Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Dutch:
Common Names in English:
Bat Star, Broad-Disk Star, Sea Bat, Webbed Star
Common Names in Spanish, Castilian:
Species Asterina miniata
This star has 5 (varies from 4-9) short rays , webbed between. The central disk is wider than the rays are long. There are no conspicuous marginal plates along the edges of the rays. The gritty aboral surface is covered with flattened, crescent-shaped ossicles with their concave sides oriented toward the center of the disk and arranged in concentric clusters , giving it a sandpaperlike texture . No pedicellariae. (Ref. 109953)
Color of aboral surface highly variable: orange (picture), red, purplish, brown, dark gray, yellow, or green (usually all one color or mottled ). 
Diameter to 20 cm.
Typically found in the intertidal zone at the water's edge at a mean distance from sea level of 79.07 meters (259.42 feet).
Ecology: Most animals which avoid other seastars have little response to this species, except for the nudibranch Dendronotus iris, which may swim away. Individuals may combat one another if they meet, including pushing, placing a ray over the opponent. May have several individuals of the commensal polychaete worm Ophiodromus pugettensis living on the oral surface or in the ambulacral grooves . This species is often used for developmental studies because ripe individuals can be found throughout the year.
An omnivore and scavenger , feeds mainly on surfgrass. Diet also includes algae, sponges, bryozoans , and colonial tunicates , plus organic films on rocks. It cannot open clams. Feeds by everting its stomach, which it may even evert to gather particles from the water.
Spawn at least from May to July but ripe individuals can be found throughout the year.
- Chatton, 1925
- T.L. Jahn & F.F. Jahn, 1949 ex R.T. Moore, 1980
- D.S. Hibbett et al., in D.S. Hibbett et al., 2007
- Phylum: Ascomycota () - H.C. Bold, 1957 ex T. Cavalier
- Subkingdom: Dikarya () - D.S. Hibbett et al., in D.S. Hibbett et al., 2007
- Kingdom: Animalia () - T.L. Jahn & F.F. Jahn, 1949 ex R.T. Moore, 1980 - Animals
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 27-Dec-2004
Mediaster aequalis has large marginal plates. Pteraster tesselatus has an aboral surface lined with soft tissue and secretes copious slime. Dermasterias imbricata has a smooth aboral surface and is reddish-brown with gray or purple. (Ref. 109953)
Members of the genus Asterina
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 3 species and subspecies in this genus:
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A manual of the common invertebrate animals, exclusive of insects / by Henry Sherring Pratt. .. with over one thousand illustrations. Chicago: A.C. McClurg & Co., 1923. url p. 629.
- Alaska. New York, Doubleday, Page & company, 1901- url p. 264, p. 391.
- Allan Hancock Pacific expeditions. [Reports] Los Angeles, University of Southern California Press. url p. 386.
- American journal of physiology. [Bethesda, Md., etc.]American Physiological Society [etc.] url p. 208.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url , p. 11, p. 14, p. 254, p. 399, p. 408.
- Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History). London: BM(NH) url p. 367, p. 378.
- Bulletin of the Southern California Academy of Sciences. Los Angeles, Calif.: The Academy, 1902-1971. url , p. 117, p. 134, p. 43.
- Coordination in the starfish, by W.F. Hamilton. Berkeley, Calif., 1920 url p. 2.
- Harriman Alaska series. City of Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1910-1914. url p. 264, p. 391.
- Harriman Alaska series. vol. I-V, VIII-XIV Washington, D.C., Smithsonian Institution, 1910-14 url p. 264, p. 391.
- International catalogue of scientific literature. LondonPublished for the International Council by the Royal Society of London1901-1920 url p. 34.
- Journal of entomology and zoology. Claremont, Calif., U.S.A.: Pomona College Dept. of Zoology, [1913- url , p. 47, p. 47.
- Monograph of the shallow-water starfishes of the North Pacific coast from the Arctic Ocean to California / by Addison Emery Verrill; with 110 plates. Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution, 1914. url p. 264, p. 391.
- Nature neighbors, containing articles by Gerald Alan Abbott, Dr. Albert Schneider, William Kerr Higley...and other eminent naturalists. Ed. by Nathaniel Moore Banta: six hundred forty-eight full-page color plates, con 5 1914 Chicago, American Audobon association[c1914] url plate 501.
- Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia, Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia url p. 174.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 452.
- Report on the scientific results of the voyage of H.M.S. Challenger during the years 1873-76: under the command of Captain George S. Nares, R.N., F.R.S. and Captain Frank Turle Thomson, R.N. / prepared under the superintendence of Sir C. Wyville Thomson. Edinburgh: Neill, 1880-1895. url p. 391, p. 391, p. 774.
- Science. New York, N.Y.: [s.n.]1880- url p. 215.
- The Biological bulletin. Woods Hole, Mass.: Marine Biological Laboratory, url p. 107, p. 118, p. 27, p. 343, p. 399, p. 403, p. 405, p. 55, p. 56, p. 57, p. 58, p. 67, p. 9.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. 52 1938 Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 91.
- The Journal of the College of Science, Imperial University of Tokyo, Japan = Tokyo Teikoku Daigaku kiyo. Rika. Tokyo, Japan: The University, 1898-1925. url p. 636.
- The inorganic constituents of marine invertebrates / by Frank Wigglesworth Clarke and Walter Calhoun Wheeler. Washington: U. S Gov't. Print. Off., 1922. url p. 26, p. 28.
- The sea-beach at ebb-tide: a guide to the study of the seaweeds and the lower animal life found between tidemarks / by Augusta Foote Arnold. New York: The Century Co., 1901. url , p. 479.
- The sea-beach at ebb-tide; a guide to the study of the seaweeds and the lower animal life found between tidemarks. New York, The Century co., 1901. url , .
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 15, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal February 01, 2008:
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University, Gwaii Haanas Invertebrates
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 2764965
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-157122
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 157122
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 445820
- Cowles, Dave. Key to Invertebrates Found At or Near The Rosario Beach Marine Laboratory (a campus of Walla Walla University) Fidalgo Island, Anacortes, WA May 2009. [back]
- Standard Deviation = 146.860 based on 90 observations. Terrestrial altitude and ocean depth information for each observation from British Oceanographic Data Centre. [back]