Database status: valid : genus type
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 1,840 meters (0 to 6,037 feet).
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- A.M.A. Aguinaldo et al., 1997 ex T. Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Latreille, 1829
- Snodgrass, 1938
- Heymons, 1901
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- Suborder: Polyphaga () - Emery, 1886 - a genus of Blister Beetles (Meloidae)
- Order: Coleoptera () - C. Linnaeus, 1758
- Infraclass: Pterygota ()
- Subclass: Dicondylia ()
- Epiclass: Hexapoda ()
- Superclass: Panhexapoda ()
- Infraphylum: Atelocerata () - Heymons, 1901
- Subphylum: Mandibulata () - Snodgrass, 1938
- Phylum: Arthropoda () - Latreille, 1829 - Arthropods
- Superphylum: Panarthropoda () - Cuvier
- Infrakingdom: Ecdysozoa () - A.M.A. Aguinaldo et al., 1997 ex T. Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Protostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Copris belisama Schrank • Copris castaneus Mulsant • Copris corniculatus Mulsant • Copris deletus Mulsant • Copris gistelianus Gistel • Copris jenisonianus Gistel • Copris obliteratus Mulsant • Scarabaeus bifidus Poda • Scarabaeus emarginatus Olivier • Scarabaeus lunaris Linnaeus • Scarabaeus lunus Schrank • Scarabaeus quadridentatus Degeer
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: Dec-2009
Members of the genus Copris
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 2 species and subspecies in this genus:
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A Manual of entomology, / tr. from the German of Dr. Herman Burmeister by W. E. Shuckard, with additions by the author, and original notes and plates by the translator. London: E. Churchton, 1836. url p. 467, p. 516, p. 635, p. 644.
- A stratigraphical list of British fossils; arranged under the principal division of the British strata, with a few elementary remarks on their character and localities. LondonSociety for Promoting Christian Knowledge1847 url .
- A survey and record of Woolwich and West Kent containing descriptions and records, brought up-to-date, of geology, botany, zoology, archaeology and industries of the district, with a brief photographic commentary, in commemoration of the 12th Ann General editors, C.H. Grinling, T.A. Ingram [and] B.C. Polkinghorne. Woolwich: Labour Representation Print. Co., 1909. url p. 310.
- A systematic catalogue of British insects: being an attempt to arrange all the hitherto discovered indigenous insects in accordance with their natural affinities. London: Baldwin and Cradock, 1829. url p. 410.
- An introduction to entomology, or, Elements of the natural history of insects: comprising an account of noxious and useful insects, of their metamorphoses, food, stratagems, habitations, societies, motions, noises, hybernation, instinct, etc., etc. / by William Kirby and William Spence. London: Longman, Brown, Green and Longmans, 1856. url p. 415, p. 492.
- An introduction to entomology: or Elements of the natural history of insects: with plates. By William Kirby. .. and William Spence. London, Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme, and Brown, 1828. url p. 274, p. 309, p. 311.
- An introduction to entomology: or, Elements of the natural history of insects. .. / by William Kirby and William Spence. London: Longmans, Green, 1865. url p. 147, p. 424, p. 492.
- An introduction to entomology; or, Elements of the natural history of insects: comprising an account of noxious and useful insects, of their metamorphoses, food, stratagems, habitations, societies, motions, noises, hybernation, ins Philadelphia: Lea and Blanchard, 1846. url p. 182, p. 451, p. 459.
- An introduction to the modern classification of insects: founded on the natural habits and corresponding organisation of the different families / by J. O. Westwood. London: Longman, Orme, Brown, Green, and Longmans, Paternoster-Row, 1839-1840 url p. 205.
- Anales de la Sociedad Española de Historia Natural. Madrid: La Sociedad, url p. 218.
- Bibliotheca Stephensiana; being a cataloque of the entomological library of the late James Francis Stephens, Esq., F.L.S., which has been preserved entire, and is now removed to Mountsfield, Lewisham, where it may be consulted London[Printed by C. Roworth and Sons]1853. url p. 5.
- British beetles. Transferred from Curtis's British entomology. With descriptions by E.W. Janson. 1863 London, Bell and Daldy, 1863. url p. 16.
- British beetles: an introduction to the study of our indigenous Coleoptera. By E.C. Rye. .. London, L. Reeve & Co., 1866. url p. 119.
- British entomology; being illustrations and descriptions of the genera of insects found in Great Britain and Ireland: containing coloured figures from nature of the most rare and beautiful species, and in many instances By John Curtis. London, Printed for the author, 1823-40. url p. 2, p. 7.
- British journal of entomology and natural history. [London]: British Entomological and Natural History Society, 1988- url , p. 204, p. 67.
- Cassell's dictionary of practical gardening; an illustrated encyclopædia of practical horticulture for all classes; ed. by Walter P. Wright. London, Cassell and company, limited, 1902. url p. 416.
- Catalogue of scientific papers (1800-1900) Comp. by the Royal society of London. Cambridge, C. J. Clay and sons, 1867-1902; url p. 989.
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. Compiled by the Royal Society of London. London, C.J. Clay and Sons, 1867-1902 [etc.] Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1914-25. url p. 989.
- Check-list and bibliography on the occurrence of insects in birds' nests. Ames, Iowa State College Press url p. 364, p. 85.
- Einleitung in die Entomologie: oder Elemente der Naturgeschichte der Insecten / Von Wilhelm Kirby und Wilhelm Spence. Stuttgart: Cottaischen Buchhandlung, 1823-1833. url p. 274, p. 334, p. 335, p. 337, p. 353, p. 415, p. 520, p. 601.
- Elements of natural history, adapted to the present state of the science, containing the generic characters of nearly the whole animal kingdom, and the descriptions of the principal species. By John Stark. .. Edinburgh: W. Blackwood; [etc., etc.], 1828. url p. 284.
- Entomological news. [Philadelphia]American Entomological Society, 1925- url p. 80.
- Episodes of insect life / By Acheta Domestica. London: Reeve, Benham, 1849-51. url p. 122, p. 419.
- Episodes of insect life. By Acheta Domestica, M. E. S. [pseud.] Boston: B. B. Mussey & co., 1851 url p. 419.
- Handbook of zoology / by J. van der Hoeven. Cambridge: University Press, 1856-1858. url p. 253.
- Handbook of zoology; by J. van der Hoeven. Tr. from the 2d Dutch ed. by the Rev. William Clark. Cambridge: Longman, Brown, Green, Longmans, and Roberts, 1856-58. url p. 253.
- Hardwicke's science-gossip: an illustrated medium of interchange and gossip for students and lovers of nature. London: Robert Hardwicke, 1866- url p. 88.
- Illinois biological monographs. Urbana, Univ. of Illinois Press. url , p. 20.
- Illustrations of British entomology; or, A synopsis of indigenous insects: containing their generic and specific distinctions. By James Francis Stephens. London:Printed for the author; published by Baldwin and Cradock, 1828-1835. url p. 170.
- Index to the known fossil insects of the world: including myriopods and arachnids / by Samuel Hubbard Scudder. Washington, D.C.: Department of the Interior, Geological Survey: 1891. url p. 500.
- Insect life, by C. A. Ealand, M. A., with 74 full-page illustrations, 24 being from photographs by the author and 50 in colour from nature. 1921 London, A. & C. Black, ltd., 1921. url p. 179, p. 326.
- Insect life: souvenirs of a naturalist, J.-H. Fabre. .. Tr. from the French by the author of 'Mademoiselle Mori, ' [i.e. Margaret Roberts] with a preface by David Sharp. .. and edited by F. Merrifield, with illustrations by M. Prendergast Parker. London: Macmillan and Co., Limited, 1913. url p. 3.
- Insect life: souvenirs of naturalist / J.-H. Fabre. .. Tr. from the French by the author of 'Mademoiselle Mori, ' [i. e. Margaret Roberts] with a preface by David Sharp. .. and edited by F. Merrifield, with illustrations by M. Prendergast LondonMacmillan1913 url p. 3.
- Insects abroad. Being a popular account of foreign insects, their structure, habits, and transformations. By Rev. J.G. Wood. Illustrated with six hundred figures, by E.A. Smith and J.B Zwecker, engraved by G. Pearson. London, Longmans, Green and Co., 1874. url p. 118.
- International catalogue of scientific literature. LondonPublished for the International Council by the Royal Society of London1901-1920 url p. 108, p. 163.
- Les insectes, morphologie - reproduction - embryogenie, par L. Félix Henneguy. .. Leçons recueillies par A. Lécaillon & G. Poirault. .. Paris, Masson, 1904. url p. 289, p. 774.
- Morphology, taxonomy, and biology of larval Scarabaeoidea, Urbana, Ill., c1930 url p. 115, p. 20.
- Natural history of the animal kingdom for the use of young people: in three parts, comprising I. Mammalia: II. Birds: Part III. Reptiles, amphibia, fishes, insects, worms, molluscs, zoophytes, &c.: with 91 coloured plates, including about 850 figures, and numerous adapted from the German of Professor von Schubert by W.F. Kirby. 1889 Brighton: E. & J.B. Young and Co., 1889. url p. VIII.
- Natural history of the district. .., together with a geological account of the rock strata, and the fossils contained in them, Part II [in The Teignmouth, Dawlish, and Torquay Guide., , , by N. T. Carrington] Teignmouth, E. Croydon, 1830. url .
- Natural history of the insects of China, containing upwards of two hundred and twenty figures anddescriptions, by E. Donovan. .. London: H.G. Bohn, 1842. url p. 6.
- Newman's entomologist. London: Simpkin, Marshall & Co., [1869-1876] url , , p. 210, p. 210, p. 445.
- Nicholson, G. The illustrated dictionary of gardening: a practical and scientific encyclopædia of horticulture for gardeners and botanists /edited by George Nicholson; assisted by J.W.H. Trail. .. and J. Garrett. .. 8 1884 London: L.U. Gill, -88. url p. 123, p. 458.
- Polskie pismo entomologiczne = Polish journal of entomology = Bulletin entomologique de Pologne Warszawa [etc.]Panstwowe Wydawn. Naukowe. url p. 105.
- Proceedings and transactions of the South London Entomological & Natural History Society. London: The Society. url p. 56.
- Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia, Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia url p. 124, p. 125.
- Proceedings of the Entomological Society of Washington. Washington, etc.: Entomological Society of Washington url p. 269.
- Proceedings of the Geological Society of London. London: The Society, 1834-1845. url p. 175.
- Proceedings of the Linnean Society of London. London, Published for the Linnean Society of London by Academic Press [etc.], 1848-1968. url p. 346, p. 395.
- Proceedings of the South London Entomological & Natural History Society. London [Eng]: South London Entomological and Natural history Society, [1897-1933] url p. 79.
- Report of the State Entomologist on injurious and other insects of the state of New York. Albany: Weed, Parsons and Co.; University of the State of New York, 1882- url p. 151.
- Reports on zoology for 1843, 1844 / Tr. from the German by George Busk, Alfred Tulk, esq., and Alexander H. Haliday, esq. London: Printed for the Ray society, 1847. url p. 307.
- Spixiana. München: Zoologische Staatssammlung München, 1977- url p. 230.
- The Annals and magazine of natural history; zoology, botany, and geology being a continuation of the Annals combined with Loudon and Charlesworth's Magazine of Natural History. London, Taylor and Francis, Ltd. url p. 377, p. 377, p. 509, p. 513, p. 513, p. 515.
- The British Coleoptera delineated, consisting of figures of all the genera of British beetles, drawn in outline by W. Spry, M.E.S., ed. by W.E. Shuckard. London: H.G. Bohn, 1861. url p. 35.
- The British cyclopædia of natural history: combining a scientific classification of animals, plants, and minerals. .. By authors eminent in their particular department. Arranged and ed. by Charles F. Partington. London: Orr & Smith, 1835-37. url p. 720.
- The Coleoptera of the British islands: a descriptive account of the families, genera, and species indigenous to Great Britain and Ireland, with notes as to localities, habitats, etc. / by the Rev. W. W. Fowler. London: L. Reeve & co., 1887-1913. url , p. 270.
- The Entomological magazine. London: Frederick Westley and A.H. Davis, 1833-1838 url p. 43, p. 43, p. 514.
- The Entomologist's monthly magazine. Oxford [etc.]Entomologist's Monthly Magazine Ltd. [etc.] url , , , p. 14, p. 154, p. 161, p. 192, p. 200, p. 210, p. 279.
- The Entomologist's record and journal of variation. s.l., s.n. url , , , , p. 170, p. 19, p. 20, p. 229, p. 240, p. 50, p. 58, p. 80.
- The Entomologist. London: Edward Newman, 1840- url p. 252, p. 65.
- The Entomologist. London: Simpkin, Marshall & Co., [1877- url p. 2, p. 214, p. 261.
- The Illustrated dictionary of gardening: a practical and scientific encyclopaedia of horticulture for gardeners and botanists / edited by George Nicholson. ..; assisted by J.W.H. Trail. .. and J. Garrett. ... London: L. Upcott Gill; 1887-1889. url p. 458.
- The Victoria history of the county of Kent; ed. by William Page. London, Constable, 1908- url p. 152.
- The animal kingdom arranged in conformity with its organization / by the Baron Cuvier; the Crustacea, Arachnides and Insecta, by P.A. Latreille; translated from the French, with notes and additions, by H. M'Murtrie; in four volumes, with plates. New York: G. & C. & H. Carvill, 1831. url p. 402, p. 407, p. 407.
- The animal kingdom, arranged according to its organization, serving as a foundation for the natural history of animals: and an introduction to comparative anatomy / Baron Cuvier. London, G. Henderson, 1834-37. url p. 4, p. 8.
- The animal kingdom: arranged in conformity with its organization / London: Printed for G.B. Whittaker, 1827-1835. url p. 450.
- The book of the seasons: or, The calendar of nature / by William Howitt. Philadelphia: Carey and Hart, 1842. url p. 121.
- The book of the seasons; or, The calendar of nature. LondonR. Bentley1833 url p. 95.
- The coleoptera of the British Islands, a descriptive account of the families, genera, and species indigenous to Great Britain and Ireland, with notes as to localities, habitats, etc. London, Reeve, 1887-91. url , .
- The descent of man, and selection in relation to sex. By Charles Darwin. New York, A.L. Burt url p. 343.
- The descent of man: and selection in relation to sex / by Charles Darwin. New York: D. Appleton and Company, 1875. url p. 303.
- The entomological cabinet; being a natural history of British insects: with plates illustrative of the principal families and genera / George Samouelle. London: G. Henderson, 1841. url , .
- The entomologist's useful compendium; or, An introduction to the knowledge of British insects. .. together with the genera of Linné, and the modern method of arranging the classes. .. according to the views of Dr. Leach. .. with instructions for collecting and fitting up objects for the microscope London, Printed for Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme, Brown, and Green, 1824. url p. 188, p. 368.
- The history of Harting, by the Rev. H.D. Gordon. With a chapter on the geology of the district, by the late Sir Roderick Impey Murchison, and some notice of its fauna and flora, by J. Weaver. London: Printed for the authors by W. Davy, 1877. url p. 244.
- The insect world: being a popular account of the orders of insects; together with a description of the habits and economy of some of the most interesting species. New York: D. Appleton,  url p. 458.
- The insect world; being a popular account of the orders of insects, together with a description of the habits and economy of some of the most interesting species. From the French of Louis Figuier...Illustrated by 564 woodcuts. By MM. E. Blanchard, Delahaye, after Reaumur. etc. New York: D. Appleton, 1868. url p. 459.
- The museum of natural history, with introductory essay on the natural history of the primeval world: being a popular account of the structure, habits, and classification of the various departments of the animal kingdom, quadrupeds, birds, reptiles, fishes, shells, and insects, including the insects d by Sir John Richardson, William S. Dallas, T. Spencer Cobbold, and William Baird & Adam White. Edinburgh: William MacKenzie, [1869?] url p. 214.
- Transactions of the Entomological Society of London. London, The Society. url , , , p. 123, p. 48, p. 74, p. 81.
- Travels in Brazil, in the years 1817-1820, : undertaken by command of His majesty the King of Bavaria by Dr. Joh.Babt. von Spix and Dr. C. F. Phil. von Martius / London, Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme, Brown and Green;1824. url p. 17.
- Zur fauna Montenegros und Nordalbaniens. Mollusken, Käfer, Isopoden, Chilopoden, Diplopoden; mit beitragen von H. Simroth, Oskar Boettger, und Karl Verhoeff. Vienna, Adolf Holzhausen, 1909. url p. 128.
- Bisby, F.A., Y.R. Roskov, M.A. Ruggiero, T.M. Orrell, L.E. Paglinawan, P.W. Brewer, N. Bailly, J. van Hertum, eds (2007). Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2007 Annual Checklist. Species 2000: Reading, U.K.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 16, 2012.
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility. Accessed March 03, 2008. http://www.gbif.org Mediated distribution data from 3 providers.
- Ruggiero M., Gordon D., Bailly N., Kirk P., Nicolson D. (2011). The Catalogue of Life Taxonomic Classification, Edition 2, Part A. In: Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2011 Annual Checklist (Bisby F.A., Roskov Y.R., Orrell T.M., Nicolson D., Paglinawan L.E., Bailly N., Kirk P.M., Bourgoin T., Baillargeon G., Ouvrard D., eds). DVD; Species 2000: Reading, UK.
- Scarabs: World Scarabaeidae Database. Release date: November 7, 2009
- Schoolmeesters, Paul (from Scarabaeidae).
- World Scarabaeidae Database 2006.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal March 03, 2008:
- Biologiezentrum der Oberoesterreichischen Landesmuseen: Biologiezentrum Linz
- European Environment Agency: EUNIS
- GBIF-Spain: BANDASCA
- GBIF-Spain: Instituto de Investigación CIBIO, Universidad de Alicante: CEUA
- GBIF-Sweden: Bugs (GBIF-SE:Artdatabanken)
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 2816374
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: Scr-18-.02-.01-.00-.004-.000-.078-.-
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 4490920
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 571424