Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Czech:
Common Names in Danish:
Common Names in Dutch:
Common Names in English:
Black-headed Jay, blue-fronted jay, coast jay, conifer jay, connective jay, Grinnell's jay, long-crested jay, mountain jay, Nevada crested jay, Osgood's jay, pine jay, Queen Charlotte jay, Sierra Nevada jay, Steller's Jay
Common Names in Estonian:
Common Names in Finnish:
Common Names in French:
geai de steller
Common Names in German:
Common Names in Italian:
Ghiandaia Di Steller
Common Names in Japanese:
Sutera-Kakesu, Suteraakakesu, ステラーカケス
Common Names in Latin:
Common Names in Norwegian:
Common Names in Polish:
Common Names in Slovak:
Common Names in Spanish:
Chara Copetona, Chara crestada, Urraca Ocotera
Common Names in Spanish (Honduras):
Common Names in Spanish (Mexico):
Common Names in Spanish (Nicaragua):
Urraca De Los Pinares
Common Names in Swedish:
Adult : Head : black with white striping Crest : black Bill: black Curvature: straight Length : long Neck: sooty black Body: Back: sooty black Belly: smoky blue Breast: sooty black Underparts: smoky blue Upperparts: cobalt or purple Tail: cobalt or purple with narrow black bars.
About 11.5 inches long, with a wingspan of 17 to 17 inches. Adults weigh about 4.5 ounces .
Vegetation: tropical lowland evergreen forest, pine forests, tropical lowland evergreen forest, pine-oak forests • Minimum Elevation: 900 meters • Maximum Elevation: 3,600 meters • Foraging Strata: Canopy • Center of Abundance: Upper montaine: mountains, upper range, above 3,600 m. • Sensitivity to Disturbance: Medium
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 5,013 meters (0 to 16,447 feet).
List of Habitats
- 1 Forest
- 1.1 Forest - Boreal
- 1.4 Forest - Temperate
- 1.5 Forest - Subtropical/Tropical Dry
- 1.9 Forest - Subtropical/Tropical Moist Montane
- 14 Artificial/Terrestrial
- 14.4 Artificial/Terrestrial - Rural Gardens [more info]
- Breeding Habitat : Woodland
- Nest Location: Mid-story/canopy nesting
- Nest Type: Open-cup
- Clutch Size: 3-5
- Length of Incubation : 16 days
- Number of Broods: 1
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Bateson, 1885
- Cuvier, 1812
- Jawed Vertebrates
- Goodrich, 1930
- Linnaeus, 1758
- Gauthier, 1986
- (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Pycraft, 1900
- Sibley et al., 1988
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- Suborder: Passeres () - (C. Linnaeus, 1758) C. Linnaeus, 1766
- Order: Passeriformes () - C. Linnaeus, 1758
- Superorder: Passerimorphae () - Sibley et al., 1988
- Cohort: Neognathae () - Pycraft, 1900
- Infraclass: Aves () - (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Subclass: Avialae () - Gauthier, 1986
- Class: Aves () - Linnaeus, 1758
- Superclass: Tetrapoda () - Goodrich, 1930
- Infraphylum: Gnathostomata () - auct. - Jawed Vertebrates
- Subphylum: Vertebrata () - Cuvier, 1812 - Vertebrates
- Phylum: Chordata () - Bateson, 1885 - Chordates
- Infrakingdom: Chordonia () - (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Deuterostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Cyanocitta stelleri (J. F. Gmelin, 1788)
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 24-Jun-1996
Members of the genus Cyanocitta
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 14 species and subspecies in this genus:
C. cristata (Northern Jay) · C. cristata cristata (Blue Jay) · C. cristata cyanotephra (Blue Jay) · C. cristata florincola (Florida Blue Jay) · C. cristata semplei (Semple's Blue Jay) · C. stelleri (Queen Charlotte Jay) · C. stelleri annectens (Black-Headed Jay) · C. stelleri carbonacea (Coast Jay) · C. stelleri carlottae (Steller's Jay) · C. stelleri diademata (Long-Crested Jay) · C. stelleri frontalis (Steller's Jay) · C. stelleri macrolopha (Long-Crested Jay) · C. stelleri percontatrix (Nevada Crested Jay) · C. stelleri stelleri (Queen Charlotte Jay)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A catalogue of Canadian birds with notes on the distribution of the species / by Montague Chamberlain. Saint John, N.B.: J. McMillan, 1887. url p. 75.
- A catalogue of Canadian birds, By Montague Chamberlain. Saint John, N.B., J. & A. McMillan, 1887. url p. 75, p. 75.
- A catalogue of Canadian birds: with notes on the distribution of the species / Saint John, N.B.: J. & A. McMillan, 1887. url .
- A catalogue of the birds of Kansas. By N. S. Goss. Published under the direction of the Executive council. Topeka: Kansas Publishing house, 1883. url p. 33.
- A catalogue of the collection of birds formed by the late Hugh Edwin Strickland. Cambridge, Univ. Press, 1882. url p. 290.
- A check list of North American birds. Boston: Estes and Lauriat, 1882. url p. 66.
- A checklist of the vertebrate animals of Kansas / George D. Potts, Joseph T. Collins. [Lawrence, Kan.]: Museum of Natural History, University of Kansas, 1991. url p. 14.
- A distributional list of the birds of Arizona / Hollywood, Calif.: Cooper Ornithological Club, 1914. url .
- A first book upon the birds of Oregon and Washington; a pocket guide and pupil's assistant in a study of most of the land birds and a few of the water birds of these states. By William Rogers Lord. Portland, Ore., W. R. Lord, 1913 [c1902] url p. 274.
- A history of North American birds / by S. F. Baird, T. M. Brewer, and R. Ridgway. Boston: Little, Brown, 1905. url p. 277, p. 281.
- A history of the birds of Colorado, London, Witherby & Co., 1912. url .
- A manual of North American birds by Robert Ridgway. Philadelphia: J.B. Lippincott, 1887. url , , , .
- A manual of North American birds. By Robert Ridgway. Illustrated by 464 outline drawings of the generic characters. Philadelphia, J. B. Lippincott company, 1896. url p. 353.
- A manual of North American birds. Philadelphia: J.B. Lippincott Co., 1900. url p. 353, p. 617, p. 624, p. 628, p. 634.
- A study of the structure of feathers, with reference to their taxonomic significance, by Asa C. Chandler. Berkeley, University of California press, 1916. url p. 380, p. 438.
- American bird magazine, ornithology. Worcester, Mass.: C.K. Reed, 1903-1906. url p. 175.
- Animal Ecology. Englewood Cliffs, N.J., Prentice-Hall, 1961. url p. 457.
- Annual report / Albany: University of the State of New York, 1902-1918. url p. 85.
- Annual report of the Board of Regents of the Smithsonian Institution. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, -1965. url p. 149, p. 151, p. 154, p. 158, p. 198, p. 537.
- Appendices A-E: terrestrial resources injury assessment report: upper Clark Fork River NPL sites. Helena?, Mont.: Dept. of Justice?, 1995 url .
- Biologia centrali-americana: Aves / [London: R.H. Porter], 1879-1904. url , .
- Bird lore. New York City: Macmillan Co., c1899-c1940. url p. 170, p. 171, p. 172.
- Bird notes afield; a series of essays on the birds of California, by Charles A. Keeler. San Francisco, D.P. Elder & M. Shepard, 1899. url p. 304.
- Bird-lore. New York, National Association of Audubon Societies. url p. 170, p. 171, p. 171, p. 172, p. 172.
- Birds & nature magazine. Chicago, nature study publishing company [etc.]1896-1907. url , p. 110.
- Birds and all nature. Chicago: Nature Study Publishing Co., 1898-1900. url p. 110.
- Birds and nature. Chicago, Ill.: A.W. Mumford, Publisher, 1900-1907. url p. 201.
- Birds of California: an introduction to more than three hundred common birds of the state and adjacent islands, with a supplementary list of rare migrants, accidental visitants, and hypothetical subspecies / Chicago: A.C. McClurg, 1912, c1903. url , .
- Birds of California; an introduction to more than three hundred common birds of the state and adjacent islands, with a supplementary list of rare migrants, accidental visitants, and hypothetical subspecies, Chicago, A.C. McClurg, 1916. url .
- Birds of Oregon, by Ira N. Gabrielson. .. and Stanley G. Jewett. .. Corvallis, Or., Pub. by Oregon State College through the O.S.C. Cooperative Association[c1940] url .
- Birds of the Pacific coast, including a brief account of the distribution and habitat of one hundred and eighteen birds that are more or less common to the Pacific coast states and British Columbia, many of which are found east by Willard Ayres Eliot; with fifty-six color plates, by R. Bruce Horsfall. 1923 New York, G. P. Putnam's sons, 1923. url p. 109, p. 190.
- Birds of the Rockies, by Leander S. Keyser... with eight full-page plates [four in color] by Louis Agassiz Fuertes; many illustrations in the text by Bruce Horsfall, and eight views of localities from photographs; with a c Chicago, A. C. McClurg and co., 1902. url p. 330, p. 330.
- Birds of the world; a popular account. With a chapter on the anatomy of birds, by Frederic A. Lucas; the whole edited by Robert Ridgway. New York, Holt, 1909. url p. 781.
- Birds; a miscellaneous collection of 37 pamphlets about birds. Collected and privately bound by Alvin Seale, 1914. v.p., 1910-1913 url p. 43.
- Brigham Young University science bulletin. 3 1963 Provo, Utah: Brigham Young University, [1955-1976] url p. 15, p. 21, p. 4, p. 47.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url , , p. 29, p. 322, p. 346, p. 351, p. 353, p. 354, p. 355, p. 356, p. 357, p. 358, p. 362, p. 368, p. 403, p. 481, p. 484, p. 485, p. 486, p. 489, p. 491, p. 493, p. 56, p. 65, p. 71, p. 72, p. 750, p. 756, p. 759, p. 76, p. 761, p. 77, p. 778.
- Bulletin / U.S. Department of Agriculture, Bureau of Entomology. Washington: G.P.O., 1904-1916. url p. 129, p. 129, p. 155, p. 155.
- Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History). London: BM(NH) url p. 166.
- Bulletin of the Museum of Comparative Zoology at Harvard College. 109 1953 Cambridge, Mass.: The Museum, 1863- url p. 169, p. 366.
- Bulletin of the U.S. Department of Agriculture. [Washington, D.C.?]: Supt. of Docs., G.P.O., 1913-1923. url p. 14, p. 26.
- California fish and game. [San Francisco, etc.]: State of California, Resources Agency, Dept. of Fish and Game. url p. 117, p. 174, p. 238, p. 254, p. 345, p. 9.
- Camps and cruises of an ornithologist, New York, D. Appleton and Company, [c1908] url .
- Catalogue of British Columbia birds. Victoria, B. C., Printed by R. Wolfenden, 1904. url , .
- Catalogue of Canadian birds / by John Macoun and James M. Macoun. Ottawa: Canada Dept. of Mines, Geological Survey Branch, 1909. url p. 407.
- Catalogue of Canadian birds, Ottawa, Government Printing Bureau, 1909. url , .
- Catalogue of Canadian birds, by John Macoun. .. and James M. Macoun. .. Ottawa, Government printing bureau, 1909. url p. 406, p. 407.
- Catalogue of Canadian birds. .. Ottawa, Printed by S. E. Dawson, 1900-04. url , .
- Catalogue of birds of the Americas and the adjacent islands in Field Museum of Natural History. by Charles E. Hellmayr. 13 1934 Chicago: Field Museum of Natural History, 1934. url p. 61.
- Catalogue of the Birds in the British Museum. London, 1874-98. url p. 108.
- Check list of British Columbia birds. Victoria, B. C., R. Wolfeenden, Printer to the Queen, 1891. url .
- Check-list of North American birds / prepared by a committee of the American ornithologists' union. Lancaster, Pa.: The Union, 1931. url p. 466, p. 481, p. 494.
- Check-list of North American birds, New York, American ornithologists' union, 1910. url , , , , .
- Check-list of North American birds. [Ithaca, N.Y.]1957. url p. 370, p. 658, p. 662, p. 668, p. 675, p. 686.
- Check-list of North American birds: the species of birds of North America from the Arctic through Panama, including the West Indies and Hawaiian Islands / prepared by the Committee on Classification and Nomenclature of the American Orni Lawrence, Kan.: American Ornithologists' Union, 1983. url p. 500, p. 804.
- Check-list of birds of the world. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1931-1987. url p. 208, p. 210.
- Checklist of British Columbia birds, by John Fannin. Victoria, B.C., Printed by R. Wolfenden url p. 32.
- Color key to North American birds, with bibliographical appendix, by Frank M. Chapman. .. with upwards of 800 drawings, by Chester A. Reed, B.S. New York, D. Appleton & Company, 1912. url p. 185.
- Contributions to avian palaeontology from the Pacific coast of North America, by Loye Holmes Miller. Berkeley, University of California press, 1912. url p. 114, p. 114, p. 73, p. 73, p. 75, p. 75, p. 84, p. 84.
- Distribution of the land vertebrates of southeastern Washington, by Lee Raymond Dice. Berkeley, University of California press1916. url p. 319.
- Ecology and conservation of the marbled murrelet / [technical editors, C. John Ralph. .. et al.]. Albany, Calif.: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Southwest Research Station,  url p. 158, p. 65, p. 81, p. 89, p. 93.
- Eggs of North American birds by Chas. J. Maynard. Boston: De Wolfe, Fiske, 1890. url .
- Eggs of North American birds; by Chas. J. Maynard. Illustrated with ten hand-colored plates. Boston, De Wolfe, Fiske & co., 1890. url p. 89.
- Evolution of the colors of North American land birds / by Charles A. Keeler. San Francisco: California Academy of Sciences, 1893. url p. 246, p. 347.
- Fishery circular / U.S. Department of Commerce, Bureau of Fisheries. [Washington]: The Bureau, 1931-1939. url p. 50.
- Foreign birds for cage and aviary. By Arthur G. Butler. London, "The Feathered world"[191-?] url p. 73.
- Great Basin naturalist memoirs. 1978 [Provo, Utah]Brigham Young University, 1976-1992. url p. 144, p. 188, p. 213, p. 214, p. 216, p. 221, p. 223, p. 264, p. 78.
- Guide to taxidermy, by Chas. K. Reed and Chester A. Reed. Illustrated by drawings and photographs of mounted specimens by the authors and Mr. N. F. Stone. Worcester, Mass., C.K. Reed, 1914. url p. 274.
- Handbook of birds of the western United States: including the Great Plains, Great Basin, Pacific Slope, and lower Rio Grande Valley / by Florence Merriam Bailey. Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1915, c1902. url p. 272.
- Ibis. [London]Published for the British Ornithologists' Union by Academic Press. url p. 687.
- Illinois birds, Corvidae / Jean W. Graber, Richard R. Graber, and Ethelyn L. Kirk. Champaign, Ill.: State of Illinois, Dept. of Energy and Natural Resources, Natural History Survey Division,  url .
- International catalogue of scientific literature. London, : Published for the International Council by the Royal Society of London, 1904-1916. url p. 1371.
- Investigation of the economic status of non-game birds. By H. C. Bryant. .. [Sacramento]State Print. Off. url p. 8.
- Journal of ethnobiology. 12-13 1992-1993 Flagstaff, Ariz.: Center for Western Studies, 1981- url p. 94.
- Journal of morphology. Boston: Ginn & Co., [1887-1924] url p. 273.
- Joy of nature: how to observe and appreciate the great outdoors / [editor, Alma E. Guinness]. Pleasantville, N.Y.: Reader's Digest Association, c1977. url p. 333.
- Key to North American birds. Containing a concise account of every species of living and fossil bird at present known from the continent north of the Mexican and United States boundary, inclusive of Greenland and Lower California Boston, Estes and Lauriat, 1896. url p. 901.
- Land birds of the Pacific district / by Lyman Belding. San Francisco: California Academy of Sciences, 1890. url p. 109.
- Land birds of the Pacific district, San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences, 1890. url , .
- Life histories of North American birds, from the parrots to the grackles with special reference to their breeding habits and eggs / by Charles Bendire. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1895. url .
- Management plan, Robb/Ledford wildlife management area. [Helena]:Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks,  url .
- Memoirs of the San Diego Society of Natural History. 13 1984 San Diego, Calif.: The Society, 1931-1989. url maps 59-60, page 144, p. 269, p. xvii.
- Miscellaneous publication - University of Kansas, Museum of Natural History. 1965 Lawrence: University of Kansas, 1946-1996. url p. 37, p. 39, p. 4.
- Museum bulletin / Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1908-1916. url p. 108.
- Naturalist's guide to the Americas, prepared by the Committee on the Preservation of Natural Conditions of the Ecological Society of America, with assistance from numerous organizations and individuals, assembled and edited by chairman, Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins, 1926. url p. 748.
- Nature neighbors, containing articles by Gerald Alan Abbott, Dr. Albert Schneider, William Kerr Higley...and other eminent naturalists. Ed. by Nathaniel Moore Banta: six hundred forty-eight full-page color plates, con Chicago, American Audobon association[c1914] url .
- Nature. London, Macmillan. url p. 516.
- Nests and eggs of North American birds: with a chapter on ornithological and oölogical collecting (the preparation of skins, nests and eggs for the cabinet). Toronto: Musson url p. 323.
- Nomenclature of North American birds chiefly contained in the United States National Museum. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1881. url .
- North American birds eggs, by Chester A. Reed...illustrating the eggs of nearly every species of North American birds. New York, Doubleday, Page & company, 1904. url p. 230.
- North American birds eggs. New York: Dover Pub, . url p. 230.
- North American fauna. Washington: Fish and Wildlife Service; for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U. S. Govt. Print. Off. url p. 118, p. 20, p. 46, p. 46, p. 56, p. 57, p. 58, p. 62, p. 68, p. 74, p. 77, p. 80, p. 97.
- Notes on a collection of birds from Michoacan, Mexico, by Emmet R. Blake and Harold C. Hanson. 22 1942 [Chicago]1942. url p. 522.
- Occasional papers of the California Academy of Sciences. San Francisco: California Academy of Sciences, url p. 109, p. 245, p. 270, p. 347, p. 6.
- Ornithologist and oo?logist Pawtucket, R.I. url p. 59.
- Our living resources: a report to the nation on the distribution, abundance, and health of U.S. plants, animals, and ecosystems / [edited by], Edward T. LaRoe. .. [et al.]. Washington, DC: U.S. Dept. of the Interior, National Biological Service, 1995. url p. 504.
- Our living world; an artistic edition of the Rev. J. G. Wood's Natural history of animate creation. New York: S. Hess,  url p. 653.
- Our native birds of song and beauty, being a complete history of all the songbirds, flycatchers, hummingbirds, swifts, goatsuckers, woodpeckers, kingfishers, trogons, cuckoos, and parrots, of North America. Milwaukee, G. Brumder, 1893-96. url .
- P.D. Skaar's Montana bird distribution / revised by the Montana Bird Distribution Committee. [Helena, MT]:Montana Natural Heritage Program, 1996 url p. 76.
- Pacific coast avifauna / Cooper Ornithnological Club of California. Santa Clara, Calif.: The Club, 1900-1974. url p. 11, p. 45, p. 45, p. 46, p. 86, p. 97.
- Proceedings - California Academy of Sciences, 4th series. San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences. url p. 1295, p. 14, p. 23.
- Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia, Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia url p. 116, p. 116, p. 444, p. 45, p. 45, p. 62, p. 62, p. 816.
- Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington. Washington, Biological Society of Washington url , p. 1, p. 117, p. 127, p. 128, p. 131, p. 233, p. 235, p. 292, p. 298.
- Proceedings of the California Academy of Sciences, 4th series. San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences. url , p. 1295, p. 14, p. 23, p. 403, p. 410, p. 49, p. 519, p. 591, p. 612, p. 619, p. 625, p. 673, p. 69, p. 774.
- Proceedings of the Entomological Society of Washington. Washington, etc.: Entomological Society of Washington url p. 545.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. 10 1887 Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 161, p. 161, p. 184, p. 422, p. 556, p. 612, p. 62, p. 674, p. 797.
- Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London. London: Academic Press, [etc.], 1833-1965. url , p. 127, p. 127, p. 423, p. 423.
- Provincial Museum of Natural History and Enthnology. Victoria, B.C., Printed by Richard Wolfenden, 1909. url p. 54.
- Report of the Secretary of the Smithsonian Institution and financial report of the Executive Committee of the Board of Regents for the year ending June 30. .. Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution, 1933-1965. url p. 151, p. 154, p. 158, p. 170.
- Report upon natural history collections made in Alaska: between the years 1877 and 1881 / by Edward W. Nelson; edited by Henry W. Henshaw; prepared under the direction of the chief signal officer. Washington: Government Printing Office, 1887. url p. 163, p. 332.
- Reports of explorations and surveys, to ascertain the most practicable and economical route for a railroad from the Mississippi River to the Pacific Ocean. Made under the direction of the secretary of war, in 1853-. .. Washington, A.O.P. Nicholson, Printer [etc.]1855-60. url p. 215, p. 581, p. 85, p. 85.
- Results of a biological reconnoisance of the Yukon river region. General account of the region. Annotated list of mammals. By Wilfred H. Osgood. Annotated list of birds. By Louis B. Bishop. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1900. url p. 56, p. 80, p. 97.
- Results of a biological reconnoissance of the Yukon River region prepared under the direction of C. Hart Merriam. Washington: G.P.O., 1900. url .
- Results of a biological survey of Mount Shasta, California, Washington, Govt Print. Off., 1899. url , , , , .
- Results of a biological survey of mount Shasta, California, by C. Hart Merriam, chief of Divison of Biological Survey. Washington, U.S. Dept. of Agriculture. Div. of Biological Survey: 1899. url p. 118, p. 173, p. 57.
- Robb/Ledford Wildlife management area: draft management plan. Helena, MT: Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks, 1999 url .
- Significance of white markings in birds of the order Passeriformes / Berkeley: The University Press, 1910. url .
- Smithsonian contributions to knowledge. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1848-1916. url , , p. 362, p. 365, p. 509, p. 512.
- Smithsonian miscellaneous collections. 22 1882 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1862-1968. url p. 184, p. 395, p. 422, p. 71, p. 91.
- Special bulletin / Smithsonian Institution, United States National Museum. Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1892- url , , , p. 362, p. 365, p. 370, p. 512, p. 514.
- Special scientific report--wildlife / U.S. Department of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service. Washington, D.C.: The Service, 1949- url p. 12, p. 17.
- Supplement to the code of nomenclature and check-list of North American birds. adopted by the American Ornithologists' Union; prepared by a Committee of the Union. New York: The Union, 1889-1920. url p. 11, p. 321, p. 365.
- The Auk. Washington, D.C.: American Ornithologists' Union, etc., 1884- url p. 109, p. 122, p. 126, p. 128, p. 136, p. 145, p. 166, p. 174, p. 20, p. 210, p. 227, p. 261, p. 321, p. 353, p. 355, p. 365, p. 39, p. 434, p. 45, p. 80.
- The Canadian bird book: illustrating in natural colors more than seven hundred north American birds, also several hundred photographs of their nests and eggs / by Chester A. Reed. Toronto: Musson Book Co., c1914. url p. 303.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. 73 1959 Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 11, p. 112, p. 135, p. 135, p. 15, p. 153, p. 176, p. 182, p. 182, p. 185, p. 194, p. 209, p. 212, p. 22, p. 233, p. 326, p. 43, p. 474, p. 48, p. 56, p. 89, p. 96.
- The Coues check list of North American birds [Elliott Coues]. Boston: Estes and Lauriat, 1882. url , .
- The Great Basin naturalist. 6 1945 Provo, Utah: M.L. Bean Life Science Museum, Brigham Young University, 1939-1999. url p. 113, figs. 10-11, page 12, p. 283, p. 334, p. 47, p. 52, p. 60, p. 628, p. 651, p. 653, p. 68, p. 722, p. 734.
- The Ibis. [London]: Published for the British Ornithologists' Union by Academic Press. url p. 346.
- The Oregon naturalist. Oregon City, Or.: Naturalist Pub. Co., url , p. 159.
- The Osprey. Galesburg, Ill.: The Osprey Co., 1897-1902. url .
- The Ottawa naturalist. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 153, p. 153.
- The University of Kansas science bulletin. 42 1961 [Lawrence]: University of Kansas, 1902-1996. url descr. of figs. 20-22, page 124, p. 130, p. 133, p. 136.
- The Warbler. Floral Park: Mayflower Pub. Co., [1903-1913] url p. 88.
- The Wilson bulletin. Columbus, Ohio: Wilson Ornithological Society, 1894- url p. 116, p. 284, p. 35.
- The bird book, illustrating in natural colors more than seven hundred North American birds, also several hundred photographs of their nests and eggs, Worcester, Mass., C. K. Reed, 1914. url .
- The bird book: illustrating in natural colors more than seven hundred North American birds, also several hundred photographs of their nests and eggs / by Chester A. Reed, S.B. Worcester, Mass.: C. K. Reed, 1914. url p. 306.
- The birds of Colorado / Fort Collins, Colo.: State Agricultural College, Agricultural Experiment Station, 1897. url .
- The birds of El Salvador, by Donald R. Dickey and A. J. Van Rossem. 23 1938 Chicago: Field Museum of Natural History, 1938. url p. 407.
- The birds of North and Middle America: a descriptive catalogue of the higher groups, genera, species, and subspecies of birds known to occur in North America, from the Arctic lands to the Isthmus of Panama, the West Indies and other island Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1901- url , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- The birds of Washington: a complete, scientific and popular account of the 372 species of birds found in the state / by William Leon Dawson. .. assisted by John Hooper Bowles. .. illustrated by more than 300 original half-tones of birds in life, nests, eggs, and favorite haunts, from photographs by the author and ot Seattle: The Occidental publishing co., 1909. url p. 33, p. 35, p. 37.
- The birds of Washington; a complete, scientific and popular account of the 372 species of birds found in the state, by William Leon Dawson, assisted by John Hooper Bowles. Illustrated by more than 300 original half-tones of birds in life, nests, eggs, and favorite haunts, from photographs by the author and others, Seattle: The Occidental Pub. Co., 1909. url p. 33, p. 35, p. 37.
- The birds of Wyoming / By Wilbur C. Knight. Laramie, Wyo.: Wyoming Experiment Station, 1902. url p. 218, p. 355, p. 366.
- The birds of Wyoming, with an explanation of recent changes in their distribution; economic aspect also considered. By B. H. Grave and Ernest P. Walker. [Laramie]University of Wyoming, 1913. url p. 84.
- The birds of Wyoming. [Laramie, Wyoming Experiment Station]1902. url , .
- The book of birds, common birds of town and country and American game birds, by Henry W. Henshaw. Illustrated in natural colors with 250 paintings, by Louis Agassiz Fuertes; with chapters of "Encouraging birds around the home, " by F. H. Kennard; "The mysteries of bird migratio 1918 Washington, D. C.: National Geographic Society, 1918. url p. 20.
- The book of birds; common birds of town and country and American game birds, by Henry W. Henshaw; illustrated in natural colors with 250 paintings by Louis Agassiz Fuertes. Washington, D.C., National geographic society url p. 20.
- The code of nomenclature and check-list of North American birds adopted by the American Ornithologists' Union; being the report of the Committee of the Union on Classification and Nomenclature. New York, 1886. url p. 241, p. 241, p. 241.
- The condor. Santa Clara, Calif.: Cooper Ornithological Club, [1900- url , p. 203.
- The crane-flies of New York. [Ithaca]1919-1920. url p. 723.
- The fundus oculi of birds, especially as viewed by the ophthalmoscope; a study in the comparative anatomy and physiology, by Casey Albert Wood. Illustrated by 145 drawings in the text; also by sixty-one colored paintings prepared for this work by Arthur W. Head. .. Chicago, The Lakeside Press, 1917. url p. 109, p. 55, p. 57.
- The hebes group of the Dipterous genus Tipula linnaeus / Philadelphia?: American Entomological Society, 1914 url p. 129.
- The natural history of Washington territory, with much relating to Minnesota, Nebraska, Kansas, Oregon, and California, between the thirty-sixth and forty-ninth parallels of latitude, being those parts of the final reports on the survey of the N By J. G. Cooper, M. D., and Dr. G. Suckley. .. This edition contains a new preface, giving a sketch of the explorations, a classified table of contents, and the latest additions by the authors. With f London, Baillière brothers, 1859. url p. 215.
- The oologists' hand-book: 1885 catalogue of American birds' eggs, and oological supplies, with prices at which they may be obtained of / Frank H. Lattin. Rochester (N.Y.): John P. Smith, Printer, 1885. url p. 27.
- The second book of birds; bird families, by Olive Thorne Miller, with eight colored plates from designs by Louis Agassiz Fuertes, and sixteen other full-page illustrations. Boston, Houghton, Mifflin, 1901. url .
- The standard catalogue of North American birds eggs. Albion, N.Y., F.H. Lattin, 1892. url p. 32.
- The summer birds of Yakutat Bay, Alaska / [Toronto: Royal Ontario Museum of Zoology], 1939. url p. 22.
- Transactions of the Kansas Academy of Science. Topeka, Kan.: W.Y. Morgan, 1903- url p. 266.
- Transactions of the Kentucky Academy of Science. [Lexington, Ky.]Kentucky Academy of Science, 1923-1997. url p. 152, p. 197.
- Transactions of the San Diego Society of Natural History. 6 1931 [San Diego]: The Society, 1905-1989. url p. 328, p. 45.
- University of California publications in zoology. Berkeley: University Press, 1906- url p. 158, p. 319, p. 380, p. 438, p. 439, p. 48, p. 520.
- University of Kansas publications, Museum of Natural History. 8 1956 Lawrence, University of Kansas. url p. 336, p. 479, p. 606, p. 687.
- Vertebrate photoreceptors, by Samuel R. Detwiler. New York, The Macmillan Company, 1943. url p. 100.
- Washington State Coastal Zone Management Program amendment no. 3: approval of the Grays Harbor estuary management plan: program draft environmental impact statement. [Olympia, Wash.?]: Grays Harbor Regional Planning Commission; 1983. url p. 17, p. 8.
- Wild animals of Glacier National Park. The mammals, Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1918. url .
- Wyoming birds and their value to agriculture, Laramie, Wyoming, 1916. url .
- Zoology of Colorado, by Theodore D.A. Cockerell. .. Boulder, Col., University of Colorado, 1927. url p. 81.
- [Collected reprints, 1911-1931. s.l., s.n., 19--] url , .
- BirdLife International 2004. In IUCN 2008. 2008 IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. IUCNRedList.org. Downloaded July 18, 2008.
- BirdLife International 2009. Cyanocitta stelleri. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloadedon 31January2012.
- Bisby, F.A., Y.R. Roskov, M.A. Ruggiero, T.M. Orrell, L.E. Paglinawan, P.W. Brewer, N. Bailly, J. van Hertum, eds (2007). Species 2000 and ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2007 Annual Checklist. Species 2000: Reading, U.K.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 9, 2012.
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility. Accessed March 11, 2008. http://www.gbif.org Mediated distribution data from 11 providers.
- Hines, J. E., Gregory Gough, J. R. Sauer, et al. USGS Patuxent Wildlife Research Center
- IUCN 2012. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. . Downloaded on January 28, 2012.
- NatureServe. 2003. Downloadable animal data sets. NatureServe Central Databases. Accessed February 6, 2005.
- Parker III, T.A., D.F. Stotz, and J.W. Fitzpatrick, and quot;Ecological and Distributional Databases for Neotropical Birds, and quot; in Neotropical Birds: Ecology and Conservation, by D.F. Stotz, T.A. Parker III, J.W. Fitzpatrick, and D.K. Moskovits (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1996). ISBN 0-226-64676-9.
- Peterson, Alan P. Zoological Nomenclature Resource. Accessed June 19, 2009.
- Ruggiero M., Gordon D., Bailly N., Kirk P., Nicolson D. (2011). The Catalogue of Life Taxonomic Classification, Edition 2, Part A. In: Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2011 Annual Checklist (Bisby F.A., Roskov Y.R., Orrell T.M., Nicolson D., Paglinawan L.E., Bailly N., Kirk P.M., Bourgoin T., Baillargeon G., Ouvrard D., eds). DVD; Species 2000: Reading, UK.
- Sauer, J. R., J. E. Hines, and J. Fallon. 2005. The North American Breeding Bird Survey, Results and Analysis 1966 - 2004. Version 2005.2. USGS Patuxent Wildlife Research Center, Laurel, MD
- Sauer, J. R., S. Schwartz, and B. Hoover. 1996. The Christmas Bird Count Home Page. Version 95.1. USGS Patuxent Wildlife Research Center, Laurel, MD
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal March 11, 2008:
- Avian Knowledge Network: eBird
- Avian Knowledge Network: Great Backyard Bird Count
- Avian Knowledge Network: Project FeederWatch
- Borror Laboratory of Bioacoustics
- Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility: Provincial Museum of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada. Birds (Aves)
- Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility: Royal British Columbia Museum
- Canadian Museum of Nature: Canadian Museum of Nature Bird Collection
- Museum of Comparative Zoology, Harvard University: MCZ Ornithology Collection
- Museum of Vertebrate Zoology: Terrestrial vertebrate specimens
- New Brunswick Museum: NBM birds
- Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History: Santa Barbara Musem of Natural History
- UNIBIO, IBUNAM: CNAV/Coleccion Nacional de Aves
- University of Colorado Museum: Zoological specimens
- University of Michigan Museum of Zoology (UMMZ): Bird specimens
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 3923
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-179686
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 2498402
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 179685
- IUCN ID: 203602
- Natural Heritage Network Species Identifier: ABPAV02010
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 13080