Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Dutch:
Common Names in English:
Asiatic Jackal, Common Jackal, golden jackal, Jackal
Common Names in French:
Chacal Commun, Chacal Dor?, Le Chacal Commun
Common Names in Russian:
Шакал обыкновенный (азиатский)
Common Names in Spanish:
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 5,469 meters (0 to 17,943 feet).
Due to their tolerance of dry habitats
and their omnivorous
the Golden Jackal can live in a wide variety of habitats. These range
from the Sahel Desert to the evergreen
of Myanmar and Thailand.
They occupy semi-desert, short to medium grasslands and savannas
in Africa; and forested, mangrove
, agricultural, rural and semi-urban
habitats in India and Bangladesh (Clutton-Brock et al.
Poche et al. 1987; Y. Jhala, pers. obs.). Golden Jackals
and will venture into human habitation at night
on garbage. Jackals have been recorded at elevations
in the Bale Mountains of Ethiopia (Sillero-Zubiri 1996) and are
at 2,000 m in India (Prater
List of Habitats:
- 1 Forest
- 1.5 Forest - Subtropical/Tropical Dry
- 1.6 Forest - Subtropical/Tropical Moist Lowland
- 1.9 Forest - Subtropical/Tropical Moist Montane
- 2 Savanna
- 2.1 Savanna - Dry
- 2.2 Savanna - Moist
- 3 Shrubland
- 3.5 Shrubland - Subtropical/Tropical Dry
- 4 Grassland
- 4.5 Grassland - Subtropical/Tropical Dry
- 14 Artificial/Terrestrial
- 14.1 Artificial/Terrestrial - Arable Land
- 14.2 Artificial/Terrestrial - Pastureland
- 14.5 Artificial/Terrestrial - Urban Areas [more info]
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Bateson, 1885
- Cuvier, 1812
- Jawed Vertebrates
- Goodrich, 1930
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Rowe, 1988) M.C. McKenna & S.K. Bell, 1997
- (Wible et al., 1995) M.C. McKenna & S.K. Bell, 1997
- McKenna, 1975
- McKenna, 1975
- McKenna, 1975
- (McKenna, 1975) M.C. McKenna & S.K. Bell, 1997
- (Parker & Haswell, 1897) M.C. McKenna & S.K. Bell, 1997
- (Owen, 1837) M.C. McKenna & S.K. Bell, 1997
- (Mckenna, 1975) M.c. Mckenna & S.k. Bell, 1997
- (McKenna, 1975) McKenna, in Stucky & McKenna, in Benton, ed., 1993
- (Linnaeus, 1758) McKenna, 1975
- Bowdich, 1821
- Kretzoi, 1943
- Infraorder: Cynoidea () - Flower, 1869
- Suborder: Caniformia () - Kretzoi, 1943
- Order: Carnivora () - Bowdich, 1821
- Grandorder: Ferae () - (Linnaeus, 1758) McKenna, 1975
- Superorder: Preptotheria () - (McKenna, 1975) McKenna, in Stucky & McKenna, in Benton, ed., 1993
- Magnorder: Epitheria () - (Mckenna, 1975) M.c. Mckenna & S.k. Bell, 1997
- Cohort: Placentalia () - (Owen, 1837) M.C. McKenna & S.K. Bell, 1997
- Supercohort: Theria () - (Parker & Haswell, 1897) M.C. McKenna & S.K. Bell, 1997
- Infralegion: Tribosphenida () - (McKenna, 1975) M.C. McKenna & S.K. Bell, 1997
- Sublegion: Zatheria () - McKenna, 1975
- Legion: Cladotheria () - McKenna, 1975
- Superlegion: Trechnotheria () - McKenna, 1975
- Infraclass: Holotheria () - (Wible et al., 1995) M.C. McKenna & S.K. Bell, 1997
- Subclass: Theriiformes () - (Rowe, 1988) M.C. McKenna & S.K. Bell, 1997
- Class: Mammalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758
- Superclass: Tetrapoda () - Goodrich, 1930
- Infraphylum: Gnathostomata () - auct. - Jawed Vertebrates
- Subphylum: Vertebrata () - Cuvier, 1812 - Vertebrates
- Phylum: Chordata () - Bateson, 1885 - Chordates
- Infrakingdom: Chordonia () - (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Deuterostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 15-Aug-2007
Members of the genus Canis
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 30 species and subspecies in this genus:
C. adustus (Side-Striped Jackal) · C. adustus adustus (Side-Striped Jackal) · C. aureus (Asiatic Jackal) · C. aureus aureus (Golden Jackal) · C. latrans (American Jackal) · C. latrans clepticus (Coyote) · C. latrans latrans (Coyote) · C. lupis baileyi (Mexican Wolf) · C. lupus (Domestic Dog (Feral)) · C. lupus arctos (Arctic Wolf) · C. lupus baileyi (Mexican Gray Wolf) · C. lupus beothucus (Newfoundland Wolf) · C. lupus dingo (Dingo) · C. lupus familiaris (Dingo) · C. lupus hodophilax (Japanese Wolf) · C. lupus irremotus (Northern Rocky Mountains Wolf) · C. lupus ligoni (Alexander Archipelago Wolf) · C. lupus lupus (Domestic Dog) · C. lupus lycaon (Eastern Wolf) · C. lupus minor (Austro-Hungarian Wolf) · C. lupus mogollonensis (Southwestern Wolf) · C. lupus nubilus (Southern Gray Wolf) · C. lupus occidentalis (Northern Gray Wolf) · C. lupus pallipes (Gray Wolf) · C. lupus tundrorum (Gray Wolf) · C. lupus youngi (Southern Rocky Mountains Wolf) · C. mesomelas (Silver-Backed Jackal) · C. microtis (Indus River Dolphin) · C. rufus (Red Wolf) · C. simensis (Ethiopian Wolf)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A catalogue of the mammalia in the Museum of the Hon. East-India Company. London, Printed by J. & H. Cox, 1851. url p. 80, p. 84.
- A course on zoology: designed for secondary education. By C. de Montmahon [!]. .. and H. Beauregard. .. Tr. and adapted for American schools by Wm. H. Greene, M.D. Philadelphia, J.B. Lippincott Company, 1893 [c1892] url p. 214, p. 214.
- A general index of the agricultural reports of the Patent Office, for twenty-five years, from 1837 to 1861; and of the Department of Agriculture, for fifteen years, from 1862 to 1876. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1879. url p. 188.
- A geographical history of mammals. By R. Lydekker. .. Cambridge, The University press, 1896. url .
- A guide to the quadrupeds and reptiles of Europe: with descriptions of all the species / compiled from the latest writers by Lord Clermont. London: J. Van Voorst, 1859. url p. 61.
- A history of the earth and animated nature / with copious notes, to which is subjoined an appendix by Thomas Brown. Glasgow: A. Fullarton, 1840. url p. 479.
- A manual of palæontology for the use of students: with a general introduction on the principles of palæontology / by Henry Alleyne Nicholson. .. and Richard Lydekker. EdinburghW. Blackwood and sons, 1879. url p. 398.
- A manual of zoology for the use of students: with a general introd. on the principles of zoology / by Henry Alleyne Nicholson. London: William Blackwood 8 Sons, 1887. url p. 539.
- A natural history of British and foreign quadrupeds; containing many modern discoveries, original observations, and numerous ancedotes. By James H. Fennell. With two hundred wood cuts. .. London, J. Thomas, 1841. url p. 184.
- A study of the mammals of Iran: resulting from the Street Expedition of 1962-63 [by] Douglas M. Lay. 54 1967 [Chicago]Field Museum of Natural History, 1967. url fig. 5 , fig. 18 , p. 110, p. 202, p. 52, p. 56, p. 60, p. 75, p. 78, p. 81, p. 82, p. 85, p. 86, p. 98.
- A survey of the mammals of Afghanistan, resulting from the 1965 Street Expedition (excluding bats) [by] Jerry D. Hassinger. 60 1973 [Chicago]Field Museum of Natural History, 1973. url p. 118, p. 120, p. 123.
- Advances in the study of mammalian behavior / edited by John F. Eisenberg and Devra G. Kleiman. [Stillwater, Okla.]: American Society of Mammalogists; 1983. url p. 164, p. 243, p. 442, p. 448, p. 452.
- African Ixodoidea. l. Ticks of the Sudan... [Washington]1956. url p. 1033.
- An annotated bibliography on the origin and descent of domestic mammals, [by] Shimon Angress and Charles A. Reed. Chicago:Chicago Natural History Museum Press, 1962. url p. 113, p. 71, p. 94.
- An environmental profile of the Black Sea Coast WCMC url p. 67, p. 99.
- An introduction to the study of mammals living and extinct, London, A. and C. Black, 1891. url .
- Animal Ecology. Englewood Cliffs, N.J., Prentice-Hall, 1961. url p. 457.
- Animal biography, or, Authentic anecdotes of the lives, manners, and economy, of the animal creation: arranged according to the system of Linnaeus / by the Rev. W. Bingley; in three volumes. London: Printed for Richard Phillips and sold by all booksellers, 1804. url p. 243.
- Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences. New York, New York Academy of Sciences. url , p. 245.
- Annals of tropical medicine and parasitology. LiverpoolUniversity Press [etc.] url p. 357, p. 361, p. 6.
- Annotated CITES Appendices and Reservations CITES url p. 42.
- Annual report of the Board of Regents of the Smithsonian Institution. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, -1965. url p. 116, p. 122, p. 138, p. 143, p. 144.
- Aristotle's History of animals. In ten books. London, Bell, 1887. url p. 311.
- Arrian on coursing: the Cynegeticus of the younger Xenophon, translated from the Greek, with classical and practical annotations, and a brief sketch of the life and writings of the author. To which is added an appendix, By a graduate of medicine. With embellishments from the antique. London: J. Bohn, 1831. url p. 217, p. 254.
- Aus dem reiche der pelze. bd. I: Geschichte des rauchwarenhandels. bd. II: Naturgeschichte der pelztiere. Von Emil Brass. Berlin, Im verlage der Neuen pelzwaren-zeitung[pref. 1911] url , , p. 445, p. 446.
- Biosphere Reserves, Compilation 4, October 1986: programme on man and the biosphere (MAB) IUCN Conservation Monitoring Centre url p. 191, p. 193, p. 234, p. 236, p. 237, p. 294, p. 331, p. 371.
- Blood immunity and blood relationship; a demonstration of certain blood-relationships amongst animals by means of the precipitin test for blood, Cambridge, University press, 1904. url p. 319, p. 330.
- Brehm's Life of animals: a complete natural history for popular home instruction and for the use of schools. by Alfred Edmund Brehm; copiously illustrated with wood cuts and color-plates by Fr. Specht. .. [et al]; translated from the third German edition as edited by Prof. Dr. Pechuel-Loesche and William H 1 1895 Chicago: Marquis, 1895. url figure , p. 194.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url p. 150, p. 56, p. 670, p. 69.
- Bulletin / Field Museum of Natural History. [Chicago]: The Museum, 1966-1972. url p. 14.
- Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History). London: BM(NH) url p. 123, p. 136, p. 141, p. 144, p. 145, p. 146, p. 147, p. 148, p. 149, p. 164, p. 168, p. 180, p. 181, p. 194, p. 217, p. 221.
- Bulletin of the Museum of Comparative Zoology at Harvard College. 83 1939 Cambridge, Mass.: The Museum, 1863- url p. 193, p. 4, p. 4, p. 434, p. 571, p. 752.
- Bulletin of the Southern California Academy of Sciences Los Angeles, Calif.: The Academy, 1971- url p. 144, p. 145, p. 146, p. 149, p. 150, p. 151.
- Carnegie Institution of Washington publication. Washington, Carnegie Institution of Washington, 1902- url , p. 265.
- Cassell's natural history / by F. Martin Duncan. London; Cassell and Co., 1913. url p. 414.
- Cassell's natural history. Ed. by P. Martin Duncan. .. London [etc]Cassell & Company, Limited, 1896. url p. 155.
- Catalogue of Mammalia in the Indian Museum, Calcutta / by John Anderson, Superintendent of the Indian Museum. Calcutta, 1881-1891. url p. 261, p. 264, p. 361.
- Catalogue of carnivorous, pachydermatous and edentate Mammalia. .. in the. .. Museum / by J.E. Gray London, 1869. url p. 188.
- Catalogue of mammalia in the Indian Museum, Calcutta, Calcutta, 1881-1891. url , , , .
- Catalogue of mammals and birds of Burma: with a memoir, and a portrait of the author. Hertford: Printed by S. Austin & Sons, 1875. url .
- Catalogue of the bones of Mammalia in the collection of the British museum. London, Printed by Order of the Trustees, 1862. url .
- Catalogue of the bones of mammalia in the collection of the British Museum / [compiled by Edward Gerrard]. London: printed by Taylor and Francis, by order of the Trustees, 1862 url p. 82.
- Catalogue of the fossil Mammalia in the British museum (Natural History) by Richard Lydekker. London: Printed by order of the Trustees, 1885-1887. url p. 129, p. 136.
- Catalogue of the library of the Linnean Society of London. London: The Society, 1896. url p. 459.
- Catalogue of the mammals of Western Europe (Europe exclusive of Russia) in the collection of the British Museum London: printed by order of the Trustees, 1912. url , , , , , .
- Catalogue of the mammals of western Europe (Europe exclusive of Russia) in the collection of the British Museum / by Gerrit S. Miller. London: BMNH, 1912. url p. 1003, p. 1012, p. 304, p. 313, p. 315, p. 318.
- Catalogue of the specimens and drawings of mammalia and birds of Nepal and Thibet. Presented by B.H. Hodgson to the British Museum. London, By order of the Trustees, 1846. url p. 11.
- Ceylon: an account of the island, physical, historical, and topographical with notices of its natural history, antiquities and productions / by Sir James Emerson Tennent. London: Longman, Green, Longman, and Roberts, 1860. url p. 145, p. 160.
- Ceylon; an account of the island, physical, historical, and topographical, with notices of its natural history, antiquities and productions, by Sir James Emerson Tennent. London: Longman, Green, Longman, and Roberts, 1860. url p. 160.
- Chapters on the natural history of the United States / by R. W. Shufeldt. New York: Studer Brothers, 1900. url p. 456, p. 459, p. 461.
- Checklist of CITES Species CITES, WCMC url p. 121, p. 124, p. 157, p. 77.
- Checklist of CITES Species: a reference to the appendices to the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora CITES url p. 105, p. 136, p. 89, p. 94.
- Checklist of Palaearctic and Indian mammals 1758 to 1946 / by J.R. Ellerman and T.C.S. Morrison-Scott. London: BM(NH), 1966. url p. 217, p. 220, p. 221, p. 222, p. 421.
- Checklist of mammals listed in the CITES appendices and in EC Regulation 338/97 JNCC url p. 43.
- Checklists for the CORINE Biotopes Programme and its application in the PHARE countries of Central and East Europe: including comparisons with relevant conventions and agreements on the conservation of European species and habitats EC url p. 98.
- Class book of zoology: designed to afford to pupils in common schools and academies a knowledge of the animal kingdom: with a list of the different species found in the state of New York: the whole scientifically and syst New York: D. Appleton & Company; 1849. url p. 34.
- Classification of the collection to illustrate the animal resources of the United States. A list of substances derived from the animal kingdom, with synopsis of the useful and injurious animals and a classification to the methods of capture and utilization. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1876. url .
- Collected writings on mammals. [v.p.]1870-1908. url p. 377.
- Descriptive catalogue of the osteological series contained in the museum. .. by Richard Owen. London, Taylor and Francis, 1853. url p. 690.
- Directory of Wetlands of International Importance. IUCN url p. 266, p. 303, p. 304, p. 424, p. 484, p. 633, p. 634, p. 762.
- Directory of the proposed Nilgiri Biosphere Reserve: draft WCMC url , .
- Dogs, jackals, wolves, and foxes: a monograph of the Canidae / by St. George Mivart; with woodcuts, and 45 coloured plates drawn from nature by J. G. Keulemans and hand-coloured. London: R.H. Porter, 1890. url , , , p. 35, p. 37, p. 47.
- Edinburgh journal of natural history and of the physical sciences. Edinburgh [etc.]: Published for the proprietor [etc.], 1835-1840. url p. 45, p. 58.
- Elementary text-book of zoology. By Dr. C. Claus, tr. and ed. by Adam Sedgwick with the assistance of F. G. Heathcote. London, W. S. Sonnenschein, 1884-85. url p. 326.
- Elementary textbook of economic zoology and entomology, by Vernon Lyman Kellogg. .. and Rennie Wilbur Doane. New York: H. Holt and company, [c1915] url p. 325, p. 519.
- Elements of the general and minute anatomy of man and the mammalia: chiefly after original researches / London: Bailliere, 1842. url p. 38.
- Entomological news. [Philadelphia]American Entomological Society, 1925- url p. 231.
- Evolution in the past, London, Herbert and Daniel, 1912. url .
- Evolution in the past, by Henry R. Knipe, with illustrations by Alice B. Woodward and Ernest Bucknall. London: Herbert and Daniel, 1912. url p. 173.
- Experiment station record. Washington: G.P.O., 1889-1946. url p. 122, p. 792, p. 838.
- Fleas, flukes & cuckoos; a study of bird parasites, by Miriam Rothschild and Theresa Clay. New York, Macmillan, 1957. url p. 190, p. 290.
- Fourteen weeks in zoology / by J. Dorman Steele. New York: A.S. Barnes & Company, c1876. url p. 299.
- Fourteen weeks in zoology. Chicago [etc.]A. S. Barnes & Company, [c1872] url .
- Fur-bearing animals in nature and in commerce. London, Gurney & Jackson, 1892. url , p. 102, p. 102.
- Geological magazine. London [etc.]Cambridge University Press. url p. 444.
- Handbook of zoology / by J. van der Hoeven. Cambridge: University Press, 1856-1858. url p. 712.
- Handbook of zoology; by J. van der Hoeven. Tr. from the 2d Dutch ed. by the Rev. William Clark. Cambridge: Longman, Brown, Green, Longmans, and Roberts, 1856-58. url p. 712.
- Hardwicke's science-gossip: an illustrated medium of interchange and gossip for students and lovers of nature. London: Robert Hardwicke, 1866- url , p. 175, p. 176.
- Historical and descriptive account of British India, from the most remote period to the present time New YorkJ. & J. Harper1832 url p. 27.
- History and description of the Royal Museum of Natural History, published by order of the administration of that establishment. Translated from the French of M. Deleuze. With three plans and fourteen views of the galleries, gardens, and menagerie. Paris, A. Royer, 1823. url p. 569.
- History of animals in ten books. Translated by Richard Cresswell. London, G. Bell, 1902. url p. 311.
- Hunting & shooting in Ceylon, by Harry Storey; with contributions by Thos. Farr; Lieut.-Col. E. Gordon Reeves [and others]. .. with 69 illustrations from photographs and 1 map. Bombay, andLongmans, Green, and co., 1907. url p. 40.
- IUCN Directory of Afrotropical Protected Areas IUCN, UNEP url p. 1014, p. 189, p. 195, p. 196, p. 395, p. 465, p. 470, p. 493, p. 531, p. 533, p. 839.
- IUCN Directory of South Asian Protected Areas IUCN url p. 106, p. 114, p. 118, p. 120, p. 124, p. 127, p. 137, p. 145, p. 164, p. 167, p. 171, p. 175, p. 196, p. 199, p. 204, p. 21, p. 221, p. 226, p. 229, p. 240, p. 244, p. 257, p. 260, p. 262, p. 264, p. 29, p. 9, p. 92.
- Ibis. [London]Published for the British Ornithologists' Union by Academic Press. url p. 156.
- Iconographic encyclopaedia of science, literature, and art. systematically arranged by J.G. Heck. Translated from the German, with additions, and edited by Spencer F. Baird. .. illustrated by five hundred steel plates, containing upwards to twelve thousand en New York, R. Garrigue, 1851. url p. 20.
- Illustrated natural history of the animal kingdom, being a systematic and popular description of the habits, structure, and classification of animals from the highest to the lowest forms, with their r New-YorkDerby & Jackson1859 url p. 238.
- Index generum mammalium: a list of the genera and families of mammals. By T. S. Palmer. .. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1904. url p. 157, p. 386, p. 491, p. 614, p. 708, p. 823, p. 825, p. 826.
- International catalogue of scientific literature. LondonPublished for the International Council by the Royal Society of London1901-1920 url p. 24, p. 31, p. 7.
- International code of zoological nomenclature adopted by the XV International Congress of Zoology / Code international de nomenclature zoologique, adopté par le XVe Congrès international de zoologie. London: International Trust for Zoological Nomenclature, 1964. url .
- Introduction to evolution. New York, Harper url p. 307.
- Introduction to the mammal survey of the 1965 Street Expedition to Afghanistan [by] Jerry D. Hassinger. 55 1968 [Chicago]Field Museum of Natural History, 1968. url p. 65, p. 67.
- Ixodidae / par L. G. Neumann. Berlin: R. Friedlander und sohn, 1911. url p. 114, p. 152, p. 36.
- Ixodidae. BerlinR. Friedländer1911 url p. 114, p. 152, p. 36.
- Journal of anatomy and physiology. Cambridge [Eng., etc.]University Press url p. 144, p. 331.
- Journal of the East Africa Natural History Society: official publication of the Coryndon Memorial Museum (Museum Trustees of Kenya). Nairobi, Kenya: The Museum, 1942- url p. 154.
- Journal of the Royal Microscopical Society. Oxford [etc.]Royal Microscopical Society. url p. 758.
- Jungle by-ways in India; leaves from the note-book of a sportsman and a naturalist, London, J. Lane company, 1911  url , .
- Late Pleistocene vertebrates from archaeological sites in the Plain of Kom Ombo, Upper Egypt / [Toronto: Royal Ontario Museum], 1972. url p. 128.
- List of the animals in the gardens of the Zoological Society: with notices respecting them: May, 1837. London: Printed by Richard and John E. Taylor, 1837. url p. 30.
- List of the vertebrated animals now or lately living in the gardens of the Zoological Society of London. London, Printed for the Society, 1896. url p. 77, p. 77.
- List of vertebrated animals living in the gardens of the Zoological Society of London. .. London, Printed for the Society, 1866. url p. 16.
- Magazine of zoology and botany. Edinburgh; Dublin. url p. 575.
- Mammalia, by W. T. Blanford, F. R. S. London: Taylor and Francis, 1888-91. url p. 135, p. 135, p. 140, p. 140.
- Mammalia: their various forms and habits, popularly illustrated by typical species / London; Cassell, Petter, Galpin & Co., 1883. url p. 599.
- Mammals of Eastern Asia / by G.H.H. Tate. New York: The Macmillan Company, 1947. url p. 159, p. 160.
- Mammals of the Soviet Union / V.G. Heptner, A.A. Nasimovich, and A.G. Bannikov; scientific editor, Robert S. Hoffmann. Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Libraries and National Science Foundation, 1988- url , p. 124, p. 129, p. 130, p. 133, p. 138, p. 1421, p. 1429, p. 1477, p. 1495, p. 385, p. 75, p. 762.
- Monitore zoologico italiano. [Siena]: Instituto anatomico della R. Università di Siena, [1890-1988] url p. 193.
- Narrative of discovery and adventure in Africa, from the earliest ages to the present time: with illustrations of the geology, mineralogy, and zoology. By Professor Jameson, James Wilson, and Hugh Murray. New York: Harper & Brothers, 1840. url p. 302.
- Natural history of the Mammalia of India and Ceylon / by Robert A. Sterndale; with 170 illustrations by the author, T.W. Wood, and others. Calcutta: Thacker, Spink, 1884. url p. 237, p. 535.
- Natural history of the animal kingdom for the use of young people: in three parts, comprising I. Mammalia: II. Birds: Part III. Reptiles, amphibia, fishes, insects, worms, molluscs, zoophytes, &c.: with 91 coloured plates, including about 850 figures, and numerous adapted from the German of Professor von Schubert by W.F. Kirby. 1889 Brighton: E. & J.B. Young and Co., 1889. url figure , p. 11, p. VII, plate X.
- Natural history, by R. Lydekker [and others] London, Hutchinson, 1897. url p. 732.
- Nature Reserves of the Himalaya and the Mountains of Central Asia IUCN url p. 113, p. 15, p. 18, p. 188, p. 211, p. 220, p. 227, p. 250, p. 263, p. 272, p. 338, p. 355, p. 358, p. 365, p. 372, p. 376, p. 384, p. 457, p. 462, p. 9.
- Nature et faune: revue internationale pour la conservation de la nature en Afrique = Wildlife and nature: international journal on nature conservation in Africa. Accra, Ghana: Bureau régional de la F.A.O. pour l'Afrique, url p. 34.
- Nature. London, etc., Macmillan Journals Ltd., etc. url p. 34, p. 359, p. 407, p. 484.
- North American Quaternary Canis / Ronald M. Nowak. Lawrence, Kans.: Museum of Natural History, University of Kansas, 1979. url fig. 55, page 119, p. 66, p. 67, p. 95.
- North American fauna. Washington: Fish and Wildlife Service; for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U. S. Govt. Print. Off. url p. 386, p. 676, p. 708, p. 823, p. 825, p. 826.
- Notes on Jerdon's Mammals of India by an Indian sportsman and lover of natural history. Madras, Higginbotham, 1871. url p. 265.
- Notes on sport and ornithology, London, Gurney and Jackson, 1889. url .
- Notes on sport and ornithology, by his imperial and royal highness the late crown prince Rudolph of Austria. Tr with the author's permission, by C. G. Danford. London, Gurney and Jackson, 1889. url p. 291, p. 343, p. 640.
- Notes on sport and ornithology. Translated with the author's permission, by C. G. Danford. London, Gurney and Jackson, 1889. url p. 291.
- Observations on the geology and zoology of Abyssinia, made during the progress of the British expedition to that country in 1867-68. London, Macmillan and co., 1870. url , .
- On the anatomy of vertebrates. .. By Richard Owen. London, Longmans, Green and Co., 1866-68. url p. 503, p. 841, p. 869.
- On the anatomy of vertebrates. LondonLongmans, Green1866-68 url p. 841, p. 869.
- Ophidia taprobanica; or, The snakes of Ceylon. Colombo, H. R. Cottle, govt. printer, 1921. url , , p. 566.
- Oppian, Colluthus, Tryphiodorus, with an English translation by A.W. Mair LondonW. Heinemann1928 url p. 517.
- Outlines of general zoology. New York [N.Y.]: Rudolph Garrigue, 1851. url , , p. 489, p. 489.
- Popular science monthly. New York: D. Appleton, 1872-1950. url p. 362.
- Principles of geology: or the modern changes of the earth and its inhabitants considered as illustrative of geology / London: John Murray, 1867-68. url p. 179.
- Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia, Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia url p. 146, p. 146.
- Proceedings of the Committee of Science and Correspondence of the Zoological Society of London. [London]: Printed for the Society by Richard Taylor, [1831-1832] url p. 101, p. 101, p. 101, p. 177, p. 177, p. 177.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 102, p. 15, p. 3, p. 549, p. 58, p. 607, p. 61, p. 612, p. 739.
- Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London. London: Academic Press, [etc.], 1833-1965. url p. 1011, p. 1044, p. 1044, p. 124, p. 141, p. 154, p. 156, p. 156, p. 157, p. 158, p. 159, p. 159, p. 160, p. 164, p. 168, p. 169, p. 172, p. 173, p. 2, p. 2, p. 253, p. 266, p. 276, p. 284, p. 322, p. 324, p. 376, p. 387, p. 391, p. 392, p. 397, p. 44, p. 493, p. 497, p. 504, p. 515, p. 522, p. 522, p. 53, p. 535, p. 535, p. 544, p. 545, p. 551, p. 551, p. 56, p. 56, p. 565, p. 676, p. 702, p. 722, p. 729, p. 749, p. 766, p. 797, p. 810, p. 862, p. 91, p. 916, p. 927, p. 97, p. 97.
- Proceedings of the section of sciences / Koninklijke Akademie van Wetenschappen te Amsterdam. Amsterdam: Johannes Müller, [1899-1937]. url p. 668.
- Protected Landscapes: experience around the world. Prepared for the International Symposium on Protected Landscapes, Grange-over-Sands, England 5-10 October 1987 IUCN url p. 126, p. 201, p. 203.
- Protozoa. .. by B. L. Bhatia. .. London, Taylor and Francis, 1936- url p. 20, p. 25, p. 28, p. 312, p. 456, p. 457.
- Protozoan parasites of domestic animals and of man. Minneapolis, Burgess Pub. Co. url p. 302.
- Pythons in south-east Asia: a review of distribution, status and trade in three selected species. A report to the CITES Secretariat CITES Secretariat url p. 22.
- Records of the Australian Museum. Sydney: Printed by order of the Trustees, 1890- url p. 158.
- Records of the Indian Museum. Calcutta: Pub. by order of the trustees of the Indian Museum, . 1907-1962. url , p. 291, p. 44.
- Report of the Commissioner of Agriculture. .. Washington: G.P.O., 1863-1889. url p. 450.
- Report of the Secretary of the Smithsonian Institution and financial report of the Executive Committee of the Board of Regents for the year ending June 30. .. Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution, 1933-1965. url p. 116, p. 122, p. 143, p. 144.
- Report on the ravages of the borer in coffee estates / by George Bidie. Madras: Gantz Brothers, 1869. url p. 70.
- Reports on zoology for 1843, 1844 / Tr. from the German by George Busk, Alfred Tulk, esq., and Alexander H. Haliday, esq. London: Printed for the Ray society, 1847. url p. 31.
- Revised list of the vertebrated animals now or lately living in the gardens of the Zoological Society of London. Supplement containing additions received in 1872, 1873, and 1874. London, For the Society, 1875. url p. 9.
- Roentgenologic studies of Egyptian and Peruvian mummies / by Roy L. Moodie --; Berthold Laufer --, editor. Chicago:Field Museum Press, 1931. url p. 57.
- Rural life described and illustrated, in the management of horses, dogs, cattle, sheep, pigs, poultry, etc. etc.: their treatment in health and disease: with authentic information on all that relates to modern farming, gardening, shooting, angling, etc. etc. / by John Sherer; and a complete system of modern veterinary practice, illustrated. London; London Printing and Pub. Co.[between 1868 and 1888] url p. 371.
- Sanitary entomology; the entomology of disease, hygiene and sanitation, Boston, R. G. Badger url .
- Science-gossip. Berlin: R. Friedländer & Sohn, -1902. url p. 24.
- Selected readings in mammalogy: selected from the original literature and introduced with comments / by J. Knox Jones, Jr., Sydney Anderson, and Robert S. Hoffmann. Lawrence, Kan.: Museum of Natural History, University of Kansas, 1976. url p. 394.
- Siphonaptera collected during the 1965 Street Expedition to Afghanistan [by] Robert E. Lewis. 64 1973 [Chicago]Field Museum of Natural History, 1973. url p. 10, p. 11, p. 14.
- Sketches of the natural history of Ceylon: with narratives and anecdotes illustrative of the habits and instincts of the mammalia, birds, reptiles, fishes, insects, &c.: including a monograph of the elephant and a description of the modes of by Sir J. Emerson Tennent. London: Longman, Green, Longman, and Roberts, 1868 url p. 74.
- Smithsonian contributions to knowledge. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1848-1916. url .
- Smithsonian miscellaneous collections. 63 1914 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1862-1968. url p. 1, p. 69.
- Smithsonian year. 1965 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1965-1976. url p. 170.
- Some Indian friends and acquaintances; a study of the ways of birds and other animals frequenting Indian streets and gardens; by Lt.-Colonel D. D. Cunningham. London: J. Murray, 1903. url p. 267, p. 411, p. 415.
- Some account of the fauna and flora of Sinai, Petra, and Wa?dy 'Arabah, London, Pub. for the Committee of the Palestine exploration fund by A. P. Watt, 1891. url .
- Some south Indian insects and other animals of importance considered especially from an economic point of view / by T. Bainbrigge Fletcher. Madras, Printed by the superintendent, government press, 1914. url p. 549.
- Special scientific report--wildlife / U.S. Department of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service. Washington, D.C.: The Service, 1949- url p. 613.
- Spolia zeylanica. S.l.: s.n. url , , p. 135, p. 70.
- Stray feathers. Journal of ornithology for India and its dependencies. Calcutta: s.n., 1872-1899. url p. 353, p. 369.
- System of ophthalmology. St. Louis, Mosby, 1958- url p. 809.
- Systematic review of the rhesus macaque, Macaca mulatta (Zimmermann, 1780) / Jack Fooden. 96 2000 Chicago, Ill.: Field Museum of Natural History, 2000. url p. 179, p. 68.
- Text book of zoology London, Sampson Low, Marston, 1896. url .
- Text-book of zoology for junior students. New York, American Book Co. url .
- Text-book of zoology; treated from a biological standpoint, by Dr. Otto Schmeil; tr. from the German by Rudolf Rosenstock, M. A.; ed. by J. T. Cunningham, M. A. London, A. and C. Black, 1901. url p. 38.
- The Annals and magazine of natural history; zoology, botany, and geology being a continuation of the Annals combined with Loudon and Charlesworth's Magazine of Natural History. London, Taylor and Francis, Ltd. url p. 171, p. 313, p. 376, p. 376, p. 405, p. 456, p. 456, p. 535.
- The Cambridge natural history / edited by S. F. Harmer and A. E. Shipley. London: Macmillan and Co.; 1895-1909. url p. 593.
- The Cambridge natural history, ed. by S.F. Harmer. .. and A.E. Shipley. .. London, Macmillan and co., limited;1895-1909 url p. 593.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 171, p. 172, p. 33, p. 739.
- The Journal of the Bombay Natural History Society. Bombay: The Society, url , p. 1100, p. 1184, p. 158, p. 256, p. 333, p. 402, p. 506, p. 518, p. 538, p. 577, p. 580, p. 591, p. 614, p. 694, p. 758, p. 788, p. 837, p. 838, p. 848.
- The Journal of the Natural History Society of Siam. [Bangkok, Thailand]: The Society, url p. 110, p. 147.
- The Last Rain Forests Reed International Books Ltd. url p. 153, p. 197.
- The Philosophical magazine: or Annals of chemistry, mathematics, astronomy, natural history and general science. London: Richard Taylor and Co. url p. 306.
- The Popular science monthly. New York, Popular Science Pub. Co., etc. url p. 362.
- The Tower menagerie: comprising the natural history of the animals contained in that establishment; with anecdotes of their characters and history / illustrated by portraits of each, taken from life, by William Harvey; and engraved on wood by Branston and Wright. Dublin: and sold by W.F. Wakeman, 1829. url p. 97.
- The Zoological journal. London: W. Phillips, 1824- url p. 387, p. 387.
- The animal kingdom, or zoological system, of the celebrated Sir Charles Linnæus. containing a complete systematic description, arrangement, and nomenclature, of all the known species and varieties of the mammalia, or animals which give suck to their young / Edinburgh: Printed for A. Strahan, and T. Cadell, London, and W. Creech, Edinburgh, 1792. url .
- The animal kingdom; based upon the writings of the eminent naturalists, Audubon, Wallace, Brehm, Wood and others / edited by Hugh Craig. New York: Johnson & Bailey, 1897. url p. 796.
- The animals and man; an elementary textbook of zoology and human physiology, New York, H. Holt and Company, 1911. url .
- The anthropology of Iraq. The Upper Euphrates / by Henry Field, Curator of Physical Anthropology. Chicago:Field Museum, 1940 url p. 159, p. 218.
- The carnivores of West Africa. London: Trustees of the British Museum (Natural History), 1974. url p. 36, p. 67.
- The coccidian parasites (Protozoa, Apicomplexa) of carnivores / Urbana: University of Illinois Press, c1981. url p. 191, p. 238, p. 246, p. 51.
- The contemporary land mammals of Egypt (including Sinai) / Dale J. Osborn, Ibrahim Helmy. 5 1980 [Chicago]: Field Museum of Natural History, 1980. url p. 360, p. 365, p. 53, p. vii.
- The contribution of archaeology to the zoogeography of Borneo: with the first record of a wild canid of Early Holocene Age; a contribution in celebration of the distinguished scholarship of Robert F. Inger on the occasion of his sixty-fifth birthday / Earl of Cranbrook. 42 1988 Chicago: Field Museum of Natural History, 1988. url table 1 , p. 3.
- The diary of a sportsman naturalist in India, by E. P. Stebbing, with illustrations from photographs and sketches by the author and others. London, John Lane;1920. url p. 16, p. 295.
- The game animals of India, Burma, Malaya, and Tibet; being a new and revised edition of 'The great and small game of India, Burma, and Tibet, ' by R. Lydekker. With nine plates and fifty-nine other illustrations. London, R. Ward, limited, 1907. url p. 404.
- The geographical distribution of mammals. By Andrew Murray. London, Day and Son, limited, 1866. url p. 374, p. 385, p. 388.
- The handy natural history, by Ernest Protheroe, F.Z.S. With 318 illustrations, 136 being in full color. 1910 Boston, R.G. Badger, The Gorham press, 1910. url p. 155.
- The journal of the Asiatic Society of Bengal. Calcutta: Bishop's College Press, 1832-1936 url p. 163, p. 25.
- The journal of the Natural History Society of Siam. [London: Luzac, 1914]-1924. url , p. 110.
- The mammals of Africa: country lists. Draft document IUCN Conservation Monitoring Centre, UNEP, WWF url , .
- The mammals of India: a natural history of all the animals known to inhabit continental India / Roorkee: Printed for the author by the Thomason college press, 1867. url , .
- The mammals of India; a natural history of all the animals known to inhabit continental India. London, J. Wheldon, 1874. url p. 142, p. 142, p. 143, p. 143, p. 328, p. 328.
- The mammals of Minnesota. A scientific and popular account of their features and habits, with 23 figures and 8 plates. By C.L. Herrick. Minneapolis: Harrison & Smith, state printers, 1892. url p. 76.
- The mammals of Minnesota: a scientific and popular account of their features and habits, with 23 figures and 8 plates / by C.L. Herrick. Minneapolis: Harrison & Smith, state printers, 1892. url p. 76.
- The mammals of the Caucasus; a history of the evolution of the fauna. (Mlekopitayushchie Kavkaza; istoriya formirovaniya fauny). [By] N. K. Vereskchagin. Chief editor: E. N. Pavlovskii. Editor of this volume: A. A. Strelkov. Translated from Russian [by A. Lerman and B. Rabinovich. Edited by M. Loeb] Jerusalem: Israel Program for Scientific Translations [available from the U.S. Dept. of Commerce, Clearinghouse for Federal Scientific and Technical Information, Springfield, Va.], 1967. url p. 141, p. 150, p. 166, p. 207, p. 209, p. 232, p. 467.
- The museum of natural history, with introductory essay on the natural history of the primeval world: being a popular account of the structure, habits, and classification of the various departments of the animal kingdom, quadrupeds, birds, reptiles, fishes, shells, and insects, including the insects d by Sir John Richardson, William S. Dallas, T. Spencer Cobbold, and William Baird & Adam White. Edinburgh: William MacKenzie, [1869?] url p. 222.
- The natural history of Pliny. London, H. G. Bohn, 1855-57. url , p. 283.
- The natural history of animals (class Mammalia-animals which suckle their young), in word and picture, London, Blackie[188-?] url , .
- The natural history of animals: (class Mammalia--animals which suckle their young), in word and picture / by Carl Vogt and Friedrich Specht; translated and edited with additions by George G. Chisholm. London: Blackie & Son, [1889?] url , p. vii, p. xi.
- The natural history of animals: the animal life of the world in its various aspects and relations, by J. R. Ainsworth Davis. London, The Gresham publishing company, 1903-04. url p. 93.
- The natural history of dogs: canidae or genus canis of authors; including also the genera hyaena and proteles / by Lieut. Col. Chas. Hamilton Smith. Edinburgh: W.H. Lizars, 1839-1840. url p. 289.
- The naturalist's library. Conducted by Sir William Jardine. Edinburgh, W. H. Lizars; [etc., etc.]1833- url p. 214, p. 289.
- The organism as a whole, from a physico-chemical viewpoint. New YorkPutnam1916 url p. 57.
- The pictorial museum of animated nature. .. 1 London: C. Cox, [1844?] url p. 206.
- The popular natural history / New York, Burt Co.[1884?] url .
- The royal natural history / edited by Richard Lydekker; with preface by P.L. Sclater; illustrated with seventy-two coloured plates and sixteen hundred engravings by W. Kuhnert, F. Specht, P.J. Smit, G. Mützel, A.T. Elwes, J. W London and New York: Frederick Warne & Co., 1893-1896. url p. 502.
- The royal natural history. With pref. by P. L. Sclater. Illustrated with 72 col. plates and 1600 engravings. London, F. Warne, 1893-96. url p. 502.
- The standard natural history / edited by John Sterling Kingsley. Boston: S.E. Cassino, 1884-85. url p. 420.
- The survey of western Palestine. The fauna and flora of Palestine, by H. B. Tristram. London, The Committee of the Palestine Exploration Fund, 1884. url p. 21.
- The variation of animals and plants under domestication, by Charles Darwin. London, J. Murray, 1893. url p. 438.
- The vertebrate zoology of Sind. A systematic account, with descriptions of all the known species of mammals, birds, and reptiles inhabiting the province. .. London, Richardson, 1884. url , , .
- The vertebrate zoology of Sind: a systematic account. .. / by James A. Murray. London: Richardson, 1884. url p. 35, p. 417.
- The wild beasts of the world / illustrated by Louis Sargent and others. London, Jack, 1909. url .
- The wild beasts of the world; Edinburgh, T. C. & E. C. Jack,  url .
- The zoologist's text-book, embracing the characters of the classes, orders, and genera, of almost the whole animal kingdom. .. By Captain Thomas Brown. .. Glasgow, A. Fullarton, & co.; [etc., etc.]1832. url p. 82.
- Third American edition of the British encyclopedia, or Dictionary of arts and sciences: comprising an accurate and popular view of the present improved state of human knowledge / by William Nicholson. Philadelphia: Mitchell, Ames and White, 1818. url .
- Ticks, a monograph of the Ixodoidea. Bibliography of the Ixodoidea, CambridgeUniversity Press1911-15 url p. 49.
- Transactions of the Linnean Society of London. London: [The Society], 1879- url p. 461, p. 57.
- Two years in the jungle: the experiences of a hunter and naturalist in India, Ceylon, the Malay Peninsula and Borneo / New York: Charles Scribner's Sons, 1910. url p. 499, p. 63.
- Veröffentlichungen der Zoologischen Staatssammlung München. München: Die Staatssammlung, url p. 177, p. 219, p. 93, p. 94.
- Voyages and travels in the Levant in the years 1749, 50, 51, 52: containing observations in natural history, physick, agriculture and commerce: particularly on the Holy Land and the natural history of the Scriptures / written originally in the Swedish language by the late Frederick Hasselquist; published. .. by Charles Linnaeus. London: Printed for L. Davis and C. Reymers, 1766. url p. 184, p. 211, p. 277, p. 409.
- Wild life of the world: a descriptive survey of the geographical distribution of animals / 2 London; F. Warne and co., 1916. url p. 139.
- World Checklist of Threatened Mammals JNCC url p. 66.
- Zoology [by] A. M. Winchester [and] Harvey B. Lovell. New York, Van Nostrand url p. 79.
- [Wanderings of a naturalist in India: the western Himalayas, and Cashmere / by Andrew Leith Adams] Edinburgh: Edmonston and Douglas, 1867 url p. 321, p. 40.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 9, 2012.
- IUCN 2012. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. . Downloaded on January 28, 2012.
- Jhala, Y.V. & Moehlman, P.D. 2008. Canis aureus. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloadedon 31January2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 17, 2007:
- European Environment Agency, EUNIS
- Field Museum, Mammal specimens
- Israel Nature and Parks Authority, Israel Nature and Parks Authority
- Los Angeles County Museum of Natural History, Vertebrate specimens
- Marine Science Institute, UCSB, Paleobiology Database
- Michigan State University Museum, Vertebrate specimens
- Museum of Vertebrate Zoology, Terrestrial vertebrate specimens
- University of Michigan Museum of Zoology
- , Mammal specimens
- University of Washington Burke Museum, Mammal Specimens
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 105420
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-183817
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 13808239
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 183817
- IUCN ID: 197741
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 2216
- Mean = 311.220 meters (1,021.063 feet), Standard Deviation = 353.660 based on 1,704 observations. Altitude information for each observation from British Oceanographic Data Centre. [back]
- Jhala, Y.V. & Moehlman, P.D. 2008. Canis aureus. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloaded on 31 January 2012. [back]