Common Names in English:
Sitka Crab, Turtle Crab, Umbrella Crab
Species Cryptolithodes sitchensis
This Lithodid crab has a hugely expanded carapace so wide that it completely covers its walking legs unless the legs are stretched out. The rostrum is wider distally than it is proximally. The propodus of the chela is smooth . The margins of the abdominal plates do not have raised margins. Dorsal color variable--streaked gray like the specimen above, brown, scarlet (some males), or olive. Underside of carapace is nearly always white. Small individuals may be white or light brown. Male carapace to 9 cm wide.
Feeds on upright coralline algae such as Corallina, Calliarthron, and Bossiella.
- Specific name:
- Brandt, 1853
- Scientific name: - Cryptolithodes sitchensis Brandt, 1853
- Specific name: sitchensis - Brandt, 1853
- Genus: Cryptolithodes ()
- Family: Key to_Family.asp">hodes_sitchensis.html" target="_blank">Key to ()
- Order: Decapoda () - Decapods
- Phylum: Arthropoda () - Arthropods
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 18-Jan-2005
Cryptolithodes typicus has a similar body shape but has a rostrum that is widest at the base, the propodus of its chela is rough, and the margins of its abdominal plates have raised margins. (Ref. 109953)
Members of the genus Cryptolithodes
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 3 species and subspecies in this genus:
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- Alaska / Harriman Alaska Expedition. New York: Doubleday, Page, 1901-1910. url p. 164.
- Alaska. .. New York, Doubleday, Page & Company, 1901- url p. 164.
- Alaska. New York, Doubleday, Page & company, 1901- url p. 164.
- An outline of the theory of organic evolution with a description of some of the phenomena which it explains. New York, MacMillan, 1906. url p. 124, p. 203, p. xv.
- California fish and game. [San Francisco, etc.]: State of California, Resources Agency, Dept. of Fish and Game. url , , p. 335.
- Decapod crustaceans of the northwest coast of North America. .. New York, 1904. url p. 164.
- Harriman Alaska series. City of Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1910-1914. url p. 164.
- Harriman Alaska series. vol. I-V, VIII-XIV Washington, D.C., Smithsonian Institution, 1910-14 url p. 164.
- Occasional papers of the California Academy of Sciences. San Francisco: California Academy of Sciences, url p. 125.
- Point Lobos Reseerve; State Park, California. Interpretation of a primitive landscape. Sacramento, [State Print. Off., 1954] url p. 93.
- Synopsis of California stalk-eyed Crustacea, San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences, 1900. url p. 125.
- Synopsis of California stalk-eyed crustacea. San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences, 1900. url p. 125.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. 44 1930 Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 102, p. 105, p. 220.
- The marine decapod Crustacea of California, with special reference to the decapod Crustacea collected by the United States Bureau of Fisheries steamer "Albatross" in connection with the biological survey of San Francisco bay during the years 19 Berkeley, University of California press, 1921. url p. 155, p. 282, p. 398.
- The sea-beach at ebb-tide: a guide to the study of the seaweeds and the lower animal life found between tidemarks / by Augusta Foote Arnold. New York: The Century Co., 1901. url , p. 271, p. 482.
- The sea-beach at ebb-tide; a guide to the study of the seaweeds and the lower animal life found between tidemarks. New York, The Century co., 1901. url , .
- University of California publications in zoology. Berkeley: University Press, 1906- url p. 155, p. 398.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-2005. Systema Naturae 2000. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Amsterdam, The Netherlands. [http://sn2000.taxonomy.nl/Taxonomicon/]. Access date: Nov 23, 2005
- Cowles, Dave. Key to Invertebrates Found At or Near The Rosario Beach Marine Laboratory (a campus of Walla Walla University) Fidalgo Island, Anacortes, WA.
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility. Accessed February 29, 2008. http://www.gbif.org Mediated distribution data from 2 providers.
- Ruggiero M., Gordon D., Bailly N., Kirk P., Nicolson D. (2011). The Catalogue of Life Taxonomic Classification, Edition 2, Part A. In: Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2011 Annual Checklist (Bisby F.A., Roskov Y.R., Orrell T.M., Nicolson D., Paglinawan L.E., Bailly N., Kirk P.M., Bourgoin T., Baillargeon G., Ouvrard D., eds). DVD; Species 2000: Reading, UK.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal February 29, 2008:
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: Gwaii Haanas Invertebrates (OBIS Canada)
- National Museum of Natural History: NMNH Invertebrate Zoology Collections
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 2707095
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-97953
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 2494459
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 97953
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 153450