- Their heads are puffy (their name means cow-head) yet they are one of the smallest ducks in North America. Their bill is tiny and their form is chunky and they are not known to breed until 2 years old.
- They nest in holes located in trees and do not use any materials . Bufflehead demonstrate a propensity to return to the same nesting holes every year.
- Bufflehead are one of the best known divers and can take off from the water without running along the surface, unlike other diving ducks. They usually are in motion flying about and diving frequently. The male Bufflehead utters a squeaky whistle while the female has a harsh quack.
Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Dutch:
Common Names in English:
Bufflehead, Buffalo-Headed Duck, Buffle-Headed Duck, Bufflehead Duck, Bumblebee Duck, Butter Duck, Butter-Back, Butter-Box, Butterball, Conjuring Duck, Dapper, Dipper, Dipper-Duck, Dopper, Hell-Diver, Little Black and White Duck, Little Brown Duck, Marionette, Robin Dipper, Spirit Duck, Wool Duck
Common Names in French:
Garrot Albéole, Petit Garrot
Common Names in German:
Common Names in Italian:
Common Names in Japanese:
Common Names in Spanish:
Pato Monja, Porrón Albeola
Adult Female: Face : Cheeks: white Body: gray brown Underparts: white.Adult Male: Head : dark with green-purple gloss and large white patch on rear Bill: Length : short Body: Back: black Color: mostly white.
male alternate: Alternate plumage worn from fall
summer · Dark glossy head
· Large white patch
head from behind
the eye · White breast, belly and flanks
· Dark back · Inner wing white and outer wing dark,
visible in flight
Adult male basic: Similar to adult female but with a larger white cheek patch
Adult female: Dark brown head and body, breast and flanks paler · Oval white patch on face behind eye · White belly · White inner secondaries and otherwise dark wing , visible in flight
About 10 to 16 inches long, with a wingspan of 20 to 24 inches. Adults weigh about 16 ounces .
Woodlands of North America
Vegetation: freshwater lakes and ponds, freshwater marshes, coastal waters • Maximum Elevation: 2,500 meters • Sensitivity to Disturbance: Medium
Typically found in a lake at a mean distance from sea level of 338 meters (1,109 feet).
List of Habitats
- 1 Forest
- 1.1 Forest - Boreal
- 5 Wetlands (inland)
- 5.5 Wetlands (inland) - Permanent Freshwater Lakes (over 8ha)
- 5.7 Wetlands (inland) - Permanent Freshwater Marshes/Pools (under 8ha)
- 9 Marine Neritic
- 9.2 Marine Neritic - Subtidal Rock and Rocky Reefs
- 9.3 Marine Neritic - Subtidal Loose Rock/pebble/gravel
- 9.4 Marine Neritic - Subtidal Sandy
- 9.5 Marine Neritic - Subtidal Sandy-Mud
- 9.7 Marine Neritic - Macroalgal/Kelp
- 9.9 Marine Neritic - Seagrass (Submerged)
- 13 Marine Coastal/Supratidal
- 13.4 Marine Coastal/Supratidal - Coastal Brackish/Saline Lagoons/Marine Lakes [more info]
aquatic insects, clams, shrimps, seeds of pond weeds and bulrushes.
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Bateson, 1885
- Cuvier, 1812
- Jawed Vertebrates
- Goodrich, 1930
- Linnaeus, 1758
- Gauthier, 1986
- (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Pycraft, 1900
- Sibley et al., 1988
- Wagler, 1831
- Suborder: Anseres () - (C. Linnaeus, 1758) Wagler, 1831
- Order: Anseriformes () - Wagler, 1831
- Superorder: Galloanserimorphae () - Sibley et al., 1988
- Cohort: Neognathae () - Pycraft, 1900
- Infraclass: Aves () - (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Subclass: Avialae () - Gauthier, 1986
- Class: Aves () - Linnaeus, 1758
- Superclass: Tetrapoda () - Goodrich, 1930
- Infraphylum: Gnathostomata () - auct. - Jawed Vertebrates
- Subphylum: Vertebrata () - Cuvier, 1812 - Vertebrates
- Phylum: Chordata () - Bateson, 1885 - Chordates
- Infrakingdom: Chordonia () - (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Deuterostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 23-Jan-2007
Hooded Merganser, Ruddy Duck
Members of the genus Bucephala
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 5 species and subspecies in this genus:
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A Directory of Neotropical Wetlands. IUCN Conservation Monitoring Centre url p. 362, p. 363, p. 364, p. 378, p. 676.
- A check list of North American birds. Salem, Mass., F.W. Putnam, 1879. url p. 97.
- A check list of North-American birds by Elliott Coues. Salem, Mass.: F.W. Putnam, 1879. url .
- A directory of the ornithologists of the United States: comprising a list of the collectors and students of ornithology, with the valuations of their collections, number of species represented, &c., &c., supplemented by statistics of value and information S.L. Willard. Utica, N.Y.: The Oologist, 1877. url p. 56.
- A distributional list of the birds of Arizona / Hollywood, Calif.: Cooper Ornithological Club, 1914. url , .
- A history of British birds, with coloured illustrations of their eggs. By Henry Seebohm. London, Pub. for the author by R. H. Porter [etc.]1883-85. url p. 588.
- A history of the birds of Europe, not observed in the British Isles / by C. R. Bree. London: G. Bell & Sons, 1875-1876. url p. 166.
- A history of the birds of Europe: including all the species inhabiting the western palaearctic region / London: Published by the Author, 1871-1881. url p. 589, p. 704.
- A list of the birds of New England. Salem, Mass., Essex Institute Press, 1868. url .
- A naturalist in the Magdalen Islands: giving a description of the islands and a list of the birds taken there, with other ornithological notes / Boston: C.B. Cory, 1878 url .
- A naturalist's rambles about home. New York, Appleton, 1889. url p. 474.
- A preliminary catalog of the birds of Missouri / St. Louis: Academy of Science of St. Louis, 1907. url .
- A review of the birds of Connecticut / by C. Hart Merriam. New Haven, [Conn.]: Tuttle, Morehouse & Taylor, Printers, 1877. url p. 126, p. 146, p. 152.
- An authentic history of Lancaster County: in the state of Pennsylvania / by J.I. Mombert. Lancaster, Pa.: J.E. Barr & Co., 1869. url p. 515.
- An ecological characterization of Coastal Maine (north and east of Cape Elizabeth) / Stewart I. Fefer and Patricia S. Schettig: principal investigators. Newton Corner, Mass.: Department of the Interior, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Northeast Region, 1980. url .
- Anales de la Sociedad Española de Historia Natural. Madrid: La Sociedad, url p. 174.
- Annals of the Lyceum of Natural History of New York. New-York: 1824-1876. url p. 13, p. 414.
- Annual report of the Board of Regents of the Smithsonian Institution. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, -1965. url p. 149, p. 420, p. 438.
- Annual report of the Ohio State Academy of Science. Columbus: The Academy, 1893-1930. url p. 45.
- Annual report. United States Geological and Geographical Survey of the Territories. 1st-12th, 1867-1878. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1867-83. url p. 466, p. 715.
- Beached marine birds and mammals of the North American West Coast: a manual for their census and identification / by David G. Ainley. .. [et al.] Pt. Reyes Bird Observatory; with drawings by Helen C. Strong; performed for National Coastal Ecosystems Team, Office of Biological Services, Fish and Wildlife Service [Washington, D.C.]: For sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. G.P.O.,  url p. 191.
- Biologia centrali-americana: Aves / [London: R.H. Porter], 1879-1904. url .
- Birds / by Spencer Fullerton Baird; with the co-operation of John Cassin and George N. Lawrence. Washington, D.C., 1858. url p. 795, p. 797.
- Birds in Kansas / Max C. Thompson & Charles Ely. 1 Lawrence, Kan.: University of Kansas, Museum of Natural History: c1989- url p. 116, p. 396, p. x.
- Birds observed in the vicinity of Oakland, Cal. December 23, 1872 [by] E.W. Nelson of Chicago. Toledo, O., 1876 url p. 233.
- Birds of Massachusetts [by] J.A. Allen. [n.p.]1864-1886. url p. 134, p. 32.
- Birds of the Northwest: a hand-book of the ornithology of the region drained by the Missouri River and its tributaries / by Elliott Coues. Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1874. url p. 576, p. 577.
- Birds. Collected excerpts from v. 10 of Reports of explorations and surveys, to ascertain the most practicable and economical route for a railroad from the Mississippi River to the Pacific Ocean. [n. p., 19--?] url , .
- Brigham Young University science bulletin. 3 1963 Provo, Utah: Brigham Young University, [1955-1976] url p. 6.
- British birds. London, Witherby & Co. url p. 38, p. 67, p. 7.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url p. 108, p. 135, p. 243, p. 246, p. 267, p. 309, p. 33, p. 332, p. 50, p. 60, p. 62, p. 72.
- Bulletin / Illinois Natural History Survey. Urbana, State of Illinois, Dept. of Registration and Education, Natural History Survey Division, 1918-1985. url p. 232, p. 259.
- Bulletin / Peabody Museum of Natural History. 1972 New Haven: Peabody Museum of Natural History, url fig. 12, p. 331, p. 50.
- Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History). London: BM(NH) url p. 212.
- Bulletin of the British Ornithologists' Club. London: The Club, 1893- url .
- Bulletin of the Essex Institute. Salem, Mass., Essex Institute. url p. 13, p. 27, p. 38, p. 40.
- Bulletin of the Museum of Comparative Zoology at Harvard College. 94 1944 Cambridge, Mass.: The Museum, 1863- url p. 105, p. 106, p. 163, p. 364, p. 364, p. 399, p. 399, p. 404, p. 404.
- Bulletin of the Nuttall Ornithological Club. Cambridge, Mass.: The Club, [1876-1883] url p. 246, p. 33.
- Bulletin of the United States Geological and Geographical Survey of the Territories / Department of the Interior. Washington: Government Printing Office, 1874- url p. 444, p. 494, p. 973, p. 974.
- Bulletin. Salem, Mass. url p. 230, p. 27, p. 40.
- California fish and game. [San Francisco, etc.]: State of California, Resources Agency, Dept. of Fish and Game. url p. 133, p. 133, p. 159, p. 253, p. 255, p. 289, p. 318, p. 43, p. 92.
- Catalogue of North American birds, chiefly in the Museum of the Smithsonian Institution. Washington, Smithsonian Institution, 1859. url .
- Catalogue of birds of the Americas and the adjacent islands in Field Museum of Natural History. Charles E. Hellmayr, Boardman Conover. 13 1948 Chicago: Field Museum of Natural History, 1948. url p. 380.
- Catalogue of the Birds in the British Museum. London, 1874-98. url p. 387.
- Check-list of North American birds: the species of birds of North America from the Arctic through Panama, including the West Indies and Hawaiian Islands / prepared by the Committee on Classification and Nomenclature of the American Orni Lawrence, Kan.: American Ornithologists' Union, 1983. url p. 800, p. 93.
- Check-list of birds of the world. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1931-1987. url p. 177, p. 496.
- Classification of the collection to illustrate the animal resources of the United States. A list of substances derived from the animal kingdom, with synopsis of the useful and injurious animals and a classification to the methods of capture and utilization. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1876. url .
- Contributions to the natural history of the Bermudas. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1884. url p. 332.
- Directory of Wetlands of International Importance. IUCN url p. 718, p. 761.
- Elkhorn Slough Estuarine Sanctuary: proposed estuarine sanctuary grant award for Elkhorn Slough, Monterey County, California / Washington: U.S. Govt. Print. Off., 1979? url .
- FWS/0BS. [Washington]Fish and Wildlife Service, U.S. Dept. of the Interior. url , , , , p. 123, p. 135, p. 52.
- Fauna of the Aleutian Islands and Alaska Peninsula, by Olaus J. Murie. Invertebrates and fishes collected in the Aleutians, 1936-38, by Victor B. Scheffer. Washington, Dept. of the Interior, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, 1959 url , p. 88.
- Field and forest. [Washington: Columbia Press, 1875-1878]. url p. 80.
- Field ornithology comprising a manual of instruction for procuring, preparing and preserving birds and a check list of North American birds / by Elliott Coues. Boston: Estes & Lauriat, 1874. url .
- Field ornithology. Comprising a manual of instruction for procuring, preparing and preserving birds, and a check list of North American birds Salem [Mass.]Naturalists' Agency, 1874 url p. 97.
- Fish, wildlife and recreational values of Michigan's coastal wetlands / Twin Cities, Minn.: U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Region III, 1978. url p. 191.
- Fishery bulletin. United States Fish and Wildlife Service. Washington, The Service, U.S. Govt Print. Off. url p. 531.
- Fishery circular / U.S. Department of Commerce, Bureau of Fisheries. [Washington]: The Bureau, 1931-1939. url p. 51.
- "Forest and Stream" bird notes. An index and summary of all the ornithological matter contained in "Forest and Stream." Vols. I-XII. New York, Forest and Stream Publishing Co., 1881. url .
- "Forest and stream" bird notes. An index and summary of all the ornithological matter contained in "Forest and Stream." Vols. I-XII. Compiled by H.B. Bailey. New York, Forest and Stream, 1881. url p. 54.
- Great Basin naturalist memoirs. 1976 [Provo, Utah]Brigham Young University, 1976-1992. url p. 214.
- Guide to the birds of Europe and North Africa. With a biographical memoir by William Eagle Clarke. London, Gurney and Jackson, 1923. url p. 228.
- Ibis. [London]Published for the British Ornithologists' Union by Academic Press. url p. 285, p. 308, p. 394, p. 474, p. 486, p. 507.
- Illinois River Bluffs area assessment / Illinois Department of Natural Resources, Office of Scientific Research and Analysis, [and the] State Geological Survey Division. Springfield, Ill.: Illinois Dept. of Natural Resources, 1998- url p. 72.
- Manual of the vertebrates of the northern United States, including the district east of the Mississippi River, and north of North Carolina and Tennessee, exclusive of marine species. Chicago, Jansen, McClurg, 1880[c1878] url .
- Memoirs of the Museum of Comparative Zoölogy, at Harvard College, Cambridge, Mass. Cambridge [Mass.]: The Museum, 1876-1940. url p. 48, p. 523, p. 523.
- Memoirs of the San Diego Society of Natural History. 13 1984 San Diego, Calif.: The Society, 1931-1989. url p. 248, p. 268, p. 62.
- Michigan bird life, a list of all the bird species known to occur in the state together with an outline of their classification and an account of the life history of each species, wtih special reference to its relation t [Lansing]Michigan Agricultural College, 1912. url .
- Michigan bird life: a list of all the bird species known to occur in the State together with an outline of their classification and an account of the life history of each species, with special reference to its relation t by Walter Bradford Barrows. Lansing: Michigan Agricultural College, 1912. url p. 101, p. 798.
- Miscellaneous publication - University of Kansas, Museum of Natural History. 1960 Lawrence: University of Kansas, 1946-1996. url p. 1, p. 14.
- Natural history. A manual of zoölogy for schools, colleges, and the general reader / By Sanborn Tenney. New York: Scribner, Armstrong & co., c1872. url .
- North American fauna. Washington: Fish and Wildlife Service; for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U. S. Govt. Print. Off. url , , p. 28, p. 391, p. 391, p. 47, p. 88, p. 88, p. 96, p. 96.
- Occasional papers - San Diego Society of Natural History. 1959 San Diego, The Society. url p. 43, p. 9.
- Occasional papers of the Museum of Natural History, the University of Kansas. 1989 Lawrence, Kan.: The University, 1971-1994. url p. 38.
- Ornithological bibliography. [Washington: Geological Survey [etc.], 1878-1880. url p. 974.
- Ornithology and oo?logy of New England: containing full descriptions of the birds of New England, and adjoining states and provinces. .. by Edward A. Samuels. Boston, Nichols and Noyes, 1867. url p. 514.
- Ornithology and oölogy of New England: containing full descriptions of the birds of New England, and adjoining states and provinces. .. by Edward A. Samuels. Boston: Nichols and Noyes, 1867. url p. 514.
- Our northern and eastern birds containing descriptions of the birds of the northern and eastern states and British provinces, together with a history of their habits, times of arrival and departure, their distribution, food, song, by Edward A. Samuels. New York: R. Worthington, 1883. url .
- Our northern and eastern birds. Containing descriptions of the birds of the northern and eastern states and British provinces; together with a history of their habits, times of arrival and departure, their distribution, food, song, New York, R. Worthington, 1883. url .
- Our northern and eastern birds: containing descriptions of the birds of the northern and eastern states and British provinces; together with a history of their habits, times of arrival and departure, their distribution, food, song, by Edward A. Samuels; with a supplement from Holder's "American fauna." New York: R. Worthington, 1883. url p. 514, p. 598.
- P.D. Skaar's Montana bird distribution / revised by Susan Lenard. .. [et al.]. Helena: Montana Natural Heritage Program, 2003. url p. 31.
- Pacific coast avifauna / Cooper Ornithnological Club of California. Santa Clara, Calif.: The Club, 1900-1974. url p. 121, p. 121, p. 13, p. 13, p. 193, p. 20, p. 37, p. 82, p. 82.
- Part I. Palæontology. By F. B. Meek. Part II. Palæontology. By James Hall and R. P. Whitfield. Part III. Ornithology. By Robert Ridgway... Washington, Govt. print. off., 1877. url p. 626.
- Postilla. New Haven, Conn.: Peabody Museum of Natural History, [1950?]-c2004. url p. 7.
- Potential wildlife-highway interactions at select mile-markers along Montana Department of Transportation routes an ArcView GIS analysis / Bozeman, Mont.: Fish and Wildlife Management Program, Montana State University, 2001 url .
- Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia, Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia url p. 193, p. 356, p. 356, p. 37.
- Proceedings of the Boston Society of Natural History. Boston [etc.]Boston Society of Natural History. url p. 125, p. 130, p. 412.
- Proceedings of the California Academy of Sciences. San Francisco, The Academy. url p. 76.
- Proceedings of the Entomological Society of Washington. Washington, etc.: Entomological Society of Washington url p. 328.
- Proceedings of the Essex Institute. Salem: Essex Institute Press. url p. 230, p. 95.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. 1 1878 Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 171, p. 447, p. 562, p. 657.
- Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London. London: Academic Press, [etc.], 1833-1965. url p. 401, p. 401, p. 428, p. 428, p. 679, p. 679, p. 844.
- Proceedings. Salem, Mass.(1856-70) url p. 300.
- Proposed estuarine sanctuary grant award to the state of New York for a Hudson River estuarine sanctuary. Albany, N.Y.: New York, Dept. of Environmental Conservation,  url p. 120.
- Report of a reconnaissance from Carroll, Montana Territory, on the upper Missouri, to the Yellowstone National Park, and return, made in the summer of 1875 / Washington, D.C.: Govt. Print. Off., 1876. url , , p. 148, p. 89, p. 92.
- Report of the Geological Exploration of the Fortieth Parallel, made by order of the Secretary of War according to acts of Congress of March 2, 1867, and March 3, 1869 / Washington: Government Printing Office, 1870-1880. url p. 342, p. 390, p. 626, p. 653.
- Report of the Geological Survey of Ohio. Columbus, Nevins & Myers, state printers, 1873-93. url .
- Report of the Geological exploration of the fortieth parallel made by order of the Secretary of War according to acts of Congress of March 2, 1867, and March 3, 1869, under the direction of. .. A.A. Humphreys, chief of engineers, by Clarence King, U.S. geologist Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1870-80 url p. 342, p. 626.
- Report of the Secretary of the Smithsonian Institution and financial report of the Executive Committee of the Board of Regents for the year ending June 30. .. Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution, 1933-1965. url p. 146, p. 149, p. 150.
- Report of the United States Entomological Commission. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1878-90. url p. 282.
- Report of the geological exploration of the fortieth parallel / Washington, D.C.: G.P.O., 1870-80 url p. 342, p. 349, p. 390, p. 626, p. 653.
- Report upon United States Geographical Surveys West of the One Hundredth Meridian / Washington [D.C.]: G.P.O., 1875-1889. url p. 482.
- Results of the 1990 survey for Harlequin ducks (Histrionicus histrionicus) on the Kootenai National Forest, Montana and parts of the Lolo National Forest, Montana / submitted by Lisa Fairman and Gene Miller; a report to USDA Forest Service, Kootenai National Forest. Helena, Mont.: Montana Natural Heritage Program,  url p. 5.
- Revue méthodique et critique des collections déposées dans cet établissement. Leyden, Rijksmuseum van Natuurlijke Historie. url p. 22.
- Smithsonian miscellaneous collections. 2 1862 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1862-1968. url p. 16, p. 171, p. 32, p. 492, p. 6, p. 60.
- Special papers / Ohio Academy of Sciences. Columbus, Ohio: The Academy, 1899-1929. url p. 45.
- Special scientific report--wildlife / U.S. Department of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service. Washington, D.C.: The Service, 1949- url p. 4, p. 552, p. 574, p. 618, p. 626, p. 638, p. 644, p. 659, p. 669, p. 677, p. 7, p. 78.
- Syllogeus. Ottawa, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1972-1995. url p. 10.
- The Auk. Washington, D.C.: American Ornithologists' Union, etc., 1884- url p. 337, p. 395, p. 463, p. 465, p. 503.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url , title page, index , , p. 10, p. 110, p. 121, p. 137, p. 147, p. 150, p. 161, p. 173, p. 174, p. 175, p. 178, p. 183, p. 186, p. 196, p. 202, p. 205, p. 207, p. 208, p. 217, p. 22, p. 223, p. 234, p. 234, p. 235, p. 246, p. 258, p. 262, p. 27, p. 271, p. 281, p. 293, p. 3, p. 302, p. 317, p. 326, p. 338, p. 350, p. 358, p. 361, p. 366, p. 368, p. 370, p. 377, p. 378, p. 378, p. 384, p. 4, p. 402, p. 408, p. 423, p. 426, p. 427, p. 433, p. 434, p. 437, p. 460, p. 464, p. 490, p. 495, p. 511, p. 516, p. 525, p. 528, p. 55, p. 627, p. 64, p. 677, p. 684, p. 688, p. 700, p. 719, p. 729, p. 734, p. 738, p. 76, p. 762, p. 79, p. 9, p. 90.
- The Canadian journal of industry, science and art. Toronto: Canadian Institute, 1856-1867. url p. 343.
- The Canadian naturalist and geologist. Montreal: B. Dawson, 1856-1868. url p. 153, p. 238, p. 421.
- The Canadian naturalist and quarterly journal of science: with proceedings of the Natural History Society of Montreal. Montreal: Dawson, 1869-1883. url p. 300.
- The Great Basin naturalist. 57 1997 Provo, Utah: M.L. Bean Life Science Museum, Brigham Young University, 1939-1999. url p. 138, p. 314, p. 38, p. 478, p. 480, p. 520, p. 68.
- The Lancaster, farmer, a monthly journal: Lancaster, Pa., Wylie & Griest [etc., 1869]- url .
- The Marine Mammal Commission compendium of selected treaties, international agreements, and other relevant documents on marine resources, wildlife, and the environment / compiled by Richard L. Wallace. Washington, D.C.: The Commission; 1994 url p. 3127.
- The birds of Canada with descriptions of their habits, food, nests, eggs, times of arrival and departure / by Alexander Milton Ross. Toronto: H. Rowsell, 1871. url .
- The birds of Canada: with descriptions of their habits, food, nests, eggs, times of arrival and departure. Toronto, Rowsell, 1872. url p. 105, p. 135.
- The birds of New England / by Edward A. Samuels. Boston: Noyes, Holmes, 1870, c1867. url p. 514, p. 589.
- The birds of New England and adjacent states. ..: arranged by a long-approved classification and nomenclature. .. with illustrations of many species of the birds, and accurate figures of their eggs / by Edward A. Samuels; with an appendix containing supplementary notes. Boston: Lockwood, Brooks, 1880. url p. 514, p. 589.
- The birds of New Englandand adjacent states: containing descriptions of the birds of New England. .. together with a history of their habitats. ..; with illustrations of many species of the birds, and accurate figures of their eggs / by Edward A. Samuels. Boston: Noyes, Holmes, 1870 [c1867] url p. 589.
- The birds of Ohio; a revised catalogue, [Columbus?]Academy of Science, 1903. url .
- The birds of eastern North America: with original descriptions of all the species which occur east of the Mississippi River, between the Arctic circle and the Gulf of Mexico, with full notes upon their habits, etc. / by C. J. Maynard; Newtonville, Mass.: Maynard, 1881. url p. 453.
- The birds of the Chicago area / [Chicago, Jennings and Graham], 1907. url , .
- The birds of the Chicago area, by Frank Morley Woodruff. .. [Chicago, Printed by Jennings and Graham]1907. url p. 208, p. 44.
- The birds of the West Indies. Including all speciesknown to occur in the Bahama Islands, the Greater Antilles, the Caymans, and the Lesser Antilles, excepting the islands of Tobago and Trinidad. By Charles B. Cory. Boston, Estes & Lauriat, 1889. url p. 268.
- The ducks, geese and swans of North America, a vade mecum for the naturalist and the sportsman, Washington, D.C., American Wildlife Institute, 1943. url p. 273, p. 474.
- The ducks, geese, and swans of North America; a vade mecum for the naturalist and the sportsman, by Francis H. Kortright. Illus. by T. M. Shortt. Harrisburg, Pa.: Stackpole Co.;[1960, c1953] url , p. 273, p. 474.
- The ecology of Tijuana Estuary, California: a national estuarine research reserve / by Joy B. Zedler, Christopher S. Nordby and Barbara E. Kus. [Washington, D.C.: NOAA Office of Coastal Resource Management, Sanctuaries and Reserves Division], 1992. url p. 68.
- The ecology of delta marshes of coastal Louisiana: a community profile / by James G. Gosselink. Washington, DC: National Coastal Ecosystems Team, Division of Biological Services, Research Development, Fish and Wildlife Service, U.S. Dept. of the Interior: 1984. url p. 130.
- The effect of altered streamflow on migratory birds of the Yellowstone River Basin, Montana / by Tom Hinz. Helena: Water Resources Division, Montana Dept. of Natural Resources & Conservation, 1977. url p. 101.
- The game birds of California / Berkeley: University of California Press, 1918. url .
- The natural history of Washington territory, with much relating to Minnesota, Nebraska, Kansas, Oregon, and California, between the thirty-sixth and forty-ninth parallels of latitude, being those parts of the final reports on the survey of the N By J. G. Cooper, M. D., and Dr. G. Suckley. .. This edition contains a new preface, giving a sketch of the explorations, a classified table of contents, and the latest additions by the authors. With f London, Baillière brothers, 1859. url p. 259.
- The naturalist's guide in collecting and preserving objects of natural history: with a complete catalogue of the birds of Massachusetts / by C. J. Maynard. Newtonville, Ma.: C. J. Maynard and Company, 1881. url p. 166.
- The ornithology of Illinois / [by Robert Ridgway and S.A. Forbes]. Springfield, Ill., H.W. Rokker, printer, 1889-1895. url p. 170.
- The ornithology of Illinois. Part I. Descriptive catalogue. By Robert Ridgway. Part II. Economic ornithology. By S. A. Forbes. Pub. by the authority of the state Legislature. Springfield, Ill.: H. W. Rokker, printer, 1889-95. url p. 170, p. 170, p. 269.
- The published writings of George Newbold Lawrence, 1844-1891 / by L. S. Foster. Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1892. url p. 108, p. 50.
- The sportsman and naturalist in Canada, or Notes on the natural history of the game, game birds, and fish of that country. London, Hurst and Blackett, 1866. url .
- The water birds of North America. By S. F. Baird, T. M. Brewer and R. Ridgway. Issued in continuation of the publications of the Geological survey of California. J. D. Whitney, state geologist. Boston, Little, Brown, and Company, 1884. url p. 48.
- Transactions of the Academy of Science of St. Louis. [St. Louis: Academy of Science of St. Louis], 1860-1958. url p. 269, p. 269, p. 269, p. 40, p. 40, p. 40.
- Transactions of the Connecticut Academy of Arts and Sciences. New Haven: Published by the Academy, 1866- url p. 126, p. 126, p. 142, p. 142, p. 146, p. 146, p. 344.
- Transactions of the Kansas Academy of Science. Topeka, Kan.: Geo. W. Martin url p. 29.
- University of Kansas publications, Museum of Natural History. 8 1956 Lawrence, University of Kansas. url p. 316, p. 456.
- Washington State Coastal Zone Management Program amendment no. 3: approval of the Grays Harbor estuary management plan: program draft environmental impact statement. [Olympia, Wash.?]: Grays Harbor Regional Planning Commission; 1983. url p. 4.
- Zoologist. London.1843-1916 url p. 10, p. 1756, p. 485.
- BirdLife International 2009. Bucephala albeola. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloadedon 31January2012.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 10, 2012.
- IUCN 2012. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. . Downloaded on January 28, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal December 09, 2007:
- Avian Knowledge Network, eBird
- Bernice Pauahi Bishop Museum, Bishop Museum Natural History Specimen Data
- Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility, North West Territories and Nunavut Bird Checklist, Canada
- Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility, Ontario Nest Records
- Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility, Provincial Museum of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada. Birds
- Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility, Royal British Columbia Museum
- Marine Science Institute, UCSB, Paleobiology Database
- Museum of Vertebrate Zoology, Terrestrial vertebrate specimens
- New Brunswick Museum, NBM birds
- Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History, Santa Barbara Musem of Natural History
- UNIBIO, IBUNAM, CNAV/Coleccion Nacional de Aves
- University of Michigan Museum of Zoology
- , Bird specimens
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 3854430
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-175145
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 2481930
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 175145
- IUCN ID: 196222
- Natural Heritage Network Species Identifier: ABNJB18030
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 6869