Family : Sculpins ; Inhabits hard bottoms (under stones ) in streams , rivers and lakes , rarely in brackish coastal waters . Feeds on small bottom invertebrates , mainly insects, crustaceans. Contrary to statements in older literature, eggs and larvae of fishes are not a common foot item. Pink to yellow eggs are found in clumps attached to undersides of large stones.
Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Czech:
Hlavac obycajny, Vranka obecná
Common Names in Danish:
Almindelig ferskvandsulk, Ferskvandsulk, Flodulk, Hvidfinnet ferskvandsulk
Common Names in Dutch:
Common Names in English:
bullhead, European bullhead, Freshwater sculpin, miller's thumb, Sculpin
Common Names in Finnish:
Common Names in French:
Aze, Botte, Cabot, Chabot, Chabot commun, Sassot, Séchot, Têtard
Common Names in German:
Bullen, Dickkopf, Dickkopp, Dolbn, Greppe, Groppe, Gruppe, Kappen, Kaulkopf, Kaulquappe, Kautzenkopf, Koppe, Kuleken, Mühlkoppe, Müllerkopf, Müllerkoppe, Rotzkober, Rotzkolbe, Tolben, Turzbull
Common Names in Hungarian:
Common Names in Hungarian (Magyar):
Botos K, Botos kölönte
Common Names in Italian:
Go de Brenta, Marsion d'aqua dolce, Scazzone
Common Names in Latvian:
Common Names in Lithuanian:
Common Names in Mandarin Chinese:
喬沙鮈杜父魚, 繡色杜父魚, 绣色杜父鱼, 鮈杜父魚, 鮈杜父鱼
Common Names in Norwegian:
Common Names in Polish:
Glowacz bialopletwy, Klujek kamienny
Common Names in Portuguese:
Common Names in Romanian:
Common Names in Rumanian:
Common Names in Russian:
Buichok-podkamentschik, Bychok-podkamenschik, Podkamenshchik obyknovennyi, Podkamenshtschik, баба-рыба, бычок-пресноводный, воронка, обыкновенный подкаменщик, Подкаменщик обыкновенный
Common Names in Serbian:
Common Names in Slovak:
Common Names in Slovene:
Common Names in Slovenian:
Common Names in Spanish:
Common Names in Swedish:
Rysk Simpa, Stensimpa
Common Names in Turkish:
Common Names in Ukrainian:
Common Names in Welsh:
Species Cottus gobio
Males are commonly 10 cm (Total Length) in length when caught/marketed, but may be as large as 18 cm (Total Length).
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 2,911 meters (0 to 9,551 feet).
Cold, clear and fast-flowing water of small stream to medium-sized rivers . As well on gravel or rocky shores of cold lakes and in slightly brackish waters along eastern Baltic coast.
Spawns for the first time at 2-4 years. Spawns in March-April, when temperature rises above 12°C. Females spawn once a year. Most individuals spawn for several years. They lay adhesive eggs in a compact clutch on ceiling of small cavities in gravel or rock bottom . Males guard eggs until hatching ; a single male may guard the egg clutches of several females. Feeds on a wide variety of benthic invertebrates . (Ref. 265445).
List of Habitats:
- 5 Wetlands (inland)
- 5.1 Wetlands (inland) - Permanent Rivers/Streams/Creeks (includes waterfalls ) [more info]
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Bateson, 1885
- Cuvier, 1812
- Jawed Vertebrates
- Huxley, 1880
- Class: Osteichthyes () - Huxley, 1880
- Superclass: Osteichthyes () - Huxley, 1880
- Infraphylum: Gnathostomata () - auct. - Jawed Vertebrates
- Subphylum: Vertebrata () - Cuvier, 1812 - Vertebrates
- Phylum: Chordata () - Bateson, 1885 - Chordates
- Infrakingdom: Chordonia () - (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Deuterostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Cottus affinis Heckel • Cottus ferrugineus Heckel & Kner • Cottus gobio gobio Linnaeus • Cottus gobio haemusi Marinov and Dikov • Cottus gobio jaxartensis Berg • Cottus gobio Linnaeus, 1758 • Cottus gobio macrostomus Jeitteles • Cottus gobio pellegrini Bacescu & Bacescu -Mester • Cottus gobio pellegrini Vladykov • Cottus gobio roseus Odenwall
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: Data last modified by FishBase 06-Sep-1994
Considering its wide range and the observed morphological diversity , future research on C. gobio is likely to show that it is in fact an assemblage of several species..
Members of the genus Cottus
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 98 species and subspecies in this genus:
C. affinis (Rough Sculpin) · C. aleuticus (Coastrange Sculpin) · C. amblystomopsis (Sakhalin Sculpin) · C. asper (Prickly Bullhead) · C. asperrimus (Rough Sculpin) · C. aturi (Adour Sculpin) · C. australis (Eastern Fortesque) · C. baicalensis (Big-Headed Sculpin) · C. baileyi (Black Sculpin) · C. bairdi (Freshwater Sculpin) · C. bairdii (Rocky Mountain Bullhead) · C. bairdii bairdii (Freshwater Sculpin) · C. bairdii hubbsi (Columbia Mottled Sculpin) · C. bairdi bairdi (Freshwater Sculpin) · C. bairdi hubbsi (Columbia Mottled Sculpin) · C. beldingi (Paiute Sculpin) · C. beldingii (Paiute Sculpin) · C. bendirei (Malheur Sculpin) · C. bicornis (Twohorn Sculpin) · C. bubalis (Longspined Sea-Scorpion) · C. caeruleomentum (Blue Ridge Sculpin) · C. carolinae (Banded Sculpin) · C. carolinae carolinae (Banded Sculpin) · C. carolinae infernatis (Banded Sculpin) · C. cataphractus (Armed Bullhead) · C. cognatus (Western Slimy Sculpin) · C. cognatus cognatus (Western Slimy Sculpin) · C. cognatus gracilis (Bear Lake Bullhead) · C. confusus (Shorthead Sculpin) · C. czerskii (Cherskii's Sculpin) · C. diceraus (Antlered Sculpin) · C. duranii (Dordogne Sculpin) · C. echinatus (Utah Lake Sculpin) · C. extensus (Bear Lake Sculpin) · C. girardi (Potomac Sculpin) · C. gobio (Freshwater Sculpin) · C. gobio gobio (Freshwater Sculpin) · C. gobio jaxartensis (Bullhead) · C. gracilis (Yellow-Fin Baikal Sculpin) · C. greenei (Shoshone Sculpin) · C. grunniens (Grunting Toadfish) · C. gulosus (Riffle Sculpin) · C. haemusi (Vit Sculpin) · C. hemilepidotus (Red Irish Lord) · C. hispaniolensis (Pyrrenean Sculpin) · C. hubbsi (Columbia Sculpin) · C. hypselurus (Wood River Sculpin) · C. bairdii (Longfin Baikal Sculpin) · C. jaok (Plain Sculpin) · C. japonicus (Red Baikal Sculpin) · C. kazika (Baunt Sand Sculpin) · C. kessleri bauntovi (Baunt Sand Sculpin) · C. klamathensis (Marbled Sculpin) · C. kneri (Stone Sculpin) · C. koshewnikowi (Volga Sculpin) · C. leiopomus (Wood River Sculpin) · C. lilljeborgii (Norway Bullhead) · C. maculatus (Vitim Sculpin) · C. marginatus (Margined Sculpin) · C. bairdii (Southern Miller's Thumb) · C. metae (Save Sculpin) · C. microstomus (Baltic Sculpin) · C. monopterygius (Atlantic Alligatorfish) · C. nasalis (Tubenose Sculpin) · C. niger (Warthead Sculpin) · C. octodecemspinosus (Long-Spined Sculpin) · C. otaitensis (Frill-Lip Flathead) · C. paulus (Pygmy Sculpin) · C. perifretum (Bullhead) · C. perplexus (Reticulate Hookjaw Moray) · C. pistilliger (Threaded Sculpin) · C. pitensis (Pit Sculpin) · C. platycephalus (Belligerent Sculpin) · C. poecilopus (Siberian Bullhead) · C. poecilopus poecilopus (Mottlefoot Sculpin) · C. poecilopus volki (Alpine Bullhead) · C. pollux (Japanese Fluvial Sculpin) · C. polyacanthocephalus (Great Sculpin) · C. princeps (Klamath Lake Sculpin) · C. paulus (Pygmy Sculpin) · C. quadricornis (Alaska Fourhorn Sculpin) · C. rhenanus (Rhine Sculpin) · C. rhothea (Torrent Sculpin) · C. rhotheus (Torrent Sculpin) · C. ricei (Rice´s Sculpin) · C. rondeleti (H?rault Sculpin) · C. scaber (Rough Flat Head) · C. scaturigo (Timavo Sculpin) · C. scorpius (Daddy Sculpin) · C. sibiricus (Siberian Miller's Thumb) · C. spinulosus (Turkestan Sculpin) · C. tenuis (Slender Sculpin) · C. thomsonii (Pallid Sculpin) · C. transsilvaniae (Arges Sculpin) · C. tricuspis (Arctic Staghorn Sculpin) · C. uncinatus (Arctic Hookear Sculpin) · C. verrucosus (Warty Sculpin) · C. villosus (Woods' Clingfish)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- ... The genera of fishes. .. A contribution to the stability of scientific nomenclature. By David Starr Jordan. Stanford University, Calif., The University, 1917-1920. url p. 12, p. 19.
- A bibliography of fishes, New York, American Museum of Natural History, 1916-1923. url , , , , .
- A bibliography of fishes, by Bashford Dean. .. New York: American Museum of Natural History, 1916-1923. url p. 142, p. 242, p. 334, p. 341, p. 342, p. 414, p. 425, p. 45, p. 518, p. 520, p. 526, p. 586, p. 6, p. 6.
- A guide to the study of fishes, by David Starr Jordan. .. New York, H. Holt and Company, 1905. url p. 166.
- A handbook of the vertebrate fauna of Yorkshire: being a catalogue of British mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians, and fishes / by Wm. Eagle Clarke, and Wm. Denison Roebuck. London: Reeve, 1881. url p. 110, p. 110.
- A handbook to the vertebrate fauna of north Wales. London, Witherby & Co., 1919. url p. 82.
- A history of British birds / by William Yarrell, V.P.L.S., F.Z.S. London: John van Voorst, 1871-1885. url p. 138.
- A history of British fishes / by William Yarrell. .. Illustrated by nearly 400 woodcuts. London: J. Van Voorst, 1836. url p. 56.
- A history of Scandinavian fishes / by B. Fries, C. U. Ekström and C. Sundevall; with coloured plates by W. von Wright and text illustrations. Stockholm: P.A. Norstedt & söner, 1892-1895. url p. 170, p. 173, p. 174.
- A history of fishes; illus. by W. P. C. Tenison. New York, A. A. Wyn, 1949. url .
- A history of the earth and animated nature / with copious notes, to which is subjoined an appendix by Thomas Brown. Glasgow: A. Fullarton, 1840. url p. 616.
- A history of the fishes of Massachusetts / by David Humphreys Storer. Boston: Dakin & Metcalf, 1867. url p. 24.
- A manual of the vertebrate animals of the northern United States: including the district north and east of the Ozark mountains, south of the Laurentian hills, north of the southern boundary of Virginia, and east of the Missouri river, inclusive of marine species / Chicago:A. C. McClurg, 1916. url .
- A student's text-book of zoology, by Adam Sedgwick. .. London, Macmillan Co., 1898-1909. url p. 242.
- A synopsis of the fishes of North America / by David Humphreys Storer. Cambridge: Metcalf, 1846. url p. 53, p. 55, p. 7.
- A tour in Sutherlandshire: with extracts from the field-books of a sportsman and naturalist / with an Appendix on the fauna of Sutherland by J.A. Harvie-Brown and T.E. Buckley. Edinburgh, Douglas, 1884. url p. 366.
- A treatise on zoology London, A. and C. Black, 1900-1909 url p. 266.
- A treatise on zoology. London, Adam and Charles Black, 1900-1909 url p. 453.
- Acta Societatis pro Fauna et Flora Fennica. Helsinki: Societas, 1875-1980. url , p. 10, p. 12, p. 13, p. 138, p. 18, p. 29, p. 29, p. 30, p. 31, p. 45, p. 46, p. 47, p. 59, p. 6, p. 64, p. 70, p. 78.
- An introduction to the natural history of fishes: being the article "Ichthyology, " from. .. the Encyclopædia Britannica / by James Wilson. 1838 Edinburgh, etc.: Adam and Charles Black, [et al.]1838. url p. 173, list of british fishes, page 7.
- Anatomischer Anzeiger. Jena: G. Fischer, 1886- url p. 135, p. 16, p. 198, p. 199, p. 26, p. 26, p. 27, p. 385, p. 388, p. 83, p. 91.
- Annals of the Lyceum of Natural History of New York. New-York: 1824-1876. url p. 416.
- Annual report of the Board of Regents of the Smithsonian Institution. 5 1850 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, -1965. url p. 12.
- Annual report on the New York State Museum of Natural History. Albany, Regents of the University of the State of New York. url p. 78.
- Aristotle's History of animals. In ten books. London, Bell, 1887. url p. 92.
- Bibliography and catalogue of the fossil vertebrata of North America, by Oliver Perry Hay. Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1902. url p. 406.
- Boston journal of natural history. 5 1845 - 18 Boston, Boston Society of Natural History. url p. 116, p. 117, p. 118, p. 119, p. 121, p. 123, p. 127, p. 132, p. 133, p. 134, p. 135, p. 342, p. v.
- British and Irish Salmonidæ. By Francis Day. .. London [etc.]Williams and Norgate, 1887. url p. 288.
- British birds. London, Witherby & Co. url p. 146.
- British fresh water fishes / by Rev. W. Houghton. . . illustrated with a coloured figure of each species drawn from nature by A. F. Lydon, and numerous engravings. London [etc.]: W. Mackenzie, . url p. 203.
- British fresh-water fishes / by the Right Hon. Sir Herbert Maxwell; with twelve coloured plates including twenty-two figures from photographs. London: Hutchinson, 1904. url .
- British fresh-water fishes, by the Right Hon. Sir Herbert Maxwell, bart.. .. With twelve coloured plates including twenty-two figures from photographs. London, Hutchinson & Co., 1904. url p. 310.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url p. 1941, p. 2009, p. 9.
- Bulletin / Illinois Natural History Survey. Urbana, State of Illinois, Dept. of Registration and Education, Natural History Survey Division, 1918-1985. url p. 288, p. 34.
- Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History). London: BM(NH) url p. 104, p. 221.
- Bulletin of the Bureau of Fisheries. Washington, D.C.: Govt. Print. Off., 1905-1950. url p. 205.
- Bulletin of the Museum of Comparative Zoology at Harvard College. 1 1863 Cambridge, Mass.: The Museum, 1863- url p. 3, p. 76, p. 76.
- Camallanata of animals and man and diseases caused by them = Kamallanaty zhivotnykh i cheloveka i vyzyvaemye ime zabolevaniya / V. M. Ivashkin, A. A. Sobolev, and L. A. Khromova; translated from Russian [by Hilary Hardin]. Jerusalem: Israel Program for Scientific Translations, 1977. url p. 332.
- Carnegie Institution of Washington publication. Washington, Carnegie Institution of Washington, 1902- url p. 49.
- Cassell's natural history. Ed. by P. Martin Duncan. .. London [etc]Cassell & Company, Limited, 1896. url p. 95.
- Catalogue of scientific papers (1800-1900) Comp. by the Royal society of London. Cambridge, C. J. Clay and sons, 1867-1902; url p. 130, p. 277, p. 80, p. 887, p. 98.
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. Compiled by the Royal Society of London. London, C.J. Clay and Sons, 1867-1902 [etc.] Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1914-25. url p. 130, p. 277, p. 80, p. 887, p. 98.
- Catalogue of the books, manuscripts, maps and drawings in the British Museum (Natural History) London: BM(NH), 1903-1940. url p. 23.
- Catalogue of the fishes in the British Museum / by Albert Gu?nther. .. [Tokyo?]: Kagaku Kisho Hakkokai, Sho?wa 13 . url p. 156, p. 157, p. 158, p. 168, p. 521.
- Catalogue of the fishes in the. .. Museum / by A. Günther London, 1860. url p. 156, p. 157, p. 158, p. 168, p. 178, p. 521.
- Central Asiatic Expeditions of the American Museum of Natural History, under the leadership of Roy Chapman Andrews: preliminary contributions in geology, palaeontology, and zoology / by R.C. Andrews. .. [et al.] [New York: American Museum of Natural History, 1926-1930]. url p. 53.
- Ciba Foundation colloquia on ageing. Editors for the Ciba Foundation: G.E.W. Wolstenholme and Margaret P. Cameron, assisted by Joan Etherington. Boston, Little, Brown, 1955- url p. 145, p. 28, p. 319.
- Contributions to the natural history of the fresh water fishes of North America. By Charles Girard. [Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1851. url , p. 13, p. 38, p. 6, p. 8.
- Current bibliography for aquatic sciences and fisheries. London, Taylor & Francis ltd. url p. 259, p. 286, p. 534, p. 61, p. 697.
- Dean bibliography of fishes. New York: American Museum of Natural History, 1971-1973. url p. 110, p. 13, p. 16, p. 190, p. 200, p. 204, p. 244, p. 257, p. 267, p. 290, p. 291, p. 293, p. 294, p. 304, p. 315, p. 323, p. 326, p. 460, p. 461, p. 463, p. 465, p. 467, p. 479, p. 491, p. 497, p. 50, p. 517, p. 519, p. 52, p. 522, p. 534, p. 537, p. 558, p. 58, p. 580, p. 581, p. 582, p. 585, p. 587, p. 588, p. 589, p. 594, p. 596, p. 599, p. 600, p. 602, p. 603, p. 605, p. 609, p. 611, p. 612, p. 621, p. 625, p. 629, p. 63, p. 633, p. 646, p. 655, p. 662, p. 663, p. 669, p. 670, p. 679, p. 7, p. 715, p. 719, p. 738, p. 742, p. 748, p. 750, p. 78.
- Ecological animal geography; an authorized, rewritten edition based on Tiergeographie auf ockologischer grundlage / by Richard Hesse. .. prepared by W. C. Allee. .. and Karl P. Schmidt. .. New York: J. Wiley & Sons, Inc.; 1937. url p. 306, p. 566.
- Elements of natural history, adapted to the present state of the science, containing the generic characters of nearly the whole animal kingdom, and the descriptions of the principal species. By John Stark. .. Edinburgh: W. Blackwood; [etc., etc.], 1828. url p. 469.
- Elements of the comparative anatomy of the vertebrate animals: designed especially for the use of students / New York: J.S. Redfield, 1845. url p. 237.
- English cyclopaedia, a new dictionary of universal knowledge, conducted by Charles Knight. London, Bradbury, 1854-61. url .
- Fauna boreali-americana, or, The zoology of the northern parts of British America: containing descriptions of the objects of natural history collected on the late northern land expeditions, under command of Captain Sir John Franklin, R.N. / by John Richardson, surgeon and naturalist to the expeditions; assisted by William Swainson and the Reverend William Kirby. London: J. Murray [etc.], 1829-1837. url p. 41, p. 43.
- Fauna, flora & geology of the Clyde area, ed. by G.F. Scott Elliot, Malcolm Laurie and J. Barclay Murdoch. Glasgow, Pub. by the local committee for the meeting of the British Association, 1901. url p. 174.
- Fertilization in fishes and the problem of polyspermy = Oplodotvorenie u ryb i problema polispermii / by A.S. Ginzburg; edited by T.A. Detlaf. Jerusalem: Israel Program for Scientific Translations, 1972. url p. 65.
- Fishery bulletin / U.S. Dept. of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, National Marine Fisheries Service. Washington, D.C.: The Service: url p. 569, p. 582.
- Fishery leaflet / United States Department of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service. Washington, D.C.: The Service, url p. 246, p. 95.
- Fishes of Turkestan. (Travels in Turkestan, A.P. Fedtshemko) St. Petersburg, 1874. url .
- Fishes, New York, H. Holt and Company, 1907. url .
- Fishes, by David Starr Jordan. .. with 18 colored plates and 673 illustrations. .. New York, H. Holt and Company, 1907. url p. 656.
- Fleas, flukes & cuckoos; a study of bird parasites, by Miriam Rothschild and Theresa Clay. New York, Macmillan, 1957. url p. 291.
- Fresh-water aquaria: their construction, arrangement, and management, with full information as to the best water-plants and live stock to be kept, how and where to obtain them, and how to keep them in health, London, L.U. Gill[pref. 1890] url , .
- Guide to the British fresh-water fishes exhibited in the Department of Zoology, British Museum (Natural History). London: Printed by order of the Trustees of the British Museum, 1917. url p. 37.
- Guide to the Gallery of Fishes [London]: BM(NH), 1908 url p. 184.
- Handbook of zoology / by J. van der Hoeven. Cambridge: University Press, 1856-1858. url p. 187.
- Handbook to the natural history of Cambridgeshire, ed. by J.E. Marr. .. and A.E. Shipley. .. Cambridge, University press, 1904. url p. 111.
- Handbuch der Biologie der Wirbeltiere. Von Dr. M. Hilzheimer. unter Mitwirkung von Dr. Phil. O. Haempel. mikt 599 Textabbildungen. vii, 756 p.illus (part col.)26 cm. url p. 104, p. 108, p. 112, p. 13, p. 147, p. 61, p. 90.
- Harmsworth's Universal encyclopedia, written by the leading authorities in every branch of knowledge and edited by J.A. Hammerton. London, Educational Bk. Co.[n.d.] url p. 5416.
- History of Vermont, natural, civil and statistical, in three parts, with an appendix. 1853. By Zadock Thompson. Burlington, The author, 1853. url p. 32.
- History of animals in ten books. Translated by Richard Cresswell. London, G. Bell, 1902. url p. 92.
- Hydrobiologische studien über ostalpenseen. Stuttgart, Erwin Nägele, 1923. url p. 467, p. 495.
- Ibis. [London]Published for the British Ornithologists' Union by Academic Press. url p. 157.
- Iconographic encyclopaedia of science, literature, and art. systematically arranged by J.G. Heck. Translated from the German, with additions, and edited by Spencer F. Baird. .. illustrated by five hundred steel plates, containing upwards to twelve thousand en New York, R. Garrigue, 1851. url p. 16.
- Illustrated natural history of the animal kingdom, being a systematic and popular description of the habits, structure, and classification of animals from the highest to the lowest forms, with their r New-YorkDerby & Jackson1859 url p. 435.
- International catalogue of scientific literature. LondonPublished for the International Council by the Royal Society of London1901-1920 url p. 223, p. 8.
- Jenaische Zeitschrift für Naturwissenschaft. Jena, Gustav Fischer [etc.]. url p. 107, p. 111, p. 126, p. 131, p. 15, p. 16, p. 203, p. 204, p. 21, p. 475, p. 48, p. 511, p. 518, p. 550, p. 554, p. 719, p. 721, p. 78, p. 83.
- Journal of comparative neurology. Philadelphia, Pa.: Wistar Institute of Anatomy and Biology, [1911?- url p. 617, p. 7, p. 72.
- Journal of morphology. Boston: Ginn & Co., [1887-1924] url p. 229, p. 231, p. 244, p. 246, p. 249, p. 254, p. 334, p. 465, p. 533, p. 538.
- Journal of the Royal Microscopical Society. Oxford [etc.]Royal Microscopical Society. url , p. 453, p. 499, p. 756, p. 788.
- Les poissons des eaux douces de la France: anatomie--physiologie--description des espèces--moeurs--instincts--industrie--commerce--resources alimentaires--pisciculture--législation concernant la pêche / par Émile Blanchard. Paris: J. B. Baillière et fils, 1880. url , p. 161.
- Life in ponds and streams. London, Longmans, Green, 1896. url .
- Loudon's Natural History. Popular descriptions, tales and anecdotes of more than five hundred animals. London, G. Bell and sons, 1889. url p. 486.
- Magazine of zoology and botany. Edinburgh; Dublin. url p. 389.
- Manual of human and comparative histology / edited by S. Stricker, assisted by J. Arnold [et al.]; translated by Henry Power London: The New Sydenham Society, 1870-1873 url p. 21.
- Manual of the vertebrate animals of the northern U.S.. .. inclusive of the marine species. Chicago, McClurg, 1894, c1876-88. url .
- Mark anniversary volume; to Edward Laurens Mark, Hersey professor of anatomy and director of the zoölogical laboratory at Harvard university, in celebration of twenty-five years of successful work for the advancement of zoölo New York, H. Holt and company, 1903. url p. 106.
- Meddelelser om Grønland. København, C. A. Reitzels Forlag, 1879-1979. url p. 340.
- Memoirs and proceedings of the Manchester Literary & Philosophical Society. Manchester: The Society, 1888-1980. url p. 33.
- Memoirs of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences. [Boston: The Academy, url p. 259, p. 304, p. 305, p. 307.
- Monitore zoologico italiano. [Siena]: Instituto anatomico della R. Università di Siena, [1890-1988] url p. 183.
- Monogenetic trematodes: their systematics and phylogeny / by Boris E. Bychowsky; edited by William J. Hargis, Jr.; translated by Pierre C. Oustinoff. Washington, D.C.: American Institute of Biological Sciences, c1961. url p. 254, p. 261, p. 262, p. 602, p. 623.
- My garden, its plan and culture together with a general description of its geology, botany, and natural history, London, Bell and Daldy, 1872. url .
- Natural history of New York. .. Albany, D. Appleton & co. and Wiley & Putnam;1842-94. url p. 55.
- Natural history of New York. Albany: D. Appleton: 1842-1894. url p. 55.
- Natural history of the animal kingdom for the use of young people: in three parts, comprising I. Mammalia: II. Birds: Part III. Reptiles, amphibia, fishes, insects, worms, molluscs, zoophytes, &c.: with 91 coloured plates, including about 850 figures, and numerous adapted from the German of Professor von Schubert by W.F. Kirby. 1889 Brighton: E. & J.B. Young and Co., 1889. url p. VIII.
- Nature. London, Macmillan. url p. 326.
- Notes about some in Finland found species of non-parasitical worms: (Turbellaria, Discophora, et Oligochaeta fennica) / by Axel R. Spoof. Åbo: Printed for the author, 1889. url p. 14.
- Notes on fish and fishing. London, S. Low, Marston, Searle, & Rivington, 1877. url .
- Observations in natural history: with an introduction on habits of observing, as connected with the study of that science; also a calendar of periodic phenomena in natural history; with remarks on the importance of such registers / by the Rev. Leonard Jenyns. London: John van Voorst, 1846. url p. 209.
- Official lists and indexes of names and works in zoology / edited by R.V. Melville and J.D.D. Smith. London: ICZN, 1987. url p. 74.
- Opinions and declarations rendered by the International Commission on Zoological Nomenclature. London, Printed by order of the International Trust for Zoological Nomenclature. url , p. 12, p. 241, p. 4, p. 6, p. 7, p. 8.
- Our country's fishes and how to know them: a guide to all the fishes of Great Britain / by W.J. Gordon with every species illustrated in colour, and many sketches in outline by A. Lambert 1902 London: Simpkin, Hamilton, Kent & Co.,  url p. 9.
- Outlines of general zoology. New York [N.Y.]: Rudolph Garrigue, 1851. url , .
- Pamphlets on forestry. Fish and game. [1900?- url p. 1941, p. 2009.
- Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia, Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia url , p. 42.
- Proceedings of the Boston Society of Natural History. Boston [etc.]Boston Society of Natural History. url p. 103.
- Proceedings of the Canadian Institute. Toronto, Canadian Institute. url p. 259.
- Proceedings of the Indiana Academy of Science. Indianapolis, Ind.[s.n.] url p. 379, p. 379.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. 2 1879 Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 22.
- Proceedings of the Washington Academy of Sciences. Washington, Washington Academy of Sciences. url p. 48, p. 51, p. 68.
- Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London. London: Academic Press, [etc.], 1833-1965. url p. 193, p. 252, p. 486, p. 495, p. 954.
- Proceedings. Royal Society of London. v. 1-75; 1800-1904. London url p. 658.
- Quarterly journal of microscopical science. Oxford, [etc.]Clarendon Press [etc.] url p. 168.
- Report of the Commissioner for. .. / United States Commission of Fish and Fisheries. Washington: G.P.O., 1874-1905. url , , , .
- Report of the Dove Marine Laboratory / the University of Newcastle upon Tyne. [Newcastle-upon-Tyne]: The University, url p. 43.
- Report of the Geological Survey of Ohio. Columbus, Nevins & Myers, state printers, 1873-93. url .
- Report on the geology, mineralogy, botany, and zoology of Massachusetts. Made and published by order of the gobernment of that state: in four parts. With a descriptive list of the specimens of rocks and minerals collected for the government. By Edward Hitchcock. Amherst, Press of J.S. and C. Adams, 1833. url p. 554.
- Report on the progress and condition of the U.S. National Museum for the year ending June 30. .. / Smithsonian Institution, United States National Museum. Washington: G.P.O., 1907-1951. url p. 121.
- Reptiles, amphibia, fishes and lower chordata, by Richard Lydekker, J. T. Cunningham, G. A. Boulenger, and J. A. Thomson. With four plates in colour, thirty-three in monotone, a map and many text figures. London: Methuen,  url p. 266.
- Rochester and district; a sketch-guide to its geology, flora, & fauna, compiled by J. Hepworth. Rochester, Parrett & Neves, 1913. url p. 56.
- Second American edition of the British encyclopedia, or Dictionary of arts and sciences. Philadelphia: Mitchell, Ames and White, 1818. url .
- Sex and internal secretions. Contributors: A. Albert [and others] Foreword by George W. Corner. Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins, 1961. url p. 1233.
- Smithsonian contributions to knowledge. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1848-1916. url p. 38, p. 6, p. 8, p. 9.
- Smithsonian miscellaneous collections. 52 1910 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1862-1968. url figs. 28-30 , p. 102, p. 105, p. 22, fig. 32, p. 73.
- Special scientific report--wildlife / U.S. Department of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service. Washington, D.C.: The Service, 1949- url p. 58, p. 65, p. 657, p. 66.
- Special scientific report. Seattle, National Marine Fisheries Service; for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off., 1949-1971. url p. 53.
- Spencer Fullerton Baird; a biography, including selections from his correspondence with Audubon, Agassiz, Dana, and others, London, J. B. Lippincott Ccompany, 1915. url .
- Studies on Myxosporidia; a synopsis of genera and species of Myxosporidia; with 25 plates and 2 textfigures, by Rokusaburo Kudo. .. Urbana, Ill., University of Illinois, c1920 url p. 128.
- Syllogeus. Ottawa, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1972-1995. url p. 7.
- Ten years in Sweden: being a description of the landscape, climate, domestic life, forests, mines, agriculture, field sports and fauna of Scandinavia. London, Groombridge and sons, 1865. url .
- Text book of zoology London, Sampson Low, Marston, 1896. url , .
- The Annals and magazine of natural history; zoology, botany, and geology being a continuation of the Annals combined with Loudon and Charlesworth's Magazine of Natural History. London, Taylor and Francis, Ltd. url p. 240, p. 260, p. 68, p. 68.
- The Annals of Scottish natural history. Edinburgh: David Douglas, 1892-1911. url p. 20, p. 20.
- The Annual of scientific discovery: or, Year-book of facts in science and art. Boston: Gould, Kendall, and Lincoln, 1850- url p. 309, p. 356.
- The Biological bulletin. Woods Hole, Mass.: Marine Biological Laboratory, url p. 429, p. 430, p. 431.
- The Canadian ice age being notes on the pleistocene geology of Canada: with especial reference to the life of the period and its climatal conditions / by Sir J. William Dawson. Montreal: W.V. Dawson, 1893. url p. 267.
- The Canadian record of science. Montreal, Natural History Society. url p. 86.
- The Journal of the Linnean Society of London. London: Academic Press [etc.], 1865-1968. url p. 49, p. 49, p. 501, p. 501.
- The Naturalist. 1891 [Doncaster: Yorkshire Naturalists' Union], 1874- url p. 112, p. 139, p. 145, p. 147, p. 148.
- The Scottish naturalist. Perth [etc.]: Cowan & Co. [etc.], url p. 6.
- The Trematoda of British fishes. London, Sold by B. Quaritch, 1947. url p. 324, p. 354.
- The Victoria history of Berkshire. edited by P.H. Ditchfield and William Page. [LondonConstable]1906-1923 url p. 134.
- The Victoria history of the County of Hertford / edited by William Page. London: Published for the University of London, Institute of Historical Research by Dawsons of Pall Mall,  url .
- The Victoria history of the county of Warwick. London: Published for the University of London Institute of Historical Research by Dawsons of Pall Mall, 1965- url p. 184.
- The angler-naturalist; a popular history of British fresh-water fish, with a plain explanation of the rudiments of ichthyology. London, J. Van Voorst, 1863. url .
- The animal kingdom, arranged according to its organization, serving as a foundation for the natural history of animals: and an introduction to comparative anatomy / by Baron Cuvier; with figures designed after nature: the Crustacea, Arachnides, & Insecta, by M. Latreille; translated from the latest French edition; with additional notes, and illustrated by near London: G. Henderson, 1834-1837. url p. 257.
- The aquarium: its inhabitants, structure, and management / by John Ellor Taylor. Edinburgh: John Grant, 1910. url p. 312.
- The birds of Norfolk: with remarks on their habits, migration, and local distribution / by Henry Stevenson. London: J. Van Voorst, 1866-1890. url p. 73.
- The class Pisces / arranged by the Baron Cuvier with supplementary additions, by Edward Griffith and Charles Hamilton Smith. London: Whittaker, 1834. url p. 139.
- The correspondence of John Ray, consisting of selections from the philosophical letters published by Dr. Derham and original letters of John Ray in the collection of the British Museum / London: Printed for the Ray Society, 1848. url p. 240.
- The faunal connections between Europe and North America. New York, Wiley url p. 39.
- The fisheries of the Adriatic and the fish thereof: a report of the Austro-Hungarian sea-fisheries, with a detailed description of the marine fauna of the Adriatic Gulf / by G. L. Faber; with eighteen woodcut illustrations after drawings by Leo Littrow, and numerous engravings on stone. London: B. Quaritch, 1883. url p. 261, p. 270, p. 272, p. 277, p. 281.
- The fishes of Great Britain and Ireland / Edinburgh: Williams and Norgate, 1880-1884. url p. 106.
- The fishes of North and Middle America: a descriptive catalogue of the species of fish-like vertebrates found in the waters of North America, north of the Isthmus of Panama / by David Starr Jordan and Barton Warren Evermann. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, United States National Museum, 1896-1900. url p. 1941, p. 2009.
- The fresh-water fishes of China / by John Treadwell Nichols; with 143 figures in the text, 10 colored plates, and 1 map. 1943 New York: American Museum of Natural History, 1943. url p. 253.
- The fresh-water fishes of Europe: a history of their genera, species, structure, habits, and distribution / by H. G. Seeley. London, Cassell & company, limited, 1886. url , p. 50.
- The fresh-water fishes of Europe; a history of their genera, species, structure, habits, and distribution. London, Cassell, 1886. url p. 443, p. 50, p. 51, p. 53, p. 54, p. 56, p. ix.
- The freshwater fishes of the British Isles. London: Methuen, 1911. url p. 237.
- The genera of fishes. ..: A contribution to the stability of scientific nomenclature / By David Starr Jordan. Stanford University, Calif.: The University, 1917-1920. url p. 12, p. 19.
- The history of Harting, by the Rev. H.D. Gordon. With a chapter on the geology of the district, by the late Sir Roderick Impey Murchison, and some notice of its fauna and flora, by J. Weaver. London: Printed for the authors by W. Davy, 1877. url p. 303.
- The history of the European fauna. London, W. Scott, 1899. url p. 93.
- The human species, considered from the standpoints of comparative anatomy, physiology, pathology and bacteriology. London, Longmans, 1909. url p. 144.
- The last of the Arctic voyages being a narrative of the expedition in H.M.S. Assistance under the command of Captain Sir Edward Belcher, C.B., in search of Sir John Franklin, during the years 1852-53-54. London: L. Reeve, 1855. url , .
- The last of the Arctic voyages; being a narrative of the expedition in H. M. S. Assistance, under the command of Captian Sir Edward Belcher, C. B., in search of Sir John Franklin, during the years 1852-53-54. With notes on the natural history, by Sir John Richardson, Professor Owen, Thomas Bell, J. W. Salter and Lovell Reeve. London, L. Reeve, 1855. url p. 348, p. 349.
- The mammals, reptiles, and fishes of Essex; a contribution to the natural history of the county. By Henry Laver. With eight full-page and two half-page illustrations. Chelmsford, E. Durrant & co.; [etc., etc.]1898. url p. 135, p. 24, p. 26, p. 28, p. 89.
- The micrographic dictionary; a guide to the examination and investigation of the structure and nature of microscopic objects, by J. W. Griffith and Arthur Henfrey. London, J. Van Voorst, 1883. url p. 102.
- The natural history & antiquities of Selborne; &, A garden kalendar / by Gilbert White; edited by R. Bowdler Sharpe; with an introduction to the Garden kalendar by the Very Reverend S. Reynolds Hole; & numerous illustrations by Edmund J. Sullivan. London: S.T. Freemantle, 1900. url p. 382, p. 411.
- The natural history and antiquities of Selborne / London: Methuen, 1901. url .
- The natural history of British fishes. Edinburgh, W. H. Lizars; [etc.]1843. url , p. 142.
- The natural history of Ireland. London: Reeve, Benham and Reeve, 1849-56. url p. 81.
- The natural history of Selborne, with its antiquities; naturalist's calendar, & c. London, Orr and Smith, 1836. url p. 29.
- The naturalist in Siluria (Herefordshire, Radnorshire, Brecknockshire and Glamorganshire). By Captain Mayne Reid. .. Philadelphia, Gebbie & Co., 1890. url p. 6.
- The naturalist's library. Conducted by Sir William Jardine. Edinburgh, W. H. Lizars; [etc., etc.]1833- url , p. 142.
- The naturalist. London: Simpkin, Marshall, 1865- url p. 219.
- The new natural history. New York, Merrill, c1901. url p. 2750.
- The papillose Allocreadiidae; a study of their morphology, life histories, and relationships, Urbana, Ill., University of Illinois, 1934 url p. 14, p. 15.
- The practical study of malaria and other blood parasites, by J.W.W. Stephens and S.R. Christophers. London, Published for the University Press of Liverpool by Williams and Norgate, 1908. url p. 358.
- The river-side naturalist; notes on the various forms of life met with either in, on, or by the water, or in its immediate vicinity. Illus. with numerous woodcuts. London, Low, Marston, Searle, & Rivington, 1890. url p. 200.
- The royal natural history / edited by Richard Lydekker; with preface by P.L. Sclater; illustrated with seventy-two coloured plates and sixteen hundred engravings by W. Kuhnert. .. [et al.]. London: F. Warne, 1893-1896. url p. 381.
- The standard dictionary of facts, history, language, literature, biography, geography, travel, art, government, politics, industry, invention, commerce, science, education, natural history, statistics Buffalo, Frontier Press url p. 738.
- The story of the universe, told by great scientists and popular authors; collected and ed. by Esther Singleton. New York: P.F. Collier and Son, [c1905] url p. 1609.
- The structure and development of Corallobothrium, with descriptions of two new fish tapeworms; Urbana, Ill., c1928 url p. 62.
- The vertebrate eye and its adaptive radiation [by] Gordon Lynn Walls. Bloomfield Hills, Mich., Cranbrook Institute of Science, 1942 url p. 481.
- The vertebrate fauna of Cheshire and Liverpool Bay / London: Witherby, 1910. url p. 91.
- The wonder of life, London, A. Melrose, Ltd. url .
- The wonder of life, by Arthur Thomson. London, A Melrose, ltd.1914. url p. 103.
- The wonder of life, by J. Arthur Thomson. New York: Henry Holt & co.,  url p. 103.
- Third American edition of the British encyclopedia, or Dictionary of arts and sciences: comprising an accurate and popular view of the present improved state of human knowledge / by William Nicholson. Philadelphia: Mitchell, Ames and White, 1818. url .
- Threatened non-marine molluscs of Europe Council of Europe url p. 123.
- Transactions of the Natural History Society of Northumberland, Durham, and Newcastle-upon-Tyne. Newcastle-upon-Tyne [et al.]F. & W. Dodsworth [et al.]1865/67-1973. url p. 347.
- Transactions of the Zoological Society of London. [London]: Published for the Zoological Society of London by Academic Press url p. 458, p. 61.
- Transactions. Columbus, Ohio [etc.] url p. 144.
- Vertebrata craniata (First fascile: cyclostomes and fishes). London: Adam and Charles Black, 1909. url p. 453.
- Wild life in Wales, by George Bolam. London: F. Palmer,  url p. 25.
- Zoologische Jahrbücher. Abteilung für Anatomie und Ontogenie der Tiere Jena [Germany]:G. Fischer, c -1993. url p. 126, p. 54, p. 550, p. 68.
- Zoologist. London.1843-1916 url p. 106, p. 11, p. 334.
- Zoology of New York, or the New-York fauna: comprising detailed descriptions of all the animals hitherto observed within the state of New York, with brief notices of those occasionally found near its borders, and accompanied by appropriate illu by James De Kay. Albany: Printed by Carroll and Cook, printers to the Assembly [etc.], 1842-44. url p. 55.
- Zoology of New York; or, The New York Fauna; comprising detailed descriptions of all the animals hitherto observed within the state of New York, with brief notices of those occasionally found near its borders, and accompa by James E. De Kay. Albany: W. & A. White & J. Visscher: 1842-44. url p. 55.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 10, 2012.
- Freyhof, J. 2011. Cottus gobio. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloadedon 31January2012.
- IUCN 2012. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. . Downloaded on January 28, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 12, 2007:
- Museum of Comparative Zoology, Harvard University, MCZ Fish Collection
- Royal Ontario Museum, Fish specimens
- UK National Biodiversity Network, Biological Records Centre - Database for the Atlas of Freshwater Fishes
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 124940
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: Fis-29872
- Fishbase Species ID: 2439
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 5341511
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 167255
- IUCN ID: 202327
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 3409
- Adamicka, P. (1984). Neues vom 'argen Laichräuber' (Cottus gobio). Östereichs Fischerei 37:334-336. [back]
- Pinder, A.C. (2001). Keys to larval and juvenile stages of coarse fishes from fresh waters in the British Isles. Freshwater Biological Association. The Ferry House, Far Sawrey, Ambleside, Cumbria, UK. Scientific Publication No. 60. 136 p. [back]
- Mean = 28.810 meters (94.521 feet), Standard Deviation = 43.490 based on 121,095 observations. Altitude information for each observation from British Oceanographic Data Centre. [back]
- Freyhof, J. 2011. Cottus gobio. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloaded on 31 January 2012. [back]