Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Dutch:
Common Names in English:
Horned Lark, Horned Lark (Eastern dark Group), Horned Lark (Western pale Group), Horned Lark (Western rufous Group), life bird, northern horned lark, prarie bird, prarie horned lark, road chippie, road lark, road trotter, Shore Lark, spring bird, wheat bird, winter horned lark
Common Names in French:
Alouette hausse-col, Alouette haussecol
Common Names in German:
Common Names in Hebrew:
Common Names in Italian:
Common Names in Japanese:
Common Names in Russian:
Rogaty Zhavoronok, Жаворонок рогатый, Рогатый жаворонок
Common Names in Spanish:
Alondra cornuda, Alondra Cornuda Lapona
Common Names in Swedish:
Adult : Head : Crown: black bordering brown with small horn-like tufts Face : yellowish or white Forehead: yellowish or white Lores : black Bill: black Neck: Throat : pale yellow to white Body: Back: brown Chest: white with black bib Flanks: sandy buff wash Rump : brown Sides: sandy buff wash Underparts: white Tail: black with white outer feathers.
About 6.5 to 8 inches long, with a wingspan of 12.5 to 14 inches. Adults weigh about 1.1 ounces .
Usually seen in agricultural fields and pastures, and on sandy beaches.
Vegetation: northern temperate grasslands, arid lowland scrubs, pastures and agricultural lands, arid lowland scrubs • Maximum Elevation: 3,750 meters • Foraging Strata: Terrestrial • Center of Abundance: Upper subtropical: higher slopes, 500-1,600 m.; subtropics. • Sensitivity to Disturbance: Low
List of Habitats
- 3 Shrubland
- 3.3 Shrubland - Boreal
- 3.5 Shrubland - Subtropical/Tropical Dry
- 4 Grassland
- 4.2 Grassland - Subarctic
- 4.4 Grassland - Temperate
- 4.7 Grassland - Subtropical/Tropical High Altitude
- 12 Marine Intertidal
- 12.2 Marine Intertidal - Sandy Shoreline and/or Beaches, Sand Bars , Spits , Etc
- 13 Marine Coastal/Supratidal
- 13.3 Marine Coastal/Supratidal - Coastal Sand Dunes
- 14 Artificial/Terrestrial
- 14.1 Artificial/Terrestrial - Arable Land
- 14.2 Artificial/Terrestrial - Pastureland [more info]
Primarily: Seeds. Lesser Quantities of: Insects.
from March to July.
- Breeding Habitat : Grassland
- Nest Location: Ground-low nesting
- Nest Type: Open-cup
- Clutch Size: 3-5
- Length of Incubation : 11-12 days
- Days to Fledge : 9-12
- Number of Broods: 1 in north, 2(3?) in south
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Bateson, 1885
- Cuvier, 1812
- Jawed Vertebrates
- Goodrich, 1930
- Linnaeus, 1758
- Gauthier, 1986
- (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Pycraft, 1900
- Sibley et al., 1988
- Order: Passeriformes () - C. Linnaeus, 1758
- Superorder: Passerimorphae () - Sibley et al., 1988
- Cohort: Neognathae () - Pycraft, 1900
- Infraclass: Aves () - (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Subclass: Avialae () - Gauthier, 1986
- Class: Aves () - Linnaeus, 1758
- Superclass: Tetrapoda () - Goodrich, 1930
- Infraphylum: Gnathostomata () - auct. - Jawed Vertebrates
- Subphylum: Vertebrata () - Cuvier, 1812 - Vertebrates
- Phylum: Chordata () - Bateson, 1885 - Chordates
- Infrakingdom: Chordonia () - (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Deuterostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Eremophila alpestris (Linnaeus, 1758) • Eremophila alpestris Linnaeus 1758 • Eromophila alpestris • Eromophila alpestris (Linnaeus, 1758)
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 17-Oct-2001
Members of the genus Eremophila
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 30 species and subspecies in this genus:
(Horned Lark (Western Rufous Group)) · (California Horned Lark) · (Horned Lark) · (Horned Lark) · (Horned Lark) · (Horned Lark) · (Horned Lark) · (Horned Lark) · (Horned Lark) · (Horned Lark) · (Horned Lark) · (Horned Lark) · (Horned Lark) · (Horned Lark (Flava)) · (Horned Lark) · (Horned Lark) · (Horned Lark) · (Horned Lark) · (Horned Lark) · (Horned Lark) · (Horned Lark) · (Horned Lark) · (Horned Lark) · (Horned Lark) · (Horned Lark) · (Horned Lark) · (Horned Lark) · (Horned Lark) · (Horned Lark) · (Temminck's Lark)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A List of birds' eggs in the collection of Mr. William Stoate, Wembdon, Bridgewater. [188-?] url p. 88.
- A catalogue of the birds of Kansas. By N. S. Goss. Published under the direction of the Executive council. Topeka: Kansas Publishing house, 1883. url p. 16.
- A check list of North American birds. Boston: Estes and Lauriat, 1882. url p. 157, p. 32.
- A check list of North-American birds by Elliott Coues. Salem, Mass.: F.W. Putnam, 1879. url , .
- A checklist of the vertebrate animals of Kansas / George D. Potts, Joseph T. Collins. [Lawrence, Kan.]: Museum of Natural History, University of Kansas, 1991. url p. 14.
- A consideration of some ornithological literature: with extracts from current criticism: I. 1876-1883 / by L.S. Foster. New York: s.n., 1894. url p. 36.
- A distributional list of the birds of Arizona / by Harry S. Swarth. Hollywood, Calif.: Cooper Ornithological Club, 1914. url p. 44.
- A guide to the birds of Nepal Christopher Helm (Publishers) Ltd. url p. 213.
- A hand-list of British birds, with an account of the distribution of each species in the British Isles and abroad. By Ernst Hartert, F. C. R. Jourdain, N. F. Ticehurst and H. F. Withersby. London, Witherby, 1912. url p. 32.
- A history of British birds, London, Pub. for the author by R. H. Porter [etc.]1883-85. url .
- A history of British birds, with coloured illustrations of their eggs. By Henry Seebohm. London, Pub. for the author by R. H. Porter [etc.]1883-85. url p. 284.
- A history of North American birds / by S. F. Baird, T. M. Brewer, and R. Ridgway. Boston: Little, Brown, 1905. url p. 139, p. 141.
- A history of North American birds land birds / by S. F. Baird, T.M. Brewer, and R. Ridgway. Boston: Little, Brown, 1874. url p. 141, p. 141.
- A history of North American birds, by S.F. Baird, T.M. Brewer, and R. Ridgway. Land birds, illustrated by 64 chromo-lithographic plates and 593 woodcuts. Boston, Little, Brown, 1875. url p. 139, p. 141.
- A history of the birds of Colorado, London, Witherby & Co., 1912. url .
- A history of the birds of Europe: including all the species inhabiting the western palaearctic region / London: Published by the Author, 1871-1881. url p. 387.
- A list of the birds of Hudson highlands: with annotations / by Edgar A. Mearns. [s.l.: s.n.], 1878-1881. url p. 112, p. 21.
- A manual of the vertebrate animals of the northern United States, including the district north and east of the Ozark mountains, south of the Laurentian hills, north of the southern boundary of Virgini by David Starr Jordan. Chicago: A.C. McClurg, 1910. url p. 276.
- A monograph of the phyllopod crustacea of North America, with remarks on the order of phyllocarida / by A.S. Packard. S.l.: s.n., 1877 url , .
- A multi-scale analysis linking prairie breeding birds to site and landscape factors including USGS GAP data / Helena, Mont.: Montana Natural Heritage Program, c2007. url .
- A naturalist in the Magdalen Islands: giving a description of the islands and a list of the birds taken there, with other ornithological notes / Boston: C.B. Cory, 1878 url .
- A practical handbook of British birds, edited by H.F. Witherby. .. London, Witherby, 1920-24. url p. 523, p. 523.
- A preliminary catalog of the birds of Missouri / St. Louis: Academy of Science of St. Louis, 1907. url , .
- A review of the birds of Connecticut / by C. Hart Merriam. New Haven, [Conn.]: Tuttle, Morehouse & Taylor, Printers, 1877. url p. 11, p. 142, p. 144, p. 155.
- A revised list of Cincinnati birds. Cincinnati, Barclay, 1879. url .
- Acta Societatis pro Fauna et Flora Fennica. Helsinki: Societas, 1875-1980. url p. 118, p. 18, p. 242, p. 27, p. 32, p. 33, p. 40, p. 44, p. 54, p. 71.
- Animal Ecology. Englewood Cliffs, N.J., Prentice-Hall, 1961. url p. 457.
- Animal life in deserts, a study of the fauna in relation to the environment. LondonE. Arnold1923 url p. 111, p. 140.
- Annals of the Lyceum of Natural History of New York. New-York: 1824-1876. url p. 6.
- Annual report of the Board of Regents of the Smithsonian Institution. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, -1965. url p. 132, p. 154, p. 86, p. 86.
- Annual report of the Ohio State Academy of Science. Columbus: The Academy, 1893-1930. url p. 124.
- Annual report of the Secretary of the State Board of Agriculture of the State of Michigan. .. Lansing: The Board, 1862- url p. 210.
- Annual report. United States Geological and Geographical Survey of the Territories. 1st-12th, 1867-1878. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1867-83. url , , p. 627, p. 652, p. 808, p. 809.
- Ardea. Amsterdam, etc., Nederlandse Ornithlogische Unie, etc. url p. 131, p. 195.
- Biosphere Reserves, Compilation 5, October 1990: programme on man and the biosphere (MAB) IUCN url p. 134.
- Bird blow flies (Protocalliphora) in North America (Diptera: Calliphoridae), with notes on the Palearctic species / Curtis W. Sabrosky, Gordon F. Bennett, and Terry L. Whitworth. Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Press, c1989. url p. 235.
- Bird life in Labrador. n.p., 189-? url p. 15.
- Bird populations in east central Illinois: fluctuations, variations, and development over a half-century / Champaign: University of Illinois Press, c1982. url p. 134.
- Birds of Massachusetts [by] J.A. Allen. [n.p.]1864-1886. url p. 119, p. 82.
- Birds of Michigan. By A. J. Cook. Lansing, Mich., R. Smith & co., state printers and binders, 1893 url p. 19.
- Birds of Michigan. Lansing, Mich., R. Smith & Co., State Printers and Binders, 1893 url .
- Birds of the Chukchi Peninsula and Wrangel Island = (Ptitsy Chukotskogo poluostrova i ostrova Vrangelya) / L.A. Portenko; translated from Russian [by P.M. Rao]. New Delhi: Published for the Smithsonian Institution and the National Science Foundation, Washington, D.C., by Amerind Pub. Co., 1981- url .
- Birds of the Colorado Valley: a repository of scientific and popular information concerning North American ornithology / by Elliott Coues. Washington: G.P.O., 1878. url p. 186, p. 187, p. 188, p. 688.
- Birds of the Colorado valley. .. scientific and popular information concerning North American ornithology. Washington, Gov't print. off., 1878. url p. 186, p. 188, p. 688.
- Birds of the Northwest: a hand-book of the ornithology of the region drained by the Missouri River and its tributaries / by Elliott Coues. Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1874. url p. 37, p. 38, p. 39.
- Brigham Young University science bulletin. 12 1970 Provo, Utah: Brigham Young University, [1955-1976] url p. 2, p. 21, p. 29, p. 29, p. 3, p. 3, p. 32.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url p. 112, p. 125, p. 144, p. 177, p. 259, p. 263, p. 268, p. 30, p. 301, p. 302, p. 303, p. 305, p. 306, p. 307, p. 308, p. 309, p. 310, p. 312, p. 313, p. 314, p. 316, p. 317, p. 319, p. 320, p. 321, p. 322, p. 323, p. 324, p. 325, p. 394, p. 396, p. 41, p. 58, p. 64, p. 69, p. 936, p. 948.
- Bulletin / Peabody Museum of Natural History. 1971 New Haven: Peabody Museum of Natural History, url appendix b , appendix b , p. 183, p. 183, p. 48, fig. 7.
- Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History). London: BM(NH) url p. 159, p. 237.
- Bulletin of the British Ornithologists' Club. London: The Club, 1893- url p. 146, p. 155, p. 156, p. 76, p. 81, p. 86, p. 94.
- Bulletin of the Essex Institute. Salem, Mass., Essex Institute. url p. 11, p. 12, p. 13, p. 152, p. 172, p. 183, p. 32, p. 37, p. 46, p. 47, p. 49, p. 92.
- Bulletin of the Museum of Comparative Zoology at Harvard College. 3 1872 Cambridge, Mass.: The Museum, 1863- url p. 127, p. 133, p. 135, p. 142, p. 143, p. 145, p. 149, p. 156, p. 167, p. 176, p. 410, p. 410, p. 424, p. 620, index, p. -656, page 637, p. 650.
- Bulletin of the Nuttall Ornithological Club. Cambridge, Mass.: The Club, [1876-1883] url p. 163, p. 165, p. 166, p. 189, p. 193, p. 201, p. 203, p. 211, p. 223, p. 248, p. 54, p. 56, p. 81, p. 92.
- Bulletin of the United States Geological and Geographical Survey of the Territories / Department of the Interior. Washington: Government Printing Office, 1874- url , p. 224, p. 384, p. 594, p. 596, p. 597, p. 647, p. 648, p. 649, p. 650, p. 835, p. 9.
- Bulletin. Salem, Mass. url p. 11, p. 110, p. 12, p. 152, p. 155, p. 16, p. 172, p. 183, p. 19, p. 192, p. 20, p. 24, p. 32, p. 32, p. 37, p. 46, p. 47, p. 49, p. 92.
- California fish and game. [San Francisco, etc.]: State of California, Resources Agency, Dept. of Fish and Game. url , p. 127.
- Canada's missing dimension: science and history in the Canadian Arctic Islands / Ottawa: Canadian Museum of Nature, 1990. url p. 521, p. 527, p. 843.
- Catalogue and index of the publications of the Hayden, King, Powell, and Wheeler surveys: namely geological and geographical survey of the territories, geological exploration of the fortieth parallel, geographical and geological surveys of the Rocky Mountain region, geographical surveys we Washington: G.P.O., 1904. url , , , , , .
- Catalogue of Canadian birds. .. Ottawa, Printed by S. E. Dawson, 1900-04. url .
- Catalogue of birds of the Americas and the adjacent islands in Field Museum of Natural History. by Charles E. Hellmayr. 13 1935 Chicago: Field Museum of Natural History, 1935. url p. 3.
- Catalogue of scientific papers (1800-1900) Comp. by the Royal society of London. Cambridge, C. J. Clay and sons, 1867-1902; url p. 408, p. 503.
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. Compiled by the Royal Society of London. London, C.J. Clay and Sons, 1867-1902 [etc.] Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1914-25. url p. 408, p. 503.
- Catalogue of the Birds in the British Museum. London, 1874-98. url p. 538, p. 540, p. 542, p. 546, p. 549.
- Catalogue of the Collection of Birds' Eggs in the British Museum / By E. W. Oates [and afterwards] by S. G. Reid [and] W. R. Ogilvie-Grant. London, 1901-12. url p. 114.
- Catalogue of the collection of birds' eggs in the British Museum (Natural History) London, Printed by order of the Trustees, 1901-12. url p. 114.
- Check-list and bibliography on the occurrence of insects in birds' nests. Ames, Iowa State College Press url p. 667.
- Check-list of North American birds, New York, American ornithologists' union, 1910. url .
- Check-list of North American birds. [Ithaca, N.Y.]1957. url p. 352, p. 356, p. 657, p. 658, p. 659, p. 667, p. 669, p. 671, p. 672, p. 673, p. 674, p. 676, p. 678, p. 681, p. 683, p. 685, p. 686, p. 689.
- Check-list of North American birds: the species of birds of North America from the Arctic through Panama, including the West Indies and Hawaiian Islands / prepared by the Committee on Classification and Nomenclature of the American Orni Lawrence, Kan.: American Ornithologists' Union, 1983. url p. 489, p. 804, p. 829.
- Check-list of birds of the world. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1931-1987. url p. 72, p. 73, p. 74, p. 78.
- Cruise of the revenue steamer Corwin in Alaska and the N. W. Arctic ocean in 1881. .. Notes and memoranda. .. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1883. url p. 74, p. 74.
- Cruise of the revenue-steamer Corwin in Alaska and the N.W. Arctic Ocean in 1881: notes and memoranda: medical and anthropological, botanical, ornithological. Washington: G.P.O., 1883. url p. 74.
- Elements of zoölogy: a textbook / by Sanborn Tenney; illustrated by 750 wood engravings. New York: Scribner, c1875. url p. 161.
- Elkhorn Slough Estuarine Sanctuary: proposed estuarine sanctuary grant award for Elkhorn Slough, Monterey County, California / Washington: U.S. Govt. Print. Off., 1979? url .
- Fauna of the Aleutian Islands and Alaska Peninsula, by Olaus J. Murie. Invertebrates and fishes collected in the Aleutians, 1936-38, by Victor B. Scheffer. Washington, Dept. of the Interior, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, 1959 url .
- Ferruginous hawk (Buteo regalis) inventories on the Dillon Resource Area of southwest Montana; 1992 / by Eric C. Atkinson for the Bureau of Land Management, Dillon Resource Area. Helena, MT: Montana Natural Heritage Program,  url , p. 19, p. 36.
- Field and forest. [Washington: Columbia Press, 1875-1878]. url p. 208, p. 80.
- Field ornithology comprising a manual of instruction for procuring, preparing and preserving birds and a check list of North American birds / by Elliott Coues. Boston: Estes & Lauriat, 1874. url .
- Field ornithology. Comprising a manual of instruction for procuring, preparing and preserving birds, and a check list of North American birds, by Elliott Coues. Salem [Mass.]Naturalists' Agency, 1874. url p. 15.
- Fishery bulletin. United States Fish and Wildlife Service. Washington, The Service, U.S. Govt Print. Off. url p. 533.
- Fishery circular / U.S. Department of Commerce, Bureau of Fisheries. [Washington]: The Bureau, 1931-1939. url p. 88.
- "Forest and Stream" bird notes. An index and summary of all the ornithological matter contained in "Forest and Stream." Vols. I-XII. New York, Forest and Stream Publishing Co., 1881. url .
- "Forest and stream" bird notes. An index and summary of all the ornithological matter contained in "Forest and Stream." Vols. I-XII. Compiled by H.B. Bailey. New York, Forest and Stream, 1881. url p. 57, p. 83.
- Great Basin naturalist memoirs. 1976 [Provo, Utah]Brigham Young University, 1976-1992. url p. 129, p. 155, p. 213, p. 217, p. 219, p. 220, p. 221, p. 222, p. 228, p. 265, p. 78.
- Ibis. [London]Published for the British Ornithologists' Union by Academic Press. url p. 220, p. 291, p. 592.
- Illinois River Bluffs area assessment / Illinois Department of Natural Resources, Office of Scientific Research and Analysis, [and the] State Geological Survey Division. Springfield, Ill.: Illinois Dept. of Natural Resources, 1998- url p. 76.
- Joy of nature: how to observe and appreciate the great outdoors / [editor, Alma E. Guinness]. Pleasantville, N.Y.: Reader's Digest Association, c1977. url p. 333.
- Key to North American birds. Containing a concise account of every species of living and fossil bird at present known from the continent north of the Mexican and United States boundary, inclusive of Greenland and Lower California Boston, Estes and Lauriat, 1896. url , p. 868.
- Life and sport on the north shore of the lower St. Lawrence and Gulf, containing chapters on salmon fishing, trapping, the folk-lore of the Montagnais Indians and tales of adventure on the fringe of the Labrador peninsula. By Napoleon A. Comeau. Quebec, Daily Telegraph Printing House, 1909. url p. 418.
- List of the vertebrated animals now or lately living in the gardens of the Zoological Society of London. London, Printed for the Society1879. url p. 225.
- Lund easement baseline biological inventory / Helena, Mont.: Montana Natural Heritage Program, c2001 url .
- MAB Information System: Biosphere Reserves, Compilation 4, October 1986: Supplement January 1988 UNESCO, IUCN Conservation Monitoring Centre url .
- Mammals of the Soviet Union / V.G. Heptner, A.A. Nasimovich, and A.G. Bannikov; scientific editor, Robert S. Hoffmann. Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Libraries and National Science Foundation, 1988- url p. 430.
- Management plan, Robb/Ledford wildlife management area. [Helena]:Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks,  url .
- Manual of the vertebrates of the northern United States, including the district east of the Mississippi River, and north of North Carolina and Tennessee, exclusive of marine species. Chicago, Jansen, McClurg, 1880[c1878] url .
- Memoirs of the San Diego Society of Natural History. 13 1984 San Diego, Calif.: The Society, 1931-1989. url map 53, page 137, p. 252, p. 269, p. xvi.
- Michigan bird life, a list of all the bird species known to occur in the state together with an outline of their classification and an account of the life history of each species, wtih special reference to its relation t [Lansing]Michigan Agricultural College, 1912. url , , .
- Michigan bird life: a list of all the bird species known to occur in the State together with an outline of their classification and an account of the life history of each species, with special reference to its relation t by Walter Bradford Barrows. Lansing: Michigan Agricultural College, 1912. url p. 407, p. 766, p. 802.
- Migration of birds. by Frederick C. Linclon; revised by Steven R. Peterson; associate editor Peter A. Anastasi; illustrated by Bob Hines. Washington: Dept. of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service: for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off., 1979. url p. 117.
- Miscellaneous publication - University of Kansas, Museum of Natural History. 1958 Lawrence: University of Kansas, 1946-1996. url p. 167, p. 28, p. 35, p. 37, p. 4, p. 85, p. 86.
- Museum bulletin / Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1908-1916. url p. 357.
- Nature. London, etc., Macmillan Journals Ltd., etc. url p. 45.
- Nests and eggs of American birds. By Ernest Ingersoll. Parts 1-7. Salem, Mass., S.E. Cassino[c1880] url p. 87.
- New England bird life: being a manual of New England ornithology; rev. and ed. from the manuscript of Winfrid A. Stearns. .. by Dr. Elliott Coues. .. Boston, C.T. Dillingham, 1881-83. url p. 102, p. 102, p. 102, p. 103, p. 103, p. 103, p. 323, p. 323, p. 323.
- Nomenclature of North American birds chiefly contained in the United States National Museum. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1881. url , .
- North American fauna. Washington: Fish and Wildlife Service; for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U. S. Govt. Print. Off. url , p. 103, p. 208, p. 212, p. 393, p. 393, p. 45.
- Occasional papers of the Museum of Natural History, the University of Kansas. 1975 Lawrence, Kan.: The University, 1971-1994. url p. 13.
- Opinions and declarations rendered by the International Commission on Zoological Nomenclature. London, Printed by order of the International Trust for Zoological Nomenclature. url p. 227, p. 229, p. 233.
- Ornithological bibliography. [Washington: Geological Survey [etc.], 1878-1880. url p. 647, p. 648, p. 649, p. 650.
- Ornithologist and oo?logist Pawtucket, R.I. url p. 10, p. 127, p. 74, p. 87.
- Osteology of birds, by R.W. Shufeldt. Albany, University of the State of New York, 1909. url p. 357.
- Our birds in their haunts a popular treatise on the birds of eastern North America / by J. Hibbert Langille. Boston: S.E. Cassino, 1884. url .
- Our birds in their haunts: a popular treatise on the birds of eastern North America / New York: Orange Judd, 1892, c1884. url .
- Our living resources: a report to the nation on the distribution, abundance, and health of U.S. plants, animals, and ecosystems / [edited by], Edward T. LaRoe. .. [et al.]. Washington, DC: U.S. Dept. of the Interior, National Biological Service, 1995. url p. 297, p. 303.
- Our living world; an artistic edition of the Rev. J. G. Wood's Natural history of animate creation. New York: S. Hess,  url p. 654.
- P.D. Skaar's Montana bird distribution / revised by the Montana Bird Distribution Committee. [Helena, MT]:Montana Natural Heritage Program, 1996 url p. 73.
- Pacific coast avifauna / Cooper Ornithnological Club of California. Santa Clara, Calif.: The Club, 1900-1974. url p. 198, p. 44, p. 86, p. 86, p. 95.
- Part I. Palæontology. By F. B. Meek. Part II. Palæontology. By James Hall and R. P. Whitfield. Part III. Ornithology. By Robert Ridgway... Washington, Govt. print. off., 1877. url p. 363, p. 388, p. 498, p. 499.
- Postilla. 1968 New Haven, Conn.: Peabody Museum of Natural History, [1950?]-c2004. url p. 29.
- Potential wildlife-highway interactions at select mile-markers along Montana Department of Transportation routes an ArcView GIS analysis / Bozeman, Mont.: Fish and Wildlife Management Program, Montana State University, 2001 url .
- Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia, Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia url p. 348, p. 519, p. 519, p. 97.
- Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington. Washington, Biological Society of Washington url p. 169, p. 172.
- Proceedings of the Entomological Society of Washington. Washington, etc.: Entomological Society of Washington url p. 167.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. 6 1883 Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 116, p. 185, p. 423, p. 499, p. 508, p. 820.
- Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London. London: Academic Press, [etc.], 1833-1965. url p. 837.
- Proposed estuarine sanctuary grant award to the state of New York for a Hudson River estuarine sanctuary. Albany, N.Y.: New York, Dept. of Environmental Conservation,  url p. 123.
- Publications in zoology = Publications en zoologie. Ottawa: National Museums of Canada, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1970-1982. url p. 101, p. 15, p. 19, p. 53.
- Report of the Geological Exploration of the Fortieth Parallel, made by order of the Secretary of War according to acts of Congress of March 2, 1867, and March 3, 1869 / Washington: Government Printing Office, 1870-1880. url p. 338, p. 342, p. 345, p. 352, p. 357, p. 363, p. 388, p. 498.
- Report of the Geological Survey of Ohio. Columbus, Nevins & Myers, state printers, 1873-93. url , .
- Report of the Geological exploration of the fortieth parallel made by order of the Secretary of War according to acts of Congress of March 2, 1867, and March 3, 1869, under the direction of. .. A.A. Humphreys, chief of engineers, by Clarence King, U.S. geologist Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1870-80 url p. 352, p. 363, p. 498, p. 499.
- Report of the Secretary of the Smithsonian Institution and financial report of the Executive Committee of the Board of Regents for the year ending June 30. .. Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution, 1933-1965. url p. 126, p. 151, p. 154.
- Report of the United States Entomological Commission. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1878-90. url p. 18, p. 285.
- Report of the geological exploration of the fortieth parallel / Washington, D.C.: G.P.O., 1870-80 url p. 338, p. 348, p. 351, p. 352, p. 357, p. 363, p. 373, p. 498, p. 655.
- Report upon United States Geographical Surveys West of the One Hundredth Meridian / Washington [D.C.]: G.P.O., 1875-1889. url , p. 309, p. 501.
- Report upon ornithological specimens collected in the years 1871, 1872, and 1873 / U. S. Army, Engineer Dept., Geographical and Geological Explorations and Surveys West of the One hundredth Meridian; [by H.C. Yarrow and H.W. Henshaw]. Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1874. url p. 19, p. 45.
- Report upon the ornithological collections made in portions of Nevade, Utah, California, Colorado, New Mexico, and Arizona, during the years 1871, 1872, 1873, and 1874, by H.W. Henshaw. Washington, D.C., 1875 url p. 309, p. 310, p. 981.
- Reports of explorations and surveys, to ascertain the most practicable and economical route for a railroad from the Mississippi River to the Pacific Ocean. Made under the direction of the secretary of war, in 1853-. .. Washington, A.O.P. Nicholson, Printer [etc.]1855-60. url p. 404, p. 404.
- Revised list of the vertebrated animals now or lately living in the gardens of the Zoological society of London. 1872. London, Printed for the Society,  url p. 153.
- Revue méthodique et critique des collections déposées dans cet établissement. Leyden, Rijksmuseum van Natuurlijke Historie. url p. 347.
- Robb/Ledford Wildlife management area: draft management plan. Helena, MT: Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks, 1999 url .
- Rural bird life: being essays on ornithology with instructions for preserving objects relating to that science / by Charles Dixon; with forty-five illustrations and a preface by Elliott Coues. Boston: Estes and Lauriat, c1880. url .
- Smithsonian miscellaneous collections. 22 1882 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1862-1968. url p. 185, p. 218, p. 410, p. 423, p. 90.
- South Carolina. Resources and population. Institutions and industries. Pub. by the State Board of Agriculture of South Carolina. Charleston, S.C.: Walker, Evans & Cogswell, printers, 1883. url p. 222.
- Special scientific report--wildlife / U.S. Department of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service. Washington, D.C.: The Service, 1949- url p. 12, p. 17, p. 2, p. 5, p. 8.
- Station bulletin. Durham, N.H.: Agricultural Experiment Station, University of New Hampshire, 1948- url p. 49, p. 63.
- Syllogeus. Ottawa, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1972-1995. url p. 12, p. 24, p. 33.
- The Annals of Scottish natural history. Edinburgh: David Douglas, 1892-1911. url p. 139.
- The Auk. Washington, D.C.: American Ornithologists' Union, etc., 1884- url , p. 121, p. 132, p. 160, p. 17, p. 179, p. 189, p. 217, p. 289, p. 328, p. 358, p. 398, p. 409, p. 469.
- The British bird book: an account of all the birds, nests and eggs found in the British Isles / ed. by F.B. Kirkman. Illustrated by two hundred drawings and numerous photographs. London: T.C. & E.C. Jack, 1910-13. url p. 203.
- The Bulletin of zoological nomenclature. London, International Trust for Zoological Nomenclature. url p. 103, p. 357, p. 358.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. 71 1957 Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 107, p. 110, p. 113, p. 12, p. 120, p. 121, p. 127, p. 139, p. 140, p. 140, p. 146, p. 15, p. 15, p. 175, p. 176, p. 179, p. 182, p. 187, p. 19, p. 191, p. 191, p. 197, p. 205, p. 209, p. 210, p. 215, p. 223, p. 225, p. 232, p. 233, p. 249, p. 263, p. 264, p. 268, p. 272, p. 273, p. 28, p. 289, p. 304, p. 308, p. 31, p. 345, p. 348, p. 352, p. 376, p. 388, p. 4, p. 401, p. 405, p. 408, p. 41, p. 423, p. 427, p. 429, p. 430, p. 433, p. 440, p. 464, p. 471, p. 49, p. 498, p. 5, p. 505, p. 519, p. 530, p. 555, p. 556, p. 563, p. 57, p. 572, p. 572, p. 58, p. 58, p. 593, p. 604, p. 616, p. 627, p. 630, p. 632, p. 633, p. 666, p. 679, p. 690, p. 695, p. 725, p. 735, p. 739, p. 744, p. 76, p. 769, p. 77, p. 78, p. 780, p. 89, p. 89, p. 93, p. 95.
- The Coues check list of North American birds [Elliott Coues]. Boston: Estes and Lauriat, 1882. url .
- The Great Basin naturalist. 58 1998 Provo, Utah: M.L. Bean Life Science Museum, Brigham Young University, 1939-1999. url belthoff, powers & reynolds, page 167, p. 171, p. 250, p. 252, p. 275, p. 296, richards, page 30, apa, uresk & linder, page 301, p. 302, p. 452, p. 46, p. 499, p. 518, p. 520, p. 55, p. 565, p. 567, p. 568, p. 570, p. 578, p. 59, p. 603, p. 651, p. 653, p. 69, p. 72, p. 720.
- The Journal of the Bombay Natural History Society. Bombay: The Society, url p. 241.
- The Journal of the Cincinnati Society of Natural History. Cincinnati: The Society, 1878/79 [i.e. 1878 or 1879]-1945. url p. 176.
- The Journal of the Linnean Society of London. London: Academic Press [etc.], 1865-1968. url p. 578.
- The Marine Mammal Commission compendium of selected treaties, international agreements, and other relevant documents on marine resources, wildlife, and the environment / compiled by Richard L. Wallace. Washington, D.C.: The Commission; 1994 url p. 3484, p. 689.
- The Oo?logist for the student of birds, their nests and eggs. Albion, N.Y.: Frank H. Lattin, 1886- url p. 4, p. 4, p. 42, p. 90.
- The Quarterly journal of the Boston Zoological Society. Boston: The Society, 1882-1884. url p. 12.
- The Scientific proceedings of the Royal Dublin Society. Dublin: The Society, 1877- url p. 197, p. 218, p. 79.
- The Sunny South oölogist. Gainesville, Tex.: E.C. Davis, 1886. url p. 31.
- The University of Kansas science bulletin. 37 1956 [Lawrence]: University of Kansas, 1902-1996. url p. 1217, p. 1278, p. 1280, p. 1370.
- The birds of North America: one hundred and nineteen artistic colored plates representing the different species and varieties drawn and colored from nature: including a copious text giving a popular account of their habits and 1903 New York: Published under the auspices of the Natural Science Association of America, 1903. url p. 166.
- The birds of Washington: a complete, scientific and popular account of the 372 species of birds found in the state / by William Leon Dawson, assisted by John Hooper Bowles. Illustrated by more than 300 original half-tones of birds in life, nests, eggs, and favorite haunts, from photographs by the author and others, Seattle: Occidental Pub. Co., 1909. url p. 215.
- The birds of eastern North America: with original descriptions of all the species which occur east of the Mississippi River, between the Arctic circle and the Gulf of Mexico, with full notes upon their habits, etc. / by C. J. Maynard; Newtonville, Mass.: Maynard, 1881. url p. 505.
- The birds of the Chicago area / [Chicago, Jennings and Graham], 1907. url .
- The birds of the Chicago area, by Frank Morley Woodruff. .. [Chicago, Printed by Jennings and Graham]1907. url p. 119.
- The birds of the west of Scotland: including the outer Hebrides, with occasional records of the occurrence of the rarer species throughout Scotland generally / by Robert Gray. Glasgow: T. Murray & Son, 1871. url p. 119.
- The code of nomenclature and check-list of North American birds adopted by the American Ornithologists' Union; being the report of the Committee of the Union on Classification and Nomenclature. New York, 1886. url p. 238, p. 238.
- The ecology of Tijuana Estuary, California: a national estuarine research reserve / by Joy B. Zedler, Christopher S. Nordby and Barbara E. Kus. [Washington, D.C.: NOAA Office of Coastal Resource Management, Sanctuaries and Reserves Division], 1992. url p. 30.
- The natural history of the USSR / Algirdas Knystautas; foreword by Vladimir Flint; [translation, John S. Scott]. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1987. url p. 46.
- The naturalist's guide in collecting and preserving objects of natural history: with a complete catalogue of the birds of eastern Massachusetts / by C.J. Maynard; with illustrations by E.L. Weeks. Boston: S.E. Cassino & Co., 1883, c1877. url p. 121.
- The oist. Albion, N.Y.: Frank H. Lattin, 1886-1941. url p. 42.
- The oo?logist. Rockville, Conn.J.M. Wade, [1875-1881]. url p. 71.
- The oologists' hand-book: 1885 catalogue of American birds' eggs, and oological supplies, with prices at which they may be obtained of / Frank H. Lattin. Rochester (N.Y.): John P. Smith, Printer, 1885. url p. 28.
- The ornithology of Illinois / [by Robert Ridgway and S.A. Forbes]. Springfield, Ill., H.W. Rokker, printer, 1889-1895. url p. 338.
- The ornithology of Illinois. Part I. Descriptive catalogue. By Robert Ridgway. Part II. Economic ornithology. By S. A. Forbes. Pub. by the authority of the state Legislature. Springfield, Ill., H. W. Rokker, printer, 1889-95. url p. 338, p. 338.
- The published writings of George Newbold Lawrence, 1844-1891 / by L. S. Foster. Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1892. url p. 69.
- The vertebrate skeleton from the developmental standpoint, by J. S. Kingsley. .. with 324 illustrations. Philadelphia, P. Blakiston's Son & Co.[c1925] url p. 56.
- Transactions - Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 276, p. 279, p. 45, p. 86.
- Transactions of the Academy of Science of St. Louis. [St. Louis: Academy of Science of St. Louis], 1860-1958. url p. 142, p. 142, p. 17, p. 20, p. 273, p. 273, p. 273, p. 5, p. 7, p. 8.
- Transactions of the Canadian Institute. Toronto: Canadian Institute. url p. 163.
- Transactions of the Connecticut Academy of Arts and Sciences. New Haven: Published by the Academy, 1866- url p. 11, p. 142, p. 142, p. 144, p. 144, p. 346, p. 346.
- Transactions of the Kansas Academy of Science. Topeka, Kan.: Geo. W. Martin url p. 106.
- Transactions of the New York Academy of Sciences. New York: New York Academy of Sciences. url p. 129.
- Transactions of the Wisconsin Academy of Sciences, Arts, and Letters. [Madison]Wisconsin Academy of Sciences, Arts, and Letters, 1870/72- url p. 185.
- University of Kansas publications, Museum of Natural History. 11 1958 Lawrence, University of Kansas. url p. 232, p. 31, p. 332, p. 335, p. 502, p. 507, p. 580, p. 615, p. 619, p. 621, p. 625, p. 635, p. 647, p. 655, p. 659, p. 660, p. 667, p. 680, p. 684, p. 685.
- Washington State Coastal Zone Management Program amendment no. 3: approval of the Grays Harbor estuary management plan: program draft environmental impact statement. [Olympia, Wash.?]: Grays Harbor Regional Planning Commission; 1983. url p. 7.
- Waste-land wanderings / by Charles C. Abbott. New York; Harper & brothers, 1887. url p. 306, p. 307.
- Waste-land wanderings, by Charles C. Abbott. New York, Harper & Brothers, 1887. url p. 306, p. 307.
- Waste-land wanderings. New York, Harper, 1887. url , .
- Zoogeography. A symposium presented on August 26-27, 1957 [under the prime auspices of the Pacific Section of the Society of Systematic Zoology] at the Stanford University joint meeting of the American Institute of Washington, 1958. url p. 429, p. 493.
- Zoologist. London.1843-1916 url p. 12, p. 123.
- Zoology of Colorado, by Theodore D.A. Cockerell. .. Boulder, Col., University of Colorado, 1927. url p. 80.
- BirdLife International 2009. Eremophila alpestris. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloadedon 31January2012.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 10, 2012.
- IUCN 2012. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. . Downloaded on January 28, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 26, 2007:
- Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility, North West Territories and Nunavut Bird Checklist, Canada
- Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility, Provincial Museum of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada. Birds
- Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility, Royal British Columbia Museum
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 6457
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-554256
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 2494459
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 554256
- IUCN ID: 208092
- Natural Heritage Network Species Identifier: ABPAT02010
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 13087