Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Czech:
Common Names in English:
American Crow, Common Crow, Corn Thief, corn-thief, eastern crow, Florida crow, southern crow, western crow
Common Names in French:
Corneille D'am, corneille d'AmÃ©rique, corneille d'Amérique
Common Names in German:
Common Names in Spanish:
The common crow is charcoal black in color.
About 17.5 inches long, with a wingspan of 33 to 40 inches. Adults weigh about 16 ounces .
The Common Crow is an opportunist that has been able to occupy a number of habitats , including coastal areas, towns, fields , and the edge of forests . The Common Crow is found throughout North America except in deserts, deep thickets, and on mountain tops. Its most common habitats are woodlands, farms , fields, river groves, shores and towns.
Vegetation: arid lowland scrubs, pastures and agricultural lands, gallery forests, tropical lowland evergreen forest, second-growth forests and woodlands • Foraging Strata: Canopy • Center of Abundance: Lower subtropical: lowlands, lower than 500 m.; subtropics. • Sensitivity to Disturbance: Low
List of Habitats
- 1 Forest
- 1.6 Forest - Subtropical/Tropical Moist Lowland
- 3 Shrubland
- 3.3 Shrubland - Boreal
- 3.4 Shrubland - Temperate
- 3.5 Shrubland - Subtropical/Tropical Dry
- 4 Grassland
- 4.4 Grassland - Temperate
- 4.5 Grassland - Subtropical/Tropical Dry
- 14 Artificial/Terrestrial
- 14.2 Artificial/Terrestrial - Pastureland
- 14.6 Artificial/Terrestrial - Subtropical/Tropical Heavily Degraded Former Forest [more info]
The crow is omnivorus. Its diet includes wild fruit, snail, salamanders, grain, small birds, mice, eggs , toads, corn, large quantites of insects and carrion . Around coastal areas, crows display behavior similar to that of gulls, taking clams and mussels and dropping them from heights to crack open the shells . They then swoop down to ingest the soft contents. Adult crows eat their weight in food every day, dividing the feedings between eight to ten full meals .
of the common crow takes place on the ground
or in trees
It begins when the male faces
the female and fluffs
its body feathers
Then he partially spreads
and tail and proceeds to bow
repeatedly while uttering a brief rattling song. Once a male and
female have mated, they perch together and may touch bills and preen
each other's feathers.
Common crows also demonstrate cooperative breeding. A breeding pair may have a helper or helpers who aide them in all aspects of nesting. The helpers and the mated pair participate in the parental duties of caring for the offspring.
Both males and females help in the construction of nests , which are frequently placed in heights up to 75 feet; a common location is the tops of trees. If trees are not available, they will build a nest on the ground. The nest is typically twelve inches in diameter and is made of twigs , grasses, and tree bark. Three to seven eggs are laid by the female. The eggs are dull blue-green to grey-green blotched with grey and brown markings. Both parents sit on the eggs for an incubation period of eighteen days. The young are born blind and flesh colored . After about five days, their eyes open for the first time. At five weeks of age the fledglings are ready to make their first flight.
- Nest Location: Mid-story/canopy nesting
- Clutch Size: 3-8
- Length of Incubation : 18 days
- Days to Fledge : 28-35
- Number of Broods: 1, 2 in south
The common crow is a very intelligent, adaptable, and opportunistic . Recent studies by ornithologists show that crows and ravens are among the most intelligent birds, along with other members of the Corvidae. Crows gather in groups from two to eight birds in the summer, while during the winter they gather from many miles in great nocturnal roosts of up to thousands of birds. During the day they fly up to fifty miles away from these roosts in search of food. During feeding, one of two crows can be seen on high perched places serving as a lookout for the rest of the flock. These sentinels watch for signs of danger and warn the rest of the flock. This behavior allows the rest of the flock to forage more efficiently.
The crow's call has varations that allow it to express warning, threats , taunting, and cheer.
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Bateson, 1885
- Cuvier, 1812
- Jawed Vertebrates
- Goodrich, 1930
- Linnaeus, 1758
- Gauthier, 1986
- (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Pycraft, 1900
- Sibley et al., 1988
- Order: Passeriformes () - C. Linnaeus, 1758
- Superorder: Passerimorphae () - Sibley et al., 1988
- Cohort: Neognathae () - Pycraft, 1900
- Infraclass: Aves () - (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Subclass: Avialae () - Gauthier, 1986
- Class: Aves () - Linnaeus, 1758
- Superclass: Tetrapoda () - Goodrich, 1930
- Infraphylum: Gnathostomata () - auct. - Jawed Vertebrates
- Subphylum: Vertebrata () - Cuvier, 1812 - Vertebrates
- Phylum: Chordata () - Bateson, 1885 - Chordates
- Infrakingdom: Chordonia () - (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Deuterostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Corvus brachyrhynchos Brehm, 1822
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 24-Jun-1996
The Common Raven tends to be larger (20-27 inches) than the
Common Crow. The Crow's call is a "caw-caw" or "caa-caa"
sound, while the Raven's call is a varied, deep, guttural croaking,
"wonk-wonk". Crows have fan-shaped tails; Ravens have wedged-shaped
tails. Crows have a steady flapping flight; Ravens may soar.
The Fish Crow tends to be smaller than the Common Crow(17 inches), with a call that sounds like a nasal "kwak" or a nasal two noted "ah-ah."
Members of the genus Corvus
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 65 species and subspecies in this genus:
C. albicollis (White-Naped Raven) · C. albus (Pied Crow) · C. bennetti (Little Crow) · C. boreus (Relict Raven) · C. brachyrhynchos (Southern Crow) · C. brachyrhynchos brachyrhynchos (American Crow) · C. brachyrhynchos paulus (American Crow) · C. capensis (Black Crow) · C. caurinus (North-Western Crow) · C. corax (Southwestern Raven) · C. corax clarionensis (Common Raven) · C. corax corax (Common Raven) · C. corax laurenci (Common Raven) · C. corax principalis (Common Raven) · C. corax sinuatus (Common Raven) · C. corone (Carrion Crow) · C. corone; cornix (Hooded Crow) · C. corone cornix (Hooded Crow) · C. coronoides (Australian Raven) · C. coronoides coronoides (Australian Raven) · C. crassirostris (Thick-Billed Raven) · C. cryptoleucus (White Nacked Ravan) · C. dauuricus (Daurian Jackdaw) · C. edithae (Somali Crow) · C. enca (Slender-Billed Crow) · C. florensis (Flores Crow) · C. frugilegus (Rook) · C. frugilegus frugilegus (Rook) · (Brown-Headed Crow) · C. hawaiiensis (Hawaiian Crow) · C. imparatus (Tamaulipas Crow) · C. jamaicensis (Jamaican Crow) · C. kubaryi (Guam Crow) · C. leucognaphalus (White-Necked Crow) · C. levaillantii (Jungle Crow) · C. macrorhynchos (Large-Billed Crow) · C. macrorhynchos macrorhynchos (Large-Billed Crow) · C. meeki (Bougainville Crow) · C. mellori (Little Raven) · C. minutus (Cuban Palm Crow) · C. monedula (Eurasian Jackdaw) · C. monedula monedula (Eurasian Crow) · C. monedula spermologus (Jackaw) · (New Caledonian Crow) · C. nasicus (Cuban Crow) · C. newtoni (Reunion Cuckoo-Shrike) · C. orru (Australian Crow) · C. orru orru (Australian Crow) · C. ossifragus (Fish Crow) · C. palmarum (Hispaniolan Palm Crow) · C. palmarum palmarum (Hispaniolan Palm Crow) · C. rhipidurus (Fan-Tailed Raven) · C. ruficollis (Brown-Necked Raven) · C. sinaloae (Sinaloan Crow) · C. splendens (Indian House Crow) · C. splendens splendens (Indian House Crow) · C. tasmanicus (Forest Raven) · C. tasmanicus tasmanicus (Forest Raven) · C. torquatus (Collared Crow) · C. tristis (Gray Crow) · C. tropicus (Hawaiian Crow) · C. typicus (Mauritius Cuckoo-Shrike) · C. unicolor (Banggai Crow) · C. validus (Long-Billed Crow) · C. woodfordi (Solomon Islands Crow)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A biological investigation of the Athabaska-Mackenzie region. By Edward A. Preble. .. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1908. url p. 406.
- A biological survey of the sand dune region on the south shore of Saginaw Bay, Michigan. Prepared under the direction of Alexander G. Ruthven. Lansing, Mich.: Wynkoop, Hallenbeck, Crawford co., state printers, 1911. url p. 290, p. 325.
- A check list of Rhode Island nesting birds, with data. [Providence? R.I.], c1908. url p. 17.
- A comparison of the animal communities of coniferous and deciduous forests, Urbana, Ill., c1927 url p. 115, p. 116.
- A faunal investigation of Long Point and vicinity, Norfolk County, Ontario / [Toronto: Royal Ontario Museum of Zoology], 1931. url p. 191.
- A faunal investigation of Prince Edward County, Ontario / Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 1941. url p. 70.
- A faunal investigation of the Sault Ste. Marie region, Ontario / [Toronto]: Royal Ontario Museum, 1942. url p. 137.
- A faunal investigation of western Rainy River District, Ontario / [Toronto: Royal Ontario Museum of Zoology], 1938. url p. 198.
- A geographic classification of Neotropical mammals. 36 1958 [Chicago]Chicago Natural History Museum, 1958. url p. 626.
- A guide to the birds of New England and eastern New York; containing a key for each season and short descriptions of over two hundred and fifty species, with particular reference to their appearance in the field. Boston, Houghton, Mifflin and Company, 1904. url .
- A history of the birds of Colorado, London, Witherby & Co., 1912. url .
- A history of the birds of Europe: including all the species inhabiting the western palaearctic region / London: Published by the Author, 1871-1881. url p. 559.
- A preliminary catalog of the birds of Missouri / St. Louis: Academy of Science of St. Louis, 1907. url .
- A preliminary review of the birds of Nebraska, with synopses, Omaha, 1904 url , .
- A study of the incubation periods of birds; what determines their lengths, Denver, Col., The Kendrick-Bellamy Co., 1917. url .
- A survey of natural areas in Tyrrell County, North Carolina: for The North Carolina Natural Heritage Program, Coastal Natural Area Inventory Project / Raleigh: North Carolina Coastal Energy Impact Program, Office of Coastal Management, North Carolina Dept. of Natural Resources and Community Development, [1982?] url p. 13.
- Abstract of the proceedings of the Linnaean Society of New York. [New York]: The Society, [1889-1932]. url p. 129, p. 69, p. 77.
- An ecological characterization of Coastal Maine (north and east of Cape Elizabeth) / Stewart I. Fefer and Patricia S. Schettig: principal investigators. Newton Corner, Mass.: Department of the Interior, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Northeast Region, 1980. url .
- An ecological survey in northern Michigan. Prepared under the direction of Chas. C. Adams. A report from the University museum, University of Michigan, published by the state Board of geological survey as a part of the report for 1905. Lansing, Mich., Wynkoop Hallenbeck Crawford co., state printers, 1906. url p. 116, p. 116, p. 124.
- Annals of the Carnegie Museum. [Pittsburgh]: Published by authority of the Board of Trustees of the Carnegie Institute, 1901- url p. 565.
- Annotated list of the Avery bird collection in the Alabama museum of natural history (Geological survey museum) University, Ala., 1921. url , .
- Annual report / Albany: University of the State of New York, 1902-1918. url p. 104, p. 108, p. 126, p. 214, p. 85, p. 93.
- Annual report Missouri Botanical Garden. 20 1909 St. Louis: Board of Trustees, 1890-1912. url p. 176, p. 52.
- Annual report of the Board of Regents of the Smithsonian Institution. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, -1965. url p. 101, p. 105, p. 107, p. 110, p. 113, p. 122, p. 124, p. 141, p. 151, p. 153, p. 154, p. 155, p. 158, p. 170, p. 360, p. 70, p. 88, p. 91, p. 96, p. 98.
- Annual report of the Massachusetts State Board of Agriculture. Boston: Wright & Potter Printing Co., state printers, 1916-1918. url p. 93.
- Annual report of the New Jersey State Museum. Trenton, N.J.: MacCrellish & Quigley, url p. 205.
- Bio-ecology, by Frederic E. Clements. .. and Victor E. Shelford. .. New York, J. Wiley & Sons, inc.;1939. url p. 212.
- Biology and conservation of the common murre in California, Oregon, Washington, and British Columbia / editors, David A. Manuwal. .. [et al.]. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Dept. of the Interior, U.S. Geological Survey, - url p. 15.
- Bird blow flies (Protocalliphora) in North America (Diptera: Calliphoridae), with notes on the Palearctic species / Curtis W. Sabrosky, Gordon F. Bennett, and Terry L. Whitworth. Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Press, c1989. url p. 232.
- Bird guide: land birds east of the Rockies from parrots to bluebirds / by Chester A. Reed. Garden City, N.Y.: Doubleday, Page, 1916, c1909. url p. 59, p. 59.
- Bird lore. New York City: Macmillan Co., c1899-c1940. url p. 100.
- Bird-lore. New York, National Association of Audubon Societies. url p. 100, p. 100.
- Birds of Arkansas. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1911. url , .
- Birds of Labrador / Boston: Boston Society of Natural History, 1907. url .
- Birds of Labrador / by Charles W. Townsend and Glover M. Allen. Boston: Printed for the Society, 1907. url p. 388.
- Birds of New York / Albany: University of the State of New York, 1914. url .
- Birds of New York / by Elon Howard Eaton. Albany: University of the State of New York, 1910-1914. url p. 214, p. 214.
- Birds of New York Albany, University of the State of New York, 1910-14 url p. 214.
- Birds of New York, Albany, University of the State of New York, 1910-14. url .
- Birds of South Carolina, Charleston, S.C., [The Daggett Printing Co.]1910. url , .
- Birds of South Carolina, by Arthur Trezevant Wayne. With an introduction by the editor. Charleston, S.C., [The Daggett Printing Co.]1910. url p. 105, p. 246.
- Birds of eastern Canada / Ottawa: F.A. Acland, 1922. url .
- Birds of eastern Canada / by P. A. Taverner. Ottawa: Acland, 1922. url p. 163, p. 163.
- Birds of eastern Canada / by P.A. Taverner. Ottawa: Canada Dept. of Mines, Geological Survey, 1919. url p. 156, p. 277.
- Birds of eastern Canada, by P. A. Taverner. Ottawa, J. de L. Tache?, printer, 1919. url p. 156, p. 277.
- Birds of eastern Canada, by P.A. Taverner. Ottawa, J. de L. Taché, Printer, 1919. url p. 156, p. 277.
- Birds of the Boston Public Garden, a study in migration, Boston and New York, Houghton Mifflin co., 1909. url p. 232, p. 83.
- Birds of the Boston Public Garden: a study in migration / by Horace Winslow Wright; with an introduction by Bradford Torrey and illustrations. Boston: Houghton Mifflin Co., 1909. url p. 232, p. 232, p. 232, p. 83, p. 83.
- Birds of the Boston Public garden, a study in migration, by Horace Winslow Wright; with an introduction by Bradford Torrey and illustrations. Boston and New York, Houghton Mifflin co., 1909. url p. 232, p. 83.
- Birds of the Kansas City region [by] Harry Harris. [St. Louis, Mo.]1919 url p. 283.
- Birds of the New York city region, by Ludlow Griscom, assistant curator of ornithology, with the cooperation of the Linnæan society of New York. .. New York, The Museum, 1923. url p. 242, p. 391.
- Birds of the Pacific coast, including a brief account of the distribution and habitat of one hundred and eighteen birds that are more or less common to the Pacific coast states and British Columbia, many of which are found east by Willard Ayres Eliot; with fifty-six color plates, by R. Bruce Horsfall. 1923 New York, G. P. Putnam's sons, 1923. url p. 191.
- Birds of the Papago Saguaro National Monument and the neighboring region, Arizona, by H. S. Swarth. Contribution from the Museum of Vertebrate Zoology of the University of California. Washington, D.C.: Govt. Print. Off., 1920. url p. 60.
- Birds of the vicinity of the University of Indiana, by W. L. McAtee. [Indianapolis, Ind.]1905. url p. 100.
- Birds of the world; a popular account. With a chapter on the anatomy of birds, by Frederic A. Lucas; the whole edited by Robert Ridgway. New York, Holt, 1909. url p. 853.
- Birds the world over, as shown in habitat groups in Chicago Natural History Museum [by] Austin L. Rand, curator, Division of Birds, and Emmet R. Blake, associate curator, Division of Birds. [Chicago]1954. url p. 23.
- Birds; a miscellaneous collection of 37 pamphlets about birds. Collected and privately bound by Alvin Seale, 1914. v.p., 1910-1913 url p. 42.
- Breeding-bird populations in the jack pine and mixed jack pine/deciduous stands in central Ontario / Toronto: Royal Ontario Museum, c1995. url p. 19.
- Brigham Young University science bulletin. 1 1960 Provo, Utah: Brigham Young University, [1955-1976] url p. 4, p. 47.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url , , p. 115, p. 132, p. 1817, p. 258, p. 260, p. 326, p. 328, p. 39, p. 402, p. 403, p. 474, p. 483, p. 487, p. 491, p. 544, p. 61, p. 746, p. 829.
- Bulletin / Illinois Natural History Survey. Urbana, State of Illinois, Dept. of Registration and Education, Natural History Survey Division, 1918-1985. url p. 457, p. 585.
- Bulletin / Peabody Museum of Natural History. 1972 New Haven: Peabody Museum of Natural History, url p. 101, p. 12, p. 134, p. 134, p. 184, p. 184, p. 204, p. 91, p. 91.
- Bulletin / Smithsonian Institution, Bureau of American Ethnology. Washington: G.P.O., 1901-1971. url p. 100, p. 98.
- Bulletin / State Geological and Natural History Survey of Connecticut. [Hartford]: The Survey, 1904- url p. 362.
- Bulletin / U.S. Department of Agriculture, Bureau of Entomology. Washington: G.P.O., 1904-1916. url p. 129, p. 139, p. 151, p. 151, p. 152, p. 152, p. 178.
- Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History). London: BM(NH) url p. 242, p. 243.
- Bulletin of the Illinois State Laboratory of Natural History. Bloomington, Ill.: The Laboratory, 1876-1918. url p. 331, p. 395, p. 395, p. 395, p. 567, p. 586, p. 586.
- Bulletin of the Museum of Comparative Zoology at Harvard College. 103 1950 Cambridge, Mass.: The Museum, 1863- url p. 366, p. 555, p. 593.
- Bulletin of the Southern California Academy of Sciences Los Angeles, Calif.: The Academy, 1971- url p. 5.
- Bulletin of the U.S. Department of Agriculture. [Washington, D.C.?]: Supt. of Docs., G.P.O., 1913-1923. url , p. 17, p. 17, p. 26, p. 26, p. 32.
- California fish and game. [San Francisco, etc.]: State of California, Resources Agency, Dept. of Fish and Game. url p. 127, p. 313, p. 323, p. 85.
- Cassinia. Philadelphia: Delaware Valley Ornithological Club, 1901- url p. 15, p. 33, p. 35, p. 39, p. 41, p. 44, p. 48, p. 52, p. 57, p. 58, p. 62, p. 65, p. 71, p. 73, p. 79, p. 83, p. 83, p. 87.
- Catalogue of British Columbia birds. Victoria, B. C., Printed by R. Wolfenden, 1904. url .
- Catalogue of birds of the Americas and the adjacent islands in Field Museum of Natural History. by Charles E. Hellmayr. 13 1934 Chicago: Field Museum of Natural History, 1934. url p. 3.
- Catalogue of the collection of birds' eggs in the British museum (Natural history). London: Printed by order of the Trustees, 1901-12. url p. 471.
- Check list of the vertebrates of Ontario and catalogue of specimens in the biological section of the Provincial museum. Birds. Toronto, L. K. Cameron, printer to the king's most excellent Majesty, 1905. url p. 56.
- Check-list and bibliography on the occurrence of insects in birds' nests. Ames, Iowa State College Press url p. 172, p. 186, p. 230, p. 263, p. 280, p. 281, p. 312, p. 421, p. 48, p. 86.
- Check-list of North American birds / prepared by a committee of the American ornithologists' union. Lancaster, Pa.: The Union, 1931. url p. 226, p. 467, p. 487.
- Check-list of North American birds, New York, American ornithologists' union, 1910. url , , .
- Check-list of North American birds. [Ithaca, N.Y.]1957. url p. 378, p. 379, p. 661, p. 671, p. 679.
- Check-list of North American birds: the species of birds of North America from the Arctic through Panama, including the West Indies and Hawaiian Islands / prepared by the Committee on Classification and Nomenclature of the American Orni Lawrence, Kan.: American Ornithologists' Union, 1983. url p. 509, p. 804.
- Check-list of birds of the world. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1931-1987. url p. 269.
- Contributions to avian palaeontology from the Pacific coast of North America, by Loye Holmes Miller. Berkeley: University of California Press, 1912. url p. 114, p. 71, p. 78, p. 78, p. 84, p. 84.
- Copeia. [New York, N.Y., etc.]: American Society of Ichthyologists and Herpetologists. url .
- Ecology and conservation of the marbled murrelet / [technical editors, C. John Ralph. .. et al.]. Albany, Calif.: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Southwest Research Station,  url p. 93.
- Entomological news, and proceedings of the Entomological Section of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia[Entomological Rooms of the Academy of Natural Sciences] url p. 90.
- Entomological news. [Philadelphia]American Entomological Society, 1925- url p. 160.
- Experiment station record. Washington: G.P.O., 1889-1946. url p. 174, p. 851.
- FWS/0BS. [Washington]Fish and Wildlife Service, U.S. Dept. of the Interior. url , p. 139, p. 79.
- Fauna of New England, 11: list of the aves / by Glover M. Allen. Boston: Society of Natural History, 1909. url p. 7.
- Fauna of New England. List of the Araneida. Boston, For Society, 1908. url p. 7.
- Final environmental impact statement: proposed estuarine sanctuary grant award for Apalachicola Bay and lower Apalachicola River, Franklin County, Florida to State of Florida / Washington, D.C.: Office of Coastal Zone Management, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, 1979. url .
- Fishery circular / U.S. Department of Commerce, Bureau of Fisheries. [Washington]: The Bureau, 1931-1939. url p. 88.
- Fleas, flukes & cuckoos; a study of bird parasites, by Miriam Rothschild and Theresa Clay. New York, Macmillan, 1957. url p. 194.
- Forestry quarterly. Ithaca N.Y. [etc.] url p. 72, p. 73, p. 73.
- General function of the gall bladder from the evolutionary standpoint, by Frank W. Gorham and Andrew Conway Ivy. 22 1938 Chicago, 1938. url p. 186.
- Gleanings from nature / J. Warren Jacobs. Waynesburg, Pa.: Independent Book & Job Office, 1898- url p. 6.
- Great Basin naturalist memoirs. 1981 [Provo, Utah]Brigham Young University, 1976-1992. url p. 159, p. 190, p. 207, p. 214, p. 216, p. 219.
- Homing with the birds; the history of a lifetime of personal experience with the birds, by Gene Stratton-Porter. Garden City, New York, Doubleday, Page & Company, 1919. url p. 377.
- Illinois River Bluffs area assessment / Illinois Department of Natural Resources, Office of Scientific Research and Analysis, [and the] State Geological Survey Division. Springfield, Ill.: Illinois Dept. of Natural Resources, 1998- url p. 77.
- Illinois birds, Corvidae / Jean W. Graber, Richard R. Graber, and Ethelyn L. Kirk. Champaign, Ill.: State of Illinois, Dept. of Energy and Natural Resources, Natural History Survey Division,  url p. 17.
- Invitation to birds; a few of the common birds of Illinois, an invitation to know and enjoy them. Illus. by the author. Springfield, 1948. url p. 63.
- Journal of the Kentucky Academy of Science. Lexington, KY: The Academy, 1998- url p. 159, p. 170, p. 178, p. 187, p. 21, p. 23.
- Journal of the Washington Academy of Sciences. Washington [etc., Washington Academy of Sciences] url p. 498.
- Joy of nature: how to observe and appreciate the great outdoors / [editor, Alma E. Guinness]. Pleasantville, N.Y.: Reader's Digest Association, c1977. url p. 326.
- Lake Maxinkuckee. A physical and biological survey by Barton Warren Evermann...and Howard Walton Clark... [Indianapolis, Wm. B. Burford, printer]1920. url p. 552, p. 648.
- Lake Maxinkuckee: a physical and biological survey / by Barton Warren Evermann and Howard Walton Clark. Indianapolis: Dept. of Conservation, 1920. url p. 552, p. 648.
- List of the birds of the New Haven Region / compiled by committee of Freeman F. Burr. .. [et al.]; advisory committee, Louis B. Bishop. New Haven, Conn: New Haven Bird Club:  url p. 19.
- Memoirs of the California Academy of Sciences. San Francisco: The Academy, 1868- url p. 80.
- Memoirs of the Nuttall Ornithological Club. Cambridge, Mass.: The Club, 1886- url p. 237, p. 238, p. 337.
- Memoirs of the San Diego Society of Natural History. 13 1984 San Diego, Calif.: The Society, 1931-1989. url maps 61-62, page 146, p. xvii.
- Michigan bird life, a list of all the bird species known to occur in the state together with an outline of their classification and an account of the life history of each species, wtih special reference to its relation t [Lansing]Michigan Agricultural College, 1912. url .
- Michigan bird life: a list of all the bird species known to occur in the State together with an outline of their classification and an account of the life history of each species, with special reference to its relation t by Walter Bradford Barrows. Lansing: Michigan Agricultural College, 1912. url p. 420.
- Migration of birds. by Frederick C. Linclon; revised by Steven R. Peterson; associate editor Peter A. Anastasi; illustrated by Bob Hines. Washington: Dept. of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service: for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off., 1979. url p. 115.
- Miscellaneous publication - University of Kansas, Museum of Natural History. 1965 Lawrence: University of Kansas, 1946-1996. url p. 38, p. 40, p. 51.
- Miscellaneous publications / University of Michigan, Museum of Zoology. Ann Arbor, Mich.: The University, 1916- url p. 55.
- Museum bulletin / Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1908-1916. url p. 108, p. 126, p. 93.
- Museum paper / Alabama Museum of Natural History. University, Ala.: Alabama Museum of Natural History, 1910-1960. url p. 70.
- Museum paper. University, Ala. [etc.]1910- url p. 70.
- Natural history. New York: American Museum of Natural History. url p. 163.
- Nature. London, Macmillan. url p. 152.
- New York State Museum bulletin. Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1916-1944. url p. 85.
- North American fauna. Washington: Fish and Wildlife Service; for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U. S. Govt. Print. Off. url p. 110, p. 220, p. 392, p. 392, p. 47, p. 9.
- Occasional papers of the Museum of Zoology, University of Michigan. Ann Arbor, Mich.: University of Michigan, 1913- url p. 2, p. 5.
- P.D. Skaar's Montana bird distribution / revised by the Montana Bird Distribution Committee. [Helena, MT]:Montana Natural Heritage Program, 1996 url p. 77.
- Pesticides monitoring journal. [Washington, D.C.: For sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. G.P.O., 1967-1981. url p. 4.
- Photoperiodism and related phenomena in plants and animals; proceedings, edited by Robert B. Withrow, with the cooperation of Arthur C. Giese [and others]. Washington, 1959. url p. 679, p. 748, p. 880.
- Point Lobos Reseerve; State Park, California. Interpretation of a primitive landscape. Sacramento, [State Print. Off., 1954] url p. 96.
- Postilla. 1999 New Haven, Conn.: Peabody Museum of Natural History, [1950?]-c2004. url p. 2, p. 29.
- Potential wildlife-highway interactions at select mile-markers along Montana Department of Transportation routes an ArcView GIS analysis / Bozeman, Mont.: Fish and Wildlife Management Program, Montana State University, 2001 url .
- Principles of animal ecology, by W. C. Allee [and others] Philadelphia, Saunders Co., 1949. url p. 785.
- Proceedings - California Academy of Sciences, 4th series. San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences. url p. 413.
- Proceedings of the American Philosophical Society held at Philadelphia for promoting useful knowledge. Philadelphia: American Philosophical Society url p. 433.
- Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington. Washington, Biological Society of Washington url p. 121, p. 125, p. 200, p. 202, p. 218, p. 222, p. 234.
- Proceedings of the California Academy of Sciences, 4th series. San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences. url , p. 413, p. 506, p. 778.
- Proceedings of the Nebraska Ornithologists' Union. Lincoln, [1900-15] url p. 28.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 187, p. 205, p. 206, p. 415, p. 503, p. 545, p. 546, p. 560, p. 573, p. 589, p. 593, p. 598, p. 600, p. 617, p. 620, p. 63.
- Proposed estuarine sanctuary grant award to the state of New York for a Hudson River estuarine sanctuary. Albany, N.Y.: New York, Dept. of Environmental Conservation,  url p. 123.
- Publication. Field Museum of Natural History. Chicago, U.S.A.: The Museum, 1910-1943. url , , p. 548.
- Publications in zoology = Publications en zoologie. Ottawa: National Museums of Canada, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1970-1982. url p. 13, p. 13, p. 14.
- Report of the Secretary of the Smithsonian Institution and financial report of the Executive Committee of the Board of Regents for the year ending June 30. .. Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution, 1933-1965. url p. 107, p. 109, p. 110, p. 122, p. 124, p. 141, p. 151, p. 153, p. 154, p. 155, p. 158, p. 170, p. 74, p. 86, p. 98.
- Report on the progress and condition of the U.S. National Museum for the year ending June 30. .. / Smithsonian Institution, United States National Museum. Washington: G.P.O., 1907-1951. url p. 154, p. 172.
- Roosevelt wild life bulletin. .. of the Roosevelt Life Forest Experiment Station of the New York College of Forestry at Syracuse University. Syracuse, N.Y.: The University, c1922- url p. 346.
- Significance of white markings in birds of the order Passeriformes. By Henry Chester Tracy. Berkeley, The University press(1910). url p. 300.
- Slides and photographs. Albany, N.Y., 1920. url .
- Smithsonian miscellaneous collections. 85 1933 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1862-1968. url p. 40, p. 7, p. 72, p. 92.
- Social feeding behavior of birds. 36 1954 [Chicago]Chicago Natural History Museum, 1954. url p. 35.
- Special scientific report--wildlife / U.S. Department of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service. Washington, D.C.: The Service, 1949- url p. 17, p. 2, p. 279, p. 281, p. 390, p. 4, p. 552, p. 569, p. 594.
- Studies on the avian species of the cestode family Hymenolepididae, Urbana, Ill., c1925 url p. 62, p. 77.
- Supplement to the code of nomenclature and check-list of North American birds. adopted by the American Ornithologists' Union; prepared by a Committee of the Union. New York: The Union, 1889-1920. url p. 413.
- Syllogeus. Ottawa, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1972-1995. url p. 13.
- The American midland naturalist. Notre Dame, Ind., University of Notre Dame. url p. 107, p. 147, p. 234.
- The Auk. Washington, D.C.: American Ornithologists' Union, etc., 1884- url , , , p. 109, p. 112, p. 13, p. 133, p. 139, p. 142, p. 145, p. 147, p. 149, p. 15, p. 173, p. 175, p. 19, p. 199, p. 200, p. 200, p. 201, p. 202, p. 212, p. 22, p. 229, p. 234, p. 248, p. 252, p. 26, p. 275, p. 28, p. 283, p. 284, p. 297, p. 302, p. 319, p. 35, p. 368, p. 383, p. 396, p. 399, p. 413, p. 419, p. 433, p. 434, p. 447, p. 45, p. 457, p. 462, p. 466, p. 478, p. 49, p. 497, p. 506, p. 51, p. 573, p. 581, p. 593, p. 60, p. 68, p. 69, p. 71, p. 78, p. 84.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. 35 1921 Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url , lewis , howitt , ulke , title page, index , , , , p. 110, p. 112, p. 112, p. 112, p. 114, p. 117, p. 125, p. 127, p. 128, p. 137, p. 14, p. 142, p. 142, p. 144, p. 148, p. 151, p. 159, p. 163, p. 163, p. 164, p. 164, p. 168, p. 168, p. 169, p. 17, p. 173, p. 176, p. 178, p. 179, p. 180, p. 180, p. 181, p. 181, p. 184, p. 185, p. 187, p. 187, p. 193, p. 196, p. 197, p. 207, p. 211, p. 211, p. 214, p. 214, p. 220, p. 224, p. 226, p. 227, p. 234, p. 234, p. 240, p. 241, p. 246, p. 248, p. 248, p. 265, p. 265, p. 270, p. 273, p. 273, p. 276, p. 276, p. 279, p. 28, p. 29, p. 30, p. 303, p. 31, p. 318, p. 319, p. 326, p. 331, p. 346, p. 35, p. 352, p. 353, p. 372, p. 372, p. 376, p. 388, p. 4, p. 42, p. 420, p. 421, p. 425, p. 428, p. 43, p. 439, p. 443, p. 453, p. 455, p. 462, p. 471, p. 473, p. 476, p. 48, p. 483, p. 483, p. 492, p. 497, p. 5, p. 50, p. 518, p. 54, p. 56, p. 560, p. 561, p. 571, p. 575, p. 576, p. 58, p. 58, p. 580, p. 591, p. 608, p. 616, p. 616, p. 617, p. 620, p. 625, p. 629, p. 641, p. 65, p. 65, p. 656, p. 67, p. 678, p. 68, p. 68, p. 687, p. 69, p. 70, p. 70, p. 703, p. 71, p. 722, p. 722, p. 731, p. 732, p. 77, p. 8, p. 82, p. 83, p. 83, p. 84, p. 92, p. 92, p. 93, p. 96, p. 99, p. iii.
- The Entomologist's record and journal of variation. s.l., s.n. url p. 280.
- The Great Basin naturalist. 45 1985 Provo, Utah: M.L. Bean Life Science Museum, Brigham Young University, 1939-1999. url white & tanner-white, page 150, p. 271, p. 283, p. 47, p. 482, p. 522, p. 603, p. 607, white & tanner-white, page 64, p. 653, p. 722, p. 734.
- The Journal of the Maine Ornithological Society. Bangor: Maine Ornithological Society, 1899-1911. url p. 97.
- The Journal of the Museum of Comparative Oology. Santa Barbara, Calif.: The Museum, 1919-1922 url p. 34.
- The National geographic magazine. Washington: National Geographic Society, 1888-1959. url p. 686.
- The Oo?logist for the student of birds, their nests and eggs. Albion, N.Y.: Frank H. Lattin, 1886- url p. 115, p. 120, p. 137, p. 195, p. 84.
- The Ottawa naturalist. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 198, p. 230, p. 43.
- The Review of applied entomology. Farnham Royal, Eng. [etc.]: Commonwealth Agricultural Bureaux [etc.] url p. 115, p. 202.
- The University of Colorado studies. Boulder, University of Colorado. url p. 233.
- The University of Kansas science bulletin. 37 1956 [Lawrence]: University of Kansas, 1902-1996. url p. 1279, p. 1335, p. 1336, p. 1370, p. 558.
- The Warbler. Floral Park: Mayflower Pub. Co., [1903-1913] url p. 88.
- The Wilson bulletin. Columbus, Ohio: Wilson Ornithological Society, 1894- url p. 118, p. 125, p. 206, p. 39, p. 50, p. 54, p. 66, p. 85, p. 86, p. 98, p. 98.
- The birds of Africa, comprising all the species which occur in the Ethiopian region, by G.E. Shelley. .. London, Published for the author by R.H. Porter (18 Princes Street, Cavendish Square, W.), 1896-1912. url p. 141.
- The birds of Connecticut, Hartford, Printed for the State Geological and Natural History Survey, 1913. url .
- The birds of Connecticut, by John Hall Sage and Louis Bennett Bishop, assisted by Walter Parks Bliss. Hartford: Printed for the State Geological and Natural History Survey, 1913. url p. 293, p. 362, p. 362.
- The birds of El Paso County, Colorado / Colorado Springs: Published by the authority of the Board of Trustees of Colorado College, 1914 url .
- The birds of Erie and Presque Isle, Erie County, Pennsylvania / Pittsburgh?: s.l., 1904? url , .
- The birds of Essex County, Massachusetts. By Charles Wendell Townsend, M.D. Cambridge, Mass.: The Club, 1905. url p. 238, p. 337.
- The birds of Illinois and Wisconsin / by Charles B. Cory. Chicago: Field Museum of Natural History, 1909. url p. 178, p. 548.
- The birds of New Jersey / by Witmer Stone. Trenton: J.L. Murphy Pub. Co., 1909. url p. 205.
- The birds of North and Middle America: a descriptive catalogue of the higher groups, genera, species, and subspecies of birds known to occur in North America, from the Arctic lands to the Isthmus of Panama, the West Indies and other island Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1901- url .
- The birds of Texas; an annotated check list, Waco, Tex., The University, 1912. url .
- The birds of Washington; a complete, scientific and popular account of the 372 species of birds found in the state, by William Leon Dawson, assisted by John Hooper Bowles. Illustrated by more than 300 original half-tones of birds in life, nests, eggs, and favorite haunts, from photographs by the author and others, Seattle: The Occidental Pub. Co., 1909. url p. 13.
- The birds of the Cambridge region of Massachusetts. Cambridge, Mass., The Club, 1906. url .
- The birds of the Chicago area, by Frank Morley Woodruff. .. [Chicago, Printed by Jennings and Graham]1907. url p. 122.
- The birds of the Lake St. Martin region, Manitoba / [Toronto: Royal Ontario Museum of Zoology], 1937. url p. 35.
- The birds of the Red Deer River, Alberta. n.p., n.d. url p. 252.
- The birds of the vicinity of Lake Nipissing, Ontario / [Toronto: Royal Ontario Museum], 1939. url p. 15.
- The book of birds, common birds of town and country and American game birds, Washington, D. C., National Geographic Society, 1918. url .
- The book of birds: common birds of town and country and American game birds / Washington, D. C.: National Geographic Society, c1921. url .
- The book of birds; common birds of town and country and American game birds, by Henry W. Henshaw; illustrated in natural colors with 250 paintings by Louis Agassiz Fuertes. Washington, D.C., National geographic society url p. 59.
- The book of woodcraft and Indian lore. Garden City, N.Y.Doubleday, Page, 1912. url p. 345.
- The book of woodcraft. .. New York, The Sun dial press, inc. url p. 261.
- The crow in its relation to agriculture: Is it a farm pest? / E.R. Kalmbach. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, 1920. url p. 4.
- The effect of altered streamflow on migratory birds of the Yellowstone River Basin, Montana / by Tom Hinz. Helena: Water Resources Division, Montana Dept. of Natural Resources & Conservation, 1977. url p. 102.
- The natural history of the Toronto region, Ontario, Canada / edited by J.H. Faull. Toronto: Canadian Institute, 1913. url p. 227.
- The oist. Albion, N.Y.: Frank H. Lattin, 1886-1941. url p. 120, p. 195, p. 84.
- The ruffed grouse; life history, propagation, management, by Gardiner Bump [and others] With 4 paintings in full color by Fred. Everett and 127 sketches by Clayton B. Seagears and Fred. Everett. [Albany?]1947. url p. 333.
- The sport of bird-study / by Herbert Keightley Job; profusely illustrated with photographs from life by the author. New York: Macmillan, 1922, c1908. url p. 301.
- The summer birds of Yakutat Bay, Alaska / [Toronto: Royal Ontario Museum of Zoology], 1939. url p. 24.
- The summer birds of the northeast shore of Lake Superior, Ontario / [Toronto]: Printed by the University of Toronto Press, 1943. url p. 15.
- The vertebrates of the Cayuga Lake basin, N. Y., n.p., 1909? url .
- Transactions of the Academy of Science of St. Louis. [St. Louis: Academy of Science of St. Louis], 1860-1958. url p. 147.
- Transactions of the Kentucky Academy of Science. [Lexington, Ky.]Kentucky Academy of Science, 1923-1997. url p. 103, p. 167, p. 25, p. 54.
- Travels and traditions of waterfowl. Minneapolis, University of Minnesota Press url p. 287.
- Tulane studies in zoology and botany. 22 1980 New Orleans: Tulane University, [1968- url p. 43.
- University of California publications in zoology. Berkeley: University Press, 1906- url p. 198, p. 300, p. 419, p. 439, p. 472.
- University of Kansas publications, Museum of Natural History. 9 Lawrence, University of Kansas. url , , , , , , , , , , , , , , p. 173, p. 238, p. 336, p. 477, p. 479, p. 50, p. 580, p. 603, fig. 7, page 630, p. 650, p. 678, p. 684, p. 748.
- Vertebrates of Ontario, by C. W. Nash. Department of Education, Toronto. Printed by order of the Legislative Assembly of Ontario Toronto, L. K. Cameron, 1908 url p. 56.
- Vertebrates of Ontario. TorontoPrint. by order of the Legislative Assembly of Ontario by L.K. Cameron1908 url p. 56.
- Washington State Coastal Zone Management Program amendment no. 3: approval of the Grays Harbor estuary management plan: program draft environmental impact statement. [Olympia, Wash.?]: Grays Harbor Regional Planning Commission; 1983. url p. 17, p. 8.
- What bird is that? A pocket museum of the land birds of the eastern United States, arranged according to season. New York, D. Appleton[c1920] url .
- Wild birds in city parks; being hints on identifying 200 birds, prepared primarily for the spring migration in Lincoln Park, Chicago, but adapted to other localities, by Herbert Eugene Walter and Alice Hall Walter. [St. Johnsbury, Vt., Press of the St. Johnsbury republican co.]1910. url p. 33.
- Wild life in Canada / by Angus Buchanan; with numerous photographs by the author. Toronto: McClelland, Goodchild and Stewart, 1920. url p. 248.
- Wild life in Canada, by Captain Angus Buchanan. .. with numerous photographs by the author. New York: F. A. Stokes, 1920. url p. 248.
- Wildbirds of New York / by Chester A. Reed. Mohonk Lake, N.Y.: Mohonk Salesrooms, c1912. url p. 50.
- Year book - Carnegie Institution of Washington. Washington, Carnegie Institution of Washington url p. 199.
- Yosemite nature notes. [Yosemite National Park, Calif.: Yosemite Natural History Association url p. 115.
- [Collected reprints, 1902-1928. s.l., s.n.19--] url , , .
- [Collected reprints, 1911-1931. s.l., s.n., 19--] url .
- BirdLife International 2009. Corvus brachyrhynchos. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloadedon 31January2012.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed April 30, 2012.
- IUCN 2012. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. . Downloaded on January 28, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal March 04, 2008:
- Avian Knowledge Network: eBird
- Avian Knowledge Network: Great Backyard Bird Count
- Avian Knowledge Network: Project FeederWatch
- Bird Studies Canada: Marsh Monitoring Program - Birds
- Bird Studies Canada: Ontario Breeding Bird Atlas 1981-1985
- Bird Studies Canada: Ontario Breeding Bird Atlas 2001-2005
- Borror Laboratory of Bioacoustics
- Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility: North West Territories and Nunavut Bird Checklist, Canada
- Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility: Provincial Museum of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada. Birds (Aves)
- Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility: Royal British Columbia Museum
- Canadian Museum of Nature: Canadian Museum of Nature Bird Collection
- Cornell University Museum of Vertebrates: Bird Collection
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: Bay of Fundy Species List (OBIS Canada)
- Museum of Comparative Zoology, Harvard University: MCZ Ornithology Collection
- Museum of Vertebrate Zoology: Terrestrial vertebrate specimens
- New Brunswick Museum: NBM birds
- Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History: Santa Barbara Musem of Natural History
- University of Colorado Museum: Zoological specimens
- University of Michigan Museum of Zoology (UMMZ): Bird specimens
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 4014
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-179732
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 14375937
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 179731
- IUCN ID: 202163
- Natural Heritage Network Species Identifier: ABPAV10010
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 21