Family : Mudminnows ; Usually found in heavily vegetated swamps and ponds ; occasionally in medium to large rivers and lakes with abundant vegetation. Migrations appear to be limited to inshore or upstream movements to spawning grounds in the spring and (presumably) reverse migrations to deeper water in the fall . Oviparous , batch spawner . Known for their tolerance to cold water : survives exposures to -20¦C for up to 40 minutes, and can survive for a few days after complete freezing of parts of the body, even the head . Uses its esophagus as auxiliary breathing organ.
Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Danish:
Common Names in English:
Alaska blackfish, Blackfish
Common Names in French:
Common Names in German:
Common Names in Mandarin Chinese:
Common Names in Polish:
Dalia a. czarna ryba
Common Names in Russian:
Chernaya ryba, Dalliya, даллия, черная рыба
Common Names in Swedish:
Species Dallia pectoralis
Males are commonly 11 cm (Total Length) in length when caught/marketed, but may be as large as 33 cm (Total Length).
Biome: Marine .
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Bateson, 1885
- Cuvier, 1812
- Jawed Vertebrates
- Superclass: Osteichthyes () - Huxley, 1880
- Infraphylum: Gnathostomata () - auct. - Jawed Vertebrates
- Subphylum: Vertebrata () - Cuvier, 1812 - Vertebrates
- Phylum: Chordata () - Bateson, 1885 - Chordates
- Infrakingdom: Chordonia () - (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Deuterostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Dalia Pectoralis • Dalia pectoralis Bean • Dalia pectoralis Bean, 1880 • Pylodictus olivaris (Rafinesque • Silurus olivaris Rafinesque
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: Data last modified by FishBase 11-May-1994
Members of the genus Dallia
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 1 species and subspecies in this genus:
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- ... The genera of fishes. .. A contribution to the stability of scientific nomenclature. By David Starr Jordan. Stanford University, Calif., The University, 1917-1920. url p. 398.
- A catalogue of the fishes known to inhabit the waters of North America, north of the Tropic of Cancer, with notes on the species discovered in 1883 and 1884, by David Starr Jordan. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1885. url p. 51.
- A guide to the study of fishes, New York, H. Holt, 1905. url , , , .
- A guide to the study of fishes, by David Starr Jordan. .. New York, H. Holt and Company, 1905. url p. 149, p. 206, p. xiv.
- A history of fishes; illus. by W. P. C. Tenison. New York, A. A. Wyn, 1949. url p. 73.
- A list of common and scientific names of fishes from the United States and Canada. Report presented at the eighty-ninth annual meeting, Clearwater, Fla., Sept. 16-18, 1959. Ann Arbor, Mich., 1960. url p. 12.
- A plan for an educational exhibit of fishes. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1910. url p. 1334.
- A treatise on zoology London, A. and C. Black, 1900-1909 url p. 399.
- A treatise on zoology. London, Adam and Charles Black, 1900-1909 url p. 399.
- American fishes; a popular treatise upon the game and food fishes of North America, with especial reference to habits and methods of capture, Boston, L. C. Page[c1903]. url , .
- American food and game fishes. A popular account of all the species found in America north of the equator, with keys for ready identification, life histories and methods of capture, . by David Starr Jordan...and Barton Warren Evermann...illustrated with colored plates and text drawings, and with photographs from life, by A. Radclyffe Dugmore. Garden City, N.Y., Doubleday, Page & Co., 1908. url p. 232, p. 554.
- American food and game fishes: A popular account of all the species found in America north of the equator, with keys of ready identification, life histories and methods of capture New York: Doubleday, Page & co., 1902. url , p. 232.
- American food and game fishes: a popular account of all the species found in America, north of the equator, with keys for ready identification, life histories and methods of capture, by David Starr Jordan and Barton Warren Evermann; with photos. from life by A. Radclyffe Dugmore. New York: Doubleday, Page, 1908, c1902. url p. 232, p. 554.
- Anatomischer Anzeiger. Jena: G. Fischer, 1886- url p. 23.
- Breviora. 1982 Cambridge, Mass.: Museum of Comparative Zoology, Harvard University, [1952- url p. 17.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url , p. 244, p. 33, p. 350, p. 403, p. 415, p. 470.
- Bulletin / Smithsonian Institution, Bureau of American Ethnology. Washington: G.P.O., 1901-1971. url p. 37.
- Bulletin of the Biological Society of Washington. Washington, D.C.: The Society, 1918- url p. 61.
- Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History). London: BM(NH) url p. 219, p. 228.
- Bulletin of the Bureau of Fisheries. Washington, D.C.: Govt. Print. Off., 1905-1950. url , , p. 1334, p. 223, p. 272.
- Current bibliography for aquatic sciences and fisheries. London, Taylor & Francis ltd. url p. 255, p. 537, p. 735, p. 756.
- Dean bibliography of fishes. New York: American Museum of Natural History, 1971-1973. url p. 144, p. 183, p. 185, p. 187, p. 589, p. 653.
- Ecological animal geography; an authorized, rewritten edition based on Tiergeographie auf ockologischer grundlage / by Richard Hesse. .. prepared by W. C. Allee. .. and Karl P. Schmidt. .. New York: J. Wiley & Sons, Inc.; 1937. url p. 567.
- Fish skulls; a study of the evolution of natural mechanisms. Laurel, Fla., E. Lundberg, 1959. url p. 216, p. 466, p. 97.
- Fishery circular / U.S. Department of Commerce, Bureau of Fisheries. [Washington]: The Bureau, 1931-1939. url p. 20.
- Fishes, New York, H. Holt and Company, 1907. url .
- Ingalik contact ecology: an ethnohistory of the lower-middle Yukon, James W. VanStone, Curator, North American Archaeology and Ethnology, Field Museum of Natural History. Chicago: Field Museum of Natural History, 1979. url p. 13.
- Journal of the Washington Academy of Sciences. Washington [etc., Washington Academy of Sciences] url p. 178, p. 670.
- NOAA technical report NMFS SSRF. Seattle, Wash.: National Marine Fisheries Service; url p. 9.
- Ontogeny and systematics of fishes: based on an international symposium dedicated to the memory of Elbert Halvor Ahlstrom / sponsored by the National Marine Fisheries Service, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, United States Dept. of Commerce. [New York?]: American Society of Ichthyologists and Herpetologists, c1984. url p. 732.
- Pamphlets on forestry. Fish and game. [1900?- url , p. 3210, p. 3254.
- Principles of animal ecology, by W. C. Allee [and others] Philadelphia, Saunders Co., 1949. url p. 104.
- Problems of polar research; a series of papers by thirty-one authors. New York, American geographical society, 1928. url p. 161, p. 466.
- Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington. Washington, Biological Society of Washington url , p. 285.
- Proceedings of the California Academy of Sciences. San Francisco: California Academy of Sciences, 1979- url p. 199, p. 200, p. 220, p. 324.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 104, p. 255, p. 268, p. 271, p. 312, p. 358, p. 492.
- Report of the Commissioner for. .. / United States Commission of Fish and Fisheries. Washington: G.P.O., 1874-1905. url p. 308, p. 308, p. 403, p. 403, p. 478, p. 478, p. 839.
- Report of the Commissioner of Fisheries for the fiscal year. .. and special papers Washington: G.P.O., 1906-1914. url p. 62, p. 76.
- Report of the United States Commissioner of Fisheries for the fiscal year. .. with appendixes Washington: G.P.O., 1914- url p. 172, p. 62.
- Report upon natural history collections made in Alaska between the years 1877 and 1881 Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1887. url , .
- Reptiles, amphibia, fishes and lower chordata, by Richard Lydekker, J. T. Cunningham, G. A. Boulenger, and J. A. Thomson. With four plates in colour, thirty-three in monotone, a map and many text figures. London: Methuen,  url p. 293.
- Science sketches, Chicago, A. C. McClurg and company, 1896. url .
- Science sketches, by David Starr Jordan. Chicago, A. C. McClurg and company, 1896. url p. 103.
- Smithsonian miscellaneous collections. 22 1882 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1862-1968. url p. 104, p. 255, p. 268, p. 271, p. 350, p. 358, p. 552.
- Some considerations on the distribution of fishes in Ontario. [Toronto]: Printed by the University of Toronto Press, 1944. url p. 34.
- Special scientific report. Seattle, National Marine Fisheries Service; for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off., 1949-1971. url .
- Syllogeus. Ottawa, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1972-1995. url p. 102.
- The Biological bulletin. Woods Hole, Mass.: Marine Biological Laboratory, url p. 258.
- The Cambridge natural history, London, Macmillan and Co., Limited;1895-1909 url , .
- The Cambridge natural history, ed. by S.F. Harmer. .. and A.E. Shipley. .. London, The Macmillan, Company, 1895-1909 url p. 610, p. 610, p. 611, p. 737.
- The Cherry collection of Deg Hit'an (Ingalik) material culture / James W. VanStone. Chicago, Ill.: Field Museum of Natural History, 1996. url .
- The Eskimo about Bering strait by Edward William Nelson. Washington: U.S.G.P.O., 1900. url p. 184, p. 184.
- The Nautilus. Melbourne, Fla., etc., American Malacologists, inc., etc. url p. 15.
- The commercial fisheries of Alaska in 1905 Washington, Gov't print. off., 1906. url p. 44.
- The fisheries and fishery industries of the United States. Prepared through the co-operation of the commissioner of fisheries and the superintendent of the tenth census by George Brown Goode. .. and a staff of associates. .. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1884-87. url p. 861.
- The fishes of North and Middle America a descriptive catalogue of the species of fish-like vertebrates found in the waters of North America, north of the Isthmus of Panama / by David Starr Jordan and Barton Warren Evermann. Washington: G.P.O., 1898. url , .
- The fur seals and fur-seal islands of the North Pacific ocean. Washington, Govt. Print. Off.1898-99. url , .
- The genera of fishes. ..: A contribution to the stability of scientific nomenclature / By David Starr Jordan. Stanford University, Calif.: The University, 1917-1920. url p. 398.
- The voyage of the Vega round Asia and Europe; with a historical review of previous journeys along the north coast of the Old World, by A.E. Nordenkiöld, tr. by Alexander Leslie, with five steel portraits, numerous maps, and illustrations. New York, Macmillan and Co., 1882. url p. 444.
- Threatened wildlife of the United States. Washington, Bureau of Sport Fisheries and Wildlife [for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off.]1973. url p. 27.
- Vertebrata craniata (First fascile: cyclostomes and fishes). London: Adam and Charles Black, 1909. url p. 399.
- American Fisheries Society. Common and Scientific Names of Fishes from the United states, Canada, and Mexico Sixth Edition. Special Publication 29.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 10, 2012.
- FishBase. Release date: January 5, 2010
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility. Accessed March 01, 2008. http://www.gbif.org Mediated distribution data from 5 providers.
- NatureServe. 2003. Downloadable animal data sets. NatureServe Central Databases. Accessed February 6, 2005.
- Ruggiero M., Gordon D., Bailly N., Kirk P., Nicolson D. (2011). The Catalogue of Life Taxonomic Classification, Edition 2, Part A. In: Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2011 Annual Checklist (Bisby F.A., Roskov Y.R., Orrell T.M., Nicolson D., Paglinawan L.E., Bailly N., Kirk P.M., Bourgoin T., Baillargeon G., Ouvrard D., eds). DVD; Species 2000: Reading, UK.
- Williams, Jeffrey T. (from FishBase).
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal March 01, 2008:
- Alaska Ocean Observing System: Arctic Ocean Diversity
- Burke Museum: University of Washington Fish Collection
- Canadian Museum of Nature: Canadian Museum of Nature Fish Collection
- Cornell University Museum of Vertebrates: Fish Collection
- FishBase: FishBase DiGIR Provider - Philippine Server
- GBIF-Sweden: Fishes (NRM)
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: Canadian Museum of Nature - Fish Collection (OBIS Canada)
- Royal Ontario Museum: Fish specimens
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 125617
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: Fis-29905
- Fishbase Species ID: 2705
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 2494459
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 162159
- Natural Heritage Network Species Identifier: AFCHD02010
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 15754
- Page, L.M. and B.M. Burr (1991). A field guide to freshwater fishes of North America north of Mexico. Houghton Mifflin Company, Boston. 432 p. [back]
- Morrow, J.E. (1980). The freshwater fishes of Alaska. University of. B.C. Animal Resources Ecology Library. 248p. [back]
- Breder, C.M. and D.E. Rosen (1966). Modes of reproduction in fishes. T.F.H. Publications, Neptune City, New Jersey. 941 p. [back]
- Borodin, N.A. (1934). The anabiosis or phenomenon of resuscitation of fishes after being frozen. Zool. Jahrb., Abt. Allg. Zool. Physiol. Teire 53(3): 313-342. [back]
- Scholander P.F., W. Flagg, R.J. Hock and L. Irving (1953). Studies on the physiology of frozen plants and animals in the Arctic. J. Cell. Comp. Physiol. 42, Supp. 1: 1-56. [back]
- Bone, Q. and N.B. Marshall (1985). Biologie der Fische. Gustav Fischer Verlag, Stuttgart, Germany. 236 p. [back]