- Blister Beetles produce Cantharidin, a poisonous substance comparable to cyanide and strychnine in toxicity. The substance is very stable and remains toxic in dead beetles. Animals may be poisoned by ingesting beetles while grazing or eating harvested silage . Cantharidin can also cause severe skin inflammation and blisters. It is absorbed through the intestine and can cause symptoms such as inflammation, colic, straining, elevated temperature , depression , increased heart rate and respiration, dehydration , sweating , and diarrhea . There is frequent urination during the first 24 hours after ingestion , accompanied by inflammation of the urinary tract. This irritation may also result in secondary infection and bleeding . The concentration of cantharidin in adult beetles depends primarily on the sex; males produce the chemical and only pass on small amounts to the females during mating. Cantharidin amounts also depend on species; the striped blister beetle has approximately five times more catharidin than the black variety.
Common Names in English:
Black Blister Beetle
Blister Beetle adults feed on leaves in the tops of a plant but are especially attracted to flowers where they feed on nectar and pollen. These beetles are mid to late summer insects, active in mid-July and early August
Female blister beetles lay clusters of eggs in the soil in late summer. The small, active larvae that hatch from these eggs crawl over the soil surface entering cracks in search for grasshopper egg pods. On finding a grasshopper eggmass, the larvae become immobile and spend the rest of their larval time as legless grubs . The next summer they pupate soon emerge as adults . Blister beetle populations follow closely the abundance of grasshoppers the year previous.
- Chatton, 1925
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- A.M.A. Aguinaldo et al., 1997 ex T. Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Latreille, 1829
- Zrzavý et al., 1997
- Latreille, 1802
- Latreille, 1825
- Latreille, 1825
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- Fabricius, 1793
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- Suborder: Polyphaga () - Emery, 1886 - a genus of Blister Beetles (Meloidae)
- Order: Coleoptera () - C. Linnaeus, 1758
- Infraclass: Pterygota () - Fabricius, 1793
- Subclass: Dicondylia ()
- Class: Insecta () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - Insects
- Epiclass: Hexapoda () - Latreille, 1825
- Superclass: Hexapoda () - Latreille, 1825
- Infraphylum: Atelocerata () - Latreille, 1802
- Subphylum: Pancrustacea () - Zrzavý et al., 1997
- Phylum: Arthropoda () - Latreille, 1829 - Arthropods
- Superphylum: Panarthropoda () - Cuvier
- Infrakingdom: Ecdysozoa () - A.M.A. Aguinaldo et al., 1997 ex T. Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Protostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - Animals
Name Status: Accepted Name . Latest taxonomic scrutiny: 24-Jun-1996
Members of the genus Epicauta
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 12 species and subspecies in this genus:
E. ferruginea (Epicauta Ferruginea) · E. immaculata (Epicauta Immaculata) · E. lemniscata (Three-Striped Blister Beetle) · E. maculata (Spotted Blister Beetle) · E. murina (Dark Blister Beetle) · E. nigritarsis (Epicauta Nigritarsis) · E. pennsylvanica (Black Blister Beetle) · E. pensylvanica (Black Blister Beetle) · E. pestifera (Margined Blister Beetle*) · E. sericans (Epicauta Sericans) · E. valida (Epicauta Valida) · E. vittata (Old-Fashioned Potato Beetle)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- ... New species of North American Coleoptera. Prepared for the Smithsonian institution by John L. Le Conte Washington, Smithsonian institution, 1863 url p. 157.
- A manual for the study of insects / by John Henry Comstock and Anna Botsford Comstock. Ithaca, N.Y.: The Comstock Pub. Co., 1920. url p. 686.
- A manual for the study of insects, by John Henry Comstock. .. and Anna Botsford Comstock. .. Ithaca, N.Y., Comstock Publishing Company, 1916 [c1895] url p. 686.
- A manual for the study of insects. Rev. ed. By John Henry Comstock, and Anna Botsford Comstock, and Glenn W. Herrick. Ithaca, N. Y., Comstock Pub. Co., 1930. url p. 390.
- A manual of the study of insects, Ithaca, N.Y.: Comstock publishing company, 1895. url p. 588, p. 686.
- A text-book of entomology, including the anatomy, physiology, embryology and metamorphoses of insects, for use in agricultural and technical schools and colleges as well as by the working entomologist, by Alpheus S. Packard. .. New York, The Macmillan company;1898. url p. 695.
- An ecological study of prairie and forest invertebrates / by Charles C. Adams. Urbana, Ill.: Illinois State Laboratory of Natural History, 1915. url p. 110, p. 53.
- An introduction to entomology, by John Henry Comstock. Ithaca, New York, The Comstock publishing co., inc., 1933. url p. 1021.
- An introduction to entomology. Ithaca, N.Y., Comstock, 1949. url p. 1040.
- Animal communities in temperate America: as illustrated in the Chicago region; a study in animal ecology / by Victor E. Shelford. .. Chicago, Ill.: Published for the Geographic Society of Chicago by the University of Chicago Press, [c1937] url p. 277.
- Annals of the Entomological Society of America. [College Park, Md., etc.]: Entomological Society of America. url p. 260, p. 427.
- Annual report / Entomological Society of Ontario. Toronto, The Society. url p. 109, p. 11, p. 83, p. 99.
- Annual report / New York State Museum. Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, c1904-1920. url p. 418, p. 565.
- Annual report of the Entomologist of the State Experiment Station of the University of Minnesota, to the Governor for the year. .. Delano: Eagle Print. Co., -1902 url p. 239, p. 44.
- Annual report of the Maine Agricultural Experiment Station. [Orono, Me.: Maine State College, 1885-1953. url p. 277, p. 340.
- Annual report of the New Jersey State Museum. Trenton, N.J.: MacCrellish & Quigley, url p. 374.
- Annual report of the New Jersey state museum. 1901-12, 1914. Trenton, New Jersey. [etc.]1902-15. url p. 374.
- Annual report of the Quebec Society for the Protection of Plants from Insects and Fungous Diseases. Quebec: The Society, 1909-1920. url , p. 73.
- Annual report of the Regents / Albany: J.B. Lyon, State Printer, 1890-1903. url p. 1035, p. 361, p. 368, p. 374, p. 381, p. 381, p. 416, p. 430, p. 437, p. 444, p. 517, p. 530, p. 538.
- Annual report of the Secretary of the State Board of Agriculture of the State of Michigan. .. Lansing: The Board, 1862- url p. 162.
- Annual report. United States Geological and Geographical Survey of the Territories. 1st-12th, 1867-1878. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1867-83. url p. 730, p. 820.
- Applied entomology; an introductory text-book of insects in their relations to man, by H.T. Fernald. .. New York [etc.]McGraw-Hill Book Company, inc., 1921. url p. 136.
- Bibliography of the more important contributions to American economic entomology. Washington: Govt. print. off., 1889-1905. url p. 13, p. 172, p. 207, p. 38, p. 387, p. 387, p. 40, p. 405, p. 405, p. 422, p. 422, p. 436, p. 436, p. 438, p. 438, p. 54, p. 83, p. 85, p. 92, p. 95.
- Bulletin - New York State Museum. Albany: New York State Education Dept. url p. 1035, p. 208, p. 361, p. 368, p. 376, p. 418, p. 430, p. 444, p. 475, p. 517, p. 530, p. 538, p. 571, p. 575, p. 633, p. 749, p. 810, p. 871, p. 89, p. 903, p. 905.
- Bulletin / U.S. Department of Agriculture, Bureau of Entomology. Washington: G.P.O., 1904-1916. url p. 116, p. 47, p. 53, p. 55, p. 93, p. 96, p. 96, p. 98.
- Bulletin of the Brooklyn Entomological Society. Brooklyn, N.Y.: The Society, url p. 25.
- Bulletin of the Illinois State Laboratory of Natural History. Bloomington, Ill.: The Laboratory, 1876-1918. url p. 108, p. 108, p. 110, p. 111, p. 247, p. 396, p. 396, p. 396, p. 55, p. 55, p. 569, p. 71, p. 71.
- Bulletin of the Museum of Comparative Zoology at Harvard College. 95 1945 Cambridge, Mass.: The Museum, 1863- url p. 447.
- Bulletin of the U.S. Department of Agriculture. [Washington, D.C.?]: Supt. of Docs., Govt. Print. Off., 1913-1923. url p. 15, p. 15, p. 62.
- Catalogue of bacteria associated extracellularly with insects and ticks, by Edward A. Steinhaus... Minneapolis, Minn., Burgess publishing co., c1942. url p. 123.
- Catalogue of insects found in New Jersey. Trenton, N. J.: John L. Murphy, 1890. url p. 245.
- Catalogue of the exhibit of economic entomology at the World's Columbian Exposition, Chicago Ill., 1893, Washington, D.C., U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Division of Entomology, 1893. url p. 42, p. 66.
- Class book of economic entomology, Philadelphia, P. Blakiston's son & co.[c1919] url p. 325.
- Contents and index of the reports of the State entomologist of Illinois. Stephen A. Forbes. [Urbana?]: The State, 1909. url p. 17.
- Cooperative economic insect report. Hyattsville, MD. [etc.]Plant Protection and Quarantine Programs Animal and Plant Health Service. url p. 1010, p. 1014, p. 103, p. 1033, p. 1035, p. 1049, p. 1055, p. 1069, p. 1073, p. 1079, p. 1095, p. 1097, p. 11, p. 1103, p. 1108, p. 1115, p. 1118, p. 1129, p. 1137, p. 1149, p. 1175, p. 120, p. 1210, p. 13, p. 133, p. 136, p. 14, p. 149, p. 152, p. 152, p. 158, p. 16, p. 164, p. 165, p. 17, p. 19, p. 2, p. 20, p. 20, p. 204, p. 22, p. 23, p. 23, p. 25, p. 253, p. 269, p. 272, p. 3, p. 3, p. 3, p. 3, p. 319, p. 4, p. 4, p. 4, p. 417, p. 57, p. 576, p. 589, p. 596, p. 6, p. 607, p. 607, p. 616, p. 639, p. 643, p. 650, p. 668, p. 670, p. 672, p. 681, p. 693, p. 699, p. 7, p. 700, p. 716, p. 716, p. 724, p. 731, p. 740, p. 744, p. 749, p. 749, p. 773, p. 776, p. 782, p. 786, p. 796, p. 797, p. 8, p. 8, p. 800, p. 812, p. 816, p. 820, p. 824, p. 831, p. 831, p. 836, p. 844, p. 845, p. 845, p. 848, p. 851, p. 858, p. 866, p. 871, p. 877, p. 878, p. 88, p. 885, p. 887, p. 89, p. 897, p. 902, p. 903, p. 905, p. 920, p. 920, p. 927, p. 928, p. 943, p. 946, p. 953, p. 957, p. 958, p. 962, p. 982, p. 992, p. 997.
- Economic entomology for the farmer and fruit-grower, Philadelphia and London, J. B. Lippincott company[c1906] url p. 227.
- Economic value of the starling in the United States. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1921. url p. 62.
- Entomological news, and proceedings of the Entomological Section of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia[Entomological Rooms of the Academy of Natural Sciences] url p. 246, p. 310, p. 310, p. 319, p. 325, p. 325, p. 326, p. 326.
- Entomological news. [Philadelphia]American Entomological Society, 1925- url p. 19, p. 37, p. 40.
- Experiment station record. Washington: G.P.O., 1889-1946. url p. 662, p. 734.
- Field book of insects, with special reference to those of northeastern United States, aiming to answer common questions, by Frank E. Lutz. New York, G. P. Putnam, c1921. url p. 392.
- Fifth annual report of the entomologist of the State Experiment Station of the University of Minnesota to the governor, for the year 1899. / by Otto Lugger. St. Paul: McGill-Warner, 1899. url p. 177, p. 239.
- Final report of the state geologist. Trenton, N.J.: The Survey, 1888- url p. 245.
- Flower ecology. [n.p.]Press of J. B. Hungerford url .
- Flowers and insects; lists of visitors of four hundred and fifty-three flowers, by Charles Robertson. Carlinville, Ill., n.p.1928. url p. 109, p. 134, p. 210, p. 53, p. 72, p. 75, p. 87, p. 92, p. 95.
- General index to reports of the State Entomologist of Connecticut, 1901-1925 / New Haven: Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station, 1926. url p. 677.
- How to grow asters; a manual on asters, Rochester, N.Y., H. Vick's sons, 1912. url p. 26.
- I. Notes on insects bred from the bark and wood of the American larch. By M. W. Blackman and Harry H. Stage. II. On the insect visitors to the blossoms of wild blackberry and wild spiraea --a study in seasonable distribution. By M. W. Blackman. Syracuse, The University,  url p. 132.
- Index to the literature of American economic entomology. Melrose Highlands, Mass. [etc.], American Association of Economic Entomologists [etc.], 1917-62. url p. 118, p. 131.
- Injurious insects; how to recognize and control them, by Walter C. O'Kane. .. illustrated with 600 original photographs. New York, The Macmillan company, 1912. url p. 145, p. 145.
- Insect injurious to staple crops. New York, J. Wiley & sons, inc.; [etc., etc.]1902. url p. 292.
- Insect life / U.S. Department of Agriculture, Division of Entomology. Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, url p. 230, p. 261.
- Insect pests of farm, garden and orchard / by E. Dwight Sanderson. New York: Wiley, 1915, c1912. url .
- Insects and insecticides. A practical manual concerning noxious insects and the methods of preventing their injuries. New York, Orange Judd company, 1895. url p. 332.
- Insects and insecticides: A practical manual concerning noxious insects and the methods of preventing their injuries. By Clarence M. Weed. New York: Orange Judd Company, 1904, c1891 url p. 332.
- Insects and insecticides: a practical manual concerning noxious insects and the methods of preventing their injuries / by Clarence M. Weed. New York: Orange Judd, 1895. url p. 332.
- Insects injurious to staple crops / By E. Dwight Sanderson. New York: J. Wiley, 1902. url p. 292.
- Insects injurious to vegetables, New York, O. Judd Co., 1907. url p. 220.
- Insects injurious to vegetables, by F. H. Chittenden. New York, O. Judd Co., 1907. url p. 220, p. 220.
- Insects of New Jersey; a list of the species occurring in New Jersey, with notes on those of economic importance, by John B. Smith. Trenton, N.J., MacCrellish & Quigley, state printers, 1900. url p. 337, p. 337.
- Journal of economic entomology. [College Park, Md., etc.]Entomological Society of America [etc.] url p. 113, p. 499, p. 527, p. 572.
- Manual of entomology: with special reference to economic entomology / by H. Maxwell Lefroy; illustrated by L.N. Staniland. New York: Longmans, Green & Co., 1923. url p. 189.
- Manual of vegetable-garden insects, by Cyril Richard Crosby and Mortimer Demarest Leonard. .. New York, The Macmillan company, 1918. url p. 307, p. 307, p. 307.
- Memorial of life and entomologic work of Joseph Albert Lintner, state entomologist, 1874-98, by Ephraim Porter Felt. Albany: University of the State of New York, 1899. url p. 332, p. 361, p. 368, p. 376, p. 416, p. 430, p. 437, p. 444, p. 475, p. 517, p. 530, p. 538.
- Miscellaneous essays on economic entomology / by the State Entomologist and his entomological assistants. Springfield, Ill.: H.W. Rokker, 1886. url p. 107, p. 125.
- Miscellaneous publication - University of Kansas, Museum of Natural History. 1965 Lawrence: University of Kansas, 1946-1996. url p. 52.
- Monthly report of the Department of Agriculture. .. / Department of Agriculture. [Washington: G.P.O., 1863]-1876. url p. 325.
- New York State Museum bulletin. Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1916-1944. url p. 94.
- Order Coleoptera / [John Bernhard Smith?] Trenton?: New Jersey State Museum, 1909? url p. 374.
- Our insect friends and enemies; the relation of insects to man, to other animals, to one another, and to plants, with a chapter on the war against insects, by John B. Smith. .. Philadelphia, J.B. Lippincott Company, 1909. url p. 99.
- Plant pest handbook for Connecticut / New Haven: Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station, 1933-1934. url p. 80.
- Principle insect enemies of the sugar beet in the territories served by the Great Western Sugar Company, by Asa C. Maxson. .. Denver, Col., Agricultural Dept., the Great Western Sugar Company, 1920. url p. 22.
- Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington. Washington, Biological Society of Washington url p. 26, p. 31.
- Proceedings of the Entomological Society of Washington. Washington, etc.: Entomological Society of Washington url p. 756.
- Proceedings. Toronto. url p. 109, p. 83.
- Psyche. Cambridge, Mass.: Cambridge Entomological Club url p. 69, p. 79.
- Report of the Dominion Entomologist. Ottawa url p. 212.
- Report of the State Entomologist of Connecticut for the year. .. New Haven, [1902- url p. 261, p. 304, p. 391, p. 399.
- Report of the State Entomologist on injurious and other insects of the state of New York. Albany: Weed, Parsons and Co.; University of the State of New York, 1882- url p. 1033, p. 1035, p. 381, p. 418, p. 571, p. 575, p. 633, p. 749, p. 871, p. 89, p. 903.
- Report of the United States Entomological Commission. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1878-90. url , p. 293, p. 298.
- Report of the state entomologist on the noxious and beneficial insects of the state of Illinois. Springfield, Ill.: State Entomologist, -1916. url , p. 111, p. 258.
- Report on the Rocky Mountain locust and other insects now injuring or likely to injure field and garden crops in the western states and territories / by A.S. Packard. Washington: U.S. Print. Off., 1877. url p. 730.
- Reports of observations and experiments in the practical work of the Division, made under the direction of the Entomologist. Washington, U.S. G.P.O., 1883-1894. url p. 15.
- Reports of the Director. .. / Experimental Farms. Ottawa: Experimental Farms, 1888-1916. url p. 2, p. 212, p. 498.
- Results of work on blister beetles in Kansas. [By] F. B. Milliken. Washington[Govt. print. off.]1921. url p. 13.
- Smithsonian miscellaneous collections. 68 1918 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1862-1968. url p. 50, p. 64.
- Technical publication / New York State College of Forestry at Syracuse University. Syracuse, N.Y.: The College, 1914- url p. 132.
- The Biological bulletin. Woods Hole, Mass.: Marine Biological Laboratory, url p. 408, p. 424, p. 443, p. 444, p. 446, p. 460.
- The Canadian entomologist. Ottawa [etc.]Entomological Society of Canada [etc.] url p. 262, p. 275, p. 275, p. 327.
- The Indiana weed book, by W. S. Blatchley. Indianapolis, The Nature publishing company, 1920. url p. 155.
- The Journal of experimental zoology. [New York, etc.]Wiley-Liss [etc.] url p. 108, p. 108.
- The Journal of the Cincinnati Society of Natural History. Cincinnati: The Society, 1878/79 [i.e. 1878 or 1879]-1945. url p. 181.
- The Natural history of the Toronto Region, Ontario, Canada / edited by J.H. Faull. -- Toronto: Canadian Institute, 1913. url p. 346.
- The Ohio journal of science. Columbus, Ohio, The Ohio State University and the Ohio Academy of Science url p. 223, p. 224, p. 241, p. 248, p. 253.
- The Proceedings of the Iowa Academy of Science. Des moines, Iowa: The Academy, [1889-1987] url p. 96.
- The Review of applied entomology. Farnham Royal, Eng., etc.: Commonwealth Agricultural Bureaux, etc. url p. 141, p. 22, p. 338, p. 371, p. 507, p. 636.
- The culture and diseases of the sweet pea, New York, E. P. Dutton & Company[c1917] url , p. 169.
- The flower and the bee; plant life and pollination, LondonConstable1919 url p. 185, p. 281.
- The natural history of the Toronto region, Ontario, Canada / edited by J.H. Faull. Toronto: Canadian Institute, 1913. url p. 346.
- Transactions of the Academy of Science of St. Louis. [St. Louis: Academy of Science of St. Louis], 1860-1958. url , p. 176, p. 176, p. 176, p. 19, p. 19, p. 453, p. 456, p. 457, p. 458, p. 471, p. 474, p. 475, p. 551, p. 551, p. 561, p. 561.
- Transactions of the American Entomological Society Philadelphia: The Society, 1890- url p. 210.
- Yearbook of agriculture. WashingtonU.S. Govt. Print. Off. url p. 635.
- Bisby, F.A., Y.R. Roskov, M.A. Ruggiero, T.M. Orrell, L.E. Paglinawan, P.W. Brewer, N. Bailly, J. van Hertum, eds (2007). Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2007 Annual Checklist. Species 2000: Reading, U.K.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 15, 2012.
- Marlin, Bruce. CirrusImage.com.