Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Afrikaans:
Common Names in Arabic:
إوز أبيض الرأس
Common Names in Basque:
Common Names in Belarusian:
Common Names in Breton:
Garreli dremm wenn
Common Names in Bulgarian:
Common Names in Catalan, Valencian:
Oca de galta blanca
Common Names in Czech:
Common Names in Danish:
Common Names in Dutch:
Common Names in English:
Barnacle Goose, bar goose
Common Names in Esperanto:
Common Names in Estonian:
Common Names in Faroese:
Common Names in Finnish:
Common Names in French:
Common Names in Galician:
Common Names in German:
Nonnengans, Weisswangengans, Weißwangengans, Weißwangengans (Nonnengans)
Common Names in Hungarian:
Common Names in Icelandic:
Common Names in Irish:
Common Names in Italian:
Common Names in Japanese:
Common Names in Lithuanian:
Common Names in Northern Sami:
Common Names in Norwegian:
Common Names in Norwegian Nynorsk:
Common Names in Polish:
Common Names in Portuguese:
Ganso de faces brancas
Common Names in Russian:
Beloschokaya Kazarka, Белощекая казарка, Казарка белощекая
Common Names in Slovak:
Common Names in Spanish:
Common Names in Spanish, Castilian:
Common Names in Swedish:
Common Names in Turkish:
Ak yanaklı kaz
Common Names in Urdu:
Common Names in Welsh:
Adult : Face : Chin: white Eyebrow Line : white Forehead: white Lores : black Facial Skin : blackish Bill: blackish Neck: black Body: Back: bluish gray with narrow black and white bars Belly: scalloped pale gray Breast: black Sides: scalloped pale gray Underparts: white Legs : Femorals: scalloped pale gray Leg Color: blackish Tail: black.
Typically found in a lake at a mean distance from sea level of 343.16 meters (1,125.85 feet).
Behaviour This species is fully migratory and travels on a narrow
front2 between extremely localised
areas1. It is present on its breeding
from May or June to August or September2
where it breeds
in small but often closely packed colonies1,
3 of 5-50 pairs, occasionally singly or in groups of up
to 150 pairs6. It uses the same nesting sites year
after year4 and sometimes nests
among seabird colonies3.
After the young hatch
undergo a flightless moult period
near the breeding grounds
between mid-July and mid-August that lasts
for 3-4 weeks5. The species migrates to autumn
areas in September2 from which it travels
via regular stop-over sites3 to the wintering grounds,
arriving in late-September2. The return migration
begins in April or May, the species moving to spring
where it may be present for 20-30 days before migrating
The species is highly gregarious
outside of the breeding season
often feeding in dense concentrations on coastal grasslands during
the winter3. In winter habitats
it roosts on water3
or on sandbanks near saltmarshes and pastureland10.
Habitat Breeding The species breeds in Arctic
(fjellmark)2 on crags, rocky outcrops1,
, rocky slopes4 and coastal islands (Svalbard)2
near wetlands such as lakes
, marshes, the upper parts of
, coastlines4, wet meadows and mudflats2.
In years when the snow is slow to melt the species first forages
on grassy vegetation on south-facing mountain slopes
the droppings of cliff-nesting seabirds before moving down
areas2. It also returns to these slopes after the
moulting period before autumn migration2. After
the young hatch families may disperse away from rocky ground to more
vegetated areas surrounding tundra lakes and rivers2.
Non-breeding During the non-breeding season
the species frequents
, saltmarshes2, 4 and adjacent
meadows1, 4 (especially improvedrough pasturesand
arable land1, 2), with agricultural fields
increasingly more important as winter feeding areas5.
The species is herbivorous1 its diet
consisting of the leaves, stems and seed-heads of grasses, sedges,
plants1, 2, mosses2,
various herbs (especially white clover Trifolium repens in
the winter)8, 10 and shrubs
Salix arctica)4. It may also take agricultural
grain and vegetables during the winter1. Breeding
site The nest is a shallow depression
in a low mound of vegetation6
positioned on rocky ground1, 2, rocky outcrops4,
6, among rocky crags, on steep cliffs3, 4, 6,
on the tops of low hills4, or on low vegetation
hummocks and snow-free patches on islands in river channels6.
Nesting sites accumulate nesting materials
as they are often used
year after year4, and the species may sometimes
nest among seabird colonies3. Management
An investigation carried out in one of the species's wintering
areas (UK) found that it was most likely to forage on improved grasslands
with high abundances
of the grass
Lolium perenne and white
clover Trifolium repens8 (the growth of
which is greatly influenced by the amount of summer grazing, which
the grass height)10. Preferred fields
were between 4 and 10 ha in area (the species avoided fields of less
than 2-3 ha), and at an optimal distance
of less than 5 km
roosting sites (maximum 7 km away)8. The species
was also found to show a preference for grasslands with swards less
than 10 cm in height
(optimum 2 cm) in fields that had been cut
and then grazed (although there was no major difference in
on pastures grazed with different livestock)8.
Overall winter use of grassland fertilised with large amounts of
nitrogen was significantly greater than the use of unfertilised grassland
by the species8. The Barnacle Goose Management
Scheme (BGMS) in Scotland, UK recommends fertilising farmland adjacent
to reserves containing wintering groups of this species at times
when geese are present (e.g. autumn or winter) and grazing stock
(sheep or cattle) are absent9. The BGMS also awards
payments to farmers who manage pastures outside of established
for reducing the level of disturbance
(e.g. scaring away feeding
flocks) on their land9.
List of Habitats:
- 4 Grassland
- 4.1 Grassland - Tundra
- 12 Marine Intertidal
- 12.1 Marine Intertidal - Rocky Shoreline
- 12.4 Marine Intertidal - Mud Flats and Salt Flats
- 12.5 Marine Intertidal - Salt Marshes (Emergent Grasses)
- 12.6 Marine Intertidal - Tidepools
- 14 Artificial/Terrestrial
- 14.2 Artificial/Terrestrial - Pastureland
- Chatton, 1925
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Grobben, 1908
- Bateson, 1885
- Cuvier, 1812
- Jawed Vertebrates
- Zittel, 1879
- Jawed Vertebrates
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- Gadow, 1893
- (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Pycraft, 1900
- Sibley et al., 1988
- Wagler, 1831
- (C. Linnaeus, 1758) Wagler, 1831
- Infraorder: Anserides () - (C. Linnaeus, 1758) Wagler, 1831
- Suborder: Anseres () - (C. Linnaeus, 1758) Wagler, 1831
- Order: Anseriformes () - Wagler, 1831
- Superorder: Galloanserimorphae () - Sibley et al., 1988
- Cohort: Neognathae () - Pycraft, 1900
- Infraclass: Aves () - (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Subclass: Neornithes () - Gadow, 1893
- Class: Aves () - C. Linnaeus, 1758
- Superclass: Gnathostomata () - Zittel, 1879 - Jawed Vertebrates
- Infraphylum: Gnathostomata () - auct. - Jawed Vertebrates
- Subphylum: Vertebrata () - Cuvier, 1812 - Vertebrates
- Phylum: Chordata () - Bateson, 1885 - Chordates
- Superphylum: Deuterostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Infrakingdom: Chordonia () - (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Deuterostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - Animals
Branta leucopsis (Bechstein, 1803)
Members of the genus Branta
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 27 species and subspecies in this genus:
B. bernicla (Brant Goose) · B. bernicla bernicla (Brant (Dark-Bellied)) · B. bernicla hrota (Brant (Atlantic)) · B. bernicla nigricans (Brant (Black)) · B. canadensis (Canada Goose) · B. canadensis canadensis (Canada Goose (Canadensis/interior)) · B. canadensis fulva (Canada Goose) · B. canadensis hutchinsii (Canada Goose) · B. canadensis interior (Canada Goose) · B. canadensis leucopareia (Aleutian Canada Goose) · B. canadensis maxima (Canada Goose) · B. canadensis maxima or interior (Canada Goose) · B. canadensis minima (Cackling Canada Goose) · B. canadensis moffitti (Canada Goose (Moffitti/maxima)) · B. canadensis occidentalis (Canada Goose (Occidentalis/fulva)) · B. canadensis parvipes (Canada Goose (Parvipes)) · B. canadensis taverneri (Canada Goose) · B. hrota (Pale Bellied Brent Goose) · B. hutchinsii (Cackling Goose) · B. hutchinsii hutchinsii (Cackling Goose (Richardson's)) · B. hutchinsii leucopareia (Aleutian Cackling Goose) · B. hutchinsii minima (Small Cackling Goose) · B. hutchinsii taverneri (Tavrner's Cackling Goose) · B. leucopsis (Barnacle Goose) · B. nigricans (Black Brant) · B. ruficollis (Red-Breasted Goose) · B. sandvicensis (Hawaiian Goose)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A List of British birds / London: British Ornithologists' Union, 1915. url .
- A biological investigation of the Hudson Bay region. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1902. url .
- A catalogue of Canadian birds with notes on the distribution of the species / by Montague Chamberlain. Saint John, N.B.: J. McMillan, 1887. url p. 30.
- A catalogue of Canadian birds, By Montague Chamberlain. Saint John, N.B., J. & A. McMillan, 1887. url p. 30, p. 30.
- A catalogue of Canadian birds: with notes on the distribution of the species / Saint John, N.B.: J. & A. McMillan, 1887. url .
- A check list of North American birds. Salem, Mass., F.W. Putnam, 1879. url p. 93.
- A dictionary of birds, by Alfred Newton, assisted by Hans Gadow, with contributions from Richard Lydekker. .. Charles S. Roy. .. and Robert W. Shufeldt. .. London, A. and C. Black, 1893-1896. url p. 375, p. 375.
- A hand-book to the birds of Great Britain / by R. Bowdler Sharpe. London: E. Lloyd, 1896-1897. url p. 237.
- A hand-list of British birds, with an account of the distribution of each species in the British Isles and abroad. By Ernst Hartert, F. C. R. Jourdain, N. F. Ticehurst and H. F. Withersby. London, Witherby, 1912. url p. 132.
- A history of British birds, with coloured illustrations of their eggs. By Henry Seebohm. .. London, Pub. for the author by R.H. Porter [etc.]1883-85. url p. 512.
- A history of the birds of Europe: including all the species inhabiting the western palaearctic region / London: Published by the Author, 1871-1881. url p. 397.
- A history of the game birds, wild fowl and shore birds of Massachusetts and adjacent states, including those used for food which have disappeared since the settlement of the country, and those which are now hunted for food or sport, with observations on their former abundance and recent decre By Edward Howe Forbush. Boston, Wright & Potter Printing Company, State Printers, 1916 url p. 193.
- A history of the game birds, wild-fowl and shore birds of Massachusetts and adjacent states: including those used for food which have disappeared since the settlement of the country, and those which are now hunted for food or sport, with observations on their former abundance and recent decre Boston: Wright & Potter printing company, state printers, 1912. url p. 193, p. 193.
- A list of British birds, comp. by a committee of the British ornithologists' union. London: British ornithologists' union, 1915. url , p. 163.
- A list of the birds of eastern North America / by Charles B. Cory. Boston: For sale by B. Whidden, 1896. url p. 12.
- A manual of North American birds by Robert Ridgway. Philadelphia: J.B. Lippincott, 1887. url , .
- A manual of North American birds. By Robert Ridgway. Illustrated by 464 outline drawings of the generic characters. Philadelphia, J. B. Lippincott company, 1896. url p. 116.
- A manual of North American birds. Philadelphia: J.B. Lippincott Co., 1900. url p. 116.
- A manual of palæarctic birds, by H. E. Dresser. London, The author, 1902-03. url p. 596.
- A monograph of the seal-islands of Alaska. By Henry W. Elliott. Reprinted, with additions, from the report on the fishery industries of the tenth census. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1882. url p. 136, p. 136.
- A pocket list of the birds of eastern Massachusetts, with especial reference to Essex County, by Albert P. Morse. .. Salem, Mass., Peabody academy of science, 1912. url p. 26.
- A preliminary list of the birds found in Vermont / by George H. Perkins; assisted by Clifton D. Howe. Albany: Wynkoop Hallenbeck Crawford Co., 1901. url .
- A review of the birds of Connecticut / by C. Hart Merriam. New Haven, [Conn.]: Tuttle, Morehouse & Taylor, Printers, 1877. url p. 146.
- Abstract of the proceedings of the Linnaean Society of New York City, for the official year. . [New York]: The Society, [1889-1932] url p. 12, p. 16.
- Acta Societatis pro Fauna et Flora Fennica. 47 1920 Helsinki: Societas, 1875-1980. url p. 131, p. 170, p. 35.
- American duck shooting, by George Bird Grinnell. .. with fifty-eight portraits of North American swans, geese and ducks by Edwin Sheppard and numerous vignettes in the text by Wilmot Townsend. New York, Forest and stream pub. co. url p. 618, p. 65.
- Analysis and Synthesis of National Reports. Prepared by UNEP and CMS Secretariat CMS url p. 22, p. 25.
- Annual report / Albany: University of the State of New York, 1902-1918. url p. 235, p. 83.
- Annual report of the Board of Regents of the Smithsonian Institution. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, -1965. url p. 101, p. 72, p. 74, p. 78, p. 78, p. 85, p. 87, p. 88, p. 91, p. 94, p. 94, p. 94, p. 96, p. 97, p. 98, p. 98.
- Annual report of the New York Zoological Society. New York: The Society, 1897- url p. 153, p. 153.
- Annual report of the Regents / Albany: J.B. Lyon, State Printer, 1890-1903. url p. 243.
- Ardea. Amsterdam, etc., Nederlandse Ornithlogische Unie, etc. url p. 136, p. 137, p. 140, p. 4, p. 72.
- Biosphere Reserves, Compilation 4, October 1986: programme on man and the biosphere (MAB) IUCN Conservation Monitoring Centre url p. 163, p. 431.
- Bird notes. Brighton: Foreign Bird Club: 1902-1925. url p. 227, p. 284.
- Birds of Labrador / Boston: Boston Society of Natural History, 1907. url .
- Birds of Labrador / by Charles W. Townsend and Glover M. Allen. Boston: Printed for the Society, 1907. url p. 343.
- Birds of Massachusetts [by] J.A. Allen. [n.p.]1864-1886. url p. 141, p. 160.
- Birds of Massachusetts and other New England states / [Norwood, Ma.: Printed by Berwick and Smith Company], 1925-1929 url , p. 301.
- Birds of New York / by Elon Howard Eaton. Albany: University of the State of New York, 1910-1914. url p. 235.
- Birds of New York, by Elon Howard Eaton. .. Albany, University of the State of New York, 1910-14. url p. 235.
- Birds of North Carolina, by T. Gilbert Pearson, C. S. Brimley and H. H. Brimley. Raleigh, Edwards & Broughton printing co., state printers, 1919. url p. 91.
- Birds of eastern North America, Garden City, N. Y., Doubleday, Page & Company, 1912. url .
- Birds of the Chukchi Peninsula and Wrangel Island = (Ptitsy Chukotskogo poluostrova i ostrova Vrangelya) / L.A. Portenko; translated from Russian [by P.M. Rao]. New Delhi: Published for the Smithsonian Institution and the National Science Foundation, Washington, D.C., by Amerind Pub. Co., 1981- url p. 310.
- Birds of the New York city region, by Ludlow Griscom, assistant curator of ornithology, with the cooperation of the Linnæan society of New York. .. New York, The Museum, 1923. url p. 121.
- British birds. London, Witherby & Co. url p. 181, p. 19, p. 19, p. 240, p. 328.
- British birds: descriptions of all the commoner species, their nests, and eggs / by F.B. Kirkman; illustrations by A.W. Seaby. London: Dodge Pub. Co.,  url p. 78.
- Bulletin - New York State Museum. Albany: New York State Education Dept. url p. 243.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url , p. 108, p. 110, p. 258, p. 395, p. 396, p. 398, p. 55, p. 94, p. 96.
- Bulletin / Peabody Museum of Natural History. 1934 New Haven: Peabody Museum of Natural History, url p. 3.
- Bulletin / U.S. Department of Agriculture, Biological Survey. Washington: G.P.O., 1904-1907. url p. 16, p. 82.
- Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History). London: The Museum, 1950-1977. url p. 198.
- Bulletin of the British Ornithologists' Club. London: The Club, 1893- url , , p. 40, p. 5, p. 56, p. 6.
- Bulletin of the Essex Institute. Salem, Mass., Essex Institute. url p. 34.
- Bulletin of the Museum of Comparative Zoology at Harvard College. 102 1949 Cambridge, Mass.: The Museum, 1863- url p. 71.
- Bulletin. Salem, Mass. url p. 34.
- Catalogue of Canadian birds / by John Macoun and James M. Macoun. Ottawa: Canada Dept. of Mines, Geological Survey Branch, 1909. url p. 131.
- Catalogue of Canadian birds, Ottawa, Government Printing Bureau, 1909. url .
- Catalogue of Canadian birds. .. Ottawa, Printed by S. E. Dawson, 1900-04. url .
- Catalogue of birds of the Americas and the adjacent islands in Field Museum of Natural History. Charles E. Hellmayr, Boardman Conover. 13 1948 Chicago: Field Museum of Natural History, 1948. url p. 296.
- Catalogue of scientific papers (1800-1900) Comp. by the Royal society of London. Cambridge, C. J. Clay and sons, 1867-1902; url p. 166.
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. Compiled by the Royal Society of London. London, C.J. Clay and Sons, 1867-1902 [etc.] Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1914-25. url p. 166.
- Catalogue of the Birds in the British Museum. London, 1874-98. url p. 117, p. 119.
- Catalogue of the Collection of Birds' Eggs in the British Museum / By E. W. Oates [and afterwards] by S. G. Reid [and] W. R. Ogilvie-Grant. London, 1901-12. url p. 152.
- Catalogue of the collection of birds' eggs in the British museum (Natural history). London: Printed by order of the Trustees, 1901-12. url p. 152.
- Check list of New York birds, Albany, University of the State of New York, 1900. url .
- Check list of New York birds, by Marcus S. Farr. Albany: University of the State of New York, 1900. url p. 243.
- Check-list and bibliography on the occurrence of insects in birds' nests. Ames, Iowa State College Press url p. 313, p. 314, p. 352.
- Check-list of North American birds / prepared by a committee of the American ornithologists' union. Lancaster, Pa.: The Union, 1931. url p. 39.
- Check-list of North American birds, New York, American ornithologists' union, 1910. url .
- Check-list of North American birds. [Ithaca, N.Y.]1957. url p. 64.
- Check-list of North American birds: the species of birds of North America from the Arctic through Panama, including the West Indies and Hawaiian Islands / prepared by the Committee on Classification and Nomenclature of the American Orni Lawrence, Kan.: American Ornithologists' Union, 1983. url p. 69, p. 800.
- Check-list of birds of the world. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1931-1987. url p. 150, p. 444.
- Checklists for the CORINE Biotopes Programme and its application in the PHARE countries of Central and East Europe: including comparisons with relevant conventions and agreements on the conservation of European species and habitats EC url p. 9, p. 99.
- Directory of Wetlands of International Importance. IUCN url p. 167, p. 173, p. 194, p. 227, p. 229, p. 341, p. 458, p. 496, p. 497, p. 498, p. 499, p. 584, p. 589, p. 605, p. 630, p. 696, p. 704, p. 706, p. 761.
- Diseases and enemies of poultry / by Leonard Pearson and B.H. Warren. [Harrisburg, Pa.]: C.M. Busch, 1897. url p. 606.
- Diseases and enemies of poultry. Pearson & Warren. Harrisburg, C.M. Busch, state printer, 1897 url p. 606.
- Diseases of poultry part 1 / by Leonard Pearson. Enemies of poultry: part 2 / by B.H. Warren. Harrisburg, Pa.: C.M. Busch, state printer, 1897. url .
- Distribution and migration of North American ducks, geese, and swans / Washington: G.P.O., 1906. url .
- FWS/0BS. [Washington]Fish and Wildlife Service, U.S. Dept. of the Interior. url , p. 114, p. 115, p. 116, p. 118.
- Fauna of New England, 11: list of the aves / by Glover M. Allen. Boston: Society of Natural History, 1909. url p. 51.
- Fauna of New England. List of the Araneida. Boston, For Society, 1908. url .
- Fauna of New England. by Glover M. Allen. Boston: Society of Natural History, 1909. url p. 51.
- Field ornithology comprising a manual of instruction for procuring, preparing and preserving birds and a check list of North American birds / by Elliott Coues. Boston: Estes & Lauriat, 1874. url .
- Field ornithology. Comprising a manual of instruction for procuring, preparing and preserving birds, and a check list of North American birds Salem [Mass.]Naturalists' Agency, 1874 url p. 93.
- Fleas, flukes & cuckoos; a study of bird parasites, by Miriam Rothschild and Theresa Clay. New York, Macmillan, 1957. url p. 303.
- Food habits of some Arctic birds and mammals / by Clarence Cottam and Harold C. Hanson. 20 1938 Chicago, ILL: Field Museum of Natural History, c1938. url p. 409.
- "Forest and stream" bird notes. An index and summary of all the ornithological matter contained in "Forest and Stream." Vols. I-XII. Compiled by H.B. Bailey. New York, Forest and Stream, 1881. url p. 14, p. 69.
- Game, shore, and water birds of India, with additional references to their allied species in other parts of the world. London, W. Thacker, 1904. url .
- General function of the gall bladder from the evolutionary standpoint, by Frank W. Gorham and Andrew Conway Ivy. 22 1938 Chicago, 1938. url p. 183.
- Guide to taxidermy, by Chas. K. Reed and Chester A. Reed. Illustrated by drawings and photographs of mounted specimens by the authors and Mr. N. F. Stone. Worcester, Mass., C.K. Reed, 1914. url p. 246.
- Guide to the Gallery of Birds in the Department of Zoology, British Museum (Natural History). London: Printed by order of the Trustees, 1921. url p. 66.
- Guide to the birds of Europe and North Africa. With a biographical memoir by William Eagle Clarke. London, Gurney and Jackson, 1923. url p. 217.
- Guide to the gallery of birds in the department of zoology, British Museum (Natural History) London: Printed by order of the Trustees, 1921. url p. 66.
- Hand-book to the birds of Great Britain. London, Allen, 1894-97. url p. 236.
- Handbook of birds of eastern North America; with introductory chapters on the study of birds in nature, London, D. Appleton and Company, 1912. url .
- How to know the ducks, geese and swans of North America, all the species being grouped according to size and color. Boston, For sale by Little, Brown & Co.,  url , .
- Ibis. [London]Published for the British Ornithologists' Union by Academic Press. url p. 165, p. 266, p. 631, p. 647, p. 667, p. 758, p. 790.
- Late Pleistocene vertebrates from archaeological sites in the Plain of Kom Ombo, Upper Egypt / [Toronto: Royal Ontario Museum], 1972. url p. 33.
- Life histories of North American wild fowl: order Anseres (part) / by Arthur Cleveland Bent. Washington: G.P.O., 1923. url , , p. 258.
- MAB Biosphere Reserves: Site Descriptions, post compilation 5 (October 1990) UNESCO MAB Programme url .
- Meddelelser om Grønland. København, C. A. Reitzels Forlag, 1879-1979. url p. 123.
- Memoirs and proceedings of the Manchester Literary & Philosophical Society. Manchester: The Society, 1888-1980. url p. 16.
- Memoirs of the Museum of Comparative Zoölogy, at Harvard College, Cambridge, Mass. 12 1884 Cambridge [Mass.]: The Museum, 1876-1940. url p. 474.
- Memoirs of the Nuttall Ornithological Club. Cambridge, Mass.: The Club, 1886- url p. 150, p. 65.
- Museum bulletin / Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1908-1916. url p. 50, p. 83.
- Names and portraits of birds which interest gunners, with descriptions in languages understanded of the people; New York, Harper,  url .
- Natural history. New York: American Museum of Natural History. url p. 143.
- Naturalist's guide to the Americas, prepared by the Committee on the Preservation of Natural Conditions of the Ecological Society of America, with assistance from numerous organizations and individuals, assembled and edited by chairman, Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins, 1926. url p. 746, p. 746.
- Nature. London, Macmillan. url p. 152.
- Nests and eggs of North American birds: with a chapter on ornithological and oölogical collecting (the preparation of skins, nests and eggs for the cabinet). Toronto: Musson url p. 101.
- North American birds eggs. New York: Dover Pub, . url p. 87.
- North American fauna. Washington: Fish and Wildlife Service; for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U. S. Govt. Print. Off. url p. 91.
- Ootheca Wolleyana: an illustrated catalogue of the collection of birds' eggs, begun by the late John Wolley, jun.. .. and continued with additions, by the editor, Alfred Newton. .. London, sold by R. H. Porter, 1864-1907. url p. 525, p. 526.
- Ornamental waterfowl: a practical manual on the acclimatization of the swimming birds. .. Walsall, W. H. Robinson, 1907. url .
- Patterns in biodiversity in Arctic birds. WCMC Biodiversity Bulletin No. 3 WCMC url p. 13, p. 15, p. 4.
- Proceedings and transactions of the Nova Scotian Institute of Natural Science. Halifax: Nova Scotian Institute of Natural Science. url p. 139.
- Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London. London: Academic Press, [etc.], 1833-1965. url p. 422, p. 680.
- Publications in zoology = Publications en zoologie. Ottawa: National Museums of Canada, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1970-1982. url p. 36.
- Remarks on the Ornithology of Northern Norway / by Robert Collett. Christiania: [s.n.], 1872. url p. 4, p. 93.
- Report of the Secretary of the Smithsonian Institution and financial report of the Executive Committee of the Board of Regents for the year ending June 30. .. Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution, 1933-1965. url p. 70, p. 80, p. 85, p. 94.
- Sketch-book of British birds / by R. Bowdler Sharpe; with coloured illustrations by A.F. and C. Lydon. London: Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge, 1898. url p. 246.
- Special scientific report--wildlife / U.S. Department of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service. Washington, D.C.: The Service, 1949- url p. 257, p. 30, p. 489, p. 527, p. 575, p. 581, p. 599, p. 638.
- Studies in bird migration, London, Gurney and Jackson; [etc., etc.]1912. url , , , .
- Studies in bird migration, by William Eagle Clarke. .. with maps, weather charts, and other illustrations. .. London, Gurney and Jackson; [etc., etc.]1912. url p. 158, p. 278, p. 330.
- Supplement to the birds of Essex County, Massachusetts / Cambridge, Mass.: The Club, 1920. url .
- Syllogeus. Ottawa, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1972-1995. url p. 9.
- The American oologists' exchange price list of North American birds' eggs, 1922 / compiled by a committee of twenty-five prominent American oologists. Lacon, Ill.: R. Magoon Barnes, 1922. url p. 49.
- The Auk. Washington, D.C.: American Ornithologists' Union, etc., 1884- url p. 178, p. 385.
- The British nature book; a complete handbook and guide to British nature study, embracing the mammals, birds, reptiles, fish, insects, plants, etc., in the United Kingdom, by S.N. Sedgwick. .. Edinburgh, T.C. & E.C. Jack, Ltd., 1922. url p. 64.
- The Canadian bird book: illustrating in natural colors more than seven hundred north American birds, also several hundred photographs of their nests and eggs / by Chester A. Reed. Toronto: Musson Book Co., c1914. url p. 112.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. 62 1948 Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url rand , p. 102, p. 175, p. 193, p. 197, p. 226, p. 286, p. 291, p. 440, p. 55.
- The Journal of the Museum of Comparative Oology. Santa Barbara, Calif.: The Museum, 1919-1922 url p. 28.
- The Marine Mammal Commission compendium of selected treaties, international agreements, and other relevant documents on marine resources, wildlife, and the environment / compiled by Richard L. Wallace. Washington, D.C.: The Commission; 1994 url p. 688.
- The Oo?logist for the student of birds, their nests and eggs. Albion, N.Y.: Frank H. Lattin, 1886- url p. 18, p. 32.
- The Scottish naturalist. Arbroath [etc.]T. Buncle & Co. [etc.] url , p. 131, p. 150, p. 186, p. 197, p. 213, p. 69.
- The Warbler. Floral Park: Mayflower Pub. Co., [1903-1913] url p. 73.
- The bird book, illustrating in natural colors more than seven hundred North American birds, also several hundred photographs of their nests and eggs, Worcester, Mass., C. K. Reed, 1914. url .
- The bird book: illustrating in natural colors more than seven hundred North American birds, also several hundred photographs of their nests and eggs / by Chester A. Reed, S.B. Worcester, Mass.: C. K. Reed, 1914. url p. 112.
- The birds of Britain: their distribution and habits / Cambridge [England]: Cambridge University Press, 1916. url , .
- The birds of Essex County, Massachusetts. By Charles Wendell Townsend, M.D. Cambridge, Mass.: The Club, 1905. url p. 150.
- The birds of Greenland. Boston, Little, Brown and Company[c1891] url , , p. 42.
- The birds of Massachusetts, Cambridge, Mass., 1901. url .
- The birds of Massachusetts, by Reginald Heber Howe and Glover Morrill Allen. Cambridge, Mass., 1901. url p. 50, p. 50.
- The birds of North America: one hundred and nineteen artistic colored plates representing the different species and varieties drawn and colored from nature: including a copious text giving a popular account of their habits and 1903 New York: Published under the auspices of the Natural Science Association of America, 1903. url p. 181.
- The birds of eastern North America known to occur east of the nineteenth meridian. .. By Charles B. Cory. Boston, Bay State Pub. Co., 1900, c1899. url p. 338.
- The birds of eastern North America: known to occur east of the ninetieth meridian / by Charles B. Cory. Chicago: Field Columbian Museum, 1899. url p. 338.
- The code of nomenclature and check-list of North American birds adopted by the American Ornithologists' Union; being the report of the Committee of the Union on Classification and Nomenclature. New York, 1886. url p. 128, p. 128, p. 128.
- The ducks, geese and swans of North America, a vade mecum for the naturalist and the sportsman, Washington, D.C., American Wildlife Institute, 1943. url p. 19.
- The ducks, geese, and swans of North America; a vade mecum for the naturalist and the sportsman, by Francis H. Kortright. Illus. by T. M. Shortt. Harrisburg, Pa.: Stackpole Co.;[1960, c1953] url , p. 110, p. 19.
- The faunal connections between Europe and North America. New York, Wiley url p. 327.
- The game birds and wild fowl of the British Islands. Sheffield, Pawson & Brailsford, 1900. url , .
- The natural history of the USSR / Algirdas Knystautas; foreword by Vladimir Flint; [translation, John S. Scott]. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1987. url p. 200.
- The seal-islands of Alaska / by Henry W. Elliott. Washington: G.P.O., 1881. url p. 136, p. 136.
- The seal-islands of Alaska. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1881. url p. 136.
- The sportsman's gazetteer and general guide. The game animals, birds and fishes of North America: their habits and various methods of capture. Copious instructions in shooting, fishing, taxidermy, woodcraft, etc. Together with a glossary, and a New York, Orange Judd Companyu, 1883. url .
- The standard catalogue of North American birds eggs. Albion, N.Y., F.H. Lattin, 1892. url p. 12.
- The water birds of North America by S.F. Baird, T. M. Brewer, and R. Ridgway. Boston: Little, Brown, 1884. url .
- The water-fowl family / by L. C. Sanford, L. B. Bishop and T. S. Van Dyke. New York: Macmillan, 1903. url p. 250, p. 583.
- The water-fowl family, London, Macmillan and Co., Ltd., 1903. url , , p. 250, p. 250, p. 583, p. 583, p. 583.
- The wild fowl of the United States and British possessions: or, The swan, geese, ducks, and mergansers of North America. .. / by Daniel Giraud Elliot. London: Suckling, 1898. url p. 305.
- Transactions of the Connecticut Academy of Arts and Sciences. New Haven: Published by the Academy, 1866- url p. 121, p. 146, p. 146.
- Transactions of the Entomological Society of London. London, The Society. url p. 253.
- Visitors' guide to the local collection of birds in the American Museum of Natural History, New York City: with an annotated list of the birds known to occur within fifty miles of New York City / by Frank M. Chapman. New York: Printed for the Museum, 1894. url p. 27.
- Water Birds on the Edge: first circumpolar assessment of climate chage impact of Arctic breeding water birds. WCMC Biodiversity Series 11 UNEP-WCMC url p. 17, p. 8.
- Wildbirds of New York / by Chester A. Reed. Mohonk Lake, N.Y.: Mohonk Salesrooms, c1912. url p. 48.
- Zoology for high schools and colleges / New York: H. Holt and Company, 1895. url .
- Zoology. New YorkHolt1892 url p. 218.
- BirdLife International 2009. Branta leucopsis. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloadedon 30January2012.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 9, 2012.
- IUCN 2012. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. . Downloaded on January 28, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 12, 2007:
- Avian Knowledge Network, Great Backyard Bird Count
- Avian Knowledge Network, Project FeederWatch
- Avian Knowledge Network, eBird
- Bernice Pauahi Bishop Museum, Bishop Museum Natural History Specimen Data
- Biologiezentrum der Oberoesterreichischen Landesmuseen, Biologiezentrum Linz
- Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility, Provincial Museum of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada. Birds
- Canadian Museum of Nature, Canadian Museum of Nature Bird Collection
- European Environment Agency, EUNIS
- GBIF-Sweden, Bird Ringing Centre in Sweden
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University, Bay of Fundy Species List
- Institute of Nature Conservation PAS, National System of Proetcted Areas
- Museum of Vertebrate Zoology, Terrestrial vertebrate specimens
- New Brunswick Museum, NBM birds
- UK National Biodiversity Network, Scottish Borders Biological Records Centre - SWT Scottish Borders Local Wildlife Site Survey data 1996-2000 - species information
- Upper Silesian Museum, Bytom, Upper Silesian Museum, Bird Observations
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 11645
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-175014
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 2490700
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 175014
- IUCN ID: 195935
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 132783
- Standard Deviation = 184.500 based on 313 observations. Altitude information for each observation from British Oceanographic Data Centre. [back]
- BirdLife International 2009. Branta leucopsis. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloaded on 30 January 2012. [back]