- Short-beaked Common Dolphin (Delphinus delphis). Although the global population is still considered to be Least Concern, the Mediterranean subpopulation of Delphinus delphis has declined by more than 50% over the last 30-45 years and is assessed as Endangered . There has been a reduction in the availability of dolphin prey in the Mediterranean through a combination of environmental changes, overfishing and habitat degradation. Competition with fisheries and bycatch directly threaten the subpopulation, while high levels of polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) in Mediterranean dolphins , compared to levels in dolphins from other areas, may cause immune suppression and reproductive impairment . (Ref 100465)
Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Aleut:
Angaigik, Ardlusarsuk, Oki
Common Names in Czech:
Delfín Obecný, Delfin Obecny’, Plískavice Obecná
Common Names in Danish:
Almindelig Delfin, Delfin
Common Names in Dutch:
Dolfijn, Gewone Dolfijn
Common Names in English:
Short-beaked Common Dolphin, Atlantic Dolphin, Black Sea Dolphin, Common Dolphin, Common Ocean Dolphin, Gemeiner Delphin, Long-Beaked Saddle-Backed Dolphin, Pacific Dolphin, Saddle-backed Dolphin, Saddleback Dolphin, Short-Beaked Saddle-Backed Dolphin, Short-beaked Saddleback Dolphin
Common Names in French:
Dauphin Commun, Bec D’oie, Camus, Dauphin à Bande Fauve, Dauphin Ordinaire, Dauphin Vulgaire
Common Names in German:
Common Names in Icelandic:
Hofrung, Huisen, Hundfiscar
Common Names in Italian:
Delfino, Delfino Comune, Tumberello
Common Names in Japanese:
Common Names in Miscellaneous Langua:
Common Names in Norwegian:
Dolffin, Spinger, Spinghval, Springhval
Common Names in Polish:
Common Names in Portuguese:
Common Names in Russian:
Belobochka, Delfin-Belobochka, Delfiny-Belobochka, Obyknovennyi Delfin, Worwon
Common Names in Spanish:
Delf?n Com?n, Delf, Delfín Común
Common Names in Swedish:
Common Names in Tamil:
The family Delphinidae has been called a 'taxonomic trash basket', because many small to medium-sized odontocetes of various forms have been lumped together in this group for centuries. Consequentely, the so-called delphinids are diverse in form. They range in size from 1 to 1.88 m dolphins of the genera Sotalia and Cephalorhynchus, to the killer whale , in which males can reach lengths of at least 9.8 m. However, most delphinids share the following characteristics: a marine habitat , a noticeable beak , conical teeth, and a large falcate dorsal fin set near the middle of the back. There are exceptions to everyone of these rules , except the presence of basically conical teeth.
V-shaped black/ dark gray saddle with downward oriented apex on sides directly below dorsal fin -- light gray of flanking sweeping over dorsal section of the tail of stock. Hourglass effect on side -- tan, yellow. Prominent dorsal fin. Nearly black from the flipper to the lower jaw and blackline from the eye forward to the junction of the forehead and the base of the beak . Black ring encircles the eye. Long neck defined. Black beak tipped with white. Predominantly dark flippers, flukes and fin .
Maximum size: 2.6 m , 75 kg or less (male) 2.3 m, 75 kg or less (female).
Typically found in the intertidal zone at the water's edge at a mean distance from sea level of 29 meters (96 feet).
In the Mediterranean, Common Dolphins
are found in both pelagic and
neritic environments, occasionally sharing the former with Striped
Dolphins (Stenella coeruleoalba) and the latter with Common
Bottlenose Dolphins (Tursiops truncates
) (Bearzi et
al. 2003). Mixed-species groups of Common, Striped and Risso?s
Dolphins (Grampus griseus) have been consistently observed
in the pelagic waters of the Gulf
of Corinth, Greece (Frantzis and
Herzing 2002). Mediterranean Common Dolphins are typically found
in groups of 50?70 animals, with larger aggregations occasionally
recorded. In the eastern Ionian Sea
, however, groups
rarely include more than 15 individuals, and groups greater than
40 have not been observed (Bearzi et al.
List of Habitats :
- 9 Marine Neritic
- 9.1 Marine Neritic - Pelagic
- 10 Marine Oceanic
- 10.1 Marine Oceanic - Epipelagic (0-200m) [more info]
Fish, squid or octopus , anchovies , herring and pilchards. Small feeding groups will scatter in late afternoon to await ascension of the deep scattering layer. Frequently adopt cooperative techniques to capture prey ex : herds may dive below a school of fish and drive it to the surface.
Gestation period : 10-12 months. Calving peaks in spring and fall Calf nursed 14-19 months. Sexual maturity: 12-15 years, 1.7-2 m (male) 6- 7 years, 1.6-1.9 m (female).
Various flips and somersaults. Highly vocal- whistles pulse sounds for communication and ecolocation. Strandings not particularly common. Large active schools - 1000-100,000 or greater Friendly, but not easily trained Sometimes split up into small groups at night. Reassemble to rest and socialize during the day. Active and boisterous. Whole school can be completely out of water. Bow riding favorite activity - ride off ships and pressure waves created by whales - may stay with vessel long time. Appears to be some sexual segregation- some evidence of nursery schools consisting of large portions of pregnant and nursing females. Dive to depths of at least 280m as long as 8 minutes.
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Bateson, 1885
- Cuvier, 1812
- Jawed Vertebrates
- Goodrich, 1930
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Rowe, 1988) M.C. McKenna & S.K. Bell, 1997
- (Wible et al., 1995) M.C. McKenna & S.K. Bell, 1997
- McKenna, 1975
- McKenna, 1975
- McKenna, 1975
- (McKenna, 1975) M.C. McKenna & S.K. Bell, 1997
- (Parker & Haswell, 1897) M.C. McKenna & S.K. Bell, 1997
- (Owen, 1837) M.C. McKenna & S.K. Bell, 1997
- (Mckenna, 1975) M.c. Mckenna & S.k. Bell, 1997
- (McKenna, 1975) McKenna, in Stucky & McKenna, in Benton, ed., 1993
- (C. Linnaeus, 1766) McKenna, 1975
- McKenna, 1975
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Brisson, 1762) M.C. McKenna & S.K. Bell, 1997
- Haeckel, 1866
- (Flower, 1869) M.c. Mckenna & S.k. Bell, 1997
- Superfamily: Delphinoidea () - (Gray, 1821) Flower, 1864
- Parvorder: Odontoceti () - (Flower, 1869) M.c. Mckenna & S.k. Bell, 1997
- Infraorder: Autoceta () - Haeckel, 1866
- Suborder: Cetacea () - (Brisson, 1762) M.C. McKenna & S.K. Bell, 1997
- Order: Cetartiodactyla () - C. Linnaeus, 1758
- Mirorder: Eparctocyona () - McKenna, 1975
- Grandorder: Ungulata () - (C. Linnaeus, 1766) McKenna, 1975
- Superorder: Preptotheria () - (McKenna, 1975) McKenna, in Stucky & McKenna, in Benton, ed., 1993
- Magnorder: Epitheria () - (Mckenna, 1975) M.c. Mckenna & S.k. Bell, 1997
- Cohort: Placentalia () - (Owen, 1837) M.C. McKenna & S.K. Bell, 1997
- Supercohort: Theria () - (Parker & Haswell, 1897) M.C. McKenna & S.K. Bell, 1997
- Infralegion: Tribosphenida () - (McKenna, 1975) M.C. McKenna & S.K. Bell, 1997
- Sublegion: Zatheria () - McKenna, 1975
- Legion: Cladotheria () - McKenna, 1975
- Superlegion: Trechnotheria () - McKenna, 1975
- Infraclass: Holotheria () - (Wible et al., 1995) M.C. McKenna & S.K. Bell, 1997
- Subclass: Theriiformes () - (Rowe, 1988) M.C. McKenna & S.K. Bell, 1997
- Class: Mammalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758
- Superclass: Tetrapoda () - Goodrich, 1930
- Infraphylum: Gnathostomata () - auct. - Jawed Vertebrates
- Subphylum: Vertebrata () - Cuvier, 1812 - Vertebrates
- Phylum: Chordata () - Bateson, 1885 - Chordates
- Infrakingdom: Chordonia () - (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Deuterostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Delphinus delphis delphis Linnaeus
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 05-Dec-2008
Until 1994, all common dolphins around the world were classified as a single species: D. delphis. However, it is now known that at least two species exist within the genus: the Short-beaked (D. delphis) and Long-beaked (D. capensis) Common Dolphins (Heyning and Perrin 1994). There is also a distinct short-beaked form in the Black Sea , the taxonomic status of which has not been adequately clarified (however, it is currently thought to be a subspecies : D. delphis ponticus Amaha, 1994)..
Members of the genus Delphinus
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 23 species and subspecies in this genus:
D. albirostris (Allen's Squirrel Galago) · D. capensis (Long-Beaked Common Dolphin) · D. chinensis (Chinese White Dolphin) · D. clymene (Short-Snouted Spinner Dolphin) · D. cruciger (White-Sided Dolphin) · D. delphis (Short-Beaked Common Dolphin) · D. delphis delphis (Short-Beaked Saddle-Backed Dolphin) · (Short-Beaked Common Dolphin) · D. densirostris (Blainville's Beaked Whale) · D. eutropia (Banded Anteater) · D. fluviatilis (Guianian River Dolphin) · D. frontalis (Atlantic Spotted Dolphin) · D. gangetica (South Asian River Dolphin) · D. griseus (White-Headed Grampus) · D. leucas (Long-Footed Potoroo) · D. longirostris (Pantropical Spinner Dolphin) · D. melas (North Atlantic Longfinned Pilot Whale) · D. metis (Short-Snouted Spinner Dolphin) · D. obscurus (Dusky Dolphin) · D. orca (Atlantic Killer Whale) · D. phocoena (Pacific Harbor Porpose) · D. tropicalis (Arabian Common Dolphin) · D. truncatus (Atlantic Bottle-Nosed Dolphin)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- ...Results of the explorations made by the steamer Albatross off the northern coast of the United States in 1883. By A. E. Verrill. Washington: Govt. print. off., 1885. url , p. 590.
- 1994 IUCN red list of threatened animals Gland, Switzerland: IUCN, 1993 url p. 20.
- A biological survey of the waters of Woods Hole and vicinity / By Francis B. Sumner, Raymond C. Osburn, and Leon J. Cole. Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1913 url p. 782, p. 842.
- A book of whales, by F.E. Beddard. .. With forty illustrations by W. Sidney Berridge. 1900 London, J. Murray;1900. url p. 253, p. 254.
- A brief review of the fisheries of New South Wales, present and potential. .. Sydney, Published by Authority of the Government of the State of New South Wales, 1910. url p. 21.
- A check list of mammals of the North American continent, the West Indies and the neighboring seas. Chicago, 1905. url p. 30, p. 30, p. 582.
- A course on zoology: designed for secondary education. By C. de Montmahon [!]. .. and H. Beauregard. .. Tr. and adapted for American schools by Wm. H. Greene, M.D. Philadelphia, J.B. Lippincott Company, 1893 [c1892] url p. 260.
- A distributional list of the mammals of California, by Joseph Grinnell. San Francisco, The Academy, 1913. url p. 370.
- A guide to Belfast and the counties of Down & Antrim / prepared for the meeting of the British Association by the Belfast Naturalists' Field Club. Belfast: M'Caw, Stevenson & Orr, ltd., 1902. url p. 153.
- A hand-book to the British mammalia. London, Edward Lloyd, 1896. url , p. 296.
- A handbook of the vertebrate fauna of Yorkshire: being a catalogue of British mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians, and fishes / by Wm. Eagle Clarke, and Wm. Denison Roebuck. London: Reeve, 1881. url p. 11, p. 11.
- A history of British quadrupeds, including the Cetacea. London, J. Van Voorst, 1874. url , .
- A history of British quadrupeds: including the cetacea / by Thomas Bell. London: Van Voorst, 1874. url p. 390, p. 462.
- A history of fishes; illus. by W. P. C. Tenison. New York, A. A. Wyn, 1949. url p. 3.
- A list of the land and sea mammals of North America north of Mexico. Supplement to the synopsis. By D.G. Elliot. 2 1901 Chicago, 1901. url p. 482.
- A manual of palaeontology for the use of students with a general introduction on the principles of palaeontology, by Henry Alleyne Nicholson. Edinburgh, London: W. Blackwood and sons, 1872. url p. 420.
- A manual of palæontology for the use of students: with a general introduction on the principles of palaeontology. Edinburgh, Blackwood, 1872. url p. 420.
- A manual of the vertebrate animals of the northern United States: including the district north and east of the Ozark mountains, south of the Laurentian hills, north of the southern boundary of Virginia, and east of the Missouri river, inclusive of marine species / Chicago:A. C. McClurg, 1916. url .
- A manual of zoology for the use of students: with a general introduction on the principles of zoology / New York: D. Appleton, 1877. url .
- A manual of zoology. .. Edinburgh, Blackwood, 1870. url p. 690.
- A popular zoology / by J. Dorman Steele and J.W.P. Jenks. New York: A.S. Barnes & Company, c 1887. url p. 312.
- A reprint of the North American zoology, by George Ord. Being an exact reproduction of the part originally compiled by Mr. Ord for Johnson & Warner, and first published by them in their 2d American ed. of Guthrie's geography, in 1815. Taken Haddonsfield, N.J., Pub. by the editor, 1894. url p. 62.
- A student's text-book of zoology / by Adam Sedgwick. London: S. Sonnenschein and co.; 1898-1909. url p. 564.
- A student's text-book of zoology, by Adam Sedgwick. .. London, Macmillan Co., 1898-1909. url p. 563, p. 564.
- A synopsis of the mammalian fauna of the Philippine Islands / Lawrence R. Heaney. .. [et al.]. 88 1998 [Chicago, Ill.]: Field Museum of Natural History, c1998. url p. 48.
- A synopsis of the mammals of North America and the adjacent seas, by Daniel Giraud Elliot... 2 1901 Chicago, [Field Columbia Museum]1901. url p. 443.
- A synoptic text-book of zoölogy, for colleges and schools / by Arthur Wisswald Weysse. New York: Macmillan, 1904, c1903. url p. 375.
- A textbook in general zoology, Cincinnati [etc.]American Book Company url .
- A zoological pocket-book: or, Synopsis of animal classification. Comprising definitions of the Phyla, classes, and orders, with explanatory remarks and tables. Tr. from the 3d German ed. by J.R. Ainsworth Davis. London, C. Griffin, 1890. url p. 203.
- Abstract of the proceedings of the Linnaean Society of New York. [New York]: The Society, [1889-1932]. url p. 20, p. 67.
- Acta Societatis pro Fauna et Flora Fennica. Helsinki: Societas, 1875-1980. url p. 172.
- American animals: a popular guide to the mammals of North America north of Mexico, with intimate biographies of the more familiar species / by Witmer Stone and William Everett Cram. Garden City, N.Y.: Doubleday, Page, 1917. url p. 21, p. 307.
- American animals; a popular guide to the mammals of North America north of Mexico, with intimate biographies of the more familiar species, by Witmer Stone and William Everett Cram. Garden City, N. Y.: Doubleday, Page, 1922 [c1902] url p. 21, p. 307.
- An ecological characterization of Coastal Maine (north and east of Cape Elizabeth) / Stewart I. Fefer and Patricia S. Schettig: principal investigators. Newton Corner, Mass.: Department of the Interior, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Northeast Region, 1980. url .
- An introduction to the study of mammals living and extinct, London, A. and C. Black, 1891. url .
- Anales de la Sociedad Española de Historia Natural. Madrid: La Sociedad, url p. 57.
- Anatomical and zoological researches: comprising an account of the zoological results of the two expeditions to western Yunnan in 1868 and 1875; and a monograph of the two cetacean genera, Platanista 1 1878 London, B. Quaritch, 1878. url p. 463.
- Anatomischer Anzeiger. Jena: G. Fischer, 1886- url , , p. 10, p. 107, p. 11, p. 125, p. 15, p. 155, p. 173, p. 183, p. 184, p. 201, p. 203, p. 257, p. 27, p. 27, p. 28, p. 285, p. 286, p. 287, p. 34, p. 40, p. 44, p. 489, p. 49, p. 497, p. 520, p. 53, p. 581, p. 582, p. 59, p. 69, p. 690, p. 73, p. 73, p. 88, p. 9.
- Animal parasites and messmates. New York, D. Appleton and Co., 1876. url .
- Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences. New York, New York Academy of Sciences. url p. 504.
- Annotated CITES Appendices and Reservations CITES url p. 39.
- Annual report of the Marine Mammal Commission: a report to Congress. Washington, D.C.: The Commission, url p. 157, p. 73.
- Annual report of the New Jersey State Museum: including a list of the specimens received during the year: financial report, with a report of the mammals of New Jersey and a supplement to former reports, 1907. Trenton, N.J.: MacCrellish & Quigley, 1908. url p. 50.
- Annual report of the New York Zoological Society. New York: The Society, 1897- url p. 122.
- Aquarium notes and news; issued by the Aquarium Society of Philadelphia. Philadelphia, 1914- url p. 52.
- Aristotle's History of animals. In ten books. London, Bell, 1887. url p. 309.
- Beached marine birds and mammals of the North American West Coast: a manual for their census and identification / by David G. Ainley. .. [et al.] Pt. Reyes Bird Observatory; with drawings by Helen C. Strong; performed for National Coastal Ecosystems Team, Office of Biological Services, Fish and Wildlife Service [Washington, D.C.]: For sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. G.P.O.,  url p. 182, p. 192.
- Bibliography and catalogue of the fossil vertebrata of North America, by Oliver Perry Hay. Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1902. url p. 593.
- Biology of the seas of the U.S.S.R. Translated by S. Botcharskaya. New York, Interscience Publishers url p. 427, p. 460.
- Biosphere Reserves, Compilation 5, October 1990: programme on man and the biosphere (MAB) IUCN url p. 83.
- Boletim da Sociedade Portuguesa de Cie?ncias Naturais. Lisboa, Sociedade Portuguesa de Cie?ncias Naturais, 1908- url p. 111.
- British mammals, written and illustrated London, Longmans, Green and Co., 1920-21. url , .
- British mammals; an attempt to describe and illustrate the mammalian fauna of the British islands from the commencement of the Pleistocene period down to the present day, London, Hutchinson, 1903. url , .
- Bulletin - New York State Museum. Albany: New York State Education Dept. url p. 275, p. 295, p. 387.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url , p. 108, p. 201, p. 202, p. 204, p. 205, p. 206, p. 207, p. 209, p. 212, p. 214, p. 216, p. 217, p. 219, p. 22, p. 220, p. 221, p. 222, p. 287, p. 44, p. 45, p. 45, p. 46, p. 47, p. 508, p. 509, p. 51, p. 52, p. 53, p. 55, p. 58, p. 60, p. 630, p. 637, p. 658, p. 9.
- Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History). London: BM(NH) url , p. 18, p. 19, p. 21, p. 263, p. 268, p. 29, p. 3, p. 301, p. 58, p. 59, p. 64, p. 71, p. 72, p. 84.
- Bulletin of the Southern California Academy of Sciences Los Angeles, Calif.: The Academy, 1971- url p. 100, p. 106, p. 119, p. 132, p. 18, p. 19, p. 28, p. 32, p. 45.
- Bulletin of the United States Fish Commission. Washington, The Commission, Govt. Print. Off. url p. 479.
- Bulletin of the United States Geological and Geographical Survey of the Territories / Department of the Interior. Washington: Government Printing Office, 1874- url p. 402, p. 404, p. 444, p. 454, p. 466, p. 476, p. 485, p. 496, p. 513, p. 526, p. 536, p. 541, p. 544, p. 553, p. 560, p. 561, p. 562.
- California fish and game. [San Francisco, etc.]: State of California, Resources Agency, Dept. of Fish and Game. url p. 122, p. 138, p. 208, p. 215, p. 221, p. 253, p. 255, p. 3, p. 345, p. 56, p. 57.
- California mammals / San Diego, Ca.: West Coast Pub. Co., 1906. url .
- California mammals / by Frank Stephens; illustrated by W. J. Fenn from studies in the field. San Diego, Calif.: West Coast Pub. Co., 1906. url p. 42.
- Cassell's natural history / by F. Martin Duncan. London; Cassell and Co., 1913. url p. 340, p. 416.
- Cassell's natural history. Ed. by P. Martin Duncan. .. London [etc]Cassell & Company, Limited, 1891-96. url p. 397.
- Catalogue of Australian mammals, with introductory notes on general mammalogy, by J. Douglas Ogilby. Sydney, Australian Museum; printed by order of the Trustees, 1892. url p. 133, p. 74, p. 74.
- Catalogue of Mammalia in the Indian Museum, Calcutta / by John Anderson, Superintendent of the Indian Museum. Calcutta, 1881-1891. url p. 25, p. 321, p. 322, p. 323.
- Catalogue of mammalia in the Indian Museum, Calcutta, Calcutta, 1881-1891. url , , , .
- Catalogue of scientific papers (1800-1900) Comp. by the Royal society of London. Cambridge, C. J. Clay and sons, 1867-1902; url p. 134, p. 185, p. 532, p. 545, p. 619, p. 687, p. 70, p. 712, p. 887, p. 888.
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. Compiled by the Royal Society of London. London, C.J. Clay and Sons, 1867-1902 [etc.] Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1914-25. url p. 134, p. 185, p. 545, p. 619, p. 687, p. 712, p. 888.
- Catalogue of seals and whales in the British museum. Supplement. London, The Trustees, 1871. url .
- Catalogue of the books, manuscripts, maps and drawings in the British Museum (Natural History) London: BM(NH), 1903-1940. url p. 113, p. 113, p. 113.
- Cetaceans of the Channel Islands National Marine Sanctuary / prepared for National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, Channel Islands National Marine Sanctuary and NOAA, National Marine Fisheries Service; by Stephen Leatherwood, Brent S. Stewart, Pieter A [Santa Barbara, Calif.]: National Marine Sanctuary Program,  url p. 34.
- Chapters on the natural history of the United States / by R. W. Shufeldt. New York: Studer Brothers, 1900. url p. 374, p. 379.
- Checklist of CITES Species CITES, WCMC url p. 105, p. 132, p. 139, p. 140, p. 193, p. 216.
- Checklist of CITES Species: a reference to the appendices to the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora CITES url p. 105, p. 114, p. 183, p. 215, p. 69.
- Checklist of Palaearctic and Indian mammals 1758 to 1946 / by J.R. Ellerman and T.C.S. Morrison-Scott. London: BM(NH), 1966. url p. 730, p. 731.
- Checklist of mammals listed in the CITES appendices and in EC Regulation 338/97 JNCC url p. 50.
- Checklists for the CORINE Biotopes Programme and its application in the PHARE countries of Central and East Europe: including comparisons with relevant conventions and agreements on the conservation of European species and habitats EC url p. 149, p. 26, p. 8, p. 98.
- Coastal Sensitivity Overview of the Strait of Malacca. Compiled for International Maritime Organisation (IMO) IMO url .
- College zoology, New York, The Macmillan company, 1912 url p. 674, p. 675.
- Commercial fisheries review. [Washington]: National Marine Fisheries Service; [for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off.] url p. 101.
- Contributions to the natural history of the cetaceans. A review of the family Delphinidae. By Frederick W. True. .. With forty-seven plates. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1889. url , p. 167, p. 49, p. 53, p. 54, p. 55, p. 59, p. 60.
- Current bibliography for aquatic sciences and fisheries. London, Taylor & Francis ltd. url p. 162, p. 172, p. 186, p. 191, p. 209, p. 209, p. 230, p. 320, p. 531, p. 63, p. 712, p. 723, p. 777, p. 8.
- Dahlak: with the Italian National Underwater Expedition in the Red Sea, by Gianni Roghi and Francesco Baschieri. Translated from the Italian by Priscilla Hastings. Edited by Eleanor Brochett. With 11 full colour and 40 monochrome photos. Fair Lawn, N.J.Essential books1957 url p. 280.
- Descriptive and illustrated catalogue of the physiological series of comparative anatomy contained in the Museum of the Royal College of Surgeons of England. London, Taylor [and] Francis (pr.)1900-1902. url p. 354.
- Directory of Wetlands of International Importance. IUCN url p. 424, p. 765.
- Discovery reports. London; Cambridge University Press. url p. 259, p. 330, p. 360, p. 362, p. 383, p. 387, p. 388, p. 397, p. 399, p. 400, p. 406, p. 409, p. 442, p. 457.
- Ecology and behavior of the Manatee (Trichechus manatus) in Florida / by Daniel S. Hartman. [Pittsburgh, Pa.]: American Society of Mammalogists, 1979. url p. 143.
- Effects of noise of offshore oil and gas operations on marine mammals: an introductory assessment / RS Gales. San Diego, Calif.: Naval Ocean Systems Center,  url p. 11, p. 16, p. 8.
- Elementary text-book of zoology / Tr. and ed. by Adam Sedgwick, with the assistance of F.G. Heathcote. New York: Macmillan, 1884. url p. 309.
- Elementary text-book of zoology. By Dr. C. Claus, tr. and ed. by Adam Sedgwick with the assistance of F. G. Heathcote. London, W. S. Sonnenschein, 1884-85. url p. 309.
- FWS/0BS. [Washington]Fish and Wildlife Service, U.S. Dept. of the Interior. url , p. 22.
- Fauna, flora & geology of the Clyde area, ed. by G.F. Scott Elliot, Malcolm Laurie and J. Barclay Murdoch. Glasgow, Pub. by the local committee for the meeting of the British Association, 1901. url p. 158.
- Field book of North American mammals; descriptions of every mammal known north of the Rio Grande, together with brief accounts of habits, geographical ranges, etc., by H. E. Anthony. .. with 32 coloured plates and 175 photographs, pen-and-ink sketches and maps. New York, G. P. Putnam's Sons, 1928. url figs. 132-134 , p. 566.
- Field book of giant fishes, by J. R. Norman and F. C. Fraser. With 8 plates in full color and over 100 drawings by W. P. C. Tenison. New York, G. P. Putnam url p. 329, p. 330, p. 352.
- Final report of the state geologist. Trenton, N.J.: The Survey, 1888- url p. 515.
- Final report. v. 1-8. Trenton, 1888-1917. url p. 515.
- Fishery bulletin / U.S. Dept. of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, National Marine Fisheries Service. Washington, D.C.: The Service: url , , , , , , , , , , , , , , p. 1, p. 1, p. 10, p. 1005, p. 1009, p. 11, p. 129, p. 131, p. 132, p. 1327, p. 141, p. 169, p. 17, p. 194, p. 201, p. 234, p. 25, p. 259, p. 296, p. 297, p. 299, p. 324, p. 333, p. 343, p. 344, p. 346, p. 347, p. 348, p. 348, p. 353, p. 359, p. 360, p. 362, p. 372, p. 417, p. 417, p. 427, p. 434, p. 439, p. 439, p. 441, p. 444, p. 450, p. 451, p. 454, p. 455, p. 456, p. 461, p. 462, p. 463, p. 472, p. 473, p. 483, p. 484, p. 485, p. 486, p. 487, p. 488, p. 489, p. 490, p. 491, p. 492, p. 493, p. 494, p. 525, p. 527, p. 529, p. 54, p. 543, p. 559, p. 563, p. 565, p. 587, p. 588, p. 591, p. 6, p. 611, p. 618, p. 623, p. 625, p. 629, p. 641, p. 643, p. 656, p. 7, p. 7, p. 718, p. 723, p. 743, p. 745, p. 755, p. 76, p. 767, p. 768, p. 771, p. 772, p. 787, p. 791, p. 8, p. 821, p. 826, p. 871, p. 878, p. 883, p. 884, p. 901, p. 941, p. 944, p. 947, p. 961, p. 962.
- Fishery bulletin. United States Fish and Wildlife Service. Washington, The Service, U.S. Govt Print. Off. url p. 550.
- Fishery circular / U.S. Department of Commerce, Bureau of Fisheries. [Washington]: The Bureau, 1931-1939. url p. 207.
- Follow the whale. Maps and charts by the author; chapter head drawings by F. Wenderoth Saunders. New York, Bramhall House url p. 389, p. 411, p. 49.
- Fossil Cetacea of the Caucasus / G.A. Mchedlidze; scientific editor Frank C. Whitmore, Jr. Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Libraries and National Science Foundation, 1988. url , p. 122, p. 17, p. 3.
- Fourteen weeks in zoology / by J. Dorman Steele. New York: A.S. Barnes & Company, c1876. url p. 301.
- Fourteen weeks in zoology. Chicago [etc.]A. S. Barnes & Company, [c1872] url , .
- General embryological information service. Utrecht, Hubrecht Laboratory. url p. 119, p. 120, p. 128, p. 138, p. 142, p. 160, p. 81, p. 83, p. 85.
- Guide to the galleries of mammalia (mammalian, osteological, cetacean) in the Department of Zoology of the British Museum (Natural History). [London]: Trustees of the British Museum, 1892. url p. 113.
- Handbuch der Biologie der Wirbeltiere. Von Dr. M. Hilzheimer. unter Mitwirkung von Dr. Phil. O. Haempel. mikt 599 Textabbildungen. vii, 756 p.illus (part col.)26 cm. url p. 642, p. 645, p. 684.
- IUCN Directory of Afrotropical Protected Areas IUCN, UNEP url p. 395, p. 526, p. 527, p. 532, p. 597.
- Index faunæ Novæ Zealandiæ / edited by F.W. Hutton. London: Dulau & Co., 37 Soho Square, 1904 url p. 303, p. 309.
- Index faunæ Novæ Zealandiæ, ed. by F.W. Hutton, F.R.S. Pub. for the Philosophical Institute of Canterbury, New Zealand. London, Dulau & Co., 1904. url p. 303, p. 309.
- Index generum mammalium: a list of the genera and families of mammals. By T. S. Palmer. .. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1904. url p. 221, p. 792.
- International catalogue of scientific literature. London, : Published for the International Council by the Royal Society of London, 1904-1916. url p. 1393, p. 1462, p. 5, p. 52.
- Jenaische Zeitschrift für Naturwissenschaft. Jena, Gustav Fischer [etc.]. url p. 114, p. 118, p. 375, p. 376, p. 380, p. 382, p. 383, p. 384, p. 386, p. 387, p. 390, p. 394, p. 496, p. 500, p. 501, p. 522, p. 551, p. 553, p. 556, p. 559, p. 560, p. 561, p. 563, p. 566, p. 567, p. 568, p. 569, p. 572, p. 670.
- Journal of comparative neurology. Philadelphia, Pa.: Wistar Institute of Anatomy and Biology, [1911?- url , p. 279, p. 497.
- Journal of mammalogy. Baltimore, Md.: American Society of Mammalogists url p. 47.
- Journal of the Federated Malay States museums. Kuala Lumpur: F.M.S. Museums, 1906-1929. url p. 150.
- Journal of the Royal Microscopical Society. Oxford [etc.]Royal Microscopical Society. url p. 518.
- Joy of nature: how to observe and appreciate the great outdoors / [editor, Alma E. Guinness]. Pleasantville, N.Y.: Reader's Digest Association, c1977. url p. 326, p. 346.
- Labrador, the country and the people, New York, The Macmillan co., 1913. url .
- Labrador: the country and the people / by Wilfred T. Grenfell and others. New York: Macmillan Co., 1909. url p. 459.
- Life of a Scotch naturalist, Thomas Edward, associate of the Linnean Society by Samuel Smiles. .. portrait and illustrations by George Reid, R.S.A. London: J. Murray, 1877 url p. 394.
- Life of a Scotch naturalist: Thomas Edward, associate of the Linnaean Society. New York, Harper & brothersc1876. url .
- List of the specimens of Cetacea in the Zoological Department of the British Museum. By William Henry Flower. LondonPrinted by order of the Trustees1885 url p. 24, p. 26.
- List of the specimens of cetacea in the Zoological Department of the British Museum. London, Taylor, 1885. url , .
- Loudon's Natural History. Popular descriptions, tales and anecdotes of more than five hundred animals. London, G. Bell and sons, 1889. url p. 408.
- MAB Information System: Biosphere Reserves, Compilation 4, October 1986: Supplement September 1989 UNESCO url .
- Mammalia, by W. T. Blanford, F. R. S. London: Taylor and Francis, 1888-91. url p. 587, p. 587, p. 588.
- Mammalia, recent and extinct; an elementary treatise for the use of the public schools of New South Wales. Sydney, Thomas Richards, 1873. url .
- Mammalia: their various forms and habits, popularly illustrated by typical species / London; Cassell, Petter, Galpin & Co., 1883. url p. 600.
- Mammals of the Pacific world / [by] T.D. Carter, J.E. Hill [and] G.H.H. Tate. New York: The Macmillan Company, 1945. url p. 191.
- Mammals of the Soviet Union / V.G. Heptner, A.A. Nasimovich, and A.G. Bannikov; scientific editor, Robert S. Hoffmann. Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Libraries and National Science Foundation, 1988- url , p. 556, p. 562, p. 576, p. 577, p. 587, p. 604, p. 607, p. 608, p. 610, p. 612, p. 926, p. 944.
- Manual of the natural history, geology and physics of Greenland and the neighbouring regions / prepared for the use of the Arctic expedition of 1875, under the direction of the Arctic Committee of the London: Printed for H.M.S.O., 1875. url .
- Manual of the vertebrate animals of the northern U.S.. .. inclusive of the marine species. Chicago, McClurg, 1894, c1876-88. url .
- Marine products of commerce; their acquisition, handling, biological aspects, and the science and techology of their preparation and preservation, by Donald K. Tressler and James McW. Lemon in collaboration with Alexander E. Alexander [and others] New York, Book Division, Reinhold, 1951. url p. 684, p. 714.
- Material for a bibliography of North American mammals, prepared by Theodore Gill and Elliott Coues. Extracted from the eleventh volume of the final reports of the Survey, being Appendix B of the monographs of North American Rodentia. By Elliott Coues and Washington, Govt. print. off., 1877. url p. 1045, p. 1047.
- Memo?rias do Instituto Oswaldo Cruz. Rio de Janeiro. url p. 159, p. 164.
- Memoirs of the San Diego Society of Natural History. 9 1976 San Diego, Calif.: The Society, 1931-1989. url p. 91.
- Miscellaneous publication - University of Kansas, Museum of Natural History. 1965 Lawrence: University of Kansas, 1946-1996. url p. 12, p. 13.
- Monitore zoologico italiano. [Siena]: Instituto anatomico della R. Università di Siena, [1890-1988] url p. 215, p. 230, p. 37.
- Monographs of North American Rodentia. By Elliott Coues and Joel Asaph Allen. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1877. url p. 1045, p. 1047.
- NOAA technical report NMFS SSRF. Seattle, Wash.: National Marine Fisheries Service; url p. 16, p. 6.
- Natural history of Hawaii, being an account of the Hawaiian people, the geology and geography of the islands, and the native and introduced plants and animals of the group, Honolulu, Hawaii[Printed for the author by] the Hawaiian gazette co., ltd., 1915. url p. 515.
- Natural history report. British Museum (Natural History). London:The Museum, 1914- url p. 121.
- Natural history, with anecdotes illustrating the nature, habits, manners and customs of animals, birds, fishes, reptiles, insects, etc., etc., etc / Toronto: G. N. Morang, 1900. url .
- Natural history. A manual of zoölogy for schools, colleges, and the general reader / By Sanborn Tenney. New York: Scribner, Armstrong & co., c1872. url p. 74.
- North American fauna. Washington: Fish and Wildlife Service; for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U. S. Govt. Print. Off. url p. 177, p. 221, p. 345, p. 792.
- Notes and letters on the natural history of Norfolk: more especially on the birds and fishes / London: Jarrold, 1902. url .
- Oceanus. Woods Hole, Mass., Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution url p. 11, p. 115, p. 12, p. 32, p. 33, p. 51, p. 72.
- Official lists and indexes of names and works in zoology. London, U.K.: International Trust for Zoological Nomenclature, c/o Natural History Museum, 2001. url p. 124.
- On the nomenclature of certain whales. 39 1961 [Chicago]Chicago Natural History Museum, 1961. url p. 554.
- Opinions and declarations rendered by the International Commission on Zoological Nomenclature. London, Printed by order of the International Trust for Zoological Nomenclature. url p. 182, p. 192, p. 221, p. 259, p. 382.
- Our country's animals and how to know them. A guide to the mammals, reptiles and amphibians of Great Britain. With plates and diagrams by R.E. Holding. London, Simpkin, Marshall, Hamilton, Kent url , p. 103, p. 35, p. 7, p. 97.
- Our living oceans: the first annual report on the status of U.S. living marine resources. [Washington, D.C.]: U.S. Dept. of Commerce, 1991. url p. 122.
- Outlines of economic zoölogy, by Albert M. Reese. .. with 194 illustrations. Philadelphia, P. Blakiston's Son & Co.[c1919] url .
- Outlines of evolutionary biology / by Arthur Dendy. New York: D. Appleton and company, 1914. url p. 435.
- Parasites: a treatise on the entozoa of man and animals including some account of the ectozoa / by T. Spencer Cobbold. London: J. & A. Churchill, 1879. url p. 421, p. 422, p. 426, p. 428, p. 491.
- Physical oceanography / General editor, M.N. Hill. New York: Interscience Pub., 1962. url p. 547, p. 548, p. 557, p. 852.
- Preliminary list of the mammals of New York / Gerrit S. Miller, Jr. Albany: University of the State of New York, 1899. url p. 295, p. 387.
- Proceedings - California Academy of Sciences, 4th series. San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences. url p. 370.
- Proceedings - Dorset Natural History and Archaeological Society. Dorchester, Eng. url .
- Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington. Washington, Biological Society of Washington url p. 145, p. 332, p. 462.
- Proceedings of the California Academy of Sciences. San Francisco: California Academy of Sciences, 1979- url p. 411, p. 425.
- Proceedings of the Linnean Society of New South Wales. Sydney, Linnean Society of New South Wales. url p. 136.
- Proceedings of the Royal Zoological Society of New South Wales. Mosman, New South Wales [etc.]The Society. url p. 161, p. 44.
- Proceedings of the San Diego Society of Natural History. 1994 [San Diego, Calif.]: San Diego Society of Natural History, 1990- url p. 146.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 10, p. 19, p. 58, p. 998.
- Proceedings of the section of sciences / Koninklijke Akademie van Wetenschappen te Amsterdam. Amsterdam: Johannes Müller, [1899-1937]. url p. 302, p. 725.
- Publication. Field Columbian Museum. Chicago, U.S.A.: The Museum, 1895-1909. url p. 15, p. 30, p. 54, p. 6, p. 786, p. 786, p. vi, p. xv.
- Rambles of an Australian naturalist, written by Paul Fountain. .. from the notes and journals of Thomas Ward. London, J. Murray, 1907. url p. 154, p. 332.
- Records of the Australian Museum. Sydney: Printed by order of the Trustees, 1890- url p. 13.
- Report of the Commissioner for. .. / United States Commission of Fish and Fisheries. Washington: G.P.O., 1874-1905. url , , p. 526, p. 693, p. 719.
- Report of the United States Geological Survey of the territories. F.V. Hayden, United States geologist in charge. .. [Final reports or monographs. vol. I]-III, V-XIII. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1873-90. url .
- Report on the sea fisheries and fishing industries on the Thames Estuary. London, Waterlow Bros. & Layton, 1903. url p. 28.
- Results of the Swedish zoological expedition to Egypt and the White Nile, 1901, under the direction of L.A. Jägerskiöld. [Uppsala]Library of the Royal University of Uppsala[1904-11] url p. 33.
- Science of the sea, an elementary handbook of practical oceanography for travellers, sailors, and yachtsmen, prepared by The Challenger Society. London, Murray, 1912. url p. 401.
- Science of the sea. An elementary handbook of practical oceanography for travellers, sailors, and yachtsmen, London, John Murray, 1912. url p. 401.
- Science. New York, N.Y.: [s.n.]1880- url p. 799.
- Sir William Flower, by R. Lydekker. London, E. P. Dutton & co., 1906. url p. 146, p. 183.
- Sir William Henry Flower, K. C. B., LL. D., D. C. L., late director of the Natural history museum, and president of the Royal zoological society. A personal memoir London, Macmillan and co., limited, 1904. url , .
- Sir William Henry Flower, K.C.B., F.R.S., LL.D., D.C.L., late director of the Natural History Museum, and president of the Royal Zoological Society; a personal memoir, by Charles J. Cornish. LondonMacmillan1904 url p. 257, p. 259.
- South African mammals. A short manual for the use of field naturalists, sportsmen and travellers. London: H.F. & G. Witherby, 1920. url p. 235.
- South African mammals: a short manual for the use of field naturalists, sportsmen and travellers / Alwin Haagner; with numerous illustrations. London: H.F. & G. Witherby; 1920. url p. 235, p. 241.
- South African mammals; a short manual for the use of field naturalists, sportsmen and travellers. London, H. F. & G. Witherby, 1920. url .
- Special scientific report--wildlife / U.S. Department of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service. Washington, D.C.: The Service, 1949- url p. 18.
- Special scientific report. Seattle, National Marine Fisheries Service; for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off., 1949-1971. url , p. 11, p. 110, p. 118, p. 3, p. 5, p. 6, p. 6, p. 9.
- Stellwagen Bank National Marine Sanctuary final environmental impact statement/management plan / Sanctuaries and Reserves Division. Washington, D.C.: The Division,  url p. 10, p. 29.
- Studies from the Museum of Zoology in University College, Dundee. Dundee (Scotland): Printed for the Museum, 1888-1890. url p. 5, p. 6.
- Suggestions to the keepers of the U.S. life-saving stations, light-houses, and light-ships; and to other observers, relative to the best means of collecting and preserving specimens of whales and porpoises. By Frederick W. True. Washington, Govt.Print.Off., 1884. url , p. 21, p. 8.
- Supplement to Chasen (1940) A Handlist of Malaysian Mammals: containing a generic synonymy and a complete index / By J.R. Ellerman & T.C.S. Morrison-Scott. London: BM(NH), 1955. url p. 28.
- Supplement to the Catalogue of seals and whales in the British Museum / by John Edward Gray. London: Printed by order of the Trustees, 1871. url p. 68, p. 68.
- The American natural history: a foundation of useful knowledge of the higher animals of North America / William T. Hornaday. .. illustrated by 225 original drawings. .. 151 photographs. .. and with numerous charts and maps. New York: C. Scribner's sons, 1914. url p. 334.
- The American natural history; a foundation of useful knowledge of the higher animals of North America, by William T. Hornaday. .. illustrated by 225 original drawings by Beard, Rungius, Sawyer, and others, 151 photographs, chiefly by Sanborn, Keller, and Underwood, and with numerous charts and maps; wi New York, C. Scribner's Sons, 1914. url p. 334.
- The Annals of Scottish natural history. Edinburgh: David Douglas, 1892-1911. url p. 1, p. 112, p. 181, p. 210, p. 245, p. 265, p. 47.
- The Biological bulletin. Woods Hole, Mass.: Marine Biological Laboratory, url p. 176, p. 8, p. 80.
- The British nature book; a complete handbook and guide to British nature study, embracing the mammals, birds, reptiles, fish, insects, plants, etc., in the United Kingdom, by S.N. Sedgwick. .. Edinburgh, T.C. & E.C. Jack, Ltd., 1922. url p. 24.
- The Bulletin of zoological nomenclature. London, International Trust for Zoological Nomenclature. url p. 34, p. 36.
- The Cambridge natural history / edited by S. F. Harmer and A. E. Shipley. London: Macmillan and Co.; 1895-1909. url p. 377.
- The Cambridge natural history, ed. by S.F. Harmer. .. and A.E. Shipley. .. London, Macmillan and co., limited;1895-1909 url p. 377.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. 72 1958 Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url todd , , p. 110, p. 112, p. 113, p. 122, p. 125, p. 150, p. 151, p. 154, p. 159, p. 168, p. 194, p. 228, p. 235, p. 241, p. 248, p. 251, p. 3, p. 370, p. 383, p. 455, p. 456, p. 463, p. 464, p. 465, p. 471, p. 486, p. 489, p. 514, p. 520, p. 55, p. 56, p. 561, p. 562, p. 564, p. 57, p. 571, p. 576, p. 58, p. 59, p. 60, p. 61, p. 62, p. 629, p. 63, p. 631, p. 641, p. 665, p. 72, p. 723, p. 724, p. 733, p. 738, p. 779, p. 85, p. 90.
- The Irish naturalist. Dublin: Eason & Son, Ltd., 1892- url , p. 123, p. 130, p. 74, p. 90.
- The Journal of the Bombay Natural History Society. Bombay: The Society, url .
- The Mammalia in their relation to primeval times / by Oscar Schmidt. London: K. Paul, Trench, Trübner, 1894. url , p. 250.
- The Marine Mammal Commission compendium of selected treaties, international agreements, and other relevant documents on marine resources, wildlife, and the environment / compiled by Richard L. Wallace. Washington, D.C.: The Commission; 1994 url p. 688.
- The Natural history of Enewetak Atoll / edited by Dennis M. Devaney. .. [et al.]; prepared by Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Department of Energy. Oak Ridge, Tenn.: U.S. Dept. of Energy, Office of Energy Research, Office of Health and Environmental Research, Ecological Research Division, c1987. url p. 333.
- The Naturalist. 1898 [Doncaster: Yorkshire Naturalists' Union], 1874- url p. 68.
- The Vertebrata of the Pliocene deposits of Britain. London, Printed for H.M. Stationery off., by Eyre and Spottiswoode, 1891. url .
- The Victoria history of the county of Kent; ed. by William Page. London, Constable, 1908- url , p. 302, p. 306.
- The anatomical record. [New York, etc.]A. R. Liss [etc.] url p. 45.
- The animal creation: a popular introduction to zoology / by Thomas Rymer Jones with five hundred illustrations. New York: G. P. Putnam, 1873 url p. 372.
- The animals of New Zealand; an account of the dominion's air-breathing vertebrates, by Captain F.W. Hutton and James Drummond. Christchurch, N. Z., Whitcombe and Tombs, 1909. url p. 396, p. 400, p. 60, p. 9.
- The animals of the world. Brehm's life of animals; Chicago, A. N. Marquis, 1895. url .
- The biology of senescence. New York, Rinehart, 1956. url p. 237.
- The book of the animal kingdom. Mammals, by W. Percival Westell, F.L.S. 14 coloured & 260 plain plates chiefly from photographs of the living animals, by W. E. Berridge, F.Z.S. London, J. M. Dent & sons, ltd.;1910. url p. 327, p. 327.
- The continent we live on. Photos. by Eliot Porter [and others] New York: Random House,  url , .
- The dolphin in history; papers delivered by Ashley Montagu and John C. Lilly at a symposium at the Clark Library, 13 October 1962. Los Angeles, William Andrews Clark Memorial Library, University of California, 1963. url p. 24, p. 5.
- The fisheries and fishery industries of the United States. Prepared through the co-operation of the commissioner of fisheries and the superintendent of the tenth census by George Brown Goode. .. and a staff of associates. .. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1884-87. url p. 204.
- The fisheries exhibition literature. .. London, W. Clowes, 1884. url p. 429.
- The fisheries of the Adriatic and the fish thereof: a report of the Austro-Hungarian sea-fisheries, with a detailed description of the marine fauna of the Adriatic Gulf / by G. L. Faber; with eighteen woodcut illustrations after drawings by Leo Littrow, and numerous engravings on stone. London: B. Quaritch, 1883. url , p. 177, p. 33.
- The geography of mammals, by William Lutley Sclater and Philip Lutley Sclater. London, K. Paul, Trench, Trübner & co., ltd., 1899. url , p. 207, p. 332.
- The handy natural history, by Ernest Protheroe, F.Z.S. With 318 illustrations, 136 being in full color. 1910 Boston, R.G. Badger, The Gorham press, 1910. url p. 417.
- The land and sea mammals of Middle America and the West Indies. 4 1904 Chicago: Field Columbian Museum, 1904. url list of illustrations , p. 54, p. 786, p. vi, p. xv.
- The lipids, their chemistry and biochemistry. New York, Interscience Publishers, 1951-57. url p. 372, p. 907.
- The mammalia in their relation to primeval times. London, Paul, 1885. url , p. 250.
- The mammalian fauna of the Edinburgh district: with records of occurrences of the rarer species throughout the south-east of Scotland generally 1892. Edinburgh [Scotland]: M'Farlane & Erskine, 1892. url p. 113, p. 113, p. 113, p. 13, p. 13.
- The mammals of Africa: country lists. Draft document IUCN Conservation Monitoring Centre, UNEP, WWF url .
- The mammals of China and Mongolia / by Glover M. Allen. New York: American Museum of Natural History, 1938-1940. url p. 500.
- The mammals of Pennsylvania and New Jersey. A biographic, historic and descriptive account of the furred animals of land and sea, both living and extinct, known to have existed in these states. .. Philadelphia, Privately published, 1903. url , .
- The mammals of South Africa / by W.L. Sclater. .. London: R.H. Porter, 1900-01. url , , p. 208, p. 209, p. 210.
- The mammals of the Caucasus; a history of the evolution of the fauna. (Mlekopitayushchie Kavkaza; istoriya formirovaniya fauny). [By] N. K. Vereskchagin. Chief editor: E. N. Pavlovskii. Editor of this volume: A. A. Strelkov. Translated from Russian [by A. Lerman and B. Rabinovich. Edited by M. Loeb] Jerusalem: Israel Program for Scientific Translations [available from the U.S. Dept. of Commerce, Clearinghouse for Federal Scientific and Technical Information, Springfield, Va.], 1967. url p. 170, p. 68.
- The marine mammals in the Anatomical Museum of the University of Edinburgh / by Sir Wm. Turner. London: Macmillan, 1912. url , p. 131, p. 135.
- The natural history of South Africa. .. London, Longmans, Green and Co., 1919-20. url , , .
- The natural history of animals (class Mammalia-animals which suckle their young), in word and picture, London, Blackie[188-?] url , , .
- The natural history of animals: (class Mammalia--animals which suckle their young), in word and picture / by Carl Vogt and Friedrich Specht; translated and edited with additions by George G. Chisholm. London: Blackie & Son, [1889?] url p. v.
- The natural history of animals: the animal life of the world in its various aspects and relations, London, The Gresham Publishing Company, 1903-04. url .
- The new natural history, by Richard Lydekker. .. and R. Bowdler Sharpe, H.A. MacPherson, F.O. Pickard-Cambridge, W.R. Ogilvie Grant, C.J. Gahan, F.A. Bather, Edgar A. Smith, R.I. Pocock, M. Bernard, H. Bernard and R. Kirkpatr New York, Merrill and Baker[189-?] url p. 58.
- The new natural history. New York, Merrill, c1901. url p. 1231.
- The parasites of man, and the diseases which proceed from them; a textbook for students and practitioners. Tr. from the German, with the co-operation of the author, by William E. Hoyle. Edinburgh, Pentland, 1886. url p. 758.
- The royal natural history / edited by Richard Lydekker; with preface by P.L. Sclater; illustrated with seventy-two coloured plates and sixteen hundred engravings by W. Kuhnert, F. Specht, P.J. Smit, G. Mützel, A.T. Elwes, J. W London and New York: Frederick Warne & Co., 1893-1896. url p. 58.
- The royal natural history. With pref. by P. L. Sclater. Illustrated with 72 col. plates and 1600 engravings. London, F. Warne, 1893-96. url p. 58.
- The structure of man an index to his past history, by Dr. R. Wiedersheim. .. Tr. by H. and M. Bernard, the translation ed. and annotated, and a preface written by G. B. Howes.. .. With 105 figures in the text. LondonMacmillan and co., 1895. url p. 176.
- The whalebone whales of the western North Atlantic compared with those occurring in European waters, with some observations on the species of the North Pacific. By Frederick W. True. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1904. url p. 65.
- The wild beasts of the world / by Frank Finn; illustrated with 100 reproductions in full colours from drawings by Louis Sargent, Cuthbert E. Swan, and Winifred Austin. London: T. C. & E. C. Jack, [1909?] url , p. 135.
- The wild beasts of the world / illustrated by Louis Sargent and others. London, Jack, 1909. url .
- The wild beasts of the world; Edinburgh, T. C. & E. C. Jack,  url , .
- Transactions of the Essex Field Club. Buckhurst Hill, Essex: The Club, 1880-1886. url p. 178.
- Transactions of the New York Academy of Sciences. New York: New York Academy of Sciences. url p. 18, p. 50.
- Transactions of the Royal Society of South Australia. Adelaide, Australia: The Society, 1890-1903. url p. 287, p. 9.
- Transactions of the San Diego Society of Natural History. 3 1921 [San Diego]: The Society, 1905-1989. url p. 44, p. 44.
- Transactions of the South African Philosophical Society. 9 1895 Cape Town, : The Society. url p. xxix.
- University of California publications in zoology. Berkeley: University Press, 1906- url p. 324.
- Variability of mammals = Izmenchivost' mlekopitayushchikh / A. V. Yablokov; rev. by the author for this ed.; scientific editor of translation, L. Van Valen. New Delhi: available from the U. S. Dept of Commerce, National Technical Information Service, 1974. url p. 152, p. 154, p. 169, p. 236, p. 240, p. 294, p. 41.
- Vertebrate zoo?logy, New York, Macmillan, 1920. url , .
- Vertebrate zoölogy, by Horatio Hackett Newman New York, The Macmillan company, 1920 url p. 401, p. 421.
- Veröffentlichungen der Zoologischen Staatssammlung München. München: Die Staatssammlung, url p. 133, p. 206, p. 219.
- Whales / Translated by A.J. Pomerans. New York: Basic Books,  url p. 420, p. 442, p. 443, p. 453, p. 455.
- Whales, dolphins, and porpoises of the western North Atlantic / Stephen Leatherwood, David K. Caldwell, and Howard E. Winn, with special assistance by William E. Schevill and Melba C. Caldwell. Seattle: U.S. Dept. of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, National Marine Fisheries Service, 1976. url , p. 16.
- Wild life of the world: a descriptive survey of the geographical distribution of animals / 2 London; F. Warne and co., 1916. url p. 243, p. 427, p. 430.
- World Checklist of Threatened Mammals JNCC url p. 149, p. 59.
- Zoologica; scientific contributions of the New York Zoological Society. New York. url p. 226, p. 292.
- Zoological Society bulletin. [New York]: New York Zoological Society. url p. 1083, p. 494.
- Zoological classification; a handy book of reference with tables of the subkingdoms, classes, orders, etc., of the animal kingdom, their characters and lists of the families and principal genera. London, J. Van Voorst, 1880. url p. 254.
- Zoologische Jahrbücher. Abteilung für Anatomie und Ontogenie der Tiere Jena [Germany]:G. Fischer, c -1993. url p. 15, p. 17, p. 191, p. 228, p. 237, p. 265, p. 266, p. 283, p. 290, p. 293.
- Bearzi, G. 2003. Delphinus delphis (Mediterranean subpopulation). In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloadedon 31January2012.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 10, 2012.
- Hammond, P.S., Bearzi, G., Bjørge, A., Forney, K., Karczmarski, L., Kasuya, T., Perrin, W.F., Scott, M.D., Wang, J.Y., Wells, R.S. & Wilson, B. 2008. Delphinus delphis. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloadedon 31January2012.
- IUCN 2012. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. . Downloaded on January 28, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 17, 2007:
- EMAN Provider, PIROP
- European Environment Agency, EUNIS
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University, Bay of Fundy Species List
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University, Canada Maritimes Regional Cetacean Sightings
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University, SEAMAP - marine mammals, birds and turtles
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University, Taxonomic Information Sytem for the Belgian coastal area
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University, iziko South African Museum - Marine Mammal Collection
- Museum of Comparative Zoology, Harvard University, MCZ Mammalogy Collection
- Museum of Vertebrate Zoology, Terrestrial vertebrate specimens
- Provider, Online Zoological Collections of Australian Museums
- Royal Ontario Museum, Mammal specimens
- The Swedish Museum of Natural History
- , Mammals
- UK National Biodiversity Network, Countryside Council for Wales - Pembrokeshire Marine Species Atlas
- UK National Biodiversity Network, Highland Biological Recording Group - HBRG Mammals dataset.
- UNIBIO, IBUNAM, CNMA/Coleccion Nacional de Mamiferos
- University of Alaska Museum of the North, University of Alaska Museum Mammal Collection
- University of Alaska Museum of the North, University of New Mexico Museum of Southwestern Biology Mammal Collection
- University of Washington Burke Museum, Mammal Specimens
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 2478510
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-180438
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 2494622
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 180438
- IUCN ID: 204711
- Natural Heritage Network Species Identifier: AMAGE03010
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 4076
- Standard Deviation = 45.970 based on 123,630 observations. Terrestrial altitude and ocean depth information for each observation from British Oceanographic Data Centre. [back]
- Bearzi, G. 2003. Delphinus delphis (Mediterranean subpopulation). In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloaded on 31 January 2012. [back]
- Hammond, P.S., Bearzi, G., Bjørge, A., Forney, K., Karczmarski, L., Kasuya, T., Perrin, W.F., Scott, M.D., Wang, J.Y., Wells, R.S. & Wilson, B. 2008. Delphinus delphis. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloaded on 31 January 2012. [back]