- Common throughout North America, adult Turkey Vultures have reddish skin on their unfeathered heads .
Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Albanian:
Common Names in Basque:
Common Names in Czech:
Common Names in Danish:
Common Names in Dutch:
Common Names in English:
=Buzzard, Buzzard, Carrion Crow, John Crow, Red-necked Buzzard, Turkey Buzzard, Turkey Vulture
Common Names in Estonian:
Common Names in Finnish:
Common Names in French:
Catharte Aura, Urubu , urubu à tête rouge, urubu Ã tÃªte rouge
Common Names in Galician:
Common Names in German:
Common Names in Guarani:
Common Names in Haitian Creole French:
Common Names in Irish:
Common Names in Italian:
Common Names in Japanese:
Common Names in Latin:
Common Names in Lithuanian:
Common Names in Manx:
Common Names in Norwegian:
Common Names in Polish:
Common Names in Portuguese:
Common Names in Portuguese (Brazil):
Common Names in Slovak:
Common Names in Slovenian:
Common Names in Spanish:
Aura, Aura Gallipavo, Zopilote aura
Common Names in Spanish (Argentine):
Jote Cabeza Colorada
Common Names in Spanish (Costa Rica):
Common Names in Spanish (Cuba):
Common Names in Spanish (Dominican Republic):
Common Names in Spanish (Honduras):
Common Names in Spanish (Mexico):
Common Names in Spanish (Nicaragua):
Common Names in Spanish (Paraguay):
Cuervo Cabeza Roja
Common Names in Spanish (Uruguay):
Cuervo Cabeza Roja
Common Names in Swedish:
Common Names in Turkish:
Adult : Head : featherless, with red skin Face : Cere: red Eye Color: brown Bill: whitish Legs : Leg Color: flesh-yellow to whitish Wings : Shape : long and narrow Tail: Length : long Shape: narrow.Basic: Wings: Shape: long and narrow Tail: Length: long Shape: narrow.Young: Head: blackish Face: Cere: red Eye Color: brown Bill: whitish Legs: Leg Color: grayish Wings: Shape: long and narrow Tail: Length: long Shape: narrow.
: Red head
· Yellowish bill · Reddish legs
Immature : Gray head · Gray bill · Gray legs
Size: 69 cm (27 in) in length ; 175 cm (69 in) wingspan.
Vegetation: arid lowland scrubs, pastures and agricultural lands, tropical deciduous forests, gallery forests, tropical lowland evergreen forest, second-growth forests and woodlands, tropical lowland evergreen forest, pine forests, arid lowland scrubs, low seasonally wet grasslands • Maximum Elevation: 2,500 meters • Foraging Strata: Aerial • Center of Abundance: Lower tropical: lowlands, lower than 500 m.; tropics. • Sensitivity to Disturbance: Low
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 4,622 meters (0 to 15,164 feet).
List of Habitats
- 1 Forest
- 1.4 Forest - Temperate
- 1.5 Forest - Subtropical/Tropical Dry
- 1.6 Forest - Subtropical/Tropical Moist Lowland
- 1.9 Forest - Subtropical/Tropical Moist Montane
- 3 Shrubland
- 3.5 Shrubland - Subtropical/Tropical Dry
- 4 Grassland
- 4.6 Grassland - Subtropical/Tropical Seasonally Wet/Flooded
- 8 Desert
- 8.1 Desert - Hot
- 14 Artificial/Terrestrial
- 14.2 Artificial/Terrestrial - Pastureland
- 14.6 Artificial/Terrestrial - Subtropical/Tropical Heavily Degraded Former Forest
This species is a carrion feeder , eating almost any type of dead animal. It can be commonly seen on the roadside eating vehicle-killed animals. The Turkey Vulture uses both sight and scent to find its food. This species also creates large communal roosts, with many birds gathering in the same tree or group of trees in the evening.
The breeding season
begins in March, peaks from April to May, and
extends into June. This species will nest
in a variety of habitats
but usually in wooded areas. Nest sites include the ground
, on a cliff
, on a ledge, in a shed, or in a barn. No nest
is built and eggs
are usually laid on the ground, rocks, or other
substrate. The female lays
1-3 (usually 2) eggs that she and the
male incubate for 38-41 days. The young are semi-altricial and are
cared for by the adults
for 66-88 days after they hatch
. For the
first five days after they hatch, the young are brooded continuously
by the adults
Clutch Size: 2 Length of Incubation : 38-41 days Days to Fledge : 66-88 Number of Broods: 1
Short distance migrant
Though its dining habits are less than elegant, the vulture is an expert in using air currents and its physique to find carrion . It must search a great deal of territory to find a dead or dying creature for a meal . The vulture is too big to fly long distances efficiently by flapping its wings . Instead, it lets air currents and its large wingspan work for it. Rising columns of air, called thermals, are particularly useful. When one bird finds a good thermal and is climbing successfully, other birds often join, and soon the group can be seen circling around a common axis. It behooves the vulture to fly in steady circles of the smallest diameter, so it can stay near the center of the thermal core where the lift is the strongest. When a height of several hundred meters is attained, the vulture can leave the thermal and glide off, slowly descending , constantly searching the terrain. If a possible meal is sighted, the vulture can reach that point quickly by pouring its efforts into a steep dive. The steeper the angle , the faster the bird travels. He is often able to beat four-footed scavengers to the prey .
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Bateson, 1885
- Cuvier, 1812
- Jawed Vertebrates
- Goodrich, 1930
- Gauthier, 1986
- (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Pycraft, 1900
- Superorder: Falconimorphae () - Seebohm, 1890
- Cohort: Neognathae () - Pycraft, 1900
- Infraclass: Aves () - (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Subclass: Avialae () - Gauthier, 1986
- Class: Aves ()
- Superclass: Tetrapoda () - Goodrich, 1930
- Infraphylum: Gnathostomata () - auct. - Jawed Vertebrates
- Subphylum: Vertebrata () - Cuvier, 1812 - Vertebrates
- Phylum: Chordata () - Bateson, 1885 - Chordates
- Infrakingdom: Chordonia () - (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Deuterostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Cathartes aura (Linnaeus, 1758)
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 17-Oct-2001
The most similar species to the Turkey Vulture is the Black Vulture.
The Black Vulture has a black bald head. Most of the Black Vulture
wing appears black, except a few of the outer flight feathers which
create large white-appearing patches near the outer edges of the
wings. The wings of the Black Vulture are shorter and broader, and
the tail is also shorter.
The Black Vulture is also dark with an unfeathered head, but has a much differet shape in flight. It is short-winged, short-tailed, and intersperses glides on flat wings with quick, snappy wingbeats. Turkey Vultures lack the white patch at the wingtips and show contrast between paler flight feathers and darker coverts. Bald and Golden eagles are both superficially similar, but fly on flat wings, have feathered heads, and do not have contrastingly gray flight feathers. The Zone-tailed Hawk in the Southwest has a similar shape and flight style, but has a feathered head and white bands on a black tail.
Members of the genus Cathartes
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 10 species and subspecies in this genus:
C. aura (Red-Necked Buzzard) · C. aura aura (Turkey Vulture) · C. aura falklandicus (Falkland Turkey Vulture) · C. aura meridionalis (Turkey Vulture) · C. aura ruficollis (Turkey Vulture) · C. aura septentrionalis (Turkey Vulture) · C. aura teter (Turkey Vulture) · C. burrovianus (Lesser Yellow Headed Vulture) · C. burrovianus burrovianus (Lesser Yellow-Headed Vulture) · C. melambrotus (Greater Yellow-Headed Vulture)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A checklist of the vertebrate animals of Kansas / George D. Potts, Joseph T. Collins. [Lawrence, Kan.]: Museum of Natural History, University of Kansas, 1991. url p. 8.
- A dictionary of birds, by Alfred Newton, assisted by Hans Gadow, with contributions from Richard Lydekker. .. Charles S. Roy. .. and Robert W. Shufeldt. .. London, A. and C. Black, 1893-1896. url p. 470, p. 470.
- A distributional list of the birds of Arizona / Hollywood, Calif.: Cooper Ornithological Club, 1914. url , .
- A faunal investigation of western Rainy River District, Ontario / [Toronto: Royal Ontario Museum of Zoology], 1938. url p. 183.
- A flying trip to the tropics. A record of an ornithological visit to the United States of Colombia, South America and to the island of Curaçao, West Indies, in the year 1892, Cambridge [Mass.]Riverside press, 1895. url p. 154, p. 47, p. 48.
- A history of birds / London: Methuen & Co.,  url .
- A history of birds, by W. P. Pycraft, with an introd. by Ray Lankester. London, Methuen and Co. url p. 435.
- A history of the birds of Colorado, London, Witherby & Co., 1912. url .
- A key to the birds of the lower Yangtse Valley, with popular descriptions of the species commonly seen. By N. Gist Gee. .. and Lacy I. Moffett. Shanghai, Shanghai Mercury Limited, Print., 1917. url p. 49.
- A list of the birds of Florida / by Charles B. Cory. Boston: For sale by B. Whidden, 1896. url p. 12.
- A list of the birds of Maine, showing their distribution by counties and their status in each county. Prepared under the auspices of the United ornithologists of Maine by Ora W. Knight. .. Augusta, Kennebec journal print, 1897. url p. 165, p. 57.
- A list of the birds of Maryland / F.C. Kirkwood. Baltimore, Md., 1895. url p. 299.
- A list of the birds of Maryland, giving dates of the arrival, departure and nesting periods of our regular birds; also including stragglers and such others as no doubt occur but are not recorded. By F.C. Kirkwood. .. Baltimore: [Maryland Academy of Sciences], 1895. url p. 299, p. 299, p. 376, p. 376.
- A list of the birds of Maryland: giving dates of the arrival, departure and nesting periods of our regular birds, also including stragglers and such others as no doubt occur but are not recorded / Baltimore: Deutsch Lithographing & Print. Co.; 1895. url , .
- A list of the birds of eastern North America / by Charles B. Cory. Boston: For sale by B. Whidden, 1896. url p. 21.
- A manual of North American birds. By Robert Ridgway. Illustrated by 464 outline drawings of the generic characters. Philadelphia, J. B. Lippincott company, 1896. url p. 222, p. 64.
- A manual of North American birds. Philadelphia: J.B. Lippincott Co., 1900. url , , p. 222.
- A manual of the vertebrate animals of the northern United States: including the district north and east of the Ozark mountains, south of the Laurentian hills, north of the southern boundary of Virginia, and east of the Missouri river, inclusive of marine species / Chicago:A. C. McClurg, 1916. url .
- A manual of zoology / by Richard Hertwig New York: H. Holt, 1909, c1902 url p. 617.
- A manual of zoology, New York, H. Holt and Company, 1902. url .
- A naturalist in Brazil; the record of a year's observation of her flora, her fauna, and her people, by Konrad Guenther. .. translated by Bernard Miall. .. Boston, Houghton Mifflin Company, 1931. url p. 399.
- A naturalist in the Bahamas, John I. Northrop, October 12, 1861-June 25, 1891; a memorial volume / edited with a biographical introd. New YorkColumbia University Press1910 url p. 61.
- A naturalist in the Bahamas: John I. Northrop, October 12 1861 - June 25, 1891; a memorial volume, ed., with a biographical introduction by Henry Fairfield Osborn. New York, The Columbia university press[c1910] url p. 61.
- A naturalist in the Bahamas: New York, Columbia University Press[c1910] url .
- A popular handbook of the birds of the United States and Canada / Boston: Little, Brown, 1921. url , .
- A popular handbook of the ornithology of the United States and Canada: based on Nuttall's Manual / by Montague Chamberlain. Boston: Little, B., & Co., 1903. url p. 1, p. 419.
- A preliminary catalog of the birds of Missouri / Otto Widmann. St. Louis?: Academy of Sciences of St. Louis?1907? url p. 86, p. 86.
- A preliminary list of the birds found in Vermont / by George H. Perkins; assisted by Clifton D. Howe. Albany: Wynkoop Hallenbeck Crawford Co., 1901. url , p. 101.
- A preliminary list of the birds of Wayne County, Ohio. Columbus, Westbote Co., State Printers, 1896. url p. 253, p. 273.
- A preliminary review of the birds of Nebraska, with synopses, Omaha, 1904 url , .
- A study of Chiriquian antiquities, by George Grant MacCurdy. .. New Haven, Conn.: Yale University Press, 1911. url p. 122, p. 240.
- A study of the structure of feathers, with reference to their taxonomic significance, by Asa C. Chandler. Berkeley, University of California press, 1916. url p. 332.
- A supplement to The birds of Rhode Island / by Reginald Heber Howe, Jr. and Edward Sturtevant. Middletown, R.I.: [s.n.], 1903. url p. 14.
- A survey of natural areas in Brunswick County, North Carolina: for The North Carolina Natural Heritage Program, Coastal Natural Area Inventory Project / Raleigh: North Carolina Coastal Energy Impact Program, Office of Coastal Management, North Carolina Dept. of Natural Resources and Community Development, [1982?] url .
- A survey of natural areas in Tyrrell County, North Carolina: for The North Carolina Natural Heritage Program, Coastal Natural Area Inventory Project / Raleigh: North Carolina Coastal Energy Impact Program, Office of Coastal Management, North Carolina Dept. of Natural Resources and Community Development, [1982?] url p. 12.
- A synopsis of the Accipitres (diurnal birds of prey): comprising species and subspecies described up to 1920, with their characters and distribution / London: Wheldon & Wesley, 1922. url , , , , .
- A synoptical list of the Accipitres (diurnal birds of prey) Comprising species and subspecies, described up to 1919, with their characters and distribution, by H. Kirke Swann. London, J. Wheldon, 1920. url p. 2, p. 2, p. 3.
- A text-book in general zoo?logy, Cincinnati, American Book Company url .
- A textbook in general zoology, Cincinnati [etc.]American Book Company url .
- A-birding on a bronco, by Florence A. Merriam. Boston, Houghton, Mifflin, 1896. url , p. ix.
- American bird magazine, ornithology. Worcester, Mass.: C.K. Reed, 1903-1906. url p. 217.
- American ornithology, for home and school. [Worcester, Mass.: Charles K. Reed], 1901-. url p. 217.
- An early pleistocene avifauna from Inglis, Florida / by Gail Elaine Speaker Carr. 1981. url , p. 3, p. 35, p. 41, p. 42.
- An ethnographic collection from the Northern Ute in the Field Museum of Natural History / James W. VanStone. Chicago, Ill.: Field Museum of Natural History, 1997. url p. 4.
- Animal Ecology. Englewood Cliffs, N.J., Prentice-Hall, 1961. url p. 467.
- Animal aggregations, a study in general sociology. / by W. C. Allee. Chicago: The University of Chicago Press, 1931. url p. 399.
- Animal forms; a text-book of zoology, by David S. Jordan. .. and Harold Heath. New York: D. Appleton, 1907, c1902. url p. 219.
- Animal studies; a text-book of elementary zoology for use in high schools and colleges, New York, D. Appleton and company, 1903. url p. 451.
- Animals; a text-book of zoology, by David S. Jordan. .. Vernon L. Kellogg. .. and Harold Heath. New York, D. Appleton, 1907, c1902. url p. 219.
- Annals of the Carnegie Museum. [Pittsburgh]: Published by authority of the Board of Trustees of the Carnegie Institute, 1901- url p. 141, p. 191, p. 288, p. 549, p. 571, p. 585.
- Annotated checklist of bird and mammal species of Cocha Cashu Biological Station, Manu National Park, Peru / John W. Terborgh, John W. Fitzpatrick, Louise Emmons. 21 1984 Chicago: Field Museum of Natural History, 1984. url table 2 , p. 15.
- Annotated list of the Avery bird collection in the Alabama museum of natural history (Geological survey museum) University, Ala., 1921. url .
- Annotated list of the birds of Point Pelee. n.p., n.d. url p. 117.
- Annual report / Albany: University of the State of New York, 1902-1918. url p. 63.
- Annual report of the Bureau of American Ethnology to the Secretary of the Smithsonian Institution. Washington: U. S. Govt. Print. Off., 1897- url p. 110.
- Annual report of the New York Zoological Society. New York: The Society, 1897- url p. 202, p. 202.
- Annual report of the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture. .. Harrisburg, Pa.: The Dept., 1896- url p. 178.
- Ardea. Amsterdam, etc., Nederlandse Ornithlogische Unie, etc. url p. 58.
- Audubon and his journals, London, Nimmo, 1898. url , .
- Audubon and his journals, New York, C. Scribner, 1897. url , .
- Audubon and his journals, by Maria R. Audubon, with zoölogical and other notes by Elliott Coues. .. New York, C. Scribner's Sons, 1899. url p. 458.
- Audubon the naturalist; a history of his life and time, by Francis Hobart Herrick. .. New YorkD. Appleton-Century Company, incorporated, 1938. url , p. 498.
- Audubon, the naturalist; a history of his life and time, by Francis Hobart Herrick. New York, Appleton[c1917] url p. 492.
- Biosphere Reserves, Compilation 5, October 1990: programme on man and the biosphere (MAB) IUCN url p. 119.
- Bird homes. The nests, eggs and breeding habits of the land birds breeding in the eastern United States; with hints on the rearing and photographing of young birds, New York, Doubleday & McClure Co., 1900. url , , .
- Bird homes: The nests, eggs and breeding habits of the land birds breeding in the eastern United States with hints on the rearing and photographing of young birds / New York: Doubleday, Page & Co., 1903. url , , , .
- Bird homes: the nests, eggs and breeding habits of the land birds breeding in the eastern United States, with hints on the rearing and photographing of young birds / New York: Doubleday & McClure, 1920, c1904. url , , , .
- Bird homes: the nests, eggs, and breeding habits of the land birds breeding in the eastern United States; with hints on the rearing and photographing of young birds / New York: Doubleday, Page, 1905, c1904. url , , , .
- Bird lice from the Tinamidae. 24 1943 Chicago, 1943. url p. 391.
- Bird notes afield; a series of essays on the birds of California, by Charles A. Keeler. San Francisco, D.P. Elder & M. Shepard, 1899. url p. 269.
- Bird notes afield; essays on the birds of the Pacific coast with a field check list, by Charles Keeler; illustrated with reproductions of photographs. San Franciso and New York, P. Elder and company[1907, c1906] url p. 159.
- Bird studies; an account of the land birds of eastern North America, London, G. P. Putnam's Sons, 1898. url .
- Bird-life: a guide to the study of our common birds / New York: D. Appleton, 1917, c1901. url .
- Bird-life; a guide to the study of our common birds, by Frank M. Chapman. .. With seventy-five full-page colored plates after drawings by Ernest Seton Thompson. New York, D. Appleton and co., 1919 [c1901] url p. 190.
- Birds & nature magazine. Chicago, nature study publishing company [etc.]1896-1907. url p. 219.
- Birds and fishes. By H. H. Kopman. New Orleans, American Printing Co., Ltd., 1904 url p. 18.
- Birds and nature. Chicago, Ill.: A.W. Mumford, Publisher, 1900-1907. url p. 219.
- Birds in Kansas / Max C. Thompson & Charles Ely. 1 Lawrence, Kan.: University of Kansas, Museum of Natural History: c1989- url p. 125, p. 397, p. xi.
- Birds in their relation to man; Philadelphia and London, J. B. Lippincott company, 1935. url p. 267.
- Birds in their relations to man: a manual of economic ornithology for the United States and Canada / by Clarence M. Weed and Ned Dearborn. Philadelphia; Lippincott, 1916. url p. 267.
- Birds in their relations to man; a manual of economic ornithology for the United States and Canada / by Clarence M. Weed and Ned Dearborn. London: Lippincott, 1916. url p. 267.
- Birds of Arkansas. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1911. url .
- Birds of Buzzard's Roost, one for each week, and other essays, by William Watson Woollen; with fifty-two colored plates, twenty-one half-tone photogravures, and twelve text figures. 1907 Indianapolis, Ind., Scott-Miller Company, 1907. url index of orders and families, page 323, p. 327, p. 51, chapter IX.
- Birds of California: an introduction to more than three hundred common birds of the state and adjacent islands, with a supplementary list of rare migrants, accidental visitants, and hypothetical subspecies / Chicago: A.C. McClurg, 1912, c1903. url , .
- Birds of California; an introduction to more than three hundred common birds of the state and adjacent islands, with a supplementary list of rare migrants, accidental visitants, and hypothetical subspecies, Chicago, A.C. McClurg, 1916. url .
- Birds of Kansas, by Benjamin F. Eyer. .. Topeka, Kan., Crane & Company, 1900. url p. 112.
- Birds of La Plata / London: E. P. Dutton, 1920. url .
- Birds of La Plata, by W. H. Hudson, with twenty-two coloured illustrations by H. Gronvold. .. London [etc.]: E.P. Dutton & Co., 1920. url p. 89, p. 89.
- Birds of Labrador / Boston: Boston Society of Natural History, 1907. url .
- Birds of Labrador / by Charles W. Townsend and Glover M. Allen. Boston: Printed for the Society, 1907. url p. 364.
- Birds of New York / Albany: University of the State of New York, 1914. url .
- Birds of New York / by Elon Howard Eaton. Albany: University of the State of New York, 1910-1914. url p. 63, p. 63.
- Birds of New York Albany, University of the State of New York, 1910-14 url p. 63.
- Birds of New York, Albany, University of the State of New York, 1910-14. url .
- Birds of South Carolina, Charleston, S.C., [The Daggett Printing Co.]1910. url .
- Birds of South Carolina, by Arthur Trezevant Wayne. With an introduction by the editor. Charleston, S.C., [The Daggett Printing Co.]1910. url p. 228.
- Birds of South Dakota. By William H. Over and Craig S. Thoms. Vermillion [!]: University of South Dakota, 1920 [i.e. 1921] url p. 80.
- Birds of Washington and vicinity, including adjacent parts of Maryland and Virginia, by Mrs. L. W. Maynard, with introduction by Florence A. Merriam. .. Washington, D. C., 1898. url p. 148, p. 148, p. 198, p. 198.
- Birds of Washington and vicinity: including adjacent parts of Maryland and Virginia / by Mrs. L. W. Maynard; with introduction by Florence Merriam Bailey. Washington, D. C.: Woodward & Lothrop, 1902. url p. 148, p. 204, p. 204.
- Birds of a Maryland farm: a local study of economic ornithology / Washington; G.P.O., 1902. url .
- Birds of eastern Canada / Ottawa: F.A. Acland, 1922. url .
- Birds of eastern Canada / Ottawa: J. de L. Tache?, 1919. url , .
- Birds of eastern Canada / by P. A. Taverner. Ottawa: F. A. Acland, 1922. url p. 121.
- Birds of eastern Canada / by P.A. Taverner. Ottawa: Canada Dept. of Mines, Geological Survey, 1919. url p. 115.
- Birds of eastern Canada, by P. A. Taverner. Ottawa, J. de L. Tache?, printer, 1919. url p. 115, p. 275.
- Birds of eastern Canada, by P.A. Taverner. Ottawa, J. de L. Taché, Printer, 1919. url p. 115.
- Birds of eastern North America, Garden City, N. Y., Doubleday, Page & Company, 1912. url , .
- Birds of lakeside and prairie, by Edward B. Clark, with sixteen illustrations in color. 1901 Chicago, A.W. Mumford url index, page 147, p. 147, p. 150, p. 150.
- Birds of the Huachuca mountains, Arizona, by Harry S. Swarth. Los Angeles, Cal.: The Club, 1904. url p. 5, p. 67.
- Birds of the Kansas City region [by] Harry Harris. [St. Louis, Mo.]1919 url p. 259.
- Birds of the Pacific coast, including a brief account of the distribution and habitat of one hundred and eighteen birds that are more or less common to the Pacific coast states and British Columbia, many of which are found east by Willard Ayres Eliot; with fifty-six color plates, by R. Bruce Horsfall. 1923 New York, G. P. Putnam's sons, 1923. url p. 182.
- Birds of the Pacific slope of Los Angeles County: a list with brief notes / [Pasadena, Calif.: Pasadena Academy of Sciences], 1898 url .
- Birds of the Papago Saguaro National Monument and the neighboring region, Arizona, by H. S. Swarth. Contribution from the Museum of Vertebrate Zoology of the University of California. Washington, D.C.: Govt. Print. Off., 1920. url p. 54.
- Birds of the Rockies, by Leander S. Keyser... with eight full-page plates [four in color] by Louis Agassiz Fuertes; many illustrations in the text by Bruce Horsfall, and eight views of localities from photographs; with a c Chicago, A. C. McClurg and co., 1902. url p. 320, p. 320.
- Birds of the world for young people, New York, F.A. Stokes Company url , .
- Birds of the world; a popular account. With a chapter on the anatomy of birds, by Frederic A. Lucas; the whole edited by Robert Ridgway. New York, Holt, 1909. url p. 204, p. 852.
- Birds of village and field a bird book for beginners / Toronto: McClelland & Goodchild,  url , .
- Birds of village and field: a bird book for beginners, by Florence A. Merriam. Illustrated. Boston, Houghton, Mifflin and company, 1898. url p. 263, p. 400.
- Birds of western New York. Rochester, N.Y., The Society, 1901. url p. 33.
- Birds that hunt and are hunted: life histories of one hundred and seventy birds of prey, game birds and water-fowls, by Neltje Blanchan [pseud.] with introduction by G. O. Shields (Coquina) with many photographic illustrations in color and in black and white. New York: Doubleday, Page & company, 1908,  url p. 304.
- Birds that hunt and are hunted; life histories of one hundred and seventy birds of prey, game birds and water-fowls, Garden City, N. Y., Doubleday, Page, 1912 [c1904] url .
- Birds. Collected excerpts from v. 10 of Reports of explorations and surveys, to ascertain the most practicable and economical route for a railroad from the Mississippi River to the Pacific Ocean. [n. p., 19--?] url .
- Birds: their photographs and home life / by A. H. Cordier. .. with 145 illustrations from photographs of wild birds, by the author. Philadelphia: Dorrance, c1923. url p. 99, p. 99.
- Birds; a miscellaneous collection of 37 pamphlets about birds. Collected and privately bound by Alvin Seale, 1914. v.p., 1910-1913 url p. 38, p. 39, p. 67.
- Brigham Young University science bulletin. 9 1967 Provo, Utah: Brigham Young University, [1955-1976] url p. 22, p. 30, p. 68.
- Bulletin / Chicago Natural History Museum. [Chicago, Ill.]: The Museum, [1944-1966] url p. 8.
- Bulletin / Illinois Natural History Survey. Urbana, State of Illinois, Dept. of Registration and Education, Natural History Survey Division, 1918-1985. url p. 459.
- Bulletin / Peabody Museum of Natural History. 1972 New Haven: Peabody Museum of Natural History, url p. 101, p. 103, fig. 12, p. 300, p. 310, p. 331, p. 51.
- Bulletin / Smithsonian Institution, Bureau of American Ethnology. Washington: G.P.O., 1901-1971. url p. 119, p. 128, p. 48, p. 73, p. 81.
- Bulletin of the Bird Club of Princeton University. Princeton, N.J.: The Club, 1901. url , p. 20, p. 22, p. 28, p. 46.
- Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History). London: BM(NH) url p. 210.
- Bulletin of the Department of Agriculture, Trinidad and Tobago. Trinidad: Dept. of Agriculture, 1914-1927. url p. 178.
- Bulletin of the U.S. Department of Agriculture. [Washington, D.C.?]: Supt. of Docs., G.P.O., 1913-1923. url p. 133.
- Bulletin, Gulf Biologic Station, Baton Rouge, Louisiana State Board of Agriculture and Immigration., 1902-1910. url p. 81.
- California fish and game. [San Francisco, etc.]: State of California, Resources Agency, Dept. of Fish and Game. url , p. 184, p. 190, p. 201, p. 206, p. 284, p. 287, p. 312, p. 317, p. 335, p. 67.
- Cassinia. Philadelphia: Delaware Valley Ornithological Club, 1901- url p. 14, p. 40, p. 41, p. 44, p. 44, p. 47, p. 51, p. 55, p. 65, p. 65, p. 67, p. 72, p. 79, p. 83, p. 83, p. 87, p. 87, p. 97.
- Catalogue of British Columbia birds. Victoria, B.C., Printed by R. Wolfenden, 1904. url , , p. 28.
- Catalogue of Canadian birds / by John Macoun and James M. Macoun. Ottawa: Canada Dept. of Mines, Geological Survey Branch, 1909. url p. 239.
- Catalogue of Canadian birds, Ottawa, Government Printing Bureau, 1909. url .
- Catalogue of Canadian birds, by John Macoun. .. and James M. Macoun. .. Ottawa, Government printing bureau, 1909. url p. 239.
- Catalogue of Canadian birds. .. Ottawa, Printed by S. E. Dawson, 1900-04. url .
- Catalogue of a collection of birds from Guatemala, by Ned Dearborn. 1 1907 Chicago, 1907. url p. 81.
- Catalogue of birds of the Americas and the adjacent islands in Field Museum of Natural History. by Charles E. Hellmayr and Boardman Conover. 13 1949 Chicago: Field Museum of Natural History, 1949. url p. 11, p. 12, p. 13, p. 8, p. 9.
- Catalogue of scientific papers (1800-1900) Comp. by the Royal society of London. Cambridge, C. J. Clay and sons, 1867-1902; url p. 320, p. 357, p. 520, p. 749, p. 934.
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. Compiled by the Royal Society of London. London, C.J. Clay and Sons, 1867-1902 [etc.] Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1914-25. url p. 320, p. 357, p. 520, p. 749, p. 934.
- Catalogue of the Collection of Birds' Eggs in the British Museum / By E. W. Oates [and afterwards] by S. G. Reid [and] W. R. Ogilvie-Grant. London, 1901-12. url p. 221, p. 222.
- Catalogue of the collection of birds' eggs in the British museum (Natural history). London: Printed by order of the Trustees, 1901-12. url p. 221, p. 222.
- Chapters on the natural history of the United States / by R. W. Shufeldt. New York: Studer Brothers, 1900. url p. 12, p. 223, p. 224.
- Check list of New York birds, Albany, University of the State of New York, 1900. url , .
- Check list of New York birds, by Marcus S. Farr. Albany: University of the State of New York, 1900. url p. 283, p. 400.
- Check list of the birds of Ontario and catalogue of birds in the biological section of the Museum / Department of Education. Toronto: Dept. of Education, 1900. url p. 28.
- Check list of the vertebrates of Ontario and catalogue of specimens in the biological section of the Provincial museum. Birds. Toronto, L. K. Cameron, printer to the king's most excellent Majesty, 1905. url p. 38.
- Check-list and bibliography on the occurrence of insects in birds' nests. Ames, Iowa State College Press url p. 396.
- Check-list of North American birds, New York, American ornithologists' union, 1910. url , .
- Check-list of North American birds. [Ithaca, N.Y.]1957. url p. 659, p. 684, p. 687, p. 98.
- Check-list of North American birds: the species of birds of North America from the Arctic through Panama, including the West Indies and Hawaiian Islands / prepared by the Committee on Classification and Nomenclature of the American Orni Lawrence, Kan.: American Ornithologists' Union, 1983. url p. 802, p. 98.
- Check-list of birds of the world. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1931-1987. url p. 191, p. 275, p. 276.
- Checklist of CITES Species and Annotated CITES Appendices and Reservations CITES Secretariat, UNEP-WCMC url p. 24, p. 40, p. 8.
- Checklist of CITES Species: a reference to the appendices to the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora CITES url p. 233, p. 235, p. 32, p. 8, p. 91.
- College zoology, New York, The Macmillan company, 1912 url p. 604.
- College zoology, by Robert W. Hegner. New York, The Macmillan company, 1912. url p. 604.
- College zoology. New YorkMacmillan1918 url p. 604.
- Color key to North American birds, with bibliographical appendix, by Frank M. Chapman. .. with upwards of 800 drawings, by Chester A. Reed, B.S. New York, D. Appleton & Company, 1912. url p. 129, p. 129, p. 336.
- Color key to North American birds; with bibliographical appendix. New York, D. Appleton, 1912. url , .
- Contents and index to volume 1 / Charles B. Cory. 1 1917 Chicago: Natural History Museum, 1917. url p. 349.
- Contributions to avian palaeontology from the Pacific coast of North America, by Loye Holmes Miller. Berkeley, University of California press, 1912. url p. 113, p. 113, p. 71, p. 71, p. 73, p. 73, p. 75, p. 75, p. 78, p. 78, p. 84, p. 84, p. 86, p. 86, p. 90, p. 91, p. 92, p. 92.
- Diseases and enemies of poultry / by Leonard Pearson and B.H. Warren. [Harrisburg, Pa.]: C.M. Busch, 1897. url p. 41.
- Diseases and enemies of poultry. Pearson & Warren. Harrisburg, C.M. Busch, state printer, 1897 url p. 137.
- Diseases of poultry part 1 / by Leonard Pearson. Enemies of poultry: part 2 / by B.H. Warren. Harrisburg, Pa.: C.M. Busch, state printer, 1897. url , , .
- Ectoparasites of Panama. Rupert L. Wenzel [and] Vernon J. Tipton, editors. Chicago, Field Museum of Natural History, 1966. url p. 830.
- Eggs of native Pennsylvania birds: a world's fair collection / owned and exhibited by J. Warren Jacobs. Waynesburg, Pa.: Independent Job Department, 1895. url p. 7.
- Elementary zoology / by Vernon L. Kellogg. New York: H. Holt and company, 1902. url p. 475.
- "Every bird;" a guide to the identification of the birds of woodland, beach and ocean. With one hundred and twenty-four line illustrations by the author, Reginald Heber Howe, jr. Boston, B. Whidden, 1896. url p. 187.
- FWS/0BS. [Washington]Fish and Wildlife Service, U.S. Dept. of the Interior. url p. 137.
- Far and near, by John Burroughs. Boston, Houghton, Mifflin, 1904. url p. 280.
- Fauna of New England, 11: list of the aves / by Glover M. Allen. Boston: Society of Natural History, 1909. url p. 95.
- Fauna of New England. Boston, Printed for the [Boston] Society [of Natural History] from the Gurdon Saltonstall Fund, 1904-25. url p. 95.
- Fauna of New England. List of the Araneida. Boston, For Society, 1908. url .
- Fauna of New England. by Glover M. Allen. Boston: Society of Natural History, 1909. url p. 95.
- Field book of birds of the Panama Canal Zone; a description on the habits, call notes and songs of the birds of the Panama Canal Zone, for the purpose of identifying them. Many of these birds are also common in Central and South America. By Bertha Bement Sturgis; with over 100 illustrations, colour plates, pen-and-ink sketches, and a map of the Panama Canal Zone. London, G. P. Putnam's sons, 1928. url .
- Fishery circular / U.S. Department of Commerce, Bureau of Fisheries. [Washington]: The Bureau, 1931-1939. url p. 90.
- Game birds and birds of prey life histories of one hundred and seventy birds of prey, game birds and waterfowls / by Neltje Blanchan; with introduction by G.O. Shields (Coquina). Toronto: G. Morang, 1898. url p. 304.
- Game birds. Life histories of one hundred and seventy birds of prey, game birds and water-fowls Garden City, N.Y.Doubleday, Page, 1922, c1917. url .
- Genera insectorum / publiés par P. Wytsman. Bruxelles, L. Desmet-Verteneuil [etc.]1902-1970. url p. 42, p. 56.
- Gleanings from nature / J. Warren Jacobs. Waynesburg, Pa.: Independent Book & Job Office, 1898- url p. 5.
- Great Basin naturalist memoirs. 1976 [Provo, Utah]Brigham Young University, 1976-1992. url p. 227.
- Guide to taxidermy, by Chas. K. Reed and Chester A. Reed. Illustrated by drawings and photographs of mounted specimens by the authors and Mr. N. F. Stone. Worcester, Mass., C.K. Reed, 1914. url p. 259.
- Habit and instinct. LondonE. Arnold1896 url p. 221.
- Handbook of birds of eastern North America / by Frank M. Chapman. New York: D. Appleton, 1904. url p. 191, p. 420.
- Handbook of birds of the western United States: including the Great Plains, Great Basin, Pacific Slope, and lower Rio Grande Valley / by Florence Merriam Bailey. Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1915, c1902. url p. 145.
- History of Pasadena, comprising an account of the native Indian, Pasadena, Cal., Pasadena history company, 1895. url p. 595.
- Homing with the birds; the history of a lifetime of personal experience with the birds, Garden City, Doubleday, Page & Company, 1919. url .
- IUCN Directory of Neotropical Protected Areas IUCN url p. 21, p. 79.
- Illinois River Bluffs area assessment / Illinois Department of Natural Resources, Office of Scientific Research and Analysis, [and the] State Geological Survey Division. Springfield, Ill.: Illinois Dept. of Natural Resources, 1998- url p. 72.
- Insects of Porto Rico and the Virgin Islands. New York, The Academy. url p. 274, p. 579.
- Intelligence in plants and animals: New York, Doubleday, Page & co., 1900 url p. 257.
- International catalogue of scientific literature. LondonPublished for the International Council by the Royal Society of London1901-1920 url p. 105, p. 121, p. 39.
- Journal of ethnobiology. 20 2000 Flagstaff, Ariz.: Center for Western Studies, 1981- url p. 138, p. 152, p. 211, p. 27, p. 93.
- Journal of researches into the natural history and geology of the countries visited during the voyage round the world of H.M.S. "Beagle" under the command of Captain Fitz Roy, R.N. / London: J. Murray, 1913. url .
- Key to North American birds. Containing a concise account of every species of living and fossil bird at present known from the continent north of the Mexican and United States boundary, inclusive of Greenland and Lower California Boston, Estes and Lauriat, 1896. url p. 883.
- Labrador, the country and the people, New York, The Macmillan co., 1913. url .
- Labrador: the country and the people / by Wilfred T. Grenfell and others. New York: Macmillan Co., 1909. url p. 474.
- Lake Maxinkuckee. A physical and biological survey by Barton Warren Evermann...and Howard Walton Clark... [Indianapolis, Wm. B. Burford, printer]1920. url p. 539, p. 647, p. 657.
- Lake Maxinkuckee: a physical and biological survey / by Barton Warren Evermann and Howard Walton Clark. Indianapolis: Dept. of Conservation, 1920. url p. 539, p. 657.
- Life and immortality; or, Souls in plants and animals. By George G. Gentry. Philadelphia, Burk & McFetridge Co., c1897. url p. 257.
- Life and sport on the north shore of the lower St. Lawrence and Gulf, containing chapters on salmon fishing, trapping, the folk-lore of the Montagnais Indians and tales of adventure on the fringe of the Labrador peninsula. By Napoleon A. Comeau. Quebec, Daily Telegraph Printing House, 1909. url p. 434.
- List of the vertebrated animals now or lately living in the gardens of the Zoological Society of London. London, Printed for the Society, 1896. url p. 406, p. 406.
- Lost and vanishing birds; being a record of some remarkable extinct species and a plea for some threatened forms, by Charles Dixon. With ten plates by Charles Whymper. London, J. Macqueen, 1898. url p. 292.
- Louisiana herpetology, with a checklist of the batrachians and reptiles of the state and the avifauna of Louisiana, with an annotated list of the birds of the state / by George E. Beyer. New Orleans: [s.n.]1900. url p. 24.
- Manitoba birds of prey and the small mammals destroyed by them / by A.[i.e. G]E. Atkinson. [Winnipeg?: s.n.], 1899 url p. 4.
- Memo?rias do Instituto Oswaldo Cruz. Rio de Janeiro. url p. 104, p. 113, p. 177, p. 179, p. 254.
- Memoirs of the San Diego Society of Natural History. 13 1984 San Diego, Calif.: The Society, 1931-1989. url p. 246, p. 268, p. 41, maps 4-5, page 42, p. xv.
- Michigan bird life, a list of all the bird species known to occur in the state together with an outline of their classification and an account of the life history of each species, wtih special reference to its relation t [Lansing]Michigan Agricultural College, 1912. url , .
- Michigan bird life: a list of all the bird species known to occur in the State together with an outline of their classification and an account of the life history of each species, with special reference to its relation t by Walter Bradford Barrows. Lansing: Michigan Agricultural College, 1912. url p. 254, p. 799.
- Migration of birds. by Frederick C. Linclon; revised by Steven R. Peterson; associate editor Peter A. Anastasi; illustrated by Bob Hines. Washington: Dept. of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service: for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off., 1979. url p. 118.
- Miscellaneous publication - University of Kansas, Museum of Natural History. 1965 Lawrence: University of Kansas, 1946-1996. url p. 15, p. 16, p. 2, p. 51.
- Miscellaneous publications / University of Michigan, Museum of Zoology. Ann Arbor, Mich.: The University, 1916- url p. 37.
- Museum paper / Alabama Museum of Natural History. University, Ala.: Alabama Museum of Natural History, 1910-1960. url p. 46.
- Museum paper. University, Ala. [etc.]1910- url p. 46.
- Natural history of the Tres Marias Islands, Mexico. Washington, Govt. Print Off., 1899. url p. 37.
- Natural history, New York, D. Appleton and company, 1897. url .
- Natural history, by R. Lydekker [and others] London, Hutchinson, 1897. url p. 304, p. 733.
- Natural history, by R. Lydekker, W. F. Kirby, B. B. Woodward, R. Kirpatrick, R. I. Pocock, R. Bowdler Sharpe, W. Garstang, F. A. Bather, H. M. Bernard. New York, D. Appleton and company, 1897. url p. 304.
- Naturalist's guide to the Americas, prepared by the Committee on the Preservation of Natural Conditions of the Ecological Society of America, with assistance from numerous organizations and individuals, assembled and edited by chairman, Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins, 1926. url p. 756, p. 756.
- Nests and eggs of North American birds, Philadelphia, D. McKay[c1900] url , .
- North American birds eggs, New York, Doubleday, Page & company, 1904. url .
- North American birds eggs, by Chester A. Reed...illustrating the eggs of nearly every species of North American birds. New York, Doubleday, Page & company, 1904. url p. 337.
- North American birds eggs. New York: Dover Pub, . url p. 153, p. 337.
- Notes on a collection of birds from Michoacan, Mexico, by Emmet R. Blake and Harold C. Hanson. 22 1942 [Chicago]1942. url p. 556.
- Occasional papers of the Museum of Natural History, the University of Kansas. 1991 Lawrence, Kan.: The University, 1971-1994. url p. 7.
- On the birds' highway; Boston, Small, Maynard & Company, 1899. url .
- On the intestinal tract of birds; with remarks on the valuation and nomenclature of zoological characters. By P. Chalmers Mitchell. .. London, 1901 url p. 205.
- Ornithology of North Carolina: A list of the birds of North Carolina, with notes of each species / [by John Washington Pearce Smithwick]. [Raleigh], 1897. url p. 210.
- Our feathered friends / by Elizabeth Grinnell and Joseph Grinnell. Boston [Mass.]: D.C. Heath, c1898. url p. 14.
- Our living resources: a report to the nation on the distribution, abundance, and health of U.S. plants, animals, and ecosystems / [edited by], Edward T. LaRoe. .. [et al.]. Washington, DC: U.S. Dept. of the Interior, National Biological Service, 1995. url p. 490, p. 526.
- Outlines of economic zoölogy, by Albert M. Reese. .. with 194 illustrations. Philadelphia, P. Blakiston's Son & Co.[c1919] url , .
- P.D. Skaar's Montana bird distribution / revised by the Montana Bird Distribution Committee. [Helena, MT]:Montana Natural Heritage Program, 1996 url p. 28.
- Pacific coast avifauna / Cooper Ornithnological Club of California. Santa Clara, Calif.: The Club, 1900-1974. url p. 121, p. 121, p. 158, p. 158, p. 19, p. 194, p. 24, p. 24, p. 31, p. 31, p. 5, p. 5, p. 6, p. 6, p. 63, p. 67, p. 67, p. 83.
- Pamphlets on forestry in Maryland. [1900?- url p. 297.
- Papers presented to the World's congress on ornithology; Chicago, C. H. Sergel company, 1896. url .
- Point Lobos Reseerve; State Park, California. Interpretation of a primitive landscape. Sacramento, [State Print. Off., 1954] url p. 95.
- Postilla. 1968 New Haven, Conn.: Peabody Museum of Natural History, [1950?]-c2004. url p. 13, p. 4, p. 4, p. 5, p. 54, p. 62.
- Potential wildlife-highway interactions at select mile-markers along Montana Department of Transportation routes an ArcView GIS analysis / Bozeman, Mont.: Fish and Wildlife Management Program, Montana State University, 2001 url .
- Proceedings - California Academy of Sciences, 4th series. San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences. url p. 430.
- Proceedings of the California Academy of Sciences, 4th series. San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences. url p. 430, p. 518, p. 569, p. 590, p. 599, p. 797.
- Proceedings of the Natural History Association of Miramichi. Chatham, N.B.: The Association, 1899-1901. url p. 24.
- Proceedings of the Nebraska Ornithologists' Union. Lincoln, [1900-15] url p. 23, p. 72, p. 73.
- Proposed estuarine sanctuary grant award to the state of New York for a Hudson River estuarine sanctuary. Albany, N.Y.: New York, Dept. of Environmental Conservation,  url p. 121.
- Provincial Museum of Natural History and Enthnology. Victoria, B.C., Printed by Richard Wolfenden, 1909. url p. 43.
- Publication / Institute of Social Anthropology. Washington: U.S. Govt. Print. Off., 1944- url p. 154.
- Publications in zoology = Publications en zoologie. Ottawa: National Museums of Canada, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1970-1982. url p. 50.
- Report of the Secretary of the Smithsonian Institution and financial report of the Executive Committee of the Board of Regents for the year ending June 30. .. Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution, 1933-1965. url p. 104, p. 105, p. 106, p. 118, p. 120, p. 137, p. 147, p. 149, p. 149, p. 150, p. 154, p. 166, p. 70, p. 81, p. 82, p. 82, p. 86, p. 94.
- Reports of the Princeton University Expeditions to Patagonia, 1896-1899. J. B. Hatcher in charge. Edited by William B. Scott. Princeton, The University, 1901-32 [v. 1, 1903] url p. 354, p. 354, p. 546, p. 546, p. 547, p. 547, p. 550, p. 550, p. 551.
- Results of a biological survey of Mount Shasta, California, Washington, Govt Print. Off., 1899. url , , , .
- Results of a biological survey of mount Shasta, California, by C. Hart Merriam, chief of Divison of Biological Survey. Washington, U.S. Dept. of Agriculture. Div. of Biological Survey: 1899. url p. 111, p. 54.
- Rock River area assessment / Illinois Department of Natural Resources, Office of Scientific Research and Analysis, Natural History Survey Division, in conjunction with State Geological Survey Division. Springfield, IL: Illinois Dept. of Natural Resources, 1996- url p. 132.
- Rod and gun. Beaconsfield, Que. [etc.]Rod and Gun Pub. Co. [etc.] url p. 346.
- Rough notes and memoranda relating to the natural history of the Bermudas, London, R.H. Porter, 1897. url , .
- Social feeding behavior of birds. 36 1954 [Chicago]Chicago Natural History Museum, 1954. url p. 7.
- Special papers / Ohio Academy of Sciences. Columbus, Ohio: The Academy, 1899-1929. url p. 235, p. 87.
- Special scientific report--wildlife / U.S. Department of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service. Washington, D.C.: The Service, 1949- url p. 12, p. 8.
- Spring notes from Tennessee, by Bradford Torrey. Boston, Houghton, Mifflin and company, 1896. url p. 213, p. 213, p. 213.
- Station bulletin. Durham, N.H.: Agricultural Experiment Station, University of New Hampshire, 1948- url p. 103, p. 35.
- Stories of bird life, by T. Gilbert Pearson. .. with illustrations by and under the supervision of John L. Ridgway. Richmond, B. F. Johnson publishing company, 1901. url p. 227, p. 227.
- Syllogeus. Ottawa, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1972-1995. url p. 10, p. 6.
- Teachers' manual of bird-life: a guide to the study of our common birds / by Frank M. Chapman. New York: D. Appleton and Co., 1899. url p. 190.
- Technical report: Illinois natural areas inventory / by the Department of Landscape Architecture, Univeristy of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, and the Natural Land Institute, Rockford, Illinois. Urbana: Dept. of Landscape Architecture, University of Illinois and Natural Land Institute, 1978. url p. 413.
- Terry Badlands nongame survey and inventory: final report (May 1979-July 1980) / research conducted by Montana Dept. of Fish, Wildlife and Parks, Research Bureau, prepared by Arnold R. Dood. [Helena: Wildlife Division]1980. url p. 22.
- The American midland naturalist. Notre Dame, Ind., University of Notre Dame. url p. 104.
- The American natural history; a foundation of useful knowledge of the higher animals of North America, New York, C. Scribner's Sons, 1914. url .
- The Bahama Islands / edited by George Burbank Shattuck. [Baltimore]: Johns Hopkins Press; 1905. url p. 362, p. 362.
- The Bahama Islands, London, The Macmillan company, 1905. url p. 362, p. 362.
- The Bermuda islands: an account of their scenery, climate, productions, physiography, natural history and geology, with sketches of their discovery and early history, and the changes in their flora and fauna due to man; with 38 plates and over 250 cuts in the text / by Addison E. Verrill. New Haven, Conn.: The author, 1902. url p. 252, p. 486.
- The Biological bulletin. Woods Hole, Mass.: Marine Biological Laboratory, url p. 251.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. 34 1920 Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url norman , , title page, index , title page, index , norman , p. 101, p. 11, p. 138, p. 153, p. 154, p. 154, p. 156, p. 169, p. 178, p. 179, p. 179, p. 185, p. 193, p. 194, p. 198, p. 205, p. 205, p. 211, p. 213, p. 222, p. 223, p. 224, p. 226, p. 230, p. 240, p. 247, p. 257, p. 264, p. 272, p. 316, p. 327, p. 384, p. 424, p. 46, p. 49, p. 491, p. 50, p. 52, p. 52, p. 559, p. 624, p. 7, p. 720, p. 83, p. 87, p. iii, p. iv.
- The Cuba review. New York: Munson Steamship Line, 1907-1931. url p. 26, p. 27.
- The Great Basin naturalist. 37 1977 Provo, Utah: M.L. Bean Life Science Museum, Brigham Young University, 1939-1999. url p. 248, p. 264, p. 281, p. 305, p. 306, p. 332, p. 38, p. 440, p. 478, p. 499, p. 516, p. 520, p. 54, p. 577, p. 58, p. 601, p. 602, p. 62, p. 650, p. 652, p. 730.
- The Nidologist. New York City: Henry Reed Taylor, [1895-1897] url p. 119.
- The Ohio journal of science. Columbus, Ohio, The Ohio State University and the Ohio Academy of Science url p. 176, p. 375, p. 41, p. 421.
- The Osprey. Galesburg, Ill.: The Osprey Co., 1897-1902. url p. 21.
- The Pleistocene avifauna of the Talara tar seeps, northwestern Peru. 1973. url , .
- The Pleistocene of North America and its vertebrated animals form the states east of the Mississippi River and form the Canadian provinces east of longitude 95. WashingtonCarnegie Institution of Washington1923 url p. 382, p. 481.
- The University of Colorado studies. Boulder, University of Colorado. url p. 156, p. 235.
- The Warbler. Floral Park: Mayflower Pub. Co., [1903-1913] url p. 79.
- The Zoological quarterly / Harrisburg, Pa.: Wm. Stanley Ray, state printer of Pennsylvania, 1903. url , .
- The avifauna of Louisiana, with an annotated list of the birds of the State [by] Geo. E. Beyer. New Orleans, La., 1900. url p. 24.
- The bird watcher in the Shetlands, with some notes on seals--and digressions; by Edmund Selous. With 10 illustrations by J. Smit. London, E. P. Dutton & co., 1905. url p. 273.
- The birds of British Guiana: based on the collection of Frederick Vavasour McConnell. .. / London: Bernard Quaritch. .., 1916-1921. url p. 209, p. 211, p. 212.
- The birds of Chile, by Charles E. Hellmayr. 19 1932 Chicago: Field Museum of Natural History, 1932. url p. 291, p. 461.
- The birds of Colorado / Fort Collins, Colo.: State Agricultural College, Agricultural Experiment Station, 1897. url , .
- The birds of El Salvador, by Donald R. Dickey and A. J. Van Rossem. 23 1938 Chicago: Field Museum of Natural History, 1938. url p. 96.
- The birds of Essex County, Massachusetts. By Charles Wendell Townsend, M.D. Cambridge, Mass.: The Club, 1905. url p. 204, p. 336.
- The birds of Illinois and Wisconsin, Chicago, 1909. url .
- The birds of Indiana. A descriptive catalogue of the birds that have been observed within the state, with an account of their habits. Indianapolis, Indiana Dept. of Geology and Natural Resources, 1898 url p. 1176, p. 766.
- The birds of Indiana: a descriptive catalog of the birds that have been observed within the state, with an account of their habits / by Amos W. Butler. Indianapolis: W. B. Burford, Contractor for State Printing, 1898 url p. 1182, p. 766.
- The birds of Indiana; a descriptive catalog of the birds that have been observed within the state, with an account of their habits. Indianapolis, W. B. Burford, Contractor for State Printing, 1898 url , .
- The birds of Iowa / by Rudolph M. Anderson. Davenport, Iowa: Davenport Academy of Sciences, 1907. url p. 409.
- The birds of Maine; with key to and description of the various species known to occur or to have occured in the state, an account of their distribution and migration, showing their relative abundance in the various count by Ora Willis Knight. .. Bangor, Me.[printed by C. H. Glass & co.]1908. url p. 213.
- The birds of Massachusetts, Cambridge, Mass., 1901. url , , .
- The birds of Massachusetts, by Reginald Heber Howe and Glover Morrill Allen. Cambridge, Mass., 1901. url p. 147, p. 61, p. 61.
- The birds of North America: one hundred and nineteen artistic colored plates representing the different species and varieties drawn and colored from nature: including a copious text giving a popular account of their habits and 1903 New York: Published under the auspices of the Natural Science Association of America, 1903. url p. 168.
- The birds of Ohio; a complete scientific and popular description of the 320 species of birds found in the state, Columbus, The Wheaton Publishing Co., 1903, [c1902] url , , , , .
- The birds of Ohio; a revised catalogue, [Columbus?]Academy of Science, 1903. url , .
- The birds of Rhode Island n. p.c1899 url , .
- The birds of Rhode Island. [n. p.]1899. url p. 103, p. 56.
- The birds of South Africa, London, R. H. Porter, 1900-1906. url .
- The birds of South Africa, by Arthur C. Stark. .. London, R. H. Porter, 1900-1906. url p. 6, p. 6, p. ix.
- The birds of Springfield and vicinity / Springfield, Mass.: Henry R. Johnson, l901. url .
- The birds of Wyoming / By Wilbur C. Knight. Laramie, Wyo.: Wyoming Experiment Station, 1902. url p. 112, p. 366.
- The birds of Wyoming. [Laramie, Wyoming Experiment Station]1902. url , .
- The birds of eastern North America known to occur east of the nineteenth meridian. .. By Charles B. Cory. Boston, Bay State Pub. Co., 1900, c1899. url p. 159, p. 354.
- The birds of eastern North America: known to occur east of the ninetieth meridian / by Charles B. Cory. Chicago: Field Columbian Museum, 1899. url p. 354.
- The birds of the Cambridge region of Massachusetts. Cambridge, Mass., The Club, 1906. url , .
- The birds of the Chicago area / [Chicago, Jennings and Graham], 1907. url , .
- The birds of the Chicago area, by Frank Morley Woodruff. .. [Chicago, Printed by Jennings and Graham]1907. url p. 208, p. 90.
- The birds of the Isle of Pines / by W. E. Clyde Todd. Pittsburgh, 1916 url p. 191.
- The birds of the Lake St. Martin region, Manitoba / [Toronto: Royal Ontario Museum of Zoology], 1937. url p. 15.
- The birds of the Leeward islands, Caribbean sea, by Charles B. Cory. .. 1 1909 Chicago, 1909. url p. 241.
- The birds of the Red Deer River, Alberta. n.p., n.d. url p. 14.
- The birds of the Santa Marta region of Colombia: a study in altitudinal distribution. Pittsburgh, Carnegie Institute, 1922 url , .
- The book of woodcraft and Indian lore, with over 500 drawings by the author, Ernest Thompson Seton. .. Garden City, N.Y., Doubleday, Page & Company, 1922. url p. 252.
- The book of woodcraft, Garden City, N.Y., Doubleday, Page & company, 1912. url p. 336.
- The book of woodcraft. .. New York, The Sun dial press, inc. url p. 252.
- The condor. Santa Clara, Calif.: Cooper Ornithological Club, [1900- url p. 108, p. 138, p. 147, p. 154, p. 161, p. 161, p. 187, p. 20, p. 243, p. 40, p. 86.
- The descent of man, and selection in relation to sex, New York, D. Appleton and Company, 1896. url .
- The distribution of bird-life in Colombia; a contribution to a biological survey of South America, New York, Pub. by order of the trustees, 1917. url , , , .
- The effect of altered streamflow on migratory birds of the Yellowstone River Basin, Montana / by Tom Hinz. Helena: Water Resources Division, Montana Dept. of Natural Resources & Conservation, 1977. url p. 101.
- The fundus oculi of birds, especially as viewed by the ophthalmoscope; a study in the comparative anatomy and physiology, by Casey Albert Wood. Illustrated by 145 drawings in the text; also by sixty-one colored paintings prepared for this work by Arthur W. Head. .. Chicago, The Lakeside Press, 1917. url p. 62.
- The hawks of the Canadian prairie provinces in their relation to agriculture, by P. A. Taverner. Ottawa: Government Printing Bureau, 1918. url p. 2.
- The history of Upshur county, West Virginia, from its earliest exploration and settlement to the present time. .. Buckhannon?W. Va., pref.1907 url p. 367.
- The history of the collections contained in the natural history departments of the British Museum. by R. Bowdler Sharpe. London, 1906. url p. 378.
- The land-birds and game-birds of New England with descriptions of the birds, their nests and eggs, their habits and notes. Boston, Houghton, Mifflin, 1903. url .
- The naturalist of the Saint Croix. Memoir of George A. Boardman. A selection from his correspondence and published writings, notices of friends and contemporaries, with his list of the birds of Maine and New Brunswick. By Samuel Lane Boardman... Bangor, Priv. print., 1903. url p. 308, p. 308, p. 308.
- The nature and development of animal intelligence, London, T. F. Unwin, 1898. url p. 69.
- The non-passerine Pleistocene avifauna of the Talara Tar Seeps, northwestern Peru / Toronto: Royal Ontario Museum, 1979. url p. 73.
- The oo?logist's record. London, Harrison and Sons, - url p. 8.
- The ornithology of Chester County, Pennsylvania, by Franklin Lorenzo Burns, in co-operation with local ornithologists. .. Boston, R. G. Badger[c1919] url p. 50.
- The principles of biology / by J.I. Hamaker. Philadelphia: P. Blakiston's Sons & Co., 1913. url p. 382.
- The principles of biology, by J. I. Hamaker; with 267 illustations. Philadelphia, P. Blakiston, 1913. url p. 382.
- The raptorial birds of Iowa, by Bert Heald Bailey. .. Des Moines, Iowa Geological Survey, 1918. url p. 46, p. 49, p. 50.
- The structure and classification of birds, London, Longmans, Green, and co., 1898. url , .
- The vertebrate skeleton from the developmental standpoint, by J. S. Kingsley. .. with 324 illustrations. Philadelphia, P. Blakiston's Son & Co.[c1925] url p. 56.
- The voyage of the Beagle / by Charles Darwin; with introduction and notes. New York: P.F. Collier & son, c1909. url p. 199.
- The world's birds a simple and popular classification of the birds of the world, by Frank Finn. With over 50 illustrations from photographs (mostly taken from living specimens) and outline figures in the text. London, Hutchinson & co., 1908. url p. 2, p. 2.
- The writings of John Burroughs. Boston, Houghton, Mifflin, & co.[1895- ] url .
- The zoological quarterly bulletin / Harrisburg, Pa.: Wm. Stanley Ray, state printer of Pennsylvania, 1903-1905. url , .
- Three voyages of a naturalist, being an account of many little-known islands in three oceans visited by the "Valhalla, " R. Y. S.; London, Witherby & co., 1908. url p. 246, p. 30.
- Three voyages of a naturalist: being an account of many little-known islands in three oceans visited by the "Valhalla" R.Y.S. / by M. J. Nicoll; with an introduction by the Earl of Crawford. London: Witherby & Co., 1908. url p. 30.
- Transactions of the Kansas Academy of Science. Topeka, Kan.: W.Y. Morgan, 1903- url p. 168, p. 237.
- Transactions of the Kentucky Academy of Science. [Lexington, Ky.]Kentucky Academy of Science, 1923-1997. url p. 128, p. 131, p. 167, p. 23, p. 53.
- Transactions of the San Diego Society of Natural History. 14 1967 [San Diego]: The Society, 1905-1989. url p. 213, p. 241, p. 288, p. 407, p. 46, p. 54.
- Two bird-lovers in Mexico by C. William Beebe. .. illustrated with photographs from life taken by the author. London, A. Constable & company, ltd.;1905. url p. 386.
- Two bird-lovers in Mexico, by C. William Beebe. Illustrated with photographs from life taken by the author. Boston, Houghton, Mifflin, 1905. url p. 386.
- University of California publications in zoology. Berkeley: University Press, 1906- url p. 332.
- University of Kansas publications, Museum of Natural History. 10 1956 Lawrence, University of Kansas. url p. 115, p. 176, p. 317, p. 320, p. 551, p. 581, p. 613, p. 634, p. 655, p. 672, p. 673, p. 676, p. 683, p. 699.
- Vertebrates of Ontario, by C. W. Nash. Department of Education, Toronto. Printed by order of the Legislative Assembly of Ontario Toronto, L. K. Cameron, 1908 url p. 38.
- Vertebrates of Ontario. TorontoPrint. by order of the Legislative Assembly of Ontario by L.K. Cameron1908 url p. 38.
- Wake-Robin, by John Burroughs. Boston, Houghton, Mifflin url p. 228.
- Wake-robin / by John Burroughs. Boston: Houghton, Mifflin, c1899. url p. 228.
- Washington State Coastal Zone Management Program amendment no. 3: approval of the Grays Harbor estuary management plan: program draft environmental impact statement. [Olympia, Wash.?]: Grays Harbor Regional Planning Commission; 1983. url p. 4.
- Wild animals of Glacier National Park. The mammals, Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1918. url .
- Wild life of the world: a descriptive survey of the geographical distribution of animals / 2 London; F. Warne and co., 1916. url figure , p. 349.
- Year book - Carnegie Institution of Washington. Washington, Carnegie Institution of Washington url p. 173, p. 187, p. 195, p. 199, p. 210.
- Yosemite nature notes. [Yosemite National Park, Calif.: Yosemite Natural History Association url p. 89.
- Zoological Society bulletin. [New York]: New York Zoological Society. url , p. 459.
- BirdLife International 2009. Cathartes aura. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloadedon 31January2012.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 9, 2012.
- IUCN 2012. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. . Downloaded on January 28, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal March 05, 2008:
- Avian Knowledge Network: eBird
- Avian Knowledge Network: Great Backyard Bird Count
- Avian Knowledge Network: Hawk Migration Association of North America - HawkCount
- Avian Knowledge Network: Project FeederWatch
- Bird Studies Canada: BC Coastal Waterbird Survey
- Bird Studies Canada: Marsh Monitoring Program - Birds
- Bird Studies Canada: Ontario Breeding Bird Atlas 1981-1985
- Bird Studies Canada: Ontario Breeding Bird Atlas 2001-2005
- Borror Laboratory of Bioacoustics
- Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility: North West Territories and Nunavut Bird Checklist, Canada
- Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility: Ontario Nest Records
- Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility: Provincial Museum of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada. Birds (Aves)
- Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility: Royal British Columbia Museum
- Canadian Museum of Nature: Canadian Museum of Nature Bird Collection
- GBIF-Sweden: Birds (GBIF-SE:Artdatabanken)
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: Bay of Fundy Species List (OBIS Canada)
- Marine Science Institute, UCSB: Paleobiology Database
- Museum of Comparative Zoology, Harvard University: MCZ Ornithology Collection
- Museum of Vertebrate Zoology: Terrestrial vertebrate specimens
- New Brunswick Museum: NBM birds
- Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History: Santa Barbara Musem of Natural History
- Senckenberg: Collection Aves (bird skins)
- Senckenberg: Collection Aves (spirit preserved)
- UNIBIO, IBUNAM: CNAV/Coleccion Nacional de Aves
- University of Michigan Museum of Zoology (UMMZ): Bird specimens
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 8928
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-175265
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 2481930
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 175265
- IUCN ID: 198281
- Natural Heritage Network Species Identifier: ABNKA02010
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 907