The Northern flicker, also known as the redshafted flicker, yellow-shafted
flicker, or gilded-shafted flicker, is a foot-long bird. You can
see its white rump
and its red markings under its wings
when it flies. It has a unique way, when disturbed
, of bowing and
swinging its body back and forth on an elevated
Flickers have a black crescent across the chest and many round black patches on their feathers . The male has a red “mustache;” the female a brown one. These birds often feed on the ground and hop awkwardly. In flight they are slow and erratic.
Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Dutch:
Common Names in English:
boreal flicker, Clape, common flicker, gilded woodpecker, Golden Winged Woodpecker, golden-winged woodpecker, Guadalupe flicker, High Hole, high-holder, High-hole, Malherbe's flicker, Mearns' flicker, Northern Flicker, northwestern flicker, Pigeon Woodpecker, red-hammer, red-shafted flicker, red-shafted woodpecker, San Fernando flicker, San Pedro flicker, southern flicker, Wake up, wake-up, wick-up, Yarup, Yellow Hammer, Yellow-shafted flicker, Yellow-shafted woodpecker, Yucker
Common Names in French:
Common Names in German:
Common Names in Japanese:
Common Names in Spanish:
Carpintero de pechera, Carpintero Dorado
Common Names in Swedish:
Adult : Head : Crown: gray patch ; red crescent on back Face : tan Forehead: gray Mustachial Stripe : black Neck: Nape: gray Body: Back: brown with black barring Underparts: buff-white with heavy black spotting.
Two color forms, formerly separate species:
"Yellow-shafted" Breeds in eastern United States and Canada · Tail and underwings are entirely yellow below, and retricies and primaries have yellow shafts · Red crescent on nape · Gray cap and nape · Tan face , chin, and throat · Adult male has black whisker ·
"Red-shafted" Breeds in western United States and Canada · Tail and underwings are entirely red below, and retricies and primaries have red shafts · Brown crown · Gray face · Adult male has red whisker
About 12.75 to 14 inches long, with a wingspan of 19 to 21 inches. Adults weigh about 4.8 ounces .
Vegetation: arid lowland scrubs, tropical lowland evergreen forest, pine forests, tropical lowland evergreen forest, pine-oak forests, gallery forests • Maximum Elevation: 3,500 meters • Foraging Strata: Canopy • Center of Abundance: Middle montane: mountains, middle range, 1,600-2,600 m. • Sensitivity to Disturbance: Low
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 3,793 meters (0 to 12,444 feet).
List of Habitats
- 1 Forest
- 1.1 Forest - Boreal
- 1.4 Forest - Temperate
- 1.5 Forest - Subtropical/Tropical Dry
- 1.6 Forest - Subtropical/Tropical Moist Lowland
- 1.7 Forest - Subtropical/Tropical Mangrove Vegetation Above High Tide Level
- 1.9 Forest - Subtropical/Tropical Moist Montane
- 14 Artificial/Terrestrial
- 14.1 Artificial/Terrestrial - Arable Land
- 14.2 Artificial/Terrestrial - Pastureland
- 14.5 Artificial/Terrestrial - Urban Areas [more info]
Mostly insects, with some fruit. Ants comprise at least 50 percent of a flicker’s diet .
of five to 10 white eggs
is laid in a tree
made in a pole
or building (humans may consider them a nuisance
when that occurs). Nests
can be found from low elevations
up to timberline.
The clutch is relatively large.
Nests from early April to late July in marginal habitats of woods , fields , and suburban areas.
Nest Type: Cavity Clutch Size: 3-10 Length of Incubation : 11-14? days Days to Fledge : 25-28 Number of Broods: 1, 2 in south
Most do not migrate
Flickers are prey for goshawks, Cooper’s hawks, and prairie falcons. 
You may hear a bird singing, “Wick, wick, wick,” or sounding a squeaky “Flicka, flicka.”
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Bateson, 1885
- Cuvier, 1812
- Jawed Vertebrates
- Goodrich, 1930
- Linnaeus, 1758
- Gauthier, 1986
- (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Pycraft, 1900
- Sibley et al., 1988
- Meyer & Wolf, 1810
- Suborder: Pici () - Meyer & Wolf, 1810
- Order: Piciformes () - Meyer & Wolf, 1810
- Superorder: Passerimorphae () - Sibley et al., 1988
- Cohort: Neognathae () - Pycraft, 1900
- Infraclass: Aves () - (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Subclass: Avialae () - Gauthier, 1986
- Class: Aves () - Linnaeus, 1758
- Superclass: Tetrapoda () - Goodrich, 1930
- Infraphylum: Gnathostomata () - auct. - Jawed Vertebrates
- Subphylum: Vertebrata () - Cuvier, 1812 - Vertebrates
- Phylum: Chordata () - Bateson, 1885 - Chordates
- Infrakingdom: Chordonia () - (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Deuterostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Colaptes auratus (Linnaeus, 1758)
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 27-Dec-2005
Members of the genus Colaptes
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 30 species and subspecies in this genus:
C. atricollis (Black-Necked Woodpecker) · C. atricollis atricollis (Black-Necked Woodpecker) · C. auratus (Yellow-Shafted Woodpecker) · C. auratus auratus (Northern Flicker) · C. auratus borealis (Northern Flicker) · C. auratus brunnescens (Northern Flicker) · C. auratus cafer (Northern Flicker) · C. auratus chrysoides (Northern Flicker) · C. auratus collaris (Northern Flicker) · C. auratus luteus (Northern Flicker) · C. auratus mearnsi (Northern Flicker) · C. auratus nanus (Northern Flicker) · C. auratus rufipileus (Northern Flicker) · C. auricularis (Gray-Crowned Woodpecker) · C. cafer (Wallacean Cuckoo Shrike) · C. campestris (Campo Flicker) · C. campestris campestris (Campo Flicker) · C. campestroides (Field Flicker) · C. chrysoides (Gilded Flicker) · C. fernandinae (Cuban Flicker) · C. melanochloros (Green Barred Woodpecker) · C. melanochloros melanochloros (Green Barred Woodpecker) · C. pitius (Chilean Flicker) · C. pitius pitius (Chilean Flicker) · C. punctigula (Spot-Breasted Woodpecker) · C. punctigula punctigula (Spot-Breasted Woodpecker) · C. rivolii (Crimson-Mantled Woodpecker) · C. rubiginosus (Golden-Olive Woodpecker) · C. rupicola (Andean Flicker) · C. rupicola rupicola (Andean Flicker)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A List of British birds / London: British Ornithologists' Union, 1915. url , .
- A bird-lover in the West / by Olive Thorne Miller [pseud.] Boston; Houghton, Mifflin, 1900. url .
- A checklist of the vertebrate animals of Kansas / George D. Potts, Joseph T. Collins. [Lawrence, Kan.]: Museum of Natural History, University of Kansas, 1991. url p. 13.
- A comparison of the animal communities of coniferous and deciduous forests, Urbana, Ill., c1927 url p. 113.
- A concise handbook of British birds / H. Kirke Swann. London: J. Wheldon, 1896. url p. 209.
- A dictionary of birds, by Alfred Newton, assisted by Hans Gadow, with contributions from Richard Lydekker. .. Charles S. Roy. .. and Robert W. Shufeldt. .. London, A. and C. Black, 1893-1896. url p. 258.
- A distributional list of the birds of Arizona / Hollywood, Calif.: Cooper Ornithological Club, 1914. url , .
- A faunal investigation of Prince Edward County, Ontario / Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 1941. url p. 63.
- A faunal investigation of the Sault Ste. Marie region, Ontario / [Toronto]: Royal Ontario Museum, 1942. url p. 132.
- A faunal investigation of western Rainy River District, Ontario / [Toronto: Royal Ontario Museum of Zoology], 1938. url p. 191.
- A hand-list of British birds, with an account of the distribution of each species in the British Isles and abroad. By Ernst Hartert, F. C. R. Jourdain, N. F. Ticehurst and H. F. Withersby. London, Witherby, 1912. url p. 102, p. 223.
- A handbook of British birds, showing the distribution of the resident and migratory species in the British islands, with an index to the records of the rarer visitants, by J.E. Harting. .. London, J.C. Nimmo, 1901. url p. 511.
- A history of North American birds / by S. F. Baird, T. M. Brewer, and R. Ridgway. Boston: Little, Brown, 1905. url p. 563, p. 575, p. 582, p. ii.
- A history of the birds of Colorado, London, Witherby & Co., 1912. url , .
- A list of British birds, comp. by a committee of the British ornithologists' union. London: British ornithologists' union, 1915. url p. 331, p. 409.
- A list of European birds, including all those found in the western palaearctic area, with a supplement containing species said to have occurred, but which, for various reasons, are inadmissible. London, R.H. Porter, 1898. url p. 63.
- A list of the birds of Florida / by Charles B. Cory. Boston: For sale by B. Whidden, 1896. url p. 15.
- A list of the birds of Maine, showing their distribution by counties and their status in each county. Prepared under the auspices of the United ornithologists of Maine by Ora W. Knight. .. Augusta, Kennebec journal print, 1897. url p. 166.
- A list of the birds of Maryland / F.C. Kirkwood. Baltimore, Md., 1895. url p. 314.
- A list of the birds of Maryland, giving dates of the arrival, departure and nesting periods of our regular birds; also including stragglers and such others as no doubt occur but are not recorded. By F.C. Kirkwood. .. Baltimore: [Maryland Academy of Sciences], 1895. url p. 314, p. 314, p. 376, p. 376.
- A list of the birds of Maryland: giving dates of the arrival, departure and nesting periods of our regular birds, also including stragglers and such others as no doubt occur but are not recorded / Baltimore: Deutsch Lithographing & Print. Co.; 1895. url , .
- A list of the birds of New Hampshire. By Glover M. Allen. Manchester, N.H., Nature Study press, 1903. url p. 115.
- A list of the birds of eastern North America / by Charles B. Cory. Boston: For sale by B. Whidden, 1896. url p. 26.
- A manual of North American birds. By Robert Ridgway. Illustrated by 464 outline drawings of the generic characters. Philadelphia, J. B. Lippincott company, 1896. url p. 295, p. 86.
- A manual of North American birds. Philadelphia: J.B. Lippincott Co., 1900. url , p. 295.
- A manual of the vertebrate animals of the northern United States: including the district north and east of the Ozark mountains, south of the Laurentian hills, north of the southern boundary of Virginia, and east of the Missouri river, inclusive of marine species / Chicago:A. C. McClurg, 1916. url .
- A popular handbook of the birds of the United States and Canada / Boston: Little, Brown, 1921. url .
- A popular handbook of the ornithology of the United States and Canada: based on Nuttall's Manual / by Montague Chamberlain. Boston: Little, B., & Co., 1903. url p. 438.
- A preliminary catalog of the birds of Missouri / St. Louis: Academy of Science of St. Louis, 1907. url , .
- A preliminary list of the birds found in Vermont / by George H. Perkins; assisted by Clifton D. Howe. Albany: Wynkoop Hallenbeck Crawford Co., 1901. url p. 105.
- A preliminary list of the birds of Wayne County, Ohio. Columbus, Westbote Co., State Printers, 1896. url p. 250, p. 251, p. 291.
- A sketch of the natural history (vertebrates) of the British Islands: With a concise bibliography of popular works relating to the British fauna, and a list of field clubs and natural history societies in the United Kingdom / by F. G. Aflalo. With illustrations. Edinburgh: W. Blackwood and Son, 1898. url p. 296.
- A survey of natural areas in Brunswick County, North Carolina: for The North Carolina Natural Heritage Program, Coastal Natural Area Inventory Project / Raleigh: North Carolina Coastal Energy Impact Program, Office of Coastal Management, North Carolina Dept. of Natural Resources and Community Development, [1982?] url , .
- American bird magazine, ornithology. Worcester, Mass.: C.K. Reed, 1903-1906. url p. 177, p. 219.
- American birds studied and photographed from life / by William Lovell Finley. Illustrated with photographs by Herman T. Bohlman and the author. New York: Scribner's sons, 1907. url p. 44.
- American birds, studied and photographed from life, by William Lovell Finley; illustrated from photographs by Herman T. Bohlman and the author. New York, C. Scribner's sons, 1907. url p. 32.
- American ornithology, for home and school. [Worcester, Mass.: Charles K. Reed], 1901-. url p. 177, p. 219.
- An early pleistocene avifauna from Inglis, Florida / by Gail Elaine Speaker Carr. 1981. url , p. 124, p. 126, p. 4.
- An ecological characterization of Coastal Maine (north and east of Cape Elizabeth) / Stewart I. Fefer and Patricia S. Schettig: principal investigators. Newton Corner, Mass.: Department of the Interior, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Northeast Region, 1980. url .
- An ecological study of the relationships between forest types and the wildlife species found thereon a thesis / by Russell Taplin Norris. 1941. url .
- An ecological survey of Isle Royale, Lake Superior. Lansing, Mich., Wynkoop Hallenbeck Crawford Co., State Printers, 1909. url .
- An illustrated manual of British birds, with 384 illustrations and 3 colored maps. London, Gurney, 1899. url p. 278.
- Animal Ecology. Englewood Cliffs, N.J., Prentice-Hall, 1961. url p. 454.
- Animal forms; a second book of zoology, New York, D. Appleton and Company, 1902. url .
- Animal forms; a text-book of zoology, by David S. Jordan. .. and Harold Heath. New York: D. Appleton, 1907, c1902. url p. 221.
- Animal studies; a text-book of elementary zoology for use in high schools and colleges, New York, D. Appleton and company, 1903. url p. 228, p. 451.
- Animals; a text-book of zoology, by David S. Jordan. .. Vernon L. Kellogg. .. and Harold Heath. New York, D. Appleton, 1907, c1902. url p. 221.
- Annals of the Carnegie Museum. [Pittsburgh]: Published by authority of the Board of Trustees of the Carnegie Institute, 1901- url , p. 596.
- Annotated list of birds of Wellesley and vicinity; comprising the land-birds and most of the inland water-fowl of eastern Massachusetts; by Albert Pitts Morse. .. Wellesley, Mass., The author, 1897. url p. 25.
- Annotated list of the Avery bird collection in the Alabama museum of natural history (Geological survey museum) University, Ala., 1921. url .
- Annual report / Albany: University of the State of New York, 1902-1918. url , p. 125.
- Annual report of the New York Zoological Society. New York: The Society, 1897- url p. 158, p. 158, p. 161.
- Annual report of the Quebec Society for the Protection of Plants from Insects and Fungous Diseases. Quebec: The Society, 1909-1920. url p. 49.
- Appendices A-E: terrestrial resources injury assessment report: upper Clark Fork River NPL sites. Helena?, Mont.: Dept. of Justice?, 1995 url .
- Audubon the naturalist; a history of his life and time, by Francis Hobart Herrick. .. New YorkD. Appleton-Century Company, incorporated, 1938. url p. 483.
- Audubon, the naturalist; a history of his life and time, by Francis Hobart Herrick. New York, Appleton[c1917] url p. 477.
- Bat use of highway bridges in south-central Montana / Springfield, Va.: Available through the National Technical Information Service, 2005 url .
- Beach grass, by Charles Wendell Townsend. Boston, Marshall Jones Co., 1923. url p. 310.
- Bergey's manual of determinative bacteriology, by Robert S. Breed [and others] Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins Co., 1957. url p. 672.
- Biltmore lectures on sylviculture / by C. A. Schenck. Albany, N.Y.: Brandow Printing Co., 1907. url p. 14.
- Bird behaviour, psychical and physiological; by Frank Finn. With 44 illustrations on art paper. London, Hutchinson url p. 240.
- Bird blow flies (Protocalliphora) in North America (Diptera: Calliphoridae), with notes on the Palearctic species / Curtis W. Sabrosky, Gordon F. Bennett, and Terry L. Whitworth. Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Press, c1989. url p. 233.
- Bird guide. from parrots to bluebirds / by Chester A. Reed. Worcester: Reed, 1906. url p. 27.
- Bird guide: land birds east of the Rockies from parrots to bluebirds / by Chester A. Reed. Garden City, N.Y.: Doubleday, Page, 1916, c1909. url p. 32, p. 32.
- Bird homes. The nests, eggs and breeding habits of the land birds breeding in the eastern United States; with hints on the rearing and photographing of young birds, New York, Doubleday & McClure Co., 1900. url , .
- Bird homes: The nests, eggs and breeding habits of the land birds breeding in the eastern United States with hints on the rearing and photographing of young birds / New York: Doubleday, Page & Co., 1903. url , .
- Bird homes: the nests, eggs and breeding habits of the land birds breeding in the eastern United States, with hints on the rearing and photographing of young birds / New York: Doubleday & McClure, 1920, c1904. url , .
- Bird homes: the nests, eggs, and breeding habits of the land birds breeding in the eastern United States; with hints on the rearing and photographing of young birds / New York: Doubleday, Page, 1905, c1904. url , .
- Bird neighbors an introductory acquaintance with one hundred and fifty birds commonly found in the gardens, meadows and woods about our homes / by Neltje Blanchan; with introduction by John Burroughs. Toronto: G. Morang, 1898. url .
- Bird neighbors. An introductory acquaintance with one hundred and fifty birds commonly found in the gardens, meadows, and woods about our homes, New York, Grosset & Dunlap[c1904] url .
- Bird neighbors: an introductory acquaintance with one hundred and fifty birds commonly found in the gardens, meadows, and woods about our homes / by Neltje Blanchan; with introduction by John Burroughs. Garden City: Doubleday, 1918. url p. 130.
- Bird neighbors; an introductory acquaintance with one hundred and fifty birds commonly found in the gardens, meadows, and woods about our homes Garden City, N. Y., Garden City Pub. Co.[c1922] url .
- Bird populations in east central Illinois: fluctuations, variations, and development over a half-century / Champaign: University of Illinois Press, c1982. url p. 134.
- Bird studies with a camera: with introductory chapters on the outfit and methods of the bird photographer / New York: D. Appleton, 1914, c1900. url .
- Bird studies; an account of the land birds of eastern North America, London, G. P. Putnam's Sons, 1898. url , .
- Bird-life: a guide to the study of our common birds / by Frank M. Chapman; with seventy-five full-page colored plates after drawings by Ernest Thompson Seton. New York: D. Appleton, 1901. url p. 190.
- Bird-life; a guide to the study of our common birds, by Frank M. Chapman. .. With seventy-five full-page colored plates after drawings by Ernest Seton Thompson. New York, D. Appleton and co., 1919 [c1901] url p. 190.
- Birdcraft: a field book of two hundred song, game, and water birds / New York: Macmillan, 1900. url , .
- Birdcraft; a field book of two hundred song, game, and water birds, by Mabel Osgood Wright. .. With eighty full-page plates by Louis Agassiz Fuertes. London: The Macmillan company, 1897. url p. 200, p. 315.
- Birds / by A.H. Evans. London: Macmillan, 1899 (1909 printing). url p. 460.
- Birds and nature. Chicago, Ill.: A.W. Mumford, Publisher, 1900-1907. url , p. 56.
- Birds and poets, with other papers, by John Burroughs. Boston, Houghton Mifflin, 1895, c1877. url p. 238.
- Birds in Kansas / Max C. Thompson & Charles Ely. 1 Lawrence, Kan.: University of Kansas, Museum of Natural History: c1989- url p. 385, p. 397, p. xv.
- Birds of Buzzard's Roost, one for each week, and other essays, by William Watson Woollen; with fifty-two colored plates, twenty-one half-tone photogravures, and twelve text figures. 1907 Indianapolis, Ind., Scott-Miller Company, 1907. url figs. 1-3 , p. 249, p. 254, index of orders and families, page 323, p. 327, chapter XLV.
- Birds of California: an introduction to more than three hundred common birds of the state and adjacent islands, with a supplementary list of rare migrants, accidental visitants, and hypothetical subspecies / Chicago: A.C. McClurg, 1912, c1903. url .
- Birds of Kansas, by Benjamin F. Eyer. .. Topeka, Kan., Crane & Company, 1900. url p. 100.
- Birds of New York / Albany: University of the State of New York, 1914. url .
- Birds of New York / by Elon Howard Eaton. Albany: University of the State of New York, 1910-1914. url p. 158.
- Birds of North Carolina, by T. Gilbert Pearson, C. S. Brimley and H. H. Brimley. Raleigh, Edwards & Broughton printing co., state printers, 1919. url p. 195, p. 374.
- Birds of Oregon, by Ira N. Gabrielson. .. and Stanley G. Jewett. .. Corvallis, Or., Pub. by Oregon State College through the O.S.C. Cooperative Association[c1940] url p. 609.
- Birds of South Carolina, Charleston, S.C., [The Daggett Printing Co.]1910. url , , .
- Birds of South Carolina, by Arthur Trezevant Wayne. With an introduction by the editor. Charleston, S.C., [The Daggett Printing Co.]1910. url p. 204, p. 246, p. 93.
- Birds of Washington and vicinity, including adjacent parts of Maryland and Virginia, by Mrs. L. W. Maynard, with introduction by Florence A. Merriam. .. Washington, D. C., 1898. url p. 127, p. 127, p. 198, p. 198.
- Birds of Washington and vicinity: including adjacent parts of Maryland and Virginia / by Mrs. L. W. Maynard; with introduction by Florence Merriam Bailey. Washington, D. C.: Woodward & Lothrop, 1902. url p. 204, p. 204.
- Birds of Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks / [United States]: Yellowstone Library and Museum Association in cooperation with National Park Service, U.S. Dept. of Interior, [19--] url , .
- Birds of a Maryland farm: a local study of economic ornithology / Washington; G.P.O., 1902. url , .
- Birds of eastern Canada / Ottawa: J. de L. Tache?, 1919. url .
- Birds of eastern Canada / by P. A. Taverner. Ottawa: Acland, 1922. url p. 148, p. 148.
- Birds of eastern Canada / by P.A. Taverner. Ottawa: Canada Dept. of Mines, Geological Survey, 1919. url p. 276.
- Birds of eastern Canada, by P. A. Taverner. Ottawa, J. de L. Tache?, printer, 1919. url p. 142, p. 276.
- Birds of eastern Canada, by P.A. Taverner. Ottawa, J. de L. Taché, Printer, 1919. url p. 142, p. 276.
- Birds of lakeside and prairie, by Edward B. Clark, with sixteen illustrations in color. 1901 Chicago, A.W. Mumford url p. 148, p. 148.
- Birds of the Kansas City region [by] Harry Harris. [St. Louis, Mo.]1919 url p. 274.
- Birds of the Pacific coast, including a brief account of the distribution and habitat of one hundred and eighteen birds that are more or less common to the Pacific coast states and British Columbia, many of which are found east by Willard Ayres Eliot; with fifty-six color plates, by R. Bruce Horsfall. 1923 New York, G. P. Putnam's sons, 1923. url p. 187.
- Birds of the Pacific slope of Los Angeles County: a list with brief notes / [Pasadena, Calif.: Pasadena Academy of Sciences], 1898 url .
- Birds of the Rockies, by Leander S. Keyser... with eight full-page plates [four in color] by Louis Agassiz Fuertes; many illustrations in the text by Bruce Horsfall, and eight views of localities from photographs; with a c Chicago, A. C. McClurg and co., 1902. url p. 326.
- Birds of the United States east of the Rocky Mountains; a manual for the identification of species in hand or in the bush, Cincinnati [etc.]American Book Co.[c1898] url .
- Birds of village and field: a bird book for beginners, by Florence A. Merriam. Illustrated. Boston, Houghton, Mifflin and company, 1898. url p. 127, p. 400.
- Birds that eat the cotton boll weevil: a report of progress / Washington: G.P.O., 1906. url .
- Birds. Collected excerpts from v. 10 of Reports of explorations and surveys, to ascertain the most practicable and economical route for a railroad from the Mississippi River to the Pacific Ocean. [n. p., 19--?] url .
- Birds: their photographs and home life / by A. H. Cordier. .. with 145 illustrations from photographs of wild birds, by the author. Philadelphia: Dorrance, c1923. url p. 131.
- Birds; a miscellaneous collection of 37 pamphlets about birds. Collected and privately bound by Alvin Seale, 1914. v.p., 1910-1913 url , p. 41, p. 47, p. 52, p. 53.
- Breeding-bird populations in the jack pine and mixed jack pine/deciduous stands in central Ontario / Toronto: Royal Ontario Museum, c1995. url p. 19.
- Brigham Young University science bulletin. 9 1967 Provo, Utah: Brigham Young University, [1955-1976] url p. 36.
- British birds. London, Witherby & Co. url p. 281, p. 281.
- Bulletin / Illinois Natural History Survey. Urbana, State of Illinois, Dept. of Registration and Education, Natural History Survey Division, 1918-1985. url p. 460, p. 584.
- Bulletin / Peabody Museum of Natural History. 1972 New Haven: Peabody Museum of Natural History, url p. 238, fig. 37.
- Bulletin / Smithsonian Institution, Bureau of American Ethnology. Washington: G.P.O., 1901-1971. url p. 129.
- Bulletin / State Geological and Natural History Survey of Connecticut. [Hartford]: The Survey, 1904- url p. 209, p. 224.
- Bulletin / U.S. Department of Agriculture, Biological Survey. Washington: G.P.O., 1904-1907. url p. 22.
- Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History). London: BM(NH) url p. 12, p. 234, p. 3, p. 385, p. 395, p. 6.
- Bulletin of the Southern California Academy of Sciences Los Angeles, Calif.: The Academy, 1971- url p. 129.
- Bulletin of the U.S. Department of Agriculture. [Washington, D.C.?]: Supt. of Docs., Govt. Print. Off., 1913-1923. url p. 17, p. 17, p. 31, p. 54.
- California fish and game. [San Francisco, etc.]: State of California, Resources Agency, Dept. of Fish and Game. url p. 117, p. 126.
- Carotenoids, by Paul Karrer and Ernst Jucker. Translated and rev. by Ernest A. Braude. New York, Elsevier Pub. Co., 1950. url p. 366, p. 94.
- Carotenoids, their comparative biochemistry. New York, Chemical Pub. Co., 1954. url p. 261, p. 330.
- Carotinoids and related pigments: the chromolipoids. New York: The Chemical Catalog Company, Inc., 1922. url p. 145, p. 304.
- Cassinia. Philadelphia: Delaware Valley Ornithological Club, 1901- url p. 32, p. 41, p. 75.
- Catalogue of British Columbia birds. Victoria, B.C., Printed by R. Wolfenden, 1904. url p. 36.
- Catalogue of Canadian birds / by John Macoun and James M. Macoun. Ottawa: Canada Dept. of Mines, Geological Survey Branch, 1909. url p. 285, p. 300.
- Catalogue of Canadian birds, Ottawa, Government Printing Bureau, 1909. url , .
- Catalogue of Canadian birds, by John Macoun. .. and James M. Macoun. .. Ottawa, Government printing bureau, 1909. url p. 285, p. 300.
- Catalogue of birds of the Americas and the adjacent islands in Field Museum of Natural History. by Charles B. Cory. 13 1919 Chicago: Field Museum of Natural History, 1919. url p. 410.
- Catalogue of scientific papers (1800-1900) Comp. by the Royal society of London. Cambridge, C. J. Clay and sons, 1867-1902; url p. 263, p. 696, p. 798, p. 852.
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. Compiled by the Royal Society of London. London, C.J. Clay and Sons, 1867-1902 [etc.] Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1914-25. url p. 155, p. 263, p. 696, p. 798, p. 852.
- Catalogue of the Collection of Birds' Eggs in the British Museum / By E. W. Oates [and afterwards] by S. G. Reid [and] W. R. Ogilvie-Grant. London, 1901-12. url p. 139.
- Catalogue of the collection of birds' eggs in the British Museum (Natural History) London, Printed by order of the Trustees, 1901-12. url p. 139.
- Chapters on the natural history of the United States. New York, Studer Bros.[c1897] url , .
- Check list of the vertebrates of Ontario and catalogue of specimens in the biological section of the Provincial museum. Birds. Toronto, L. K. Cameron, printer to the king's most excellent Majesty, 1905. url p. 51.
- Check-list of North American birds / prepared by a committee of the American ornithologists' union. Lancaster, Pa.: The Union, 1931. url p. 188, p. 503.
- Check-list of North American birds, New York, American ornithologists' union, 1910. url .
- Check-list of North American birds. [Ithaca, N.Y.]1957. url p. 312, p. 313, p. 660, p. 675.
- Check-list of North American birds: the species of birds of North America from the Arctic through Panama, including the West Indies and Hawaiian Islands / prepared by the Committee on Classification and Nomenclature of the American Orni Lawrence, Kan.: American Ornithologists' Union, 1983. url p. 395, p. 803, p. 821.
- Check-list of birds of the world. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1931-1987. url p. 101.
- College zoology [by] Robert W. Hegner [and] Karl A. Stiles. New York, Macmillan url p. 462.
- Color key to North American birds, with bibliographical appendix, by Frank M. Chapman. .. with upwards of 800 drawings, by Chester A. Reed, B.S. New York, D. Appleton & Company, 1912. url p. 154, p. 154, p. 336, p. 336, p. 5, p. 5.
- Color key to North American birds; with bibliographical appendix. New York, D. Appleton, 1912. url .
- Compendium of natural features information / Baltimore: The Department, 1975. url p. 174, p. 176, p. 181.
- Concealing-coloration in the animal kingdom; an exposition of the laws of disguise through color and pattern: being a summary of Abbott H. Thayer's discoveries, New York, The Macmillan Co., 1909. url .
- Creation by evolution; a consensus of present-day knowledge as set forth by leading authorities in non-technical language that all may understand, edited by Frances Mason. New York, The Macmillan Company, 1928. url p. 7.
- Elementary zoology / by Vernon L. Kellogg. New York: H. Holt and company, 1902. url p. 355, p. 356, p. 71.
- "Every bird;" a guide to the identification of the birds of woodland, beach and ocean. With one hundred and twenty-four line illustrations by the author, Reginald Heber Howe, jr. Boston, B. Whidden, 1896. url p. 25.
- Explorations in the far North being a report of an expedition under the auspices of the University of Iowa during the years 1892, '93, and '94 / by Frank Russell. [Iowa City?]: State University of Iowa, 1898. url , .
- Explorations in the far North, [Iowa City?]The University, 1898. url , .
- Explorations in the far North, by Frank Russell. Being the report of an expedition under the auspices of the University of Iowa during the years 1892, '93, and '94. [Iowa City?]The University, 1898. url p. 264, p. 284.
- FWS/0BS. [Washington]Fish and Wildlife Service, U.S. Dept. of the Interior. url , p. 138, p. 139, p. 31.
- Facts relating to the history of Groton, Massachusetts, by Samuel Abbott Green. .. [Cambridge, J. Wilson and Son]1912-14. url p. 36.
- Familiar life in field and forest; the animals, birds, frogs, and salamanders. New York, D. Appleton and Company, 1898. url .
- Fauna of New England, 11: list of the aves / by Glover M. Allen. Boston: Society of Natural History, 1909. url p. 121.
- Fauna of New England. List of the Araneida. Boston, For Society, 1908. url .
- Fauna of New England. by Glover M. Allen. Boston: Society of Natural History, 1909. url p. 121.
- Field book of wild birds and their music: a description of the character and music of birds, intended to assist in the identification of species common in the United States east of the Rocky Mountains / by F. Schuyler Mathews; with numerous reproductions of water color and monotone studies of birds, and complete musical notations of bird songs by the author. New York: G.P. Putnam's Sons, c1921. url p. 322.
- Final environmental impact statement: proposed estuarine sanctuary grant award for Apalachicola Bay and lower Apalachicola River, Franklin County, Florida to State of Florida / Washington, D.C.: Office of Coastal Zone Management, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, 1979. url .
- First lessons in zoology, New York, H. Holt and Company, 1903. url .
- Fish and Wildlife Habitat Changes Resulting from Construction of a Nine-Foot Channel on Pools 24, 25, and 26 of the Mississippi River and the Lower Illinois River, Ft. BelvoirDefense Technical Information CenterAPR 1979. url p. 439.
- Food of the woodpeckers of the United States / Washington, D.C.: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Biological Survey, 1911. url , .
- Foreign birds for cage and aviary. By Arthur G. Butler London, "The Feathered world"[191-?] url p. 305, p. 97.
- Genera insectorum / publiés par P. Wytsman. Bruxelles, L. Desmet-Verteneuil [etc.]1902-1970. url p. 15.
- Gleanings from nature / J. Warren Jacobs. Waynesburg, Pa.: Independent Book & Job Office, 1898- url p. 29.
- Gleanings from nature, by W.S. Blatchley. .. Indianapolis, The Nature publishing company, 1899. url p. 17.
- Gleanings from nature. Indianapolis, 1899. url p. 17.
- Great Basin naturalist memoirs. 1976 [Provo, Utah]Brigham Young University, 1976-1992. url p. 119, p. 142, p. 154, p. 213, p. 214, p. 215, p. 216, p. 264, p. 69, p. 70, p. 78.
- Guide to taxidermy, by Chas. K. Reed and Chester A. Reed. Illustrated by drawings and photographs of mounted specimens by the authors and Mr. N. F. Stone. Worcester, Mass., C.K. Reed, 1914. url p. 268.
- Guide to the Gallery of Birds in the Department of Zoology, British Museum (Natural History). London: Printed by order of the Trustees, 1921. url p. 103.
- Guide to the gallery of birds in the department of zoology, British Museum (Natural History) London: Printed by order of the Trustees, 1921. url p. 103.
- Handbook of birds of eastern North America / by Frank M. Chapman. New York: D. Appleton, 1904. url p. 235, p. 421.
- Hormones and heredity, a discussion of the evolution of adaptations and the evolution of species. London, Constable, 1921. url p. 18.
- Hormones and heredity; a discussion of the evolution of adaptations and the evolution of species; by J. T. Cunningham. London, Constable, 1921. url p. 18.
- How to sex cage birds (British and foreign), London, "The Feathered world", "Canary and cage-bird life" url p. 171.
- Illinois River Bluffs area assessment / Illinois Department of Natural Resources, Office of Scientific Research and Analysis, [and the] State Geological Survey Division. Springfield, Ill.: Illinois Dept. of Natural Resources, 1998- url p. 76.
- Illinois birds, Picidae / Jean W. Graber, Richard R. Graber, Ethelyn L. Kirk. Urbana: State of Illinois, Dept. of Registration and Education, Natural History Survey Division, 1977. url p. 13, p. 72, p. 73.
- In the Acadian land nature studies / by Robert R. McLeod. Boston: B. Whidden, 1899. url .
- In the Acadian land; nature studies, by Robert R. McLeod. Boston: B. Whidden, 1899. url p. 132.
- International catalogue of scientific literature. LondonPublished for the International Council by the Royal Society of London1901-1920 url p. 100, p. 1301, p. 1360.
- Invitation to birds; a few of the common birds of Illinois, an invitation to know and enjoy them. Illus. by the author. Springfield, 1948. url p. 28.
- Journal of agricultural research. Washington, U.S. Govt. Printing Office, 1913-1949.. url p. 161, p. 353.
- Journal of ethnobiology. 12-13 1992-1993 Flagstaff, Ariz.: Center for Western Studies, 1981- url p. 94.
- Journal of the Kentucky Academy of Science. Lexington, KY: The Academy, 1998- url p. 170, p. 178, p. 178, p. 187, p. 53.
- Joy of nature: how to observe and appreciate the great outdoors / [editor, Alma E. Guinness]. Pleasantville, N.Y.: Reader's Digest Association, c1977. url p. 329.
- Key to North American birds. Containing a concise account of every species of living and fossil bird at present known from the continent north of the Mexican and United States boundary, inclusive of Greenland and Lower California Boston, Estes and Lauriat, 1896. url , p. 881.
- Labrador, the country and the people, by Wilfred T. Grenfell and others. New York, Macmillan, 1909. url .
- Labrador: the country and the people / by Wilfred T. Grenfell and others. New York: Macmillan Co., 1909. url p. 475.
- Lake Maxinkuckee. A physical and biological survey by Barton Warren Evermann...and Howard Walton Clark... [Indianapolis, Wm. B. Burford, printer]1920. url p. 548, p. 648.
- Lake Maxinkuckee: a physical and biological survey / by Barton Warren Evermann and Howard Walton Clark. Indianapolis: Dept. of Conservation, 1920. url p. 548, p. 648.
- Lake Superior. [With a narrative of the tour by J. Elliot Cabot. Huntington, N.Y.]R. E. Krieger Pub. Co., 1974 [c1850] url p. 385.
- Legislation for the protection of birds other than game birds / Washington, D.C.: G.P.O., 1900. url .
- Life and sport on the north shore of the lower St. Lawrence and Gulf, containing chapters on salmon fishing, trapping, the folk-lore of the Montagnais Indians and tales of adventure on the fringe of the Labrador peninsula. By Napoleon A. Comeau. Quebec, Daily Telegraph Printing House, 1909. url p. 422.
- List of North Dakota birds: found in the Big Coulee, Turtle Mountains and Devils Lake region, as noted during the years 1890 to 1896 and verified in the subsequent years to date / by Elmer T. Judd. Cando, N.D.: Published by the author, 1917. url p. 19.
- List of the vertebrated animals now or lately living in the gardens of the Zoological Society of London. London, Printed for the Society, 1896. url p. 308, p. 690.
- Louisiana herpetology, with a checklist of the batrachians and reptiles of the state and the avifauna of Louisiana, with an annotated list of the birds of the state / by George E. Beyer. New Orleans: [s.n.]1900. url p. 29.
- Management plan, Robb/Ledford wildlife management area. [Helena]:Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks,  url .
- Memoirs of the San Diego Society of Natural History. 13 1984 San Diego, Calif.: The Society, 1931-1989. url map 43, page 125, p. 251, p. xvi.
- Methods of attracting birds, BostonHoughton Mifflin Company, 1910. url .
- Michigan bird life: a list of all the bird species known to occur in the State together with an outline of their classification and an account of the life history of each species, with special reference to its relation t by Walter Bradford Barrows. Lansing: Michigan Agricultural College, 1912. url p. 368.
- Migration of birds. by Frederick C. Linclon; revised by Steven R. Peterson; associate editor Peter A. Anastasi; illustrated by Bob Hines. Washington: Dept. of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service: for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off., 1979. url p. 116.
- Miscellaneous publication - University of Kansas, Museum of Natural History. 1958 Lawrence: University of Kansas, 1946-1996. url p. 166, p. 21, p. 28, p. 3, p. 31, p. 32, p. 33, p. 41, p. 51, p. 88.
- Museum bulletin / Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1908-1916. url p. 104.
- Museum paper / Alabama Museum of Natural History. University, Ala.: Alabama Museum of Natural History, 1910-1960. url p. 64.
- Museum paper. University, Ala. [etc.]1910- url p. 64.
- Nests and eggs of North American birds: with a chapter on ornithological and oölogical collecting (the preparation of skins, nests and eggs for the cabinet). Toronto: Musson url p. 281.
- North American birds eggs, New York, Doubleday, Page & company, 1904. url .
- North American birds eggs, by Chester A. Reed...illustrating the eggs of nearly every species of North American birds. New York, Doubleday, Page & company, 1904. url p. 338.
- North American birds eggs. New York: Dover Pub, . url p. 197, p. 338.
- Occasional papers of the Museum of Zoology, University of Michigan. Ann Arbor, Mich.: University of Michigan, 1913- url p. 16, p. 8.
- Our living resources: a report to the nation on the distribution, abundance, and health of U.S. plants, animals, and ecosystems / [edited by], Edward T. LaRoe. .. [et al.]. Washington, DC: U.S. Dept. of the Interior, National Biological Service, 1995. url p. 512.
- P.D. Skaar's Montana bird distribution / revised by Susan Lenard. .. [et al.]. Helena: Montana Natural Heritage Program, 2003. url p. 73.
- Pacific coast avifauna / Cooper Ornithnological Club of California. Santa Clara, Calif.: The Club, 1900-1974. url p. 102, p. 109, p. 158, p. 158, p. 195, p. 35, p. 35, p. 39, p. 40, p. 40, p. 59, p. 59, p. 6, p. 82, p. 84, p. 84, p. 9, p. 9, p. 9, p. 9.
- Papers presented to the World's congress on ornithology; Chicago, C. H. Sergel company, 1896. url .
- Parental care and its evolution in birds. Urbana, University of Illinois Press, 1952. url , p. 228, p. 347.
- Pesticides monitoring journal. [Washington, D.C.: For sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. G.P.O., 1967-1981. url p. 259.
- Point Lobos Reseerve; State Park, California. Interpretation of a primitive landscape. Sacramento, [State Print. Off., 1954] url p. 95.
- Posthumous works of Charles Otis Whitman, professor of zoo?logy in the University of Chicago, 1892-1910; director of Marine biological laboratory at Woods Hole, 1888-1908, edited by Oscar Riddle. .. Washington, The Carnegie Institution of Washington, 1919. url , p. 123, p. 125, p. 126.
- Posthumous works, ed. by Oscar Riddle. Washington, Carnegie Inst., 1919. url , .
- Postilla. 1982 New Haven, Conn.: Peabody Museum of Natural History, [1950?]-c2004. url p. 12.
- Potential wildlife-highway interactions at select mile-markers along Montana Department of Transportation routes an ArcView GIS analysis / Bozeman, Mont.: Fish and Wildlife Management Program, Montana State University, 2001 url .
- Principles of animal ecology, by W. C. Allee [and others] Philadelphia, Saunders Co., 1949. url p. 726.
- Problems of genetics, by William Bateson. New Haven, Conn., Yale University Press, 1916[c1913]. url p. 147.
- Problems of genetics. New HavenYale University Press1913 url p. 147.
- Proceedings of the California Academy of Sciences, 4th series. San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences. url p. 509, p. 616.
- Proceedings of the Manchester Institute of Arts and Sciences. Manchester, N.H.: The Institute, 1900-1911. url p. 142, p. 154.
- Proceedings of the Nebraska Ornithologists' Union. Lincoln, [1900-15] url p. 78.
- Proposed estuarine sanctuary grant award to the state of New York for a Hudson River estuarine sanctuary. Albany, N.Y.: New York, Dept. of Environmental Conservation,  url p. 122.
- Publication. Field Museum of Natural History. Chicago, U.S.A.: The Museum, 1910-1943. url p. 410, p. 411.
- Publications in zoology = Publications en zoologie. Ottawa: National Museums of Canada, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1970-1982. url p. 13, p. 13, p. 14, p. 14, p. 94.
- Report of the Secretary of the Smithsonian Institution and financial report of the Executive Committee of the Board of Regents for the year ending June 30. .. Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution, 1933-1965. url p. 132, p. 158.
- Report on exploration in the Labrador peninsula along the East Main, Koksoak, Hamilton, Manicuagan and portions of other rivers in 1892-93-94-95 / by A.P. Low. Ottawa: S.E. Dawson, 1896. url .
- Report on the progress and condition of the U.S. National Museum for the year ending June 30. .. / Smithsonian Institution, United States National Museum. Washington: G.P.O., 1907-1951. url p. 66.
- Results of a biological reconnoissance of the Yukon River region prepared under the direction of C. Hart Merriam. Washington: G.P.O., 1900. url .
- Results of boreal owl (Aegolius funereus) surveys on the Jefferson Division of the Lewis & Clark National Forest / by John C. Carlson, Montana Natural Heritage Program for the U.S.D.A. Forest Service, Lewis and Clark National Forest. Helena, MT: Montana Natural Heritage Program,  url , p. 3.
- Robb/Ledford Wildlife management area: draft management plan. Helena, MT: Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks, 1999 url .
- Rock River area assessment / Illinois Department of Natural Resources, Office of Scientific Research and Analysis, Natural History Survey Division, in conjunction with State Geological Survey Division. Springfield, IL: Illinois Dept. of Natural Resources, 1996- url p. 133.
- Roosevelt wild life bulletin. .. of the Roosevelt Life Forest Experiment Station of the New York College of Forestry at Syracuse University. Syracuse, N.Y.: The University, c1922- url p. 262, p. 524.
- Sand dunes and salt marshes / by Charles Wendell Townsend. Boston: L.C. Page & company, c1925. url p. 305.
- Sand dunes and salt marshes, Boston, D. Estes & company[c1913] url .
- Selected vertebrate endangered species of the seacoast of the United States / prepared by National Fish and Wildlife Laboratory, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. [Washington]: The Service: [for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off.], 1980. url p. 7.
- Sex and internal secretions. Contributors: A. Albert [and others] Foreword by George W. Corner. Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins, 1961. url p. 1375.
- Slides and photographs. Albany, N.Y., 1920. url .
- Special papers / Ohio Academy of Sciences. Columbus, Ohio: The Academy, 1899-1929. url p. 116.
- Special scientific report--wildlife / U.S. Department of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service. Washington, D.C.: The Service, 1949- url p. 1, p. 12, p. 17, p. 26, p. 3, p. 6, p. 8, p. 8.
- Spring notes from Tennessee, by Bradford Torrey. Boston, Houghton, Mifflin and company, 1896. url p. 214, p. 214, p. 214.
- Station bulletin. Durham, N.H.: Agricultural Experiment Station, University of New Hampshire, 1948- url p. 124, p. 132, p. 47, p. 48.
- Stories of bird life, by T. Gilbert Pearson. .. with illustrations by and under the supervision of John L. Ridgway. Richmond, B. F. Johnson publishing company, 1901. url p. 230, p. 230.
- Syllogeus. Ottawa, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1972-1995. url p. 11, p. 22, p. 33.
- Teachers' manual of bird-life: a guide to the study of our common birds / by Frank M. Chapman. New York: D. Appleton and Co., 1899. url p. 190.
- Technical report: Illinois natural areas inventory / by the Department of Landscape Architecture, Univeristy of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, and the Natural Land Institute, Rockford, Illinois. Urbana: Dept. of Landscape Architecture, University of Illinois and Natural Land Institute, 1978. url p. 411.
- Terrestrial resources injury assessment report: upper Clark Fork River Basin / [S.l.: RCG/Hagler, Bailly, Inc.?, 1995 url .
- Territorial and mating behavior of the house wren, with 32 figures, Urbana, The University of Illinois Press, 1941. url p. 33.
- Textbook of zoology / by George Edwin Potter. St. Louis: Mosby, 1947. url p. 594, p. 928.
- The American midland naturalist. 1 1909-1910 Notre Dame, Ind., University of Notre Dame. url p. 22, p. 228, p. 242, p. 312, p. 65.
- The Argentine ant. By Wilmon Newell. .. and T. C. Barber. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1913. url p. 73.
- The British bird book: an account of all the birds, nests and eggs found in the British Isles / ed. by F.B. Kirkman. Illustrated by two hundred drawings and numerous photographs. London: T.C. & E.C. Jack, 1910-13. url p. 646.
- The Bulletin of the North Carolina Department of Agriculture. Raleigh: State Board of Agriculture, [1907- url p. 17, p. 19.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. 35 1921 Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url , title page, index , fig. 1 , title page, index , title page, index , whelan , title page, index , allin , carruthers gussow , , title page, index , , , p. 10, p. 109, p. 111, p. 113, p. 114, p. 115, p. 116, p. 116, p. 117, p. 119, p. 119, p. 122, p. 124, p. 124, p. 128, p. 129, p. 132, p. 137, p. 137, p. 137, p. 137, p. 138, p. 139, p. 141, p. 142, p. 146, p. 147, p. 149, p. 151, p. 152, p. 16, p. 161, p. 163, p. 163, p. 163, p. 167, p. 17, p. 174, p. 174, p. 179, p. 179, p. 184, p. 186, p. 192, p. 193, p. 199, p. 205, p. 207, p. 207, p. 21, p. 211, p. 213, p. 214, p. 214, p. 224, p. 229, p. 23, p. 23, p. 231, p. 231, p. 233, p. 233, p. 245, p. 248, p. 259, p. 259, p. 26, p. 265, p. 276, p. 289, p. 29, p. 293, p. 294, p. 295, p. 297, p. 3, p. 303, p. 34, p. 352, p. 358, p. 359, p. 379, p. 387, p. 394, p. 40, p. 402, p. 406, p. 413, p. 423, p. 428, p. 428, p. 433, p. 434, p. 439, p. 440, p. 45, p. 477, p. 487, p. 491, p. 495, p. 504, p. 517, p. 518, p. 52, p. 521, p. 53, p. 53, p. 53, p. 534, p. 554, p. 555, p. 555, p. 56, p. 567, p. 568, p. 570, p. 572, p. 577, p. 58, p. 581, p. 59, p. 60, p. 601, p. 624, p. 63, p. 63, p. 630, p. 632, p. 637, p. 640, p. 643, p. 65, p. 653, p. 67, p. 678, p. 687, p. 691, p. 70, p. 722, p. 722, p. 731, p. 737, p. 741, p. 75, p. 765, p. 8, p. 82, p. 83, p. 87, p. 9, p. 92, p. 93, p. 96, p. 98, p. iv.
- The Great Basin naturalist. 37 1977 Provo, Utah: M.L. Bean Life Science Museum, Brigham Young University, 1939-1999. url p. 249, p. 282, p. 288, p. 343, p. 360, p. 382, p. 45, p. 481, p. 492, p. 494, p. 518, p. 519, p. 522, p. 603, p. 605, p. 628, p. 653, p. 720, p. 733, p. 763, p. 764, p. 765, p. 766, p. 767.
- The Journal of animal behavior. Albany, N.Y.: Henry Holt and Co., [1911-1917?] url p. 206.
- The Maine naturalist: journal of the Knox Academy of Arts and Sciences on the fauna, flora and geology of Maine. Thomaston [Me.]: The Academy, [1921-1930] url p. 5.
- The Ohio journal of science. Columbus, Ohio, The Ohio State University and the Ohio Academy of Science url p. 356, p. 42, p. 92.
- The Osprey. Galesburg, Ill.: The Osprey Co., 1897-1902. url , p. 10, p. 67.
- The Review of applied entomology. Farnham Royal, Eng., etc.: Commonwealth Agricultural Bureaux, etc. url p. 265, p. 307, p. 598, p. 747.
- The University of Colorado studies. Boulder, University of Colorado. url p. 231.
- The University of Kansas science bulletin. 37 1956 [Lawrence]: University of Kansas, 1902-1996. url p. 1280, p. 1370.
- The anatomical record. [New York, etc.]A. R. Liss [etc.] url p. 103.
- The animals and man; an elementary textbook of zoology and human physiology, New York, H. Holt and Company, 1911. url , , .
- The animans and man; an elementary textbook of zoology and human physiology, by Vernon Lyman Kellogg. New York, H. Holt and company, 1911. url p. 113, p. 231, p. 486.
- The avifauna of Louisiana, with an annotated list of the birds of the State [by] Geo. E. Beyer. New Orleans, La., 1900. url p. 29.
- The bee-keeper's guide, or Manual of the apiary. Chicago, G. W. York1899 [c1883] url .
- The bee-keeper's guide: or Manual of the apiary / Chicago. Ill.: George W. York & Co., 1910, 1883. url .
- The bee-keeper's guide: or, Manual of the apiary / by A.J. Cook. Chicago: York, 1902. url p. 110.
- The bee-keeper's guide; or, Manual of the apiary, Chicago, Ill., George W. York & company, 1904. url .
- The bird book: illustrating in natural colors more than seven hundred North American birds; also several hundred photographs of their nests and eggs / by Chester A. Reed. Garden City, New York, Doubleday, Page & company, 1915. url p. 258.
- The bird study book, Garden City, New York, Doubleday, Page & Company, 1917. url , .
- The birds of Amherst and vicinity, including nearly the whole of Hampshire county, Massachusetts. Amherst, Mass., Press of Carpenter & Morehouse, 1906. url , p. 64.
- The birds of Amherst and vicinity: including nearly the whole of Hampshire County, Massachusetts / Amherst, Mass.: Carpenter & Morehouse, 1906. url .
- The birds of Colorado / Fort Collins, Colo.: State Agricultural College, Agricultural Experiment Station, 1897. url , , , , .
- The birds of Connecticut, Hartford, Printed for the State Geological and Natural History Survey, 1913. url , , .
- The birds of Connecticut, by John Hall Sage and Louis Bennett Bishop, assisted by Walter Parks Bliss. Hartford, Printed for the State Geological and Natural History Survey, 1913. url p. 209, p. 209, p. 224, p. 224, p. 228.
- The birds of Erie and Presque Isle, Erie County, Pennsylvania / Pittsburgh?: s.l., 1904? url , .
- The birds of Essex County, Massachusetts. By Charles Wendell Townsend, M.D. Cambridge, Mass.: The Club, 1905. url p. 343.
- The birds of Illinois and Wisconsin, Chicago, 1909. url .
- The birds of Indiana. A descriptive catalogue of the birds that have been observed within the state, with an account of their habits. Indianapolis, Indiana Dept. of Geology and Natural Resources, 1898 url p. 844.
- The birds of Indiana: a descriptive catalog of the birds that have been observed within the state, with an account of their habits / by Amos W. Butler. Indianapolis: W. B. Burford, Contractor for State Printing, 1898 url p. 1183, p. 844.
- The birds of Indiana; a descriptive catalog of the birds that have been observed within the state, with an account of their habits. Indianapolis, W. B. Burford, Contractor for State Printing, 1898 url , .
- The birds of Maine; with key to and description of the various species known to occur or to have occured in the state, an account of their distribution and migration, showing their relative abundance in the various count by Ora Willis Knight. .. Bangor, Me.[printed by C. H. Glass & co.]1908. url p. 290.
- The birds of Montreal by Ernest D. Wintle. Montreal: W. Drysdale, 1896. url .
- The birds of Montreal, Montreal, W. Drysdale & co., 1896. url p. 75.
- The birds of North America: one hundred and nineteen artistic colored plates representing the different species and varieties drawn and colored from nature: including a copious text giving a popular account of their habits and 1903 New York: Published under the auspices of the Natural Science Association of America, 1903. url , p. 2.
- The birds of North and Middle America: a descriptive catalogue of the higher groups, genera, species, and subspecies of birds known to occur in North America, from the Arctic lands to the Isthmus of Panama, the West Indies and other island Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1901- url , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- The birds of Ohio; a complete scientific and popular description of the 320 species of birds found in the state, Columbus, The Wheaton Publishing Co., 1903, [c1902] url , .
- The birds of Ohio; a revised catalogue, [Columbus?]Academy of Science, 1903. url .
- The birds of Rhode Island / by Reginald Heber Howe, and Edward Sturtevant. [S.l.: s.n.], 1899. url p. 14.
- The birds of Rhode Island n. p.c1899 url .
- The birds of Rhode Island. [n. p.]1899. url p. 14.
- The birds of Texas; an annotated check list, Waco, Tex., The University, 1912. url .
- The birds of Washington: a complete, scientific and popular account of the 372 species of birds found in the state / by William Leon Dawson, assisted by John Hooper Bowles. Illustrated by more than 300 original half-tones of birds in life, nests, eggs, and favorite haunts, from photographs by the author and others, Seattle: Occidental Pub. Co., 1909. url p. 446, p. 450.
- The birds of Wyoming / By Wilbur C. Knight. Laramie, Wyo.: Wyoming Experiment Station, 1902. url p. 187.
- The birds of Wyoming. [Laramie, Wyoming Experiment Station]1902. url .
- The birds of eastern North America known to occur east of the nineteenth meridian. .. By Charles B. Cory. Boston, Bay State Pub. Co., 1900, c1899. url p. 362.
- The birds of eastern North America: known to occur east of the ninetieth meridian / by Charles B. Cory. Chicago: Field Columbian Museum, 1899. url p. 195, p. 362.
- The birds of the Cambridge region of Massachusetts. Cambridge, Mass., The Club, 1906. url .
- The birds of the Chicago area / [Chicago, Jennings and Graham], 1907. url , .
- The birds of the Chicago area, by Frank Morley Woodruff. .. [Chicago, Printed by Jennings and Graham]1907. url p. 112.
- The birds of the Lake St. Martin region, Manitoba / [Toronto: Royal Ontario Museum of Zoology], 1937. url p. 29.
- The birds of the Red Deer River, Alberta. n.p., n.d. url p. 250.
- The birds of the vicinity of Lake Nipissing, Ontario / [Toronto: Royal Ontario Museum], 1939. url p. 13.
- The book of birds, common birds of town and country and American game birds, Washington, D. C., National Geographic Society, 1918. url .
- The book of birds: common birds of town and country and American game birds / Washington, D. C.: National Geographic Society, c1921. url .
- The book of birds; common birds of town and country and American game birds, by Henry W. Henshaw; illustrated in natural colors with 250 paintings by Louis Agassiz Fuertes. Washington, D.C., National geographic society url p. 65.
- The book of woodcraft and Indian lore, with over 500 drawings by the author, Ernest Thompson Seton. .. Garden City, N.Y., Doubleday, Page & Company, 1922. url p. 259.
- The book of woodcraft. .. New York, The Sun dial press, inc. url p. 259.
- The economic value of birds to the state, Albany, J. B. Lyon Company, Printers, 1903. url .
- The great North-west and the great lake region of North America, by Paul Fountain... London, New York [etc.]: Longmans, Green, and co., 1904. url p. 224.
- The gypsy moth. Porthetria dispar (Linn.). A report of the work of destroying the insect in the commonwealth of Massachusetts, together with an account of its history and habits both in Massachusetts and Europe. By Edward H. Forbush. .. and Charles H. Fernald. .. Published under the direction of the State Board of Agriculture by authority of the legislature. Boston: Wright & Potter Printing Co., 1896. url , , p. 207.
- The hebes group of the Dipterous genus Tipula linnaeus / Philadelphia?: American Entomological Society, 1914 url p. 129.
- The history of Upshur county, West Virginia, from its earliest exploration and settlement to the present time. .. Buckhannon?W. Va., pref.1907 url p. 371.
- The history of the collections contained in the natural history departments of the British Museum. by R. Bowdler Sharpe. London, 1906. url p. 94.
- The home life of wild birds; a new method of the study and photography of birds, by Francis Hobart Herrick. London: G. P. Putnam's Sons, 1905. url p. 248.
- The land-birds and game-birds of New England with descriptions of the birds, their nests and eggs, their habits and notes. Boston, Houghton, Mifflin, 1903. url .
- The natural history and topography of Groton, Massachusetts / by Samuel Abbott Green. .. [Cambridge, J. Wilson and Son]1912-14. url p. 36.
- The natural-history background of camouflage, Washington, D.C.: The Smithsonian Institution, 1942. url p. 14.
- The naturalist of the Saint Croix. Memoir of George A. Boardman. A selection from his correspondence and published writings, notices of friends and contemporaries, with his list of the birds of Maine and New Brunswick. By Samuel Lane Boardman... Bangor, Priv. print., 1903. url p. 307, p. 307, p. 307, p. 345.
- The primary factors of organic evolution / by E. D. Cope. Chicago: Open Court, 1904, c1896. url p. 536.
- The school and farm. A treatise on the elements of agriculture, Chicago, W. M. Welch & company[c1902] url p. 221.
- The sportsman's British bird book / by R. Lydekker. London: Rowland Ward, 1908. url .
- The summer birds of Sudbury district, Ontario / [Toronto]: Printed by University of Toronto Press, 1947. url p. 10.
- The summer birds of Yakutat Bay, Alaska / [Toronto: Royal Ontario Museum of Zoology], 1939. url p. 22.
- The summer birds of the northeast shore of Lake Superior, Ontario / [Toronto]: Printed by the University of Toronto Press, 1943. url p. 11.
- The woodpeckers, Boston, Houghton, Mifflin and Company, 1901. url .
- The woodpeckers, by Fannie Hardy Eckstorm. Boston andHoughton, Mifflin and company, 1901. url p. 126.
- The woodpeckers. Boston: Houghton, 1901. url p. 125, p. 126.
- The world's birds a simple and popular classification of the birds of the world, by Frank Finn. With over 50 illustrations from photographs (mostly taken from living specimens) and outline figures in the text. London: Hutchinson & co., 1908. url p. 175, p. 176.
- The zoological quarterly bulletin / Harrisburg, Pa.: Wm. Stanley Ray, state printer of Pennsylvania, 1903-1905. url .
- Through the Mackenzie Basin: a narrative of the Athabasca and Peace River Treaty Expedition of 1899 / by Charles Mair; with a map of the country ceded and numerous photographs of native life and scenery. Also, notes on the mammals and birds of northern Canada, by Roderick MacFarlane. Toronto: W. Briggs, 1908. url p. 379.
- Through the Mackenzie Basin; a narrative of the Athabasca and Peace River treaty expedition of 1899, London: Simpkin, Marshall, Hamilton, Kent & co., limited, 1908. url .
- Transactions of the Kentucky Academy of Science. [Lexington, Ky.]Kentucky Academy of Science, 1923-1997. url p. 132, p. 135, p. 136, p. 152, p. 167, p. 43, p. 54.
- Transactions of the San Diego Society of Natural History. 20 1984 [San Diego]: The Society, 1905-1989. url p. 252, p. 262, p. 272, p. 288, p. 291, p. 47.
- Travels and traditions of waterfowl. Minneapolis, University of Minnesota Press url p. 287.
- Trees, fruits, and flowers of Minnesota. Minneapolis: Minnesota State Horticultural Society, 1899-1920. url p. 255.
- University of California publications in zoology. Berkeley: University Press, 1906- url p. 39, p. 408.
- University of Kansas publications, Museum of Natural History. 11 1958 Lawrence, University of Kansas. url p. 213, p. 331, p. 579, p. 618, p. 620, fig. 5, page 621, p. 649, p. 650, p. 661, p. 677, p. 684, p. 688.
- Upon the tree-tops, by Olive Thorne Miller [pseud.] Illustrated by J. Carter Beard. BostonHoughton, Mifflin and company, 1897. url , , , .
- Useful birds and their protection. Containing brief descriptions of the more common and useful species of Massachusetts, with accounts of their food habits, and a chapter on the means of attracting and protecting birds. By Edward Howe Forbush, ornithologist to the Massachusetts State Board of Agriculture. Illustrated by the author, C. Allan Lyford, Chester A. Reed and others. Pub. under direction of the Massachusetts Boston, Mass., 1907 url p. 260.
- Vertebrates of Ontario, by C. W. Nash. Department of Education, Toronto. Printed by order of the Legislative Assembly of Ontario Toronto, L. K. Cameron, 1908 url p. 51.
- Vertebrates of Ontario. TorontoPrint. by order of the Legislative Assembly of Ontario by L.K. Cameron1908 url p. 51.
- Washington State Coastal Zone Management Program amendment no. 3: approval of the Grays Harbor estuary management plan: program draft environmental impact statement. [Olympia, Wash.?]: Grays Harbor Regional Planning Commission; 1983. url p. 7.
- Winter sunshine, by John Burroughs. Boston, Houghton, Mifflin, c1917. url p. 239.
- Winter sunshine. BostonHoughton, Mifflin1901 url p. 239.
- Zoologica; scientific contributions of the New York Zoological Society. New York. url p. 15.
- [Collected reprints, 1895-1916. s.l., s.n., 19--] url , , , , , .
- [Collected reprints, 1902-1928. s.l., s.n.19--] url .
- [Collected reprints, 1911-1931. s.l., s.n., 19--] url .
- BirdLife International 2004. Colaptes auratus. In: IUCN 2006. 2006 IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. www.iucnredlist.org . Downloaded on 21 October 2006.
- BirdLife International 2004. In IUCN 2008. 2008 IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. IUCNRedList.org. Downloaded July 18, 2008.
- BirdLife International 2009. Colaptes auratus. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloadedon 31January2012.
- Bisby, F.A., Y.R. Roskov, M.A. Ruggiero, T.M. Orrell, L.E. Paglinawan, P.W. Brewer, N. Bailly, J. van Hertum, eds (2007). Species 2000 and ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2007 Annual Checklist. Species 2000: Reading, U.K.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 31, 2012.
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility. Accessed October 06, 2007. http://www.gbif.org Mediated distribution data from 3 providers.
- Hines, J. E., Gregory Gough, J. R. Sauer, et al. USGS Patuxent Wildlife Research Center
- IUCN 2012. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. . Downloaded on January 28, 2012.
- NatureServe. 2003. Downloadable animal data sets. NatureServe Central Databases. Accessed February 6, 2005.
- New Mexico Wildlife. New Mexico Department of Game and Fish Version of April 24, 2009.
- Parker III, T.A., D.F. Stotz, and J.W. Fitzpatrick, and quot;Ecological and Distributional Databases for Neotropical Birds, and quot; in Neotropical Birds: Ecology and Conservation, by D.F. Stotz, T.A. Parker III, J.W. Fitzpatrick, and D.K. Moskovits (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1996). ISBN 0-226-64676-9.
- Peterson, Alan P. Zoological Nomenclature Resource. Accessed June 19, 2009.
- Ruggiero M., Gordon D., Bailly N., Kirk P., Nicolson D. (2011). The Catalogue of Life Taxonomic Classification, Edition 2, Part A. In: Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2011 Annual Checklist (Bisby F.A., Roskov Y.R., Orrell T.M., Nicolson D., Paglinawan L.E., Bailly N., Kirk P.M., Bourgoin T., Baillargeon G., Ouvrard D., eds). DVD; Species 2000: Reading, UK.
- Sauer, J. R., J. E. Hines, and J. Fallon. 2005. The North American Breeding Bird Survey, Results and Analysis 1966 - 2004. Version 2005.2. USGS Patuxent Wildlife Research Center, Laurel, MD
- Sauer, J. R., S. Schwartz, and B. Hoover. 1996. The Christmas Bird Count Home Page. Version 95.1. USGS Patuxent Wildlife Research Center, Laurel, MD
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal March 06, 2008:
- Avian Knowledge Network: eBird
- Avian Knowledge Network: Great Backyard Bird Count
- Avian Knowledge Network: Project FeederWatch
- Biologiezentrum der Oberoesterreichischen Landesmuseen: Biologiezentrum Linz
- Bird Studies Canada: Marsh Monitoring Program - Birds
- Bird Studies Canada: Ontario Breeding Bird Atlas 1981-1985
- Bird Studies Canada: Ontario Breeding Bird Atlas 2001-2005
- Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility: North West Territories and Nunavut Bird Checklist, Canada
- Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility: Provincial Museum of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada. Birds (Aves)
- Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility: Royal British Columbia Museum
- Canadian Museum of Nature: Canadian Museum of Nature Bird Collection
- Cornell University Museum of Vertebrates: Bird Collection
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: SEAMAP - marine mammals, birds and turtles
- Marine Science Institute, UCSB: Paleobiology Database
- Museum of Comparative Zoology, Harvard University: MCZ Ornithology Collection
- Museum of Vertebrate Zoology: Terrestrial vertebrate specimens
- New Brunswick Museum: NBM birds
- Royal Ontario Museum: Bird specimens
- Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History: Santa Barbara Musem of Natural History
- The New York Botanical Garden: Bronx River Bioblitz
- UNIBIO, IBUNAM: CNAV/Coleccion Nacional de Aves
- University of Alaska Museum of the North: DGR Birds Specimens
- University of Colorado Museum: Zoological specimens
- University of Michigan Museum of Zoology (UMMZ): Bird specimens
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 11517
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-178156
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 2498402
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 178154
- IUCN ID: 201366
- Natural Heritage Network Species Identifier: ABNYF10020
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 13048