Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Danish:
Common Names in English:
Freshwater Dogfish, freshwater drum, Sheephead, Sheepshead
Common Names in French:
Common Names in German:
Common Names in Mandarin Chinese:
Common Names in Russian:
Common Names in Spanish:
Roncador Curruco, Roncador de agau dulce, roncador de agua dulce
Common Names in Swedish:
Species Aplodinotus grunniens
and snout: Terminal
and horizontal mouth, located ventrally
on the head
, with small teeth on the jaws
. No barbels
. Body patterning,
color, and scales
: Solid color of silver, light gray, or light olive
with a cream or white belly. Pelvic fins whitish, remaining fins
. 48-53 ctenoid lateral
scales. Body shape
and size: Body laterally compressed
and deep; oval
Typically 350-500 mm (14-20 in) TL
; maximum about 950 mm (38 in).
Fins: Tail, dorsal and other fins: Rounded or square tail (but see Juveniles ). Dorsal fin with 2 distinct lobes , slightly attached by a membrane the first with 8-9 spines and the second with 1 spine and 24-32 rays. Pelvic fins thoracic ; first ray elongated into filament . Adipose fin absent. Anal fin with 2 spines and 7 rays.
Distinguishing characteristics: The freshwater drum can be distinguished by its rounded/square/triangular tail, its steep head profile, and its pelvic fins with the first ray elongated into a filament. See also similar species information.
Breeding adults : Similar to non-breeders.
Juveniles: Similar to adults, but tail more triangular (pointed ) in shape.
Males are commonly 45 cm (Total Length) in length when caught/marketed, but may be as large as 95 cm (Total Length).
Occurs in bottoms of medium to large rivers and lakes .
Biome: Marine .
Feeds on mollusks, benthic crustaceans, and insects.
Known to produce sound .
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Bateson, 1885
- Cuvier, 1812
- Jawed Vertebrates
- Huxley, 1880
- Huxley, 1880
- Order: Perciformes () -
- Superorder: Acanthopterygii ()
- Cohort: Clupeocephala ()
- Infraclass: Actinopteri ()
- Subclass: Actinopterygii ()
- Class: Osteichthyes () - Huxley, 1880
- Superclass: Osteichthyes () - Huxley, 1880
- Infraphylum: Gnathostomata () - auct. - Jawed Vertebrates
- Subphylum: Vertebrata () - Cuvier, 1812 - Vertebrates
- Phylum: Chordata () - Bateson, 1885 - Chordates
- Infrakingdom: Chordonia () - (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Deuterostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Aplidonotus grunniens Rafinesque • Corvina richardsoni Cuvier • Corvina richardsonii Cuvier • Sciaena grisea Lesueur • Sciaena oscula Lesueur
Status: Accepted Name
First described: Rafinesque, C.S . J. Phys. Chim. Hist. Nat. Arts 89: 96., 1819.
Last scrutiny: Data last modified by FishBase 07-Jul-2000
Fish Name Tail Shape Head Profile Pelvic Fins Similarity Index Freshwater Drum Rounded/square/triangular Steep 1st ray elongated into a filament N/A White Perch Forked Rounded No filament Moderately similar
Members of the genus Aplodinotus
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 1 species and subspecies in this genus:
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- ... The fishes of Illinois, [Danville, Ill.]Pub. by authority of the State Legislature url , .
- ... The fishes of Illinois, by Stephen Alfred Forbes. .. and Robert Earl Richardson, A.M. [Danville, Ill.]: Pub. by authority of the state Legislature,  url , p. 2, p. 323.
- ... The genera of fishes. .. A contribution to the stability of scientific nomenclature. By David Starr Jordan. Stanford University, Calif., The University, 1917-1920. url p. 110, p. 304, p. 386.
- 1990-1991 annual progress report, long-term Illinois River fish population monitoring program / Richard E. Sparks and K. Douglas Blodgett. Havana, Ill.: Illinois Natural History Survey, River Research Laboratory of the Forbes Biological Station, 1991. url p. 26, p. 36, p. 50.
- A biological survey of the Genesee river system. Supplemental to Sixteenth annual report, 1926. Albany, J. B. Lyon company, printers, 1927. url p. 65.
- A biological survey of the sand dune region on the south shore of Saginaw Bay, Michigan. Prepared under the direction of Alexander G. Ruthven. Lansing, Mich.: Wynkoop, Hallenbeck, Crawford co., state printers, 1911. url p. 255.
- A distributional atlas of Upper Mississippi River fishes / [by] Philip W. Smith, Alvin C. Lopinot [and] William L. Pflieger. Urbana: [s. n.]; 1971. url p. 10, p. 20.
- A guide to the study of fishes, by David Starr Jordan. .. New York, H. Holt and Company, 1905. url p. 291, p. 354.
- A list of common and scientific names of fishes from the United States and Canada. Report presented at the eighty-ninth annual meeting, Clearwater, Fla., Sept. 16-18, 1959. Ann Arbor, Mich., 1960. url p. 31.
- A list of the fishes of Pennsylvania / by Henry W. Fowler. Washington, D.C.: Biological Society of Washington, 1919 url p. 71.
- A manual of land and fresh water vertebrate animals of the United States (exclusive of birds) by Henry Sherring Pratt. .. Philadelphia, P. Blakiston's Son & Co., inc.[c1935] url p. 130.
- A manual of the vertebrate animals of the northern United States: including the district north and east of the Ozark mountains, south of the Laurentian hills, north of the southern boundary of Virginia, and east of the Missouri river, inclusive of marine species / Chicago:A. C. McClurg, 1916. url .
- A plan for an educational exhibit of fishes. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1910. url p. 1336.
- A preliminary report of the fishes of Minnesota. .. Saint Paul, Minn., 1897. url .
- A synoptic list of the fishes known to occur within fifty miles of Chicago, by S. E. Meeks and S. F. Hildebrand. Chicago, 1910. url p. 335.
- Adult and juvenile fish populations near the D.C. Cook Nuclear Power Plant Southeastern Lake Michigan, during preoperational (1973-74) and operational (1975-79) years / Ann Arbor, Mich.: Great Lakes Research Division, the University of Michigan, 1985. url p. 8.
- Adult and juvenile fish, ichthyoplankton and benthos populations in the vicinity of the J. H. Campbell Power Plant, eastern Lake Michigan, 1977 / Ann Arbor, Mich.: Great Lakes Research Division, University of Michigan, 1978. url p. 56.
- Adult, Juvenile, and larval fish populations in the vicinity of the James H. Campbell Plant, 1981: with special reference to the effectiveness of wedge-wire intake screens in reducing entrainment and impringement of fish / Ann Arbor, Mich.: Great Lakes Research Division, University of Michigan, 1982. url p. 79.
- Allan Hancock Pacific expeditions. [Reports] Los Angeles, University of Southern California Press. url p. 52.
- American fishes; a popular treatise upon the game and food fishes of North America, with especial reference to habits and methods of capture, Boston, L. C. Page[c1903]. url .
- American food and game fishes. A popular account of all the species found in America north of the equator, with keys for ready identification, life histories and methods of capture, . by David Starr Jordan...and Barton Warren Evermann...illustrated with colored plates and text drawings, and with photographs from life, by A. Radclyffe Dugmore. Garden City, N.Y., Doubleday, Page & Co., 1908. url p. 467, p. 548.
- American food and game fishes: A popular account of all the species found in America north of the equator, with keys of ready identification, life histories and methods of capture New York: Doubleday, Page & co., 1902. url , .
- American food and game fishes: a popular account of all the species found in America, north of the equator, with keys for ready identification, life histories and methods of capture, by David Starr Jordan and Barton Warren Evermann; with photos. from life by A. Radclyffe Dugmore. New York: Doubleday, Page, 1908, c1902. url p. 467, p. 548.
- An ecological study of southern Wisconsin fishes; the brook silversides (Labidesthes sicculus) and the cisco (Leucichthys artedi) in their relations to the region, Urbana, Ill., The University of Illinois, c1927 url p. 57, p. 59.
- Animal Ecology. Englewood Cliffs, N.J., Prentice-Hall, 1961. url p. 454.
- Animal communities in temperate America: as illustrated in the Chicago region; a study in animal ecology / by Victor E. Shelford. .. Chicago, Ill.: Published for the Geographic Society of Chicago by the University of Chicago Press, [c1937] url p. 355.
- Annals of the Lyceum of Natural History of New York. New-York: 1824-1876. url p. 318, p. 319, p. 412.
- Annual report / New York State Museum. Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, c1904-1920. url p. 590.
- Annual report of the Board of Regents of the Smithsonian Institution. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, -1965. url p. 34, p. 377, p. 385, p. 604.
- Annual report of the Commissioner of Fisheries to the Secretary of Commerce for the fiscal year ended. .. Washington: G.P.O., 1914-1940. url p. 25, p. 30, p. 37, p. 39, p. 52, p. 6, p. 7, p. 8, p. 8.
- Annual report of the Ohio State Academy of Science. Columbus: The Academy, 1893-1930. url p. 103.
- Aquatic community classification and ecosystem diversity in Montana's Missouri River watershed / [Helena, Mont.:Montana Natural Heritage Program, c2005. url .
- Bass, pike, perch and other game fishes of America, Cincinnati, Stewart & Kidd Company, 1919. url , , , .
- Bass, pike, perch and others / by James A. Henshall. New York: Macmillan, 1903. url , .
- Bass, pike, perch and others, by James A. Henshall. London, The Macmillan company, 1903. url , p. 232, p. 401.
- Bass, pike, perch, and others, London, Macmillan, 1903. url , .
- Bio-ecology, by Frederic E. Clements. .. and Victor E. Shelford. .. New York, J. Wiley & Sons, inc.;1939. url p. 300, p. 306.
- Biologia centrali-americana. Pisces. [London, Pub. for the editor by R. H. Porter]1906-08. url .
- Biological series. TorontoUniversity Press [etc.]1898-1956. url p. 59, p. 72.
- Book of the black bass / Cincinnati: The Robert Clarke co., 1904. url .
- Breviora. 1982 Cambridge, Mass.: Museum of Comparative Zoology, Harvard University, [1952- url p. 16.
- Bulletin - New York State Museum. Albany: New York State Education Dept. url p. 590.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url p. 1484, p. 15.
- Bulletin / Illinois Natural History Survey. Urbana, State of Illinois, Dept. of Registration and Education, Natural History Survey Division, 1918-1985. url , p. 113, p. 218, p. 288, p. 375, p. 376, p. 391, p. 418, p. 45, p. 490, p. 495, p. 500, p. 505, p. 580, p. 617, p. 635, p. 94, p. 96.
- Bulletin / University of Montana. Missoula: University of Montana, 1901-1910. url p. 5.
- Bulletin of the Bureau of Fisheries. Washington, D.C.: Govt. Print. Off., 1905-1950. url p. 120, p. 1336, p. 156, p. 156, p. 196, p. 226, p. 228, p. 321, p. 331, p. 333, p. 335, p. 342, p. 361, p. 366, p. 77, p. 90, p. 90.
- Bulletin of the Essex Institute. Salem, Mass.: Essex Institute. url p. 39.
- Bulletin of the Illinois State Laboratory of Natural History. Bloomington, Ill.: The Laboratory, 1876-1918. url p. 136, p. 437, p. 506, p. 511, p. 511, p. 512, p. 512, p. 513, p. 513, p. 516, p. 516, p. 517, p. 519, p. 519, p. 524, p. 524, p. 531, p. 616, p. 616, p. 635, p. 635.
- Bulletin of the U.S. Department of Agriculture. [Washington, D.C.?]: Supt. of Docs., G.P.O., 1913-1923. url p. 11.
- California fish and game. [San Francisco, etc.]: State of California, Resources Agency, Dept. of Fish and Game. url p. 255, p. 5.
- Canadian fisherman. Gardenvale, Que. [etc.]National Business Publications [etc.] url p. 638.
- Catalogue and bibliography of the fresh water fishes of the Americas south of the Tropic of Cancer / by Carl H. Eigenmann. Lancaster, Pa.: Press of the New Era Printing Co., 1910. url p. 467.
- Catalogue of the fishes of New York / by Tarleton H. Bean. Albany: University of the state of New York, 1903. url p. 590.
- Check list of the fishes of the Dominion of Canada and Newfoundland. Ottawa, Printed by C. H. Parmelee, 1913. url , , , .
- Color and color-pattern mechanism of tiger beetles, with twenty-nine black and three colored plates, by Victor E. Shelford. Urbana, Ill., University of Illinois, 1917 url p. 339.
- Commercial fisheries review. [Washington]: National Marine Fisheries Service; [for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off.] url p. 10, p. 14, p. 14, p. 14, p. 17, p. 20, p. 24, p. 28, p. 32.
- Commissioners' report. Toronto: Printed by Warwick & sons, 1892. url p. 456.
- Copepod parasites of fresh-water fishes and their economic relations to mussel glochidia. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1916. url p. 342, p. 366.
- Current bibliography for aquatic sciences and fisheries. London, Taylor & Francis ltd. url p. 101, p. 251, p. 270, p. 280, p. 38, p. 465, p. 69, p. 718.
- Dean bibliography of fishes. New York: American Museum of Natural History, 1971-1973. url p. 169, p. 170, p. 238, p. 249, p. 251, p. 263, p. 263, p. 265, p. 272, p. 280, p. 283, p. 290, p. 291, p. 301, p. 302, p. 303, p. 327, p. 328, p. 334, p. 453, p. 493, p. 540, p. 563, p. 566, p. 571, p. 595, p. 602, p. 61, p. 610, p. 611, p. 613, p. 637, p. 640, p. 649, p. 665, p. 671, p. 677, p. 690, p. 709, p. 733, p. 744, p. 745.
- Descriptive catalogue of North American Hepaticae, north of Mexico. by Lucien M. Underwood, PH. D. Peoria, Ill., J. W. Franks & sons, 1884 url p. 510, p. 511, p. 512, p. 513, p. 516, p. 517, p. 519, p. 524, p. 525, p. 531.
- Descriptive list of the fishes of Lorain County, Ohio / by Lewis M. McCormick. Oberlin, Ohio: Oberlin College, 1892. url .
- Distribution and abundance of fishes and invertebrates in Gulf of Mexico estuaries / project team, David M. Nelson (editor). .. [et al.]. Rockville, Md.: U.S. Dept. of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, National Ocean Service, - url p. 35.
- Ecological animal geography; an authorized, rewritten edition based on Tiergeographie auf ockologischer grundlage / by Richard Hesse. .. prepared by W. C. Allee. .. and Karl P. Schmidt. .. New York: J. Wiley & Sons, Inc.; 1937. url p. 130, p. 559.
- Environmental inventory and assessment of Navigation Pools 24, 25, and 26, Upper Mississippi and Lower Illinois Rivers: an electrofishing survey of the Illinois River / Richard E. Sparks. [Urbana, Ill.: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Water Resources Center], 1977. url p. 3, p. 35, p. 6, p. 88.
- Experiments in propagation of freshwater mussels of the Quadrula group. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1914. url p. 25, p. 25, p. 30, p. 30, p. 37, p. 37, p. 39, p. 39, p. 52, p. 52.
- Familiar fish, their habits and capture; a practical book on fresh-water game fish, New York, D. Appleton and company, 1900. url .
- Field book of giant fishes, by J. R. Norman and F. C. Fraser. With 8 plates in full color and over 100 drawings by W. P. C. Tenison. New York, G. P. Putnam url p. 132, index, page 350.
- Fish and Wildlife Habitat Changes Resulting from Construction of a Nine-Foot Channel on Pools 24, 25, and 26 of the Mississippi River and the Lower Illinois River, Ft. BelvoirDefense Technical Information CenterAPR 1979. url p. 177, p. 245, p. 445.
- Fish skulls; a study of the evolution of natural mechanisms. Laurel, Fla., E. Lundberg, 1959. url p. 253.
- Fish, wildlife and recreational values of Michigan's coastal wetlands / Twin Cities, Minn.: U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Region III, 1978. url p. 114.
- Fisheries of the United States, 1908. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1911. url p. 310, p. 313, p. 316, p. 9.
- Fishery bulletin / U.S. Dept. of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, National Marine Fisheries Service. Washington, D.C.: The Service: url p. 197, p. 930.
- Fishery bulletin. United States Fish and Wildlife Service. Washington, The Service, U.S. Govt Print. Off. url p. 266, p. 415, p. 490, p. 687, p. 688, p. 9.
- Fishery circular / U.S. Department of Commerce, Bureau of Fisheries. [Washington]: The Bureau, 1931-1939. url p. 104, p. 16, p. 17, p. 4, p. 53, p. 7, p. 8.
- Fishery statistics of the United States / prepared by Data Management and Statistics Division. Washington, D.C.: Dept. of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, National Marine Fisheries Service: url p. 283, p. 401, p. 434, p. 436, p. 443, p. 465, p. 466, p. 499, p. 506, p. 518, p. 555, p. 655, p. 732.
- Fishes and fishing; Saint Paul? Minn., c1907 url p. 103.
- Fishes in Kansas / Frank B. Cross, Joseph T. Collins; foreword by John E. Hayes, Jr. Lawrence, Kan.: University of Kansas Natural History Museum: c1995. url p. 244, p. 307, p. xvii.
- Fishes of Canada's national capital region = Poissons de la région de la capitale du Canada / Ottawa: Dept. of the Environment, Fisheries and Marine Service, 1974. url p. 10, p. 12, p. 172, p. 193, p. 195.
- Fishes of northern Ontario, north of the Albany River / Toronto: Royal Ontario Museum, c1964 url p. 30, p. 7.
- Fresh water fishes and their ecology, by Stephen A. Forbes. [Urbana, Ill.]1914. url .
- Fresh-water mussels and mussel industries of the United States. Washington: Govt. print. off., 1919. url p. 30.
- How to collect shells, a symposium. Marinette, Wis.]1961. url p. 42.
- Ichthyologia ohiensis; or, Natural history of the fishes inhabiting the river Ohio and its tributary streams, Cleveland, The Burrows Brothers, 1899. url , .
- Illinois River Bluffs area assessment / Illinois Department of Natural Resources, Office of Scientific Research and Analysis, [and the] State Geological Survey Division. Springfield, Ill.: Illinois Dept. of Natural Resources, 1998- url p. 116, p. 119.
- Illinois biological monographs. Urbana, Univ. of Illinois Press. url p. 339.
- Index to volume I, numbers 1 to 17. 1 1900 Chicago: Field Columbian Museum, 1900. url p. 315.
- International catalogue of scientific literature. LondonPublished for the International Council by the Royal Society of London1901-1920 url p. 47.
- International review of the science and practice of agriculture. Rome: International Institute of Agriculture, Bureau of Agricultural Intelligence and Plant Diseases, 1916-1926. url p. 1807.
- Investigations in fish control. Washington: U.S. Dept. of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service. url p. 2, p. 4, p. 7.
- Journal of ethnobiology. 7 1987 Flagstaff, Ariz.: Center for Western Studies, 1981- url p. 213.
- Journal of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. 16 1915 Philadelphia: Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia, 1817-1918. url p. 374, p. 377.
- Journal of the Kentucky Academy of Science. Lexington, KY: The Academy, 1998- url p. 127, p. 60.
- Journal of the Royal Microscopical Society. Oxford [etc.]Royal Microscopical Society. url p. 355, p. 356.
- Kankakee River fishes of the Braidwood station aquatic monitoring area, August 1988 / [Champaign], Ill.: Illinois Natural History Survey, Jan. 1989. url p. 23.
- Management of artificial lakes and ponds. New York, Reinhold Pub. Corp. url p. 268.
- Manual of the vertebrate animals of the northern U.S.. .. inclusive of the marine species. Chicago, McClurg, 1894, c1876-88. url .
- Maps showing distribution of Illinois fishes to accompany a report on the fishes of Illinois / by Stephen Alfred Forbes, and Robert Earl Richardson. Springfield, Ill.: State of Illinois; 1919. url p. 203.
- Marine products of commerce; their acquisition, handling, biological aspects, and the science and techology of their preparation and preservation, by Donald K. Tressler and James McW. Lemon in collaboration with Alexander E. Alexander [and others] New York, Book Division, Reinhold, 1951. url p. 296.
- Middle Missouri River native species creel survey: final report: 2005 and 2006 field season / [Helena, MT: Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks, March 2007]. url .
- Miscellaneous papers on the zoology of Michigan. Prepared under the direction of Alexander G. Ruthven, chief naturalist; pub. as a part of the Annual report of the Board of geological survey for 1915. Lansing, Mich., W. H. Crawford Co., state printers, 1916. url p. 156, p. 156.
- Miscellaneous publication - University of Kansas, Museum of Natural History. 1962 Lawrence: University of Kansas, 1946-1996. url p. 116, fig. 31, page 131, p. 180, p. 217, p. 24, p. 27, p. 324, p. 347.
- Monogenetic trematodes: their systematics and phylogeny / by Boris E. Bychowsky; edited by William J. Hargis, Jr.; translated by Pierre C. Oustinoff. Washington, D.C.: American Institute of Biological Sciences, c1961. url p. 222, p. 608.
- NOAA technical report NMFS SSRF. Seattle, Wash.: National Marine Fisheries Service; url p. 1, p. 6.
- Name that animal; a guide to the identification of the common land and fresh-water animals of the United States, with special reference to the area east of the Rockies. With drawings by Olive Driver. Northampton? Mass., 1950 url p. 301.
- Natural history and propagation of fresh-water mussels. By R. E. Coker, A. F. Shira, H. W. Clark, and A. D. Howard. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1921. url p. 120, p. 156, p. 90.
- North American freshwater leeches, exclusive of the Piscicolidae, with a key to all species Urbana, University of Illinois Press url p. 73.
- Northern fishes: with special reference to the Upper Mississippi Valley / [by] Samuel Eddy and Thaddeus Surber. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press,  url , p. 247.
- Notes on the natural hosts of fresh-water mussels. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1913. url p. 103, p. 105, p. 108, p. 116.
- Occasional papers / Tulane University, Museum of Natural History. 1994 [Belle Chasse, La.]: The Museum, 1977- url p. 25.
- Occasional papers of the California Academy of Sciences. San Francisco: California Academy of Sciences, url p. 15.
- On some collections of fishes made in the Kankakee and Illinois Rivers [by] O. P. Hay. 1 1896 Chicago, 1896 url p. 97.
- Our living resources: a report to the nation on the distribution, abundance, and health of U.S. plants, animals, and ecosystems / [edited by], Edward T. LaRoe. .. [et al.]. Washington, DC: U.S. Dept. of the Interior, National Biological Service, 1995. url p. 495.
- Pamphlets on forestry. Fish and game. [1900?- url , p. 1457, p. 1484.
- Pesticides monitoring journal. [Washington, D.C.: For sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. G.P.O., 1967-1981. url p. 171, p. 23, p. 233.
- Proceedings and papers of the National fishery congress, held at Tampa, Florida, January 19-24, 1898. .. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1898. url , p. 213.
- Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia, Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia url p. 104, p. 104, p. 353, p. 353, p. 50, p. 579, p. 680, p. 680, p. 85, p. 85, p. 96, p. 96.
- Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington. Washington, Biological Society of Washington url p. 110, p. 110, p. 121, p. 121, p. 217, p. 281, p. 46, p. 47, p. 63, p. 71.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url , p. 10, p. 14, p. 16, p. 174, p. 21, p. 24, p. 588, p. 663, p. 666, p. 689.
- Proceedings of the Washington Academy of Sciences. Washington, Washington Academy of Sciences. url p. 487, p. 52.
- Proceedings of the third USA-USSR symposium on the effects of pollutants upon aquatic ecosystems. Duluth, Minn.: U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, 1980. url p. 196.
- Propagation and distribution of fishes from national fish hatcheries for the fiscal year. .. / prepared by the Division of Fish Hatcheries, Bureau of Sport Fisheries and Wildlife. [Washington, D.C.]: U.S. Dept. of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service, Bureau of Sport Fisheries and Wildlife, url p. 72, p. 82.
- Publication. Field Columbian Museum. Chicago, U.S.A.: The Museum, 1895-1909. url p. 335.
- Rapid assessment of water quality using the fingernail clam, Musculium transversum: final report / by Kevin B. Anderson and Richard E. Sparks (Illinois Natural History Survey, River Research Laboratory) and Anthony A. Paparo (School of Medicine and Department of Zoology, Southern Illinois Universit Urbana: University of Illinois, Water Resources Center, 1978. url p. 2.
- Report of the Bureau of Fisheries / Department of Commerce and Labor. Washington: G.P.O., 1905. url p. 167.
- Report of the Commissioner for. .. / United States Commission of Fish and Fisheries. Washington: G.P.O., 1874-1905. url , , , , , , p. 107, p. 216, p. 216, p. 219, p. 225, p. 262, p. 287, p. 287, p. 310, p. 329, p. 341, p. 341, p. 353, p. 362, p. 402, p. 402, p. 407, p. 407, p. 423, p. 436, p. 436, p. 437, p. 437, p. 445, p. 445, p. 446, p. 477, p. 477, p. 611, p. 831, p. 881, p. 933.
- Report of the Commissioner of Fisheries for the fiscal year. .. and special papers Washington: G.P.O., 1906-1914. url p. 9.
- Report of the Geological Survey of Ohio. Columbus, Nevins & Myers, state printers, 1873-93. url , .
- Report of the State Commissioners of Fisheries for the year. .. [Harrisburg: The Commissioners]: 187_-1899. url .
- Report of the United States Commissioner of Fisheries for the fiscal year. .. with appendixes Washington: G.P.O., 1914- url p. 1060, p. 1061, p. 194, p. 198, p. 227, p. 25, p. 276, p. 327, p. 34, p. 345, p. 351, p. 352, p. 367, p. 432, p. 44, p. 458, p. 492, p. 53, p. 533, p. 535, p. 544, p. 552, p. 557, p. 617, p. 630, p. 686, p. 7, p. 8, p. 8, p. 9.
- Report. Springfield, 1880- url p. 30, p. 72.
- Reports of the Princeton University Expeditions to Patagonia, 1896-1899. J. B. Hatcher in charge. Edited by William B. Scott. Princeton, The University, 1901-32 [v. 1, 1903] url p. 467, p. 467, p. 467.
- Rock River area assessment / Illinois Department of Natural Resources, Office of Scientific Research and Analysis, Natural History Survey Division, in conjunction with State Geological Survey Division. Springfield, IL: Illinois Dept. of Natural Resources, 1996- url p. 102, p. 138.
- Science sketches, by David Starr Jordan. Chicago, A.C. McClurg and Company, 1888. url p. 108, p. 94.
- Science. New York, N.Y.: [s.n.]1880- url p. 323.
- Smithsonian miscellaneous collections. 24 1883 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1862-1968. url p. 567.
- Some considerations on the distribution of fishes in Ontario. [Toronto]: Printed by the University of Toronto Press, 1944. url p. 106, p. 113, p. 46, p. 7.
- Special papers / Ohio Academy of Sciences. Columbus, Ohio: The Academy, 1899-1929. url p. 103.
- Special scientific report. Seattle, National Marine Fisheries Service; for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off., 1949-1971. url p. 14, p. 15, p. 17, p. 27, p. 3, p. 34, p. 34, p. 39, p. 4, p. 48, p. 5, p. 6.
- Studies in natural history. Iowa City, Ia. url p. 7.
- Studies on North American Polystomidae, Aspidogastridae, and Paramphistomidae, with eleven plates, by Horace Wesley Stunkard. Urbana, University of Illinois, 1917 url p. 59.
- Studies on some protozoan parasites of fishes of Illinois; Urbana, Ill., University of Illinois, 1934 url p. 13.
- Syllogeus. Ottawa, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1972-1995. url p. 21, p. 91.
- Technical publication / New York State College of Forestry at Syracuse University. Syracuse, N.Y.: The College, 1914- url p. 197, p. 222, p. 348.
- The Biological bulletin. Woods Hole, Mass.: Marine Biological Laboratory, url p. 181.
- The Bulletin of zoological nomenclature. London, International Trust for Zoological Nomenclature. url p. 36, p. 77.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. 66 1952 Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url title page, index , title page, index , , p. 10, p. 121, p. 122, p. 123, p. 125, p. 172, p. 177, p. 183, p. 21, p. 210, p. 230, p. 437, p. 525, p. 619, p. 651, p. 654, p. 726, p. 734, p. 744, p. 746, p. 759, p. 84, p. 89, p. 98.
- The Great Basin naturalist. 36 1976 Provo, Utah: M.L. Bean Life Science Museum, Brigham Young University, 1939-1999. url p. 336.
- The Journal of the Cincinnati Society of Natural History. Cincinnati: The Society, 1878/79 [i.e. 1878 or 1879]-1945. url p. 80.
- The Nautilus. Melbourne, Fla., etc., American Malacologists, inc., etc. url p. 20.
- The Trematoda of British fishes. London, Sold by B. Quaritch, 1947. url p. 12, p. 331.
- The U. S. commission of fish and fisheries and its exhibit at the Louisiana purchase exposition, St. Louis, Mo., 1904. Washington, D.C., Press of Gibson Bros. url p. 29.
- The United States Bureau of Fisheries, its establishment, functions, organization, resources, operations, and achievements. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1910. url p. 1373.
- The changing Illinois environment: critical trends: technical report of the Critical Trends Assessment Project. Springfield, Ill.: Ill. Dept. of Energy and Natural Resources, 1994. url p. 157, p. 164, p. 185.
- The distribution and food of the fishes of three Wisconsin lakes in summer. By A. S. Pearse. Madison, 1921. url p. 11, p. 29.
- The ecology and economics of Oneida Lake fish / by Charles C. Adams and T.L. Hankinson. Syracuse, N.Y.: Roosevelt Wild Life Forest Experiment Station, c1928. url p. 276, p. 324.
- The ecology of delta marshes of coastal Louisiana: a community profile / by James G. Gosselink. Washington, DC: National Coastal Ecosystems Team, Division of Biological Services, Research Development, Fish and Wildlife Service, U.S. Dept. of the Interior: 1984. url p. 125.
- The fishes of Champaign County, Illinois: during a century of alterations of a prairie ecosystem / Champaign, IL: Illinois Natural History Survey, 1996. url p. 123, p. 183, p. 67.
- The fishes of Illinois / Stephen Alfred Forbes and Robert Earl Richardson. [Springfield, Ill.]Published by authority of the State of Illinois, 1920. url , , p. 323.
- The fishes of Illinois / by Stephen Alfred Forbes and Robert Earl Richardson. [Springfield, Ill.: Illinois State Journal Co.], 1919-1920. url p. 323, p. ix, p. xii.
- The fishes of North and Middle America: a descriptive catalogue of the species of fish-like vertebrates found in the waters of North America, north of the Isthmus of Panama / by David Starr Jordan and Barton Warren Evermann. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, United States National Museum, 1896-1900. url p. 1484.
- The fishes of Pennsylvania: with descriptions of the species and notes on their common names, distribution, habits, reproduction, rate of growth and mode of capture / by Tarleton H. Bean. Harrisburg, Pa.: E.K. Meyers, 1893. url p. 135.
- The fishes of the Indo-Australian Archipelago. .. by Dr. Max Weber. .. and Dr. L.F. de Beaufort. Leiden, E.J. Brill, Ltd., 1911- url p. 71.
- The fishes of the Ottawa region / [Toronto: Royal Ontario Museum of Zoology], 1939. url p. 1, p. 40.
- The food and game fishes of New York: notes on their common names, distribution, habits and mode of capture. By Tarleton H. Bean. Albany, J. B. Lyon company, printers, 1903. url p. 435.
- The fresh-water fishes of Mexico north of the isthmus of Tehuantepec. 5 1904 Chicago, 1904. url fig. 65 , p. 202, p. 202, p. 203, p. 203, p. 238, p. 238.
- The game fishes of the world / London; Hodder and Stoughton, . url .
- The genera of fishes. ..: A contribution to the stability of scientific nomenclature / By David Starr Jordan. Stanford University, Calif.: The University, 1917-1920. url p. 110, p. 304, p. 386.
- The lipids, their chemistry and biochemistry. New York, Interscience Publishers, 1951-57. url p. 646, p. 906.
- The long-term Illinois River fish population monitoring program, F-101-R-8: annual report / Todd M. Koel, et al. Havana, Ill.: Illinois Natural History Survey, Illinois River Biological Station, 1997. url p. 32.
- The molluscan family Planorbidae / by Frank Collins Baker. Collation, revision, and additions by Harley Jones Van Cleave. Urbana: The University of Illinois Press, 1945. url p. 19.
- Transactions of the Illinois State Academy of Science. Springfield, Ill., Illinois State Academy of Science [etc.] url .
- Transactions of the Kentucky Academy of Science. [Lexington, Ky.]Kentucky Academy of Science, 1923-1997. url , p. 1, p. 10, p. 103, p. 107, p. 11, p. 113, p. 115, p. 118, p. 120, p. 130, p. 131, p. 134, p. 144, p. 145, p. 147, p. 152, p. 154, p. 155, p. 161, p. 166, p. 171, p. 171, p. 189, p. 190, p. 193, p. 196, p. 21, p. 22, p. 231, p. 26, p. 3, p. 4, p. 5, p. 51, p. 53, p. 58, p. 60, p. 66, p. 68, p. 7, p. 7, p. 79, p. 8, p. 8, p. 83, p. 87, p. 89, p. 9, p. 9, p. 98.
- Transactions of the San Diego Society of Natural History. 18 1977 [San Diego]: The Society, 1905-1989. url p. 271, p. 330.
- Transactions. Columbus, Ohio [etc.] url p. 60.
- Tulane studies in zoology and botany. 24 1983 New Orleans: Tulane University, [1968- url , p. 133, p. 150, p. 91.
- University of Kansas publications, Museum of Natural History. 17 1966 Lawrence, University of Kansas. url p. 161, p. 318, p. 383, p. 385, p. 389, p. 401, p. 430, p. 442, p. 561, p. 613, p. 63, p. 79.
- Value of mussel beds to sport fisheries, Project F-80-R: final report / Philip B. Moy and Richard E. Sparks. Havana, Ill.: Illinois Natural History Survey, Center for Aquatic Ecology,  url p. 152, p. 9.
- Vertebrates of Ontario, by C. W. Nash. Department of Education, Toronto. Printed by order of the Legislative Assembly of Ontario Toronto, L. K. Cameron, 1908 url p. 100.
- Vertebrates of Ontario. TorontoPrint. by order of the Legislative Assembly of Ontario by L.K. Cameron1908 url p. 100.
- Zoological series / Geological and Natural History Survey of Minnesota. Minneapolis: Geological and Natural History Survey, 1892-1912. url p. 31, p. 56, p. 92.
- Zoological series. Minneapolis [etc.]1892-1912. url p. 31, p. 33, p. 56, p. 92.
- American Fisheries Society. Common and Scientific Names of Fishes from the United states, Canada, and Mexico Sixth Edition. Special Publication 29.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 10, 2012.
- FishBase. Release date: January 5, 2010
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility. Accessed March 01, 2008. http://www.gbif.org Mediated distribution data from 12 providers.
- Lyons, John. WiscFish.org University of Wisconsin, Center for Limnology, Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources, University of Wisconsin Sea Grant. Provided photos, physical description, and table comparing similar species.
- Ruggiero M., Gordon D., Bailly N., Kirk P., Nicolson D. (2011). The Catalogue of Life Taxonomic Classification, Edition 2, Part A. In: Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2011 Annual Checklist (Bisby F.A., Roskov Y.R., Orrell T.M., Nicolson D., Paglinawan L.E., Bailly N., Kirk P.M., Bourgoin T., Baillargeon G., Ouvrard D., eds). DVD; Species 2000: Reading, UK.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal March 01, 2008:
- Canadian Museum of Nature: Canadian Museum of Nature Fish Collection
- FishBase: FishBase DiGIR Provider - Philippine Server
- GBIF-Sweden: Fishes (NRM)
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: Canadian Museum of Nature - Fish Collection (OBIS Canada)
- Marine Science Institute, UCSB: Paleobiology Database
- Museum national d'histoire naturelle: Ichtyologie
- Museum of Comparative Zoology, Harvard University: MCZ Fish Collection
- Royal Ontario Museum: Fish specimens
- Senckenberg: Collection Pisces
- Sternberg Museum of Natural History: Fish Collection
- UNIBIO, IBUNAM: CNPE/Coleccion Nacional de Peces
- University of Kansas Biodiversity Research Center: Fish Collection
- University of Minnesota Bell Museum of Natural History: Fish specimens
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 120334
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: Fis-29658
- Fishbase Species ID: 3577
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 14339653
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 169364
- Natural Heritage Network Species Identifier: AFCQH01010
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 15792
- Wheeler, A. (1977). Das grosse Buch der Fische. Eugen Ulmer GmbH & Co. Stuttgart. 356 p. [back]