Biome: Marine .
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (C. Linnaeus, 1758) Cuvier, 1795
- Cuvier, 1795
- Snails and Slugs
- Ponder & Lindberg, 1996
- Cox, 1960
- Ponder & Lindberg, 1997
- Suborder: Hypsogastropoda () - Ponder & Lindberg, 1997
- Order: Sorbeoconcha () - Ponder & Lindberg, 1997
- Superorder: Caenogastropoda () - Cox, 1960
- Subclass: Orthogastropoda () - Ponder & Lindberg, 1996
- Class: Gastropoda () - Cuvier, 1795 - Snails and Slugs
- Phylum: Mollusca () - (C. Linnaeus, 1758) Cuvier, 1795 - Molluscs
- Superphylum: Eutrochozoa ()
- Infrakingdom: Lophotrochozoa ()
- Branch: Protostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Members of the genus Conus
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 27 species and subspecies in this genus:
C. anabathrum (Florida Cone) · C. armiger (Mace Cone) · C. attenuatus (Slender Cone) · C. aulicus (Courtly Cone) · C. californicus (California Cone) · C. cancellatus (Cancellate Cone) · C. daucus (Carrot Cone) · C. ermineus (Agate Cone) · C. flamingo (Flamingo Cone) · C. flavescens (Flame Cone) · C. floridanus (Florida Cone) · C. gloriamaris (Glory-Of-The-Sea Cone) · C. granarius (Sevan Trout) · C. granulatus (Glory-Of-The-Atlantic Cone) · C. jacarusoi (Gelatinous Snailfish) · C. jaspideus (Jasper Cone) · C. jaspideus verrucosus (Jasper Cone) · C. marmoratus (Chain-Forming Dinoflagellate) · C. mindanus (Bermuda Cone) · C. mus (Mouse Cone) · C. patae (Sunrise Cone) · C. regius (Crown Cone) · C. sennottorum (Speckled Cone) · C. spurius (Alphabet Cone) · C. stearnsii (Dusky Cone) · C. stimpsoni (Yellow Cone) · C. striatus (Striated Cone)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A catalogue of the shells contained in the collection of the late Earl of Tankerville: arranged according to the Lamarckian conchological system: together with an appendix, containing descriptions of many new species / by G.B. Sowerby; illustrated with several coloured plates. London: Printed by E.J. Stirling for G.B. Sowerby, 1825. url p. 87.
- A descriptive catalogue of recent shells: arranged according to the Linnæan method; with particular attention to the synonymy / by Lewis Weston Dillwyn. .. London: Printed for J. and A. Arch, 1817. url p. 352, p. 354, p. 355, p. 356.
- A manual of conchology, according to the system laid down by Lamarck, with the late improvements by De Blainville exemplified and arranged for the use of students. By Thomas Wyatt. New York, Harper & brothers, 1838. url p. 171.
- A manual of the Mollusca: or, A rudimentary treatise of recent and fossil shells / by S. P. Woodward; illustrated by A. N. Waterhouse and Joseph Wilson Lowry. London, J. Weale, 1851-56. url p. 7.
- A manual of the Mollusca; or, A rudimentary treatise of recent and fossil shells, by S. P. Woodward. Illustrated by A. N. Waterhouse and Joseph Wilson Lowry. London, J. Weale, 1851-56. url p. 117, p. 7.
- An introduction to the study of conchology: including observations on the Linnæan genera, and the arrangement of M. Lamarck, a glossary, and a table of English names / by Samuel Brookes. London: Printed for John and Arthur Arch, by Richard and Arthur Taylor, 1815. url p. 155, p. 157, p. 162, p. 98.
- Birds & nature magazine. Chicago, nature study publishing company [etc.]1896-1907. url .
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url p. 36.
- Bulletin of the Museum of Comparative Zoology at Harvard College. 100 1948 Cambridge, Mass.: The Museum, 1863- url p. 311.
- Bulletins of American paleontology. 78 1980 Ithaca, N.Y., Paleontological Research Institution [etc.] url p. 102, p. 458, p. 78, p. 90.
- By the deep sea. A popular introduction to the wild life of the British shores, by Edward Step; with 122 illustrations by P.H. Gosse [and others] London, Jarrold & Sons, 1896. url .
- Catalogue of Tertiary Mollusca in the Department of Geology, British Museum (Natural History). Part 1. The Australasian Tertiary Mollusca. London:British Museum, 1897. url p. 27.
- Catalogue of marine shells in Lorenzo G. Yates' collection, Santa Barbara, Cal. Santa Barbara, Cal., 1886. url p. 38.
- Catalogue of the Hadfield collection of shells from Lifu and Uvea, Loyalty Islands, ManchesterJ.E. Cornish1897 url p. 91.
- Catalogue of the marine mollusks of Japan, with descriptions of new species and notes on others collected by Frederick Stearns, by Henry A. Pilsbry. .. Detroit, Frederick Stearns, 1895. url p. 14, p. 164.
- Comparative zoology, structural and systematic, for use in schools and colleges, by James Orton. Cincinnati, American book company url p. 276.
- Cretaceous fauna of southern India / by [Henry F. Blandford and] Ferd. Stoliczka. Calcutta: Geological Survey Office, 1865-73. url p. 72.
- Current bibliography for aquatic sciences and fisheries. London, Taylor & Francis ltd. url p. 130.
- Dangerous marine animals. Cambridge, Md., Cornell Maritime Press, 1959. url p. 39.
- Duplicate shells collected by the United States Exploring Expedition, under Capt. C. Wilkes, U.S.N. Washington, D.C.: The Institution, 1865 url p. 2.
- Elements of natural history, adapted to the present state of the science, containing the generic characters of nearly the whole animal kingdom, and the descriptions of the principal species. By John Stark. .. Edinburgh: W. Blackwood; [etc., etc.], 1828. url p. 24.
- Figures of molluscous animals, selected from various authors. Etched for the use of students by Maria Emma Gray. .. London, Longman, Brown, Green and Longmans, 1859. url p. 135, p. 2.
- Guide to the systematic distribution of Mollusca in the British museum. London, Printed by order of the trustees, 1857. url .
- Historical and descriptive account of British India, from the most remote period to the present time New YorkJ. & J. Harper1832 url p. 104.
- Iconographic encyclopaedia of science, literature, and art. systematically arranged by J.G. Heck. Translated from the German, with additions, and edited by Spencer F. Baird. .. illustrated by five hundred steel plates, containing upwards to twelve thousand en New York, R. Garrigue, 1851. url p. 12.
- Ipsa Linnaei conchylia. The shells of Linnaeus, determined from his manuscripts and collection. By Sylvanus Hanley. .. Also, an exact reprint of the Vermes Testacea of the "Systema naturae" and "Mantissa." London, Williams and Norgate, 1855. url p. 161.
- Journal of conchology. London: D. Bogue. url , p. 91.
- Lamarck's genera of shells: with a catalogue of species / translated from the French by Augustus A. Gould Boston: Allen and Ticknor, 1833 url p. 97.
- Lessons on shells, as given to children between the ages of eight and ten, in a Pestalozzian school, at Cheam, Surrey. By the author of "Lessons on Objects." London, Seeley, Burnside, and Seeley, 1846. url p. 66.
- Lessons on shells: as given in a Pestalozzian school, at Cheam, Surrey / by the author of "Lessons on objects." New York: C. J. Folsom, 1842. url , p. 68.
- Manual of conchology, structural and systematic: with illustrations of the species / by George W. Tryon, Jr. Philadelphia: Published by the Author, Academy of Natural Sciences, 1879-1898. url p. 10, p. 10, p. 103, p. 103, p. 103, p. 116, p. 116, p. 116, p. 119, p. 119, p. 119, p. 129, p. 129, p. 9, p. 9, p. 98, p. 98, p. 99, p. 99, p. 99.
- Memoirs of the San Diego Society of Natural History. 1 1931 San Diego, Calif.: The Society, 1931-1989. url p. 471.
- Natural history: a manual of zoology for schools, colleges, and the general reader / by Sanborn Tenney. New York: Charles Scribner & Co., 1865. url p. 480.
- Occasional papers of the California Academy of Sciences. San Francisco: California Academy of Sciences, url p. 11.
- Occasional papers on mollusks. 1 1946 Cambridge, Mass.: Dept. of Mollusks, Museum of Comparative Zoology, Harvard University, 1945- url p. 67, p. 79.
- On the varieties of the shells belonging to the genus Nassa, Lam. Liverpool, 1880. url p. 94.
- Outlines of general zoology. New York [N.Y.]: Rudolph Garrigue, 1851. url , .
- Popular natural history: a description of animal life, from the lowest forms up to man / by J. Sterling Kingsley. Boston: Estes & Lauriat, 1890. url p. 104.
- Proceedings of the Linnean Society of New South Wales. Sydney, Linnean Society of New South Wales. url p. 287.
- Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London. London: Academic Press, [etc.], 1833-1965. url p. 135.
- Quarterly journal of conchology. London, D. Bogue. url p. 74.
- Report to the government of Ceylon on the pearl oyster fisheries of the gulf of Manaar, by W.A. Herdman. .. With supplementary reports upon the marine biology of Ceylon, by other naturalists. Pub. at the request of the colonial government by the Royal society. London, 1903-06. url p. 285.
- Revue méthodique et critique des collections déposées dans cet établissement. Leyden, Rijksmuseum van Natuurlijke Historie. url p. 532, p. 9.
- Science and the sea. Washington, U.S. Naval Oceanographic Office; For sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off. url p. 31.
- Shell catalogues. New York, etc., 1845-81 url p. 19.
- Shells and sea life. Phoenix, AZ: Miranda Enterprises, url p. 15, p. 3, p. 3, p. 4, p. 4, p. 6, p. 9.
- Shells and their inmates. London: Religious Tract Society, 1841. url .
- Shells of land and water; a familiar introduction to the study of the mollusks. Chicago, A.W. Mumford, 1903. url , .
- Structural and systematic conchology: an introduction to the study of the Mollusca... By George W. Tryon, jr.... Philadelphia: The author, 1882-84. url p. 407, p. 407.
- Texas conchologist. [Houston, Houston Conchology Society], 1964- url , p. 34, p. 4, p. 54, p. 66, p. 70, p. 90.
- The Bulletin of zoological nomenclature. London, International Trust for Zoological Nomenclature. url p. 370.
- The Linnæan system of conchology: describing the orders, genera, and species of shells arranged into divisions and families: with a view to facilitate the student's attainment of the science / by John Mawe. London: Printed for and sold by the author, and Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme, and Brown, 1823. url p. 85, p. 85.
- The Natural history of Enewetak Atoll / edited by Dennis M. Devaney. .. [et al.]; prepared by Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Department of Energy. Oak Ridge, Tenn.: U.S. Dept. of Energy, Office of Energy Research, Office of Health and Environmental Research, Ecological Research Division, c1987. url p. 123.
- The Nautilus. Melbourne, Fla., etc., American Malacologists, inc., etc. url p. 17, p. 41, p. 56, p. 61, p. 76.
- The Quarterly journal of the Geological Society of London. London [etc.] url p. 480.
- The conchologist's first book, or, A system of testaceous malachology, arranged expressly for the use of schools: in which the animals, according to Cuvier, are given with the shells, and a great number of new species added: with colored illustrations of two hundred and fifteen shells, presenting a correct type Philadelphia: Barrington and Haswell, 1845. url p. 152.
- The conchologist's first book: a system of testaceous malacology, arranged expressly for the use of schools, in which the animals, according to Cuvier, are given with the shells, a great number of new Philadelphia, Pub. for the Author, by Haswell, Barrington, and Haswell, 1840. url p. 152.
- The conchologist's nomenclator: a catalogue of all the recent species of shells included under the subkingdom "Mollusca, " with their authorities. .. / by Agnes Catlow; assisted by Lovell Reeve. London: Reeve Brothers, 1845. url p. 319.
- The genera of recent Mollusca: arranged according to their organization. By Henry Adams...and Arthur Adams. LondonJ. Van Voorst, 1858. url p. 26.
- The life of the Mollusca. London, Methuen & Co. url .
- The life of the mollusca / London, Methuen & Co., 1913. url .
- The naturalisation of animals & plants in New Zealand, Cambridge [Eng.]University Press, 1922. url .
- The oist. Albion, N.Y.: Frank H. Lattin, 1886-1941. url .
- The standard natural history / edited by John Sterling Kingsley. Boston: S.E. Cassino, 1884-85. url p. 336.
- The standard natural history. Boston, S. E. Cassino and Company, 1884-85. url , .
- The standard natural history. Ed. by John Sterling Kingsley. Boston: S.E. Cassino and company, 1884-85. url p. 336.
- The zoology of the voyage of H.M.S. Sulphur: under the command of Captain Sir Edward Belcher, during the years 1836-42 / London: Smith, Elder, 1844 [i.e. 1843-1846] url p. 4.
- Transactions and proceedings of the New Zealand Institute. Wellington: New Zealand Institute. url p. 541.
- Transactions of the San Diego Society of Natural History. 5 1928 [San Diego]: The Society, 1905-1989. url p. 123.
- Wodarch's Introduction to the study of conchology: describing the orders, genera, and species of shells: with observations on the nature and properties of the animals and directions for collecting, preserving, and cleaning shells. London: Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, and Green. .. 1833. url p. 80.
- Wodarch's introduction to the study of conchology: describing the orders, genera, and species of shells: with observations on the nature and properties of the animals; and directions for collecting, preserving, and cleaning shells / by J. Mawe. London: Published by Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, and Green and by S. Mawe, 1831. url p. 80.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed February 5, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 14, 2007:
- Academy of Natural Sciences, Academy of Natural Sciences Malacology Database
- Academy of Natural Sciences, Academy of Natural Sciences OBIS Mollusc Database [Darwin Core]
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University, Academy of Natural Sciences OBIS Mollusc Database
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University, iziko South African Museum - Mollusc Collection
- Marine Science Institute, UCSB, Paleobiology Database
- National Chemical Laboratory, IndOBIS, Indian Ocean Node of OBIS
- Provider, Online Zoological Collections of Australian Museums