Common Names in English:
European White Slipper-Shell
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (C. Linnaeus, 1758) Cuvier, 1795
- Cuvier, 1795
- Snails and Slugs
- Ponder & Lindberg, 1996
- Cox, 1960
- Ponder & Lindberg, 1997
- Ponder & Lindberg, 1997
- Infraorder: Littorinimorpha () - Golikov & Starobogatov, 1975
- Suborder: Hypsogastropoda () - Ponder & Lindberg, 1997
- Order: Sorbeoconcha () - Ponder & Lindberg, 1997
- Superorder: Caenogastropoda () - Cox, 1960
- Subclass: Orthogastropoda () - Ponder & Lindberg, 1996
- Class: Gastropoda () - Cuvier, 1795 - Snails and Slugs
- Phylum: Mollusca () - (C. Linnaeus, 1758) Cuvier, 1795 - Molluscs
- Superphylum: Eutrochozoa ()
- Branch: Protostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Members of the genus Crepidula
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 13 species and subspecies in this genus:
C. aculeata (Spiny Slippersnail) · C. adunca (Hooked Slippersnail) · C. convexa (Convex Slippersnail) · C. fornicata (Common Atlantic Slippersnail) · C. grandis (Great Slippersnail) · C. maculosa (Spotted Slippersnail) · C. naticarum (Cheeky Slippersnail) · C. nummaria (Western White Slippersnail) · C. onyx (Onyx Slippersnail) · C. perforans (White Slippersnail) · C. plana (Eastern White Slippersnail) · C. striolata (Ridged Slippersnail) · C. unguiformis (European White Slipper-Shell)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- ... Catalogue of the marine Invertebrata of eastern Canada. By J. F. Whiteaves. .. Ottawa, Printed by S. E. Dawson, 1901. url p. 168.
- A biological survey of the waters of Woods Hole and vicinity / By Francis B. Sumner, Raymond C. Osburn, and Leon J. Cole. Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1913 url p. 723, p. 841.
- A history of British Mollusca and their shells / by Edward Forbes and Sylvanus Hanley. London: John Van Voorst, 1853. url p. 466, p. 466.
- A manual of conchology, according to the system laid down by Lamarck, with the late improvements by De Blainville exemplified and arranged for the use of students. By Thomas Wyatt. New York, Harper & brothers, 1838. url p. 101.
- A manual of the Mollusca: a treatise on recent and fossil shells / by Dr. S. P. Woodward; with an appendix of recent and fossil conchological discoveries to the present time, by Ralph Tate; illustrated by A. N. Waterhouse and Joseph Wilson Lowry. London: Virtue & Co., 1868. url p. 80.
- A manual of the Mollusca: or, A rudimentary treatise of recent and fossil shells / by S. P. Woodward; illustrated by A. N. Waterhouse and Joseph Wilson Lowry. London, J. Weale, 1851-56. url p. 375.
- Agriculture of Maine: . .. annual report of the Commissioner of Agriculture of the State of Maine. Augusta: [State of Maine, Dept. of Agriculture, 1903-1940.] url p. 237.
- American journal of conchology. Philadelphia, G.W. Tryon, jr., 1865-72. url p. 192, p. 220, p. 220.
- American marine conchology: or, Descriptions of the shells of the Atlantic coast of the United States from Maine to Florida / by George W. Tryon, Jr. Philadelphia: The author,  url p. 94.
- Annals of the Lyceum of Natural History of New York. New-York: 1824-1876. url p. 150, p. 152, p. 159, p. 194, p. 233, p. 454, p. 455, p. 456.
- Annual report of the regents of the university of the state of New York on the condition of the State Cabinet of Natural History and the historical and antiquarian collection annexed thereto. Albany, Regents of the University of the State of New York. url p. 32.
- Annual report on the New York State Museum of Natural History. Albany, Regents of the University of the State of New York. url p. 36.
- Beautiful shells of New Zealand: an illustrated work for amateur collectors of New Zealand marine shells, with directions for collecting and cleaning them / by E.G.B. Moss; photographs by C. Spencer. Auckland: Collins Bros., 1908. url , p. 42.
- Bibliography of North American conchology previous to the year 1860: prepared for the Smithsonian Institution / by W. G. Binney. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1863-1864. url p. 166, p. 215, p. 338, p. 86.
- Bulletin of the Museum of Comparative Zoology at Harvard College. Cambridge, Mass.: The Museum, 1863- url p. 285, p. 285, p. 61, p. 61.
- Bulletins of American paleontology. 3 1902 Ithaca, N.Y., Paleontological Research Institution [etc.] url p. 84.
- Catalogue of Tertiary Mollusca in the Department of Geology, British Museum (Natural History). Part 1. The Australasian Tertiary Mollusca. London:British Museum, 1897. url p. 248.
- Catalogue of marine shells in Lorenzo G. Yates' collection, Santa Barbara, Cal. Santa Barbara, Cal., 1886. url p. 9.
- Catalogue of shells collected at Panama: with notes on their synonymy, station, and geographical distribution / New York: R. Craighead, 1852. url , , .
- Catalogue of the Doane collection of shells, presented by Mrs. Rose Delano to the Marion natural history society. s.n., The Wareham press, 19--? url p. 37.
- Catalogue of the collection of Mazatlan shells in the British Museum, collected by Frederick Reigen / described by Philip P. Carpenter. London: Printed by order of the Trustees, 1857. url p. 272, p. 284.
- Check list of the Mollusca of New York / Elizabeth J. Letson. Albany: New York State Education Dept., 1905. url p. 10.
- Check lists of the shells of North America Prepared for the Smithsonian institution, by Isaac Lea, P. P. Carpenter, Wm. Stimpson, W. G. Binney, and Temple Prime Washington, Smithsonian institution1860 url p. 4, p. 7.
- Conchologia systematica, or Complete system of conchology: in which the Lepades and conchiferous Mollusca are described and classified according to their natural organization and habits. By Lovell Reeve. .. In two volumes. London, Longman, Brown, Green and Longmans;1841-1842. url p. 29.
- Contributions to Canadian biology. Toronto, Biological Board of Canada. url p. 268.
- Geography and geology of the region including Cape Cod, the Elizabeth islands, Nantucket, Marthas Vineyard, No Mans Land and Block island / by J. B. Woodworth and Edward Wigglesworth. 52 1934 Cambridge, Mass.: Printed for the Museum, 1934. url p. 43.
- Geological magazine. London [etc.]Cambridge University Press. url p. 210.
- Guide to the systematic distribution of Mollusca in the British museum. London, Printed by order of the trustees, 1857. url , , .
- Journal of conchology. London: D. Bogue. url p. 68.
- Journal of morphology. Boston: Ginn & Co., [1887-1924] url p. 9.
- List of marine Mollusca comprising the Quaternary fossils and recent forms from American localities between Cape Hatteras and Cape Roque, including the Bermudas / by William Healey Dall. Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1885. url p. 93.
- Manual of conchology, structural and systematic: with illustrations of the species / by George W. Tryon, Jr. Philadelphia: Published by the Author, Academy of Natural Sciences, 1879-1898. url p. 123, p. 124, p. 124, p. 124, p. 128, p. 128, p. 151, p. 151, p. 152, p. 152, p. 152, p. 185, p. 433.
- Manual of the New Zealand mollusca / with an atlas of quarto plates. Wellington, N. Z.: J. Mackay, govt. printer, 1913-1915. url p. 286, p. 287.
- Memoirs of the National Museum, Melbourne. Melbourne: The Museum, [1908-1944] url p. 18.
- Molluscan world, San Diego, Calif., 1915. url , p. 95.
- Natural history of New York. Albany: D. Appleton: 1842-1894. url p. 158.
- New York State Museum bulletin. 1905 Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1916-1944. url p. 10.
- Notes on Radiata in the museum of Yale College. New Haven, Tuttle, Morehouse & Taylor1871 url p. 339, p. 600.
- Proceedings and transactions of the Nova Scotian Institute of Natural Science. Halifax: Nova Scotian Institute of Natural Science. url p. 424.
- Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia, Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia url p. 12, p. 141, p. 174, p. 174, p. 175, p. 175.
- Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington. Washington, Biological Society of Washington url p. 537.
- Proceedings of the Boston Society of Natural History. Boston [etc.]Boston Society of Natural History. url p. 62.
- Proceedings of the Linnean Society of New South Wales. Sydney, Linnean Society of New South Wales. url p. 938, p. 938.
- Proceedings of the Royal Society of Victoria. Melbourne: The Society, 1889- url p. 153, p. 193, p. 200, p. 22, p. 65.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. 6 1883 Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 335.
- Proceedings of the Washington Academy of Sciences. Washington, Washington Academy of Sciences. url .
- Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London. London: Academic Press, [etc.], 1833-1965. url p. 211, p. 225, p. 360, p. 39, p. 680, p. 680, p. 738, p. 738.
- Random notes on natural history. Providence, R. I.: Southwick & Jencks, [1884-1886] url p. 7.
- Report on the Invertebrata of Massachusetts, published agreeabley to an order of the legislature. Boston, Wright and Potter, state printers, 1870. url p. 272, p. 272.
- Report on the conditions of the sea fisheries of the south coast of New England / United States Commission of Fish and Fisheries. Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1873. url p. 365, p. 410, p. 423, p. 471, p. 475, p. 505, p. 505, p. 512, p. 512, p. 515, p. 650.
- Report on the invertebrata of Massachusetts: comprising the Mollusca, Crustacea, Annelida, and Radiata / [by Augustus A. Gould] Cambridge: Folsom, Wells, and Thurston, 1841 url p. 159, p. 160.
- Report upon the invertebrate animals of Vineyard Sound and adjacent waters: with an account of the physical features of the region / by A.E. Verrill and S.T. Smith. Washington: G.P.O., 1874. url p. 116, p. 123, p. 141, p. 181, p. 183, p. 197, p. 211, p. 221, p. 39, p. 71.
- Shells of Maine. A catalogue of the land, fresh-water and marine Mollusca of Maine, by Norman Wallace Lermond. Thomaston, Me., pref. 1908 url p. 21, p. 21.
- Shells of New England. A revision of the synonomymy of the testaceous mollusks of New England. .. by William Stimpson. Boston, Phillips, Sampson, and company, 1851. url p. 30.
- Smithsonian miscellaneous collections. 5 1864 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1862-1968. url p. 115, p. 166, p. 196, p. 262, p. 338, p. 7, p. 86.
- South Carolina. Resources and population. Institutions and industries. Pub. by the State Board of Agriculture of South Carolina. Charleston, S.C.Walker, Evans & Cogswell, printers, 1883. url p. 300, p. 300.
- The Annals and magazine of natural history; zoology, botany, and geology being a continuation of the Annals combined with Loudon and Charlesworth's Magazine of Natural History. London, Taylor and Francis, Ltd. url p. 180, p. 180, p. 416, p. 416.
- The Biological bulletin. Woods Hole, Mass.: Marine Biological Laboratory, url p. 284, p. 75.
- The Journal of experimental zoology. [New York, etc.]Wiley-Liss [etc.] url p. 27, p. 34, p. 45, p. 51.
- The Macleay memorial volume, ed. by J. J. Fletcher. Sydney [etc.]The Society, 1893. url p. 62.
- The Mollusca and the Brachiopoda. Cambridge, Harvard College, Museum of Comparative Zoology]1908. url p. 174.
- The Nautilus. Melbourne, Fla., etc., American Malacologists, inc., etc. url p. 105, p. 114, p. 131, p. 131, p. 54, p. 67.
- The Quarterly journal of the Geological Society of London. London [etc.] url p. 105, p. 107, p. 109, p. 11, p. 111, p. 17, p. 244, p. 291.
- The Victorian naturalist. [Melbourne]Field Naturalists Club of Victoria. url p. 40.
- The conchologist's first book, or, A system of testaceous malachology, arranged expressly for the use of schools: in which the animals, according to Cuvier, are given with the shells, and a great number of new species added: with colored illustrations of two hundred and fifteen shells, presenting a correct type Philadelphia: Barrington and Haswell, 1845. url p. 94.
- The conchologist's first book: a system of testaceous malacology, arranged expressly for the use of schools, in which the animals, according to Cuvier, are given with the shells, a great number of new Philadelphia, Pub. for the Author, by Haswell, Barrington, and Haswell, 1840. url p. 94.
- The geology, botany, and natural history of the Maltese Islands. Compiled by G.N. Godwin. Malta, P. Bonavia, 1880. url p. 69.
- The mollusks of western North America embracing the second report made to the British Association on this subject, with other papers, reprinted by permission, with a general index / by Philip P. Carpenter. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1872. url p. 196.
- Transactions and proceedings of the Royal Society of South Australia (Incorporated). Adelaide: W.C. Rigby, 1912-1937. url p. 207.
- Transactions of Vassar Brothers Institute, and its Scientific Section. Poughkeepsie, N.Y.: Vassar Brothers Institute, [1883-1896]. url p. 49.
- Transactions of the Connecticut Academy of Arts and Sciences. New Haven: Published by the Academy, 1866- url p. 600, p. 600.
- Transactions of the Royal Society of South Australia. Adelaide, Australia: The Society, 1890-1903. url p. 330.
- Transactions of the Wagner Free Institute of Science of Philadelphia. 3 1892 Philadelphia: Wagner Free Institute of Science of Philadelphia, 1887-1927. url p. 358.
- Transactions of the Zoological Society of London. [London]: Published for the Zoological Society of London by Academic Press url p. 204, p. 406.
- Zoologist. London.1843-1916 url p. 405.
- Zoology of New York; or, The New York Fauna; comprising detailed descriptions of all the animals hitherto observed within the state of New York, with brief notices of those occasionally found near its borders, and accompa by James E. De Kay. Albany: W. & A. White & J. Visscher: 1842-44. url p. 158.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 10, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 27, 2007:
- Academy of Natural Sciences, Academy of Natural Sciences Malacology Database
- Marine Science Institute, UCSB, Paleobiology Database