The Scarlet Macaw has a long pointed red tail, head , and shoulders , yellow and blue wings , and bright blue back. They are about 85cm long. These noisy, colorful birds can be found in riverside tropical rain forests . All 18 species of macaws are threatened. They are one of the largest birds in the New World. Now, these wonderful birds are being threatened. There are hardly any more of these species left. In fact, they're listed under one of the endanger species. The primary dangers are habitat loss and heavy exploitation for the pet trade. It is a amazing how some of the macaw live to be 80 years old . They are easily tamed and can be trained to imitate the human voice. Scarlet Macaw is one of many parrots that is very smart.
- The Scarlet Macaw has a large hooked bill, somewhat like that of a bird of prey .
- Macaws use their beaks as an aid in both eating and as a "third foot" when climbing . Food is obtained using the beak. The beak is strong and is used to crush the seeds and nuts, while the thick fleshy tongue is used to move the food around. Very hard nuts are cracked open after the macaw files down the thickness of the shell in one place. This is done with the lower part of the beak.
- Scarlet Macaws are excellent flyers.
Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Dutch:
Common Names in English:
Common Names in French:
Common Names in German:
Common Names in Italian:
Ara rossa e gialla
Common Names in Japanese:
Common Names in Portuguese:
Common Names in Spanish:
Length : 85-90cm
Forests and tall palms growing in swamps or alongside rivers .
Vegetation: tropical lowland evergreen forest, tropical deciduous forests, gallery forests • Maximum Elevation: 900 meters • Foraging Strata: Canopy • Center of Abundance: Lower tropical: lowlands, lower than 500 m.; tropics. • Sensitivity to Disturbance: Medium
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 4,701 meters (0 to 15,423 feet).
List of Habitats
- 1 Forest
- 1.5 Forest - Subtropical/Tropical Dry
- 1.6 Forest - Subtropical/Tropical Moist Lowland
- 1.7 Forest - Subtropical/Tropical Mangrove Vegetation Above High Tide Level [more info]
Plan fruits, figs, berries and nuts. During the breeding season also insects and their larvae. Although their diet consists mainly of fruits, seeds, nuts, leaves and bark , they also feed on small animal life.
Macaws are monogamous. Breeding takes place during the first half
of the year. The nest
is usually in a hole
at the top of a tall dead
. The hole may previously have been made and used by a woodpecker.
The female lays
one or two eggs
and incubates them for 24-26 days,
while the male feeds
On hatching , the young are blind and almost naked. The eyes open after 7-14 days. At first only the female feeds the young, but after about a week the male joins in. The young are fed by the parents' regurgitation of partially digested vegetable crop contents.
The young are born featherless. At ten weeks they are covered with feathers and the wings and tail have attained their full length . At six months it is hard to distinguish the young from the parents.
After the breeding season is over they molt . The old worn and faded feathers fall out and are replaced by new ones. The molt is gradual and takes place over several months.
Macaws usually live in pairs and a number of pairs may congregate
with others to form a flock of several hundred
are regular roosting sites and in the early morning the flocks fly
in search of food. They return to spend the night in
the roosting trees
just before sunset, flying above the forest
Macaws use their beaks as an aid in both eating and as a "third foot" when climbing . Food is obtained using the beak. The beak is strong and is used to crush the seeds and nuts, while the thick fleshy tongue is used to move the food around. Very hard nuts are cracked open after the macaw files down the thickness of the shell in one place. This is done with the lower part of the beak.
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Bateson, 1885
- Cuvier, 1812
- Jawed Vertebrates
- Goodrich, 1930
- Linnaeus, 1758
- Gauthier, 1986
- (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Pycraft, 1900
- Huxley, 1867
- Wagler, 1830
- Series: href="http://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/title/493 ()
- Order: Psittaciformes () - Wagler, 1830
- Superorder: Psittacimorphae () - Huxley, 1867
- Cohort: Neognathae () - Pycraft, 1900
- Infraclass: Aves () - (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Subclass: Avialae () - Gauthier, 1986
- Class: Aves () - Linnaeus, 1758
- Superclass: Tetrapoda () - Goodrich, 1930
- Infraphylum: Gnathostomata () - auct. - Jawed Vertebrates
- Subphylum: Vertebrata () - Cuvier, 1812 - Vertebrates
- Phylum: Chordata () - Bateson, 1885 - Chordates
- Infrakingdom: Chordonia () - (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Deuterostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Ara macao (Linnaeus, 1758) • Ara macao macao • Psittacus Macao
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 23-Jan-2007
Members of the genus Ara
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 29 species and subspecies in this genus:
A. ambigua (Great Green Macaw) · A. ambigua ambigua (Great Green Macaw) · A. ambiguus (Great Green Macaw) · (Blue and Gold Macaw) · A. atwoodi (Bahia Rufous-Vented Ground-Cuckoo) · A. auricollis (Golden-Collared Macaw) · A. autocthones (Brown-Backed Parrotlet) · A. caninde (Wagler's Macaw) · A. chloroptera (Red and Green Macaw) · A. chloropterus (Red and Green Macaw) · A. couloni (Blue-Headed Macaw) · A. cubensis (Cuban Macaw) · A. erythrocephala (Jamaican Green-And-Yellow Macaw) · A. glaucogularis (Blue-Throated Macaw) · A. gossei (Yellow-Headed Macaw) · A. guadeloupensis (Lesser Antillean Macaw) · A. macao (Scarlet Macaw) · A. macao macao (Scarlet Macaw) · A. manilata (Red-Bellied Macaw) · A. maracana (Blue-Winged Macaw) · A. militaris (Military Macaw) · A. militaris militaris (Military Macaw) · A. nobilis (Red-Shouldered Macaw) · A. nobilis nobilis (Red-Shouldered Macaw) · A. rubrogenys (Red-Fronted Macaw) · A. severa (Chestnut-Fronted Macaw) · A. severa severa (Chestnut-Fronted Macaw) · A. severus (Chestnut-Fronted Macaw) · A. tricolor (Hispaniolan Macaw)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A book of birds. 1908 London, Sidney Appleton, 1908. url p. 146, p. 150.
- A contribution to the ornithology of the Orinoco region, by George K. Cherrie. Brooklyn, N.Y.: Pub. for the Brooklyn museum, 1916. url p. 329, p. 329.
- A flying trip to the tropics. A record of an ornithological visit to the United States of Colombia, South America and to the island of Curaçao, West Indies, in the year 1892, Cambridge [Mass.]Riverside press, 1895. url p. 127, p. 156.
- A manual of North American birds. By Robert Ridgway. Illustrated by 464 outline drawings of the generic characters. Philadelphia, J. B. Lippincott company, 1896. url p. 594.
- A manual of North American birds. Philadelphia: J.B. Lippincott Co., 1900. url p. 594.
- A monograph of the Hirundinidae: or family of swallows / London: Printed for the authors, 1885-1894 url .
- A reprint of the North American zoology, by George Ord. Being an exact reproduction of the part originally compiled by Mr. Ord for Johnson & Warner, and first published by them in their 2d American ed. of Guthrie's geography, in 1815. Taken Haddonsfield, N.J., Pub. by the editor, 1894. url p. 34, p. 54.
- A year of Costa Rican natural history, by Amelia Smith Calvert. .. and Philip Powell Calvert. .. with maps and illustrations. New York, The Macmillan company, 1917. url p. 387, p. 553.
- Annals of the Lyceum of Natural History of New York. New-York: 1824-1876. url p. 474.
- Annotated CITES Appendices and Reservations CITES url p. 76.
- Annotated CITES appendices and reservations 1988 IUCN url p. 15, p. 61.
- Annotated checklist of bird and mammal species of Cocha Cashu Biological Station, Manu National Park, Peru / John W. Terborgh, John W. Fitzpatrick, Louise Emmons. 21 1984 Chicago: Field Museum of Natural History, 1984. url table 2 , p. 18.
- Annual report of the Board of Regents of the Smithsonian Institution. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, -1965. url p. 100, p. 100, p. 102, p. 103, p. 104, p. 106, p. 108, p. 111, p. 113, p. 120, p. 122, p. 124, p. 131, p. 140, p. 141, p. 149, p. 152, p. 152, p. 153, p. 156, p. 168, p. 221, p. 330, p. 56, p. 56, p. 56, p. 64, p. 68, p. 70, p. 73, p. 74, p. 74, p. 75, p. 76, p. 76, p. 79, p. 79, p. 80, p. 80, p. 802, p. 82, p. 85, p. 87, p. 88, p. 89, p. 90, p. 90, p. 92, p. 93, p. 95, p. 95, p. 97, p. 98, p. 98, p. 99.
- Annual report of the New York Zoological Society. New York: The Society, 1897- url p. 157, p. 204, p. 204.
- Biologia centrali-americana: Aves / [London: R.H. Porter], 1879-1904. url , , , .
- Biosphere Reserves, Compilation 4, October 1986: programme on man and the biosphere (MAB) IUCN Conservation Monitoring Centre url p. 200.
- Bird lice from the Tinamidae. 24 1943 Chicago, 1943. url p. 390.
- Bird notes. Brighton: Foreign Bird Club: 1902-1925. url , p. 224, p. 259, p. 337, p. 355.
- Birds / by A.H. Evans. London: Macmillan, 1899 (1909 printing). url p. 371.
- Birds from the Yucatan peninsula, by Melvin A. Traylor. 24 1941 Chicago, 1941. url p. 199, p. 206.
- Birds of northeastern Peru / Melvin A. Traylor. 35 1958 Chicago: Chicago Natural History Museum, 1958. url p. 98.
- Birds of the Sierra Macarena, eastern Colombia. 44 1962 Chicago, Chicago Natural History Museum, 1962. url p. 79.
- Birds of the world for young people, New York, F.A. Stokes Company url .
- Botanical Museum leaflets, Harvard University. 29 1983 Cambridge, Mass.: Botanical Museum, Harvard University, 1932- url p. 188, p. 207.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url , p. 121, p. 125, p. 127, p. 128, p. 130, p. 131, p. 18, p. 396, p. 414, p. 71.
- Bulletin / Peabody Museum of Natural History. 1955 New Haven: Peabody Museum of Natural History, url p. 301, p. 330.
- Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History). London: BM(NH) url p. 225.
- Bulletin of the Museum of Comparative Zoology at Harvard College. 88 1941 Cambridge, Mass.: The Museum, 1863- url p. 140, p. 253, p. 285, p. 311, p. 46, p. 46.
- Bulletin of the United States Geological and Geographical Survey of the Territories / Department of the Interior. Washington: Government Printing Office, 1874- url p. 740.
- Catalogue of a collection of birds from Guatemala, by Ned Dearborn. 1 1907 Chicago, 1907. url p. 85.
- Catalogue of birds of the Americas and the adjacent islands in Field Museum of Natural History. including all species and subspecies known to occur in North America, Mexico, Central America, South America, the West Indies, and islands of the Caribbean Sea, the Galapagos Archipelago, and other is by Charles E. Hellmayr and Boardman Conover. 13 1918 Chicago: Field Museum of Natural History, 1918. url p. 53.
- Catalogue of the Birds in the British Museum. London, 1874-98. url p. 150, p. 154, p. 156.
- Check-list of North American birds: the species of birds of North America from the Arctic through Panama, including the West Indies and Hawaiian Islands / prepared by the Committee on Classification and Nomenclature of the American Orni Lawrence, Kan.: American Ornithologists' Union, 1983. url p. 272.
- Checklist of CITES Species CITES, WCMC url p. 102, p. 161, p. 170, p. 218, p. 54.
- Checklist of CITES Species: a reference to the appendices to the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora CITES url p. 140, p. 153, p. 65.
- Checklist of birds listed in the CITES appendices and in EC Regulation 338/97 JNCC url p. 112, p. 292.
- Contents and index to volume 1 / Charles B. Cory. 1 1917 Chicago: Natural History Museum, 1917. url p. 348.
- Feather mites of the Aralichus canestrinii (Trouessart) complex (Acarina, Pterolichidae) from New World parrots (Psittacidae). and conclusions to the study / Warren T. Atyeo, Tila M. Pérez. 62 1990 Chicago, Ill.: Field Museum of Natural History, c1990. url p. 3.
- Field book of birds of the Panama Canal Zone; a description on the habits, call notes and songs of the birds of the Panama Canal Zone, for the purpose of identifying them. Many of these birds are also common in Central and South America. By Bertha Bement Sturgis; with over 100 illustrations, colour plates, pen-and-ink sketches, and a map of the Panama Canal Zone. London, G. P. Putnam's sons, 1928. url .
- Foreign birds for cage and aviary. By Arthur G. Butler London, "The Feathered world"[191-?] url p. 152.
- Game, shore, and water birds of India, with additional references to their allied species in other parts of the world. London, W. Thacker, 1904. url .
- How to sex cage birds (British and foreign), London, "The Feathered world", "Canary and cage-bird life" url p. 113.
- IUCN Directory of Neotropical Protected Areas IUCN url p. 238, p. 244, p. 255, p. 268, p. 99.
- Ibis. [London]Published for the British Ornithologists' Union by Academic Press. url , , p. 1, p. 11, p. 119, p. 169, p. 224, p. 273, p. 362, p. 433, p. 452, p. 495, p. 496, p. 554, p. 668, p. 89, p. 99.
- Journal of ethnobiology. 12-13 1992-1993 Flagstaff, Ariz.: Center for Western Studies, 1981- url p. 100, p. 240, p. 246, p. 83, p. 84, p. 92, p. 94.
- Journal of the Royal Microscopical Society. Oxford [etc.]Royal Microscopical Society. url p. 147.
- List of the specimens of birds in the collection of the British Museum / [by G. R. Gray.] London: printed by the order of the Trustees, 1844-1867. url p. 26.
- List of the vertebrated animals living in the gardens of the Zoological Society of London. London: Printed for the Society, 1862. url p. 40.
- List of the vertebrated animals now or lately living in the gardens of the Zoological Society of London. London: Printed for the Society, 1896. url p. 336, p. 336.
- List of vertebrated animals living in the gardens of the Zoological Society of London. .. London, Printed for the Society, 1866. url p. 95.
- MAB Biosphere Reserves: Site Descriptions, post compilation 5 (October 1990) UNESCO MAB Programme url .
- Memo?rias do Instituto Oswaldo Cruz. Rio de Janeiro. url p. 116.
- Mogollon cultural continuity and change; the stratigraphic analysis of Tularosa and Cordova Caves / [by] Paul S. Martin, Chief Curator, Department of Anthropology, et al. Chicago:Chicago Natural History Museum, 1952. url p. 456.
- Natural history of the animal kingdom for the use of young people: in three parts, comprising I. Mammalia: II. Birds: Part III. Reptiles, amphibia, fishes, insects, worms, molluscs, zoophytes, &c.: with 91 coloured plates, including about 850 figures, and numerous adapted from the German of Professor von Schubert by W.F. Kirby. 1889 Brighton: E. & J.B. Young and Co., 1889. url plate VI, p. VI.
- Naturalist's guide to the Americas, prepared by the Committee on the Preservation of Natural Conditions of the Ecological Society of America, with assistance from numerous organizations and individuals, assembled and edited by chairman, Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins, 1926. url p. 580, p. 580.
- Nature. London, Macmillan. url p. 138, p. 186, p. 208, p. 279, p. 328, p. 328, p. 364, p. 373, p. 376, p. 41, p. 425, p. 428, p. 484, p. 566, p. 628.
- Occasional papers of the Museum of Natural History, the University of Kansas. 1991 Lawrence, Kan.: The University, 1971-1994. url p. 9.
- Ornithological bibliography. [Washington: Geological Survey [etc.], 1878-1880. url p. 740.
- Ornithologisches Centralblatt. Leipzig: L.A. Kittler, 1876-82. url p. 62.
- Our search for a wilderness: an account of two ornithological expeditions to Venezuela and to British Guiana. New York: Holt, 1910. url p. 391.
- Our search for a wilderness; an account of two ornithological expeditions to Venezuela and to British Guiana, London, Constable, 1910. url .
- Pets and how to care for them, [New York]New York zoological park, 1921. url p. 134.
- Pets: their history and care. With illus. from life. New YorkHolt1917 url p. 158.
- Pets; their history and care, New York, H. Holt and company, 1917. url .
- Popular official guide to the New York zoological park / New York: New York zoological Society, 1915. url .
- Postilla. 1968 New Haven, Conn.: Peabody Museum of Natural History, [1950?]-c2004. url p. 19.
- Proceedings - California Academy of Sciences, 4th series. San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences. url p. 1277.
- Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia, Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia url p. 251, p. 251.
- Proceedings of the American Philosophical Society held at Philadelphia for promoting useful knowledge. Philadelphia: American Philosophical Society url p. 245, p. 259.
- Proceedings of the New England Zoo?logical Club. [Cambridge, Mass.]: The Club, 1899- url , p. 107, p. 24, p. 24.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. 8 1885 Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 111, p. 376, p. 388, p. 395, p. 402, p. 402, p. 407, p. 41, p. 42, p. 580, p. 592, p. 666, p. 735.
- Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London. London: Academic Press, [etc.], 1833-1965. url , p. 1009, p. 1010, p. 1010, p. 1016, p. 1054, p. 168, p. 197, p. 279, p. 279, p. 28, p. 28, p. 299, p. 368, p. 38, p. 465, p. 495, p. 587, p. 613, p. 633, p. 634, p. 640, p. 645, p. 676, p. 677, p. 677, p. 677, p. 677, p. 690, p. 699, p. 699, p. 719, p. 722, p. 730, p. 730, p. 744, p. 750, p. 750, p. 753, p. 753, p. 806, p. 826, p. 844, p. 895, p. 907, p. 943, p. 967.
- Publication. Field Museum of Natural History. Chicago, U.S.A.: The Museum, 1910-1943. url p. 53.
- Report of the Secretary of the Smithsonian Institution and financial report of the Executive Committee of the Board of Regents for the year ending June 30. .. Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution, 1933-1965. url p. 100, p. 103, p. 106, p. 107, p. 108, p. 120, p. 122, p. 124, p. 131, p. 140, p. 149, p. 152, p. 152, p. 153, p. 156, p. 168, p. 72, p. 84, p. 84, p. 88, p. 97.
- Revised list of the vertebrated animals now or lately living in the gardens of the Zoological Society of London. Supplement containing additions received in 1872, 1873, and 1874. London, For the Society, 1875. url p. 32.
- Revue méthodique et critique des collections déposées dans cet établissement. Leyden, Rijksmuseum van Natuurlijke Historie. url p. 3.
- Science. New York, N.Y.: [s.n.]1880- url p. 546.
- Significant Trade in Wildlife: a review of selected species in CITES Appendix II. Volume 3, Birds IUCN Conservation Monitoring Centre url p. 20, p. 57, p. 7, p. 93, p. 94, p. 95, p. 96.
- Smithsonian contributions to knowledge. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1848-1916. url , p. 232, p. 64.
- Smithsonian miscellaneous collections. 147 1964 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1862-1968. url p. 107, p. 126, p. 127, p. 261, p. 262, fig. 3, p. 324, p. 340, p. 35, p. 35, p. 38, p. 448, p. 63, p. 68, p. 69, fig. 8, p. 97, p. 99, p. iv.
- Smithsonian scientific series. New York: Smithsonian Institution Series, Inc., -32. url p. 254.
- Smithsonian year. 1965 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1965-1976. url p. 180.
- Special scientific report--wildlife / U.S. Department of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service. Washington, D.C.: The Service, 1949- url p. 41.
- The Annals and magazine of natural history; zoology, botany, and geology being a continuation of the Annals combined with Loudon and Charlesworth's Magazine of Natural History. London, Taylor and Francis, Ltd. url p. 225, p. 225.
- The Auk. Washington, D.C.: American Ornithologists' Union, etc., 1884- url p. 26, p. 272, p. 292, p. 346, p. 358, p. 418, p. 468, p. 63.
- The Australian zoologist. Sydney, Royal Zoological Society of New South Wales url p. 16.
- The Avicultural magazine. Ascot, Berkshire, etc.: Avicultural Society, etc. url p. 123, p. 193, p. 290, p. 41.
- The British bird book: an account of all the birds, nests and eggs found in the British Isles / ed. by F.B. Kirkman. Illustrated by two hundred drawings and numerous photographs. London: T.C. & E.C. Jack, 1910-13. url p. 103.
- The Cambridge natural history / edited by S. F. Harmer and A. E. Shipley. London: Macmillan and Co.; 1895-1909. url p. 371.
- The Cambridge natural history, ed. by S.F. Harmer. .. and A.E. Shipley. .. London, Macmillan and co., limited;1895-1909 url p. 371, p. 591.
- The Conservation Atlas of Tropical Forests: the Americas IUCN url p. 167, p. 182.
- The Journal of the Bombay Natural History Society. Bombay: The Society, url p. 576.
- The Marine Mammal Commission compendium of selected treaties, international agreements, and other relevant documents on marine resources, wildlife, and the environment / compiled by Richard L. Wallace. Washington, D.C.: The Commission; 1994 url p. 2334, p. 628.
- The Osprey. Galesburg, Ill.: The Osprey Co., 1897-1902. url .
- The Wilson bulletin. Columbus, Ohio: Wilson Ornithological Society, 1894- url p. 8.
- The biology of senescence. New York, Rinehart, 1956. url p. 50.
- The birds of British Guiana: based on the collection of Frederick Vavasour McConnell. .. / London: Bernard Quaritch. .., 1916-1921. url , p. 296, p. 298, p. 299, p. 302.
- The birds of Cerro de la Neblina, Territorio Federal Amazonas, Venezuela / David E. Willard. .. [et al.]. 65 1991 [Chicago, Ill.]: Field Museum of Natural History, c1991. url p. 15.
- The birds of El Salvador, by Donald R. Dickey and A. J. Van Rossem. 23 1938 Chicago: Field Museum of Natural History, 1938. url p. 200, p. 201, p. 45, p. 601.
- The birds of North and Middle America: a descriptive catalogue of the higher groups, genera, species, and subspecies of birds known to occur in North America, from the Arctic lands to the Isthmus of Panama, the West Indies and other island Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1901- url , , , , , , , .
- The collected scientific papers of the late Alfred Henry Garrod, M.A., F.R.S. / edited, with a biographical memoir of the author, by W.A. Forbes. London: R.H. Porter, 1881. url p. 170, p. 195.
- The distribution of bird-life in Colombia; a contribution to a biological survey of South America, New York, Pub. by order of the trustees, 1917. url , .
- The journal of the Asiatic Society of Bengal. Calcutta: Bishop's College Press, 1832-1936 url , p. 180, p. 180.
- The migrations of birds, by Alexander Wetmore. .. Cambridge, Harvard University Press, 1926. url p. 54.
- The new natural history, by Richard Lydekker. .. and R. Bowdler Sharpe, H.A. MacPherson, F.O. Pickard-Cambridge, W.R. Ogilvie Grant, C.J. Gahan, F.A. Bather, Edgar A. Smith, R.I. Pocock, M. Bernard, H. Bernard and R. Kirkpatr New York, Merrill and Baker[189-?] url p. 114.
- The new natural history. New York, Merrill, c1901. url p. 1878.
- The pet book Ithaca, N.Y.: Comstock, 1914. url .
- The published writings of George Newbold Lawrence, 1844-1891 / by L. S. Foster. Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1892. url p. 18.
- The royal natural history / edited by Richard Lydekker; with preface by P.L. Sclater; illustrated with seventy-two coloured plates and sixteen hundred engravings by W. Kuhnert. .. [et al.]. London: F. Warne, 1893-1896. url p. 114.
- The royal natural history. With pref. by P. L. Sclater. Illustrated with 72 col. plates and 1600 engravings. London, F. Warne, 1893-96. url p. 114.
- Timehri. Demerara: "Argosy" url p. 7.
- Transactions of the Academy of Science of St. Louis. [St. Louis: Academy of Science of St. Louis], 1860-1958. url p. 32, p. 32, p. 32, p. 34, p. 34, p. 34.
- Transactions of the Zoological Society of London. [London]: Published for the Zoological Society of London by Academic Press url p. 211, p. 213, p. 219, p. 221, p. 222, p. 224, p. 227, p. 229, p. 240, p. 255, p. 259, p. 261, p. 268, p. 274, p. 276.
- Transactions of the. .. annual meetings of the Kansas Academy of Science. Topeka, Kan.: Kansas Pub. House, 1883-1901. url p. 219.
- Tropical wild life in British Guiana: zoological contributions from the Tropical research station of the New York zoological society / by William Beebe. .. G. Inness Hartley. .. and Paul G. Howes. .. with an introduction by Colonel Theodore Roosevelt. New York city: The New York zoological society, 1917- url p. 129.
- Type-specimens of birds in the British Museum (Natural History) / by R.L.M. Warren & C.J.O. Harrison. London: BM(NH), 1966-1973. url p. 60.
- University of Kansas publications, Museum of Natural History. 3 1951 Lawrence, University of Kansas. url p. 569, p. 652.
- Wanderings in South America, the North-west of the United States and the Antilles, in the years 1812, 1816, 1820, & 1824: with original instructions for the perfect preservation of birds, etc. for cabinets of natural history / London; Macmillan, 1878, 1889 printing. url .
- Wanderings in South America, the north-west of the United States, and the Antilles, in the years 1812, 1816, 1820, & 1824: with original instruction for the perfect preservation of birds, etc. for cabinets of natural history / ed. with biographical introduction and explanatory index by J.G. Wood. London: Macmillan, 1889. url p. 365.
- Zoologica; scientific contributions of the New York Zoological Society. New York. url , p. 82.
- BirdLife International 2004. Ara macao. In: IUCN 2006. 2006 IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. and lt;www.iucnredlist.org and gt;. Downloaded on 21 October 2006.
- BirdLife International 2004. In IUCN 2008. 2008 IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. IUCNRedList.org. Downloaded July 18, 2008.
- BirdLife International 2009. Ara macao. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloadedon 30January2012.
- Bisby, F.A., Y.R. Roskov, M.A. Ruggiero, T.M. Orrell, L.E. Paglinawan, P.W. Brewer, N. Bailly, J. van Hertum, eds (2007). Species 2000 and ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2007 Annual Checklist. Species 2000: Reading, U.K.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 9, 2012.
- Clark, M. A. WhoZoo.
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility. Accessed March 06, 2008. http://www.gbif.org Mediated distribution data from 7 providers.
- Honolulu Zoo
- IUCN 2012. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. . Downloaded on January 28, 2012.
- Parker III, T.A., D.F. Stotz, and J.W. Fitzpatrick, and quot;Ecological and Distributional Databases for Neotropical Birds, and quot; in Neotropical Birds: Ecology and Conservation, by D.F. Stotz, T.A. Parker III, J.W. Fitzpatrick, and D.K. Moskovits (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1996). ISBN 0-226-64676-9.
- Peterson, Alan P. Zoological Nomenclature Resource. Accessed June 19, 2009.
- Ruggiero M., Gordon D., Bailly N., Kirk P., Nicolson D. (2011). The Catalogue of Life Taxonomic Classification, Edition 2, Part A. In: Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2011 Annual Checklist (Bisby F.A., Roskov Y.R., Orrell T.M., Nicolson D., Paglinawan L.E., Bailly N., Kirk P.M., Bourgoin T., Baillargeon G., Ouvrard D., eds). DVD; Species 2000: Reading, UK.
- Zoo Ave, Alajuela, Costa Rica
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal March 06, 2008:
- Avian Knowledge Network: eBird
- Borror Laboratory of Bioacoustics
- Museum of Comparative Zoology, Harvard University: MCZ Ornithology Collection
- Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History: Santa Barbara Musem of Natural History
- Senckenberg: Collection Aves (bird skins)
- UCLA-Dickey Bird Collection (UCLA-Dickey): Bird specimens
- University of Michigan Museum of Zoology (UMMZ): Bird specimens
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 10627
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-714463
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 2497311
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 177665
- IUCN ID: 192301
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 67393