Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Danish:
Common Names in Dutch:
Gewone Velduil, Winterzaaduil
Common Names in English:
Common Names in French:
Noctuelle Des Moissons
Common Names in German:
Common Names in Hungarian:
Common Names in Italian:
Nottua Dei Seminati
Common Names in Portuguese:
'The Noctuids are members
of the Superfamily
Noctuoidea. Worldwide in distribution, this family
is the largest in the Lepidoptera and has approximately 20,000 species. About 2,900 of these are found in North America, and there is wide variation
and behavior. Most moths are gray to brown in color and have line
or spots on their wings
. Some species are brightly colored
. They are small to large in size, and most species are medium-sized with wingspans 2 - 4.5 cm. When at rest, adults
of most species hold their wings above their bodies like a roof. Noctuids are typically nocturnal
, though some species are diurnal
. Most larvae feed
on plant foliage
, dead leaves, lichens, and fungi; many are serious forest
pests. Some species are leaf miners, others are stem- or leaf-borers, and still others feed at night on plant shoots. Noctuid moths pupate in cells
in soil, in plant cavities, or in silk
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 2,595 meters (0 to 8,514 feet).
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- A.M.A. Aguinaldo et al., 1997 ex T. Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Latreille, 1829
- Snodgrass, 1938
- Heymons, 1901
- Order: Lepidoptera () - Linnaeus, 1758 - Butterflies and Moths
- Superorder: Amphiesmenoptera ()
- Cohort: Myoglossata ()
- Infraclass: Pterygota ()
- Subclass: Dicondylia ()
- Epiclass: Hexapoda ()
- Superclass: Panhexapoda ()
- Infraphylum: Atelocerata () - Heymons, 1901
- Subphylum: Mandibulata () - Snodgrass, 1938
- Phylum: Arthropoda () - Latreille, 1829 - Arthropods
- Superphylum: Panarthropoda () - Cuvier
- Infrakingdom: Ecdysozoa () - A.M.A. Aguinaldo et al., 1997 ex T. Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Protostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Agrotis segetis (Fabricius • Agrotis segetum Schifferm üller 1775 • Agrotis segetum< /i> (Denis & Schiffermüller
Name Status: Accepted Name .
Members of the genus Agrotis
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 38 species and subspecies in this genus:
A. aeneipennis (Agrotis Aeneipennis) · A. annexa (Agrotis Annexa) · A. apicalis (Agrotis Apicalis) · A. arenarius (Agrotis Arenarius) · A. buchholzi (Buchholz's Dart Moth) · A. bucholzia (Agrotis Bucholzia) · A. clavis (Heart and Club) · A. cremata (Cremata Agrotis Noctuid Moth) · A. crinigera (Larger Hawaiian Cutworm) · A. daedalus (Agrotis Daedalus) · A. dislocata (Smaller Hawaiian Cutworm) · A. dollii (Agrotis Dollii) · A. exclamationis (Heart and Dart Moth) · A. fasciata (Midway Agrotis Noctuid Moth) · A. gladiaria (Swordsman Dart) · A. gravis (Agrotis Gravis) · A. ipsilon (Black Cutworm) · A. ipsilon aneituma (Black Cutworm) · A. kerri (Kerr's Agrotis Noctuid Moth) · A. laysanensis (Laysan Agrotis Noctuid Moth) · A. malefida (Rascal Dart) · A. melanoneura (Black-Veined Agrotis Noctuid Moth) · A. microreas (Microreas Agrotis Noctuid Moth) · A. musa (Agrotis Musa) · A. obliqua (Agrotis Obliqua) · A. orthogonia (Pale Western Cutworm) · A. photophila (Photophila Agrotis Noctuid Moth) · A. procellaris (Procellaris Agrotis Noctuid Moth) · A. robustior (Agrotis Robustior) · A. ruta (Agrotis Ruta) · A. segetis (Turnip Moth) · A. segetum (Turnip Moth) · A. stigmosa (Agrotis Stigmosa) · A. subterranea (Granulate Cutworm) · A. vancouverensis (Agrotis Vancouverensis) · A. venerabilis (Venerable Dart) · A. vetusta (Old Man Dart) · A. volubilis (Voluble Dart)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A catalogue of the moths of India / compiled by E.C. Cotes and C. Swinhoe. Calcutta: Printed by order of the Trustees of the Indian Museum, 1887-1889. url p. 309.
- A catalogue of the moths of India. Calcutta, Indian Museum, 1887. url p. 309.
- A descriptive catalogue of the Dobree collection of European Noctuae / compiled by Horace B. Browne. Hull, England; A. Browne & Sons, 1909. url p. 44.
- A guide to the natural history of the Isle of Wight: a series of contributions by specialists relating to the various branches of natural history and kindred subjects / edited by Frank Morey. Newport, Isle of Wight: The County Press, 1909. url p. 409.
- A hand-book to the order Lepidoptera. By W.F. Kirby. .. London, E. Lloyd, limited, 1896-1897. url p. 38.
- A handbook of British Lepidoptera, by Edward Meyrick. London, Macmillan, 1895. url p. 91, p. 92.
- A handbook to the order Lepidoptera. By W. F. Kirby. London, E. Lloyd, limited, 1896-1897. url , p. 38.
- A history of British birds / by William Yarrell, V.P.L.S., F.Z.S. London: John van Voorst, 1871-1885. url p. 294.
- A history of British birds by William Yarrell; illustrated by 535 wood-engravings. London: J. Van Voorst, 1845. url p. 97.
- A history of British birds. London, J. Van Voorst, 1871-85. url p. 294.
- A manual of dangerous insects likely to be introduced in the United States through importations. Ed. by W. Dwight Pierce, entomologist, southern field crop insect investigations. Washington: Govt. print. off., 1918. url p. 70.
- A manual of forestry. London, Bradbury, Agnew, 1889-96. url p. 292.
- A manual of injurious insects with methods of prevention and remedy for their attacks to food crops, forest trees, and fruit, to which is appended a short introduction to entomology. London, Simpkin, Marshall, Hamilton, Kent, 1890. url p. 370.
- A practical guide to garden plants, containing descriptions of the hardiest and most beautiful annuals and biennials, hardy herbaceous and bulbous perennials, hardy water and bog plants, flowering and ornamental trees and shrubs, conife London;Longmans, Green, 1901. url p. 1120.
- A report on the insects of Massachusetts, injurious to vegetation. Published agreeably to an order of the Legislature, by the Commissioners on the Zoological and Botanical Survey of the State. Cambridge, Folsom, Wells, and Thurston, printers to the University, 1841. url p. 322, p. 324.
- A survey and record of Woolwich and West Kent containing descriptions and records, brought up-to-date, of geology, botany, zoology, archaeology and industries of the district, with a brief photographic commentary, in commemoration of the 12th Ann General editors, C.H. Grinling, T.A. Ingram [and] B.C. Polkinghorne. Woolwich: Labour Representation Print. Co., 1909. url p. 353.
- A text-book of agricultural zoology, Edinburgh and London, W. Blackwood and Sons, 1899. url , .
- A text-book of bacteriology, including the etiology and prevention of infective diseases and a short account of yeasts, and moulds, haematazoa, and psorosperms. Philadelphia, W. B. Saunders, 1897. url .
- A textbook of bacteriology: including the etiology and prevention of infective diseases and a short account of yeasts and moulds, haematoza, and psorosperms. Philadelphia: Saunders, 1897. url p. 582.
- A treatise on insects injurious to gardeners, foresters, & farmers / by Vincent Köllar; translated from the German and illustrated by engravings by J. and M. Loudon; with notes by J. O. Westwood. London: William Smith, 113, Fleet Street, 1840 url p. 101.
- A treatise on some of the insects injurious to vegetation / Boston: William White, printer to the state, 1862 url , .
- A treatise on some of the insects of New England which are injurious to vegetation / by Thaddeus William Harris. Boston: Printed by White & Potter, 1852. url p. 342, p. 344.
- Abstract of proceedings of the South London Entomological & Natural History Society. London [Eng.]: South London Entomological and Natural History Society, [1885-1896] url p. 128, p. 68.
- Acta Societatis pro Fauna et Flora Fennica. Helsinki: Societas, 1875-1980. url p. 8.
- Agricultural news. Bridgetown, Barbados, Bowen & sons;1902-22. url p. 421.
- An introduction to entomology: or, Elements of the natural history of insects, comprising an account of noxious and useful insects, of their metamorphoses, food, stratagems, habitations, societies, motions, noises, hybernation, ins by William Kirby and William Spence. London: Longman, Brown, Green, Longmans & Roberts, 1857. url p. 91.
- An introduction to entomology; or, Elements of the natural history of insects: comprising an account of noxious and useful insects, of their metamorphoses, food, stratagems, habitations, societies, motions, noises, hybernation, ins Philadelphia: Lea and Blanchard, 1846. url p. 126, p. 139.
- Anales de la Sociedad Española de Historia Natural. Madrid: La Sociedad, url p. 238.
- Annual report / Albany: University of the State of New York, 1902-1918. url p. 88.
- Annual report / Entomological Society of Ontario. Toronto, The Society. url p. 42.
- Annual report of the Board of Regents of the Smithsonian Institution. 10 1855 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, -1965. url p. 133.
- Annual report of the Regents / Albany: J.B. Lyon, State Printer, 1890-1903. url p. 235, p. 304, p. 319, p. 418, p. 596.
- Annual reports and proceedings of the Belfast Naturalists' Field Club. url p. 70.
- Anzeiger der Kaiserlichen Akademie der Wissenschaften, Mathematisch-Naturwissenschaftliche Classe. Wien: Der Akademie, 1864-1914. url p. 4.
- Birds of the Humber District / by John Cordeaux. London: Van Voorst, 1872. url p. 143.
- Botanical abstracts. Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins Co. url p. 293.
- British and European butterflies and moths (Macrolepidoptera). By A. W. Kappel. .. and W. Egmont Kirby. .. With thirty coloured plates by H. Deuchert and S. Slocombe. Printed in [Nuremberg] Bavaria. London, E. Nister; url plate XXIV.
- British butterflies and mothes: an introduction to the study of our native Lepidoptera. By H.T. Stainton. .. London, Reeve & Co., 1867. url p. 186.
- British journal of entomology and natural history. [London]: British Entomological and Natural History Society, 1988- url p. 130, p. 131, p. 163, p. 215, p. 62, p. 71, p. 75.
- British moths and their transformations. London: W. Smith, 1843-45. url .
- Bulletin - New York State Museum. Albany: New York State Education Dept. url p. 11, p. 418, p. 596.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url p. 636.
- Bulletin of miscellaneous information /Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew. 1907 London: H.M. Stationery Office, 1900-1941. url p. 160.
- Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History). London: BM(NH) url p. 21, p. 34, p. 41, p. 6.
- Bulletin of the U.S. Department of Agriculture. [Washington, D.C.?]: Supt. of Docs., G.P.O., 1913-1923. url p. 27.
- Catalogue of bacteria associated extracellularly with insects and ticks, by Edward A. Steinhaus... Minneapolis, Minn., Burgess publishing co., c1942. url p. 104, p. 14, p. 148, p. 149, p. 40.
- Catalogue of eastern and Australian Lepidoptera Heterocera in the collection of the Oxford University Museum, by C. Swinhoe. Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1892-1900. url p. 7, p. 8.
- Catalogue of museum of natural history and miscellaneous antiquities, curios, &c., collected by Rev. Donald Miller. Bordighera, Italy, Manse Printing Press url p. 59.
- Catalogue of scientific papers (1800-1900) Comp. by the Royal society of London. Cambridge, C. J. Clay and sons, 1867-1902; url p. 135, p. 495, p. 664.
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. Compiled by the Royal Society of London. London, C.J. Clay and Sons, 1867-1902 [etc.] Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1914-25. url p. 135, p. 495, p. 664.
- Catalogue of the books, manuscripts, maps and drawings in the British Museum (Natural History) London: BM(NH), 1903-1940. url p. 1774.
- Catalogue of the science collections for teaching and research in the South Kensington Museum. .. London, Printed for H.M. Stationery Off. by Eyre and Spottiswoode, 1891- url p. 79, p. 80.
- Commercial gardening, a practical & scientific treatise for market gardeners, market growers, fruit, flower & vegetable growers, nurserymen, etc. By many practical specialists under the editorship of John Weathers. London, The Gresham publishing company, 1913. url p. 183, p. 227.
- Common British insects selected from the typical beetles, moths, and butterflies of Great Britain, by the Rev. J.G. Wood. With one hundred and thirty figures by E.A. Smith engraved by G. Pearson. London, Longmans, Green, and co., 1882. url p. 251.
- Contributions to the natural history of the Lepidoptera of North America. .. By William Barnes. .. and J. H. McDunnough. Decatur, Ill., The Review press, 19 url p. 160.
- Cooperative economic insect report. Hyattsville, MD. [etc.]Plant Protection and Quarantine Programs Animal and Plant Health Service. url p. 13, p. 15, p. 16, p. 729, p. 75.
- Cultivation and diseases of fruit trees in the Maltese Islands. By. J. Borg. Malta: Govt. Print. Off., 1922. url p. 603.
- Danish fungi as represented in the herbarium of E. Rostrup / revised by J. Lind. Copenhagen: Gyldendalske boghandel, 1913. url p. 76.
- Dictionary of biological equivalents, German-English, by Ernst Artschwager. .. Baltimore, The Williams & Wilkins company, 1930. url p. 165.
- Diptera Danica: genera and species of flies hitherto found in Denmark. Copenhagen, G.E.C. Gad, 1907-1927. url p. 105.
- Eleanor Ormerod, LI. D., economic entomologist, Autobiography and correspondence, ed. by Robert Wallace. New York, Dutton, 1904. url p. 101, p. 337.
- Eleanor Ormerod, Ll. D., economic entomologist: autobiography and correspondence / edited by Robert Wallace. New York: Dutton, 1904. url p. 101, p. 337, p. 340.
- Entomological news, and proceedings of the Entomological Section of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia[Entomological Rooms of the Academy of Natural Sciences] url p. 305.
- Entomological news. [Philadelphia]American Entomological Society, 1925- url p. 145, p. 280, p. 297.
- Entomology for beginners: for the use of young folks, fruit-growers, farmers, and gardeners / by A.S. Packard. New York: H. Holt, 1899, c1888. url p. 46.
- Entomology for beginners; for the use of young folks, fruitgrowers, farmers, and gardeners; by A. S. Packard. New York, H. Holt and company, 1888. url p. 46.
- Essex naturalist: being the journal of the Essex Field Club. Buckhurst Hill, Essex, The Club. url p. 161.
- Experiment station record. Washington: G.P.O., 1889-1946. url , p. 155, p. 175, p. 222, p. 317, p. 857, p. 909, p. 923, p. 968.
- Farm insects: being the natural history and economy of the insects injurious to the field crops of Great Britain and Ireland, and also those which infest barns and granaries, with suggestions for their destruction. Edinburgh, Blackie & Son, 1860. url p. 120, p. 471, p. .
- Fauna, flora & geology of the Clyde area, ed. by G.F. Scott Elliot, Malcolm Laurie and J. Barclay Murdoch. Glasgow, Pub. by the local committee for the meeting of the British Association, 1901. url p. 227.
- Forests and forestry of northern Russia and lands beyond / comp. by John Croumbie Brown. Edinburgh, Oliver and Boyd; [etc., etc.]1884- url p. 268.
- Fungoid and insect pests of the farm. Cambridge: University Press, 1916. url .
- Garden foes: insect, animal and fungoid pests injurious to fruit and vegetable crops, hardy plants, trees, shrubs and greenhouse plants, with all the latest remedies for their eradication / by T.W. Sanders. London: W.H. & L. Collingridge,  url p. 162.
- Hand-book of Indian agriculture, by Nitya Gopal Mukerji. Calcutta, Thacker, Spink & co., 1901. url .
- Hardwicke's science-gossip: an illustrated medium of interchange and gossip for students and lovers of nature. London: Robert Hardwicke, 1866- url p. 240, p. 264.
- Illustrations of typical specimens of Lepidoptera Heterocera in the collection of the British Museum. Edited by Arthur Gardiner Butler. LondonPrinted by order of the Trustees1879- url p. 14.
- Index to the literature of American economic entomology. Melrose Highlands, Mass. [etc.], American Association of Economic Entomologists [etc.], 1917-62. url p. 11.
- Indian Museum notes. Calcutta: [Indian Museum]: 1889-1903. url , , , p. 206, p. 21, p. 7, p. 7.
- Insect life, by C. A. Ealand, M. A., with 74 full-page illustrations, 24 being from photographs by the author and 50 in colour from nature. 1921 London, A. & C. Black, ltd., 1921. url p. 166, plate L.
- Insecticides, fungicides and weedkillers: a practical manual on the diseases of plants and their remedies, for the use of manufacturing chemists, agriculturists, arboriculturists and horticulturists, by E. Bourcart, D. SC. Tr. from the French, rev. and adapted to British standards and practice, by Donald Grant. London: Scott, Greenwood & son, 1913. url p. 120, p. 24, p. 275, p. 384, p. 410, p. 412, p. 412, p. 70, p. 70, p. 96, p. 96.
- Insects at home, being a popular account of those insects which are useful or destructive and minutely describing their structure, habits, etc. New York, Alden, 1884. url , .
- Insects at home: being a popular account of all those insects which are useful or destructive, and minutely describing their structure, habits, and transformations / by J. G. Wood, with upwards of seven hundred figures by E. A. Smith and J. B. Zwecker; engraved by G. Pearson. New York: John B. Alden, 1883. url , , p. 477.
- Insects at home; being a popular account of insects, their structure, habits and transformations, with upwards of 700 figures by E. A. Smith and J. B. Zwecker, engr. by G. Pearson. New York, Scribner, 1872. url , , p. 477.
- International catalogue of scientific literature. London: Published for the International Council by the Royal Society of London, 1902-1919. url p. 170, p. 202, p. 257, p. 304, p. 328, p. 467, p. 478, p. 497.
- International review of the science and practice of agriculture. Rome: International Institute of Agriculture, Bureau of Agricultural Intelligence and Plant Diseases, 1916-1926. url p. 1051.
- Journal of Hymenoptera research. 10 Washington, D.C.: International Society of Hymenopterists, [1992- url p. 89.
- Journal of agricultural research. Washington, U.S. Govt. Printing Office, 1913-1949.. url p. 405.
- Journal of economic entomology. [College Park, Md., etc.]Entomological Society of America [etc.] url p. 379.
- Journal of the Marine Biological Association of the United Kingdom. Cambridge [etc.]Cambridge University Press [etc.] url p. 633.
- Journal of the Royal Agricultural Society of England. London:Royal Agricultural Society of England [etc.], 1840-2002. url p. 114.
- Keys to the insects of the European USSR. (Opredelitel nasekomykh Evropeiskoi chasti SSSR) Compiled by G. Ya. Bei-Bienko [and others] Editorial board: B.E. Bykhovskii [and others] Translated from Russian [by] Jean Salkind. Edited by O. Theodor] Jerusalem: Israel Program for Scientific Translations; [available from U.S. Dept. of Commerce, Clearinghouse for Federal Scientific and Technical Information, Springfield, Va.], 1967- url p. 135, p. 328, p. 440, p. 539, p. 555, p. 690.
- Larva collecting and breeding: a handbook to the larvae of the British Macro-Lepidoptera and their food plants: both in nature and in confinement, with authorities / by J. Seymour St. John. London: W. Wesley, 1890 url p. 34, p. 82.
- Larvae of owlet moths (Noctuidae): biology, morphology, and classification / by O.I. Merzheevskaya; George L. Godfrey, scientific editor; [translated from the Russian by P.M. Rao]. Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Libraries and National Science Foundation, 1988. url p. 128, p. 13, p. 135, p. 19, p. 20, p. 21, p. 23, p. 310, p. 314, p. 316, p. 332, p. 334, p. 346, p. 358, p. 368, p. 384, p. 386, p. 388, p. 40, p. 7.
- List of Yorkshire Lepidoptera. [By] George T. Porritt. .. London, A. Brown & Sons, ltd., 1904. url p. 79.
- List of the specimens of the British animals in the collection of the British museum. London: Printed by order of the Trustees, 1845-55. url p. 64.
- Manual of entomology: with special reference to economic entomology / by H. Maxwell Lefroy; illustrated by L.N. Staniland. New York: Longmans, Green & Co., 1923. url p. 352.
- Memoirs read before the Boston Society of Natural History. Boston, [Boston Society of Natural History]1862-1946. url p. 189.
- Memorial of life and entomologic work of Joseph Albert Lintner, state entomologist, 1874-98, by Ephraim Porter Felt. Albany: University of the State of New York, 1899. url p. 418, p. 596.
- Midland naturalist. London: Hardwicke and Bogue, 1878- url p. 226.
- Monograph & iconograph of native British Orchidace, by Colonel M. J. Godfery, F. L. S. With fifty-seven coloured plates from water-colour drawings of living plants by Hilda M. Godfery. Cambridge [Eng.]: University press, 1933. url p. 266.
- Museum bulletin / New York State Museum. Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1908-1916. url p. 88.
- Nature. London, Macmillan. url p. 608.
- Nicholson, G. The illustrated dictionary of gardening: a practical and scientific encyclopædia of horticulture for gardeners and botanists /edited by George Nicholson; assisted by J.W.H. Trail. .. and J. Garrett. .. 8 1884 London: L.U. Gill, -88. url p. 114, p. 459, p. 527.
- Our bird allies / by Theodore Wood. London: E. & J.B. Young, 1887. url p. 120.
- Our farm crops. Being a popular scientific description of the cultivation, chemistry, diseases, remedies, &c., of the various crops cultivated in Great Britain and Ireland. London, Blackie and son url p. 446.
- Polskie pismo entomologiczne = Polish journal of entomology = Bulletin entomologique de Pologne Warszawa [etc.]Panstwowe Wydawn. Naukowe. url p. 46, p. 7, p. 92.
- Practical hints respecting moths and butterflies, with notices of their localities: forming a calendar of entomological operations throughout the year, in pursuit of Lepidoptera / by Richard Shield. London: John Van Voorst, 1856. url p. 110, p. 110.
- Proceedings and transactions of the British Entomological and Natural History Society. London, British Entomological and Natural History Society. url p. 129, p. 13, p. 29, p. 48, p. 56, p. 89, p. 9.
- Proceedings of the American Philosophical Society held at Philadelphia for promoting useful knowledge. Philadelphia: American Philosophical Society url p. 11.
- Proceedings of the Entomological Society of Washington. Washington, etc.: Entomological Society of Washington url p. 197, p. 625.
- Proceedings of the International Ornithological Congress. [Canberra, etc.]Australian Academy of Science [etc.] url p. 648.
- Proceedings of the South London Entomological & Natural History Society. London [Eng]: South London Entomological and Natural history Society, [1897-1933] url p. 114, p. 114, p. 18, p. 57, p. 6, p. 83, p. 86, p. 88, p. 95, p. 96.
- Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London. London: Academic Press, [etc.], 1833-1965. url p. 305, p. 305, p. 444, p. 444, p. 453, p. 453, p. 499, p. 499.
- Proceedings. Dorchester [etc.] url p. 55.
- Psyche. Cambridge, Mass.: Cambridge Entomological Club url p. 67.
- Report of observations of attack of turnip fly in 1881. London: W.S. Sonnenschein, 1882. url p. 8.
- Report of observations of injurious insects and common farm pests, during the year. ..: with methods of prevention and remedy. London: Simpkin, Marshall & Co., 1885-1901? url , , p. 58.
- Report of the State Entomologist on injurious and other insects of the state of New York. Albany: Weed, Parsons and Co.; University of the State of New York, 1882- url p. 235, p. 304, p. 549.
- Report on the injurious and other insects of the State of New York. Albany: State Entomologist, 1882-1898. url p. 549.
- Report on the injurious insects and other animals observed in the Midland counties / by Walter E. Collinge. Birminingham [Eng.]: Cornish Brothers, 1903- url , p. 25, p. 37.
- Report on the ravages of the borer in coffee estates / by George Bidie. Madras: Gantz Brothers, 1869. url , .
- Reports and transactions. Cardiff [etc. url p. 55.
- Russian studies on age-associated physiology, biochemistry, and morphology; historic description with extensive bibliography, by V. N. Nikitin. Translation sponsored and distributed by Center for Aging Research, Division of General Medical Sciences, National Institutes of Health. [Washington, United States Dept. of Health, Eduction, and Welfare, Public Health Service], 1961 [i. e. 1962] url p. 105.
- Science-gossip. Berlin: R. Friedländer & Sohn, -1902. url p. 191, p. 307.
- Scientific results of the second Yarkand Mission; based upon the collections and notes of the late Ferdinand Stoliczka, PH.D., published by order of the Government of India. 1878-1891. London, Printed by Eyre and Spottiswoode, 1891. url p. 18, p. 18.
- Select extra-tropical plants readily eligible for industrial culture or naturalisation with indications of their native countries and some of their uses / by Baron Ferd. von Mueller. Melbourne: R. S. Brain, govt. printer, 1895. url p. 134.
- Some south Indian insects and other animals of importance considered especially from an economic point of view. By T. Bainbrigge Fletcher. .. Madras, Printed by the Superintendent, Government Press, 1914. url p. 547.
- Text book of zoology London, Sampson Low, Marston, 1896. url , .
- The American farmer's encyclopedia; embracing all the recent discoveries in agricultural chemistry, New York, A. O. Moore, 1858. url p. 379.
- The American florist: a weekly journal for the trade. Chicago: American Florist Company, [1885-1931] url p. 564.
- The Annals and magazine of natural history; zoology, botany, and geology being a continuation of the Annals combined with Loudon and Charlesworth's Magazine of Natural History. London, Taylor and Francis, Ltd. url p. 162, p. 226, p. 227.
- The Annals of Scottish natural history. Edinburgh: David Douglas, 1892-1911. url p. 158.
- The Book of gardening; a handbook of horticulture. London, C. Scribner's Sons, 1900. url .
- The Bradley bibliography; a guide to the literature of the woody plants of the world published before the beginning of the twentieth century; Cambridge, Riverside Press, 1911-18. url p. 209, p. 517.
- The British nature book; a complete handbook and guide to British nature study, embracing the mammals, birds, reptiles, fish, insects, plants, etc., in the United Kingdom, by S.N. Sedgwick. .. Edinburgh, T.C. & E.C. Jack, Ltd., 1922. url p. 254.
- The British noctuæ and their varieties / by J.W. Tutt. London: Swan, 1891-1892. url , , , , p. 113.
- The Bulletin of zoological nomenclature. London, International Trust for Zoological Nomenclature. url p. 76, p. 78.
- The Canadian entomologist. Ottawa [etc.]Entomological Society of Canada [etc.] url p. 82.
- The Canadian naturalist and geologist. Montreal: B. Dawson, 1856-1868. url p. 167.
- The Cottage gardener. [London: W.S. Orr, url .
- The English flower garden and home grounds: design and arrangement shown by existing examples of gardens in Great Britain and Ireland, followed by a description of the plants, shrubs, and trees for the open-air garden and their culture / by W. Robinson. London: J. Murray, 1911. url p. 408.
- The Entomologist's annual. London: John Van Voorst, 1855-1874. url p. 124.
- The Entomologist's monthly magazine. Oxford [etc.]Entomologist's Monthly Magazine Ltd. [etc.] url , p. 12, p. 142, p. 144, p. 163, p. 190, p. 197, p. 211, p. 22, p. 227, p. 23, p. 237, p. 237, p. 263, p. 263, p. 269, p. 271, p. 290, p. 47, p. 62, p. 66, p. 75, p. 75, p. 80, p. 88, p. 9, p. 91.
- The Entomologist's record and journal of variation. s.l., s.n. url , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , p. 10, p. 102, p. 102, p. 103, p. 106, p. 111, p. 114, p. 117, p. 118, p. 120, p. 120, p. 128, p. 129, p. 135, p. 141, p. 142, p. 15, p. 156, p. 16, p. 166, p. 17, p. 174, p. 176, p. 18, p. 181, p. 182, p. 184, p. 186, p. 189, p. 190, p. 20, p. 206, p. 208, p. 21, p. 210, p. 228, p. 229, p. 231, p. 233, p. 234, p. 243, p. 245, p. 25, p. 250, p. 253, p. 254, p. 265, p. 267, p. 271, p. 273, p. 275, p. 279, p. 280, p. 288, p. 29, p. 302, p. 307, p. 31, p. 311, p. 314, p. 319, p. 320, p. 323, p. 323, p. 334, p. 34, p. 340, p. 341, p. 343, p. 344, p. 349, p. 38, p. 43, p. 44, p. 46, p. 46, p. 47, p. 5, p. 54, p. 62, p. 71, p. 74, p. 80, p. 85, p. 9, p. 9, p. 91, p. 91, p. 93, p. 98.
- The Entomologist. London: Edward Newman, 1840- url p. 374.
- The Entomologist. London: Simpkin, Marshall & Co., [1877- url , , , , , , p. 10, p. 104, p. 104, p. 104, p. 105, p. 110, p. 111, p. 113, p. 126, p. 128, p. 128, p. 129, p. 131, p. 133, p. 133, p. 133, p. 134, p. 134, p. 134, p. 135, p. 135, p. 138, p. 138, p. 138, p. 140, p. 140, p. 145, p. 145, p. 145, p. 148, p. 15, p. 15, p. 155, p. 155, p. 156, p. 166, p. 169, p. 18, p. 195, p. 198, p. 20, p. 20, p. 205, p. 205, p. 206, p. 208, p. 208, p. 219, p. 22, p. 220, p. 220, p. 227, p. 227, p. 228, p. 23, p. 233, p. 233, p. 244, p. 244, p. 253, p. 253, p. 254, p. 254, p. 254, p. 264, p. 266, p. 269, p. 27, p. 275, p. 277, p. 279, p. 28, p. 285, p. 285, p. 289, p. 289, p. 29, p. 29, p. 29, p. 293, p. 293, p. 296, p. 296, p. 297, p. 297, p. 299, p. 30, p. 303, p. 304, p. 31, p. 31, p. 327, p. 33, p. 336, p. 35, p. 358, p. 360, p. 364, p. 365, p. 38, p. 407, p. 408, p. 408, p. 42, p. 43, p. 44, p. 46, p. 56, p. 57, p. 62, p. 64, p. 65, p. 67, p. 67, p. 67, p. 68, p. 68, p. 7, p. 70, p. 70, p. 8, p. 81, p. 83, p. 90, p. 90, p. 97.
- The Entomophthoreae of the United States. Boston, Pub. by the Society, 1888. url , .
- The Farmer's magazine. [London: Rogerson and Tuxford, 1834-1881. url p. 480.
- The Garden: an illustrated weekly journal of gardening in all its branches. London: [s.n., url , p. 159, p. 160, p. 232, p. 246, p. 281, p. 306, p. 310, p. 337, p. 441, p. 449, p. 460, p. 523, p. 63, p. 76.
- The Gardeners' chronicle and agricultural gazette. London: published for the proprietors, 1844-1873. url p. 1020, p. 1111, p. 521, p. 528, p. 672.
- The Gardeners' chronicle. 1841 London: published for the proprietors, 1841-1843. url p. 40.
- The Gardeners' chronicle: a weekly illustrated journal of horticulture and allied subjects. London: [Gardeners Chronicle], 1874-1955. url p. 269, p. 270, p. 446, p. 505, p. 570, p. 718.
- The Illustrated dictionary of gardening: a practical and scientific encyclopaedia of horticulture for gardeners and botanists / edited by George Nicholson. ..; assisted by J.W.H. Trail. .. and J. Garrett. ... London: L. Upcott Gill; 1887-1889. url p. 459.
- The Irish naturalist. Dublin: Eason & Son, Ltd., 1892- url , p. 104, p. 185, p. 303, p. 69.
- The Journal of horticulture, cottage gardener and country gentlemen. London: George W. Johnson and Robert Hogg, 1861-1877. url , p. 114, p. 137, p. 137, p. 202, p. 276, p. 332, p. 332, p. 333, p. 74, p. 79.
- The Journal of microscopy and natural science. [London: W. P. Collins, 1884- url p. 33.
- The Journal of the Bombay Natural History Society. 3 1888 Bombay: The Society, url p. 127, p. 233.
- The Naturalist. 1894 [Doncaster: Yorkshire Naturalists' Union], 1874- url p. 15, p. 180, p. 197, p. 198, p. 306, p. 316, p. 364, p. 64.
- The Philippine journal of science. Manila: Bureau of Science url p. 171.
- The Review of applied entomology. Farnham Royal, Eng., etc.: Commonwealth Agricultural Bureaux, etc. url , p. 120, p. 171, p. 203, p. 26, p. 267, p. 270, p. 271, p. 28, p. 29, p. 311, p. 34, p. 342, p. 359, p. 375, p. 389, p. 403, p. 410, p. 444, p. 466, p. 487, p. 494, p. 548, p. 557, p. 559, p. 581, p. 599, p. 603, p. 63, p. 633, p. 656, p. 715.
- The Scottish naturalist. Arbroath [etc.]T. Buncle & Co. [etc.] url p. 11, p. 134, p. 254.
- The Scottish naturalist. Perth [etc.]: Cowan & Co. [etc.], url p. 213, p. 96.
- The Victoria history of the county of Cornwall / London: [A. Constable and Company], 1906- url p. 209.
- The agricultural pests of India, and of eastern and southern Asia, vegetable and animal, injurious to man and his products. By Surgeon General Edward Green Balfour. .. London, B. Quaritch, 1887. url p. 119, p. 121, p. 23, p. 34, p. 44.
- The birds of Norfolk, with remarks on their habits, migration, and local distribution: by Henry Stevenson. London: J. Van Voorst, 1866-1890. url p. 273, p. 273.
- The birds of Norfolk: with remarks on their habits, migration, and local distribution / by Henry Stevenson. London: J. Van Voorst, 1866-1890. url p. 273.
- The book of the garden, Edinburgh, W. Blackwood and Sons, 1853-55. url .
- The book of the potato. A practical handbook dealing with the cultivation of the potato in allotment, garden and field; also the pests and diseases thereof; together with selections and descriptions of the most productive, b By T. W. Sanders. .. London, W.H. & L. Collingridge, [191-] url p. 149.
- The century supplement to the dictionary of gardening, a practical and scientific encyclopaedia of horticulture for gardeners and botanists / by Geo. Nicholson. .. [et al.]. Hyde Park, Mass.: Geo. T. King; 1901. url p. 30.
- The common moths of England / by the Rev. J.G. Wood. ..; with illustrations by E. Smith, T.W. Wood, and W.S. Coleman. London: George Routhledge. ..,  url p. 113.
- The cyclopaedia of anatomy and physiology. Ed. by Robert B. Todd. London: Longman, Brown, Green, Longmans, & Roberts, 1835-59. url p. 867.
- The diseases of crops and their remedies: a handbook of economic biology for farmers and students. London: G. Bell, 1890. url , .
- The farmer's and planter's encyclopædia of rural affairs; Philadelphia, J. B. Lippincott & co., 1868. url p. 379.
- The fertilisation of flowers. Translated and edited by D'Arcy W. Thompson, with a preface by Charles Darwin. LondonMacmillan1883 url p. 534.
- The flora of Harrow: by J. Cosmo Melvill. Harrow, Green and Co.;1876. url p. 160.
- The garden... London, 1872- url , .
- The history of Glanville's Wootton, in the County of dorset, including its zoology and botany / by C.W. Dale. London, Hatchards, 1878. url p. 163.
- The influence of man on animal life in Scotland; study in faunal evolution, by James Ritchie. .. Cambridge: University press, 1920. url p. 528.
- The life-story of insects, by Geo. H. Carpenter... Cambridge [Eng.]G. P. Putnam's sons, 1913. url p. 129, p. 98.
- The life-story of insects. Cambridge, University Press, 1913. url p. 129, p. 98.
- The mutation theory; experiments and observations on the origin of species in the vegetable kingdom, by Hugo de Vries. Tr. by J. B. Farmer and A. D. Darbishire. Chicago, Open Court Pub. Co., 1909-10. url p. 342, p. 544.
- The natural history of animals: the animal life of the world in its various aspects and relations, by J. R. Ainsworth Davis. London, The Gresham publishing company, 1903-04. url , p. 352.
- The naturalisation of animals & plants in New Zealand, Cambridge [Eng.]University Press, 1922. url .
- The naturalist. London: Simpkin, Marshall, 1865- url , p. 120.
- The ontogeny of insects; [papers]. London, Academic Press url p. 285, p. 286, p. 288, p. 289.
- The potato in field and garden. By W.J. Malden. .. London, W.A. May, 1895. url p. 169.
- The transactions of the Yorkshire Naturalists' Union. Leeds [etc.] url p. 79.
- The transformations (or metamorphoses) of insects (Insecta, Myriapoda, Arachnida, and Crustacea.) Being an adaptation, for English readers, of M. Émile Blanchard's "Metamorphoses, murs et instincts des insects [!], " and a compilation from the works of Newport, Charles Darwin, and others / By P.Martin Duncan. London, Cassell, Petter & Galpin, [1882?] url p. 489.
- The variation of animals in nature, by G.C. Robson. .. and O.W. Richards. .. with 2 coloured plates and 30 illustrations in the text. London, Longmans, Green and co. url p. 144.
- The various contrivances by which orchids are fertilised by insects / by Charles Darwin. Londoon: J. Murray, 1899. url p. 75.
- The viruses; biochemical, biological, and biophysical properties, edited by F. M. Burnet [and] W. M. Stanley. New York, Academic Press, 1959. url p. 378.
- Transactions and proceedings of the New Zealand Institute. Wellington: New Zealand Institute. url p. 631.
- Transactions of the Entomological Society of London. London, The Society. url , , , p. 108, p. 170, p. 205, p. 222, p. 243, p. 349, p. 58, p. 8.
- Transactions of the Hertfordshire Natural History Society and Field Club. London: Gurney & Jackson, 1879- url p. 82.
- Transactions of the Highland and Agricultural Society of Scotland. Edinburgh: [The Society], 1845- url p. 96.
- Transactions of the Natural History Society of Northumberland, Durham, and Newcastle-upon-Tyne. Newcastle-upon-Tyne [et al.]F. & W. Dodsworth [et al.]1865/67-1973. url p. 106, p. 292.
- Various contrivances by which orchids are fertilised by insects. New York, Appleton, 1892. url p. 75.
- Vegetable wasps and plant worms: a popular history of entomogenous fungi, or fungi parasitic upon insects / by M.C. Cooke. London; Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge, 1892. url p. 350.
- Wild life of the world: a descriptive survey of the geographical distribution of animals / London; F. Warne and co., 1916. url p. 250.
- Works on forestry [by] J.C. Brown. Edinburgh, Oliver and Boyd; [etc., etc.]1883-87. url p. 268.
- Zoologist. London.1843-1916 url p. 321, p. 433, p. 9267.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 9, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal February 16, 2008:
- Biologiezentrum der Oberoesterreichischen Landesmuseen, Biologiezentrum Linz
- University of Helsinki, Department of Applied Biology, European Moth Nights
- inatura - Erlebnis Naturschau Dornbirn, inatura - Erlebnis Naturschau Dornbirn
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 2978010
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: Lep-248378.0
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 3189846
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 631083