Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Albanian:
lepuri i detit
Common Names in Breton:
Buoc'h vor vrizh
Common Names in Catalan, Valencian:
llebre de mar tacada
Common Names in Danish:
Common Names in Dutch:
Common Names in English:
spotted sea hare
Common Names in French:
aplysie ponctuée, lièvre de mer taché
Common Names in German:
Common Names in Slovene:
Pikasti morski zajček
Common Names in Spanish, Castilian:
liebre de mar manchada
Common Names in Swedish:
Typically found in the intertidal zone at the water's edge at a mean distance from sea level of -96.75 meters (-317.42 feet).
- Chatton, 1925
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (Rafinesque, 1814) Sedgwick, 1898
- (C. Linnaeus, 1758) Cuvier, 1795
- Gegenbauer, 1878
- (G. Cuvier, 1795)
- Snails and Slugs
- Ponder & Lindberg, 1996
- J.E. Gray, 1840
- Order: Anaspidea () - P. Fischer, 1883 - Sea Hares
- Superorder: Heterobranchia () - J.E. Gray, 1840
- Subclass: Orthogastropoda () - Ponder & Lindberg, 1996
- Class: Gastropoda () - (G. Cuvier, 1795) - Snails and Slugs
- Subphylum: Conchifera () - Gegenbauer, 1878
- Phylum: Mollusca () - (C. Linnaeus, 1758) Cuvier, 1795 - Molluscs
- Superphylum: Eutrochozoa () - (Rafinesque, 1814) Sedgwick, 1898
- Branch: Protostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - Animals
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 30-Aug-2000
Members of the genus Aplysia
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 11 species and subspecies in this genus:
A. brasiliana (Mottled Seahare) · A. californica (California Seahare) · A. dactylomela (Spotted Seahare) · A. fasciata (Black Sea Hare) · A. juliana (Walking Seahare) · A. morio (Atlantic Black Seahare) · A. oculifera (Spotted Sea Hare) · A. parvula (Pygmy Seahare) · A. punctata (Spotted Sea Hare) · A. reticulopoda (Net-Foot Seahare) · A. vaccaria (California Black Seahare)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A complete catalogue of British Mollusca. Compiled from Jeffreys' "British conchology, " with alterations and additions to date. By Charles Jefferys. .. Gloucester, H.W. Marsden, 1887. url p. 46.
- A guide to the natural history of the Isle of Wight: a series of contributions by specialists relating to the various branches of natural history and kindred subjects / edited by Frank Morey. Newport, Isle of Wight: The County Press, 1909. url p. 268.
- A manual of conchology, according to the system laid down by Lamarck, with the late improvements by De Blainville exemplified and arranged for the use of students. By Thomas Wyatt. New York, Harper & brothers, 1838. url p. 103.
- A manual of marine zoology for the British Isles / by Philip Henry Gosse London: J. Van Voorst, 1855-1856 url p. 109, p. 227.
- A natural history of the seas, by E. G. Boulenger... New York, D. Appleton-Century company, incorporated.1936. url p. 93.
- A pocket list of British marine Mollusca, compiled by the Rev. Geo. Bailey. Newmarket, Tindall & co., printers[pref. 1887] url p. 36.
- A year at the shore / by Philip Henry Gosse; with 36 ill. by the author, printed in colours by Leighton Brothers. London: A. Strahan, 1865. url p. 139.
- American journal of conchology. Philadelphia, G.W. Tryon, jr., 1865-72. url p. 222, p. 222.
- American journal of physiology. [Bethesda, Md., etc.]American Physiological Society [etc.] url p. 308.
- An atlas of the chromosome numbers in animals. Ames, Iowa State College Press url p. 22.
- An introduction to conchology; or, Elements of the natural history of molluscous animals / by George Johnston. London: J. Van Voorst, 1850. url p. 241.
- An outline of the natural history of our shores, by Joseph Sinel with chapters on collecting and preserving marine specimens, methods of microscopic mounting, etc., and on the marine aquarium. London, Swan Sonnenschein & Co., 1906. url , p. 287.
- Anatomical and pathological observations, by J. Goodsir and H.D.S. Goodsir. Edinburgh, 1845. url p. 23.
- Anatomischer Anzeiger. Jena: G. Fischer, 1886- url p. 382, p. 59.
- Animal life by the sea-shore, London, "Country life, " ltd. [etc.]; url , .
- British conchology, or, An account of the Mollusca which now inhabit the British Isles and the surrounding seas / by John Gwyn Jeffreys. London: John Van Voorst, 1862-1869. url p. 5, p. 8.
- British conchology: or, an account of the Mollusca which now inhabit the British Isles and the surrounding seas / by John Gwyn Jeffreys. London: J. Van Voorst, 1862-69. url p. 5, p. 8.
- British conchology; or, An account of the Mollusca which now inhabit the British Isles and the surrounding seas, by John Gwyn Jeffreys. London, J. Van Voorst, 1862-69. url , p. 5, p. 8.
- Bulletin de la Station Biologique d'Arcachon. Arcachon. url .
- Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History). London: BM(NH) url p. 276, p. 284, p. 292, p. 294, p. 389, p. 396, p. 399.
- Bulletin of the United States Fish Commission. Washington, The Commission, Govt. Print. Off. url p. 317.
- Carnegie Institution of Washington publication. Washington, Carnegie Institution of Washington, 1902- url .
- Carotenoids, their comparative biochemistry. New York, Chemical Pub. Co., 1954. url p. 327.
- Catalogue of scientific papers (1800-1900) Comp. by the Royal society of London. Cambridge, C. J. Clay and sons, 1867-1902; url p. 982.
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. Compiled by the Royal Society of London. London, C.J. Clay and Sons, 1867-1902 [etc.] Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1914-25. url p. 982.
- Catalogue of the books, manuscripts, maps and drawings in the British Museum (Natural History) London: BM(NH), 1903-1940. url p. 1365.
- Comparative physiology, by Lancelot T. Hogben. .. New York, The Macmillan Company, 1926. url p. 140.
- Conchologia iconica, or, Illustrations of the shells of molluscous animals / by Lovell Augustus Reeve. London: Reeve, Brothers, 1843-1878. url p. 207, p. 213, p. 214, p. 216.
- Current bibliography for aquatic sciences and fisheries. London, Taylor & Francis ltd. url p. 132, p. 150, p. 236, p. 536.
- Descriptive and illustrated catalogue of the physiological series of comparative anatomy contained in the Museum of the Royal College of Surgeons of England. London, Taylor [and] Francis (pr.)1900-1902. url p. 55.
- Discovery reports. London; Cambridge University Press. url p. 22.
- Electro-physiology / by W. Biedermann; translated by F. A. Welby. London: Macmillan, 1896-98. url p. 19, p. 19.
- Experimental morphology, by Charles Benedict Davenport. London, The Macmillan company, 1897-99. url p. 136.
- Fauna, flora & geology of the Clyde area, ed. by G.F. Scott Elliot, Malcolm Laurie and J. Barclay Murdoch. Glasgow, Pub. by the local committee for the meeting of the British Association, 1901. url p. 205, p. 543.
- Figures of molluscous animals, selected from various authors. Etched for the use of students by Maria Emma Gray. .. London, Longman, Brown, Green and Longmans, 1859. url p. 30, p. 31, p. 35, p. 97.
- Geological magazine. London [etc.]Cambridge University Press. url p. 453.
- Guide to the shell and starfish galleries (Mollusca, Echinodermata, Vermes) in the Department of Zoology of the British Museum (Natural History) [London]: Printed by order of the Trustees, 1888. url p. 27.
- Guide to the systematic distribution of Mollusca in the British museum. London, Printed by order of the trustees, 1857. url , .
- Hardwicke's science-gossip: an illustrated medium of interchange and gossip for students and lovers of nature. London: Robert Hardwicke, 1866- url p. 177, p. 285.
- Illustrations of zoology. The engravings by F.W. Lowry and Thomas Landseer, from original drawings by Sowerby, Varley, Holmes, Bone, Pyne, Lowry and Charles Lanseer; with descriptive letter-press embracing a systematic view of the animal kingdom, according to Cuvier, with cha 1851 Glasgow, John Joseph Griffin and Co., ;1851. url p. 133.
- International catalogue of scientific literature. LondonPublished for the International Council by the Royal Society of London1901-1920 url p. 11, p. 25, p. 278, p. 29, p. 327, p. 39, p. 4, p. 414, p. 666, p. 712, p. 751.
- Jenaische Zeitschrift für Naturwissenschaft. Jena, Gustav Fischer [etc.]. url p. 132, p. 428, p. 429, p. 436.
- Journal of conchology. London: D. Bogue. url p. 103, p. 107, p. 13, p. 186, p. 188, p. 211, p. 219, p. 257, p. 292, p. 378, p. 57, p. 65, p. 85.
- Journal of the Marine Biological Association of the United Kingdom. Cambridge [etc.]Cambridge University Press [etc.] url , p. 144, p. 161, p. 166, p. 169, p. 171, p. 173, p. 174, p. 175, p. 177, p. 181, p. 226, p. 254, p. 330, p. 401, p. 405, p. 408, p. 409, p. 410, p. 413, p. 457, p. 494, p. 51, p. 551, p. 556, p. 658, p. 9.
- Journal of the Royal Institution of Cornwall. Truro, Eng., Workers of Cornwall Ltd. url , p. 206.
- Journal of the Royal Microscopical Society. Oxford [etc.]Royal Microscopical Society. url , p. 160, p. 30, p. 39, p. 550, p. 640, p. 774, p. 811, p. 852.
- Last report on dredging among the Shetland Isles. .. S.l.s.n.1868 url p. 235.
- Lehrbuch der vergleichenden Anatomie der wirbellosen Thiere / von Arnold Lang. Jena: G. Fisher, 1900-1901. url p. 10, p. 59, p. 86, p. 86.
- Manual of conchology, structural and systematic: with illustrations of the species. by George W. Tryon, Jr. Philadelphia: Published by the Author, 1885-1935. url p. 104, p. 110, p. 95.
- Marine shells of South Africa: a catalogue of all the known species, by G.B. Sowerby. London, Sowerby, 1892. url p. 53.
- Memoirs of the California Academy of Sciences. San Francisco: The Academy, 1868- url p. 16.
- Monitore zoologico italiano. [Siena]: Instituto anatomico della R. Università di Siena, [1890-1988] url p. 356, p. 75, p. 82.
- Natural science. London: Macmillan & Co., [1892-1899] url p. 459.
- Natural science: a monthly review of scientific progress. London [etc.]: Macmillan and Company [etc.], [1892-1899] url p. 459.
- Nature. London, Macmillan. url p. 134, p. 193, p. 208, p. 237, p. 472, p. 472, p. 497, p. 548, p. 798.
- Notes on methods for the narcotization, killing, fixation, and preservation of marine organisms / compiled by Henry D. Russell. Woods Hole, Mass., Marine Biological Laboratory, Systematics-Ecology Program, 1963. url p. 43, p. 64, p. 7.
- On the marine mollusca of Maderia: with descriptions of thirty-five new species and an index-list of all known sea-dweling species of that island / by Robert Boog Watson. [S.l.]: Linnean Society of London, [1897?] url p. 272.
- Opinions and declarations rendered by the International Commission on Zoological Nomenclature. London, Printed by order of the International Trust for Zoological Nomenclature. url p. 245, p. 249, p. 250, p. 251, p. 258, p. 296, p. 86, p. 87, p. 97, p. 99.
- Opisthobranch newsletter. Pismo Beach, Calif. [etc.]S.J. Long. url , p. 12, p. 12, p. 19, p. 19, p. 26, p. 26, p. 3, p. 3, p. 45, p. 66.
- Our country's shells and how to know them: a guide to the British mollusca / by W.J. Gordon. .. with a coloured illustration of every species, and many original diagrams, by A. Lambert London: Simpkin, Marshall, Hamilton, Kent & Co.,  url p. 21.
- Papers and proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania. Hobart, Tasmania, The Society. url p. 3.
- Proceedings of the California Academy of Sciences, 4th series. San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences. url p. 556.
- Proceedings of the Royal Irish Academy. Dublin: Royal Irish Academy, 1841- url p. 21, p. 584, p. 762, p. 853.
- Proceedings of the Royal Physical Society of Edinburgh. Edinburgh: The Society, 1858-1955 url p. 309.
- Quarterly journal of microscopical science. London, J. and A. Churchill [etc.] url , , p. 2, p. 34, p. 362, p. 362, p. 392, p. 392, p. 393, p. 393, p. 497, p. 498, p. 499, p. 501, p. 505, p. 507, p. 509, p. 511, p. 513, p. 515, p. 517, p. 523, p. 527, p. 531, p. 533, p. 539, p. 587, p. 596.
- Report of the Dove Marine Laboratory / the University of Newcastle upon Tyne. [Newcastle-upon-Tyne]: The University, url p. 59, p. 89.
- Report to the government of Ceylon on the pearl oyster fisheries of the gulf of Manaar, by W.A. Herdman. .. With supplementary reports upon the marine biology of Ceylon, by other naturalists. Pub. at the request of the colonial government by the Royal society. London, 1903-06. url p. 349.
- Report upon the fauna of Liverpool Bay and the neighboring seas, written by members of the Liverpool Marine Biology Committee, and edited by W.A. Herdman. London, Longmans, Green, 1886-1900. url , p. 13, p. 137, p. 228, p. 240, p. 275, p. 30, p. 32, p. 323, p. 339, p. 4, p. 47, p. 48, p. 74.
- Sea and inland fisheries: report. DublinStationery Off. url p. 208, p. 66, p. 78.
- Systematic arrangement of the figures. S.1.: s.n., 1850? url p. 97.
- Systematic lists illustrative of the Flora, Fauna, Palaeontology, and Archaeology of the North of Ireland / Belfast: Printed for the Club, 1870-1906. url p. 105.
- The Annals and magazine of natural history; zoology, botany, and geology being a continuation of the Annals combined with Loudon and Charlesworth's Magazine of Natural History. London, Taylor and Francis, Ltd. url p. 188, p. 188, p. 301, p. 327, p. 327, p. 346, p. 428, p. 69, p. 69.
- The Australian zoologist. Sydney, Royal Zoological Society of New South Wales url p. 18.
- The Biological bulletin. Woods Hole, Mass.: Marine Biological Laboratory, url , p. 110, p. 111, p. 289, p. 319, p. 418, p. 419, p. 419, p. 420, p. 420, p. 90.
- The Bulletin of zoological nomenclature. London, International Trust for Zoological Nomenclature. url p. 193, p. 212.
- The Glasgow naturalist. Glasgow, Andersonian Naturalists of Glasgow. url p. 115.
- The Irish naturalist. Dublin: Eason & Son, Ltd., 1892- url p. 154, p. 216, p. 4, p. 61, p. 66.
- The Journal of malacology. 8 1901 London: Dulau & Co., 1894- url p. 13.
- The Journal of marine zoology and microscopy. Jersey: Jersey Biological Station, 1893-1897 url p. 59.
- The Journal of the Linnean Society of London. London: Academic Press [etc.], 1865-1968. url p. 272, p. 531.
- The Mollusca of Dorsetshire (marine, estuarine, freshwater, and land) and the Brachiopoda. Dorchester [Eng.]"Dorset County Chronicle" Print. Works, 1898. url , .
- The Mollusca of Dorsetshire: (marine, estuarine, freshwater, and land) and the Brachiopoda / By John Clavell Mansel-Pleydell. Dorchester: "Dorset county chronicle" printing works, 1898. url , p. 31.
- The Mollusca of the Firth of Clyde, being a catalogue of recent marine species found in that estuary. By Alfred Brown. .. Glasgow, Hugh Hopkins, 1878. url p. 103.
- The Naturalist. 1895 [Doncaster: Yorkshire Naturalists' Union], 1874- url p. 191, p. 194.
- The Popular educator: a complete encyclopaedia of elementary, advanced and technical education. London, Cassell url p. 335.
- The Scottish naturalist. Arbroath [etc.]T. Buncle & Co. [etc.] url , .
- The Victoria history of the county of Kent; ed. by William Page. London, Constable, 1908- url p. 96.
- The anatomical memoirs of John Goodsir / edited by William Turner; with a biographical memoir by Henry Lonsdale Edinburgh: A. and C. Black, 1868 url p. 415, p. 416, p. 515.
- The animal kingdom, arranged according to its organization, serving as a foundation for the natural history of animals: and an introduction to comparative anatomy / by Baron Cuvier; with figures designed after nature: the Crustacea, Arachnides, & Insecta, by M. Latreille; translated from the latest French edition; with additional notes, and illustrated by near London: G. Henderson, 1834-1837. url .
- The biology of marine animals. New York, Interscience Publishers url p. 269, p. 36, p. 495, p. 684.
- The conchologist's first book, or, A system of testaceous malachology, arranged expressly for the use of schools: in which the animals, according to Cuvier, are given with the shells, and a great number of new species added: with colored illustrations of two hundred and fifteen shells, presenting a correct type Philadelphia: Barrington and Haswell, 1845. url p. 96.
- The conchologist's first book: a system of testaceous malacology, arranged expressly for the use of schools, in which the animals, according to Cuvier, are given with the shells, a great number of new Philadelphia, Pub. for the Author, by Haswell, Barrington, and Haswell, 1840. url p. 96.
- The invertebrate fauna of the Firth of Forth. By George Leslie and W. A. Herdman. Edinburgh, Printed by M'Farlane & Erskine, 1881. url p. 100.
- The marine fishes and invertebrates of Loch Fyne. 2 Edinburgh, Fishery Board, 1897 url p. 116.
- The marine invertebrates and fishes of St. Andrews / By W. C. M'Intosh. Edinburgh: A. and C. Black; [etc., etc.]1875. url , p. 61, p. 84.
- The natural history of Ireland. London: Reeve, Benham and Reeve, 1849-56. url .
- The naturalist. London: Simpkin, Marshall, 1865- url p. 250, p. 42.
- The nature of biological diversity. New York, McGraw-Hill url p. 54.
- The physiology of the Invertebrata, New York, D. Appleton and Company, 1892. url .
- The sea and its living wonders, London, Longman, Green, & Co.1892. url .
- The sea and its living wonders; a popular account of the marvels of the deep and of the progress of maritime discovery from the earliest ages to the present time, by Dr. G. Hartwig. London, Longmans, Green, and co., 1892. url p. 284.
- Transactions of the Royal Society of Edinburgh. Edinburgh: Royal Society of Edinburgh. url p. 297, p. 298.
- World Atlas of Seagrasses UNEP-WCMC url p. 288.
- Zoologist. London.1843-1916 url .
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 15, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 24, 2007:
- Academy of Natural Sciences, Academy of Natural Sciences OBIS Mollusc Database [Darwin Core]
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University, MarBEF Publication Series data
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University, Taxonomic Information Sytem for the Belgian coastal area
- UK National Biodiversity Network, Conchological Society of Great Britain & Ireland - Mollusc
- data for Great Britain and Ireland
- UK National Biodiversity Network, Marine Biological Association - Marine survey data
- held by MarLIN.
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 506677
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-78036
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 2490700
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 78036
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 511061