Family : Herrings , shads , sardines , menhadens ; Movement of schooling adults apparently restricted to coastal areas proximal to natal estuaries . They migrate up rivers and even small streams to spawn in lakes and quiet stretches of rivers, then return to sea shortly after spawning; landlocked populations also ascend affluent rivers and streams. Larvae remain in vicinity of spawning grounds , forming schools at sizes less than 10 mm TL , within one to two weeks after hatching , then descend in summer and autumn or even as late as November or December. Feed on shrimps and small fishes ; the young on diatoms , copepods and ostracods while in rivers. Utilized fresh, dried or salted, smoked and frozen; eaten fried. Also used for crab and lobster bait and sometimes for pet food (Ref. 9988). Parasites found are Acanthocephala, cestodes, trematodes and copepods. Overfishing , pollution and impassable dams cause the decline of stocks.
Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Catalan:
Common Names in Czech:
Placka Atlantick, Placka atlantická, Placka Velkook, Placka velkooká
Common Names in Danish:
Flodsild, Majsild, Stamsild
Common Names in Davawenyo:
Common Names in Dutch:
Amerikaanse Rivierharing, Bastaardelft, Meivis, Rivierharing
Common Names in English:
alewife, Anadromous alewives, bigeye herring, branch herring, Clipped roefish, Corned alewives, Freshwater herring, Gaspereau, Glut Herring, Golden Shad, gray herring, grayback, Grey Herring, Greyback, Kiack, kyack, Kyak, Mulhaden, River Goby, River herring, Sawbelly, Shad, Spreau, White herring
Common Names in Finnish:
Common Names in French:
Alose gaspareau, Gapareau, gaspareau, Gasparot, Gaspereau, Gasperot
Common Names in German:
Maifisch, Nordamerikanischer Flu, Nordamerikanischer Flußhering
Common Names in Greek:
Frissa, Sardellom, Sardellomána
Common Names in Greek, Modern:
Common Names in Greek, Modern (1453):
Common Names in Icelandic:
Common Names in Italian:
Alaccia, Alosa, Falsa aringa atlantica, Falsa-aringa atlantica
Common Names in Kotoko:
Common Names in Mandarin Chinese:
淡水大眼鯡, 淡水大眼鲱, 灰西鯡, 灰西鲱
Common Names in Norwegian:
Common Names in Polish:
Aloza wielkooka a. aloza teczowa
Common Names in Portuguese:
Alosa cinzenta, Alosa-cinzenta
Common Names in Rumanian:
Hering de primavara
Common Names in Russian:
Bol´sheglazyi Pomolob, Bol'sheglazyi pomolob, сероспинка
Common Names in Serbian:
Common Names in Spanish:
Common Names in Swedish:
Species Alosa pseudoharengus
and Snout: Slightly superior, upturned, very large obvious
extending almost to the middle
of the eye. There are 41-44
closely spaced gill rakers. The teeth are very small and negligible.
. Body Pattern
: The body and fins
are solid silver. Some
individuals have a diffuse
dark spot just behind
the opercle. Numerous
. Body Shape
: Laterally compressed
, with obvious scales
that are vertically elongated. Typical adult
size is 125-200 mm TL
with a maximum in the Great Lakes
region of about 250 mm.
One single dorsal fin with 13-14 rays and without an elongated last ray located in the middle of the back. The anal fin has 17-18 rays, and the tail is deeply forked . The pelvic fins are abdominal with axillary processes and located just below the dorsal fin. The origin of pelvic fins is even with or slightly behind the origin of the dorsal fin.
Distinguishing Characteristics: Members of the herring family in Wisconsin have a keel-like belly with projecting scales that it a saw-tooth texture . The alewife has a large, upturned maxillary with teeth weak or absent on jaws and none on the tongue. Dorsal fin typically 13-14 rays, no elongated rays, and origin forward of origin of pelvic rays; typiclally 17-18 anal fin rays. 41-44 gill rakers on first gill arch; no gular membrane ; no lateral line, and 42-50 scales in lateral series. See also similar species information.
Breeding Adults: Same.
Juveniles are more elongate and not as deep-bodied as adults.
Males are commonly 30 cm (Standard Length) in length when caught/marketed, but may be as large as 40 cm (Standard Length).
May be found at depths of 5 to 145 meters.
Biome: Marine .
Sound types : swimming noise.
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Bateson, 1885
- Cuvier, 1812
- Jawed Vertebrates
- Huxley, 1880
- Class: Osteichthyes () - Huxley, 1880
- Superclass: Osteichthyes () - Huxley, 1880
- Infraphylum: Gnathostomata () - auct. - Jawed Vertebrates
- Subphylum: Vertebrata () - Cuvier, 1812 - Vertebrates
- Phylum: Chordata () - Bateson, 1885 - Chordates
- Infrakingdom: Chordonia () - (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Deuterostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Alosa pseudoharengus • Clupea megalops Rafinesque • Clupea parvula Mitchill • Clupea pseudoharengus • Clupea pseudoharengus Wilson • Clupea pseudoharengus Wilson, 1811 • Clupea vernalis Mitchill • Clupea virescens Dekay • Meletta venosa Valenciennes • Pomolobus pseudoharengus (Wilson
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: Data last modified by FishBase 24-Jul-1994
Fish Name Keel Dorsal Fin Rays Anal Fin Rays Mouth/Teeth Gill Rakers Gular Membrane Lateral Line Similarity Index Comments Alewife Scaled, saw-like keel extending from vent forward to isthmus (gill area) Typically 13-14, no elongated rays and origin forward of origin of pelvic rays Typically 17-18 Superior mouth and teeth on jaws weak or absent 41-44 on 1st gill arch Absent Absent, 42-50 scales in lateral series N/A Also moderately similar to deep-bodied shiners of the minnow family (Cyprinella, Luxilus, Notemigonus, Scardinius) Gizzard Shad Saw-like keel Typically 10-12 rays with last ray more than three times longer than adjacent ray and dorsal origin behind pelvic origin Typically 27-34 No teeth on jaws or tongue About 190 on 1st gill arch Absent Absent, 52-70 scales in lateral series Moderately similar Goldeye Fleshy keel, lacking scales and not saw-like Less than 13 rays 29-34 No teeth on jaws or tongue 15-17 Present Present, 57-62 scales in lateral series Moderately similar Mooneye Fleshy keel, lacking scales and not saw-like Less than 13 rays 26-29 No teeth on jaws or tongue 15-17 Present Present, 52-57 scales in lateral series Moderately similar Skipjack Herring Scaled, saw-like keel extending from vent forward to isthmus (gill area) Typically 17, no elongated rays and origin forward of origin of pelvic fins Typically 18 Superior mouth and teeth on jaws and tongue 20-30 on 1st gill arch Absent Absent, 53-60 scales in lateral series Moderately similar
Members of the genus Alosa
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 40 species and subspecies in this genus:
A. aestivalis (Blueback Glut Herring) · A. agone (Agone) · A. alabamae (Alabama Shad?names of Fishes 67) · A. alburnus (Caspian Marine Shad) · A. algeriensis (North African Shad) · A. alosa (Blueback Glut Herring) · A. alosa alosa (Blueback Glut Herring) · A. braschnikowi (Brazhnikov's Shad) · A. braschnikowi braschnikowi (Caspian Marine Shad) · A. braschnikowi sarensis (Caspian Marine Shad) · A. brashnikovi (Caspian Marine Shad) · A. brashnikovi brashnikovi (Caspian Marine Shad) · A. caspia (Astrabad Shad) · A. caspia caspia (Caspian Shad) · A. caspia knipowitschi (Enzeli Shad) · A. caspia persica (Astrabad Shad) · A. chrysochloris (Skipjack Herring) · A. elongata (Elongate Ilisha) · A. fallax (Killarney Shad) · A. fallax fallax (Twaite Shad) · A. fallax nilotica (Killarney Shad) · A. immaculata (Kerch Black Sea Shad) · A. kessleri (Black-Back Shad) · A. killarnensis (Goureen) · A. macedonica (Macedonian Shad) · A. maeotica (Black Sea Shad) · A. mediocris (Shad Fall Herring) · A. nilotica (Mediterranean Shad) · A. pectinata (Brazilian Menhaden) · A. pontica (Kerch Black Sea Shad) · A. pseudoharengus (Anadromous Alewives) · A. reevesii (Seasonal Shad) · A. sapidissima (Connecticut River Shad) · A. saposchnikowii (Bigeye Shad) · A. saposhnikovi (Saposhnikovi Shad) · A. sphaerocephala (Agrakhana Shad) · A. sp. nov. 'Skadar' (Skadar Shad) · A. tanaica (Black Sea Shad) · A. teres (California Round Herring) · A. volgensis (Caspian Anadromous Shad)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- 2nd Interagency Workshop on In-Situ Water-Quality Sensing: Biological Sensors, Pensacola Beach, Florida, April 28-30, 1980 / [Washington, D.C.?]: U.S. Dept. of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, 1981. url p. 19.
- A list of common and scientific names of fishes from the United States and Canada. Report presented at the eighty-ninth annual meeting, Clearwater, Fla., Sept. 16-18, 1959. Ann Arbor, Mich., 1960. url p. 10.
- Adult and juvenile fish populations near the D.C. Cook Nuclear Power Plant Southeastern Lake Michigan, during preoperational (1973-74) and operational (1975-79) years / Ann Arbor, Mich.: Great Lakes Research Division, the University of Michigan, 1985. url p. 328, p. 329, p. 336, p. 8.
- Adult and juvenile fish, ichthyoplankton and benthos populations in the vicinity of the J. H. Campbell Power Plant, eastern Lake Michigan, 1977 / Ann Arbor, Mich.: Great Lakes Research Division, University of Michigan, 1978. url p. 249, p. 497, p. 501, p. 503, p. 507, p. 54.
- Adult, Juvenile, and larval fish populations in the vicinity of the James H. Campbell Plant, 1981: with special reference to the effectiveness of wedge-wire intake screens in reducing entrainment and impringement of fish / Ann Arbor, Mich.: Great Lakes Research Division, University of Michigan, 1982. url p. 379, p. 77.
- Adult, juvenile and larval fish in the vicinity of the J.H. Campbell Power Plant, eastern Lake Michigan, 1978 / Ann Arbor, Mich.: Great Lakes Research Division, University of Michigan, 1979. url p. 332, p. 564, p. 62.
- Adult, juvenile and larval fish populations in the vicinity of the J.H. Campbell Power Plant, eastern Lake Michigan, 1977-1980 / Ann Arbor, Mich.: Great Lakes Research Division, University of Michigan, 1981. url p. 41.
- An ecological characterization of Coastal Maine (north and east of Cape Elizabeth) / Stewart I. Fefer and Patricia S. Schettig: principal investigators. Newton Corner, Mass.: Department of the Interior, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Northeast Region, 1980. url , , , p. 22, p. 43.
- Breviora. 1982 Cambridge, Mass.: Museum of Comparative Zoology, Harvard University, [1952- url p. 14.
- Bulletin / Field Museum of Natural History. [Chicago]: The Museum, 1966-1972. url p. 8.
- Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History). London: BM(NH) url p. 217, p. 26, p. 90.
- California fish and game. [San Francisco, etc.]: State of California, Resources Agency, Dept. of Fish and Game. url p. 156, p. 16, p. 161, p. 248, p. 255.
- Commercial fisheries review. [Washington]: National Marine Fisheries Service; [for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off.] url p. 110, p. 114, p. 115, p. 2, p. 57, p. 58.
- Comprehensive plan for the Illinois Nature Preserves System. Rockford, Ill.: Illinois Nature Preserves Commission, 1972-1973. url p. 32.
- Current bibliography for aquatic sciences and fisheries. London, Taylor & Francis ltd. url p. 21, p. 227, p. 234, p. 248, p. 256, p. 260, p. 287, p. 345, p. 369, p. 465, p. 681, p. 696, p. 837.
- Current bibliography for fisheries science. Rome, Biology Branch, Fisheries Division, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. url p. 131.
- Dean bibliography of fishes. New York: American Museum of Natural History, 1971-1973. url p. 124, p. 137, p. 169, p. 170, p. 172, p. 218, p. 220, p. 221, p. 230, p. 232, p. 233, p. 252, p. 253, p. 258, p. 273, p. 281, p. 282, p. 290, p. 291, p. 293, p. 301, p. 303, p. 310, p. 315, p. 320, p. 321, p. 321, p. 323, p. 328, p. 339, p. 340, p. 448, p. 454, p. 459, p. 488, p. 493, p. 499, p. 527, p. 558, p. 566, p. 596, p. 610, p. 611, p. 639, p. 640, p. 651, p. 655, p. 663, p. 684, p. 686, p. 700, p. 718, p. 741, p. 94.
- Directory of environmental life scientists / prepared by the Institute of Ecology (TIE) for the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. Washington: For sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off., 1974. url p. 331.
- Distribution and abundance of fishes and invertebrates in Mid- Atlantic estuaries. Silver Spring, Md.: U.S. Dept. of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, National Ocean Service, 1994- url p. 21, p. 250, p. 251, p. 259, p. 261, p. 4, p. 94, p. 97.
- Distribution and abundance trends of 22 selected species in the Middle Atlantic Bight from bottom trawl surveys during 1967-1979: final report to the U.S. Mineral[s] Management Service / Thomas R. Azarovitz. .. [et al.]. Woods Hole, Mass.: U.S. Dept. of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, National Marine Fisheries Service, Northeast Fisheries Center,  url .
- Diver assessment of the inshore southeastern Lake Michigan environment near the D.C. Cook Nuclear Plant, 1973-1982 / [Ann Arbor, Mich.]: University of Michigan, [1986?]. url p. 140, p. 160.
- Ecology of Buzzards Bay: an estuarine profile / by Brian L. Howes and Dale D. Goehringer and Center for Marine Science and Technology, University of Massachusetts; Rebecca J. Howard, project officer. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Dept. of the Interior, National Biological Service, 1996. url p. 49, p. 50.
- Effects of beach nourishment on the nearshore environment in Lake Huron at Lexington Harbor (Michigan) / by Robert T. Nester and Thomas P. Poe; prepared for U.S. Army, Corps of Engineers, Coastal Engineering Research Center. Fort Belvoir, Va.: National Technical Information Service, Operations Division [distributor, 1982] url p. 21.
- Energy and environmental stress in aquatic systems: selected papers from a symposium held at Augusta, Georgia, November 2-4, 1977 / sponsored by Savannah River Ecology Laboratory, Institute of Ecology, University of Georgia, Assistant Secretary for Environment, U.S. Department of Energy, Savannah River National Environmental Resea [Washington]: Technical Information Center, U.S. Dept. of Energy; 1978. url p. 715, p. 840.
- FWS/0BS. [Washington]Fish and Wildlife Service, U.S. Dept. of the Interior. url p. 20.
- Features of various offshore structures / by Joseph Peraino. .. [et al.]. Fort Belvoir, Va.: Coastal Engineering Research Center, 1975. url p. 17.
- Field distribution and entrainment of fish larvae and eggs at the Donald C. Cook Nuclear Power Plant, southeastern Lake Michigan, 1980-1982 / Ann Arbor, Mich.: Great Lakes Research Division, the University of Michigan, 1985. url p. 161, p. 162, p. 163, p. 30.
- Fisheries and fishery resources of New York Bight / J.L. McHugh. [Seattle, WA]: U.S. Dept. of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, National Marine Fisheries Service; 1977. url p. 8.
- Fishery bulletin / U.S. Dept. of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, National Marine Fisheries Service. Washington, D.C.: The Service: url , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , p. 1006, p. 1303, p. 141, p. 157, p. 159, p. 161, p. 162, p. 163, p. 164, p. 165, p. 167, p. 168, p. 169, p. 170, p. 199, p. 207, p. 209, p. 210, p. 211, p. 213, p. 338, p. 339, p. 376, p. 377, p. 381, p. 383, p. 385, p. 387, p. 388, p. 389, p. 400, p. 401, p. 416, p. 473, p. 484, p. 485, p. 502, p. 509, p. 513, p. 597, p. 612, p. 637, p. 639, p. 639, p. 696, p. 701, p. 71, p. 717, p. 718, p. 72, p. 720, p. 73, p. 75, p. 77, p. 777, p. 789, p. 79, p. 845, p. 895, p. 900, p. 902, p. 905, p. 911, p. 918.
- Fishery bulletin. United States Fish and Wildlife Service. Washington, The Service, U.S. Govt Print. Off. url , p. 145, p. 150, p. 197, p. 425, p. 490, p. 498, p. 687.
- Fishery circular / U.S. Department of Commerce, Bureau of Fisheries. [Washington]: The Bureau, 1931-1939. url p. 1, p. 1, p. 1, p. 103, p. 11, p. 16, p. 2, p. 28, p. 4, p. 4, p. 5, p. 54, p. 8, p. 8, p. 8.
- Fishery statistics of the United States / prepared by Data Management and Statistics Division. Washington, D.C.: Dept. of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, National Marine Fisheries Service: url p. 390, p. 433, p. 440, p. 445, p. 462, p. 463, p. 503, p. 729.
- Fishes occurring in the fresh waters of insular Newfoundland / Ottawa: Canada Dept. of Fisheries, 1964. url p. 102, p. 103, p. 12, p. 14.
- Fishes of Canada's national capital region = Poissons de la région de la capitale du Canada / Ottawa: Dept. of the Environment, Fisheries and Marine Service, 1974. url p. 21.
- Fishes of Maine / W. Harry Everhart. Augusta, Me.: Maine Dept. of Inland Fisheries and Game, 1958. url p. 19.
- Fishes of the Gulf of Maine, by Henry B. Bigelow and William C. Schroeder. Washington, United States Government Printing Office, 1953. url .
- Fishes of the Pamlico-Albemarle Peninsula, N.C.: area utilization and potential impacts / Morehead City, N.C.: N.C. Dept. of Natural Resources and Community Development, Division of Marine Fisheries,  url p. 119, p. 42, p. 52.
- Global venting, midwater, and benthic ecological processes / Michael P. De Luca and Ivar Babb, editors. [Rockville, Md.]: U.S. Dept. of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, Oceanic and Atmospheric Research, Office of Undersea Research,  url p. 424.
- Hearings before the Subcommittee on Oceanography of the Committee on Merchant Marine and Fisheries, House of Representatives. Washington, D.C.: U.S. G.P.O., 1960- url p. 446.
- Inshore Lake Michigan fish populations near the D.C. Cook Nuclear Power Plant during preoperational years, 1973, 1974 / Ann Arbor, Mich.: Great Lakes Research Division, University of Michigan, 1979. url p. 438, p. 440, p. 511, p. 524, p. 527.
- Investigations in fish control. Washington: U.S. Dept. of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service. url p. 2.
- Monitoring the marine environment of Long Island Sound at Millstone Nuclear Power Station, Waterford, Connecticut: three operational studies, 1986-1987 / [prepared by the Environmental Laboratory staff of Northeast Utilities Service Company]. Waterford, Connecticut: Northeast Utilities,  url p. 265, p. 307.
- NOAA technical report NMFS SSRF. Seattle, Wash.: National Marine Fisheries Service; url p. 1, p. 1, p. 21, p. 3, p. 4, p. 6.
- National overview and evolution of NOAA's Estuarine Living Marine Resources (ELMR) Program / David M. Nelson and Mark E. Monaco. Silver Spring. Md.: U.S. Dept. of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, National Ocean Service, National Centers for Coastal Ocean Science, Center for Coastal Monitoring and Assessment, 2000. url p. 17, p. 23, p. 29.
- Natural areas inventory, Gates County, North Carolina / Raleigh: North Carolina Coastal Energy Impact Program, Office of Coastal Management, North Carolina Dept. of Natural Resources and Community Development,  url p. 177.
- New Haven Harbor ecological studies summary report, 1970-1977 / prepared for the United Illuminating Company, New Haven, Connecticut by Normandeau Associates, inc., Bedford, New Hampshire; edited by Andrew J. McCusker, Weldon S. Bosworth. Bedford, N.H.: Normandeau, 1979. url , p. 12, p. 55.
- Non-native fishes inhabiting the streams and lakes of Illinois / Champaign, Ill.: Illinois Natural History Survey,  url , p. 10, p. 2, p. 42, p. 47, p. 48, p. 49, p. 9.
- Nutrient cycling in the Great Lakes: a summarization of factors regulating the cycling of phosphorus / [Ann Arbor, Mich.?]: University of Michigan, Great Lakes Environmental Research Laboratory, Cooperative Program in Great Lakes Longterm Effects Research, 1980. url p. 89.
- Occasional papers of the California Academy of Sciences. San Francisco: California Academy of Sciences, url p. 113.
- Ontogeny and systematics of fishes: based on an international symposium dedicated to the memory of Elbert Halvor Ahlstrom / sponsored by the National Marine Fisheries Service, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, United States Dept. of Commerce. [New York?]: American Society of Ichthyologists and Herpetologists, c1984. url p. 124, p. 133, p. 697.
- Our living oceans: the first annual report on the status of U.S. living marine resources. [Washington, D.C.]: U.S. Dept. of Commerce, 1991. url p. 116.
- Our living resources: a report to the nation on the distribution, abundance, and health of U.S. plants, animals, and ecosystems / [edited by], Edward T. LaRoe. .. [et al.]. Washington, DC: U.S. Dept. of the Interior, National Biological Service, 1995. url p. 483.
- Oxygen depletion and associated benthic mortalities in New York Bight, 1976 / editors, R. Lawrence Swanson, Carl J. Sindermann. Rockville, Md.: National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration; 1979. url p. 298.
- Patterns and perspectives in environmental science: report prepared for the National Science Board, National Science Foundation. [Washington]: The Board: for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off., 1972. url p. 228, p. 229.
- Pesticides monitoring journal. [Washington, D.C.: For sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. G.P.O., 1967-1981. url p. 171, p. 93.
- Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington. Washington, Biological Society of Washington url p. 28, p. 29, p. 308.
- Proceedings of the third USA-USSR symposium on the effects of pollutants upon aquatic ecosystems. Duluth, Minn.: U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, 1980. url p. 201, p. 77.
- Proposed estuarine sanctuary grant award to the state of New York for a Hudson River estuarine sanctuary. Albany, N.Y.: New York, Dept. of Environmental Conservation,  url p. 114.
- Research on fish and wildlife habitat / technical editor, William T. Mason, consulting editor, Sam Iker. Washington, D.C.Office of Research and Development, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, 1982. url p. 66.
- Special scientific report. Seattle, National Marine Fisheries Service; for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off., 1949-1971. url , p. 1, p. 15, p. 3, p. 44, p. 58.
- Spixiana. 9 1986 München: Zoologische Staatssammlung München, 1977- url p. 227, p. 231.
- Studies of estuarine dependence of Atlantic coastal fishes, by John Clark [and others] Washington, U.S. Bureau of Sport Fisheries and Wildlife; [for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off.]1969. url p. 44.
- Syllogeus. Ottawa, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1972-1995. url p. 11, p. 179, p. 245, p. 248, p. 26.
- Technical report: Illinois natural areas inventory / by the Department of Landscape Architecture, Univeristy of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, and the Natural Land Institute, Rockford, Illinois. Urbana: Dept. of Landscape Architecture, University of Illinois and Natural Land Institute, 1978. url p. 410.
- The 1974 preoperational zooplankton investigations relative to the Donald C. Cook Nuclear Plant / Ann Arbor, Mich.: University of Michigan, Great Lakes Research Division, 1975. url p. 152.
- The 1975 and 1976 operational zooplankton investigations relative to the Donald C. Cook Nuclear Power Plant, with tests for plant effects (1971-1976) / Ann Arbor, Mich.: University of Michigan, Great Lakes Research Division, 1978. url p. 162.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url , p. 11, p. 122, p. 124, p. 125, p. 127, p. 16, p. 162, p. 165, p. 166, p. 173, p. 232, p. 243, p. 257, p. 264, p. 275, p. 276, p. 276, p. 302, p. 319, p. 330, p. 357, p. 388, p. 393, p. 393, p. 409, p. 412, p. 421, p. 423, p. 425, p. 425, p. 426, p. 474, p. 478, p. 482, p. 508, p. 514, p. 521, p. 59, p. 618, p. 631, p. 631, p. 650, p. 735, p. 79, p. 87, p. 91, p. 95, p. 97, p. 98.
- The Great Basin naturalist. 57 1997 Provo, Utah: M.L. Bean Life Science Museum, Brigham Young University, 1939-1999. url p. 148, p. 424, p. 427.
- The Marine Mammal Commission compendium of selected treaties, international agreements, and other relevant documents on marine resources, wildlife, and the environment / compiled by Richard L. Wallace. Washington, D.C.: The Commission; 1994 url p. 1268.
- The changing Illinois environment: critical trends: technical report of the Critical Trends Assessment Project. Springfield, Ill.: Ill. Dept. of Energy and Natural Resources, 1994. url p. 194.
- The freshwater fishes of New Brunswick: a checklist with distributional notes / Toronto: Royal Ontario Museum, 1959. url p. 32, p. 35.
- Threatened wildlife of the United States. Washington, Bureau of Sport Fisheries and Wildlife [for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off.]1973. url p. 9.
- Time factors of differentially preserved wood in two calcitic concretions in Pennsylvanian black shale from Indiana / Bertram G. Woodland -- and Catherine K. Richardson --. Chicago: Field Museum of Natural History, 1975. url p. 192.
- Transactions of the Kentucky Academy of Science. [Lexington, Ky.]Kentucky Academy of Science, 1923-1997. url p. 12, p. 134, p. 166.
- Treaties and other international agreements on fisheries, oceanographic resources, and wildlife to which the United States is party / prepared at the request of Hon. Warren G. Magnuson for the use of the Committee on Commerce, United States Senate, by the Congressional Research Service, the Library of Congress. Washington, D.C.: U.S. G.P.O., 1974. url p. 883, p. 890.
- Value of mussel beds to sport fisheries, Project F-80-R: final report / Philip B. Moy and Richard E. Sparks. Havana, Ill.: Illinois Natural History Survey, Center for Aquatic Ecology,  url p. 118.
- Wetlands in Maryland, Baltimore, Maryland Dept. of State Planning, 1973. url .
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 31, 2012.
- FishBase. Release date: January 5, 2010
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility. Accessed November 22, 2007. http://www.gbif.org Mediated distribution data from 2 providers.
- Lyons, John. WiscFish.org University of Wisconsin, Center for Limnology, Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources, University of Wisconsin Sea Grant. Provided photos, physical description, and table comparing similar species.
- National Invasive Species Information Center, National Agricultural Library, United States Department of Agriculture. Web Site. Accessed May 3, 2008.
- NatureServe. 2003. Downloadable animal data sets. NatureServe Central Databases. Accessed February 6, 2005.
- Ruggiero M., Gordon D., Bailly N., Kirk P., Nicolson D. (2011). The Catalogue of Life Taxonomic Classification, Edition 2, Part A. In: Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2011 Annual Checklist (Bisby F.A., Roskov Y.R., Orrell T.M., Nicolson D., Paglinawan L.E., Bailly N., Kirk P.M., Bourgoin T., Baillargeon G., Ouvrard D., eds). DVD; Species 2000: Reading, UK.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal March 01, 2008:
- Canadian Museum of Nature: Canadian Museum of Nature Fish Collection
- Cornell University Museum of Vertebrates: Fish Collection
- FishBase: FishBase DiGIR Provider - Philippine Server
- GBIF-Sweden: Fishes (NRM)
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: Atlantic Reference Centre (OBIS Canada)
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: Bay of Fundy Species List (OBIS Canada)
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: Canadian Museum of Nature - Fish Collection (OBIS Canada)
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: DFO Maritimes Research Vessel Trawl Surveys Fish Observations (OBIS Canada)
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: ECNASAP - East Coast North America Strategic Assessment (OBIS Canada)
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: Gulf of Maine Bottom Trawl Survey Data (NEFSC,NMFS,NOAA)(USOBIS)
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: Nova Scotia Museum of Natural History - Marine Birds, Mammals, and Fishes (OBIS Canada)
- Museum national d'histoire naturelle: Ichtyologie
- Museum of Comparative Zoology, Harvard University: MCZ Fish Collection
- Royal Ontario Museum: Fish specimens
- University of Kansas Biodiversity Research Center: Fish Collection
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 119578
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: Fis-23334
- Fishbase Species ID: 1583
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 13816372
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 161706
- Natural Heritage Network Species Identifier: AFCFA01050
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 15651
- Jones, P.W., F.D. Martin and J.D. Hardy, Jr. (1978). Development of fishes of the Mid-Atlantic Bight. An atlas of eggs, larval and juvenile stages. Vol. 1. Acipenseridae through Ictaluridae. U.S. Fish Wildl. Ser. Biol. Serv. Program FWS/OBS-78/12. 33 ... [back]
- Frimodt, C. (1995). Multilingual illustrated guide to the world's commercial coldwater fish. Fishing News Books, Osney Mead, Oxford, England. 215 p. [back]
- Bigelow, H.B., M.G. Bradbury, J.R. Dymond, J.R. Greeley, S.F. Hildebrand, G.W. Mead, R.R. Miller, L.R. Rivas, W.L. Schroeder, R.D. Suttkus and V.D. Vladykov (1963). Fishes of the western North Atlantic. Part three. New Haven, Sears Found. Mar. Res., Y ... [back]