Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Dutch:
Common Names in English:
Common Names in French:
Common Names in German:
Common Names in Japanese:
Common Names in Spanish:
Species Fratercula cirrhata
Sexes similar · Immature
similar to adult
basic but bill is
smaller and darker · Pelagic bird only coming ashore to breed
· Medium to large alcid that dives for food from water surface
· Very large bill · Entirely dark plumage ·
Breeds from coastal Alaska to California, pelagic in winter
Adult alternate: Extremely colorful bill-yellow at base and red at tip · White, triangular face patch · Yellow tufts extending from behind the eye
Adult basic: Duller bill lacks yellow plate at base · Dark face · Lacks obvious tufts
Length : 12.5 inches
List of Habitats
- 6 Rocky areas (eg. inland cliffs , mountain peaks)
- 9 Marine Neritic
- 9.1 Marine Neritic - Pelagic
- 9.2 Marine Neritic - Subtidal Rock and Rocky Reefs
- 9.3 Marine Neritic - Subtidal Loose Rock/pebble/gravel
- 9.4 Marine Neritic - Subtidal Sandy
- 9.5 Marine Neritic - Subtidal Sandy-Mud
- 9.7 Marine Neritic - Macroalgal/Kelp
- 9.9 Marine Neritic - Seagrass (Submerged)
- 10 Marine Oceanic
- 10.1 Marine Oceanic - Epipelagic (0-200m)
- 10.2 Marine Oceanic - Mesopelagic (200-1000m)
- 12 Marine Intertidal
- 12.1 Marine Intertidal - Rocky Shoreline
- 12.6 Marine Intertidal - Tidepools
- 13 Marine Coastal/Supratidal
- 13.1 Marine Coastal/Supratidal - Sea Cliffs and Rocky Offshore Islands [more info]
Fish Aquatic Invertebrates
- Clutch Size: 1
- Length of Incubation : 41 days
- Days to Fledge : 45
- Number of Broods: 1, 2 in south
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Bateson, 1885
- Cuvier, 1812
- Jawed Vertebrates
- Goodrich, 1930
- Linnaeus, 1758
- Gauthier, 1986
- (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Pycraft, 1900
- Huxley, 1867
- Order: Charadriiformes () - Huxley, 1867
- Superorder: Charadriimorphae () - Huxley, 1867
- Cohort: Neognathae () - Pycraft, 1900
- Infraclass: Aves () - (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Subclass: Avialae () - Gauthier, 1986
- Class: Aves () - Linnaeus, 1758
- Superclass: Tetrapoda () - Goodrich, 1930
- Infraphylum: Gnathostomata () - auct. - Jawed Vertebrates
- Subphylum: Vertebrata () - Cuvier, 1812 - Vertebrates
- Phylum: Chordata () - Bateson, 1885 - Chordates
- Infrakingdom: Chordonia () - (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Deuterostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Fratercula cirrhata (Pallas, 1769) • Lunda cirrhata (Pallas
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 17-Oct-2001
The large bill separates adults from all other alcids except other puffins, both of which have white underparts. Juvenile Tufted Puffins are similar to Rhinoceros Auklets, but are rounder-headed with a slightly different bill shape.
Members of the genus Fratercula
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 6 species and subspecies in this genus:
F. arctica (Large-Billed Puffin) · F. arctica arctica (Atlantic Puffin) · F. arctica grabae (Atlantic Puffin) · F. arctica naumanni (Atlantic Puffin) · F. cirrhata (Tufted Puffin) · F. corniculata (Horned Puffin)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A check list of North American birds. Salem, Mass., F.W. Putnam, 1879. url p. 115.
- A dictionary of birds, London, A. and C. Black, 1893-1896. url p. 752.
- A dictionary of birds, by Alfred Newton, assisted by Hans Gadow, with contributions from Richard Lydekker. .. Charles S. Roy. .. and Robert W. Shufeldt. .. London, A. and C. Black, 1893-1896. url p. 752, p. 752, p. 752.
- A hand-list of the birds of Japan, by M. Ogawa. [Tokyo]1908. url p. 371.
- A monograph of the seal-islands of Alaska. By Henry W. Elliott. Reprinted, with additions, from the report on the fishery industries of the tenth census. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1882. url p. 134, p. 134, p. 175, p. 175.
- A report upon the condition of affairs in the territory of Alaska. By Henry W. Elliott. .. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1875. url p. 202, p. 203.
- Biology and conservation of the common murre in California, Oregon, Washington, and British Columbia / editors, David A. Manuwal. .. [et al.]. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Dept. of the Interior, U.S. Geological Survey, - url p. 63.
- Birds / by Spencer Fullerton Baird; with the co-operation of John Cassin and George N. Lawrence. Washington, D.C., 1858. url p. 920.
- Birds of the Chukchi Peninsula and Wrangel Island = (Ptitsy Chukotskogo poluostrova i ostrova Vrangelya) / L.A. Portenko; translated from Russian [by P.M. Rao]. New Delhi: Published for the Smithsonian Institution and the National Science Foundation, Washington, D.C., by Amerind Pub. Co., 1981- url .
- Catalogue of the Birds in the British Museum. London, 1874-98. url p. 612.
- Catalogue of the collection of birds' eggs in the British museum (Natural history). London: Printed by order of the Trustees, 1901-12. url p. 172.
- Check-list of North American birds: the species of birds of North America from the Arctic through Panama, including the West Indies and Hawaiian Islands / prepared by the Committee on Classification and Nomenclature of the American Orni Lawrence, Kan.: American Ornithologists' Union, 1983. url p. 248, p. 798.
- Ecology and conservation of the marbled murrelet / [technical editors, C. John Ralph. .. et al.]. Albany, Calif.: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Southwest Research Station,  url p. 228, p. 258, p. 323, p. 34, p. 396.
- Field ornithology. Comprising a manual of instruction for procuring, preparing and preserving birds, and a check list of North American birds, by Elliott Coues. Salem [Mass.]Naturalists' Agency, 1874. url p. 115.
- Fishery bulletin / U.S. Dept. of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, National Marine Fisheries Service. Washington, D.C.: The Service: url p. 17.
- Mammalogy and ornithology by John Cassin. Philadelphia: J.B. Lippincott, 1858. url , , .
- Meddelelser om Grønland. København, C. A. Reitzels Forlag, 1879-1979. url p. 19, p. 20, p. 22, p. 26, p. 314.
- Pacific coast avifauna / Cooper Ornithnological Club of California. Santa Clara, Calif.: The Club, 1900-1974. url p. 10, p. 10, p. 17, p. 199, p. 86, p. 86.
- Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia, Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia url p. 26, p. 324.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. 6 1883 Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 70.
- Report of the cruise of the revenue marine steamer Corwin in the Arctic Ocean in the year 1884. By Capt. M.A. Healy. .. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1889. url p. 31.
- Report on the seal islands of Alaska, by Henry W. Elliott. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1884. url p. 113, p. 134.
- Reports of explorations and surveys, to ascertain the most practicable and economical route for a railroad from the Mississippi River to the Pacific Ocean. Washington, A. O. P. Nicholson, printer [etc.]1855-60. url .
- Results of the second joint U.S.-U.S.S.R. Bering Sea Expedition Summer 1984 [Moscow?]: U.S. Dept. of the Interior, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service; 1990 url p. 197.
- Results of the third joint US-USSR Bering & Chukchi Seas expedition (BERPAC): Summer 1988 / John F. Turner, . .. [et al.]; P.A. Nagel, editor. Washington, DC: U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, 1992. url p. 386, p. 387.
- Seal and salmon fisheries and general resources of Alaska. Washington: Govt. Printing Office, 1898. url p. 222.
- Syllogeus. Ottawa, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1972-1995. url p. 18.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 14, p. 176, p. 197, p. 450, p. 557, p. 573, p. 6, p. 676.
- The Galathea Deep Sea Expedition, 1950-1952, described by members of the expedition / edited by Anton F. Bruun. .. [et al.], translated from the Danish by Reginald Spink. New York, : Macmillan,  url p. 236, p. 294.
- The Zoological journal. London: W. Phillips, 1824- url p. 358, p. 358, p. 530.
- The animal kingdom arranged in conformity with its organization. London: Whittaker, 1827. url p. 76.
- The birds of North America: one hundred and nineteen artistic colored plates representing the different species and varieties drawn and colored from nature: including a copious text giving a popular account of their habits and 1903 New York: Published under the auspices of the Natural Science Association of America, 1903. url p. 116.
- The birds of the Japanese Empire. London, R. H. Porter, 1890. url , , , , p. 281, p. 282, p. 380.
- The seal-islands of Alaska / by Henry W. Elliott. Washington: G.P.O., 1881. url p. 113, p. 134, p. 175, p. 175.
- The seal-islands of Alaska. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1881. url p. 134.
- The voyage of the Vega round Asia and Europe; with a historical review of previous journeys along the north coast of the Old World, by A.E. Nordenkiöld, tr. by Alexander Leslie, with five steel portraits, numerous maps, and illustrations. New York, Macmillan and Co., 1882. url p. 617.
- The water birds of North America. By S. F. Baird, T. M. Brewer and R. Ridgway. Issued in continuation of the publications of the Geological survey of California. J. D. Whitney, state geologist. Boston, Little, Brown, and Company, 1884. url p. 532.
- The zoology of Captain Beechey's voyage; comp. from the collections and notes made by Captain Beechey, the officers and naturalist of the expedition, during a voyage to the Pacific and Behring's Straits performed in His Majesty's ship Blosso London, H.G. Bohn, 1839. url .
- Zoologist. London.1843-1916 url p. 4605.
- BirdLife International 2009. Fratercula cirrhata. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloadedon 01February2012.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 10, 2012.
- IUCN 2012. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. . Downloaded on January 28, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal December 09, 2007:
- Avian Knowledge Network, Macaulay Library - Video Data
- Avian Knowledge Network, eBird
- Bernice Pauahi Bishop Museum, Bishop Museum Natural History Specimen Data
- Borror Laboratory of Bioacoustics, Borror Laboratory of Bioacoustics
- Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility, Provincial Museum of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada. Birds
- Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility, Royal British Columbia Museum
- Canadian Museum of Nature, Canadian Museum of Nature Bird Collection
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University, SEAMAP - marine mammals, birds and turtles
- Marine Science Institute, UCSB, Paleobiology Database
- Museum of Vertebrate Zoology, Terrestrial vertebrate specimens
- New Brunswick Museum, NBM birds
- Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History, Santa Barbara Musem of Natural History
- UCLA-Dickey Bird Collection
- , Bird specimens
- University of Michigan Museum of Zoology
- , Bird specimens
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 8432
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-177032
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 13809040
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 177032
- IUCN ID: 210013
- Natural Heritage Network Species Identifier: ABNNN12010
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 13028