Common Names in English:
Bat Star, Leather Star
Species Dermasterias imbricata
This star has a broad central disk and 5 short rays which taper broadly to the central disk. The rays are not bordered by marginal plates . The entire aboral surface is smooth and slippery, reddish brown with blue-gray patches or reticulations , and without spines. The thickness is about 1/3 the diameter, the madreporite can be seen. Smells distinctive--almost like garlic or burned gunpowder. Arm radius to 15 cm.
Mostly on rocks, can also be found on sand or mud . Seems to prefer at least partially sheltered areas.
Typically found in the intertidal zone at the water's edge at a mean distance from sea level of 93.17 meters (305.68 feet).
Prey include diatoms , sponges, bryozoans , sea pens , anemones, sea cucumbers, sea urchins, and chitons , ascidians , and fish eggs . Anemones are said to be one of its major prey items. It usually swallows its prey whole and digests them internally. The swimming anemone Stomphia sp has a strong escape response from this species; as does the purple urchin Strongylocentrotus purpuratus. Stomphia swims away, while S. purpuratus pulls in its tube feet, depresses its spines, and extends its pedicellariae; then races away. The scaleworm Arctonoe vittata is a common commensal, and the worm and the seastar are mutually attracted to one another.
A parasitic barnacle Dendrogaster sp may be found inside.
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (Marcus, 1958) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Klein, 1734 ex De Brugière, 1789
- Subphylum: Eleutherozoa () - Bell, 1891
- Phylum: Echinodermata () - Klein, 1734 ex De Brugière, 1789 - Echinoderms
- Infrakingdom: Coelomopora () - (Marcus, 1958) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Deuterostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 27-Dec-2004
Pteraster tesselatus does not have a visible madreporite and secretes copious quantities of slime. Asterina miniata and Mediaster aequalis have clearly visible interlocking ossicles on the aboral surface. (Ref. 109953)
Members of the genus Dermasterias
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 1 species and subspecies in this genus:
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A manual of the common invertebrate animals, exclusive of insects / by Henry Sherring Pratt. .. with over one thousand illustrations. Chicago: A.C. McClurg & Co., 1923. url p. 628.
- Alaska / Harriman Alaska Expedition. New York: Doubleday, Page, 1901-1910. url , , , , , , , , .
- Alaska. New York, Doubleday, Page & company, 1901- url , , , , , , , p. 14, p. 306, p. 343, p. 394, p. 408.
- Allan Hancock Pacific expeditions. [Reports] Los Angeles, University of Southern California Press. url p. 244, p. 526.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url , p. 249, p. 250, p. 352, p. 410.
- Bulletin of the Southern California Academy of Sciences Los Angeles, Calif.: The Academy, 1971- url p. 109.
- Bulletin. Salem, Mass. url p. 128.
- California fish and game. [San Francisco, etc.]: State of California, Resources Agency, Dept. of Fish and Game. url p. 203, p. 318.
- Current bibliography for aquatic sciences and fisheries. London, Taylor & Francis ltd. url p. 530.
- Ecological effects of an artificial island, Rincon Island, Punta Gorda, California / by G.F. Johnson and L.A. deWit; prepared for U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Coastal Engineering Research Center. Fort Belvoir, Va.: Available from National Technical Information Service,  url p. 101, p. 27.
- FWS/0BS. [Washington]Fish and Wildlife Service, U.S. Dept. of the Interior. url p. 125, p. 145, p. 29, p. 56, p. 66, p. 68.
- Fishery bulletin / U.S. Dept. of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, National Marine Fisheries Service. Washington, D.C.: The Service: url , p. 1309, p. 1322, p. 1324, p. 205, p. 207, p. 208, p. 213, p. 678, p. 680, p. 681, p. 683, p. 684.
- Fishery circular / U.S. Department of Commerce, Bureau of Fisheries. [Washington]: The Bureau, 1931-1939. url p. 123, p. 46.
- General embryological information service. Utrecht, Hubrecht Laboratory. url p. 86.
- Harriman Alaska series. City of Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1910-1914. url , , , , , , , , , p. 14, p. 306, p. 308, p. 343, p. 345, p. 348, p. 394, p. 408.
- Harriman Alaska series. vol. I-V, VIII-XIV Washington, D.C., Smithsonian Institution, 1910-14 url , , , p. 102, p. 14, p. 14, p. 174, p. 196, p. 306, p. 308, p. 343, p. 345, p. 348, p. 394, p. 408.
- International catalogue of scientific literature. LondonPublished for the International Council by the Royal Society of London1901-1920 url p. 35.
- Monograph of the shallow-water starfishes of the North Pacific coast from the Arctic Ocean to California / by Addison Emery Verrill; with 110 plates. Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution, 1914. url , , , , , , , , p. 14, p. 306, p. 308, p. 343, p. 345, p. 348, p. 394, p. 408.
- Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington. Washington, Biological Society of Washington url p. 602.
- Proceedings of the California Academy of Sciences, 4th series. San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences. url p. 343, p. 520, p. 58, p. 626.
- Publications - Puget Sound Biological Station. [Seattle?]Puget Sound Biological Station, University of Washington. url p. 131, p. 176, p. 33.
- Puget Sound Marine Station publications. Seattle?: Puget Sound Marine Station, University of Washington?, 1915-1917 url p. 176.
- Report on the scientific results of the voyage of H.M.S. Challenger during the years 1873-76: under the command of Captain George S. Nares, R.N., F.R.S. and Captain Frank Turle Thomson, R.N. / prepared under the superintendence of Sir C. Wyville Thomson. Edinburgh: Neill, 1880-1895. url , p. 854.
- The Biological bulletin. Woods Hole, Mass.: Marine Biological Laboratory, url , , , , , , p. 103, p. 121, p. 123, p. 14, p. 148, p. 17, p. 188, p. 189, p. 190, p. 191, p. 193, p. 234, p. 251, p. 351, p. 401, p. 404, p. 425, p. 427, p. 451, p. 480, p. 486, p. 70, p. 73, p. 74, p. 77, p. 78.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 404, p. 571, p. 83, p. 84, p. 87.
- Zoölogical excursions. 1, New invertebrata from the coast of California. By J. Walter Fewkes. Boston, Printed for the author, 1889. url p. 32.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 16, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal February 01, 2008:
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University, Gwaii Haanas Invertebrates
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University, Natural Geography In Shore Areas
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 2764972
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-157139
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 2494459
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 157139
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 405376
- Cowles, Dave. Key to Invertebrates Found At or Near The Rosario Beach Marine Laboratory (a campus of Walla Walla University) Fidalgo Island, Anacortes, WA May 2009. [back]
- Standard Deviation = 248.970 based on 127 observations. Terrestrial altitude and ocean depth information for each observation from British Oceanographic Data Centre. [back]