Common Names in English:
'The Notodontidae are members
of the Superfamily
Noctuoidea. These medium-sized moths have stout bodies and are typically drab--brown or grayish in color. Female prominents
are generally larger than males. The proboscis varies widely; it is specialized in some species and reduced in others. When resting, prominents either hold
like a roof over the body or roll them, causing the moth to look like a stick
. Larvae of some species are oddly shaped and look like parts of the host plant. Others are brightly colored
and striped. Some are serious forest
pests. Most prominents overwinter
as larvae, pupating in a cell
in the soil or in a loose
on the ground
in the spring
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- A.M.A. Aguinaldo et al., 1997 ex T. Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Latreille, 1829
- Snodgrass, 1938
- Heymons, 1901
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- Order: Lepidoptera () - Linnaeus, 1758 - Butterflies and Moths
- Superorder: Amphiesmenoptera ()
- Cohort: Myoglossata ()
- Infraclass: Pterygota ()
- Subclass: Dicondylia ()
- Class: Insecta () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - Insects
- Epiclass: Hexapoda ()
- Superclass: Panhexapoda ()
- Infraphylum: Atelocerata () - Heymons, 1901
- Subphylum: Mandibulata () - Snodgrass, 1938
- Phylum: Arthropoda () - Latreille, 1829 - Arthropods
- Superphylum: Panarthropoda () - Cuvier
- Infrakingdom: Ecdysozoa () - A.M.A. Aguinaldo et al., 1997 ex T. Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Protostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Name Status: Accepted Name .
Members of the genus Cerura
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 3 species and subspecies in this genus:
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- Annual report / Albany: University of the State of New York, 1902-1918. url p. 102.
- Annual report / Entomological Society of Ontario. Toronto, The Society. url p. 118.
- Annual report of the New Jersey State Museum. Trenton, N.J.: MacCrellish & Quigley, url p. 489.
- Annual report of the New Jersey state museum. 1901-12, 1914. Trenton, New Jersey. [etc.]1902-15. url p. 489.
- Annual report of the Quebec Society for the Protection of Plants from Insects and Fungous Diseases. Quebec: The Society, 1909-1920. url p. 57.
- Annual report of the Regents / Albany: J.B. Lyon, State Printer, 1890-1903. url p. 429.
- Annual report on the New York State Museum of Natural History. Albany, Regents of the University of the State of New York. url p. 199.
- Catalog of hymenoptera in America north of Mexico / prepared cooperatively by specialists on the various groups of Hymenoptera under the direction of Karl V. Krombein. .. [et al.]. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1979- url p. 244.
- Entomological contributions by J.A. Lintner Albany: Weed, Parsons, 1872-1878 url p. 199, p. 199.
- Entomological news, and proceedings of the Entomological Section of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia[Entomological Rooms of the Academy of Natural Sciences] url p. 118, p. 118.
- Illinois biological monographs. Urbana, Univ. of Illinois Press. url p. 107.
- Insects affecting park and woodland trees / by Ephraim Porter Felt. Albany: New York State Education Department, 1905-06. url p. 743, p. 743, p. 816, p. 816, p. 858, p. 858.
- List of the specimens of lepidopterous insects in the collection of the British Museum / London: Printed by order of the Trustees, 1854-66. url p. 408.
- Memoirs of the National Academy of Sciences. Washington, D. C.: Government Printing Office, 1866- url p. 264, p. 276.
- Memorial of life and entomologic work of Joseph Albert Lintner, state entomologist, 1874-98, by Ephraim Porter Felt. Albany: University of the State of New York, 1899. url p. 429.
- Monograph of the bombycine moths of North America, including their transformations and origin of the larval markings and armature. By Alpheus Spring Packard. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1895-1914 url , p. 276.
- Museum bulletin / New York State Museum. Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1908-1916. url p. 102.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 71.
- Psyche. Cambridge, Mass.: Cambridge Entomological Club url p. 290.
- The Canadian entomologist. Ottawa [etc.]Entomological Society of Canada [etc.] url p. 48, p. 92, p. 92.
- The butterfly book; a popular guide to a knowledge of the butterflies of North America. By W.J. Holland. .. With 48 plates in color-photography, reproductions of butterflies in the author's collection, and many text illustrations presenting most of the species found in the United States. Garden City, N.Y., Doubleday, Page & Co., 1914. url .
- The classification of lepidopterous larvae, with ten plates, by Stanley Black Fracker. Urbana, University of Illinois, c1915 url p. 107, p. 107, p. 110.
- The moth book: a popular guide to a knowledge of the moths of North America / by W.J. Holland. New York: Doubleday, Page, 1915. url p. 299.
- The moth book; a popular guide to a knowledge of the moths of North America. .. With forty-eight plates in color photography and numerous illustrations in the text, reproducing specimens in the collection of the author, and in various public and private collections. 1916 Garden City, New York: Doubleday, Page & company, 1916. url p. 299.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 15, 2012.
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 2630867
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: Lep-58925.0
- Natural Heritage Network Species Identifier: IILEY0D010
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 171297
- http://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/taxonomy?f=31&sci=Notodontidae&com=Prominents [back]