Common Names in English:
Typically found in the intertidal zone at the water's edge at a mean distance from sea level of 460 meters (1,509 feet).
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (C. Linnaeus, 1758) Cuvier, 1795
- Cuvier, 1795
- Snails and Slugs
- Ponder & Lindberg, 1996
- Cox, 1960
- Ponder & Lindberg, 1997
- Ponder & Lindberg, 1997
- Infraorder: Littorinimorpha () - Golikov & Starobogatov, 1975
- Suborder: Hypsogastropoda () - Ponder & Lindberg, 1997
- Order: Sorbeoconcha () - Ponder & Lindberg, 1997
- Superorder: Caenogastropoda () - Cox, 1960
- Subclass: Orthogastropoda () - Ponder & Lindberg, 1996
- Class: Gastropoda () - Cuvier, 1795 - Snails and Slugs
- Phylum: Mollusca () - (C. Linnaeus, 1758) Cuvier, 1795 - Molluscs
- Superphylum: Eutrochozoa ()
- Infrakingdom: Lophotrochozoa ()
- Branch: Protostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Crepidula glauca Say
Status: Accepted Name
First described: Say Th. Description of the Myriapoda of the United States Journal of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia . (1) 3: 1, 1822.
Last scrutiny: 17-Oct-2001
Members of the genus Crepidula
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 13 species and subspecies in this genus:
C. aculeata (Spiny Slippersnail) · C. adunca (Hooked Slippersnail) · C. convexa (Convex Slippersnail) · C. fornicata (Common Atlantic Slippersnail) · C. grandis (Great Slippersnail) · C. maculosa (Spotted Slippersnail) · C. naticarum (Cheeky Slippersnail) · C. nummaria (Western White Slippersnail) · C. onyx (Onyx Slippersnail) · C. perforans (White Slippersnail) · C. plana (Eastern White Slippersnail) · C. striolata (Ridged Slippersnail) · C. unguiformis (European White Slipper-Shell)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- ... Catalogue of the marine Invertebrata of eastern Canada. By J. F. Whiteaves. .. Ottawa, Printed by S. E. Dawson, 1901. url p. 169.
- ...Results of the explorations made by the steamer Albatross off the northern coast of the United States in 1883. By A. E. Verrill. Washington: Govt. print. off., 1885. url .
- A biological survey of the waters of Woods Hole and vicinity / By Francis B. Sumner, Raymond C. Osburn, and Leon J. Cole. Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1913 url p. 152, p. 153, p. 154, p. 178, p. 402, p. 60, p. 62, p. 69, p. 722, p. 723, p. 8.
- A manual of the Mollusca: a treatise on recent and fossil shells / by Dr. S. P. Woodward; with an appendix of recent and fossil conchological discoveries to the present time, by Ralph Tate; illustrated by A. N. Waterhouse and Joseph Wilson Lowry. London: Virtue & Co., 1868. url p. 85.
- A manual of the Mollusca: being a treatise on recent and fossil shells. London: C. Lockwood and Co., 1880. url p. 85.
- A manual of the Mollusca: or, A rudimentary treatise of recent and fossil shells / by S. P. Woodward; illustrated by A. N. Waterhouse and Joseph Wilson Lowry. London, J. Weale, 1851-56. url p. 380.
- A manual of the common invertebrate animals, exclusive of insects / by Henry Sherring Pratt. .. with over one thousand illustrations. Chicago: A.C. McClurg & Co., 1923. url p. 539.
- A preliminary catalogue of the shell-bearing marine mollusks and brachiopods of the southeastern coast of the United States, with illustrations of many of the species. By William Healey Dall. .. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1903. url p. 194.
- Agriculture of Maine: . .. annual report of the Commissioner of Agriculture of the State of Maine. Augusta: [State of Maine, Dept. of Agriculture, 1903-1940.] url p. 237.
- American marine conchology, or, Descriptions of the shells of the Atlantic coast of the United States from Maine to Florida / by George W. Tryon, Jr. Philadelphia: Published by the Author, [1873-1874] url p. 93, p. 93.
- American marine conchology: or, Descriptions of the shells of the Atlantic coast of the United States from Maine to Florida / by George W. Tryon, Jr. Philadelphia: The author,  url p. 93.
- American seashells. With illus. by Frederick M. Bayer. New York, Van Nostrand url , p. 171.
- Animals of the seashore, by Horace G. Richards. Boston, B. Humphries, inc.[c1938] url p. 170, p. 178, p. 268.
- Annals of the Lyceum of Natural History of New York. New-York: 1824-1876. url p. 412, p. 491.
- Annual report - Western Society of Malacologists. Pomona, Calif., Western Society of Malacologists. url , p. 16, p. 39, p. 43, p. 6.
- Annual report of the Board of Regents of the Smithsonian Institution. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, -1965. url p. 145.
- Annual report of the Commissioners of Inland Fisheries made to the General Assembly / State of Rhode Island. Providence: The Commissioners. url p. 32.
- Annual report on the New York State Museum of Natural History. Albany, Regents of the University of the State of New York. url p. 36.
- Basic methods for experiments on eggs of marine animals, by Ernest Everett Just. Philadelphia, P. Blakiston's sons & co., inc.[c1939] url p. 35.
- Bibliography of North American conchology previous to the year 1860: prepared for the Smithsonian Institution / by W. G. Binney. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1863-1864. url p. 12, p. 276, p. 332, p. 358, p. 619, p. 94.
- Boston journal of natural history. 2 1838 - 18 Boston, Boston Society of Natural History. url p. 563.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url p. 152, p. 162, p. 194, p. 564.
- Bulletin of the Brooklyn Conchological Club. Brooklyn, N.Y.: The Club,  url p. 8.
- Bulletin of the Bureau of Fisheries. Washington, D.C.: Govt. Print. Off., 1905-1950. url , p. 1232, p. 1259, p. 152, p. 153, p. 154, p. 402, p. 60, p. 62, p. 69.
- Bulletin of the Museum of Comparative Zoology at Harvard College. Cambridge, Mass.: The Museum, 1863- url p. 286, p. 286.
- Bulletin of the U.S. Department of Agriculture. [Washington, D.C.?]: Supt. of Docs., G.P.O., 1913-1923. url p. 33.
- Bulletins of American paleontology. Ithaca, N.Y., Paleontological Research Institution [etc.] url p. 101, p. 14, p. 213, p. 589, p. 599, p. 61, p. 78.
- Catalogue of marine shells in Lorenzo G. Yates' collection, Santa Barbara, Cal. Santa Barbara, Cal., 1886. url p. 8.
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. CambridgeUniversity Press1908-14 url p. 916.
- Check list of the Mollusca of New York / Elizabeth J. Letson. Albany: New York State Education Dept., 1905. url p. 10.
- Check lists of the shells of North America Prepared for the Smithsonian institution, by Isaac Lea, P. P. Carpenter, Wm. Stimpson, W. G. Binney, and Temple Prime Washington, Smithsonian institution1860 url p. 4.
- Contributions to Canadian biology. Toronto, Biological Board of Canada. url p. 246, p. 268.
- Contributions to biology from the Hopkins Seaside Laboratory of the Leland Stanford Jr. University. Stanford University, Calif.: The University, 1895-1904. url p. 360.
- Contributions to the Tertiary fauna of Florida, with especial reference to the Miocene silex-beds of Tampa and the Pliocene beds of the Calooshatchie River. Philadelphia, 1890-1903 url p. 1610, p. 1616.
- Contributions to the geology and paleontology of the Canal Zone, Panama, and geologically related areas in Central America and the West Indies. / Prepared under the direction of Thomas Wayland Vaughan. Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1919. url p. 564.
- Culture methods for invertebrate animals; a compendium prepared cooperatively by American zoologists under the direction of a committee from Section F of the American Association for the Advancement of Science [by] Paul S. Galtsoff, Frank E. New York, Dover Publications url p. 531.
- Fauna of New England. Boston, Printed for the [Boston] Society [of Natural History] from the Gurdon Saltonstall Fund, 1904-25. url p. 110.
- Fauna of New England: 13. List of the mollusca / by Charles W. Johnson. Boston: Boston Society of Natural History, 1915. url p. 110.
- Fishery bulletin. United States Fish and Wildlife Service. Washington, The Service, U.S. Govt Print. Off. url p. 214.
- Jenaische Zeitschrift für Naturwissenschaft. Jena, Gustav Fischer [etc.]. url p. 34.
- Journal of conchology. London: D. Bogue. url p. 277.
- Journal of morphology. Boston: Ginn & Co., [1887-1924] url , p. 13, p. 143, p. 149, p. 15, p. 165, p. 167, p. 168, p. 169, p. 17, p. 170, p. 171, p. 178, p. 179, p. 180, p. 184, p. 185, p. 20, p. 21, p. 23, p. 25, p. 50, p. 6, p. 9.
- Journal of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia: Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia, 1817-1918. url p. 207, p. 6.
- Keys to marine invertebrates of the Woods Hole region: a manual for the identification of the more common marine invertebrates / compiled by Ralph I. Smith with the assistance of many other contributors. Woods Hole, Mass.: Systematics-Ecology Program, Marine Biological Laboratory, 1964. url p. 134, p. 140.
- List of marine Mollusca comprising the Quaternary fossils and recent forms from American localities between Cape Hatteras and Cape Roque, including the Bermudas / by William Healey Dall. Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1885. url p. 92.
- List of marine invertebrates, mainly from the New England coast, distributed by the United States National Museum. prepared by Richard Rathbun. Washington: United States National Museum, 1882 url p. 301.
- Manual of conchology, structural and systematic: with illustrations of the species. by George W. Tryon, Jr. Philadelphia: Published by the Author, 1885-1935. url p. 84.
- Maryland geological survey. Baltimore: The Johns Hopkins Press, 1901-1923. url p. 189.
- Memoirs of the California Academy of Sciences. San Francisco: The Academy, 1868- url , p. 360, p. 360, p. 408.
- Molluscan fauna from San Francisco bay, by E.L. Packard. Berkeley: University of California press, 1918. url p. 322, p. 357, p. 402.
- Molluscan world, San Diego, Calif., 1915. url , p. 138.
- Natural history of New York. .. Albany, D. Appleton & co. and Wiley & Putnam;1842-94. url p. 158, p. 266.
- Natural history of New York. Albany: D. Appleton: 1842-1894. url p. 158, p. 158, p. 266, p. 266.
- New York State Museum bulletin. 1905 Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1916-1944. url p. 10.
- New names introduced by H. A. Pilsbry in the Mollusca and Crustacea, by William J. Clench and Ruth D. Turner. [Philadelphia]Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia, 1962. url p. 166.
- Notes on American land shells, and other miscellaneous conchological contributions / by W.G. Binney. Burlington, N.J.: Printed for the author, 1874-. url p. 8.
- Observations on living gasteropods of New England, by Edward S. Morse. Salem, Mass., Peabody museum, 1921. url p. 32, p. 44, p. 5.
- Occasional papers of the Boston Society of Natural History. Boston, Boston Society of Natural History, 1869-1941. url p. 110.
- On growth and form / by D'Arcy Wentworth Thompson. Cambridge: University Press; 1945. url p. 557.
- On growth and form. Cambridge [Eng.]University press, 1917. url p. 340.
- Pleistocene deposits of South Carolina: with an especial attempt at ascertaining what must have been the environmental conditions under which the Pleistocene Mollusca of the state lived / by Griffith Thompson Pugh. Nashville, Tenn., 1905. url p. 50, p. 52.
- Popular science monthly. New York: D. Appleton, 1872-1950. url p. 178, p. 180.
- Postilla. 2001 New Haven, Conn.: Peabody Museum of Natural History, [1950?]-c2004. url p. 10, p. 13.
- Proceedings - Staten Island Institute of Arts and Sciences. Staten Island, N.Y., Staten Island Institute of Arts and Sciences. url , p. 27.
- Proceedings and transactions of the Nova Scotian Institute of Natural Science. Halifax: Nova Scotian Institute of Natural Science. url p. 424.
- Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia, Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia url p. 217, p. 217, p. 321, p. 419, p. 435, p. 435, p. 441, p. 495, p. 725.
- Proceedings of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences. Boston: Metcalf and Co., 1846-1958 url p. 454.
- Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington. Washington, Biological Society of Washington url p. 625, p. 628, p. 630, p. 631, p. 637.
- Proceedings of the Boston Society of Natural History. Boston [etc.]Boston Society of Natural History. url p. 61, p. 62.
- Proceedings of the Davenport Academy of Natural Sciences. Davenport, Ia., Academy of Natural Sciences [etc.] url p. 241, p. 241, p. 56, p. 56.
- Proceedings of the Essex Institute. Salem: Essex Institute Press. url p. 29.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 127, p. 287, p. 301, p. 421, p. 491, p. 550, p. 660.
- Productive farming; or, A familiar digest of the recent discoveries of Liebig, Johnston, Davy, and other celebrated writers on vegetable chemistry; showing how the results of tillage might be greatly augmented. By Joseph A. Smith. New York, D. Appleton & Co., 1843. url p. 404.
- Quarterly journal of microscopical science. London, J. and A. Churchill [etc.] url p. 103.
- Random notes on natural history. Providence, R. I.: Southwick & Jencks, [1884-1886] url p. 6.
- Report of the Commissioner for. .. / United States Commission of Fish and Fisheries. Washington: G.P.O., 1874-1905. url , p. 693.
- Report on the Invertebrata of Massachusetts / published agreeably to an order of the Legislature. Boston: Wright and Potter, state printers, 1870. url p. 273.
- Report on the conditions of the sea fisheries of the south coast of New England / United States Commission of Fish and Fisheries. Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1873. url , , p. 333, p. 333, p. 355, p. 365, p. 377, p. 377, p. 423, p. 429, p. 429, p. 463, p. 463, p. 465, p. 465, p. 471, p. 479, p. 479, p. 650.
- Report on the invertebrata of Massachusetts: comprising the Mollusca, Crustacea, Annelida, and Radiata / [by Augustus A. Gould] Cambridge: Folsom, Wells, and Thurston, 1841 url p. 160, p. 161, p. 365.
- Report upon the invertebrate animals of Vineyard Sound and adjacent waters: with an account of the physical features of the region / by A.E. Verrill and S.T. Smith. Washington: G.P.O., 1874. url , p. 135, p. 177, p. 185, p. 356, p. 39, p. 61, p. 71, p. 83.
- Science. New York, N.Y.: [s.n.]1880- url p. 658, p. 856.
- Sea-shore life; The invertebrates of the New York coast, by Alfred Goldsborough Mayer. New York: The New York zoological society, 1905. url p. 151.
- Shells of Maine. A catalogue of the land, fresh-water and marine Mollusca of Maine, by Norman Wallace Lermond. Thomaston, Me., pref. 1908 url p. 21, p. 21.
- Smithsonian miscellaneous collections. 22 1882 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1862-1968. url p. 127, p. 276, p. 28, p. 301, p. 4, p. 4, p. 550, p. 9.
- Special scientific report. Seattle, National Marine Fisheries Service; for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off., 1949-1971. url p. 6.
- Statistics of the state of Georgia: including an account of its natural, civil, and ecclesiastical history; together with a particular description of each county, notices of the manners and customs of its aboriginal tribes, and a corre by George White. Savannah: W. Thorne Williams, 1849. url p. 39.
- Structural and systematic conchology: an introduction to the study of the Mollusca... By George W. Tryon, jr.... Philadelphia: The author, 1882-84. url p. 41.
- Texas conchologist. [Houston, Houston Conchology Society], 1964- url , , , p. 13, p. 20, p. 28, p. 29, p. 31, p. 35, p. 41, p. 61, p. 78, p. 81, p. 86, p. 94, p. 96.
- The American journal of science and arts. New-Haven: S. Converse, url p. 109, p. 110, p. 190, p. 279.
- The American journal of science. 42 1842 New Haven, Kline Geology Laboratory, Yale University. url p. 109, p. 110, p. 134, p. 135, p. 190, p. 194, p. 279, p. 282, p. 370, p. 51.
- The Annals and magazine of natural history; zoology, botany, and geology being a continuation of the Annals combined with Loudon and Charlesworth's Magazine of Natural History. London, Taylor and Francis, Ltd. url p. 208.
- The Bermuda Islands: a contribution to the physical history and zoology of the Somers archipelago. With an examination of the structure of coral reefs. Researches undertaken under the auspices of the Academy of natural sc Philadelphia, The author, 1889. url p. 171.
- The Biological bulletin. Woods Hole, Mass.: Marine Biological Laboratory, url , p. 101, p. 174, p. 181, p. 211, p. 213, p. 214, p. 221, p. 226, p. 226, p. 227, p. 229, p. 232, p. 235, p. 275, p. 280, p. 326, p. 327, p. 361, p. 365, p. 367, p. 514, p. 515, p. 518, p. 519, p. 524, p. 525, p. 526, p. 77.
- The Collecting net. Woods Hole, Mass., The Collecting net url p. 121.
- The Harvey lectures. New York [etc.]Academic Press [etc.] url p. 255.
- The Journal of experimental zoology. [New York, etc.]Wiley-Liss [etc.] url p. 14, p. 2, p. 247, p. 4, p. 54.
- The Journal of geology. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1893- url p. 726.
- The Nautilus. Melbourne, Fla., etc., American Malacologists, inc., etc. url , , p. 114, p. 120, p. 127, p. 13, p. 14, p. 143, p. 144, p. 145, p. 146, p. 147, p. 153, p. 175, p. 19, p. 211, p. 27, p. 27, p. 28, p. 33, p. 34, p. 37, p. 38, p. 39, p. 47, p. 5, p. 55, p. 60, p. 61, p. 73, p. 74, p. 74, p. 75, p. 76, p. 8, p. 8, p. 80, p. 84, p. 85, p. 85, p. 85, p. 86, p. 87, p. 88, p. 91, p. 94, p. 98, p. 98.
- The Pleistocene deposits of Sankoty Head, Nantucket, and their fossils. Nantucket, Mass., 1906. url p. 17.
- The animal life of our seashore. With special reference to the New Jersey coast and the southern shore of Long Island. By Angelo Heilprin. .. Philadelphia, J.B. Lippincott Company, 1888. url .
- The complete writings of Thomas Say, on the conchology of the United States / edited by W.G. Binney. New York: H. Baillière, 1858. url p. 75, p. 75.
- The conchologist's first book, or, A system of testaceous malachology, arranged expressly for the use of schools: in which the animals, according to Cuvier, are given with the shells, and a great number of new species added: with colored illustrations of two hundred and fifteen shells, presenting a correct type Philadelphia: Barrington and Haswell, 1845. url p. 94.
- The conchologist's first book: a system of testaceous malacology, arranged expressly for the use of schools, in which the animals, according to Cuvier, are given with the shells, a great number of new Philadelphia, Pub. for the Author, by Haswell, Barrington, and Haswell, 1840. url p. 94.
- The littoral marine fauna of Provincetown, Cape Cod, Massachusetts / by Richard Rathbun. Washington, D.C.: [s.n.], 1881. url p. 127.
- Transactions of Vassar Brothers Institute, and its Scientific Section. Poughkeepsie, N.Y.: Vassar Brothers Institute, [1883-1896]. url p. 49.
- Transactions of the Wagner Free Institute of Science of Philadelphia. Philadelphia: Wagner Free Institute of Science of Philadelphia, 1887-1927. url p. 1610, p. 1616, p. 213, p. 215, p. 355, p. 357.
- University of California publications in zoology. Berkeley: University Press, 1906- url p. 205, p. 322, p. 402.
- Zoologist. London.1843-1916 url , p. 406.
- Zoology of New York; or, The New York Fauna; comprising detailed descriptions of all the animals hitherto observed within the state of New York, with brief notices of those occasionally found near its borders, and accompa by James E. De Kay. Albany: W. & A. White & J. Visscher: 1842-44. url p. 158, p. 266.
- [A biological survey of the waters of Woods Hole and vicinity. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1913] url p. 152, p. 153, p. 154, p. 178, p. 402, p. 60, p. 62, p. 69, p. 8.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 10, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal December 06, 2007:
- Academy of Natural Sciences, Academy of Natural Sciences Malacology Database
- Academy of Natural Sciences, Academy of Natural Sciences OBIS Mollusc Database [Darwin Core]
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University, EPA'S EMAP Database
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University, NBI
- Instituto Nacional de Biodiversidad
- , Biodiversidad de Costa Rica
- Marine Science Institute, UCSB, Paleobiology Database
- Yale University Peabody Museum, Yale Peabody Museum - Invertebrate Paleontology DiGIR provider service
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 2684712
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-72624
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 13758669
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 72624
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 507574