, Green, and co., 1898. url .
- The useful plants of the island of Guam; with an introductory account of the physical features and natural history of the island, of the character and history of its people, and of their agriculture / by William Edwin Safford. Washington, D.C.: Govt. Print. Off., 1905. url p. 408.
- The variation of animals and plants under domestication, by Charles Darwin. London, J. Murray, 1893. url p. 452.
- The vertebrate fauna of Cheshire and Liverpool Bay / London: Witherby, 1910. url p. 193, p. 371.
- The vertebrate zoology of Sind. A systematic account, with descriptions of all the known species of mammals, birds, and reptiles inhabiting the province. .. London, Richardson, 1884. url .
- The vertebrate zoology of Sind: a systematic account. .. / by James A. Murray. London: Richardson, 1884. url , p. 262.
- The voyage of François Leguat of Bresse, to Rodriguez, Mauritius, Java, and the Cape of Good Hope / transcribed from the first English edition; edited and annotated by Captain Pasfield Oliver. London: Printed for the Hakluyt Society, 1891. url p. 319.
- The wild beasts of the world / illustrated by Louis Sargent and others. London, Jack, 1909. url .
- The wild beasts of the world; Edinburgh, T. C. & E. C. Jack,  url .
- The wild-fowl and sea-fowl of Great Britain, London, Chapman and Hall, 1895. url , p. 159.
- The wonders of animal ingenuity / by H. Coupin and John Lea. Philadelphia: Lippincott, 1910. url p. 82.
- The world's birds a simple and popular classification of the birds of the world, by Frank Finn. With over 50 illustrations from photographs (mostly taken from living specimens) and outline figures in the text. London, Hutchinson & co., 1908. url p. 142, p. 142.
- Through Shên-kan: the account of the Clark expedition in north China, 1908-9 / By Robert Sterling Clark and Arthur de C. Sowerby, ed. by Major C. H. Chepmell. London [etc.]: T. F. Unwin, 1912. url p. 107.
- Through Shên-kan; the account of the Clark expedition in north China, 1908-9. By Robert Sterling Clark and Arthur de C. Sowerby, ed. by Major C. H. Chepmell. London [etc.]T. F. Unwin, 1912. url p. 107.
- Transactions of the Canadian Institute. Toronto: Canadian Institute. url p. 188.
- Transactions of the Edinburgh Field Naturalists' and Microscopical Society. [Edinburgh]: The Club, 1891- url p. 457.
- Transactions of the Edinburgh Naturalists' Field Club. Edinburgh: The Club, 1886. url p. 294, p. 294.
- Transactions of the Essex Field Club. Buckhurst Hill, Essex: The Club, 1880-1886. url p. 24.
- Transactions of the Hertfordshire Natural History Society and Field Club. London: Gurney & Jackson, 1879- url p. 98.
- Transactions of the Kentucky Academy of Science. [Lexington, Ky.]Kentucky Academy of Science, 1923-1997. url p. 134, p. 149, p. 165, p. 83, p. 84, p. 96.
- Transactions of the Sapporo Natural History Society. Sapporo, Japan, Sapporo Natural History Society, Hokkaido Imperial University. url .
- Trinidad, its geography, natural resources, administration, present condition, and prospects. London, Cassell, 1884. url p. 95.
- Turner on birds: a short and succinct history of the principal birds noticed by Pliny and Aristotle first published by Doctor William Turner, 1544. Ed. with introduction, translation, notes, and appendix, by A. H. Evans. Cambridge: University press, 1903. url , p. 216, p. 216.
- Turner on birds; a short and succinct history of the principal birds notices by Pliny and Artistotle, Cambridge, University press, 1903. url , .
- Two months on the Guadalquiver / by Harry F. Witherby. [London?: "Knowledge"?, [between 1899 and 1910] url p. 54.
- University of Kansas publications, Museum of Natural History. 3 1951 Lawrence, University of Kansas. url p. 126, p. 127, p. 128, p. 23, p. 322, p. 580, p. 665, p. 683.
- Veröffentlichungen der Zoologischen Staatssammlung München. 4 1956 München: Die Staatssammlung, url p. 107.
- Wild life of the world: a descriptive survey of the geographical distribution of animals / London; F. Warne and co., 1916. url p. 308.
- Wissenschaftliche ergebnisse der Deutschen Zentral-Africa-Expedition, 1907-1908: unter Führung Adolf Friedrichs, herzogs zu Mecklenburg. Leipzig: Klinkhardt & Biermann, 1910- url p. 249.
- With flashlight and rifle: a record of hunting adventures and of studies in wild life in equatorial East Africa / by C. G. Schillings; translated by Frederic Whyte; with an introduction by Sir H. H. Johnston. London: Hutchinson and Co., 1906. url p. 102.
- Wonders of the bird world / by R. Bowdler Sharpe. .. With illustrations by A.T. Elwes. New YorkFrederick A. Stokes company[pref.1898] url p. 315, p. 387.
- Wonders of the bird world, New York, Frederick A. Stokes company,  url .
- Wonders of the bird world, by Bowdler Sharpe...With illustrations by A. T. Elwes. New York: Frederick A. Stokes company,  url p. 315, p. 387.
- Zambezia: a general description of the valley of the Zambezi River, from its delta to the River Aroangwa, with its history, agriculture, flora, fauna, and ethnography / London: J. Murray, 1910. url .
- Zoologische Jahrbücher. Abteilung für Anatomie und Ontogenie der Tiere Jena [Germany]:G. Fischer, c -1993. url p. 349, p. 74.
- BirdLife International 2009. Gallinula chloropus. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloadedon 01February2012.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 9, 2012.
- IUCN 2012. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. . Downloaded on January 28, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 26, 2007:
- Biologiezentrum der Oberoesterreichischen Landesmuseen, Biologiezentrum Linz
- Botanic Garden and Botanical Museum Berlin-Dahlem, GEO Biodiversity Day
- Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility, Ontario Nest Records
- Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility, Provincial Museum of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada. Birds
- Museum of Vertebrate Zoology, Terrestrial vertebrate specimens
- New Brunswick Museum, NBM birds
- Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History, Santa Barbara Musem of Natural History
- The Danish Biodiversity Information Facility, Western Palearctic migrants in continental Africa
- UK National Biodiversity Network, Environment and Heritage Service - EHS Species Datasets
- UK National Biodiversity Network, Herts Bird Club - Hertfordshire Breeding Bird Atlas : 1988-1992
- UNIBIO, IBUNAM, CNAV/Coleccion Nacional de Aves
- University of Michigan Museum of Zoology
- , Bird specimens
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 9277
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-202251
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 3085810
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 176284
- IUCN ID: 210457
- Natural Heritage Network Species Identifier: ABNME13010
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 887
- Mean = 921.000 meters (3,021.654 feet), Standard Deviation = 1,231.300 based on 4,461 observations. Altitude information for each observation from British Oceanographic Data Centre. [back]
- BirdLife International 2009. Gallinula chloropus. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloaded on 01 February 2012. [back]