- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Bateson, 1885
- Cuvier, 1812
- Jawed Vertebrates
- Goodrich, 1930
menclature of the American Orni Lawrence, Kan.
- Linnaeus, 1758
- Gauthier, 1986
- (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Pycraft, 1900
- Garrod, 1874
- Order: Ardeiformes () - Wagler, 1830
- Superorder: Ciconiimorphae () - Garrod, 1874
- Cohort: Neognathae () - Pycraft, 1900
- Infraclass: Aves () - (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Subclass: Avialae () - Gauthier, 1986
- Class: menclature of the American Orni Lawrence, Kan. () - Linnaeus, 1758
- Superclass: Tetrapoda () - Goodrich, 1930
- Infraphylum: Gnathostomata () - auct. - Jawed Vertebrates
- Subphylum: Vertebrata () - Cuvier, 1812 - Vertebrates
- Phylum: Chordata () - Bateson, 1885 - Chordates
- Infrakingdom: Chordonia () - (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Deuterostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Members of the genus Ardea
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 30 species and subspecies in this genus:
(Great Egret) · (Great Egret (Eurasian)) · (Great Egret (American)) · (Great Egret (Australasian)) · (Gray Heron (Gray)) · (Grey Heron) · (Grey Heron) · (Gray Heron (Mauritanian)) · (Cocoi Heron) · (Goliath Heron) · (Great Blue Heron (Blue Form)) · (Great Blue Heron) · (Great Blue Heron) · A. herodias hyperonca (Great Blue Heron) · (Great Blue Heron (White Form)) · A. herodias sanctilucae (Great Blue Heron) · A. herodias treganzai (Great Blue Heron) · (Great Blue Heron) · (Humblot's Heron) · A. imperialis (White-Bellied Heron) · (White-Bellied Heron) · (Black-Headed Heron) · A. novaehollandiae (White-Faced Heron) · (Pacific Heron) · A. picata (Pied Heron) · (Purple Heron) · (Purple Heron) · (Purple Heron) · (Great-Billed Heron) · (Great-Billed Heron)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A List of British birds / London: British Ornithologists' Union, 1915. url .
- A List of British birds / London: John Van Voorst, 1883. url .
- A general history of birds by John Latham. Winchester [England]: Printed by Jacob and Johnson, for the author, 1822. url .
- A general history of birds. Winchester [Eng.]Printed by Jacob and Johnson, for the author;1821-28. url p. 69.
- A geographical bibliography of British ornithology from the earliest time to the end of 1918, arranged under counties, being a record of printed books, published articles, notes and records relating to local avifauna, by W. H. Mullens, H. Kirke Swann, F. C. R. Jourdain. London, Witherby, 1920. url p. 13, p. 13, p. 13.
- A hand-book to the birds of Great Britain / by R. Bowdler Sharpe. London: E. Lloyd, 1896-1897. url p. 88.
- A hand-list of British birds, with an account of the distribution of each species in the British Isles and abroad. By Ernst Hartert, F. C. R. Jourdain, N. F. Ticehurst and H. F. Withersby. London, Witherby, 1912. url p. 125.
- A hand-list of genera and species of birds of the Indian empire, by E. C. Stuart Baker. .. Bombay, Printed by order of the committee of the Bombay natural history society url p. 234.
- A history of British birds / by William Yarrell, V.P.L.S., F.Z.S. London: John van Voorst, 1871-1885. url p. 200, p. 200.
- A history of British birds by William Yarrell; illustrated by 535 wood-engravings. London: J. Van Voorst, 1845. url p. 533.
- A history of British birds, indigenous and migratory: including their organization, habits, and relation; remarks on classification and nomenclature; an account of the principal organs of birds, and observations relative to practical ornithology. .. By William Macgillivray. London, Printed for Scott, Webster and Geary, 1837-52. url p. 423.
- A history of British birds, with coloured illustrations of their eggs. By Henry Seebohm. .. London, Pub. for the author by R.H. Porter [etc.]1883-85. url p. 510.
- A history of British birds. By the Rev. F. O. Morris. London, Groombridge and sons, [1851-57?] url .
- A history of the birds of Europe, not observed in the British Isles / by C. R. Bree. London: G. Bell & Sons, 1875-1876. url p. 142.
- A history of the birds of Europe: including all the species inhabiting the western palaearctic region / London: Published by the Author, 1871-1881. url p. 259, p. 261.
- A list of British birds / compiled by a committee of the British Ornithologists' Union. London: J. van Voorst, 1883. url p. 110.
- A list of British birds, comp. by a committee of the British ornithologists' union. London: British ornithologists' union, 1915. url p. 195.
- A list of the birds of Australia: containing the names and synonyms connected with each genus, species, and subspecies of birds found in Australia, at present known to the author / London: Witherby, 1913. url p. 84.
- A list of the genera of birds: with their synonyma an indication of the typical species of each genus / compiled from various sources by George Robert Gray. [London]: R. and J.E. Taylor, 1840. url p. 66.
- A manual of British vertebrate animals: or Descriptions of all the animals belonging to the classes, Mammalia, Aves, Reptilia, Amphibia, and Pisces, which have been hitherto observed in the British Islands: including the domesticated, natur By the Rev. Leonard Jenyns. Cambridge, Printed by J. Smith, sold by J. & J.J. Deighton; [etc., etc.]1835. url p. 189.
- A manual of North American birds. By Robert Ridgway. Illustrated by 464 outline drawings of the generic characters. Philadelphia, J. B. Lippincott Company, 1887. url p. 127.
- A manual of North American birds. Philadelphia, J. B. Lippincott, 1887. url , p. 127.
- A manual of the ornithology of the United States and of Canada. By Thomas Nuttall. .. Cambridge, Hilliard and Brown, 1832-1834. url p. 66.
- A natural history of the nests and eggs of British birds. London, Bell & Daldy, 1870. url p. 10.
- A popular history of British birds' eggs / by Richard Laishley. London: L. Reeve, 1858. url p. 164.
- American ornithology: or, The natural history of the birds of the United States / Philadelphia: Porter and Coates, [187-?] url .
- American ornithology; or, the natural history of the birds of the United States, by Alexander Wilson and Charles Lucian Bonaparte. Philadelphia, Porter & Coates url p. 386.
- Anales de la Sociedad Española de Historia Natural. Madrid: La Sociedad, url p. 91.
- Annals of the Lyceum of Natural History of New York. New-York: 1824-1876. url p. 308.
- Birds. By Eugene W. Oates. London: Taylor and Francis; [etc., etc.], 1889-98. url p. 400.
- Birds. London, Taylor and Francis, 1889-1898. url .
- Boletim da Sociedade Portuguesa de Cie?ncias Naturais. Lisboa, Sociedade Portuguesa de Cie?ncias Naturais, 1908- url p. 184.
- British zoology, London: Printed for Wilkie and Robinson [etc.], 1812. url p. 18.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url p. 88.
- Bulletin of the American Museum of Natural History. New YorkAmerican Museum of Natural History1881- url p. 36.
- Bulletin of the Museum of Comparative Zoology at Harvard College. 81 1937 Cambridge, Mass.: The Museum, 1863- url p. 31.
- Catalogue of British Birds in the Collection of the British Museum / by G.R. Gray. London, 1863. url p. 148, p. 8.
- Catalogue of British birds in the collection of the British Museum. London, Printed by order of the trustees, 1863. url , .
- Catalogue of birds of the Americas and the adjacent islands in Field Museum of Natural History. Charles E. Hellmayr, Boardman Conover. 13 1948 Chicago: Field Museum of Natural History, 1948. url p. 229.
- Catalogue of scientific papers (1800-1900) Comp. by the Royal society of London. Cambridge, C. J. Clay and sons, 1867-1902; url p. 395.
- Catalogue of the Birds in the British Museum. London, 1874-98. url p. 222, p. 226, p. 283.
- Catalogue of the Collection of Birds' Eggs in the British Museum / By E. W. Oates [and afterwards] by S. G. Reid [and] W. R. Ogilvie-Grant. London, 1901-12. url p. 130.
- Catalogue of the birds in the Museum Asiatic Society / by Edward Blyth. Published by order of the society. Calcutta: J. Thomas, 1849. url p. 283.
- Catalogue of the collection of birds' eggs in the British museum (Natural history). London: Printed by order of the Trustees, 1901-12. url p. 130.
- Catalogue of the genera and subgenera of birds contained in the British Museum. London, Printed by order of the Trustees, 1855. url p. 113.
- Catalogue of the specimens illustrating the osteology of vertebrated animals, recent and extinct, contained in the Museum of the Royal College of Surgeons of England. London, 1891. url p. 275.
- Check-list of North American birds / prepared by a committee of the American ornithologists' union. Lancaster, Pa.: The Union, 1931. url p. 32.
- Check-list of North American birds, New York, American ornithologists' union, 1910. url .
- Check-list of North American birds. [Ithaca, N.Y.]1957. url p. 52.
- Check-list of North American birds: the species of birds of North America from the Arctic through Panama, including the West Indies and Hawaiian Islands / prepared by the Committee on Classification and Nomenclature of the American Orni Lawrence, Kan.: American Ornithologists' Union, 1983. url p. 43.
- Check-list of birds of the world. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1931-1987. url p. 120, p. 237, p. 239.
- Coloured figures of the birds of the British Islands / issued by Lord Lilford. London: R. H. Porter, 1885-1897. url .
- Country rambles, and Manchester walks and wild flowers: being rural wanderings in Cheshire, Lancashire, Derbyshire, & Yorkshire, by Leo H. Grindon. Manchester, Palmer & Howe, 1882. url p. 286.
- Genera insectorum / publiés par P. Wytsman. Bruxelles, L. Desmet-Verteneuil [etc.]1902-1970. url p. 19, p. 56.
- General zoology, or, Systematic natural history / London: Printed for G. Kearsley, 1800-1826. url p. 589.
- Hand-book to the birds of Great Britain. London, Allen, 1894-97. url p. 88.
- Handbook and guide to the British birds on exhibition in the Lord Derby Natural History Museum, Liverpool. Liverpool, C. Tinling, 1914. url p. 60.
- Hardwicke's science-gossip: an illustrated medium of interchange and gossip for students and lovers of nature. London: Robert Hardwicke, 1866- url p. 277.
- Heligoland as an ornithological observatory; the result of fifty years' experience, Edinburgh, D. Douglas, 1895. url p. 456.
- History of British animals / by John Fleming. Edinburgh: Bell & Bradfute; 1828. url p. 97.
- Humboldt; Monatsschrift für die gesamten Naturwissenschaften. Stuttgart, F. Enke, 1882-90. url p. 202.
- Ibis. [London]Published for the British Ornithologists' Union by Academic Press. url p. 104, p. 143, p. 334, p. 390, p. 406, p. 433, p. 499, p. 627, p. 792.
- Illustrations of British ornithology. By Prideaux John Selby. [Dublin], Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, Green and Longman, London; and1833. url p. 36, p. 36.
- Jenaische Zeitschrift für Naturwissenschaft. Jena, Gustav Fischer [etc.]. url p. 132.
- Journal of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia: Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia, 1817-1918. url p. 61.
- Journal of the Royal Institution of Cornwall. Truro, Eng., Workers of Cornwall Ltd. url p. 413.
- Journal of the proceedings of the Linnean Society. London: The Society, 1857-1864. url p. 10.
- Leach's Systematic catalogue of the specimens of the indigenous Mammalia and birds in the British Museum. Ed. by Osbert Salvin. London[Printed by R. and A. Taylor]1882. url p. 33.
- Life and letters of Alexander Goodman More, F.R.S.E., F.L.S., M.R.I.A., with selections from his zoological and botanical writings; ed. by C.B. Moffat, B.A., with a preface by Frances M. More. Dublin, Hodges, Figgis & co. (ltd.)1898. url p. 447, p. 480.
- List of the specimens of the British animals in the collection of the British museum. London: Printed by order of the Trustees, 1845-55. url p. 90.
- Magazine of zoology and botany. Edinburgh; Dublin. url p. 111, p. 307.
- Manual of British birds: including the essential characteristics of the orders, families, genera, and species. London: Printed for Adam Scott, 1846. url p. 125.
- Memoirs of the Museum of Comparative Zoölogy, at Harvard College, Cambridge, Mass. 12 1884 Cambridge [Mass.]: The Museum, 1876-1940. url p. 72.
- Nitzsch's Pterylography, tr. from the German. Ed. by Philip Lutley Sclater. 1867 London, Pub. for the Ray society by R. Hardwicke, 1867. url p. 129.
- Notes on sport and ornithology, London, Gurney and Jackson, 1889. url .
- Notes on sport and ornithology, by his imperial and royal highness the late crown prince Rudolph of Austria. Tr with the author's permission, by C. G. Danford. London, Gurney and Jackson, 1889. url p. 549.
- Notes on the birds of Damara Land and the adjacent countries of South-west Africa. London, J. van Voorst, 1872. url .
- On the distribution of birds in Great Britain, during the nesting season / Alexander G. More. [London: British Ornithologists' Union, 1865]. url p. 59.
- Ornithological bibliography. [Washington: Geological Survey [etc.], 1878-1880. url p. 922.
- Ornithology and oo?logy of New England: containing full descriptions of the birds of New England, and adjoining states and provinces. .. by Edward A. Samuels. Boston, Nichols and Noyes, 1867. url p. 403.
- Ornithology and oölogy of New England: containing full descriptions of the birds of New England, and adjoining states and provinces. .. by Edward A. Samuels. Boston: Nichols and Noyes, 1867. url p. 403.
- Our northern and eastern birds. Containing descriptions of the birds of the northern and eastern states and British provinces; together with a history of their habits, times of arrival and departure, their distribution, food, song, New York, R. Worthington, 1883. url .
- Our northern and eastern birds: containing descriptions of the birds of the northern and eastern states and British provinces; together with a history of their habits, times of arrival and departure, their distribution, food, song, by Edward A. Samuels; with a supplement from Holder's "American fauna." New York: R. Worthington, 1883. url p. 401.
- Palestine: the physical geography and natural history of the Holy Land / London: Charles Knight, 1841. url p. 406.
- Prize essay on the natural and economical history of the fishes marine, fluviatile, and lacustrine, of the river district of the Firth of Forth. By Richard Parnell. .. Edinburgh: A. and C. Black; 1838. url p. 492.
- Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia, Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia url p. 35, p. 37, p. 37.
- Proceedings of the Boston Society of Natural History. Boston [etc.]Boston Society of Natural History. url p. 207.
- Proceedings of the International Ornithological Congress. [Canberra, etc.]Australian Academy of Science [etc.] url p. 235, p. 238.
- Proceedings of the Natural History Society of Glasgow. Glasgow, Natural History Society of Glasgow. url p. 186, p. 237, p. 310.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 616.
- Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London. London: Academic Press, [etc.], 1833-1965. url p. 10, p. 599, p. 90.
- Reports of explorations and surveys, to ascertain the most practicable and economical route for a railroad from the Mississippi River to the Pacific Ocean. Made under the direction of the secretary of war, in 1853-. .. Washington, A.O.P. Nicholson, Printer [etc.]1855-60. url p. 672.
- Revue méthodique et critique des collections déposées dans cet établissement. Leyden, Rijksmuseum van Natuurlijke Historie. url p. 21, p. 36, p. 37, p. 39, p. 40, p. 60.
- Smithsonian miscellaneous collections. 131 1958 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1862-1968. url p. 21, p. 442.
- Supplement II to the General synopsis of birds London: Printed for Leigh, Sotheby & Son. .., 1801. url .
- The Annals and magazine of natural history; zoology, botany, and geology being a continuation of the Annals combined with Loudon and Charlesworth's Magazine of Natural History. London, Taylor and Francis, Ltd. url p. 108, p. 108, p. 494.
- The Auk. Washington, D.C.: American Ornithologists' Union, etc., 1884- url p. 192.
- The Edinburgh journal of science. v. 1-10, July 1824-Apr. 1829; new ser., v. 1-6, July 1829-Apr. 1832. EdinburghT. Clark [etc.] url p. 148.
- The New Forest: its history and its scenery / by John R. Wise; with 63 illustrations by Walter Crane; engraved by W.J. Linton. London: Gibbings, 1895. url p. 316.
- The New Forest; its history and its scenery. By John R. Wise. With 63 illustrations, drawn by Walter Crane, engraved by W.J. Linton, and two maps. London: Gibbings & co., 1895. url p. 316.
- The Zoological journal. London: W. Phillips, 1824- url p. 88, p. 88.
- The birds of Dorsetshire; a contribution to the natural history of the county, by J.C. Mansel-Pleydell. .. London, R.H. Porter; [etc., etc., 1888?] url p. 130, p. 130.
- The birds of Middlesex. A contribution to the natural history of the county. By James Edmund Harting, F.Z.S. London: J. Van Voorst, 1866. url p. 165, p. 165.
- The birds of New England / by Edward A. Samuels. Boston: Noyes, Holmes, 1870, c1867. url p. 403.
- The birds of New England and adjacent states. ..: arranged by a long-approved classification and nomenclature. .. with illustrations of many species of the birds, and accurate figures of their eggs / by Edward A. Samuels; with an appendix containing supplementary notes. Boston: Lockwood, Brooks, 1880. url p. 403.
- The birds of New Englandand adjacent states: containing descriptions of the birds of New England. .. together with a history of their habitats. ..; with illustrations of many species of the birds, and accurate figures of their eggs / by Edward A. Samuels. Boston: Noyes, Holmes, 1870 [c1867] url p. 403.
- The birds of South Africa / by Edgar Leopold Layard. London: Bernard Quaritch, 1875-1884. url p. 720.
- The birds of South Africa, London, R. H. Porter, 1900-1906. url .
- The birds of South Africa, by Arthur C. Stark. .. London: R. H. Porter, 1900-1906. url p. 88.
- The birds of Sussex, London, R.H. Porter, 1891. url .
- The birds of Sussex, by William Borrer. London, R.H. Porter, 1891. url p. 319.
- The birds of Tunisia; being a history of the birds found in the regency of Tunis. By J. I. S. Whitaker. London, R.H. Porter, 1905. url p. 172.
- The code of nomenclature and check-list of North American birds adopted by the American Ornithologists' Union; being the report of the Committee of the Union on Classification and Nomenclature. New York, 1886. url p. 134, p. 134.
- The natural history of Ireland. London: Reeve, Benham and Reeve, 1849-56. url p. 159.
- The naturalist's library. Conducted by Sir William Jardine. Edinburgh, W. H. Lizars; [etc., etc.]1833- url p. 140.
- The naturalist. London: Simpkin, Marshall, 1865- url p. 167.
- The nests and eggs of Indian birds / Allan O. Hume. London: R. H. Porter, 1889-1890. url p. 251, p. 252, p. 454.
- The nests and eggs of Indian birds. London, R. H. Porter, 1889-90. url .
- The ornithology of Illinois / [by Robert Ridgway and S.A. Forbes]. Springfield, Ill., H.W. Rokker, printer, 1889-1895. url p. 139.
- The ornithology of Illinois. Part I. Descriptive catalogue. By Robert Ridgway. Part II. Economic ornithology. By S. A. Forbes. Pub. by the authority of the state Legislature. Springfield, Ill., H. W. Rokker, printer, 1889-95. url p. 139, p. 139.
- The structure and classification of birds, London, Longmans, Green, and co., 1898. url .
- Transactions of the Natural History Society of Northumberland, Durham, and Newcastle-upon-Tyne. Newcastle-upon-Tyne [et al.]F. & W. Dodsworth [et al.]1865/67-1973. url p. 127, p. 283, p. 459.
- Travels in Brazil, in the years 1817-1820, : undertaken by command of His majesty the King of Bavaria by Dr. Joh.Babt. von Spix and Dr. C. F. Phil. von Martius / London, Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme, Brown and Green;1824. url p. 17.
- Travels in the interior of South Africa, comprising fifteen years' hunting and trading; with journeys across the continent from Natal to Walvis Bay, and visits to Lake Ngami and the Victoria Falls. By James Chapman. Illustrated with maps and numerous engravings. London: Bell & Daldy, 1868. url p. 429.
- Wagler's Six ornithological memoirs from the 'Isis.' Edited by P.L. Sclater. London[Printed by Taylor and Francis]1884. url p. 34.
- Zoologische Jahrbücher. Abteilung für Anatomie und Ontogenie der Tiere Jena [Germany]:G. Fischer, c -1993. url p. 386, p. 393.
- Zoologist. London.1843-1916 url p. 2224, p. 7342.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 9, 2012.