Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Dutch:
Common Names in English:
Eurasian Siskin, European Siskin, Siskin, Spruce Siskin
Common Names in French:
Tarin des aulnes
Common Names in German:
Common Names in Hebrew:
Common Names in Italian:
Common Names in Japanese:
Common Names in Russian:
Common Names in Spanish:
Common Names in Swedish:
Adult Female: Face : Eyebrow Line : yellowish Bill: Shape : sharply pointed Body: Belly: white Underparts: yellow wash with dark streaks Upperparts: greenish gray with black streaks Tail: blackish with yellow base on outer feathers Crissum: white.Adult Male: Head : Crown: black Face: Chin: black Color: yellow Bill: Shape: sharply pointed Neck: Throat : yellow Body: Belly: white Breast: yellow Flanks: yellow with black streaks Sides: yellow with black streaks Upperparts: greenish yellow with black streaks Tail: yellow stripes at base of outer feathers Crissum: white.
About 4.75 to 5 inches long, with a wingspan of 8.5 to 9 inches. Adults weigh about 0.5 ounces .
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 5,308 meters (0 to 17,415 feet).
List of Habitats
- 1 Forest
- 1.1 Forest - Boreal
- 1.4 Forest - Temperate
- 3 Shrubland
- 3.4 Shrubland - Temperate
- 14 Artificial/Terrestrial
- 14.3 Artificial/Terrestrial - Plantations
- 14.4 Artificial/Terrestrial - Rural Gardens [more info]
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Bateson, 1885
- Cuvier, 1812
- Jawed Vertebrates
- Goodrich, 1930
- Linnaeus, 1758
- Gauthier, 1986
- (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Pycraft, 1900
- Sibley et al., 1988
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- Suborder: Passeres () - (C. Linnaeus, 1758) C. Linnaeus, 1766
- Order: Passeriformes () - C. Linnaeus, 1758
- Superorder: Passerimorphae () - Sibley et al., 1988
- Cohort: Neognathae () - Pycraft, 1900
- Infraclass: Aves () - (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Subclass: Avialae () - Gauthier, 1986
- Class: Aves () - Linnaeus, 1758
- Superclass: Tetrapoda () - Goodrich, 1930
- Infraphylum: Gnathostomata () - auct. - Jawed Vertebrates
- Subphylum: Vertebrata () - Cuvier, 1812 - Vertebrates
- Phylum: Chordata () - Bateson, 1885 - Chordates
- Infrakingdom: Chordonia () - (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Deuterostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Carduelis spinus (Linnaeus, 1758)
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 11-Oct-2007
Members of the genus Carduelis
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 50 species and subspecies in this genus:
C. ambigua (Black-Headed Greenfinch) · C. ambigua ambigua (Black-Headed Greenfinch) · C. atrata (Black Siskin) · C. atriceps (Black-Capped Siskin) · C. barbata (Black-Chinned Siskin) · C. cannabina (Eurasian Linnet) · C. cannabina cannabina (Linnet) · C. carduelis (European Goldfinch) · C. carduelis carduelis (Eurasian Goldfinch) · C. chloris (Common Greenfinch) · C. citrinella (Alpine Citril Finch) · C. corsicana (Corsican Citril Finch) · C. crassirostris (Thick-Billed Siskin) · C. crassirostris crassirostris (Thick-Billed Siskin) · C. cucullata (Red Siskin) · C. dominicensis (Antillean Siskin) · C. flammea (Holboell's Redpoll) · C. flammea cabaret (Common Redpoll) · C. flavirostris (Twite) · C. flavirostris flavirostris (Twite) · C. hornemanni (Hornemann's Redpoll) · C. hornemanni hornemanni (Hoary Redpoll) · C. johannis (Warsangli Linnet) · C. lawrencei (Lawrence's Goldfinch) · C. magellanica (Hooded Siskin) · C. magellanica magellanica (Hooded Siskin) · C. monguilloti (Vietnamese Greenfinch) · C. notata (Black-Headed Siskin) · C. notata notata (Black-Headed Siskin) · C. olivacea (Olivaceous Siskin) · C. pinus (Northern Canary Bird) · C. pinus pinus (Northern Canary Bird) · C. psaltria (Green-Backed Goldfinch) · C. psaltria psaltria (Green-Backed Goldfinch) · C. siemiradzkii (Saffron Siskin) · C. sinica (Gray-Capped Greenfinch) · C. sinica sinica (Gray-Capped Greenfinch) · C. spinescens (Andean Siskin) · C. spinescens spinescens (Andean Siskin) · C. spinoides (Yellow-Breasted Greenfinch) · C. spinoides spinoides (Yellow-Breasted Greenfinch) · C. spinus (European Siskin) · C. tristis (Black-Winged Yellow Bird) · C. tristis pallidus (American Goldfinch) · C. tristis tristis (American Goldfinch) · C. uropygialis (Yellow-Rumped Siskin) · C. xanthogastra (Yellow-Bellied Siskin) · C. xanthogastra xanthogastra (Yellow-Bellied Siskin) · C. yarrellii (Yellow-Faced Siskin) · C. yemenensis (Yemeni Linnet)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A List of British birds / London: British Ornithologists' Union, 1915. url .
- A List of British birds / London: John Van Voorst, 1883. url .
- A book of birds. 1908 London, Sidney Appleton, 1908. url p. 151.
- A catalogue of the collection of birds formed by the late Hugh Edwin Strickland. Cambridge, Univ. Press, 1882. url p. 213.
- A dictionary of birds, London, A. and C. Black, 1893-1896. url p. 116.
- A dictionary of birds, by Alfred Newton, assisted by Hans Gadow, with contributions from Richard Lydekker. .. Charles S. Roy. .. and Robert W. Shufeldt. .. London, A. and C. Black, 1893-1896. url p. 116, p. 846, p. 846.
- A guide to the birds of Nepal Christopher Helm (Publishers) Ltd. url p. 362.
- A hand-book to the birds of Great Britain / by R. Bowdler Sharpe. London: E. Lloyd, 1896-1897. url p. 41.
- A hand-list of British birds, with an account of the distribution of each species in the British Isles and abroad. By Ernst Hartert, F. C. R. Jourdain, N. F. Ticehurst and H. F. Withersby. London, Witherby, 1912. url p. 10.
- A history of British birds / by William Yarrell, V.P.L.S., F.Z.S. London: John van Voorst, 1871-1885. url p. 126, p. 126.
- A history of British birds by William Yarrell; illustrated by 535 wood-engravings. London: J. Van Voorst, 1845. url p. 544, p. 544.
- A history of British birds, indigenous and migratory: including their organization, habits, and relation; remarks on classification and nomenclature; an account of the principal organs of birds, and observations relative to practical ornithology. .. By William Macgillivray. London, Printed for Scott, Webster and Geary, 1837-52. url p. 656, p. 702, p. 739.
- A history of British birds, with coloured illustrations of their eggs. By Henry Seebohm. .. London, Pub. for the author by R.H. Porter [etc.]1883-85. url p. 92.
- A history of British birds. By the Rev. F. O. Morris. London, Groombridge and sons, [1851-57?] url .
- A history of British birds. London, J. Van Voorst, 1871-85. url p. 126, p. 126.
- A history of the birds of Europe: including all the species inhabiting the western palaearctic region / London: Published by the Author, 1871-1881. url p. 541.
- A list of British birds / compiled by a committee of the British Ornithologists' Union. London: J. van Voorst, 1883. url p. 48.
- A list of British birds belonging to the Humber district: having a special reference to their migrations / by John Cordeaux. London [England]: R. H. Porter, 1899. url p. 10.
- A list of British birds, comp. by a committee of the British ornithologists' union. London: British ornithologists' union, 1915. url p. 13.
- A list of British birds. The genera arranged according to Sundevall's method. The nomenclature revised by Henry Thornton Wharton. London, J. Van Voorst, 1877. url p. 8.
- A list of European birds, including all those found in the western palaearctic area, with a supplement containing species said to have occurred, but which, for various reasons, are inadmissible. London, R.H. Porter, 1898. url p. 22.
- A list of the genera of birds: with their synonyma and an indication of the typical species of each genus / by George Robert Gray. London: Printed and sold by R. and J.E. Taylor, 1841. url p. 59.
- A manual of British ornithology: being a short description of the birds of Great Britain and Ireland. .. / by William Macgillivray. .. London: Scott, Webster, and Geary, 1840-1842. url p. 198.
- A natural history of the nests and eggs of British birds / by the Rev. F.O. Morris. London: John C. Nimmo, 1896. url p. 30.
- A popular history of British birds' eggs / by Richard Laishley. London: L. Reeve, 1858. url p. 92.
- A practical handbook of British birds, edited by H.F. Witherby. .. London, Witherby, 1920-24. url , , , p. 50, p. 54, p. 54.
- A tour in Sutherlandshire, with extracts from the fieldbooks of a sportsman and naturalist. By Charles St. John... With woodcuts. London: J. Murray, 1849. url p. 342.
- A tour in Sutherlandshire: with extracts from the field-books of a sportsman and naturalist / with an Appendix on the fauna of Sutherland by J.A. Harvie-Brown and T.E. Buckley. Edinburgh, Douglas, 1884. url p. 342.
- An illustrated manual of British birds, with 384 illustrations and 3 colored maps. London, Gurney, 1899. url p. 175.
- An introduction to the natural history of birds; being the article "Ornithology", from the seventh edition of the Encyclopedia Britannica. .. Edinburgh: A. and C. Black, 1839. url p. 646.
- Anales de la Sociedad Española de Historia Natural. Madrid: La Sociedad, url p. 231, p. 310.
- Annual reports and proceedings of the Belfast Naturalists' Field Club. url p. 286, p. 687.
- Birds of Britain, by J. Lewis Bonhote. .. with 100 illustrations in colour selected by H.E. Dresser from his Birds of Europe.' London: A. and C. Black, 1907. url p. 119.
- Birds of Massachusetts and other New England states / [Norwood, Ma.: Printed by Berwick and Smith Company], 1925-1929 url , p. 445.
- Birds of the Humber District / by John Cordeaux. London: Van Voorst, 1872. url p. 54.
- Boletim da Sociedade Portuguesa de Cie?ncias Naturais. Lisboa, Sociedade Portuguesa de Cie?ncias Naturais, 1908- url p. 151.
- Britain's birds and their nests / described by A. Landsborough Thomson; with introduction by J. Arthur Thomson, illustrated by George Rankin. London: W. & R. Chambers, 1910. url p. 253.
- British birds in their haunts / edited, revised and annotated, by J.A. Owen; illustrated with 64 coloured plates (256 figures) by William Foster; with a glossary of common and provincial names and of technical terms. London: G. Routledge url p. 90.
- British birds in their haunts, by the late Rev. C.A. Johns. .. ed., rev., and annotated, by J.A. Owen. .. Illustrated with 64 coloured plates (256 figures) by William Foster. .. With a glossary of common and provincial names and te London, E.P. Dutton & Co., 1909. url p. 90.
- British birds in their haunts. .. Edited, revised, and annotated by J.A. Owen. .. Illustrated with 64 coloured plates by William Foster. With a glossary of common and provincial names and of technical terms. London, Dutton url p. 90.
- British birds' eggs and nests, popularly described. .. S.l.s.n.pref. 1861 url p. 54.
- British birds' eggs and nests: popularly described / By J. C. Atkinson; with coloured illustrations by W. S. Coleman. London; G. Routledge and Sons, 1870. url p. 80.
- British birds. London, Witherby & Co. url p. 171, p. 188, p. 228, p. 228, p. 276, p. 297, p. 313, p. 52, p. 61.
- British birds: descriptions of all the commoner species, their nests, and eggs / by F.B. Kirkman; illustrations by A.W. Seaby. London: Dodge Pub. Co.,  url p. 14.
- British birds: key list. London, R. H. Porter, 1892. url p. 14.
- British song birds; being popular descriptions and anecdotes of the choristers of the groves. London: John W. Parker, 1836. url , p. 358.
- Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History). London: The Museum, 1950-1977. url p. 202, p. 204, p. 226.
- Bulletin of the British Ornithologists' Club. London: The Club, 1893- url p. 166, p. 173, p. 176.
- Bulletin of the Museum of Comparative Zoology at Harvard College. 101 1948 Cambridge, Mass.: The Museum, 1863- url p. 254, p. 585.
- Carotenoids, their comparative biochemistry. New York, Chemical Pub. Co., 1954. url p. 329.
- Catalogue of British Birds in the Collection of the British Museum / by G.R. Gray. London, 1863. url p. 96.
- Catalogue of British birds in the collection of the British Museum. London, Printed by order of the trustees, 1863. url .
- Catalogue of the Birds in the British Museum. London, 1874-98. url p. 213.
- Catalogue of the collection of birds' eggs in the British museum (Natural history). London: Printed by order of the Trustees, 1901-12. url p. 180.
- Check-list and bibliography on the occurrence of insects in birds' nests. Ames, Iowa State College Press url p. 436.
- Check-list of North American birds: the species of birds of North America from the Arctic through Panama, including the West Indies and Hawaiian Islands / prepared by the Committee on Classification and Nomenclature of the American Orni Lawrence, Kan.: American Ornithologists' Union, 1983. url p. 750, p. 787.
- Check-list of birds of the world. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1931-1987. url p. 238.
- Checklists for the CORINE Biotopes Programme and its application in the PHARE countries of Central and East Europe: including comparisons with relevant conventions and agreements on the conservation of European species and habitats EC url p. 10.
- Coloured figures of the birds of the British Islands / issued by Lord Lilford. London: R. H. Porter, 1885-1897. url p. 55.
- Directory of Wetlands of International Importance. IUCN url p. 403, p. 762.
- Egyptian birds for the most part seen in the Nile valley, London, A. and C. Black, 1909. url .
- Egyptian birds: for the most part seen in the Nile Valley / by Charles Whymper. London: A. and C. Black, 1909. url p. 210.
- Familiar wild birds / by W. Swaysland; with coloured plates. London; New York: Cassell, 1883. url p. 165.
- Fleas, flukes & cuckoos; a study of bird parasites, by Miriam Rothschild and Theresa Clay. New York, Macmillan, 1957. url p. 294, p. 303.
- Hampstead Hill: its structure, materials and sculpturing / by J. Logan Lobley; with The flora of Hampstead, by Henry T. Wharton; The insect fauna of Hampstead, by F. A. Walker; and The birds of Hampstead, by J. Edmund Haring. London: Roper and Drowley, 1889. url p. 91.
- Hampstead Hill; its structure, materials, and sculpturing. With The flora of Hampstead by Henry T. Wharton; The insect fauna of Hampstead, by F.A. Walker; and The birds of Hampstead, by J. Edmund Harting. LondonRoper and Drowley1889 url p. 91.
- Hand-book to the birds of Great Britain. London, Allen, 1894-97. url p. 41.
- Handbook to the natural history of Cambridgeshire, ed. by J.E. Marr. .. and A.E. Shipley. .. Cambridge, University press, 1904. url p. 90.
- History and antiquities of Charnwood forest: with an appendix on the geology, botany & ornithology of the district. .. London: Hamilton, 1842. url p. 67.
- History of the Berwickshire Naturalists' Club, instituted September 22, 1831 [Vol. 1 of proceedings, corr. and reprinted] Alnwick, H.H. Blair, 1885. url p. 134.
- Ibis. [London]Published for the British Ornithologists' Union by Academic Press. url p. 126, p. 200, p. 23, p. 298, p. 333, p. 381, p. 54.
- Iconographic encyclopaedia of science, literature, and art. systematically arranged by J.G. Heck. Translated from the German, with additions, and edited by Spencer F. Baird. .. illustrated by five hundred steel plates, containing upwards to twelve thousand en New York, R. Garrigue, 1851. url p. 357.
- Island life: or, the phenomena and causes of insular faunas and floras, including a revision and attempted solution of the problem of geological climates / London: Macmillan, 1911. url p. 36.
- Life and letters of Alexander Goodman More, F.R.S.E., F.L.S., M.R.I.A., with selections from his zoological and botanical writings; ed. by C.B. Moffat, B.A., with a preface by Frances M. More. Dublin, Hodges, Figgis & co. (ltd.)1898. url p. 589.
- List of the specimens of the British animals in the collection of the British museum. London: Printed by order of the Trustees, 1845-55. url p. 59.
- London birds and London insects and other sketches. London, H. Porter, 1892. url p. ii.
- Magazine of zoology and botany. Edinburgh; Dublin. url p. 396.
- Manual of British birds: including the essential characteristics of the orders, families, genera, and species. London: Printed for Adam Scott, 1846. url p. 198.
- My garden, its plan and culture together with a general description of its geology, botany, and natural history, London, Bell and Daldy, 1872. url .
- Narrative of a spring tour in Portugal / by Alfred Charles Smith. London: Longmans, Green, 1870. url p. 200.
- Natural history of birds. Their architecture, habits, and faculties. With numberous engravings. New York, Harper & Brothers, 1840. url p. 146, p. 187.
- Notes on the birds of Northamptonshire and neighbourhood / Lord Lilford; illustrated by A. Thorburn and G.E. Lodge. London: Porter, 1895. url p. 193.
- Notes on the birds of Rainham, including the district between Chatham and Sittingbourne. London, Curney & Jackson, 1894. url p. 39.
- Observations in natural history: with an introduction on habits of observing, as connected with the study of that science; also a calendar of periodic phenomena in natural history; with remarks on the importance of such registers / by the Rev. Leonard Jenyns. London: John van Voorst, 1846. url p. 107.
- Ornithological miscellany / London: Trübner and Co., Bernard Quaritch, R.H. Porter, 1876-1878. url p. 326, p. 326.
- Ornithological rambles in Sussex: with a systematic catalogue of the birds of that county, and remarks on their local distribution / by A.E. Knox. London, J. Van Voorst, 1855. url p. 210.
- Our Irish song birds / by Charles William Benson. Dublin: Hodges, Figgis; 1901. url p. 149, p. 199.
- Our country's birds and how to know them. A guide to all the birds of Great Britain. London, Simpkin, Marshall, Hamilton, Kent[1892?] url , .
- Our native songsters. By Anne Pratt. .. London: Printed for the Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge, 1853. url p. 275.
- Outlines of general zoology. New York [N.Y.]: Rudolph Garrigue, 1851. url , , p. 357, p. 357.
- Postilla. 1968 New Haven, Conn.: Peabody Museum of Natural History, [1950?]-c2004. url p. 40.
- Proceedings of the International Ornithological Congress. [Canberra, etc.]: Australian Academy of Science [etc.] url p. 373, p. 560, p. 575.
- Proceedings of the Linnean Society of London. London, Published for the Linnean Society of London by Academic Press [etc.], 1848-1968. url p. 8.
- Proceedings of the Natural History Society of Glasgow. Glasgow, Natural History Society of Glasgow. url , , p. 140, p. 240, p. 289, p. 57.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 295.
- Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London. London: Academic Press, [etc.], 1833-1965. url p. 194, p. 194, p. 479, p. 710.
- Proceedings. Dorchester [etc.] url p. 269.
- Reports and transactions. Cardiff [etc. url p. 50, p. 72.
- Reptiles and birds, a popular account of their various orders: with a description of the habits and economy of the most interesting / by Louis Figuier; edited and adapted by Parker Gillmore. New York: D. Appleton, 1870. url p. 517.
- Reptiles and birds. A popular account of the various orders; with a description of the habits and economy of the most interesting. Springfield, Mass., W.J. Holland[pref. 1869] url , p. 517.
- Reptiles and birds: a popular account of their various orders: with a description of the habits and economy of the most interesting / New York: D. Appleton, 1870. url .
- Special scientific report--wildlife / U.S. Department of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service. Washington, D.C.: The Service, 1949- url p. 61.
- Text-book of the embryology of man and mammals, by Dr. Oscar Hertwig. Tr. from the 3d German ed. by Edward L. Mark. London, G. Allen & Col. Ltd., 1912. url p. 94.
- The American journal of science. 3 1847 New Haven, Kline Geology Laboratory, Yale University. url p. 206.
- The Annals and magazine of natural history; zoology, botany, and geology being a continuation of the Annals combined with Loudon and Charlesworth's Magazine of Natural History. London, Taylor and Francis, Ltd. url p. 391, p. 467, p. 496, p. 496.
- The Annals of Scottish natural history. Edinburgh: David Douglas, 1892-1911. url p. 207, p. 71.
- The British bird book: an account of all the birds, nests and eggs found in the British Isles / ed. by F.B. Kirkman. Illustrated by two hundred drawings and numerous photographs. London: T.C. & E.C. Jack, 1910-13. url p. 71.
- The British cyclopædia of natural history: combining a scientific classification of animals, plants, and minerals. .. By authors eminent in their particular department. Arranged and ed. by Charles F. Partington. London: Orr & Smith, 1835-37. url p. 339, p. 835.
- The British nature book; a complete handbook and guide to British nature study, embracing the mammals, birds, reptiles, fish, insects, plants, etc., in the United Kingdom, by S.N. Sedgwick. .. Edinburgh, T.C. & E.C. Jack, Ltd., 1922. url p. 60.
- The Domestic habits of birds / [prepared by] the Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge. London: Charles Knight, 1833. url p. 261, p. 78.
- The Entomological magazine. London: Frederick Westley and A.H. Davis, 1833-1838 url , , p. 266, p. 269, p. 269, p. 290, p. 290, p. 291, p. 514, p. 514.
- The Entomologist's record and journal of variation. s.l., s.n. url p. 331.
- The Field naturalist: a review of animals, plants, minerals, the structure of the earth, and appearances of the sky / edited by James Rennie. London: Orr and Smith, 1835. url p. 171, p. 48.
- The Journal of the Bombay Natural History Society. Bombay: The Society, url p. 228.
- The Marine Mammal Commission compendium of selected treaties, international agreements, and other relevant documents on marine resources, wildlife, and the environment / compiled by Richard L. Wallace. Washington, D.C.: The Commission; 1994 url p. 690.
- The Naturalist. 1897 [Doncaster: Yorkshire Naturalists' Union], 1874- url p. 18, p. 316.
- The Scottish naturalist. Arbroath [etc.]T. Buncle & Co. [etc.] url p. 110, p. 117, p. 118, p. 169, p. 173, p. 32.
- The Scottish naturalist. Perth [etc.]: Cowan & Co. [etc.], url p. 331, p. 9.
- The Victoria history of Berkshire. edited by P.H. Ditchfield and William Page. [LondonConstable]1906-1923 url p. 147.
- The Victoria history of the County of Hertford / edited by William Page. London: Published for the University of London, Institute of Historical Research by Dawsons of Pall Mall,  url .
- The Victoria history of the county of Warwick. London: Published for the University of London Institute of Historical Research by Dawsons of Pall Mall, 1965- url p. 195.
- The birds of Cheshire / by T. A. Coward and Charles Oldham. Manchester [England]: Sherratt and Hughes, 1900. url p. 78.
- The birds of Dorsetshire; a contribution to the natural history of the county, by J.C. Mansel-Pleydell. .. London, R.H. Porter; [etc., etc., 1888?] url p. 46, p. 46.
- The birds of Guernsey: and the neighboring islands Alderney, Sark, Jethou, Herm; being a small contribution to the ornithology of the Channel Islands / by Cecil Smith. London: R. H. Porter, 1879. url p. 77, p. 77.
- The birds of Norfolk, with remarks on their habits, migration, and local distribution: by Henry Stevenson. London: J. Van Voorst, 1866-1890. url p. 224.
- The birds of Norfolk: with remarks on their habits, migration, and local distribution / by Henry Stevenson. London: J. Van Voorst, 1866-1890. url p. 224.
- The birds of Somersetshire. London, John van Voorst, 1869. url p. 196, p. 196.
- The birds of Sussex, London, R.H. Porter, 1891. url .
- The birds of Sussex, by William Borrer. London, R.H. Porter, 1891. url p. 132.
- The birds of Yorkshire: being a historical account of the avi-fauna of the county / by T. H. Nelson; with the co-operation of W. Eagle Clarke and F. Boyes. London: A. Brown, 1907. url p. 172.
- The eggs of European birds / by Francis C.R. Jourdain. London: R.H. Porter, 1906. url p. 52.
- The faculties of birds. London: Charles Knight, . 22, Ludgate Street, 1835. url p. 321.
- The land birds in and around St. Andrews: including a condensed history of the British land birds, with extracts from the poets and observations and anecdotes on natural history / by George Bruce. Dundee [Scotland]: John Leng & Co., 1895. url p. 407.
- The lipids, their chemistry and biochemistry. New York, Interscience Publishers, 1951-57. url p. 507.
- The migration of birds, as observed at Irish lighthouses and lightships including the original reports from 1888-97, now published for the first time, and an analysis of these and of the previously pu together with an appendix giving the measurement sof about 1600 wings / London: R.H. Porter, [etc., etc., 1900] url p. 131, p. 230, p. 91.
- The museum of natural history, with introductory essay on the natural history of the primeval world: being a popular account of the structure, habits, and classification of the various departments of the animal kingdom, quadrupeds, birds, reptiles, fishes, shells, and insects, including the insects d by Sir John Richardson, William S. Dallas, T. Spencer Cobbold, and William Baird & Adam White. Edinburgh: William MacKenzie, [1869?] url p. 358, p. 434.
- The natural history and antiquities of Selborne, in the county of Southampton. By the late Rev. Gilbert White. Ed. by Thomas Bell. London, J. Van Voorst, 1877. url p. 364.
- The natural history of Ireland. London: Reeve, Benham and Reeve, 1849-56. url p. 264.
- The natural history of the USSR / Algirdas Knystautas; foreword by Vladimir Flint; [translation, John S. Scott]. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1987. url p. 120, p. 212.
- The natural history of the birds of Ireland, indigenous and migratory: containing descriptions of the habits, migrations, occurrence, and economy, of the 261 species comprised in the Fauna / by John J. Watters. Dublin: J. McGlashan, 1853. url p. 82.
- The naturalisation of animals & plants in New Zealand, Cambridge [Eng.]University Press, 1922. url .
- The naturalist's library. Conducted by Sir William Jardine. Edinburgh, W. H. Lizars; [etc., etc.]1833- url .
- The naturalist. London: Simpkin, Marshall, 1865- url p. 249.
- The ornithological guide. .. London: Whittaker,  url p. 195.
- The ornithology of the Straits of Gibraltar / by L. Howard L. Irby. London: R.H. Porter, 1895. url p. 100.
- The smaller British birds / With descriptions of their nests, eggs, habits by H. G. and H. B. Adams. London: Gibbins, 1894. url p. 187.
- The sweet songsters of Great Britain. With useful hints for the rearing and management of cage birds. London, Gall and Inglis[18-?] url p. 247.
- The vertebrate fauna of Cheshire and Liverpool Bay / London: Witherby, 1910. url p. 200.
- Transactions and proceedings of the New Zealand Institute. Wellington: New Zealand Institute. url p. 508.
- Transactions of the Edinburgh Field Naturalists' and Microscopical Society. [Edinburgh]: The Club, 1891- url p. 456.
- Transactions of the Edinburgh Naturalists' Field Club. Edinburgh: The Club, 1886. url p. 294.
- Transactions of the Entomological Society of London. London, The Society. url p. 21.
- Transactions of the Essex Field Club. Buckhurst Hill, Essex: The Club, 1880-1886. url p. 23.
- Transactions of the Hertfordshire Natural History Society and Field Club. London: Gurney & Jackson, 1879- url p. 76, p. 89.
- Transactions of the Natural History Society of Northumberland, Durham, and Newcastle upon Tyne. Newcastle: T. & J. Hodgson; 1831-1838. url p. 261.
- Transactions of the Tyneside Naturalists' Field Club. Newcastle-upon-Tyne: F. & W. Dodsworth, 1850-1864. url p. 341.
- Transactions of the Watford Natural History Society and Hertfordshire Field Club. London: Hardwicke and Bogue, 1875-1880. url p. 31.
- Travels of a naturalist in northern Europe, Norway, 1871, Archangel, 1872, Petchora, 1875, London, T. F. Unwin, 1905. url p. 209.
- Turner on birds: a short and succinct history of the principal birds noticed by Pliny and Aristotle first published by Doctor William Turner, 1544. Ed. with introduction, translation, notes, and appendix, by A. H. Evans. Cambridge: University press, 1903. url , , p. 51.
- Turner on birds; a short and succinct history of the principal birds notices by Pliny and Artistotle, Cambridge, University press, 1903. url , p. 51.
- Types of birds in the Tring Museum. n. p., 1922? url .
- Wonders of organic life. LondonReligious Tract Society url p. 161.
- Zoologist. London.1843-1916 url p. 10, p. 166, p. 241, p. 338, p. 489, p. 9781.
- BirdLife International 2009. Carduelis spinus. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloadedon 31January2012.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 9, 2012.
- IUCN 2012. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. . Downloaded on January 28, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 11, 2007:
- Biologiezentrum der Oberoesterreichischen Landesmuseen, Biologiezentrum Linz
- Museum of Vertebrate Zoology, Terrestrial vertebrate specimens
- The Danish Biodiversity Information Facility, Western Palearctic migrants in continental Africa
- UK National Biodiversity Network, Environment and Heritage Service - EHS Species Datasets
- UK National Biodiversity Network, Herts Bird Club - Hertfordshire Breeding Bird Atlas : 1988-1992
- University of Michigan Museum of Zoology
- , Bird specimens
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 7101
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-554147
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 2481685
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 554147
- IUCN ID: 198001
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 150169