Common Names in English:
Great Blue Heron, Pacific Great Blue Heron
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Bateson, 1885
- Cuvier, 1812
- Jawed Vertebrates
- Goodrich, 1930
- Linnaeus, 1758
- Gauthier, 1986
- (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Pycraft, 1900
- Garrod, 1874
- Wagler, 1830
- Parvorder: Ciconiida ()
- Infraorder: Ciconiides () -
- Suborder: Ciconii () -
- Order: Pelecaniformes () - Wagler, 1830
- Superorder: Ciconiimorphae () - Garrod, 1874
- Cohort: Neognathae () - Pycraft, 1900
- Infraclass: Aves () - (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Subclass: Avialae () - Gauthier, 1986
- Class: Aves () - Linnaeus, 1758
- Superclass: Tetrapoda () - Goodrich, 1930
- Infraphylum: Gnathostomata () - auct. - Jawed Vertebrates
- Subphylum: Vertebrata () - Cuvier, 1812 - Vertebrates
- Phylum: Chordata () - Bateson, 1885 - Chordates
- Infrakingdom: Chordonia () - (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Deuterostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Name Status: Accepted Name . Latest taxonomic scrutiny: June 24, 1996.
Members of the genus Ardea
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 30 species and subspecies in this genus:
(Great Egret) · (Great Egret (Eurasian)) · (Great Egret (American)) · (Great Egret (Australasian)) · (Gray Heron (Gray)) · (Grey Heron) · (Grey Heron) · (Gray Heron (Mauritanian)) · (Cocoi Heron) · (Goliath Heron) · (Great Blue Heron (Blue Form)) · (Great Blue Heron) · (Great Blue Heron) · A. herodias hyperonca (Great Blue Heron) · (Great Blue Heron (White Form)) · A. herodias sanctilucae (Great Blue Heron) · A. herodias treganzai (Great Blue Heron) · (Great Blue Heron) · (Humblot's Heron) · A. imperialis (White-Bellied Heron) · (White-Bellied Heron) · (Black-Headed Heron) · A. novaehollandiae (White-Faced Heron) · (Pacific Heron) · A. picata (Pied Heron) · (Purple Heron) · (Purple Heron) · (Purple Heron) · (Great-Billed Heron) · (Great-Billed Heron)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- American bird magazine, ornithology. Worcester, Mass.: C.K. Reed, 1903-1906. url p. 298.
- American ornithology, for home and school. [Worcester, Mass.: Charles K. Reed], 1901-. url p. 298.
- Biologia centrali-americana: Aves / [London: R.H. Porter], 1879-1904. url .
- Birds of the Pacific coast, including a brief account of the distribution and habitat of one hundred and eighteen birds that are more or less common to the Pacific coast states and British Columbia, many of which are found east by Willard Ayres Eliot; with fifty-six color plates, by R. Bruce Horsfall. 1923 New York, G. P. Putnam's sons, 1923. url p. 177.
- Birds; a miscellaneous collection of 37 pamphlets about birds. Collected and privately bound by Alvin Seale, 1914. v.p., 1910-1913 url p. 5.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url .
- Bulletin of the Museum of Comparative Zoology at Harvard College. 109 1953 Cambridge, Mass.: The Museum, 1863- url p. 134.
- Catalogue of British Columbia birds. Victoria, B.C., Printed by R. Wolfenden, 1904. url , .
- Catalogue of Canadian birds / by John Macoun and James M. Macoun. Ottawa: Canada Dept. of Mines, Geological Survey Branch, 1909. url p. 141.
- Catalogue of Canadian birds, Ottawa, Government Printing Bureau, 1909. url .
- Catalogue of Canadian birds, by John Macoun. .. and James M. Macoun. .. Ottawa, Government printing bureau, 1909. url p. 141.
- Catalogue of birds of the Americas and the adjacent islands in Field Museum of Natural History. Charles E. Hellmayr, Boardman Conover. 13 1948 Chicago: Field Museum of Natural History, 1948. url p. 166.
- Check-list of North American birds / prepared by a committee of the American ornithologists' union. Lancaster, Pa.: The Union, 1931. url p. 26.
- Check-list of North American birds, New York, American ornithologists' union, 1910. url .
- Check-list of North American birds. [Ithaca, N.Y.]1957. url p. 42.
- Check-list of birds of the world. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1931-1987. url p. 198, p. 99.
- Fauna of the Aleutian Islands and Alaska Peninsula, by Olaus J. Murie. Invertebrates and fishes collected in the Aleutians, 1936-38, by Victor B. Scheffer. Washington, Dept. of the Interior, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, 1959 url p. 59.
- Key to North American birds. Containing a concise account of every species of living and fossil bird at present known from the continent north of the Mexican and United States boundary, inclusive of Greenland and lower California By Elliot Coues. Boston, D. Estes and Company, 1903. url p. 1152.
- North American birds eggs. New York: Dover Pub, . url p. 95.
- North American fauna. Washington: Fish and Wildlife Service; for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U. S. Govt. Print. Off. url p. 40, p. 59.
- Pacific coast avifauna / Cooper Ornithnological Club of California. Santa Clara, Calif.: The Club, 1900-1974. url p. 43.
- Proceedings of the California Academy of Sciences, 4th series. San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences. url p. 66.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 532, p. 533, p. 536, p. 554, p. 555, p. 556, p. 558.
- Report. New York url p. 72.
- Supplement to the code of nomenclature and check-list of North American birds. adopted by the American Ornithologists' Union; prepared by a Committee of the Union. New York: The Union, 1889-1920. url p. 297.
- The American oologists' exchange price list of North American birds' eggs, 1922 / compiled by a committee of twenty-five prominent American oologists. Lacon, Ill.: R. Magoon Barnes, 1922. url p. 49.
- The Auk. Washington, D.C.: American Ornithologists' Union, etc., 1884- url p. 141, p. 297, p. 302, p. 35, p. 363, p. 438, p. 464, p. 516.
- The Canadian bird book: illustrating in natural colors more than seven hundred north American birds, also several hundred photographs of their nests and eggs / by Chester A. Reed. Toronto: Musson Book Co., c1914. url p. 121.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. 36 1922 Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 105, p. 105, p. 47, p. 565, p. 604, p. 666.
- The bird book, illustrating in natural colors more than seven hundred North American birds, also several hundred photographs of their nests and eggs, Worcester, Mass., C. K. Reed, 1914. url .
- The bird book: illustrating in natural colors more than seven hundred North American birds; also several hundred photographs of their nests and eggs / by Chester A. Reed. Garden City, New York, Doubleday, Page & company, 1915. url p. 121.
- The birds of Washington: a complete, scientific and popular account of the 372 species of birds found in the state / by William Leon Dawson, assisted by John Hooper Bowles. Illustrated by more than 300 original half-tones of birds in life, nests, eggs, and favorite haunts, from photographs by the author and others, Seattle: Occidental Pub. Co., 1909. url p. 628.
- University of California publications in zoology. Berkeley: University Press, 1906- url p. 13, p. 159, p. 17, p. 199, p. 363, p. 373, p. 407, p. 420, p. 429, p. 437, p. 47.
- [Collected reprints, 1911-1931. s.l., s.n., 19--] url , , , , , .
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 9, 2012.
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility. Accessed March 14, 2008. http://www.gbif.org Mediated distribution data from 5 providers.
- Peterson, Alan P. Zoological Nomenclature Resource. Accessed June 19, 2009.
- Species At Risk Act Public Registry, Government of Canada
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 591143
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-174777
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 13888990
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 174777
- Natural Heritage Network Species Identifier: ABNGA04011
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 178004