Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Danish:
Almindelig stenbider, Kulso, Kvabso, Stenbider
Common Names in Dutch:
Common Names in English:
Kiark-varrey, Lump, Lumpfish, Lumpsucker
Common Names in Estonian:
Common Names in Faroese:
Gr, Grárognkelsi, Rey, Reyðrognkelsi, Rognkelsi
Common Names in Finnish:
Common Names in French:
Grosse L, grosse poule de mer, Lompe, Lump
Common Names in Gaelic, Irish:
An L, An léasán leice
Common Names in German:
Deutscher Kaviar, Kaviar, Lump, Seehase
Common Names in Greenlandic:
Angusalluk, Arnarluk, Nipisa
Common Names in Icelandic:
Common Names in Inuktitut:
Angusatdluk, Angusedlok, Arnardlok, Arnardluk, Lepisuk, Nepisa, Nipisa, Qorkshuyoq
Common Names in Irish:
An léasán leice
Common Names in Italian:
Common Names in Japanese:
Common Names in Latvian:
Common Names in Lithuanian:
Common Names in Mandarin Chinese:
Common Names in Norwegian:
Rognkall, Rognkjaeks, Rognkjeks
Common Names in Polish:
Common Names in Portuguese:
Common Names in Russian:
воробеи морской, круглопер, пинагор
Common Names in Spanish:
Cicloptero, Liebre de mar, Lumpo
Common Names in Swedish:
Kaviar, Kvabbso, Sjurygg, Stenbit
During the spawning season the male becomes reddish in color on the underside, whereas the female is blue-green.
The largest male ever caught weighed 9500 grams ; the largest female weighed 5000 grams.
Inhabits rocky bottoms but may occur among floating seaweed. May be found at depths of 50 to 400 meters. Usually found at depths of 50 to 150 meters.
Typically found in water with a depth of 0 to -5,403 meters (0 to -17,726 feet).
Biome: Marine .
Oceanodromous . Migrates considerable distances in an annual cycle between deeper waters in winter and shallower waters in summer (Ref. 26141).
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Bateson, 1885
- Cuvier, 1812
- Jawed Vertebrates
- Huxley, 1880
- Huxley, 1880
- Superorder: Acanthopterygii ()
- Cohort: Clupeocephala ()
- Infraclass: Actinopteri ()
- Subclass: Actinopterygii ()
- Class: Actinopterygii () - Huxley, 1880
- Superclass: Osteichthyes () - Huxley, 1880
- Infraphylum: Gnathostomata () - auct. - Jawed Vertebrates
- Subphylum: Vertebrata () - Cuvier, 1812 - Vertebrates
- Phylum: Chordata () - Bateson, 1885 - Chordates
- Infrakingdom: Chordonia () - (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Deuterostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Cyclopterus caeruleus Mitchill • Cyclopterus coronatus Couch • Cyclopterus lumpus hudsonius Cox • Cyclopterus minutus Pallas • Cyclopterus pavoninus Shaw • Cyclopterus pyramidatus Shaw • Lumpus anglorum Dekay • Lumpus vulgaris Mcmurtrie
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: Data last modified by FishBase 22-Sep-1995
Members of the genus Cyclopterus
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 11 species and subspecies in this genus:
C. bimaculatus (Two-Spotted Clingfish) · C. callyodon (Spotted Snailfish) · C. dentex (Shore Clingfish) · C. liparis (Striped Seasnail) · C. littoreus (Giant Clingfish) · C. lumpus (Kiark-Varrey) · C. montagui (Montagu's Sea-Snail) · C. nudus (Riverine Clingfish) · C. orbis (Pacific Spiny Lumpsucker) · C. spinosus (Atlantic Spiny Lumpsucker) · C. ventricosus (Bent - Tooth Bristlemouth)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- ... Catalogue of the fishes of New York. By Tarleton H. Bean. .. Albany, University of the state of New York, 1903. url p. 649, p. 650.
- ... The genera of fishes. .. A contribution to the stability of scientific nomenclature. By David Starr Jordan. Stanford University, Calif., The University, 1917-1920. url p. 101, p. 12, p. 171, p. 42.
- A System of natural history: containing scientifci [sic] and popular descriptions of man, quadrupeds, birds, fishes, reptiles and insects / chiefly compiled from the various works of Cuvier, Griffith, Richardson, Geoffrey, Lacepede, Buffon, Goldsmith, Shaw, Montague, Wilson, Lewis and Clarke, Audubon, and other writers on natural history Boston: Carter, Hendee, & Co.; 1834. url p. 743.
- A bibliography of fishes, New York, American Museum of Natural History, 1916-1923. url , , , , , .
- A bibliography of fishes, by Bashford Dean. .. New York: American Museum of Natural History, 1916-1923. url p. 109, p. 309, p. 309, p. 31, p. 389, p. 405, p. 405, p. 415, p. 415, p. 431, p. 431, p. 525, p. 525, p. 539, p. 539, p. 549, p. 549, p. 85, p. 86, p. 86.
- A biological survey of the waters of Woods Hole and vicinity / By Francis B. Sumner, Raymond C. Osburn, and Leon J. Cole. Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1913 url p. 163, p. 164, p. 641, p. 765, p. 842.
- A catalogue of the fishes known to inhabit the waters of North America, north of the Tropic of Cancer, with notes on the species discovered in 1883 and 1884, by David Starr Jordan. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1885. url p. 153.
- A checklist of Canadian Atlantic fishes with keys for identification / Toronto, Royal Ontario Museum, 1965 url p. 17, p. 82, p. 96.
- A classified list of Cambro-Silurian and Post-Tertiary fossils, from Ottawa and vicinity by Henry M. Ami. Ottawa: Citizen, 1884. url .
- A guide book to the marine fishes of Rhode Island. Photos by the author. Watch Hill, R. I., Book and Tackle Shop url p. 128, p. 69.
- A guide to Belfast and the counties of Down & Antrim / prepared for the meeting of the British Association by the Belfast Naturalists' Field Club. Belfast: M'Caw, Stevenson & Orr, ltd., 1902. url p. 174.
- A guide to the natural history of the Isle of Wight: a series of contributions by specialists relating to the various branches of natural history and kindred subjects / edited by Frank Morey. Newport, Isle of Wight: The County Press, 1909. url p. 480.
- A guide to the study of fishes, New York, H. Holt, 1905. url , , .
- A guide to the study of fishes, by David Starr Jordan. .. New York, H. Holt and Company, 1905. url , p. 453, p. 455, p. xx.
- A handbook of the vertebrate fauna of Yorkshire: being a catalogue of British mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians, and fishes / by Wm. Eagle Clarke, and Wm. Denison Roebuck. London: Reeve, 1881. url p. 111, p. 111.
- A history of British birds / by William Yarrell; ill. by 550 wood-engravings. London: John Van Voorst, 1856. url p. 618.
- A history of British birds by William Yarrell; illustrated by 535 wood-engravings. London: J. Van Voorst, 1845. url p. 599.
- A history of British birds. London, J. Van Voorst, 1871-85. url p. 640.
- A history of British fishes / by William Yarrell. ..; illustrated by nearly 400 woodcuts. .. London: John Van Voorst. .., 1836. url p. 270.
- A history of British fishes. By William Yarrell. .. London, J. Van Voorst, 1841. url p. 365.
- A history of Scandinavian fishes / by B. Fries, C. U. Ekström and C. Sundevall; with coloured plates by W. von Wright and text illustrations. Stockholm: P.A. Norstedt & söner, 1892-1895. url , p. 294.
- A history of fishes; illus. by W. P. C. Tenison. New York, A. A. Wyn, 1949. url p. 82.
- A history of the fishes of Massachusetts / by David Humphreys Storer. Boston: Dakin & Metcalf, 1867. url p. 208.
- A history of the fishes of the British islands / by Jonathan Couch. London: Groombridge, 1868-1869. url p. 183.
- A history of the menhaden / by G. Brown Goode; with an account of the agricultural uses of fish by W. O. Atwater and an introduction bringing the subject down to date. New York: Orange Judd Co., 1880. url p. 521.
- A list of common and scientific names of fishes from the United States and Canada. Report presented at the eighty-ninth annual meeting, Clearwater, Fla., Sept. 16-18, 1959. Ann Arbor, Mich., 1960. url p. 41.
- A manual of marine zoology for the British Isles / by Philip Henry Gosse London: J. Van Voorst, 1855-1856 url p. 166, p. 230.
- A manual of the vertebrate animals of the northern United States, including the district north and east of the Ozark mountains, south of the Laurentian hills, north of the southern boundary of Virgini by David Starr Jordan. Chicago: A.C. McClurg, 1910. url p. 154.
- A monograph on the structure and development of the shoulder-girdle and sternum on the Vertebrata. By W. Kitchen Parker... London: R. Hardwicke, 1868. url p. 78.
- A natural history of the seas, by E. G. Boulenger... New York, D. Appleton-Century company, incorporated.1936. url p. 167.
- A plan for an educational exhibit of fishes. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1910. url p. 1338.
- A student's text-book of zoology / by Adam Sedgwick. London: S. Sonnenschein and co.; 1898-1909. url p. 242.
- A student's text-book of zoology, by Adam Sedgwick. .. London, Macmillan Co., 1898-1909. url p. 242.
- A synopsis of the fishes of North America / by David Humphreys Storer. Cambridge: Metcalf, 1846. url p. 229, p. 8.
- A text-book of physiological chemistry for student of medicine and physicians Philadelphia and New York, Lea brothers & co., 1907 url p. 52.
- A tour in Sutherlandshire, with extracts from the fieldbooks of a sportsman and naturalist. By Charles St. John... With woodcuts. London: J. Murray, 1849. url p. 366.
- A treatise on zoology / edited by E. Ray Lankester. London: A. & C. Black, 1900-1909. url p. 247.
- A treatise on zoology London, A. and C. Black, 1900-1909 url p. 266.
- A vertebrate fauna of the Orkney Islands / by Thomas E. Buckley and J.A. Harvie-Brown. Edinburgh: D. Douglas, 1891. url p. 275.
- A voyage to Hudson's Bay, during the summer of 1812. Containing a particular account of the icebergs and other phenomena which present themselves in those regions; also, a description of the Esquimeaux and North American India By Thomas M'Keevor. .. London: Printed for Sir R. Phillips and Co., 1819. url p. 95.
- Abstract of the proceedings of the Linnaean Society of New York. [New York]: The Society, [1889-1932]. url p. 103, p. 113.
- Acta Societatis pro Fauna et Flora Fennica. Helsinki: Societas, 1875-1980. url p. 17, p. 18, p. 19, p. 195, p. 20, p. 23, p. 25, p. 27, p. 28, p. 29, p. 31, p. 33, p. 63, p. 64, p. 65, p. 7.
- American fisheries: a history of the menhaden, by G. Brown Goode; with an account of the agricultural uses of fish by W. O. Atwater, and an introduction, bringing the subject down to date. New York, Orange Judd, 1880. url p. 521.
- American fishes; a popular treatise upon the game and food fishes of North America, with especial reference to habits and methods of capture, Boston, L. C. Page[c1903]. url .
- An annotated catalogue of the fishes of Maine. Portland, Me., 1914. url p. 105, p. 120, p. 123, p. 129, p. 132, p. 139, p. 150, p. 153, p. 169, p. 60, p. 73.
- An ecological characterization of Coastal Maine (north and east of Cape Elizabeth) / Stewart I. Fefer and Patricia S. Schettig: principal investigators. Newton Corner, Mass.: Department of the Interior, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Northeast Region, 1980. url , , , .
- An illustrated dictionary of medicine, biology and allied sciences. .. by George M. Gould. 5th ed., with additions and corrections. PhiladelphiaP. Blakiston's Son1907 url p. 201.
- An index to the generic and trivial names of animals, described by Linnaeus, in the 10th and 12th editions of his "Systema naturae." London: Dulau & co., 1899. url p. 93.
- An introduction to the natural history of fishes: being the article "Ichthyology, " from. .. the Encyclopædia Britannica / by James Wilson. 1838 Edinburgh, etc.: Adam and Charles Black, [et al.]1838. url p. 8.
- An outline of the natural history of our shores, by Joseph Sinel with chapters on collecting and preserving marine specimens, methods of microscopic mounting, etc., and on the marine aquarium. London, Swan Sonnenschein & Co., 1906. url p. 275.
- Anatomischer Anzeiger. Jena: G. Fischer, 1886- url , p. 141, p. 155, p. 167, p. 23, p. 32, p. 338, p. 39, p. 5, p. 533, p. 555, p. 57, p. 635, p. 7.
- Animal life and the world of nature: a magazine of natural history throughout the world. London: Hutchinson, 1902-1904. url .
- Animal parasites and messmates. New York, D. Appleton and Co., 1876. url .
- Animate creation; popular edition of "Our Living World" a natural history, by the Rev. J. G. Wood. Revised and adapted to American zoology, by Joseph B. Holder. New York, S. Hess url p. 254.
- Annals of natural history. London, R. and J.E. Taylor, url p. 28, p. 28, p. 41, p. 43, p. 43, p. 43, p. 468, p. 468, p. 468, p. 9.
- Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences. New York, New York Academy of Sciences. url p. 311.
- Annual report / New York State Museum. Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, c1904-1920. url p. 649.
- Annual report of the Board of Regents of the Smithsonian Institution. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, -1965. url p. 107, p. 128, p. 128, p. 220, p. 229, p. 329, p. 50, p. 61, p. 676, p. 799, p. 93.
- Annual report of the Commissioners of Fisheries, Game and Forests of the State of New York. Albany, N.Y.: The Commission, 1896-1900 url p. 245.
- Annual report of the New Jersey State Museum. Trenton, N.J.: MacCrellish & Quigley, url p. 378, p. 399.
- Annual report of the New York Zoological Society. New York: The Society, 1897- url p. 131.
- Annual report of the Regents / Albany: J.B. Lyon, State Printer, 1890-1903. url p. 22.
- Bibliographia zoologiæ et geologiæ. A general catalogue of all books, tracts, and memoirs on zoology and geology. London, Ray society, 1848-54. url .
- Bibliography and catalogue of the fossil vertebrata of North America, by Oliver Perry Hay. Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1902. url p. 407, p. 77.
- Biology of the seas of the U.S.S.R. Translated by S. Botcharskaya. New York, Interscience Publishers url p. 210, p. 309, p. 911.
- British salt-water fishes / by F. G. Aflalo; with a chapter on the artificial culture of sea fish by R. B. Marston; with coloured plates. London: Hutchinson & Co., 1904. url p. 164.
- British salt-water fishes, London, Hutchinson, 1904. url .
- Bulletin - New York State Museum. Albany: New York State Education Dept. url p. 649.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url , p. 107, p. 115, p. 1200, p. 1265, p. 17, p. 174, p. 179, p. 2096, p. 310.
- Bulletin of the American Museum of Natural History. New YorkAmerican Museum of Natural History1881- url p. 370.
- Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History). London: BM(NH) url p. 109, p. 13, p. 22, p. 221, p. 32.
- Bulletin of the Bureau of Fisheries. Washington, D.C.: Govt. Print. Off., 1905-1950. url p. 163, p. 164, p. 334, p. 5, p. 536, p. 557.
- Bulletin of the Essex Institute. Salem, Mass., Essex Institute. url p. 11, p. 32, p. 36.
- Bulletin of the Museum of Comparative Zoology at Harvard College. Cambridge, Mass.: The Museum, 1863- url p. 10, p. 109, p. 147, p. 215, p. 215, p. 272, p. 282.
- Bulletin of the United States Fish Commission. Washington, The Commission, Govt. Print. Off. url p. 255, p. 386, p. 475, p. 477.
- Bulletin. Salem, Mass. url , , , p. 11, p. 32, p. 36.
- Canadian fisherman. Gardenvale, Que. [etc.]National Business Publications [etc.] url p. 486.
- Carotenoids, by Paul Karrer and Ernst Jucker. Translated and rev. by Ernest A. Braude. New York, Elsevier Pub. Co., 1950. url p. 366, p. 96.
- Carotenoids, their comparative biochemistry. New York, Chemical Pub. Co., 1954. url p. 192, p. 197, p. 331.
- Catalogue of Canadian fossil fishes / [Toronto]: Royal Ontario Museum, c1966. url p. 146, p. 79, p. 80.
- Catalogue of scientific papers (1800-1900) Comp. by the Royal society of London. Cambridge, C. J. Clay and sons, 1867-1902; url p. 530, p. 963, p. 964.
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. Compiled by the Royal Society of London. London, C.J. Clay and Sons, 1867-1902 [etc.] Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1914-25. url p. 530, p. 963, p. 964.
- Catalogue of the collection to illustrate the animal resources and the fisheries of the United States, exhibited at Philadelphia in 1876 by the Smithsonian Institution and the United States Fish Commission, and forming a part of the United States National Museum. Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1879. url p. 179, p. 310.
- Catalogue of the fishes in the British Museum / by Albert Gu?nther. .. [Tokyo?]: Kagaku Kisho Hakkokai, Sho?wa 13 . url p. 155, p. 310.
- Catalogue of the fishes in the. .. Museum / by A. Günther 1870. url p. 310.
- Catalogue of the library of the Linnean Society of London. London: The Society, 1896. url p. 427.
- Cellular toxins; or, The chemical factors in the causation of disease, Philadelphia and New York, Lea Brothers & Company, 1902. url .
- Check list of the fishes of the Dominion of Canada and Newfoundland. Ottawa, Printed by C. H. Parmelee, 1913. url , , .
- Chemical embryology. New York:The MacMillan Co., 1931. url p. 1113, p. 1183.
- Commercial fisheries review. [Washington]: National Marine Fisheries Service; [for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off.] url p. 35, p. 6, p. 62.
- Comparative anatomy and physiology / by F. Jeffrey Bell. Philadelphia: Lea Brothers, 1885. url p. 363.
- Comparative anatomy and physiology. London, Cassell, 1885. url p. 363.
- Comptes rendus des séances de la Société de Biologie et de ses filiales. .. Paris: Masson. url p. 71.
- Contributions to Canadian biology. Toronto, Biological Board of Canada. url p. 112.
- Contributions to North American ichthyology. Based primarily on the collections of the United States National Museum. Washington: Govt. print. off., 1877-78. url p. 107, p. 115, p. 174, p. 179, p. 310.
- Contributions towards a fauna and flora of the county of Cork, read at the meeting of the British association held at Cork in the year 1843. The Vertebrata by Dr. Harvey. The Mollusca, Crustacea and Echinodermata by J.D. Humphreys. The flora by Dr. Power. (Published by the Cuvierian society of Cork) London, J. Van Voorst, 1845. url p. 22.
- Contributions. Providence, R. I. url p. 173.
- Copeia. [New York, N.Y., etc.]: American Society of Ichthyologists and Herpetologists. url , , , , p. 39.
- Current bibliography for aquatic sciences and fisheries. London, Taylor & Francis ltd. url p. 1011, p. 218, p. 311.
- Cuvier's animal kingdom: arranged according to its organization / translated from the French, and abridged for the use of students by H. McMurtrie... London: Orr and Smith, 1834. url p. 217.
- Davids Island phase I: a short-term ecological survey of western Long Island Sound / by U.S. Dept. of Commerce, National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration, National Marine Fisheries Service, Middle Atlantic Coastal Fisheries Center, Ecosystems Investigations, Sandy Hook Laboratory. Highlands, N.J.: The Laboratory,  url p. 18.
- Dean bibliography of fishes. New York: American Museum of Natural History, 1971-1973. url p. 199, p. 296, p. 296, p. 446, p. 605, p. 617, p. 618, p. 644, p. 710, p. 79.
- Descriptive and illustrated catalogue of the physiological series of comparative anatomy contained in the Museum of the Royal College of Surgeons of England. London, Taylor [and] Francis (pr.)1900-1902. url p. 98.
- Descriptive catalogue of the specimens of natural history in spirit contained in the Museum of the Royal college of surgeons of England. Vertebrata: Pisces, Reptilia, Aves, Mammalia. London, Taylor and Francis, 1859. url p. 47.
- Edinburgh encyclopaedia, conducted by David Brewster. .. with the assistance of gentlemen eminent in science and literature. Edinburgh, Blackwood, 1830. url p. 680.
- Elements of natural history, adapted to the present state of the science, containing the generic characters of nearly the whole animal kingdom, and the descriptions of the principal species. By John Stark. .. Edinburgh: W. Blackwood; [etc., etc.], 1828. url p. 430.
- Fauna boreali-americana, or, The zoology of the northern parts of British America: containing descriptions of the objects of natural history collected on the late northern land expeditions, under command of Captain Sir John Franklin, R.N. / by John Richardson, surgeon and naturalist to the expeditions; assisted by William Swainson and the Reverend William Kirby. London: J. Murray [etc.], 1829-1837. url p. 260, p. 6.
- Fauna of New England, 8. List of the pisces, by William C. Kendall. Boston, Printed for the [Boston] Society [of Natural History] from the G. Saltonstall Fund, 1908. url p. 125.
- Fertilization in fishes and the problem of polyspermy = Oplodotvorenie u ryb i problema polispermii / by A.S. Ginzburg; edited by T.A. Detlaf. Jerusalem: Israel Program for Scientific Translations, 1972. url p. 65.
- Fisheries of the United States, 1908. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1911. url p. 312.
- Fishery Board for Scotland. Scientific investigations. Edinburgh [etc.]H.M. Stationery Off. url p. 117, p. 157, p. 219, p. 52.
- Fishery bulletin / U.S. Dept. of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, National Marine Fisheries Service. Washington, D.C.: The Service: url , , p. 1011, p. 1015, p. 107, p. 110, p. 111, p. 112, p. 201, p. 233, p. 235, p. 236, p. 271, p. 302, p. 412, p. 764.
- Fishery bulletin. United States Fish and Wildlife Service. Washington, The Service, U.S. Govt Print. Off. url , p. 459, p. 460, p. 462, p. 548, p. 572.
- Fishery circular / U.S. Department of Commerce, Bureau of Fisheries. [Washington]: The Bureau, 1931-1939. url p. 129, p. 8.
- Fishes and fisheries of the Irish Sea; and especially of the Lancashire and western sea-fisheries district. By W. A. Herdman and Robert A. Dawson. London, George Philip & Son, 1902. url p. 41.
- Fishes of northern Ontario, north of the Albany River / Toronto: Royal Ontario Museum, c1964 url p. 23.
- Fishes of the Gulf of Maine, by Henry B. Bigelow and William C. Schroeder. Washington, United States Government Printing Office, 1953. url , p. 459, p. 462, p. 548, p. 572.
- Fishes of the Gulf of Maine. By Henry B. Bigelow. .. and William W. Welsh. .. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1925. url p. 536, p. 557.
- Fishes of the vicinity of New York city, by John Treadwell Nichols, with an introduction by William K. Gregory. New York, Printed at the Museum, 1918. url p. 115.
- Fishes, New York, H. Holt and Company, 1907. url , .
- Fishes, by David Starr Jordan. .. with 18 colored plates and 673 illustrations. .. New York, H. Holt and Company, 1907. url p. 665.
- Forms of animal life: a manual of comparative anatomy: with descriptions of selected types / by George Rolleston. Oxford, Eng.: Clarendon Press, 1888. url p. 100, p. 100.
- Forms of animal life; a manual of comparative anatomy, with descriptions of selected types; revised and enlarged by W. Hatchett Jackson. Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1888. url p. 100.
- Guide to marine fishes; [a new method for identification of marine fishes. New York]New York University Press url p. 281, p. 389, p. 425.
- Guide to the Galleries of Reptiles and Fishes [London]: BM(NH), 1887 url p. 70.
- Guide to the Gallery of Fishes [London]: BM(NH), 1908 url p. 185.
- Guide to the galleries of reptiles and fishes in the Department of zoology of the British museum (Natural history) Illustrated by 101 woodcuts. [London]The Trustees, 1898. url .
- Handbook of zoology / by J. van der Hoeven. Cambridge: University Press, 1856-1858. url p. 25.
- Handbook of zoology; by J. van der Hoeven. Tr. from the 2d Dutch ed. by the Rev. William Clark. Cambridge: Longman, Brown, Green, Longmans, and Roberts, 1856-58. url p. 25.
- Handbuch der Biologie der Wirbeltiere. Von Dr. M. Hilzheimer. unter Mitwirkung von Dr. Phil. O. Haempel. mikt 599 Textabbildungen. vii, 756 p.illus (part col.)26 cm. url p. 110, p. 48.
- History of North American pinnipeds, a monograph of the walruses, sea-lions, sea-bears and seals of North America. By Joel Asaph Allen. .. Washington, Gov't print. off., 1880. url p. 474.
- History of the Outer Hebrides: (Lewis, Harris, North and South Uist, Benbecula, and Barra) by W.C. Mackenzie. Paisley: A. Gardner, 1903. url p. 577.
- Humboldt; Monatsschrift für die gesamten Naturwissenschaften. Stuttgart, F. Enke, 1882-90. url p. 368.
- Ichthyology / edited by William Jardine. Edinburgh, etc.: W.H. Lizars, etc., 1852-1854. url p. 113, p. 124, p. 135.
- Illinois biological monographs. Urbana, Univ. of Illinois Press. url p. 111.
- Illustrated natural history / by J.G. Wood; with new illustrations by Wolf, Zwecker, Weir, Coleman, Harvey and others; engraved by the Brothers Dalziel. New York: Home Bk. Co., [188-?] url p. 286.
- Illustrations of British ornithology. By Prideaux John Selby. Edinburgh: Printed for the proprietor, and pub. by W. H. Lizars; [etc., etc.], 1833. url p. 434, p. 434.
- In Audubon's Labrador, Boston, Houghton Mifflin Company, 1918. url p. 342.
- Introduction to zoology... / by Robert Patterson London: Simms and MIntyre, 1854 url p. 231.
- Jenaische Zeitschrift für Naturwissenschaft. Jena, Gustav Fischer [etc.]. url , , , p. 120, p. 217, p. 219, p. 221, p. 223, p. 227, p. 229, p. 231, p. 235, p. 237, p. 239, p. 241, p. 243, p. 245, p. 247, p. 249, p. 251, p. 252, p. 253, p. 255, p. 256, p. 258, p. 261, p. 263, p. 265, p. 267, p. 269, p. 271, p. 273, p. 275, p. 279, p. 283, p. 285, p. 287, p. 289, p. 292, p. 293, p. 295, p. 297, p. 299, p. 301, p. 303, p. 307, p. 309, p. 311, p. 313, p. 314, p. 315, p. 315, p. 317, p. 317, p. 318, p. 319, p. 319, p. 321, p. 321, p. 323, p. 323, p. 325, p. 325, p. 327, p. 327, p. 328, p. 329, p. 329, p. 331, p. 331, p. 332, p. 333, p. 335, p. 335, p. 337, p. 337, p. 339, p. 339, p. 341, p. 341, p. 343, p. 345, p. 347, p. 349, p. 353, p. 355, p. 359, p. 361, p. 363, p. 365, p. 367, p. 368, p. 369, p. 371, p. 372, p. 491, p. 496, p. 524, p. 550, p. 554, p. 698, p. 71, p. 724, p. 725, p. 789.
- Journal of the Marine Biological Association of the United Kingdom. Cambridge [etc.]Cambridge University Press [etc.] url p. 113, p. 203, p. 210, p. 250, p. 376, p. 406, p. 442, p. 460, p. 465, p. 467, p. 487, p. 499, p. 666.
- Journal of the Royal Institution of Cornwall. Truro, Eng., Workers of Cornwall Ltd. url p. 444.
- Labrador, the country and the people, New York, The Macmillan co., 1913. url .
- Labrador: the country and the people / by Wilfred T. Grenfell and others. New York: Macmillan Co., 1909. url p. 348.
- Last report on dredging among the Shetland Isles. .. S.l.s.n.1868 url p. 238.
- Leeches (Hirudinea) their structure, physiology, ecology and embryology / by K.H. Mann. With an appendix on the systematics of marine leeches, by E. W. Knight-Jones. New York, Pergamon Press, 1962. url p. 177.
- Life by the seashore: an introduction to natural history / by Marion Newbigin London: Swan Sonnenschein, 1910 url , p. 304, p. 315.
- Life of a Scotch naturalist, Thomas Edward, associate of the Linnean Society by Samuel Smiles. .. portrait and illustrations by George Reid, R.S.A. London: J. Murray, 1877 url p. 424.
- List of marine fauna collected at the Tarbert Laboratory during 1885. Edinburgh, Fisheries Board, 1885 url p. 232.
- List of the fishes of Nova Scotia (corrected to date, 1879) Halifax, N.S.: s.n., 1879 url .
- List of the vertebrated animals now or lately living in the gardens of the Zoological Society of London. London: Printed for the Society, 1896. url p. 668, p. 693, p. 693.
- Loch Creran: notes from the West Highlands. Paisley: Gardner, 1887. url p. 226.
- Mammals of the Soviet Union / V.G. Heptner, A.A. Nasimovich, and A.G. Bannikov; scientific editor, Robert S. Hoffmann. Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Libraries and National Science Foundation, 1988- url p. 1355, p. 767.
- Manual of the natural history, geology and physics of Greenland and the neighbouring regions / prepared for the use of the Arctic expedition of 1875, under the direction of the Arctic Committee of the London: Printed for H.M.S.O., 1875. url , .
- Manual of the vertebrate animals of the northern U.S.. .. inclusive of the marine species. Chicago, McClurg, 1894, c1876-88. url .
- Marine investigations in South Africa / Cape of Good Hope Dept. of Agriculture. Cape Town: W.A. Richards & Sons, [1900?- url p. 61.
- Mark anniversary volume; to Edward Laurens Mark, Hersey professor of anatomy and director of the zoölogical laboratory at Harvard university, in celebration of twenty-five years of successful work for the advancement of zoölo New York, H. Holt and company, 1903. url p. 106.
- Meddelelser om Grønland. København, C. A. Reitzels Forlag, 1879-1979. url p. 30, p. 340.
- Memoirs of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences. 8 1861-1863 [Boston: The Academy, url p. 402.
- Memoirs of the Museum of Comparative Zoölogy, at Harvard College, Cambridge, Mass. 14 1892 Cambridge [Mass.]: The Museum, 1876-1940. url p. 13, p. 20, p. 20, p. 21, p. 21, p. 34, p. 34, p. 36, p. 36, p. 6, p. 6, p. 88, p. 88, p. 91, p. 95, p. 96, plate IX, plate IX, plate X, plate XI, plate XII, plate XIII.
- Memories of the months. Fifth series, by the Right Hon. Sir Herbert Maxwell, bart. London: E. Arnold, 1909. url p. 156.
- Monitore zoologico italiano. [Siena]: Instituto anatomico della R. Università di Siena, [1890-1988] url p. 181.
- Monitoring the marine environment of Long Island Sound at Millstone Nuclear Power Station, Waterford, Connecticut: three operational studies, 1986-1987 / [prepared by the Environmental Laboratory staff of Northeast Utilities Service Company]. Waterford, Connecticut: Northeast Utilities,  url p. 265, p. 296.
- Museum bulletin / Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1908-1916. url p. 111.
- Natural history of the animal kingdom for the use of young people: in three parts, comprising I. Mammalia: II. Birds: Part III. Reptiles, amphibia, fishes, insects, worms, molluscs, zoophytes, &c.: with 91 coloured plates, including about 850 figures, and numerous adapted from the German of Professor von Schubert by W.F. Kirby. 1889 Brighton: E. & J.B. Young and Co., 1889. url p. VIII.
- Natural history: Fishes / by P. H. Gosse. London: Printed for the Society for promoting Christian knowledge, 1851. url p. 267.
- Nature. London, Macmillan. url p. 252.
- New Haven Harbor ecological studies summary report, 1970-1977 / prepared for the United Illuminating Company, New Haven, Connecticut by Normandeau Associates, inc., Bedford, New Hampshire; edited by Andrew J. McCusker, Weldon S. Bosworth. Bedford, N.H.: Normandeau, 1979. url p. 12.
- Notes from the Royal Botanic Garden, Edinburgh. 3 1905 Edinburgh: H. M. Stationery Off. url p. 243.
- Notes on some rare and interesting marine crustacea. Edinburgh, Fishery Board, 1904 url p. 37, p. 52, p. 59.
- Notes on the natural history of the Bell Rock / by J. M. Campbell; with an introduction by James Murdoch. Edinburgh: David Douglas, 1904. url p. 6.
- Occasional papers of the Boston Society of Natural History. Boston, Boston Society of Natural History, 1869-1941. url , p. 125.
- On the anatomy of vertebrates. .. By Richard Owen. London, Longmans, Green and Co., 1866-68. url p. 855.
- On the anatomy of vertebrates. LondonLongmans, Green1866-68 url p. 855, p. 875.
- On the development and life-histories of the Teleostean food and other fishes / by W.C. M'Intosh and E.E. Prince. Edinburgh: R. Grant & Son, 1890. url p. 931.
- On the young stages of some osseous fishes. I-III. .. Cambridge, 1877-82. url p. 286, p. 288, p. 299, p. 300.
- Ontogeny and systematics of fishes: based on an international symposium dedicated to the memory of Elbert Halvor Ahlstrom / sponsored by the National Marine Fisheries Service, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, United States Dept. of Commerce. [New York?]: American Society of Ichthyologists and Herpetologists, c1984. url p. 429.
- Opinions and declarations rendered by the International Commission on Zoological Nomenclature. London, Printed by order of the International Trust for Zoological Nomenclature. url p. 257, p. 261, p. 369, p. 427.
- Oppian, Colluthus, Tryphiodorus, with an English translation by A.W. Mair LondonW. Heinemann1928 url p. 288.
- Our country's fishes and how to know them: a guide to all the fishes of Great Britain / by W.J. Gordon with every species illustrated in colour, and many sketches in outline by A. Lambert 1902 London: Simpkin, Hamilton, Kent & Co.,  url p. 9.
- Our living world; an artistic edition of the Rev. J. G. Wood's Natural history of animate creation. New York: S. Hess,  url p. 254.
- Pamphlets on forestry. Fish and game. [1900?- url , p. 2096, p. 2097, p. 2098, p. 2099.
- Popular science monthly. New York: D. Appleton, 1872-1950. url p. 533, p. 778.
- Prehistoric Europe: a geological sketch / London: Edward Stanford, 1881. url p. 471.
- Prize essay on the natural and economical history of the fishes marine, fluviatile, and lacustrine, of the river district of the Firth of Forth. By Richard Parnell. .. EdinburghPrinted by Neill & Co., 1838 url p. 380.
- Proceedings and transactions of the Nova Scotian Institute of Natural Science. Halifax: Nova Scotian Institute of Natural Science. url p. 89.
- Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia, Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia url , , p. 190, p. 191, p. 298, p. 298, p. 308, p. 308, p. 325, p. 451, p. 47, p. 492, p. 511, p. 511, p. 517, p. 517, p. 559, p. 559, p. 6, p. 604, p. 604, p. 872, p. 872.
- Proceedings of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences. Boston: Metcalf and Co., 1846-1958 url p. 288, p. 299, p. 300.
- Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington. Washington, Biological Society of Washington url p. 122, p. 165, p. 188, p. 9.
- Proceedings of the Boston Society of Natural History. Boston [etc.]Boston Society of Natural History. url p. 103, p. 273, p. 341, p. 471.
- Proceedings of the Essex Institute. Salem: Essex Institute Press. url p. 191, p. 20, p. 36.
- Proceedings of the Linnean Society of London. London, Published for the Linnean Society of London by Academic Press [etc.], 1848-1968. url p. 22.
- Proceedings of the Royal Irish Academy. Dublin: Royal Irish Academy, 1841- url p. 3.
- Proceedings of the Royal Physical Society of Edinburgh. Edinburgh: The Society, 1858-1955 url p. 143.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url , , , p. 100, p. 113, p. 20, p. 250, p. 266, p. 369, p. 375, p. 418, p. 431, p. 487, p. 509, p. 551, p. 561, p. 573, p. 594, p. 669, p. 83, p. vii.
- Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London. London: Academic Press, [etc.], 1833-1965. url p. 140, p. 202, p. 232, p. 325, p. 381, p. 449, p. 449, p. 476, p. 476, p. 653, p. 709, p. 751, p. 795, p. 844, p. 866, p. 885, p. 956.
- Proceedings. Dorchester [etc.] url p. 28.
- Proceedings. Salem, Mass.(1856-70) url p. 47.
- Publications in zoology = Publications en zoologie. Ottawa: National Museums of Canada, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1970-1982. url p. 13, p. 15.
- Quarterly journal of microscopical science. London, J. and A. Churchill [etc.] url p. 373, p. 381, p. 381, p. 383, p. 383, p. 391, p. 391, p. 639.
- Report of the Canadian Arctic Expedition 1913-18. Ottawa, F. A. Acland, Printer to the King, 1919- url .
- Report of the Commissioner for. .. / United States Commission of Fish and Fisheries. Washington: G.P.O., 1874-1905. url , p. 1198, p. 218, p. 218, p. 240, p. 240, p. 431, p. 449, p. 449, p. 521, p. 792, p. 801, p. 828, p. 833, p. 834, p. 904.
- Report of the United States Commissioner of Fisheries for the fiscal year. .. with appendixes Washington: G.P.O., 1914- url p. 397.
- Report on the conditions of the sea fisheries of the south coast of New England / United States Commission of Fish and Fisheries. Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1873. url p. 799.
- Report on the geology, mineralogy, botany, and zoology of Massachusetts. Made and published by order of the gobernment of that state: in four parts. With a descriptive list of the specimens of rocks and minerals collected for the government. By Edward Hitchcock. Amherst, Press of J.S. and C. Adams, 1833. url p. 553.
- Report on the progress and condition of the U.S. National Museum for the year ending June 30. .. / Smithsonian Institution, United States National Museum. Washington: G.P.O., 1907-1951. url p. 120, p. 120.
- Report on the sea fisheries and fishing industries on the Thames Estuary. London, Waterlow Bros. & Layton, 1903. url p. 138.
- Report upon the fauna of Liverpool Bay and the neighboring seas, written by members of the Liverpool Marine Biology Committee, and edited by W.A. Herdman. London, Longmans, Green, 1886-1900. url p. 172, p. 292, p. 32.
- Report. .. Baltimore: King Brothers. url p. 83.
- Reports on zoology for 1843, 1844 / Tr. from the German by George Busk, Alfred Tulk, esq., and Alexander H. Haliday, esq. London: Printed for the Ray society, 1847. url p. 552.
- Reports. OttawaKing's Printer1917 url p. 9.
- Reptiles, amphibia, fishes and lower chordata, by Richard Lydekker, J. T. Cunningham, G. A. Boulenger, and J. A. Thomson. With four plates in colour, thirty-three in monotone, a map and many text figures. London: Methuen,  url , p. 325.
- Revised list of the vertebrated animals now or lately living in the gardens of the Zoological society of London. 1872. London, Printed for the Society,  url p. 368.
- Revue méthodique et critique des collections déposées dans cet établissement. Leyden, Rijksmuseum van Natuurlijke Historie. url p. 19, p. 46.
- Science progress. London: John Murray, 1916- url p. 256.
- Science. New York, N.Y.: [s.n.]1880- url p. 187, p. 59.
- Sea and inland fisheries: report. DublinStationery Off. url p. 165, p. 211, p. 71.
- Seasonal distribution of the plankton of the Woods Hole region. Washington, D.C.: U.S. G.P.O, 1925. url p. 168.
- Second American edition of the British encyclopedia, or Dictionary of arts and sciences. Philadelphia: Mitchell, Ames and White, 1818. url .
- Sexual dimorphism in the animal kingdom, a theory of the evolution of secondary sexual characters. London, Black, 1900. url p. 217.
- Sexual endocrinology of non-mammalian vertebrates, by L. H. Bretschneider and J. J. Duyvené de Wit in collaboration with S. Dudok de Wit [and others] New York, Elsevier Pub. Co., 1947. url p. 94.
- Smithsonian miscellaneous collections. 50 1908 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1862-1968. url figs. 36-37 , p. 107, p. 115, p. 178, p. 21, p. 487, p. 83.
- Somerset archaeology and natural history: the proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. Taunton: Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. url p. 99.
- Special scientific report--wildlife / U.S. Department of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service. Washington, D.C.: The Service, 1949- url p. 665, p. 680.
- Special scientific report. Seattle, National Marine Fisheries Service; for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off., 1949-1971. url p. 19, p. 6.
- Studies on Myxosporidia; a synopsis of genera and species of Myxosporidia; with 25 plates and 2 textfigures, by Rokusaburo Kudo. .. Urbana, Ill., University of Illinois, c1920 url p. 111.
- Syllogeus. Ottawa, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1972-1995. url p. 16, p. 18, p. 88.
- Text book of zoology London, Sampson Low, Marston, 1896. url .
- Text-book of embryology. London, MacMillan, 1919. url p. 2.
- Text-book of embryology. London: Macmillan, 1914-1919. url .
- Text-book of physiological chemistry in thirty lectures, by Emil Abderhalden. .. tr. by William T. Hall. .. and George Defren. New York, J. Wiley & sons; [etc., etc.]1911. url p. 709.
- The Annals and magazine of natural history; zoology, botany, and geology being a continuation of the Annals combined with Loudon and Charlesworth's Magazine of Natural History. London, Taylor and Francis, Ltd. url , p. 182, p. 22, p. 245, p. 264, p. 305, p. 416, p. 501, p. 502, p. 685, p. 81.
- The Annals of Scottish natural history. Edinburgh: David Douglas, 1892-1911. url p. 261.
- The Australian zoologist. Sydney, Royal Zoological Society of New South Wales url p. 226.
- The Biochemical journal. London [etc.]Cambridge University Press. url p. 266.
- The Biological bulletin. Woods Hole, Mass.: Marine Biological Laboratory, url p. 181, p. 214, p. 318, p. 323, p. 384, p. 516, p. 517, p. 518.
- The British bird book: an account of all the birds, nests and eggs found in the British Isles / ed. by F.B. Kirkman. Illustrated by two hundred drawings and numerous photographs. London: T.C. & E.C. Jack, 1910-13. url p. 7.
- The British cyclopædia of natural history: combining a scientific classification of animals, plants, and minerals. .. By authors eminent in their particular department. Arranged and ed. by Charles F. Partington. London: Orr & Smith, 1835-37. url p. 228.
- The British parasitic Copepoda / by Thomas Scott and Andrew Scott. London: Printed for the Ray society, 1913. url p. 146, p. 165, p. 230.
- The British parasitic Copepoda, by Thomas Scott and Andrew Scott London, Printed for the Ray society, 1913 url p. 230, p. 38.
- The Cambridge natural history, London, Macmillan and Co., Limited;1895-1909 url , , .
- The Cambridge natural history, ed. by S.F. Harmer. .. and A.E. Shipley. .. London, Macmillan and co., limited;1895-1909 url p. 415, p. 699.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. 52 1938 Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 138, p. 176, p. 212, p. 255, p. 265, p. 349, p. 371, p. 375, p. 400, p. 464, p. 50, p. 504, p. 514, p. 521, p. 527, p. 570, p. 570, p. 64, p. 657, p. 723, p. 742.
- The Danish Ingolf-Expedition. Copenhagen: H. Hagerup, 1899-1928. url p. 72.
- The Danish Ingolf-expedition. CopenhagenH. Hagerup1899-1953 url p. 42.
- The Discoboli. Cyclopteridæ, Liparopsidæ, and Liparididæ. By S. Garman. .. Cambridge, Printed for the Museum, 1892. url , , p. 21, p. 34, p. 6, p. 88, p. 91, p. 95, p. 96.
- The Glasgow naturalist. Glasgow, Andersonian Naturalists of Glasgow. url p. 141, p. 207.
- The Journal of the Linnean Society of London. London: Academic Press [etc.], 1865-1968. url p. 337, p. 409, p. 577.
- The Labrador coast. A journal of two summer cruises to that region. New York: N.D.C. Hodges, 1891. url .
- The Labrador coast. New York, N. D. C. Hodges: [etc., etc.]1891. url p. 398.
- The Magazine of natural history / conducted by Edward Charlesworth. [S.l.: s.n.], url p. 399.
- The Naturalist. 1892 [Doncaster: Yorkshire Naturalists' Union], 1874- url p. 119, p. 177, p. 20, p. 238, p. 32, p. 358.
- The Ottawa naturalist. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 101, p. 23, p. 23.
- The Pleistocene of North America and its vertebrated animals form the states east of the Mississippi River and form the Canadian provinces east of longitude 95. WashingtonCarnegie Institution of Washington1923 url p. 23, p. 287, p. 483.
- The Scientific proceedings of the Royal Dublin Society. Dublin: The Society, 1877- url p. 431.
- The Trematoda of British fishes. London, Sold by B. Quaritch, 1947. url p. 355.
- The Victoria history of the county of Suffolk / edited by William Page. Folkestone [Kent]: Dawson for the University of London, Institute of Historical Research, 1907-1975. url p. 165.
- The animal creation: a popular introduction to zoology. London, Society for Promoting Knowledge, 1865. url p. 342.
- The animal kingdom arranged in conformity with its organization. London: Whittaker, 1827. url p. 197, p. 42.
- The animal kingdom, arranged according to its organization, serving as a foundation for the natural history of animals: and an introduction to comparative anatomy / Baron Cuvier. London, G. Henderson, 1834-37. url p. 218, p. 258.
- The aquarium: its inhabitants, structure, and management / by John Ellor Taylor. Edinburgh: John Grant, 1910. url p. 312.
- The aquarium; its inhabitants, structure & management. London, Hardwicke, 1876. url p. 200, p. 312.
- The biology of marine animals. New York, Interscience Publishers url p. 476, p. 689.
- The biology of the sea-shore, by F.W. Flattely. .. and C.L. Walton. .. with an introduction by J. Arthur Thomson. .. New York, The Macmillan Company url p. 329, p. 58.
- The birds of the west of Scotland: including the outer Hebrides, with occasional records of the occurrence of the rarer species throughout Scotland generally / by Robert Gray. Glasgow: T. Murray & Son, 1871. url p. 450.
- The book of nature study, ed. by J. Bretland Farmer. .. assisted by a staff of specialists. Fully illustrated. London, Caxton publishing company[1908?]-1909. url p. 131, p. 183.
- The class Pisces / arranged by the Baron Cuvier with supplementary additions, by Edward Griffith and Charles Hamilton Smith. London: Whittaker, 1834. url p. 518.
- The cyclopaedia of anatomy and physiology. Ed. by Robert B. Todd. London: Longman, Brown, Green, Longmans, & Roberts, 1835-59. url p. 49, p. 91.
- The cyclopædia of anatomy and physiology. Ed. by Robert B. Todd. .. London, Sherwood, Gilbert, and Piper, 1836-59. url p. 49, p. 91.
- The essentials of chemical physiology for the use of students / by W.D. Halliburton New York: Longmans, Green, 1907 url p. 42.
- The fisheries and fishery industries of the United States. Prepared through the co-operation of the commissioner of fisheries and the superintendent of the tenth census by George Brown Goode. .. and a staff of associates. .. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1884-87. url p. 254.
- The fisheries exhibition literature. .. London, W. Clowes, 1884. url p. 116, p. 129, p. 325.
- The fisheries of the Adriatic and the fish thereof: a report of the Austro-Hungarian sea-fisheries, with a detailed description of the marine fauna of the Adriatic Gulf / by G. L. Faber; with eighteen woodcut illustrations after drawings by Leo Littrow, and numerous engravings on stone. London: B. Quaritch, 1883. url p. 80.
- The fishes found in the vicinity of Woods Hole. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1898. url p. 105.
- The fishes of Great Britain and Ireland. London, Williams and Norgate, 1880-1884. url , p. 179, p. 180.
- The fishes of North and Middle America: a descriptive catalogue of the species of fish-like vertebrates found in the waters of North America, north of the Isthmus of Panama / by David Starr Jordan and Barton Warren Evermann. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, United States National Museum, 1896-1900. url p. 2096, p. 2098, p. 2099, p. 3296.
- The genera of fishes. ..: A contribution to the stability of scientific nomenclature / By David Starr Jordan. Stanford University, Calif.: The University, 1917-1920. url p. 101, p. 12, p. 171, p. 42.
- The haunts of life, New York, Harcourt, Brace and company[c1922] url .
- The haunts of life, being six lectures delivered at the Royal Institution, Christmas holidays, 1920-1921, London, A. Melrose Ltd., 1921. url p. 56.
- The haunts of life, by Prof. J. Arthur Thomson. .. New York, Harcourt, Brace[c1922] url p. 56.
- The life-histories of the British marine food-fishes. London, C. J. Clay and sons, 1897. url , .
- The lipids, their chemistry and biochemistry. New York, Interscience Publishers, 1951-57. url p. 498, p. 907, p. 992.
- The mammals, reptiles, and fishes of Essex; a contribution to the natural history of the county. By Henry Laver. With eight full-page and two half-page illustrations. Chelmsford, E. Durrant & co.; [etc., etc.]1898. url p. 135, p. 95.
- The marine fishes and invertebrates of Loch Fyne. 2 Edinburgh, Fishery Board, 1897 url p. 110, p. 279.
- The minerals and geology of central Canada, comprising the provinces of Ontario and Quebec. By E. J. Chapman. Toronto, The Copp, Clark company (limited)1888. url p. 312.
- The morphology and evolutional significance of the pineal body; being part I of a contribution to the study of the epiphysis cerebri with an interpretation of the morphological, physiological and clinical evidence [by] Frederick Tilney and Luther F. Warren Philadelphia, The Wistar Institute of Anatomy and Biology, 1919 url p. 112.
- The natural history of Ireland. London: Reeve, Benham and Reeve, 1849-56. url p. 216, p. 218.
- The natural history of animals: the animal life of the world in its various aspects and relations, by J. R. Ainsworth Davis. London, The Gresham publishing company, 1903-04. url p. 522.
- The natural history of fishes, particularly their structure and economical uses. By J. S. Bushnan. .. Illustrated by thirty-three coloured plates, with portrait and memoir of Salviani. Edinburgh: W.H. Lizars, 1840. url p. 113, p. 124.
- The natural history of the marketable marine fishes of the British Islands, with a preface by E. Ray Lankester. London, MacMillan, 1896. url p. 349.
- The naturalist of the Saint Croix. Memoir of George A. Boardman. A selection from his correspondence and published writings, notices of friends and contemporaries, with his list of the birds of Maine and New Brunswick. By Samuel Lane Boardman... Bangor, Priv. print., 1903. url p. 317, p. 317, p. 317.
- The naturalist's library. Conducted by Sir William Jardine. Edinburgh, W. H. Lizars; [etc., etc.]1833- url , p. 113, p. 250.
- The naturalist's library; containing scientific and popular descriptions of man, quadrupeds, birds, fishes, reptiles and insects; comp. from the works of Cuvier, Griffith, Richardson. .. and other writers on natural history. Arranged according to the classification of Stark. Ed. by A. A. Gould, M.A. With four hundred engravings. Boston, Phillips, Sampson, and company, 1850. url p. 743.
- The ocean world: being a description of the sea and some of its inhabitants. New York, D. Appleton and Co. url , p. 642.
- The philosophy of zoology, or, A general view of the structure, functions, and classification of animals / by John Fleming; in two volumes; with engravings. Edinburgh: Hurst, Robinson & Co., 1822. url p. 387.
- The philosophy of zoology; or, A general view of the structure, functions, and classification of animals. By John Fleming. Edinburgh, A. Constable, 1822. url p. 387.
- The physiology of reproduction, by Francis H.A. Marshall. .. With contributions by William Cramer. .. James Lockhead. .. and Cresswell Shearer. .. London, Longmans, Green, and Co., 1922. url p. 731, p. 734.
- The physiology of reproduction. London, Longmans, Green and Co., 1910. url .
- The physiology of reproduction; with a preface by E.A. Schäfer and contributions by William Cramer and James Lochhead. London, Longmans, url p. 27, p. 731, p. 734.
- The rod and the gun; being two treatises on angling and shooting. By James Wilson, and by the author of "The Oakleigh shooting code." Edinburgh, A. and C. Black, 1841. url p. 75.
- The standard natural history / edited by John Sterling Kingsley. Boston: S.E. Cassino, 1884-85. url p. 251.
- The standard natural history. Boston, S. E. Cassino and Company, 1884-85. url .
- The treasury of natural history; or, A popular dictionary of animated nature: in which the zoological characteristics that distinguish the different classes, genera, and species, are combined with a variety of interesting information illustrative of the habits, instincts, and g By Samuel Maunder. .. London, Longman, Brown, Green, and Longmans, 1852. url p. 393.
- The vertebrate fauna of Cheshire and Liverpool Bay / London: Witherby, 1910. url p. 183, p. 93.
- The water birds of North America. By S. F. Baird, T. M. Brewer and R. Ridgway. Issued in continuation of the publications of the Geological survey of California. J. D. Whitney, state geologist. Boston, Little, Brown, and Company, 1884. url p. 214.
- The wonder of life, London, A. Melrose, Ltd. url , .
- The wonder of life, by Arthur Thomson. London, A Melrose, ltd.1914. url p. 424.
- Third American edition of the British encyclopedia, or Dictionary of arts and sciences: comprising an accurate and popular view of the present improved state of human knowledge / by William Nicholson. Philadelphia: Mitchell, Ames and White, 1818. url .
- Transactions of the American Fish-Cultural Association. New York: American Fish-Cultural Association, 1878-1884. url p. 59.
- Transactions of the Natural History Society of Northumberland, Durham, and Newcastle-upon-Tyne. Newcastle-upon-Tyne [et al.]F. & W. Dodsworth [et al.]1865/67-1973. url p. 349, p. 57.
- Transactions of the Zoological Society of London. [London]: Published for the Zoological Society of London by Academic Press url p. 459, p. 51, p. 51, p. 63, p. 63, p. 74, p. 74, p. 77, p. 83, p. 83.
- Trespassers; showing how the inhabitants of earth, air, and water are enabled to trespass on domains not their own / by the Rev. J.G. Wood. London, Seeley, Jackson and Halliday, 1875. url p. 218.
- Wild life of the world: a descriptive survey of the geographical distribution of animals / 2 London; F. Warne and co., 1916. url p. 291, p. 430.
- Zoologische Jahrbücher. Abteilung für Anatomie und Ontogenie der Tiere Jena [Germany]:G. Fischer, c -1993. url p. 717.
- Zoologische Jahrbücher. Jena [Germany]: G. Fischer, 1910-1993. url p. 275.
- Zoologist. London.1843-1916 url , , p. 11, p. 11, p. 193, p. 196, p. 2217, p. 234, p. 273, p. 442, p. 9296.
- [A biological survey of the waters of Woods Hole and vicinity. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1913] url p. 163, p. 164.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 15, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 17, 2007:
- Cornell University Museum of Vertebrates, Fish Collection
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University, Atlantic Reference Centre
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University, Bay of Fundy Species List
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University, BioMar
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University, Canadian Museum of Nature - Fish Collection
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University, ECNASAP - East Coast North America Strategic Assessment
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University, Electronic Atlas of Ichthyoplankton on the Scotian Shelf of North America
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University, Gulf of Maine Bottom Trawl Survey Data
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University, HMAP-History pf Marine Animal Populations
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University, Nova Scotia Museum of Natural History - Marine Birds, Mammals, and Fishes
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University, Taxonomic Information Sytem for the Belgian coastal area
- Museum of Comparative Zoology, Harvard University, MCZ Fish Collection
- Royal Ontario Museum, Fish specimens
- Senckenberg, Collection Pisces
- The Swedish Museum of Natural History
- , Fishes
- The Swedish Museum of Natural History
- , Swedish Board of Fisheries
- - Institute of Coastal Research
- UK National Biodiversity Network, Countryside Council for Wales - Pembrokeshire Marine Species Atlas
- UK National Biodiversity Network, Marine Biological Association - Marine Life Survey Data
- collated by MarLIN
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 125292
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: Fis-29361
- Fishbase Species ID: 62
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 5261537
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 167612
- Natural Heritage Network Species Identifier: AFC4G12010
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 108643
- Mean = -206.500 meters (-677.493 feet), Standard Deviation = 298.320 based on 6,223 observations. Ocean depth information for each observation from British Oceanographic Data Centre. [back]
- Davenport, J. (1985). Synopsis of biological data on the lumpsucker Cyclopterus lumpus (Linnaeus 1758). FAO Fisheries Synopsis No. 147. 31 p. [back]