'The Nymphalidae are members
of the Superfamily
Papilionoidea, the true butterflies. Distributed worldwide, butterflies of this family
are especially rich in the tropics. They are highly variable, and there are more species in this family than in any other. Adults
vary in size from small to large, and their front legs
are reduced, unable to be used for walking. Wing
is also highly variable: some species have irregular margins
(anglewings and commas), and others have long taillike projections (daggerwings). Browns, oranges, yellows, and blacks are frequent colors, while iridescent
colors such as purples and blues are rare. Adults of some groups are the longest-lived butterflies, surviving 6-11 months. Adult feeding behavior depends on the species, where some groups primarily seek flower nectar while others only feed
, rotting fruit, dung, or animal carcasses. Males exhibit
behaviors when seeking mates. Egg-laying
varies widely, as some species lay eggs
in clustsers, others in columns, and others singly. Caterpillar appearance
and behavior vary widely. Brushfoots overwinter
as larvae or adults.
The Charaxinae are members of the Family Nymphalidae. These leafwings and relatives are primarily a tropical group of medium to large-sized, robust , fast-flying butterflies. In North America, they are limited to the leafwings.
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- A.M.A. Aguinaldo et al., 1997 ex T. Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Latreille, 1829
- Snodgrass, 1938
- Heymons, 1901
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- Order: Lepidoptera () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - Butterflies and Moths
- Superorder: Panorpida ()
- Cohort: Myoglossata ()
- Infraclass: Pterygota ()
- Subclass: Dicondylia ()
- Class: Insecta () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - Insects
- Epiclass: Hexapoda ()
- Superclass: Panhexapoda ()
- Infraphylum: Atelocerata () - Heymons, 1901
- Subphylum: Mandibulata () - Snodgrass, 1938
- Phylum: Arthropoda () - Latreille, 1829 - Arthropods
- Superphylum: Panarthropoda () - Cuvier
- Infrakingdom: Ecdysozoa () - A.M.A. Aguinaldo et al., 1997 ex T. Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Protostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Name Status: Accepted Name .
Members of the genus Charaxes
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 7 species and subspecies in this genus:
C. alpinus (Montane Charaxes) · C. bocqueti (Bocquets Demon Charaxes) · C. candiope (Green-Veined Charaxes) · C. catachrous (Silver Demon Charaxes) · C. etheocles (Demon Charaxes) · C. guderiana (Blue-Spangled Charaxes) · C. imperialis (Imperial Blue Charaxes)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A revision of the lepidopterous family Sphingidae. By the Hon. Walter Rothschild. .. and Karl Jordan. .. (With 67 plates). Issued at the Zoological Museum, Tring, March 1903. London, Printed by Hazell, Watson & Viney, Ld., 1903. url p. 25.
- Bulletin of the American Museum of Natural History. New YorkAmerican Museum of Natural History1881- url p. 205.
- Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History). London: The Museum, 1950-1977. url , , , p. 183, p. 193, p. 204, p. 207, p. 225.
- Elephant-hunting in east equatorial Africa; being an account of three years' ivory-hunting under Mount Kenia and among the Ndorobo savages of the Lorogi Mountains, including a trip to the north end of Lake Rudolph, by Arthur H. Neumann; with numerous illustrations by J.G. Millais, E. Caldwell and G.E. Lodge; coloured plate and map. London: R. Ward, limited, 1898. url p. 441.
- Lepidoptera of the Congo: being a systematic list of the butterflies and moths collected by the American Museum of Natural History Congo Expedition: together with descriptions of some hitherto undescribed species. New York?, 1920 url p. 205.
- Memoirs of the American Entomological Society. Philadelphia, American Entomological Society, 1916- url p. 202, p. 202.
- On a collection of Sierra Leone lepidoptera / London: R. H. Porter, 1893 url p. 8.
- On a collection of butterflies. London, 1880-98 url p. 251, p. 68, p. 823.
- Proceedings and transactions of the South London Entomological & Natural History Society. London: The Society. url p. 47.
- Proceedings of the South London Entomological & Natural History Society. London [Eng]: South London Entomological and Natural history Society, [1897-1933] url p. 91.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. 18 1895 Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 262.
- Scientific results of the Zoological Expedition to British East Africa and Uganda made by Prof. V. Dogiel and I. Sokolow in the year 1914. [Petrograd, 1916- url p. 33.
- The Annals and magazine of natural history; zoology, botany, and geology being a continuation of the Annals combined with Loudon and Charlesworth's Magazine of Natural History. London, Taylor and Francis, Ltd. url p. 68, p. 68.
- The Entomologist's monthly magazine. Oxford [etc.]Entomologist's Monthly Magazine Ltd. [etc.] url p. 52.
- The Entomologist's record and journal of variation. s.l., s.n. url p. 229, p. 385.
- The Entomologist. London: Simpkin, Marshall & Co., [1877- url p. 311, p. 411.
- The Hope reports. Oxford: Printed for private circulation, 1897-1958. url p. 52.
- The Journal of the Linnean Society of London. London: Academic Press [etc.], 1865-1968. url p. 353.
- The story of the rear column of the Emin Pasha Relief Expedition, New York, United States Books Co. url p. 439, p. 439.
- Transactions of the Entomological Society of London. London, The Society. url p. 193.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 17, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal February 26, 2008:
- National Institute of Genetics, ROIS: Entomological Specimens of Museum of Nature and Human Activities, Hyogo Pref., Japan
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 2961342
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: Lep-165322.0
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 1571909