Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Danish:
Common Names in English:
Arrow-tooth flounder, Arrowtooth Eel, arrowtooth flounder, Long-jaw flounder, Turbot
Common Names in French:
Faux, Faux Fl, Faux flétan du Pacifique
Common Names in Mandarin Chinese:
Common Names in Polish:
Common Names in Portuguese:
Common Names in Salish:
Common Names in Spanish:
Halibut del Pacífico
Found on soft bottoms .
Typically found in water with a depth of 0 to -6,012 meters (0 to -19,724 feet).
Biome: Marine .
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Bateson, 1885
- Cuvier, 1812
- Jawed Vertebrates
- Huxley, 1880
- Cohort: Clupeocephala ()
- Infraclass: Actinopteri ()
- Subclass: Actinopterygii ()
- Superclass: Osteichthyes () - Huxley, 1880
- Infraphylum: Gnathostomata () - auct. - Jawed Vertebrates
- Subphylum: Vertebrata () - Cuvier, 1812 - Vertebrates
- Phylum: Chordata () - Bateson, 1885 - Chordates
- Infrakingdom: Chordonia () - (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Deuterostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Atheresthes stomias • Eopsetta exilis (non Jordan & Gilbert • Eopsetta exilis (Non Jordan & Gilbert • Platysomatichthys stomias Jordan & Gilbert • Reinhardtius stomias (Jordan & Gilbert
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: Data last modified by FishBase 28-Aug-2003
Members of the genus Atheresthes
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 2 species and subspecies in this genus:
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A catalogue of the fishes known to inhabit the waters of North America, north of the Tropic of Cancer, with notes on the species discovered in 1883 and 1884, by David Starr Jordan. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1885. url p. 133.
- A guide to the study of fishes, New York, H. Holt, 1905. url .
- A guide to the study of fishes, by David Starr Jordan. .. New York, H. Holt and Company, 1905. url p. 491.
- A list of common and scientific names of fishes from the United States and Canada. Report presented at the eighty-ninth annual meeting, Clearwater, Fla., Sept. 16-18, 1959. Ann Arbor, Mich., 1960. url p. 47.
- A systematic monograph of the flatfishes (Heterosomata) / By J.R. Norman, &c. London, 1934. url p. 287.
- American fishes; a popular treatise upon the game and food fishes of North America, with especial reference to habits and methods of capture, Boston, L. C. Page[c1903]. url , .
- American food and game fishes. A popular account of all the species found in America north of the equator, with keys for ready identification, life histories and methods of capture, . by David Starr Jordan...and Barton Warren Evermann...illustrated with colored plates and text drawings, and with photographs from life, by A. Radclyffe Dugmore. Garden City, N.Y., Doubleday, Page & Co., 1908. url p. 522, p. 548.
- American food and game fishes: A popular account of all the species found in America north of the equator, with keys of ready identification, life histories and methods of capture New York: Doubleday, Page & co., 1902. url , .
- American food and game fishes: a popular account of all the species found in America, north of the equator, with keys for ready identification, life histories and methods of capture, by David Starr Jordan and Barton Warren Evermann; with photos. from life by A. Radclyffe Dugmore. New York: Doubleday, Page, 1908, c1902. url p. 522, p. 548.
- Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences. New York, New York Academy of Sciences. url p. 358.
- Annual report of the Bureau of American Ethnology to the Secretary of the Smithsonian Institution. Washington: U. S. Govt. Print. Off., 1897- url p. 1409.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url , p. 2603, p. 2609, p. 820.
- Bulletin of the Bureau of Fisheries. Washington, D.C.: Govt. Print. Off., 1905-1950. url , p. 224, p. 224, p. 350, p. 350, p. 362.
- Bulletin of the Museum of Comparative Zoology at Harvard College. Cambridge, Mass.: The Museum, 1863- url p. 227, p. 227.
- Bulletin of the Southern California Academy of Sciences. Los Angeles, Calif.: The Academy, 1902-1971. url p. 142.
- California fish and game. [San Francisco, etc.]: State of California, Resources Agency, Dept. of Fish and Game. url p. 101, p. 11, p. 165, p. 17, p. 17, p. 197, p. 25, p. 258, p. 318, p. 359, p. 75.
- Canadian fisherman. Gardenvale, Que. [etc.]National Business Publications [etc.] url p. 328.
- Check list of the fishes of the Dominion of Canada and Newfoundland. Ottawa, Printed by C. H. Parmelee, 1913. url , , .
- Commercial fisheries review. [Washington]: National Marine Fisheries Service; [for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off.] url , p. 10, p. 12, p. 12, p. 13, p. 13, p. 13, p. 14, p. 14, p. 16, p. 18, p. 2, p. 22, p. 22, p. 22, p. 22, p. 25, p. 26, p. 27, p. 32, p. 32, p. 34, p. 35, p. 5, p. 5, p. 6, p. 6, p. 7, p. 7, p. 8, p. 9.
- Common marine fishes of California. [Sacramento: California State Print. Off., ]1948. url p. 148, p. 25.
- Current bibliography for aquatic sciences and fisheries. London, Taylor & Francis ltd. url p. 218, p. 462, p. 521, p. 585.
- Dean bibliography of fishes. New York: American Museum of Natural History, 1971-1973. url p. 266, p. 28, p. 281, p. 286, p. 289, p. 635, p. 639, p. 74.
- Environmental assessment of the Alaskan Continental Shelf: Annual reports of principal investigators. [Boulder, Colo.]: U.S. Dept. of Commerce, National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration, Office of Marine Pollution Assessment, url p. 176, p. 559, p. 560, p. 566.
- Fauna of the Aleutian Islands and Alaska Peninsula, by Olaus J. Murie. Invertebrates and fishes collected in the Aleutians, 1936-38, by Victor B. Scheffer. Washington, Dept. of the Interior, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, 1959 url p. 395.
- Fishery Board for Scotland. Scientific investigations. Edinburgh [etc.]H.M. Stationery Off. url p. 180.
- Fishery bulletin / U.S. Dept. of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, National Marine Fisheries Service. Washington, D.C.: The Service: url , , , , , , , , , , , p. 1003, p. 1007, p. 1013, p. 1016, p. 1047, p. 1049, p. 1057, p. 127, p. 128, p. 129, p. 131, p. 133, p. 133, p. 135, p. 137, p. 138, p. 175, p. 179, p. 181, p. 20, p. 222, p. 230, p. 239, p. 278, p. 282, p. 283, p. 286, p. 298, p. 350, p. 355, p. 357, p. 358, p. 359, p. 359, p. 360, p. 361, p. 362, p. 363, p. 365, p. 367, p. 367, p. 369, p. 369, p. 370, p. 403, p. 406, p. 546, p. 559, p. 603, p. 606, p. 607, p. 608, p. 609, p. 610, p. 611, p. 613, p. 615, p. 616, p. 619, p. 620, p. 623, p. 714, p. 766, p. 770, p. 789, p. 947, p. 951, p. 957, p. 964.
- Fishery circular / U.S. Department of Commerce, Bureau of Fisheries. [Washington]: The Bureau, 1931-1939. url p. 106.
- Fishery statistics of the United States / prepared by Data Management and Statistics Division. Washington, D.C.: Dept. of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, National Marine Fisheries Service: url p. 399, p. 432, p. 434, p. 441, p. 463, p. 497, p. 653.
- Fishes, New York, H. Holt and Company, 1907. url .
- Fishes, by David Starr Jordan. .. with 18 colored plates and 673 illustrations. .. New York, H. Holt and Company, 1907. url p. 701.
- Keys to the fishes of Washington, Oregon and closely adjoining regions, by Leonard P. Schultz. Seattle, Wash., University of Washington Press, 1936. url p. 221.
- Marine minerals: exploring our new ocean frontier. Washington, DC: Congress of the U.S., Office of Technology Assessment:  url .
- Marine products of commerce; their acquisition, handling, biological aspects, and the science and techology of their preparation and preservation, by Donald K. Tressler and James McW. Lemon in collaboration with Alexander E. Alexander [and others] New York, Book Division, Reinhold, 1951. url p. 178.
- NOAA technical report NMFS SSRF. Seattle, Wash.: National Marine Fisheries Service; url p. 37.
- North American fauna. Washington: Fish and Wildlife Service; for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U. S. Govt. Print. Off. url p. 395, p. 395.
- Occasional papers of the California Academy of Sciences. San Francisco: California Academy of Sciences, url p. 28.
- Ontogeny and systematics of fishes: based on an international symposium dedicated to the memory of Elbert Halvor Ahlstrom / sponsored by the National Marine Fisheries Service, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, United States Dept. of Commerce. [New York?]: American Society of Ichthyologists and Herpetologists, c1984. url p. 660.
- Our living oceans: the first annual report on the status of U.S. living marine resources. [Washington, D.C.]: U.S. Dept. of Commerce, 1991. url p. 121.
- Pamphlets on forestry. Fish and game. [1900?- url , p. 2603, p. 2609, p. 2610, p. 2679, p. 3205, p. 3310.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 242, p. 269, p. 3, p. 354, p. 501, p. 646, p. 66.
- Report of the Commissioner for. .. / United States Commission of Fish and Fisheries. Washington: G.P.O., 1874-1905. url , , p. 224, p. 224, p. 226, p. 236, p. 236, p. 274, p. 274, p. 330, p. 336, p. 459, p. 459, p. 476, p. 476, p. 477, p. 477, p. 499, p. 499, p. 707, p. 921, p. 934.
- Report of the United States Commissioner of Fisheries for the fiscal year. .. with appendixes Washington: G.P.O., 1914- url p. 221.
- Special scientific report. Seattle, National Marine Fisheries Service; for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off., 1949-1971. url , p. 1, p. 12, p. 40, p. 6, p. 7.
- Summary of the fishery investigations conducted in the North Pacific Ocean and Bering Sea from July 1, 1888 to July 1, 1892 by the U. S. Fish Commission steamer Albatross by Richard Rathbun. S.l.: s.n., 1892? url .
- Syllogeus. Ottawa, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1972-1995. url p. 13.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. 48 1934 Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 124.
- The fisheries and fishery industries of the United States. Prepared through the co-operation of the commissioner of fisheries and the superintendent of the tenth census by George Brown Goode. .. and a staff of associates. .. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1884-87. url p. 188, p. 216, p. 772, p. 96.
- The fishes of North and Middle America a descriptive catalogue of the species of fish-like vertebrates found in the waters of North America, north of the Isthmus of Panama / by David Starr Jordan and Barton Warren Evermann. Washington: G.P.O., 1898. url , .
- The fur seals and fur-seal islands of the North Pacific Ocean. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1898-99. url p. 488, p. 508.
- Amaoka, Kunio (from FishBase).
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 15, 2012.
- FishBase. Release date: January 5, 2010
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility. Accessed March 04, 2008. http://www.gbif.org Mediated distribution data from 9 providers.
- Ruggiero M., Gordon D., Bailly N., Kirk P., Nicolson D. (2011). The Catalogue of Life Taxonomic Classification, Edition 2, Part A. In: Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2011 Annual Checklist (Bisby F.A., Roskov Y.R., Orrell T.M., Nicolson D., Paglinawan L.E., Bailly N., Kirk P.M., Bourgoin T., Baillargeon G., Ouvrard D., eds). DVD; Species 2000: Reading, UK.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal March 04, 2008:
- Burke Museum: University of Washington Fish Collection
- Canadian Museum of Nature: Canadian Museum of Nature Fish Collection
- FishBase: FishBase DiGIR Provider - Philippine Server
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: Canadian Museum of Nature - Fish Collection (OBIS Canada)
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: NODC WOD01 Plankton Database
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: North Pacific Groundfish Observer (North Pacific Research Board)
- Los Angeles County Museum of Natural History: Vertebrate specimens
- Museum national d'histoire naturelle: Ichtyologie
- Museum of Comparative Zoology, Harvard University: MCZ Fish Collection
- Royal Ontario Museum: Fish specimens
- University of Kansas Biodiversity Research Center: Fish Collection
- University of Minnesota Bell Museum of Natural History: Fish specimens
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 143983
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: Fis-23030
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 13494600
- Natural Heritage Network Species Identifier: AFCTB19020
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 154208
- Eschmeyer, W.N., E.S. Herald and H. Hammann (1983). A field guide to Pacific coast fishes of North America. Houghton Mifflin Company, Boston, U.S.A. 336 p. [back]
- Mean = -452.930 meters (-1,485.991 feet), Standard Deviation = 869.960 based on 12,607 observations. Ocean depth information for each observation from British Oceanographic Data Centre. [back]
- Hart, J.L. (1973). Pacific fishes of Canada. Fish. Res. Board Can. Bull. 180:1-740. [back]