Common Names in English:
Typically found in the intertidal zone at the water's edge at a mean distance from sea level of -11 meters (-35 feet).
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (C. Linnaeus, 1758) Cuvier, 1795
- Ponder & Lindberg, 1996
- Cox, 1960
- Ponder & Lindberg, 1997
- Ponder & Lindberg, 1997
- Infraorder: Littorinimorpha () - Golikov & Starobogatov, 1975
- Suborder: Hypsogastropoda () - Ponder & Lindberg, 1997
- Order: Sorbeoconcha () - Ponder & Lindberg, 1997
- Superorder: Caenogastropoda () - Cox, 1960
- Subclass: Orthogastropoda () - Ponder & Lindberg, 1996
- Phylum: Mollusca () - (C. Linnaeus, 1758) Cuvier, 1795 - Molluscs
- Superphylum: Eutrochozoa ()
- Branch: Protostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Calyptraea echinus Broderip • Crepidula hystrix Broderip
Status: Accepted Name
First described: Gmelin, J.F. in Linnaeus, C. Systema Naturae per Regna Tria Naturae, Secundum Classes, Ordines, Genera, Species, cum Characteribus, Differentiis, Synonymis, Locis. 13th Edn Lyon : J.B. Delamolliere Tom . 1 pars 6, pp. 3021–3910., 1791.
Last scrutiny: 17-Oct-2001
Members of the genus Crepidula
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 13 species and subspecies in this genus:
C. aculeata (Spiny Slippersnail) · C. adunca (Hooked Slippersnail) · C. convexa (Convex Slippersnail) · C. fornicata (Common Atlantic Slippersnail) · C. grandis (Great Slippersnail) · C. maculosa (Spotted Slippersnail) · C. naticarum (Cheeky Slippersnail) · C. nummaria (Western White Slippersnail) · C. onyx (Onyx Slippersnail) · C. perforans (White Slippersnail) · C. plana (Eastern White Slippersnail) · C. striolata (Ridged Slippersnail) · C. unguiformis (European White Slipper-Shell)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A catalog of recent Mollusca from all parts of the world. St. Petersburg, Fa: W.F. Webb, 19--. url p. 147.
- A contribution to the geologic history of the Floridian plateau, by Thomas Wayland Vaughan. Washington, D.C., Carnegie Institution of Washington, 1910 url p. 171.
- A history of the earth and animated nature / with copious notes, to which is subjoined an appendix by Thomas Brown. Glasgow: A. Fullarton, 1840. url p. 628.
- A manual of conchology, according to the system laid down by Lamarck, with the late improvements by De Blainville exemplified and arranged for the use of students. By Thomas Wyatt. New York, Harper & brothers, 1838. url p. 101.
- A manual of the Mollusca: a treatise on recent and fossil shells / by Dr. S. P. Woodward; with an appendix of recent and fossil conchological discoveries to the present time, by Ralph Tate; illustrated by A. N. Waterhouse and Joseph Wilson Lowry. London: Virtue & Co., 1868. url p. 80, p. 83, p. 84.
- A manual of the Mollusca: being a treatise on recent and fossil shells. London: C. Lockwood and Co., 1880. url p. 80, p. 83.
- A manual of the Mollusca: or, A rudimentary treatise of recent and fossil shells / by S. P. Woodward; illustrated by A. N. Waterhouse and Joseph Wilson Lowry. London, J. Weale, 1851-56. url p. 378, p. 379.
- Allan Hancock Pacific expeditions. [Reports] Los Angeles, University of Southern California Press. url p. 185, p. 218.
- American seashells. With illus. by Frederick M. Bayer. New York, Van Nostrand url p. 171.
- An essay on calcareous manures. By Edmund Ruffin. Petersburg, The author, 1842. url p. 234.
- Anales de la Sociedad Española de Historia Natural. Madrid: La Sociedad, url p. 463.
- Annual report - Western Society of Malacologists. Pomona, Calif., Western Society of Malacologists. url p. 28.
- Annual report of the Board of Regents of the Smithsonian Institution. 1859 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, -1965. url p. 200, p. 201.
- Annual report of the Laguna Marine Laboratory / Pomona College. Claremont, Calif.: Dept. of Biology, Pomona College, 1912- url p. 109.
- Annual report of the Regents / Albany: J.B. Lyon, State Printer, 1890-1903. url p. 22.
- Annual report of the regents of the university of the state of New York on the condition of the State Cabinet of Natural History and the historical and antiquarian collection annexed thereto. Albany, Regents of the University of the State of New York. url p. 32, p. 52, p. 58.
- Beautiful shells of New Zealand: an illustrated work for amateur collectors of New Zealand marine shells, with directions for collecting and cleaning them / by E.G.B. Moss; photographs by C. Spencer. Auckland: Collins Bros., 1908. url , p. 42.
- Bibliography of North American conchology previous to the year 1860: prepared for the Smithsonian Institution / by W. G. Binney. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1863-1864. url p. 186, p. 466.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url p. 136, p. 152, p. 162, p. 225, p. 279.
- Bulletin from the laboratories of natural history of the State University of Iowa. Iowa City, Iowa: The University, 1888-. url .
- Bulletin of the Museum of Comparative Zoology at Harvard College. Cambridge, Mass.: The Museum, 1863- url p. 25, p. 25, p. 286, p. 286.
- Bulletin of the Southern California Academy of Sciences. Los Angeles, Calif.: The Academy, 1902-1971. url p. 68.
- Bulletins of American paleontology. Ithaca, N.Y., Paleontological Research Institution [etc.] url p. 163, p. 19, p. 215, p. 243, p. 258, p. 407, p. 466, p. 471, figure 59, page 61, p. 73, p. 78.
- Carnegie Institution of Washington publication. Washington, Carnegie Institution of Washington, 1902- url p. 171.
- Catalog of Mollusca of South Carolina / by William Gaillard Mazÿck. Baltimore: Williams and Wilkins, 1913. url p. 17.
- Catalogue of Japanese mollusca in the Natural History Department, Tokyo Imperial Museum, by T. Iwakawa. Tokyo, Tokyo imperial museum, 1909- url p. 72.
- Catalogue of Tertiary Mollusca in the Department of Geology, British Museum (Natural History). Part 1. The Australasian Tertiary Mollusca. London:British Museum, 1897. url p. 247.
- Catalogue of marine shells in Lorenzo G. Yates' collection, Santa Barbara, Cal. Santa Barbara, Cal., 1886. url p. 39, p. 8.
- Catalogue of scientific papers (1800-1900) Comp. by the Royal society of London. Cambridge, C. J. Clay and sons, 1867-1902; url p. 261, p. 271.
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. Compiled by the Royal Society of London. London, C.J. Clay and Sons, 1867-1902 [etc.] Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1914-25. url p. 261, p. 271.
- Catalogue of the collection of Mazatlan shells in the British Museum, collected by Frederick Reigen / described by Philip P. Carpenter. London: Printed by order of the Trustees, 1857. url p. 294, p. 302.
- Catalogue of the marine mollusks of Japan, with descriptions of new species and notes on others collected by Frederick Stearns, by Henry A. Pilsbry. .. Detroit, Frederick Stearns, 1895. url p. 70, p. 70.
- Check lists of the shells of North America Prepared for the Smithsonian institution, by Isaac Lea, P. P. Carpenter, Wm. Stimpson, W. G. Binney, and Temple Prime Washington, Smithsonian institution1860 url p. 3, p. 4, p. 7.
- Conchologia systematica, or Complete system of conchology: in which the Lepades and conchiferous Mollusca are described and classified according to their natural organization and habits. By Lovell Reeve. .. In two volumes. London, Longman, Brown, Green and Longmans;1841-1842. url p. 29.
- Conchological miscellany. Boston, etc., 1834?-1883? url p. 27.
- Contributions to biology from the Hopkins Seaside Laboratory of the Leland Stanford Jr. University. Stanford University, Calif.: The University, 1895-1904. url p. 19, p. 308.
- Contributions to the Tertiary fauna of Florida, with especial reference to the Miocene silex-beds of Tampa and the Pliocene beds of the Calooshatchie River. Philadelphia, 1890-1903 url p. 1597, p. 1610.
- East coast marine shells: descriptions of shore mollusks together with many living below tide mark, from Maine to Texas inclusive, especially Florida, with more than one thousand drawings and photographs / by Maxwell Smith. Ann Arbor, Mich.: Edwards Brothers, 1951, [c1937] url p. 222, p. 96.
- East coast marine shells; descriptions of shore mollusks together with many living below tide mark, from Maine to Texas inclusive, especially Florida. Ann Arbor, Mich., Edwards Brothers, Inc.[c1937] url p. 222, p. 96.
- Essays in the natural sciences in honor of Captain Allan Hancock, on occasion of his birthday, July 26, 1955. Los AngelesUniversity of Southern California Press url p. 115, p. 139, p. 330.
- Figures of molluscous animals, selected from various authors. Etched for the use of students by Maria Emma Gray. .. London, Longman, Brown, Green and Longmans, 1859. url p. 11, p. 83.
- Fishery bulletin. United States Fish and Wildlife Service. Washington, The Service, U.S. Govt Print. Off. url p. 304, p. 347.
- Geographical catalogue of the Mollusca found west of the Rocky Mountains, between latitudes 33 and 49 north, by J.G. Cooper. San Francisco, Towne & Bacon, 1867. url p. 27.
- Guide to the systematic distribution of Mollusca in the British museum. London, Printed by order of the trustees, 1857. url .
- History of the earth and animated nature; with numerous notes from the works of the most distinguished British and foreign naturalists. London, 1859 url p. 356.
- Journal of conchology. London: D. Bogue. url , , p. 11, p. 165, p. 318, p. 79.
- Journal of the Elisha Mitchell Scientific Society. Chapel Hill, N.C. [etc.]Elisha Mitchell Scientific Society [etc.] url p. 141.
- List of duplicates of Japanese shells, marine, land, and fresh water, collected personally by Frederick Stearns. .. during his two visits to Japan, 1889-90, and 1892, and offered for sale or exchange. Detroit, J. F. Eby, printer, 1896. url p. 5.
- List of marine Mollusca comprising the Quaternary fossils and recent forms from American localities between Cape Hatteras and Cape Roque, including the Bermudas / by William Healey Dall. Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1885. url p. 92.
- List of mollusca and other forms of marine life collected in the years 1889-1890, in Japan. Detroit, 1891. url p. 9.
- List of the shells of South America in the collection of the British Museum. Collected and described by M. Alcide d'Orbigny. .. London, Printed by order of the trustees, 1854. url p. 48, p. 49.
- Manual of conchology, structural and systematic: with illustrations of the species / by George W. Tryon, Jr. Philadelphia: Published by the Author, Academy of Natural Sciences, 1879-1898. url p. 112, p. 124, p. 124, p. 127, p. 433, p. 433, p. 433.
- Marine shells of South Africa: a catalogue of all the known species, by G.B. Sowerby. London, Sowerby, 1892. url p. 39, p. 81.
- Marine shells of the western coast of Flordia / by Louise M. Perry and Jeanne S. Schwengel. Illus. by W. Hammersley Southwick, Axel A. Olsson, and Frank White. Ithaca, N.Y.: Paleontological Research Institution, 1955. url p. 248.
- Memoirs of the California Academy of Sciences. San Francisco: The Academy, 1868- url p. 19, p. 19, p. 22, p. 22, p. 28, p. 308, p. 308, p. 40.
- Memoirs of the San Diego Society of Natural History. 2 1944 San Diego, Calif.: The Society, 1931-1989. url p. 69, p. 791.
- Molluscan world, San Diego, Calif., 1915. url , p. 124, p. 2, p. 39, p. 39, p. 60, p. 61, p. 81, p. 94.
- Natural history of Hawaii, being an account of the Hawaiian people, the geology and geography of the islands, and the native and introduced plants and animals of the group, Honolulu, Hawaii[Printed for the author by] the Hawaiian gazette co., ltd., 1915. url p. 471.
- Papers from the Tortugas Laboratory of the Carnegie Institution of Washington. Washington, D.C.: Carnegie Institution of Washington, 1908-42. url p. 171.
- Pleistocene deposits of South Carolina: with an especial attempt at ascertaining what must have been the environmental conditions under which the Pleistocene Mollusca of the state lived / by Griffith Thompson Pugh. Nashville, Tenn., 1905. url p. 50.
- Post-Pleiocene fossils of South-Carolina / by Francis S. Holmes. Charleston, S.C.: Russell & Jones, 1860. url p. 95, p. 96.
- Proceedings - California Academy of Sciences, 4th series. San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences. url p. 413.
- Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia, Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia url p. 168, p. 174, p. 174, p. 175, p. 175, p. 176, p. 302, p. 302, p. 54, p. 758, p. 834, p. 834.
- Proceedings of the California Academy of Sciences, 4th series. San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences. url p. 10, p. 18, p. 187, p. 193, p. 200, p. 368, p. 370, p. 413, p. 414, p. 486, p. 624, p. 96.
- Proceedings of the Davenport Academy of Natural Sciences. Davenport, Ia., Academy of Natural Sciences [etc.] url p. 57, p. 57.
- Proceedings of the Linnean Society of New South Wales. Sydney, Linnean Society of New South Wales. url , , p. 170, p. 309, p. 316, p. 356.
- Proceedings of the Royal Society of Victoria. Melbourne: The Society, 1889- url p. 53.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 18, p. 203, p. 233, p. 281, p. 327, p. 401, p. 445, p. 796.
- Proceedings of the Washington Academy of Sciences. Washington, Washington Academy of Sciences. url , p. 564.
- Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London. London: Academic Press, [etc.], 1833-1965. url p. 1062, p. 145, p. 145, p. 196, p. 225, p. 360, p. 39, p. 39, p. 417, p. 737.
- Quarterly journal of conchology. London, D. Bogue. url , , , , p. 335, p. 416.
- Report of the Australian Association for the advancement of Science. Sidney, The Association. url p. 356.
- Report on the scientific results of the voyage of H.M.S. Challenger during the years 1873-76: under the command of Captain George S. Nares, R.N., F.R.S. and Captain Frank Turle Thomson, R.N. / prepared under the superintendence of Sir C. Wyville Thomson. Edinburgh: Neill, 1880-1895. url p. 458, p. 705, p. 706.
- Republication of Conrad's Fossil shells of the Tertiary formations of North America / by Gilbert Dennison Harris. Washington, D.C.: R. H. Darby, printer, 1893. url p. 102.
- Revue méthodique et critique des collections déposées dans cet établissement. Leyden, Rijksmuseum van Natuurlijke Historie. url p. 368, p. 538.
- Science. New York, N.Y.: [s.n.]1880- url p. 36.
- Smithsonian miscellaneous collections. 10 1873 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1862-1968. url p. 140, p. 186, p. 27, p. 3, p. 4, p. 41, p. 466, p. 47, p. 7.
- Structural and systematic conchology: an introduction to the study of the Mollusca... By George W. Tryon, jr.... Philadelphia: The author, 1882-84. url p. 166, p. 172.
- Studies in natural history. Iowa City, Ia. url p. 25.
- Systematic arrangement of the figures. S.1.: s.n., 1850? url p. 83.
- Texas conchologist. Houston, Houston Conchology Society url p. 41, p. 64, p. 94.
- The Biological bulletin. Woods Hole, Mass.: Marine Biological Laboratory, url p. 274, p. 284.
- The Farmers' register. Richmond, Va.: Edmund Ruffin, 1833-1843. url p. 234.
- The Macleay memorial volume, ed. by J. J. Fletcher. Sydney [etc.]The Society, 1893. url p. 62.
- The Mollusca and the Brachiopoda. Cambridge, Harvard College, Museum of Comparative Zoology]1908. url p. 233.
- The Natural history of Enewetak Atoll / edited by Dennis M. Devaney. .. [et al.]; prepared by Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Department of Energy. Oak Ridge, Tenn.: U.S. Dept. of Energy, Office of Energy Research, Office of Health and Environmental Research, Ecological Research Division, c1987. url p. 112.
- The Nautilus. Melbourne, Fla., etc., American Malacologists, inc., etc. url , , , p. 105, p. 106, p. 108, p. 11, p. 112, p. 112, p. 114, p. 115, p. 118, p. 124, p. 125, p. 125, p. 135, p. 41, p. 41, p. 44, p. 44, p. 45, p. 54, p. 54, p. 56, p. 65, p. 65, p. 7, p. 7, p. 70, p. 70, p. 89, p. 90, p. 94.
- The Tertiary and Quaternary Pectens of California / Ralph Arnold. Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1906. url , p. 35.
- The Victorian naturalist. [Melbourne]Field Naturalists Club of Victoria. url p. 91.
- The West-Indian marine shells: with some remarks, a manuscript printed for circulation between collectors. Falster, Denmark: Printed by W. Laubs widow & Chr. Jørgensen, 1864. url p. 69.
- The archaeological use and distribution of Mollusca in the Maya lowlands New Orleans, 1969. url p. 113, p. 37, p. 8.
- The conchologist / Boston: Russell, Odiorne & Metcalf, 1834. url p. 174.
- The conchologist's first book, or, A system of testaceous malachology, arranged expressly for the use of schools: in which the animals, according to Cuvier, are given with the shells, and a great number of new species added: with colored illustrations of two hundred and fifteen shells, presenting a correct type Philadelphia: Barrington and Haswell, 1845. url p. 94.
- The conchologist's first book: a system of testaceous malacology, arranged expressly for the use of schools, in which the animals, according to Cuvier, are given with the shells, a great number of new Philadelphia, Pub. for the Author, by Haswell, Barrington, and Haswell, 1840. url p. 94.
- The conchologist's text-book, embracing the arrangements of Lamarck and Linnaeus, with a glossary of technical terms. By Captain Thomas Brown. .. Illustrated by nineteen engravings on steel. .. 1833 Edinburgh, A. Fullarton;1833. url p. 99.
- The conchologist's text-book: embracing the arrangements of Lamarck and Linnaeus with a glossary of technical terms, to which is added a brief account of the mollusca / by William MacGillivray. London: A. Fullarton; [1858?] url p. 113, p. 113.
- The mollusks of western North America embracing the second report made to the British Association on this subject, with other papers, reprinted by permission, with a general index / by Philip P. Carpenter. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1872. url p. 24, p. 27, p. 355.
- The popular encyclopedia; being a general dictionary of arts, sciences, literature, biography, history, and political economy, reprinted from the American edition of the "Conversations lexicon". .. with dissertations on the ri by Sir D.K. Sandford, on the progress of science, by Thomas Thomson, and on the progress of the fine arts, by Allan Cunningham. Glasgow, Blackie[n.d.] url p. 380.
- The sea-beach at ebb-tide: a guide to the study of the seaweeds and the lower animal life found between tidemarks / by Augusta Foote Arnold. New York: The Century Co., 1901. url , p. 369, p. 482.
- The sea-beach at ebb-tide; a guide to the study of the seaweeds and the lower animal life found between tidemarks. New York, The Century co., 1901. url .
- The shell book: a popular guide to a knowledge of the families of living mollusks, and an aid to the identification of shells native and foreign / by Julia Ellen Rogers; eight plates in colour, and ninety-six in black-and-white mostly from photographs by A.R. Dugmore. New York: Doubleday, Page, 1908. url p. 470.
- The shell book; a popular guide to a knowledge of the families of living mollusks, and an aid to the identification of shells native and foreign, New York, Doubleday, Page & company, 1908. url .
- The zoologist's text-book, embracing the characters of the classes, orders, and genera, of almost the whole animal kingdom. .. By Captain Thomas Brown. .. Glasgow, A. Fullarton, & co.; [etc., etc.]1832. url p. 421.
- Transactions and proceedings of the Royal Society of South Australia (Incorporated). Adelaide: W.C. Rigby, 1912-1937. url p. 203.
- Transactions of the Royal Society of South Australia. Adelaide, Australia: The Society, 1890-1903. url p. 295.
- Transactions of the San Diego Society of Natural History. 5 1929 [San Diego]: The Society, 1905-1989. url p. 253, p. 300, p. 344, p. 38, p. 38, p. 467.
- Transactions of the Wagner Free Institute of Science of Philadelphia. Philadelphia: Wagner Free Institute of Science of Philadelphia, 1887-1927. url p. 1597, p. 213, p. 357.
- West coast shells. A description of the principal marine mollusks living on the west coast of the United States, and of the land shells of the adjacent region, by Josiah Keep. .. Also a chapter on the fresh water mollusks of the Pacific slope, by Harold Hannibal. .. San Francisco, The Whitaker & Ray-Wiggin Company, 1911. url p. 209.
- West coast shells. A familiar description of the marine, fresh water, and land mollusks of United States, found west of the Rocky Mountains. .. by Josiah Keep. .. With numerous illustrations by Laura M. Mellen. .. San Francisco, S. Carson & Co., 1888. url p. 226, p. 76.
- West coast shells: a familiar description of the marine, fresh water, and land mollusks of the United States, found west of the Rocky Mountains: adapted to the use of schools, private students, tourists and all lovers by Josiah Keep; with numerous illustrations by Laura M. Mellen. San Francisco: H.S. Crocker, 1893, c1887. url p. 226, p. 76.
- Zoogeography and ecology of some macro-invertebrates, particularly mollusks, in the Gulf of California and the continental slope off Mexico. [n.p.] url p. 169.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal February 02, 2008:
- Academy of Natural Sciences, Academy of Natural Sciences Malacology Database
- Academy of Natural Sciences, Academy of Natural Sciences OBIS Mollusc Database [Darwin Core]
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University, Academy of Natural Sciences OBIS Mollusc Database
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University, NBI
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University, Natal Museum - Mollusc Collection
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University, REVIZEE Score Sul / Bentos
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University, SINBIOTA - marine data
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University, The Deepwater Program: Northern Gulf of Mexico Continental Slope Habitat and Benthic Ecology - DgoMB: Trawl
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University, The SERTC Invertebrate Database: Invertebrates of the southeastern United States
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University, iziko South African Museum - Mollusc Collection
- Instituto Nacional de Biodiversidad
- , Biodiversidad de Costa Rica
- Marine Science Institute, UCSB, Paleobiology Database
- NLBIF, Natural History Museum Rotterdam
- Provider, Online Zoological Collections of Australian Museums
- The Swedish Museum of Natural History
- , Invertebrates
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 2684715
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-72628
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 13758669
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 72628
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 507577