Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Dutch:
Common Names in English:
Azore's Wood Pigeon, Common Woodpigeon, Common Wood Pigeon, Common Wood-Pigeon, Wood Pigeon, Woodpigeon
Common Names in French:
Common Names in German:
Common Names in Hebrew:
Common Names in Italian:
Common Names in Japanese:
Common Names in Russian:
Common Names in Spanish:
Common Names in Swedish:
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 989 meters (0 to 3,245 feet).
List of Habitats
- 1 Forest
- 1.1 Forest - Boreal
- 1.4 Forest - Temperate
- 1.9 Forest - Subtropical/Tropical Moist Montane
- 3 Shrubland
- 3.3 Shrubland - Boreal
- 3.4 Shrubland - Temperate
- 3.8 Shrubland - Mediterranean-type Shrubby Vegetation
- 14 Artificial/Terrestrial
- 14.1 Artificial/Terrestrial - Arable Land
- 14.2 Artificial/Terrestrial - Pastureland
- 14.3 Artificial/Terrestrial - Plantations
- 14.4 Artificial/Terrestrial - Rural Gardens
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Bateson, 1885
- Cuvier, 1812
- Jawed Vertebrates
- Goodrich, 1930
- Linnaeus, 1758
- Gauthier, 1986
- (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Pycraft, 1900
- Superorder: Psittacimorphae () - Huxley, 1867
- Cohort: Neognathae () - Pycraft, 1900
- Infraclass: Aves () - (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Subclass: Avialae () - Gauthier, 1986
- Class: Aves () - Linnaeus, 1758
- Superclass: Tetrapoda () - Goodrich, 1930
- Infraphylum: Gnathostomata () - auct. - Jawed Vertebrates
- Subphylum: Vertebrata () - Cuvier, 1812 - Vertebrates
- Phylum: Chordata () - Bateson, 1885 - Chordates
- Infrakingdom: Chordonia () - (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Deuterostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Members of the genus Columba
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 90 species and subspecies in this genus:
C. albinucha (White-Naped Pigeon) · C. albitorques (White-Collared Pigeon) · C. araucana (Chilean Pigeon) · C. argentina (Silvery Wood Pigeon) · C. arquatrix (African Olive Pigeon) · C. arquatrix arquatrix (African Olive-Pigeon) · C. bollii (Dark-Tailed Laurel Pigeon) · C. caribaea (Jamaican Band-Tailed Pigeon) · C. cayennensis (Pale-Vented Pigeon) · C. corensis (Bare-Eyed Pigeon) · C. delegorguei (Eastern Bronze-Naped Pigeon) · C. delegorguei delegorguei (Eastern Bronze-Naped Pigeon) · C. duboisi (Lord Howe Island Parakeet) · C. elphinstonii (Nilgiri Wood Pigeon) · C. eversmanni (Yellow-Eyed Stock Dove) · C. fasciata (White-Collared Pigeon) · C. fasciata fasciata (Band-Tailed Pigeon) · C. fasciata monilis (Band-Tailed Pigeon) · C. fasciata vioscae (Band-Tailed Pigeon) · C. flavirostris (Red-Billed Pigeon) · C. flavirostris flavirostris (Red-Billed Pigeon) · C. goodsoni (Goodson's Pigeon) · C. guinea (African Rock Pigeon) · C. guinea guinea (Abyssinian Speckled Pigeon) · C. guinea phaeonota (Cape Speckled Pigeon) · C. hodgsonii (Speckled Wood Pigeon) · C. inornata (Plain Pigeon) · C. inornata inornata (Plain Pigeon) · C. iriditorques (Western Bronze-Naped Pigeon) · C. janthina (Japanese Wood Pigeon) · C. janthina janthina (Japanese Wood Pigeon) · C. jouyi (Ryuku Wood (Silver-Banded Black) Pigeon) · C. junoniae (White-Tailed Laurel Pigeon) · C. larvata (African Lemon Dove) · C. larvata larvata (African Lemon Dove) · C. leucocephala (White-Crowned Pigeon) · C. leucomela (White-Headed Pigeon) · C. leuconota (Snow Pigeon) · C. leuconota leuconota (Nepalese Snow-Pigeon) · C. livia (Feral Pigeon/Rock Dove) · C. livia dakhlae (Oasis Rock Pigeon) · C. livia gaddi (Iranian Rock Pigeon) · C. livia gymnocycla (Senegal Rock Pigeon) · C. livia livia (Common Rock Pigeon) · C. livia neglecta (Blue Rock Pigeon) · C. livia palaestinae (Arabian Rock Pigeon) · C. livia schimperi (Butler's Rock Pigeon) · C. livia targia (Saharan Rock Pigeon) · C. lugens (Silvery John Dory) · C. luzonica (Luzon Bleeding Heart Pigeon) · C. maculosa (Spot-Winged Pigeon) · C. maculosa maculosa (Spot-Winged Pigeon) · C. malherbii (Sao Thome Bronze-Naped Pigeon) · C. mayeri (Pink Pigeon) · C. nigrirostris (Short-Billed Pigeon) · C. oenas (Stock Pigeon) · C. oenas oenas (Stock Pigeon) · C. oenops (Salvin's Pigeon) · C. oliviae (Somali Stock Dove) · C. pallidiceps (Yellow-Legged Pigeon) · C. palumboides (Andaman Wood Pigeon) · C. palumbus (Azore's Wood Pigeon) · C. palumbus azorica (Azore's Wood Pigeon) · C. palumbus palumbus (Common Wood-Pigeon) · C. picazuro (Picazuro Pigeon) · C. picazuro picazuro (Picazuro Pigeon) · C. picturata (Madagascar Turtle-Dove) · C. plumbea (Plumbeous Pigeon) · C. plumbea plumbea (Plumbeous Pigeon) · C. pollenii (Comoros Rameron Pigeon) · C. pulchricollis (Ashy Wood Pigeon) · C. punicea (Purple Wood-Pigeon) · C. risoria (New Zealand Coot) · C. rupestris (Eastern Rock Pigeon) · C. rupestris rupestris (Eastern Rock Pigeon) · C. rupestris turkestanica (Blue Hill Pigeon) · C. sjostedti (Cameroon Olive Pigeon) · C. speciosa (Scaled Pigeon) · C. squamosa (Scaly-Naped Pigeon) · C. subvinacea (Ruddy Pigeon) · C. thomensis (Sao Thome Olive Pigeon) · C. torringtoni (Sri Lanka Wood-Pigeon) · C. torringtoniae (Ceylon Wood-Pigeon) · C. torringtonii (Ceylon Wood-Pigeon) · C. trocaz (Madeira Laurel Pigeon) · C. trocaz trocaz (Madeira Laurel Pigeon) · C. unicincta (African Wood Pigeon) · C. versicolor (Bonin Wood (Black) Pigeon) · C. vitiensis (White-Throated Pigeon) · C. vitiensis vitiensis (White-Throated Pigeon)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- , 274 p.port.22 cm. url p. 170.
- A List of British birds / London: British Ornithologists' Union, 1915. url .
- A List of British birds / London: John Van Voorst, 1883. url .
- A List of birds' eggs in the collection of Mr. William Stoate, Wembdon, Bridgewater. [188-?] url p. 27.
- A book of birds. 1908 London, Sidney Appleton, 1908. url p. 149, p. 155.
- A catalogue of the collection of birds formed by the late Hugh Edwin Strickland. Cambridge, Univ. Press, 1882. url p. 542.
- A concise handbook of British birds / H. Kirke Swann. London: J. Wheldon, 1896. url p. 158, p. 159.
- A dictionary of birds, by Alfred Newton, assisted by Hans Gadow, with contributions from Richard Lydekker. .. Charles S. Roy. .. and Robert W. Shufeldt. .. London, A. and C. Black, 1893-1896. url p. 162, p. 162, p. 790.
- A general synopsis of birds London: Printed for Leigh & Sotheby, 1783. url .
- A general synopsis of birds. London: Printed for Benj. White, 1781-1785. url p. 635.
- A general system of nature: through the three grand kingdoms of animals, vegetables, and minerals; systematically divided into their several classes, orders, genera, species, and varieties with their habitations, manners, econo translated from Gmelin's last edition of the celebrated Systema Naturae by Charles Linné; ammended and enlarged by the improvements and discoveries of later naturalists and societies with appropriate London: Printed for Lackington, ALlen, and Co., Temple of the Muses, Finsbury Square; 1802-06. url p. 468.
- A geographical and comparative list of the birds of Europe and North America / by Charles Lucian Bonaparte. London: J. Van Voorst, 1838. url p. 41.
- A glossary of Greek birds, by D'Arcy Wentworth Thomoson. Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1895. url p. 177.
- A glossary of Greek birds. OxfordClarendon Press1895 url p. 177.
- A glossary of popular, local and old-fashioned names, of British birds; London: H. Sotheran & Co., 1902. url p. 13, p. 24, p. 89.
- A guide to the natural history of the Isle of Wight: a series of contributions by specialists relating to the various branches of natural history and kindred subjects / edited by Frank Morey. Newport, Isle of Wight: The County Press, 1909. url p. 518.
- A hand-book to the birds of Great Britain / by R. Bowdler Sharpe. London: E. Lloyd, 1896-1897. url p. 241.
- A hand-list of British birds, with an account of the distribution of each species in the British Isles and abroad. By Ernst Hartert, F. C. R. Jourdain, N. F. Ticehurst and H. F. Withersby. London, Witherby, 1912. url p. 160.
- A handbook of British birds, showing the distribution of the resident and migratory species in the British islands, with an index to the records of the rarer visitants, by J.E. Harting. .. London, J.C. Nimmo, 1901. url , p. 122.
- A handbook of British birds: showing the distribution of the resident and migratory species in the British islands, with an index to the records of the rarer visitants / by J. E. Harting. London: J. van Voorst, 1872. url p. 186, p. 186, p. 36, p. 36.
- A handbook of European birds for the use of field naturalists and collectors. By James Backhouse. London, Gurney and Jackson, 1890. url p. 215.
- A handbook of the vertebrate fauna of Yorkshire: being a catalogue of British mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians, and fishes / by Wm. Eagle Clarke, and Wm. Denison Roebuck. London: Reeve, 1881. url p. 60, p. 60.
- A history of British birds / by William Yarrell, V.P.L.S., F.Z.S. London: John van Voorst, 1871-1885. url .
- A history of British birds by William Yarrell; illustrated by 535 wood-engravings. London: J. Van Voorst, 1845. url p. 277.
- A history of British birds, London, Pub. for the author by R. H. Porter [etc.]1883-85. url .
- A history of British birds, indigenous and migratory: including their organization, habits, and relations; remarks on classification and nomenclature; an account of the principal organs of birds, and observations relative to practical ornithology. .. By William Macgillivray. .. London, Printed for Scott, Webster, and Geary, 1837-1852 url p. 259, p. 260, p. 262, p. 264, p. 266, p. 699.
- A history of British birds, with coloured illustrations of their eggs. By Henry Seebohm. .. London, Pub. for the author by R.H. Porter [etc.]1883-85. url p. 396.
- A history of British birds. By the Rev. F. O. Morris. London, Groombridge and sons, [1851-57?] url .
- A history of British birds. London, J. Van Voorst, 1871-85. url .
- A history of the birds of Europe: including all the species inhabiting the western palaearctic region / London: Published by the Author, 1871-1881. url , , , p. 210, p. 25, p. 3, p. 456, p. 8.
- A history of the earth and animated nature / with copious notes, to which is subjoined an appendix by Thomas Brown. Glasgow: A. Fullarton, 1840. url p. 567.
- A list of British birds / compiled by a committee of the British Ornithologists' Union. London: J. van Voorst, 1883. url , p. 138.
- A list of British birds, comp. by a committee of the British ornithologists' union. London: British ornithologists' union, 1915. url , p. 307.
- A list of European birds, including all those found in the western palaearctic area, with a supplement containing species said to have occurred, but which, for various reasons, are inadmissible. London, R.H. Porter, 1898. url p. 45.
- A list of European birds: including all species found in the western palaearctic region: the nomenclature carefully revised / by Henry E. Dresser. London: H.E. Dresser, 1881. url p. 29.
- A list of the birds of Norfolk: with remarks on the general ornithology of the county / by Henry Stevenson. Sheffield: Wm. White, F. Parsonage, 1864. url p. 7.
- A list of the genera of birds: with their synonyma and an indication of the typical species of each genus / by George Robert Gray. London: Printed and sold by R. and J.E. Taylor, 1841. url p. 12, p. 74.
- A manual of British ornithology: being a short description of the birds of Great Britain and Ireland. .. / by William Macgillivray. .. London: Scott, Webster, and Geary, 1840-1842. url p. 226.
- A manual of comparative anatomy / translated from the German of J.F. Blumenbach, with additional notes, by William Lawrence. London: Printed for W. Simpkin and R. Marshall, 1827. url p. 234.
- A manual of forestry. LondonBradbury, Agnew1906-25 url p. 136.
- A manual of palæarctic birds, by H. E. Dresser. London, The author, 1902-03. url p. 645, p. 646.
- A natural history of the nests and eggs of British birds / by the Rev. F.O. Morris. London: John C. Nimmo, 1896. url p. 227.
- A popular history of British birds' eggs / by Richard Laishley. London: L. Reeve, 1858. url p. 302.
- A practical handbook of British birds, edited by H.F. Witherby. .. London: Witherby, 1920-24. url , p. 3.
- A student's text-book of zoology / by Adam Sedgwick. London: S. Sonnenschein and co.; 1898-1909. url p. 469.
- A student's text-book of zoology, by Adam Sedgwick. .. London, Macmillan Co., 1898-1909. url p. 469.
- A study of the incubation periods of birds; what determines their lengths, Denver, Col., The Kendrick-Bellamy Co., 1917. url .
- A survey and record of Woolwich and West Kent containing descriptions and records, brought up-to-date, of geology, botany, zoology, archaeology and industries of the district, with a brief photographic commentary, in commemoration of the 12th Ann General editors, C.H. Grinling, T.A. Ingram [and] B.C. Polkinghorne. Woolwich: Labour Representation Print. Co., 1909. url p. 251.
- A text-book of agricultural zoology, Edinburgh and London, W. Blackwood and Sons, 1899. url , .
- A tour in Sutherlandshire, with extracts from the fieldbooks of a sportsman and naturalist. By Charles St. John... With woodcuts. London: J. Murray, 1849. url p. 347.
- A vertebrate fauna of the Orkney Islands / by Thomas E. Buckley and J.A. Harvie-Brown. Edinburgh: D. Douglas, 1891. url p. 186.
- A year with the birds / by W. Warde Fowler; with illustrations by Bryan Hook. London: Macmillan, 1891. url p. 264.
- A year with the birds, Oxford, B. H. Blackwell, 1886. url .
- A year with the birds, by W. Warde Fowler. .. With illustrations by Bryan Hook. London, New York: Macmillan and co., 1891. url p. 222, p. 264.
- A year with the birds; by W. Warde Fowler. .. illustrations by Bryan Hook. London, Macmillan and co., limited, 1914. url p. 222, p. 264.
- Abstract of proceedings of the South London Entomological & Natural History Society. London [Eng.]: South London Entomological and Natural History Society, [1885-1896] url p. 205.
- Acta Societatis pro Fauna et Flora Fennica. Helsinki: Societas, 1875-1980. url p. 100, p. 110, p. 12, p. 12, p. 130, p. 136, p. 23, p. 247, p. 27, p. 31, p. 31, p. 34, p. 34, p. 34, p. 36, p. 41, p. 43, p. 45, p. 47.
- Among British birds in their nesting haunts: illustrated by the camera / by Oswin A. J. Lee. Edinburgh: David Douglas, [1896-9?] url , p. 137.
- An account of the flowering plants, ferns and allies of Harleston. With a sketch of the geology, climate, and natural characteristics of the neighbourhood. Compiled and edited by Francis William Galpin. To which are added Observations on the birds of the district, by Charles Candler. London, Bartlett, 1888. url p. 143.
- An angler's paradise and how to obtain it. Scarborough, The Angler, 1898. url p. 37.
- An encyclopaedia of gardening; comprising the theory and practice of horticulture, floriculture, arboriculture, and landscape-gardening, including all the latest improvements; a general history of gardening in all countries; and a By J.C. Loudon. London, Printed for Longman, Ross, Orme, Brown, and Green, 1828. url p. 1160.
- An illustrated dictionary of scientific terms. New York: G. P. Putnam's Sons, pref. 1878. url p. 288.
- An introduction to the natural history of birds; being the article "Ornithology", from the seventh edition of the Encyclopedia Britannica. .. Edinburgh: A. and C. Black, 1839. url p. 646.
- Anales de la Sociedad Española de Historia Natural. Madrid: La Sociedad, url p. 202, p. 202, p. 202, p. 71, p. 71, p. 91, p. 91.
- Animal life and the world of nature: a magazine of natural history throughout the world. London: Hutchinson, 1902-1904. url , p. 210, p. 262, p. 404.
- Annual report of the Board of Regents of the Smithsonian Institution. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, -1965. url p. 102, p. 103, p. 105, p. 335, p. 42, p. 56, p. 63, p. 68, p. 72, p. 75, p. 80, p. 88, p. 88, p. 92, p. 93, p. 96, p. 97, p. 99, p. 99.
- Annual reports and proceedings of the Belfast Naturalists' Field Club. url p. 288, p. 688.
- Ardea. Amsterdam, etc., Nederlandse Ornithlogische Unie, etc. url p. 21, p. 22, p. 39, p. 41, p. 67, p. 87.
- Aristotle's History of animals. In ten books. Tr. by Richard Cresswell. London, G. Bell, 1878. url p. 324.
- Bird life in arctic Norway: a popular brochure / by Robert Collett; translated by Alfred Heneage Cocks. London: H.R. Porter, 1894. url p. vi.
- Bird lore. New York City: Macmillan Co., c1899-c1940. url p. 49.
- Bird-hunting through wild Europe / New York: D. Appleton, 1909. url .
- Bird-lore. New York, National Association of Audubon Societies. url p. 49, p. 49.
- Birds from Moidart and elsewhere / [by] Mrs. Hugh Blackburn. Edinburgh: David Douglas, 1895. url p. 117.
- Birds in their haunts, by the late C. A. Johns. London, E. P. Dutton, 1909. url .
- Birds of Britain, by J. Lewis Bonhote. .. with 100 illustrations in colour selected by H.E. Dresser from his Birds of Europe.' London: A. and C. Black, 1907. url p. 268.
- Birds of Marlborough; being a contribution to the ornithology of the district, by Everard F. Im Thurn. With an appendix. Marlborough, Perkins, "Times" office; [etc., etc.]1870. url p. 45.
- Birds of the British Isles, drawn and described by John Duncan; with an introd. by Charles Dixon. London, W. Scott, 1898. url p. 425.
- Birds of the Humber District / by John Cordeaux. London: Van Voorst, 1872. url p. 76.
- Birds of the world for young people, New York, F.A. Stokes Company url .
- Birds of the world; a popular account. With a chapter on the anatomy of birds, by Frederic A. Lucas; the whole edited by Robert Ridgway. New York, Holt, 1909. url p. 422.
- Birds; a miscellaneous collection of 37 pamphlets about birds. Collected and privately bound by Alvin Seale, 1914. v.p., 1910-1913 url p. 41, p. 44, p. 58.
- Britain's birds and their nests / described by A. Landsborough Thomson; with introduction by J. Arthur Thomson, illustrated by George Rankin. London: W. & R. Chambers, 1910. url p. 123.
- British birds & their eggs: with a new method of identification / London: W. & R. Chambers, 1909. url .
- British birds for cages and aviaries; a hanbook relating to all British birds which may be kept in confinement. .. London, L.U. Gill, 1899. url p. 40, p. 40.
- British birds in their haunts / by the Rev. C. A. Johns; with illustrations on wood, drawn by Wolf, engraved by Whymper. London: Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge, 1867. url p. 326.
- British birds in their haunts / edited, revised and annotated, by J.A. Owen; illustrated with 64 coloured plates (256 figures) by William Foster; with a glossary of common and provincial names and of technical terms. London: G. Routledge url p. 203.
- British birds in their haunts, by the late Rev. C.A. Johns. .. ed., rev., and annotated, by J.A. Owen. .. Illustrated with 64 coloured plates (256 figures) by William Foster. .. With a glossary of common and provincial names and te London, E.P. Dutton & Co., 1909. url p. 203.
- British birds in their haunts. .. Edited, revised, and annotated by J.A. Owen. .. Illustrated with 64 coloured plates by William Foster. With a glossary of common and provincial names and of technical terms. London, Dutton url p. 203.
- British birds with their nests and eggs London, Brumby & Clarke[1896-98] url , .
- British birds' eggs and nests, popularly described. .. S.l.s.n.pref. 1861 url p. 70.
- British birds, London, Longmans, Green, and co., 1921. url p. 258.
- British birds, by W. H. Hudson, C.M.Z.S. With a chapter on structure and classification by Frank E. Beddard, F.R.S. With 8 coloured plates from original drawings by A. Thorburn and 8 plates and 100 figures in black London, Longmans, Green, and co., 1921. url p. 258.
- British birds, by W.H. Hudson, C.M.Z.S. With a chapter on structure and classification by Frank E. Beddard, F. R.S. With 8 coloured plates from original drawings by A. Thorburn and 8 plates and 100 figures in black London, Longmans, Green, and co., 1895. url .
- British birds. London, Witherby & Co. url p. 154, p. 155, p. 185, p. 276, p. 316.
- British birds: key list. London, R. H. Porter, 1892. url p. 42.
- British birds: their haunts and habits. London, Printed for private distribution only, 1868. url p. 46.
- British nesting birds: a complete record of every species which nests in the British Isles / by W. Percival Westell. London: J.M. Dent, 1910. url p. 11, p. 36.
- British oology: being illustrations of the eggs of British birds, with figures of each species, as far as practicable, drawn and coloured from nature: accompanied by descriptions of the materials and situation of th Newcastle upon Tyne: Published for the author by C. Empson, [1833?-1838?] url .
- British zoology. Warrington, Printed by W. Eyres, for B. White, London, 1776-77. url p. 296.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url p. 278, p. 280, p. 402.
- Bulletin / Illinois Natural History Survey. Urbana, State of Illinois, Dept. of Registration and Education, Natural History Survey Division, 1918-1985. url p. 479.
- Bulletin / Peabody Museum of Natural History. 1972 New Haven: Peabody Museum of Natural History, url p. 156, fig. 26, p. 31.
- Bulletin of miscellaneous information. Additional Series. Royal Gardens, Kew. 5 1906 [Kew, Surrey: Royal Botanic Gardens], 1898-1936; url p. 9.
- Bulletin of the American Museum of Natural History. New YorkAmerican Museum of Natural History1881- url p. 33.
- Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History). London: The Museum, 1950-1977. url p. 196, p. 203, p. 217, p. 223, p. 224, p. 27, p. 4, p. 459, p. 7.
- Bulletin of the British Ornithologists' Club. London: The Club, 1893- url , p. 113, p. 129, p. 183, p. 183, p. 27, p. 279, p. 279, p. 57.
- Bulletin of the United States Geological and Geographical Survey of the Territories / Department of the Interior. Washington: Government Printing Office, 1874- url p. 799, p. 803.
- Cassell's natural history. Ed. by P. Martin Duncan. .. London [etc]Cassell & Company, Limited, 1891-96. url p. 196.
- Catalogue of British Birds in the Collection of the British Museum / by G.R. Gray. London, 1863. url p. 120, p. 8.
- Catalogue of British birds in the collection of the British Museum. London, Printed by order of the trustees, 1863. url , .
- Catalogue of museum of natural history and miscellaneous antiquities, curios, &c., collected by Rev. Donald Miller. Bordighera, Italy, Manse Printing Press url p. 23.
- Catalogue of scientific papers (1800-1900) Comp. by the Royal society of London. Cambridge, C. J. Clay and sons, 1867-1902; url p. 210, p. 222, p. 945.
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. Compiled by the Royal Society of London. London, C.J. Clay and Sons, 1867-1902 [etc.] Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1914-25. url p. 210, p. 945.
- Catalogue of the Birds in the British Museum. London, 1874-98. url p. 241, p. 299, p. 302.
- Catalogue of the Collection of Birds' Eggs in the British Museum / By E. W. Oates [and afterwards] by S. G. Reid [and] W. R. Ogilvie-Grant. London, 1901-12. url p. 90.
- Catalogue of the birds of Suffolk, with an introduction and remarks on their distribution. London, J. Van Voorst, 1884-86. url p. 104.
- Catalogue of the collection of birds' eggs in the British museum (Natural history). London: Printed by order of the Trustees, 1901-12. url p. 90.
- Catalogue of the specimens illustrating the osteology of vertebrated animals, recent and extinct, contained in the Museum of the Royal College of Surgeons of England. London, 1891. url p. 148.
- Check-list and bibliography on the occurrence of insects in birds' nests. Ames, Iowa State College Press url p. 200, p. 292, p. 299, p. 301, p. 303, p. 316, p. 388, p. 389.
- Check-list of North American birds, New York, American ornithologists' union, 1910. url .
- Check-list of North American birds: the species of birds of North America from the Arctic through Panama, including the West Indies and Hawaiian Islands / prepared by the Committee on Classification and Nomenclature of the American Orni Lawrence, Kan.: American Ornithologists' Union, 1983. url p. 793.
- Checklists for the CORINE Biotopes Programme and its application in the PHARE countries of Central and East Europe: including comparisons with relevant conventions and agreements on the conservation of European species and habitats EC url p. 14.
- Coloured figures of the birds of the British Islands / issued by Lord Lilford. London: R. H. Porter, 1885-1897. url p. 8, p. 81.
- Coloured figures of the eggs of British birds: with descriptive notices / by Henry Seebohm; edited (after the author's death) by R. Bowdler Sharpe. Sheffield: Pawson and Brailsford, 1896. url , p. 157.
- Common weeds of the farm & garden / by Harold C. Long in collaboration with John Percival. New York: Frederick A. Stokes, 1910. url p. 430.
- Condition and doings of the Boston Society of Natural History as exhibited by the annual reports. Boston url p. 23.
- Controlled natural selection and value marketing, by J. C. Mottram. London, New York [etc.], Longmans, Green and Co., 1914. url p. 118, p. 96.
- Country rambles, and Manchester walks and wild flowers: being rural wanderings in Cheshire, Lancashire, Derbyshire, & Yorkshire, by Leo H. Grindon. Manchester, Palmer & Howe, 1882. url p. 275.
- Descriptive catalogue of the osteological series contained in the museum. .. by Richard Owen. London, Taylor and Francis, 1853. url p. 276.
- Edinburgh journal of natural history and of the physical sciences. Edinburgh [etc.]: Published for the proprietor [etc.], 1835-1840. url p. 177.
- Elements of natural history, adapted to the present state of the science, containing the generic characters of nearly the whole animal kingdom, and the descriptions of the principal species. By John Stark. .. Edinburgh: W. Blackwood; [etc., etc.], 1828. url p. 269.
- English cyclopaedia, a new dictionary of universal knowledge, conducted by Charles Knight. London, Bradbury, 1854-61. url .
- Essays on evolution 1889-1907, Oxford, Clarendon press, 1908. url , .
- Essays on evolution 1889-1907, by Edward Bagnall Poulton... Oxford: Claredon Press, 1908. url p. 83.
- Essays on evolution 1889-1907. OxfordClarendon Press1908 url p. 411.
- Experiment station record. Washington: G.P.O., 1889-1946. url p. 83.
- Familiar wild birds / [illustrations by A. Thornburn and others]. London: Cassel, 1903. url .
- Familiar wild birds / by W. Swaysland; with coloured plates. London; New York: Cassell, 1883. url p. 168.
- Fancier's journal. Phila., Pa.: Fancier's Journal Pub. Co., 1888- url .
- Fauna and flora of Haileybury. Hartford, Stephen Austin, 1902. url p. 14.
- Fauna boreali-americana, or, The zoology of the northern parts of British America: containing descriptions of the objects of natural history collected on the late northern land expeditions, under command of Captain Sir John Franklin, R.N. / by John Richardson, surgeon and naturalist to the expeditions; assisted by William Swainson and the Reverend William Kirby. London: J. Murray [etc.], 1829-1837. url p. 349.
- Fauna, flora & geology of the Clyde area, ed. by G.F. Scott Elliot, Malcolm Laurie and J. Barclay Murdoch. Glasgow, Pub. by the local committee for the meeting of the British Association, 1901. url p. 166.
- Feathered friends old and new. London: L. Upcott Gill, 1896. url p. 131, p. 241.
- Fishery bulletin / U.S. Dept. of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, National Marine Fisheries Service. Washington, D.C.: The Service: url p. 149.
- Fleas, flukes & cuckoos; a study of bird parasites, by Miriam Rothschild and Theresa Clay. New York, Macmillan, 1957. url p. 303.
- Flora of Marlborough; with notices of birds and a sketch of the geological features of the neighborhood. .. London, J. Van Voorst, 1863. url p. 114.
- Foreign birds for cage and aviary. By Arthur G. Butler London, "The Feathered world"[191-?] url p. 254.
- Forest birds, their haunts and habits; short studies from nature, by Harry F. Witherby. London, K. Paul, Trench, Trübner & co., ltd., 1894. url p. 42, p. 42.
- Frank Schley's American partridge and pheasant shooting, written by himself, describing the haunts, habits, and methods of hunting and shooting the American partridge; quail; ruffed grouse; pheasant. With directions for handling the gun, hunting the dog, an Frederick, Md., Baughman brothers, 1877. url p. 148.
- Game, shore, and water birds of India, with additional references to their allied species in other parts of the world. London, W. Thacker, 1904. url .
- Genera insectorum / publiés par P. Wytsman. Bruxelles, L. Desmet-Verteneuil [etc.]1902-1970. url p. 32.
- Geographical distribution of British birds / by Henry Seebohm. London: R.H. Porter, 1893. url , p. 32, p. 7.
- Guide to the Gallery of Birds in the Department of Zoology of the British Museum (Natural History). London: Printed by order of the Trustees [by Taylor and Francis], 1905. url p. 165.
- Guide to the birds of the Caucasus. Tiflis, 1907. url p. 85.
- Guide to the gallery of birds in the Department of Zoology, British Museum (Natural History) LondonPrinted by order of the Trustees url p. 30.
- Hampstead Hill: its structure, materials and sculpturing / by J. Logan Lobley; with The flora of Hampstead, by Henry T. Wharton; The insect fauna of Hampstead, by F. A. Walker; and The birds of Hampstead, by J. Edmund Haring. London: Roper and Drowley, 1889. url p. 92.
- Hand-book to the birds of Great Britain. London, Allen, 1894-97. url p. 241, p. 241.
- Handbook and guide to the British birds on exhibition in the Lord Derby Natural History Museum, Liverpool. Liverpool, C. Tinling, 1914. url p. 46.
- Hardwicke's science-gossip: an illustrated medium of interchange and gossip for students and lovers of nature. London: Robert Hardwicke, 1866- url p. 138, p. 140.
- Heligoland as an ornithological observatory; the result of fifty years' experience, Edinburgh, D. Douglas, 1895. url p. 233, p. 445.
- History of animals in ten books. Translated by Richard Cresswell. London, G. Bell, 1902. url p. 324.
- Homes without hands. Being a description of the habitations of animals, classed according to their principle of construction. By the Rev. J.G. Wood. .. With new designs by W.F. Keyl and E. Smith. Engraved by Messrs. Pearson. New York, Harper & Brothers, 1866. url p. 558.
- Homes without hands: being a description of the habitations of animals, classed according to their principle of construction / New York: Harper & Brothers, 1866. url .
- How to sex cage birds (British and foreign), London, "The Feathered world", "Canary and cage-bird life" url p. 146.
- Humboldt; Monatsschrift für die gesamten Naturwissenschaften. Stuttgart, F. Enke, 1882-90. url p. 316.
- Ibis. [London]Published for the British Ornithologists' Union by Academic Press. url p. 107, p. 124, p. 149, p. 151, p. 152, p. 180, p. 185, p. 200, p. 209, p. 214, p. 220, p. 226, p. 25, p. 251, p. 27, p. 285, p. 304, p. 362, p. 379, p. 386, p. 403, p. 452, p. 456, p. 481, p. 489, p. 506, p. 510, p. 516, p. 527, p. 53, p. 538, p. 550, p. 567, p. 577, p. 609, p. 66, p. 682, p. 718, p. 83, p. 86, p. 89.
- Illustrated natural history of the animal kingdom, being a systematic and popular description of the habits, structure, and classification of animals from the highest to the lowest forms, with their r New-YorkDerby & Jackson1859 url p. 226.
- Illustrations of British ornithology. By Prideaux John Selby. Edinburgh: Printed for the proprietor, and pub. by W. H. Lizars; [etc., etc.], 1833. url p. 406.
- Index-catalogue of the birds in the Hancock collection. [Newcastle-upon-Tyne]Printed for the Natural History Society, 1899. url p. 61.
- Indian pigeons and doves / London: Witherby & Co., 1913. url .
- Indian pigeons and doves. By E.C. Stuart Baker. .. With twenty-seven coloured plates from drawings by H. Grönvold and G.E. Lodge. 1913 London, Witherby & Co., 1913. url p. 160.
- Instructions to young sportsmen in all that relates to guns and shooting. London, Printed for Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, and Green, 1830. url p. 220.
- International catalogue of scientific literature. LondonPublished for the International Council by the Royal Society of London1901-1920 url p. 31, p. 90.
- Jenaische Zeitschrift für Naturwissenschaft. Jena, Gustav Fischer [etc.]. url p. 479, p. 62.
- Jottings about birds / by Charles Dixon. London: Chapman and Hall, 1893. url p. 12.
- Knowledge. v. 1-40; Nov. 1881-Dec. 1917. LondonWyman [etc.] url p. 141, p. 274, p. 38.
- Leaves from the note book of a naturalist. By W. J. Broderip. Boston, E. Littell & co., 1852. url p. 130.
- Life and letters of Alexander Goodman More, F.R.S.E., F.L.S., M.R.I.A., with selections from his zoological and botanical writings; ed. by C.B. Moffat, B.A., with a preface by Frances M. More. Dublin, Hodges, Figgis & co. (ltd.)1898. url p. 178, p. 438, p. 594, p. 628.
- Life of a Scotch naturalist, Thomas Edward, associate of the Linnean Society by Samuel Smiles. .. portrait and illustrations by George Reid, R.S.A. London: J. Murray, 1877 url p. 406.
- List of the specimens of birds in the collection of the British Museum. London: Printed by the order of the Trustees, 1848-1856. url p. 26.
- List of the specimens of the British animals in the collection of the British museum. London: Printed by order of the Trustees, 1845-55. url p. 73.
- List of the vertebrated animals living in the gardens of the Zoological Society of London. London: Printed for the Society, 1862. url p. 60.
- List of the vertebrated animals now or lately living in the gardens of the Zoological Society of London. London, Printed for the Society, 1896. url p. 459.
- London birds and London insects and other sketches. London, H. Porter, 1892. url p. iii.
- Lord Lilford on birds: being a collection of informal and unpublished writings by the late president of the British Ornithologists' Union. With contributed papers upon falconry and otter hunting, his favourite sports. Edited by Aubyn Trevor-Battye and illustrated by Archibald Thorburn. London, Hutchinson, 1903. url p. 279.
- Loudon's Natural History. Popular descriptions, tales and anecdotes of more than five hundred animals. London, G. Bell and sons, 1889. url .
- MAB Biosphere Reserves: Site Descriptions, post compilation 5 (October 1990) UNESCO MAB Programme url .
- Magazine of zoology and botany. Edinburgh; Dublin. url p. 397.
- Manual of British birds: including the essential characteristics of the orders, families, genera, and species. London: Printed for Adam Scott, 1846. url p. 226.
- Mind in animals. London: Freethought pub. co., 1880. url p. 18.
- Miscellaneous tracts relating to natural history, husbandry, and physick. To which is added The calendar of flora. London: R. and J. Dodsley, S. Baker, and T. Payne, 1762. url p. 291.
- Monographia anoplurorum Britanniae or An essay on the British species of parasitic insects belonging to the order of Anoplura of Leach, with the modern divisions of the general according to the views of Leach, Nitzsch, and Burmeister, by Henry Denny. . London: H. G. Bohn, 1842 url p. 132, p. 51.
- My life as a naturalist, by W. Percival Westell. London, Cecil Palmer and Hayward[c1918] url p. 99.
- Natural history: birds / by P.H. Gosse. London: printed for the Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge [by S. & J. Bentley, Wilson, and Fley], 1849. url p. 220.
- Nature. London, etc., Macmillan Journals Ltd., etc. url p. 112, p. 314, p. 487.
- Notes of an east coast naturalist; a series of observations made at odd times during a period of twenty-five years in the neighborhood of Great Yarmouth. By Arthur H. Patterson. .. Illustrated in colour by F. Southgate. London, Methuen & co. url p. 111.
- Notes on sport and ornithology, by his imperial and royal highness the late crown prince Rudolph of Austria. Tr with the author's permission, by C. G. Danford. London, Gurney and Jackson, 1889. url p. 610.
- Notes on sport and ornithology. Translated with the author's permission, by C. G. Danford. London, Gurney and Jackson, 1889. url p. 610.
- Notes on the birds of Herefordshire, contributed by members of the Woolhope Club. Collected and arranged by the late Henry Graves Bull.
- Notes on the birds of Northamptonshire and neighbourhood / Lord Lilford; illustrated by A. Thorburn and G.E. Lodge. London: Porter, 1895. url p. 227, p. 276.
- Notes on the birds of Rainham, including the district between Chatham and Sittingbourne. London, Curney & Jackson, 1894. url p. 52.
- Observations in natural history: with an introduction on habits of observing, as connected with the study of that science; also a calendar of periodic phenomena in natural history; with remarks on the importance of such registers / by the Rev. Leonard Jenyns. London: John van Voorst, 1846. url p. 89.
- On the birds of the islands of Aruba, Curaçao, and Bonaire / by Ernst Hartert. London?: s.n., 1893 url p. 323.
- On the fauna and flora of the west of Scotland. Meeting at Glasgow, September, 1876. Glasgow, Blackie, 1876 url p. 9.
- Oologia neerlandica: eggs of birds breeding in the Netherlands / by A.A. van Pelt Lechner. The Hague: Nijhoff, 1910-1913 [i.e. 1911-1913]. url , .
- Ootheca Wolleyana: an illustrated catalogue of the collection of birds' eggs, begun by the late John Wolley, jun.. .. and continued with additions, by the editor, Alfred Newton. .. London, sold by R. H. Porter, 1864-1907. url .
- Ornithological miscellany / 1 1876 London: Trübner and Co., Bernard Quaritch, R.H. Porter, 1876-1878. url p. 100, p. 303, p. 95, p. 95.
- Ornithological rambles in Sussex: with a systematic catalogue of the birds of that country, and remarks on their local distribution / by A.E. Knox. London:J. Van Voarst, 1850. url p. 219.
- Ornithologisches Centralblatt. Leipzig: L.A. Kittler, 1876-82. url p. 106, p. 107, p. 150, p. 20, p. 26, p. 39, p. 52, p. 61.
- Our country's birds and how to know them. A guide to all the birds of Great Britain. London, Simpkin, Marshall, Hamilton, Kent[1892?] url , , , .
- Our resident birds and how to know them / E.F.M. Elms. London: T. Butterworth,  url p. 50, p. 50.
- Pigeons / by Prideaux John Selby. Edinburgh: W. H. Lizars; [etc., etc., 1845?] url , p. 133.
- Pliny's Natural history. In thirty-seven books. A translation on the basis of that by Dr. Philemon Holland, edited 1601. .. Edited by the Wernerian club. [London]Printed for the Club by G. Barclay, 1847-49. url p. 224.
- Popular science news, formerly Boston journal of chemistry. A popular illustrated monthly devoted to the progress in zoology, botany, mineralogy, archaeology, hygiene, invention, with related physical sciences and general v. 1-36; July 1866-Dec. 1902. Boston, J.R. Nichols & co. [etc.]1866-; New York, W. O. Allison [etc., 1894]-1902. url p. 118.
- Posthumous works of Charles Otis Whitman, professor of zoo?logy in the University of Chicago, 1892-1910; director of Marine biological laboratory at Woods Hole, 1888-1908, edited by Oscar Riddle. .. Washington, The Carnegie Institution of Washington, 1919. url , p. 102, p. 106, p. 108, p. 109, p. 213, p. 215, p. 59.
- Posthumous works, ed. by Oscar Riddle. Washington, Carnegie Inst., 1919. url , , , , , , , , .
- Pre-historic times, as illustrated by ancient remains and the manners and customs of modern savages, by Sir John Lubbock, bart. New York, D. Appleton and company, 1892. url p. 205.
- Proceedings - Dorset Natural History and Archaeological Society. Dorchester, Eng. url p. 166.
- Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington. Washington, Biological Society of Washington url p. 227.
- Proceedings of the Boston Society of Natural History. Boston [etc.]Boston Society of Natural History. url p. 206.
- Proceedings of the Bristol Naturalists' Society. Bristol: The Society, 1863-1912. url p. 373.
- Proceedings of the International Ornithological Congress. [Canberra, etc.]Australian Academy of Science [etc.] url p. 238, p. 941.
- Proceedings of the Natural History Society of Glasgow. Glasgow, Natural History Society of Glasgow. url , , , p. 103, p. 303, p. 58.
- Proceedings of the Royal Irish Academy. Dublin: Royal Irish Academy, 1841- url p. 32, p. 407.
- Proceedings of the Royal Physical Society of Edinburgh. Edinburgh: The Society, 1858-1955 url p. 408.
- Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London. London: Academic Press, [etc.], 1833-1965. url p. 1035, p. 195, p. 195, p. 258, p. 691, p. 697, p. 709, p. 716.
- Proceedings. Dorchester [etc.] url p. 166, p. 261, p. 271.
- Protected Landscapes: experience around the world. Prepared for the International Symposium on Protected Landscapes, Grange-over-Sands, England 5-10 October 1987 IUCN url p. 363.
- Rambles of a naturalist round Folkestone: with occasional papers on the fauna and flora of the district, to which are added lists of plants, lepidoptera, birds, and land and freshwater shells / by Henry Ullyett. Folkestone: J. English, 1880. url p. 153.
- Report of the Secretary of the Smithsonian Institution and financial report of the Executive Committee of the Board of Regents for the year ending June 30. .. Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution, 1933-1965. url p. 100, p. 42, p. 83, p. 96.
- Reports of the Princeton University Expeditions to Patagonia, 1896-1899. J. B. Hatcher in charge. Edited by William B. Scott. Princeton, The University, 1901-32 [v. 1, 1903] url p. 33.
- Reptiles and birds. A popular account of the various orders; with a description of the habits and economy of the most interesting. Springfield, Mass., W. J. Holland & co. [pref.1869] url .
- Revised list of the vertebrated animals now or lately living in the gardens of the Zoological society of London. 1872. London, Printed for the Society,  url p. 260.
- Revue méthodique et critique des collections déposées dans cet établissement. Leyden, Rijksmuseum van Natuurlijke Historie. url p. 338, p. 88.
- Scenes and tales of country life with recollections of natural history / by Edward Jesse. London: J. Murray, 1844. url p. 170.
- Sketch-book of British birds / by R. Bowdler Sharpe; with coloured illustrations by A.F. and C. Lydon. London: Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge, 1898. url p. 247.
- Smithsonian miscellaneous collections. 144 1962 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1862-1968. url p. 44.
- Smithsonian scientific series. New York: Smithsonian Institution Series, Inc., -32. url p. 351.
- Somerset archaeology and natural history: the proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. Taunton: Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. url p. 168.
- Special scientific report--wildlife / U.S. Department of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service. Washington, D.C.: The Service, 1949- url p. 130, p. 15, p. 24, p. 547, p. 553, p. 557, p. 90.
- Strange dwellings: being a description of the habitations of animals, abridged from 'Homes without hand' / by J.G. Wood; with designs by W.F. Keyl, J.B. Zwecker, and E. Smith. London: Longmans, Green, 1903. url p. 339.
- Stray feathers. Journal of ornithology for India and its dependencies. Calcutta: s.n., 1872-1899. url p. 136, p. 539.
- Studies in bird migration, London, Gurney and Jackson; [etc., etc.]1912. url , .
- Studies in bird migration, by William Eagle Clarke. .. with maps, weather charts, and other illustrations. .. London, Gurney and Jackson; [etc., etc.]1912. url p. 331.
- Supplement to the General synopsis of birds London: Printed for Leigh & Sotheby. .., 1787. url .
- Ten years in Sweden: being a description of the landscape, climate, domestic life, forests, mines, agriculture, field sports and fauna of Scandinavia. London, Groombridge and sons, 1865. url .
- Territory in bird life / by H. Eliot Howard; with illustrations by G.E. Lodge, and H. Grönvold. London: Murray, 1920. url .
- Text book of zoology London, Sampson Low, Marston, 1896. url .
- The Annals and magazine of natural history; zoology, botany, and geology being a continuation of the Annals combined with Loudon and Charlesworth's Magazine of Natural History. London, Taylor and Francis, Ltd. url p. 13, p. 186, p. 25, p. 322, p. 426, p. 434, p. 434, p. 76.
- The Annals of Scottish natural history. Edinburgh: David Douglas, 1892-1911. url p. 115, p. 118, p. 134, p. 139, p. 141, p. 146, p. 147, p. 155, p. 163, p. 164, p. 164, p. 178, p. 179, p. 183, p. 183, p. 186, p. 199, p. 199, p. 200, p. 201, p. 206, p. 21, p. 21, p. 210, p. 211, p. 213, p. 214, p. 214, p. 215, p. 249, p. 26, p. 72, p. 77, p. 77, p. 80, p. 83, p. 97.
- The Auk. Washington, D.C.: American Ornithologists' Union, etc., 1884- url p. 309, p. 337, p. 415, p. 454, p. 501, p. 615.
- The Avicultural magazine. Ascot, Berkshire, etc.: Avicultural Society, etc. url p. 251.
- The Biological bulletin. Woods Hole, Mass.: Marine Biological Laboratory, url p. 315.
- The Canadian naturalist and quarterly journal of science: with proceedings of the Natural History Society of Montreal. Montreal: Dawson, 1869-1883. url p. 30.
- The Entomological magazine. London: Frederick Westley and A.H. Davis, 1833-1838 url p. 266, p. 290, p. 290.
- The Entomologist. London: Simpkin, Marshall & Co., [1877- url p. 297.
- The Garden: an illustrated weekly journal of gardening in all its branches. London: [s.n., url p. 402.
- The Gardeners' chronicle and agricultural gazette. London: published for the proprietors, 1844-1873. url p. 1014.
- The Glasgow naturalist. Glasgow, Andersonian Naturalists of Glasgow. url p. 133, p. 24.
- The Ibis. [London]: Published for the British Ornithologists' Union by Academic Press. url p. 83.
- The Irish naturalist. Dublin: Eason & Son, Ltd., 1892- url p. 132, p. 27.
- The Journal of the Bombay Natural History Society. Bombay: The Society, url p. 102, p. 945.
- The Marine Mammal Commission compendium of selected treaties, international agreements, and other relevant documents on marine resources, wildlife, and the environment / compiled by Richard L. Wallace. Washington, D.C.: The Commission; 1994 url p. 691.
- The Naturalist. 1896 [Doncaster: Yorkshire Naturalists' Union], 1874- url p. 10, p. 104, p. 104, p. 117, p. 128, p. 131, p. 135, p. 137, p. 14, p. 142, p. 143, p. 150, p. 151, p. 165, p. 168, p. 187, p. 192, p. 197, p. 225, p. 26, p. 285, p. 323, p. 340, p. 44.
- The Oo?logist for the student of birds, their nests and eggs. Albion, N.Y.: Frank H. Lattin, 1886- url p. 14.
- The Riverside natural history. Boston and New York, Houghton, Mifflin and company[c1888] url p. 184, p. 253.
- The Scottish naturalist. Arbroath [etc.]T. Buncle & Co. [etc.] url p. 218.
- The Scottish naturalist. Perth [etc.]: Cowan & Co. [etc.], url p. 153, p. 9.
- The Victoria history of Berkshire. edited by P.H. Ditchfield and William Page. [LondonConstable]1906-1923 url p. 159.
- The Victoria history of the County of Hertford / edited by William Page. London: Published for the University of London, Institute of Historical Research by Dawsons of Pall Mall,  url , .
- The Victoria history of the county of Warwick. London: Published for the University of London Institute of Historical Research by Dawsons of Pall Mall, 1965- url p. 202.
- The Zoological journal. London: W. Phillips, 1824- url p. 91.
- The aquatic birds of Great Britain and Ireland. London: R. H. Porter, 1906. url p. 162.
- The biology of birds / by J. Arthur Thomson. New York: Macmillan, 1923. url p. 436.
- The bird-life of London / by Charles Dixon, with illustrations in colour and black and white. London: W. Heinemann, 1909. url .
- The birds of Africa, comprising all the species which occur in the Ethiopian region, by G.E. Shelley. .. London, Published for the author by R.H. Porter (18 Princes Street, Cavendish Square, W.), 1896-1912. url p. 135.
- The birds of Berkshire and Buckinghamshire: a contribution to the natural history of the two counties / by Alexander W. M. Clark Kennedy. Eton: Ingalton and Drake; 1868. url p. 54.
- The birds of Berwickshire; with remarks on their local distribution migration, and habits, and also on the folk-lore, proverbs, popular rhymes and sayings connected with them, by George Muirhead. .. Edinburgh, David Douglas, 1889-95. url p. 338.
- The birds of Breconshire / by E. Cambridge Phillips. .. Brecon [Eng.]: E. Davies, 1899. url p. 145, p. 72.
- The birds of Britain: their distribution and habits / Cambridge [England]: Cambridge University Press, 1916. url , .
- The birds of Guernsey: and the neighboring islands Alderney, Sark, Jethou, Herm; being a small contribution to the ornithology of the Channel Islands / by Cecil Smith. London: R. H. Porter, 1879. url p. 108, p. 111.
- The birds of London / London: Sonnenschein, 1893. url p. 88.
- The birds of Middlesex. A contribution to the natural history of the county. By James Edmund Harting, F.Z.S. London: J. Van Voorst, 1866. url p. 132.
- The birds of Norfolk, with remarks on their habits, migration, and local distribution: by Henry Stevenson. London: J. Van Voorst, 1866-1890. url p. 351, p. 351.
- The birds of Norfolk: with remarks on their habits, migration, and local distribution / by Henry Stevenson. London: J. Van Voorst, 1866-1890. url p. 351.
- The birds of North and Middle America: a descriptive catalogue of the higher groups, genera, species, and subspecies of birds known to occur in North America, from the Arctic lands to the Isthmus of Panama, the West Indies and other island Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1901- url .
- The birds of Pembrokeshire and its islands / by Murray A. Mathew. London [England]: R.H. Porter, 1894. url p. 75.
- The birds of Somersetshire. London, John van Voorst, 1869. url p. 293.
- The birds of Sussex, London, R.H. Porter, 1891. url .
- The birds of Tunisia; being a history of the birds found in the regency of Tunis. By J. I. S. Whitaker. London, R.H. Porter, 1905. url p. 226.
- The birds of Wiltshire. Comprising all the periodical and occasional visitants, as well as those which are indigenous to the county. By the Rev. Alfred Charles Smith. .. Devizes, H.F. Bull, 1887. url .
- The birds of Yorkshire: being a historical account of the avi-fauna of the county / by T. H. Nelson; with the co-operation of W. Eagle Clarke and F. Boyes. London: A. Brown, 1907. url p. 487, p. 488.
- The birds of our country. London, Digby, Long & Co., 1898. url p. 194.
- The birds of our country. With illus. by A. Thorburn, J. Giacomelli, G.E. Lodge, K. Keyl, and R. Kretschmer. London, Digby, Long, 1897. url p. 194.
- The birds of the west of Scotland: including the outer Hebrides, with occasional records of the occurrence of the rarer species throughout Scotland generally / by Robert Gray. Glasgow: T. Murray & Son, 1871. url p. 213.
- The book of nature study, ed. by J. Bretland Farmer. .. assisted by a staff of specialists. Fully illustrated. London, Caxton publishing company[1908?]-1909. url p. 210.
- The complete English wing shot, by G.T. Teasdale-Buckell. With fifty-three illustrations. London, McClure, Phillips;1907. url p. 347.
- The faculties of birds. London: Charles Knight, . 22, Ludgate Street, 1835. url p. 321.
- The fauna of Shropshire, being an account of all the mammals, birds, reptiles & fishes found in the county of Salop. With an introduction dealing with the physical features of the county, a copious index, a chapter on the pri Illustrated by photographic plates and portraits. By H. Edward Forrest. Shrewsbury, L. Wilding [etc. etc.]1899. url p. 151.
- The feathered tribes of the British Islands / by Robert Mudie. London: H.G. Bohn, 1854. url p. 432, p. 437.
- The flora of Harrow: by J. Cosmo Melvill. Harrow, Green and Co.;1876. url p. 150.
- The food of some British wild birds: a study in economic ornithology. By Walter E. Collinge. .. London: Dulau & Co., 1913. url p. 106, p. 4, p. 66, p. 81, p. vii.
- The fundus oculi of birds, especially as viewed by the ophthalmoscope; a study in the comparative anatomy and physiology, by Casey Albert Wood. Illustrated by 145 drawings in the text; also by sixty-one colored paintings prepared for this work by Arthur W. Head. .. Chicago, The Lakeside Press, 1917. url , , p. 44, p. 50, p. 69.
- The game birds and wild fowl of the British Islands. Sheffield, Pawson & Brailsford, 1900. url , , .
- The geology of Arran and the other Clyde islands with an account of the botany, natural history, and antiquities, notices of the scenery and an itinerary of the routes, by James Bryce. .. GlasgowW. Collins, sons, and company, 1872. url p. 302.
- The grouse in health and in disease, being the final report of the Committee of inquiry on grouse disease. London, Smith, Elder & co., 1911. url p. 363.
- The gun; afield & afloat. London, Chapman, 1904. url p. 170.
- The history of Glanville's Wootton, in the County of dorset, including its zoology and botany / by C.W. Dale. London, Hatchards, 1878. url p. 36.
- The history of the borough, castle, and barony of Alnwick, by George Tate. .. Alnwick, H.H. Blair, 1866-69. url .
- The illustrated natural history. By the Rev. J. G. Wood. .. With new designs by Wolf, Zwecker, Weir, Coleman, Harvey, etc., etc., engr. by the brothers Dalziel. .. London, Routledge, Warne and Routledge-63. url p. 581.
- The land birds in and around St. Andrews: including a condensed history of the British land birds, with extracts from the poets and observations and anecdotes on natural history / by George Bruce. Dundee [Scotland]: John Leng & Co., 1895. url p. 533.
- The migration of birds: an attempt to reduce avian season-flight to law / by Charles Dixon. London: Chapman and Hall, 1892. url p. 22.
- The natural history and antiquities of Selborne, in the county of Southampton / by the Rev. Gilbert White London: Swan Sonnenschein, 1888 url , , .
- The natural history of animals: the animal life of the world in its various aspects and relations, London, The Gresham Publishing Company, 1903-04. url .
- The natural history of the birds of Ireland, indigenous and migratory: containing descriptions of the habits, migrations, occurrence, and economy, of the 261 species comprised in the Fauna / by John J. Watters. Dublin: J. McGlashan, 1853. url p. 120, p. 279.
- The naturalist in Norway: or, Notes on the wild animals, birds, fishes, and plants of that country. .. / by Rev. J. Bowden. London: L. Reeve & Co., 1869. url p. 140.
- The naturalist in Siluria (Herefordshire, Radnorshire, Brecknockshire and Glamorganshire). By Captain Mayne Reid. .. Philadelphia, Gebbie & Co., 1890. url p. 21, p. 7.
- The naturalist's library. Conducted by Sir William Jardine. Edinburgh, W. H. Lizars; [etc., etc.]1833- url , , p. 133, p. 60.
- The naturalist. London: Simpkin, Marshall, 1865- url p. 154, p. 168, p. 169, p. 217, p. 250, p. 251, p. 291, p. 331, p. 341.
- The nests and eggs of British birds: when and where to find them: being a handbook to the oology of the British Islands / by Charles Dixon. London: Chapman and Hall, 1894. url , p. 344.
- The oist. Albion, N.Y.: Frank H. Lattin, 1886-1941. url p. 14.
- The ornithology of the Straits of Gibraltar / by L. Howard L. Irby. London: R.H. Porter, 1895. url p. 232.
- The passenger pigeon in Pennsylvania, its remarkable history, habits and extinction, with interesting side lights on the folk and forest lore of the Alleghenian region of the old Keystone state, by John C. French, with chapters by Samuel N. Rhoads, Dr. B. H. Warren, Henry W. Shoemaker, Charles H. Eldon, James V. Bennett, John H. Chatham, and others. Altoona, Pa., Altoona tribune company, 1919. url p. 78.
- The protection of woodlands against dangers arising from organic and inorganic causes. As rearranged for the fourth ed. of Kauschinger's Waldschutz. Authorised translation, with numerous notes by John Nisbet EdinburghD. Douglas1893 url p. 105.
- The river-side naturalist; notes on the various forms of life met with either in, on, or by the water, or in its immediate vicinity. Illus. with numerous woodcuts. London, Low, Marston, Searle, & Rivington, 1890. url p. 149.
- The sportsman's British bird book / by R. Lydekker. London: Rowland Ward, 1908. url p. 23.
- The standard natural history. Ed. by John Sterling Kingsley. Boston, S.E. Cassino and company, 1884-85. url p. 184, p. 253.
- The variation of animals and plants under domestication / by Charles Darwin. London: J. Murray, 1885. url p. 442.
- The world's birds a simple and popular classification of the birds of the world, by Frank Finn. With over 50 illustrations from photographs (mostly taken from living specimens) and outline figures in the text. London: Hutchinson & co., 1908. url p. 137.
- Third American edition of the British encyclopedia, or Dictionary of arts and sciences: comprising an accurate and popular view of the present improved state of human knowledge / by William Nicholson. Philadelphia: Mitchell, Ames and White, 1818. url .
- Transactions of the Essex Field Club. Buckhurst Hill, Essex: The Club, 1880-1886. url p. 24.
- Transactions of the Natural History Society of Glasgow. Glasgow, The Society. url p. 181.
- Transactions of the Zoological Society of London. [London]: Published for the Zoological Society of London by Academic Press url p. 161, p. 168, p. 168, p. 174, p. 174, p. 185, p. 185, p. 192, p. 192, p. 192, p. 192, p. 193, p. 371, p. 371, p. 77, p. 77.
- Travels of a naturalist in northern Europe, Norway, 1871, Archangel, 1872, Petchora, 1875, London, T. F. Unwin, 1905. url p. 120, p. 540.
- Turner on birds; a short and succinct history of the principal birds notices by Pliny and Artistotle, Cambridge, University press, 1903. url .
- University of Kansas publications, Museum of Natural History. 12 1963 Lawrence, University of Kansas. url p. 525.
- Zoological classification; a handy book of reference with tables of the subkingdoms, classes, orders, etc., of the animal kingdom, their characters and lists of the families and principal genera. London, J. Van Voorst, 1880. url p. 227.
- Zoologische Jahrbücher. Abteilung für Anatomie und Ontogenie der Tiere Jena [Germany]:G. Fischer, c -1993. url p. 404.
- Zoologische Jahrbücher. Jena [Germany]: G. Fischer, 1910-1993. url p. 280, p. 347.
- Zoologist. London.1843-1916 url p. 11, p. 137, p. 137, p. 154, p. 161, p. 17, p. 215, p. 241, p. 241, p. 2768, p. 28, p. 309, p. 3692, p. 389, p. 416, p. 43, p. 466, p. 503, p. 55, p. 6843, p. 7813.
- [Ornithological papers] 1876-84. url p. 193, p. 220, p. 25, p. 379.
- BirdLife International 2009. Columba palumbus. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloadedon 31January2012.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 9, 2012.
- IUCN 2012. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. . Downloaded on January 28, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal December 06, 2007:
- Biologiezentrum der Oberoesterreichischen Landesmuseen, Biologiezentrum Linz
- Botanic Garden and Botanical Museum Berlin-Dahlem, GEO Biodiversity Day
- Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility, Provincial Museum of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada. Birds
- Museum of Vertebrate Zoology, Terrestrial vertebrate specimens
- UK National Biodiversity Network, Environment and Heritage Service - EHS Species Datasets
- UK National Biodiversity Network, Herts Bird Club - Hertfordshire Breeding Bird Atlas : 1988-1992
- University of Michigan Museum of Zoology
- , Bird specimens
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 9307
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-177103
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 2481685
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 177103
- IUCN ID: 201536
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 147451