Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Dutch:
Common Names in English:
Eurasian Sparrowhawk, European Sparrowhawk, Northern Sparrow Hawk, Northern Sparrowhawk, sparrow hawk, Sparrowhawk
Common Names in French:
Common Names in German:
Common Names in Hebrew:
Common Names in Italian:
Common Names in Japanese:
Common Names in Russian:
Common Names in Spanish:
Common Names in Swedish:
Typically found in a lake at a mean distance from sea level of 338 meters (1,108 feet).
List of Habitats
- 1 Forest
- 1.1 Forest - Boreal
- 1.4 Forest - Temperate
- 1.6 Forest - Subtropical/Tropical Moist Lowland
- 2 Savanna
- 2.1 Savanna - Dry
- 3 Shrubland
- 3.3 Shrubland - Boreal
- 3.4 Shrubland - Temperate
- 3.5 Shrubland - Subtropical/Tropical Dry
- 3.8 Shrubland - Mediterranean-type Shrubby Vegetation
- 14 Artificial/Terrestrial
- 14.1 Artificial/Terrestrial - Arable Land
- 14.3 Artificial/Terrestrial - Plantations
- 14.4 Artificial/Terrestrial - Rural Gardens
- 14.5 Artificial/Terrestrial - Urban Areas [more info]
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Bateson, 1885
- Cuvier, 1812
- Jawed Vertebrates
- Goodrich, 1930
- Linnaeus, 1758
- Gauthier, 1986
- (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Pycraft, 1900
- Seebohm, 1890
- Sharpe, 1874
- (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Infraorder: Falconides () - Sharpe, 1874
- Suborder: Accipitres () - (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Order: Falconiformes () - Sharpe, 1874
- Superorder: Falconimorphae () - Seebohm, 1890
- Cohort: Neognathae () - Pycraft, 1900
- Infraclass: Aves () - (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Subclass: Avialae () - Gauthier, 1986
- Class: Aves () - Linnaeus, 1758
- Superclass: Tetrapoda () - Goodrich, 1930
- Infraphylum: Gnathostomata () - auct. - Jawed Vertebrates
- Subphylum: Vertebrata () - Cuvier, 1812 - Vertebrates
- Phylum: Chordata () - Bateson, 1885 - Chordates
- Infrakingdom: Chordonia () - (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Deuterostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Accipiter nisus (Linnaeus, 1758) • Accipiter nisus Linnaeus
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 17-Oct-2001
Members of the genus Accipiter
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 86 species and subspecies in this genus:
A. albogularis (Pied Goshawk) · A. albogularis albogularis (Pied Goshawk) · A. badius (Little Banded Goshawk) · A. badius badius (Little Banded Goshawk) · A. bicolor (Bicoloured Sparrow Hawk) · A. bicolor bicolor (Bicoloured Sparrow Hawk) · A. brachyurus (New Britain Collared Sparrow Hawk) · A. brevipes (Levant Sparrow Hawk) · A. buergersi (Chestnut-Shouldered Goshawk) · A. butleri (Nicobar Sparrowhawk) · A. butleri butleri (Nicobar Sparrowhawk) · A. castanilius (Chestnut-Bellied Sparrow Hawk) · A. chionogaster (White-Breasted Hawk) · A. cirrhocephalus (Australian Collared Sparrow Hawk) · A. cirrhocephalus cirrhocephalus (Australian Collared Sparrow Hawk) · A. cirrocephalus (Australian Collared Sparrow Hawk) · A. cirrocephalus cirrocephalus (Australian Collared Sparrow Hawk) · A. collaris (Semi-Collared Sparrow Hawk) · A. cooperi (Big Blue Darter) · A. cooperii (Big Blue Darter) · A. erythrauchen (Grey Moluccan Collared Sparrow Hawk) · A. erythronemius (Rufous Thighed Hawk) · A. erythropus (Western Little Sparrowhawk) · A. erythropus erythropus (Red-Thighed Sparrow Hawk) · A. fasciatus (Christmas Island Nighthawk) · A. fasciatus fasciatus (Australian Goshawk) · A. fasciatus natalis (Christmas Island Nighthawk) · A. francesiae (Frances' Sparrow Hawk) · A. francesii (Anjouan Island Sparrow Hawk) · A. francesii francesii (Frances' Sparrow Hawk) · A. francesii pusillus (Anjouan Island Sparrow Hawk) · A. gentilis (Eurasian Goshawk) · A. gentilis apache (Apache Northern Goshawk) · A. gentilis atricapillus (Northern Goshawk) · A. gentilis gallinarum (Northern Goshawk) · A. gentilis gentilis (Northern Goshawk) · A. gentilis laingi (Northern Goshawk) · A. griseiceps (Sulawesi Crested Goshawk) · A. gularis (Japanese Lesser Sparrow Hawk) · A. gularis gularis (Japanese Lesser Sparrow Hawk) · A. gundlachi (Gundlach's Hawk) · A. gundlachii (Gundlach's Hawk) · A. gundlachi gundlachi (Gundlach's Hawk) · A. haplochrous (New-Caledonia Sparrow Hawk) · A. henicogrammus (Moluccan Goshawk) · A. henstii (Henst's Goshawk) · A. imitator (Imitator Sparrow Hawk) · A. luteoschistaceus (Slaty-Backed Goshawk) · A. madagascariensis (Madagascar Sparrow Hawk) · A. melanochlamys (Black Mantled Goshawk) · A. melanoleucus (Black Sparrow Hawk) · A. melanoleucus melanoleucus (Great Sparrow Hawk) · A. meyerianus (Meyer's Goshawk) · A. minullus (African Little Sparrow Hawk) · A. minullus minullus (African Little Sparrow Hawk) · A. nanus (Celebes Little Sparrow Hawk) · A. nisus (Northern Sparrow Hawk) · A. nisus nisus (Northern Sparrow Hawk) · A. novaehollandiae (White Goshawk) · A. novaehollandiae novaehollandiae (White Goshawk) · A. ovampensis (Ovampo Sparrow Hawk) · A. poliocephalus (New Guinea Grey-Headed Goshawk) · A. poliogaster (Gray-Bellied Hawk) · A. princeps (New Britain Grey-Headed Goshawk) · A. radiatus (Doria's Goshawk) · A. rhodogaster (Vinous-Breasted Sparrow Hawk) · A. rhodogaster rhodogaster (Vinous-Breasted Sparrow Hawk) · A. rufitorques (Fiji Goshawk) · A. rufiventris (Red-Breasted Sparrowhawk) · A. rufiventris rufiventris (Rufous-Breasted Sparrow Hawk) · A. soloensis (Chinese Sparrowhawk) · A. striatus (Slate-Colored Hawk) · A. striatus perobscurus (Sharp-Shinned Hawk) · A. striatus striatus (Sharp-Shinned Hawk) · A. striatus suttoni (Sharp-Shinned Hawk) · A. striatus velox (Sharp-Shinned Hawk) · A. superciliosus (Tiny Sparrow Hawk) · A. tachiro (African Goshawk) · A. tachiro tachiro (African Goshawk) · A. toussenelii (Red-Chested Goshawk) · A. trinotatus (Spot-Tailed Sparrow Hawk) · A. trivirgatus (Asian Crested Goshawk) · A. trivirgatus trivirgatus (Asian Crested Goshawk) · A. ventralis (Plain-Breasted Hawk) · A. virgatus (Bersa Sparrow Hawk) · A. virgatus virgatus (Besra Sparrow Hawk)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- , 274 p.port.22 cm. url , p. 123.
- A List of British birds / London: British Ornithologists' Union, 1915. url , .
- A List of British birds / London: John Van Voorst, 1883. url , , .
- A List of birds' eggs in the collection of Mr. William Stoate, Wembdon, Bridgewater. [188-?] url p. 4.
- A birdlover's year. London: Nash, 1915. url p. 147.
- A book of birds. 1908 London, Sidney Appleton, 1908. url index , p. 135, p. 152.
- A catalogue of the collection of birds formed by the late Hugh Edwin Strickland. Cambridge, Univ. Press, 1882. url p. 495.
- A dictionary of birds, London, A. and C. Black, 1893-1896. url p. 185, p. 898.
- A dictionary of birds, by Alfred Newton, assisted by Hans Gadow, with contributions from Richard Lydekker. .. Charles S. Roy. .. and Robert W. Shufeldt. .. London, A. and C. Black, 1893-1896. url p. 185, p. 185, p. 898.
- A glossary of Greek birds. OxfordClarendon Press1895 url p. 158.
- A glossary of popular, local and old-fashioned names, of British birds; London: H. Sotheran & Co., 1902. url p. 11.
- A guide to the birds of Nepal Christopher Helm (Publishers) Ltd. url p. 114.
- A guide to the natural history of the Isle of Wight: a series of contributions by specialists relating to the various branches of natural history and kindred subjects / edited by Frank Morey. Newport, Isle of Wight: The County Press, 1909. url p. 513.
- A hand-book to the birds of Great Britain / by R. Bowdler Sharpe. London: E. Lloyd, 1896-1897. url p. 141, p. 142.
- A hand-list of British birds, with an account of the distribution of each species in the British Isles and abroad. By Ernst Hartert, F. C. R. Jourdain, N. F. Ticehurst and H. F. Withersby. London, Witherby, 1912. url p. 118.
- A hand-list of genera and species of birds of the Indian empire, by E. C. Stuart Baker. .. Bombay, Printed by order of the committee of the Bombay natural history society url p. 178.
- A hand-list of the birds of the Malay Peninsula, south of the Isthmus of Kra. By Herbert C. Robinson. .. Kuala LumpurF. M. S. government printing office, 1910. url p. 6.
- A handbook of British birds, showing the distribution of the resident and migratory species in the British islands, with an index to the records of the rarer visitants, by J.E. Harting. .. London, J.C. Nimmo, 1901. url p. 12, p. 495, p. 509.
- A handbook of British birds: showing the distribution of the resident and migratory species in the British islands, with an index to the records of the rarer visitants / by J. E. Harting. London: J. van Voorst, 1872. url p. 179, p. 179, p. 4, p. 4.
- A handbook of European birds for the use of field naturalists and collectors. By James Backhouse. London, Gurney and Jackson, 1890. url p. 161, p. 162.
- A handbook of the vertebrate fauna of Yorkshire: being a catalogue of British mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians, and fishes / by Wm. Eagle Clarke, and Wm. Denison Roebuck. London: Reeve, 1881. url p. 45, p. 45.
- A handbook to the birds of British Bermah, including those found in the adjoining state of Karennee, by Eugene W. Oates. .. London, R.H. Porter, 1883. url , p. 181.
- A handbook to the case arranged as an introduction to the study of birds' eggs / the Horniman Museum, Forest Hill, S.E. London: London County council, 1905? url , p. 5.
- A history of British birds / by William Yarrell, V.P.L.S., F.Z.S. London: John van Voorst, 1871-1885. url p. 517, p. 517, p. 88, p. 9, p. 9.
- A history of British birds, London, Pub. for the author by R. H. Porter [etc.]1883-85. url .
- A history of British birds, with coloured illustrations of their eggs. By Henry Seebohm. .. London, Pub. for the author by R.H. Porter [etc.]1883-85. url , p. 135.
- A history of British birds. London, J. Van Voorst, 1871-85. url , , p. 517, p. 88, p. 90.
- A history of the birds of Ceylon / London: Published by the author, 1880 [i.e. 1878-1880] url , p. 29.
- A history of the birds of Europe, not observed in the British Isles / by C. R. Bree. 1 1875 London: G. Bell & Sons, 1875-1876. url p. 55, p. 59.
- A history of the birds of Europe: including all the species inhabiting the western palaearctic region / London: Published by the Author, 1871-1881. url , , , p. 597, p. 599, p. 638.
- A key to the birds of the lower Yangtse Valley, with popular descriptions of the species commonly seen. By N. Gist Gee. .. and Lacy I. Moffett. Shanghai, Shanghai Mercury Limited, Print., 1917. url p. 50.
- A list of British birds / compiled by a committee of the British Ornithologists' Union. London: J. van Voorst, 1883. url , p. 209, p. 98.
- A list of British birds, comp. by a committee of the British ornithologists' union. London: British ornithologists' union, 1915. url , p. 144.
- A list of British birds. The genera arranged according to Sundevall's method. The nomenclature revised by Henry Thornton Wharton. London, J. Van Voorst, 1877. url p. 11.
- A list of European birds, including all those found in the western palaearctic area, with a supplement containing species said to have occurred, but which, for various reasons, are inadmissible. London, R.H. Porter, 1898. url p. 38.
- A list of European birds: including all species found in the western palaearctic region: the nomenclature carefully revised / by Henry E. Dresser. London: H.E. Dresser, 1881. url p. 24.
- A list of the birds of Norfolk: with remarks on the general ornithology of the county / by Henry Stevenson. Sheffield: Wm. White, F. Parsonage, 1864. url p. 5.
- A list of the diurnal birds of prey, with references and annotations; also a record of specimens preserved in the Norfolk and Norwich Museum. By John Henry Gurney. London, J. Van Voorst, 1884. url p. 168.
- A manual of Philippine birds / by Richard C. McGregor. Manila: Bureau of Printing, 1909. url p. 219.
- A manual of Philippine birds, by Richard C. McGregor. .. Manila, Bureau of Printing, 1909. url p. 219.
- A manual of palæarctic birds, by H. E. Dresser. London, The author, 1902-03. url , p. 531, p. 886.
- A manual of the Nílagiri district in the Madras Presidency. Compiled and edited by H. B. Grigg. Madras, Printed by E. Keys at the Government Press, 1880. url p. 160.
- A natural history of the nests and eggs of British birds / by the Rev. F.O. Morris. London: John C. Nimmo, 1896. url .
- A pocket-book of British birds, by E.F.M. Elms. London: West, Newman & co. [etc.], 1906. url p. 71.
- A revised catalogue of the birds of China and its islands, with descriptions of new species, references to former notes, and occasional remarks. By Robert Swinhoe. London, 1871 url p. 5.
- A spring and summer in Lapland / by "an old bushman." London: Groombridge, 1871. url p. 252.
- A student's text-book of zoology / by Adam Sedgwick. London: S. Sonnenschein and co.; 1898-1909. url p. 463.
- A student's text-book of zoology, by Adam Sedgwick. .. London, Macmillan Co., 1898-1909. url p. 463.
- A study of the incubation periods of birds; what determines their lengths, Denver, Col., The Kendrick-Bellamy Co., 1917. url , .
- A supplementary list of the marine fishes of India: with descriptions of 2 new genera and 8 new species / Calcutta: Asiatic Society, 1897. url p. 567, p. 569.
- A survey and record of Woolwich and West Kent containing descriptions and records, brought up-to-date, of geology, botany, zoology, archaeology and industries of the district, with a brief photographic commentary, in commemoration of the 12th Ann General editors, C.H. Grinling, T.A. Ingram [and] B.C. Polkinghorne. Woolwich: Labour Representation Print. Co., 1909. url p. 249.
- A synopsis of the Accipitres (diurnal birds of prey): comprising species and subspecies described up to 1920, with their characters and distribution / London: Wheldon & Wesley, 1922. url , , , , , , .
- A synoptical list of the Accipitres (diurnal birds of prey) Comprising species and subspecies, described up to 1919, with their characters and distribution, by H. Kirke Swann. London, J. Wheldon, 1920. url p. 31, p. 31.
- A text-book of agricultural zoology, and London, W. Blackwood and sons, 1913. url .
- A tour in Sutherlandshire: with extracts from the field-books of a sportsman and naturalist / with an Appendix on the fauna of Sutherland by J.A. Harvie-Brown and T.E. Buckley. Edinburgh, Douglas, 1884. url p. 332.
- A vertebrate fauna of the Orkney Islands / by Thomas E. Buckley and J.A. Harvie-Brown. Edinburgh: D. Douglas, 1891. url p. 151, p. 305.
- A year of sport and natural history: shooting, hunting, coursing, falconry and fishing with chapters on birds of prey, the nidification of birds and the habits of British wild birds and animals / edited by Oswald Crawfurd. London: Chapman and Hall, 1895. url p. 73.
- A year with nature 1900 url .
- Abstract of proceedings of the South London Entomological & Natural History Society. London [Eng.]: South London Entomological and Natural History Society, [1885-1896] url p. 203, p. 36.
- Abstract of the proceedings of the Linnaean Society of New York City, for the official year. . [New York]: The Society, [1889-1932] url p. 56.
- Acta Societatis pro Fauna et Flora Fennica. 47 1920 Helsinki: Societas, 1875-1980. url p. 108, p. 121, p. 14, p. 201, p. 23, p. 237, p. 245, p. 25, p. 259, p. 27, p. 30, p. 31, p. 33, p. 34, p. 41, p. 41, p. 43, p. 47, p. 54.
- Among British birds in their nesting haunts: illustrated by the camera / by Oswin A. J. Lee. Edinburgh: David Douglas, [1896-9?] url p. 27.
- An account of the flowering plants, ferns and allies of Harleston. With a sketch of the geology, climate, and natural characteristics of the neighbourhood. Compiled and edited by Francis William Galpin. To which are added Observations on the birds of the district, by Charles Candler. London, Bartlett, 1888. url p. 134.
- An illustrated dictionary of scientific terms. New York: G. P. Putnam's Sons, pref. 1878. url p. 159, p. 308.
- Anales de la Sociedad Española de Historia Natural. Madrid: La Sociedad, url p. 133, p. 133, p. 173, p. 179, p. 179, p. 181, p. 181, p. 182, p. 182, p. 23, p. 23, p. 87, p. 87.
- Anatomischer Anzeiger. Jena: G. Fischer, 1886- url p. 136, p. 137, p. 138.
- Annotated CITES Appendices and Reservations CITES url p. 65.
- Ardea. Amsterdam, etc., Nederlandse Ornithlogische Unie, etc. url p. 119, p. 62.
- Aves / 1891 London: Printed by Taylor and Francis, 1891. url p. 5, p. iii.
- Biologia centrali-americana: Aves / [London: R.H. Porter], 1879-1904. url .
- Bird life in arctic Norway: a popular brochure / by Robert Collett; translated by Alfred Heneage Cocks. London: H.R. Porter, 1894. url .
- Bird life in wild Wales, by J. A. Walpole-Bond. Illustrated with photographs by Oliver G. Pike. London: T. Fisher Unwin, 1904. url p. 23.
- Bird life in wild Wales. Illustrated with photographs by Oliver G. Pike. London, T. F. Unwin, 1903. url p. 23.
- Bird lore. New York City: Macmillan Co., c1899-c1940. url p. 49.
- Bird-hunting through wild Europe / New York: D. Appleton, 1909. url .
- Bird-life of the borders on moorland and sea, with faunal notes extending over forty years. By Abel Chapman. With coloured map, and numerous illustrations. London, Gurney and Jackson, 1907. url p. 149.
- Bird-lore. New York, National Association of Audubon Societies. url p. 49, p. 49.
- Birds / by A.H. Evans. London: Macmillan, 1899 (1909 printing). url p. 157, p. 158, p. 589.
- Birds from Moidart and elsewhere / [by] Mrs. Hugh Blackburn. Edinburgh: David Douglas, 1895. url p. 25.
- Birds in their haunts, by the late C. A. Johns. London, E. P. Dutton, 1909. url .
- Birds of Britain, London, A. and C. Black, 1907. url .
- Birds of Britain, by J. Lewis Bonhote. .. with 100 illustrations in colour selected by H.E. Dresser from his Birds of Europe.' London: A. and C. Black, 1907. url p. 207.
- Birds of Marlborough; being a contribution to the ornithology of the district, by Everard F. Im Thurn. With an appendix. Marlborough, Perkins, "Times" office; [etc., etc.]1870. url p. 109.
- Birds of the British Isles, drawn and described by John Duncan; with an introd. by Charles Dixon. London, W. Scott, 1898. url p. 205.
- Birds of the Chukchi Peninsula and Wrangel Island = (Ptitsy Chukotskogo poluostrova i ostrova Vrangelya) / L.A. Portenko; translated from Russian [by P.M. Rao]. New Delhi: Published for the Smithsonian Institution and the National Science Foundation, Washington, D.C., by Amerind Pub. Co., 1981- url p. 349.
- Birds of the Colorado valley. .. scientific and popular information concerning North American ornithology. Washington, Gov't print. off., 1878. url p. 615.
- Birds of the Humber District / by John Cordeaux. London: Van Voorst, 1872. url p. 223, p. 7.
- Birds of the plains, by Douglas Dewar. .. with sixteen illustrations from photographs of living birds, by Captain F. D. S. Fayrer, I. M. S. London, J. Lane;1909  url p. 243, p. 243.
- Birds of the world for young people, New York, F.A. Stokes Company url .
- Birds of the world; a popular account. With a chapter on the anatomy of birds, by Frederic A. Lucas; the whole edited by Robert Ridgway. New York, Holt, 1909. url p. 261.
- Birds of western China obtained by the Kelley-Roosevelts expedition. 18 1932 Chicago, 1932. url p. 348.
- Birds useful and birds harmful, by Ottó Herman. .. and J. A. Owen. Manchester, University press, 1909. url , .
- Birds. By Eugene W. Oates. London: Taylor and Francis; [etc., etc.], 1889-98. url p. 402.
- Birds. London, Taylor and Francis, 1889-1898. url .
- Birds: the elements of ornithology; with 174 illustrations whereof 140 are original drawings / by St. George Mivart. London: R.H. Porter,  url p. 123.
- Blood immunity and blood relationship; a demonstration of certain blood-relationships amongst animals by means of the precipitin test for blood, by George H. F. Nuttall...Including original researches by G. S. Graham-Smith...and T. S. P. Strangeways. Cambridge, University press, 1904. url p. 274.
- Boletim da Sociedade Portuguesa de Cie?ncias Naturais. Lisboa, Sociedade Portuguesa de Cie?ncias Naturais, 1908- url p. 120.
- Britain's birds and their nests / described by A. Landsborough Thomson; with introduction by J. Arthur Thomson, illustrated by George Rankin. London: W. & R. Chambers, 1910. url p. 175.
- British birds in their haunts / by the Rev. C. A. Johns; with illustrations on wood, drawn by Wolf, engraved by Whymper. London: Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge, 1867. url p. 27.
- British birds in their haunts, by the late Rev. C.A. Johns. .. ed., rev., and annotated, by J.A. Owen. .. Illustrated with 64 coloured plates (256 figures) by William Foster. .. With a glossary of common and provincial names and te London, E.P. Dutton & Co., 1909. url p. 156.
- British birds in their haunts. .. Edited, revised, and annotated by J.A. Owen. .. Illustrated with 64 coloured plates by William Foster. With a glossary of common and provincial names and of technical terms. London, Dutton url p. 156.
- British birds with their nests and eggs London, Brumby & Clarke[1896-98] url , .
- British birds' eggs and nests: popularly described / By J. C. Atkinson; with coloured illustrations by W. S. Coleman. London: G. Routledge and Sons, 1901. url p. 50.
- British birds' nests, how, where, and when to find and identify them, by Richard Kearton, F. Z. S. Illustrated from photographs by Cherry and Richard Kearton, with coloured and Rembrandt plates. London, Cassell and Company, Limited, 1908. url p. 381.
- British birds, London, Longmans, Green, and co., 1921. url , p. 206, p. 353.
- British birds, by W. H. Hudson, C.M.Z.S. With a chapter on structure and classification by Frank E. Beddard, F.R.S. With 8 coloured plates from original drawings by A. Thorburn and 8 plates and 100 figures in black London, Longmans, Green, and co., 1921. url , p. 206, p. 353.
- British birds, by W.H. Hudson, C.M.Z.S. With a chapter on structure and classification by Frank E. Beddard, F. R.S. With 8 coloured plates from original drawings by A. Thorburn and 8 plates and 100 figures in black London, Longmans, Green, and co., 1895. url , p. 206.
- British birds. London, Witherby & Co. url p. 108, p. 180, p. 186, p. 188, p. 244, p. 302, p. 302, p. 341, p. 46, p. 84.
- British birds: key list. London, R. H. Porter, 1892. url p. 29.
- British nesting birds: a complete record of every species which nests in the British Isles / by W. Percival Westell. London: J.M. Dent, 1910. url p. 11, p. 58.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url p. 138, p. 146, p. 176, p. 197, p. 248, p. 277, p. 288, p. 291, p. 298, p. 301, p. 302, p. 394, p. 397, p. 404, p. 405, p. 411, p. 481, p. 783, p. 80.
- Bulletin of miscellaneous information. Additional Series. Royal Gardens, Kew. 5 1906 [Kew, Surrey: Royal Botanic Gardens], 1898-1936; url p. 8.
- Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History). London: The Museum, 1950-1977. url p. 133, p. 142, p. 156, p. 188, p. 198, p. 200, p. 203, p. 207, p. 211, p. 223.
- Bulletin of the British Ornithologists' Club. London: The Club, 1893- url , , , , p. 108, p. 120, p. 151, p. 159, p. 179, p. 242, p. 275, p. 282, p. 32, p. 34, p. 81, p. 85, p. 88, p. 93, p. 97.
- Bulletin of the Museum of Comparative Zoology at Harvard College. Cambridge, Mass.: The Museum, 1863- url p. 238, p. 274, p. 320, p. 321, p. 327, p. 375, p. 376.
- Bulletin of the United States Geological and Geographical Survey of the Territories / Department of the Interior. Washington: Government Printing Office, 1874- url p. 124.
- By meadow, grove and stream: an introduction to nature study / by Henry Hilton Brown. .. London: Religious Tract Society, [1907?] url , p. 91.
- Cage and chamber-birds; their natural history, habits, food, diseases, management, and modes of capture. Tr. from the German of J. M. Bechstein, M. D. With considerable additions on structure, migration, and economy, comp. from various sources by H. G. Adams. Incorporating the whole of Sweet's British wa London, G. Bell and sons, 1892. url p. 56.
- Cassell's natural history / by F. Martin Duncan. London; Cassell and Co., 1913. url p. 301, p. 411.
- Cassell's natural history. Ed. by P. Martin Duncan. .. London [etc]Cassell & Company, Limited, 1891-96. url p. 391.
- Catalogue of British Birds in the Collection of the British Museum / by G.R. Gray. London, 1863. url p. 5.
- Catalogue of scientific papers (1800-1900) Comp. by the Royal society of London. Cambridge, C. J. Clay and sons, 1867-1902; url p. 32.
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. Compiled by the Royal Society of London. London, C.J. Clay and Sons, 1867-1902 [etc.] Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1914-25. url p. 32.
- Catalogue of the Birds in the British Museum. London, 1874-98. url p. 130, p. 132, p. 457.
- Catalogue of the Collection of Birds' Eggs in the British Museum / By E. W. Oates [and afterwards] by S. G. Reid [and] W. R. Ogilvie-Grant. London, 1901-12. url p. 247, p. 249, p. 250, p. 251.
- Catalogue of the Edward E. Ayer Ornithological Library. .. 16 1926 Chicago, 1926. url p. 359, p. 78.
- Catalogue of the Hemiptera (Heteroptera) with biological and anatomical references, lists of foodplants and parasites, etc. prefaced by a discussion on nomenclature, and an analytical table of families, by G. W. Kirkaldy. Berlin, F. L. Dames, 1909- url p. 378.
- Catalogue of the birds found in Ceylon: with some remarks on their habits and local distribution, and descriptions of two new species peculiar to the island / London: [s.n.], 1872. url p. 411.
- Catalogue of the birds of Suffolk, with an introduction and remarks on their distribution. London, J. Van Voorst, 1884-86. url p. 30.
- Catalogue of the collection of birds' eggs in the British museum (Natural history). London: Printed by order of the Trustees, 1901-12. url p. 247, p. 249, p. 251.
- Catalogue of the specimens illustrating the osteology of vertebrated animals, recent and extinct, contained in the Museum of the Royal College of Surgeons of England. London, 1891. url p. 212.
- Check-list and bibliography on the occurrence of insects in birds' nests. Ames, Iowa State College Press url p. 102, p. 106, p. 107, p. 108, p. 118, p. 119, p. 120, p. 130, p. 147, p. 152, p. 153, p. 156, p. 157, p. 164, p. 182, p. 197, p. 200, p. 212, p. 221, p. 222, p. 262, p. 266, p. 281, p. 288, p. 292, p. 297, p. 298, p. 302, p. 313, p. 314, p. 316, p. 398, p. 399, p. 48, p. 53, p. 55, p. 58, p. 78, p. 98.
- Check-list of North American birds: the species of birds of North America from the Arctic through Panama, including the West Indies and Hawaiian Islands / prepared by the Committee on Classification and Nomenclature of the American Orni Lawrence, Kan.: American Ornithologists' Union, 1983. url p. 108, p. 780.
- Check-list of birds of the world. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1931-1987. url p. 219, p. 220, p. 341, p. 342.
- Check-list of the species of fishes known from the Philippine Archipelago, Manila, Bureau of printing, 1910. url p. 219.
- Checklist of CITES Species CITES, WCMC url p. 148, p. 91.
- Checklist of CITES Species: a reference to the appendices to the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora CITES url p. 120, p. 125, p. 218, p. 51.
- Checklist of birds listed in the CITES appendices and in EC Regulation 338/97 JNCC url p. 18.
- Coloured figures of the birds of the British Islands / issued by Lord Lilford. 1 1885 London: R. H. Porter, 1885-1897. url plate , plate , plate , p. 149, p. 64, p.
- Coloured figures of the eggs of British birds: with descriptive notices / by Henry Seebohm; edited (after the author's death) by R. Bowdler Sharpe. Sheffield: Pawson and Brailsford, 1896. url p. 19.
- Contributions to the flora and fauna of Repton and neighbourhood. London, Bemrose, 1881. url p. 76.
- Controlled natural selection and value marketing, by J. C. Mottram. London, New York [etc.], Longmans, Green and Co., 1914. url p. 116.
- Directory of Wetlands of International Importance IUCN url p. 145, p. 244, p. 433.
- Early annals of ornithology, London, H. F. & G. Witherby, 1921. url .
- Exotic ornithology: containing figures and descriptions of new or rare species of American birds / 1869 London: Bernard Quaritch, 1869. url p. 27, p. 33.
- Experiment station record. Washington: G.P.O., 1889-1946. url , p. 530.
- Familiar wild birds / [illustrations by A. Thornburn and others]. London: Cassel, 1903. url , .
- Familiar wild birds / by W. Swaysland; with coloured plates. London; New York: Cassell, 1883. url p. 161, p. 9.
- Fauna, flora & geology of the Clyde area, ed. by G.F. Scott Elliot, Malcolm Laurie and J. Barclay Murdoch. Glasgow, Pub. by the local committee for the meeting of the British Association, 1901. url p. 164.
- Fleas, flukes & cuckoos; a study of bird parasites, by Miriam Rothschild and Theresa Clay. New York, Macmillan, 1957. url p. 294.
- Forest birds, their haunts and habits; short studies from nature, by Harry F. Witherby. London, K. Paul, Trench, Trübner & co., ltd., 1894. url p. 60, p. 60.
- From Tonkin to India by the sources of the Irawadi, January '95-January '96. By Prince Henri d'Orléans. Tr. by Hamley Bent, M. A. illustrated by G. Vuillier. .. N.Y.: Dodd, 1898. url p. 423.
- Fur and feather in North China. Tientsin, North China: Tientsin Press, 1914. url p. 87.
- General function of the gall bladder from the evolutionary standpoint, by Frank W. Gorham and Andrew Conway Ivy. 22 1938 Chicago, 1938. url p. 183.
- Geographical distribution of British birds / by Henry Seebohm. London: R.H. Porter, 1893. url , p. 6.
- Glacier garden, Lucerne. Lucerne: Bucher, 1913. url .
- Glimpses of Indian birds, London, John Lane Company; [etc., etc.]1913. url , .
- Glimpses of Indian birds, by Douglas Dewar. London, John Lane;1913 url p. 164, p. 164, p. 257, p. 70, p. 70.
- Guide to the Gallery of Birds in the Department of Zoology of the British Museum (Natural History). London: Printed by order of the Trustees [by Taylor and Francis], 1905. url p. 194.
- Guide to the birds of the Caucasus. Tiflis, 1907. url p. 120.
- Guide to the gallery of birds in the Department of Zoology, British Museum (Natural History) LondonPrinted by order of the Trustees url p. 57.
- Half-hours in the green lanes: a book for a country stroll / by J. E. Taylor. London: W. H. Allen & Company, 1898. url p. 106.
- Hampstead Hill: its structure, materials and sculpturing / by J. Logan Lobley; with The flora of Hampstead, by Henry T. Wharton; The insect fauna of Hampstead, by F. A. Walker; and The birds of Hampstead, by J. Edmund Haring. London: Roper and Drowley, 1889. url p. 89.
- Hampstead Hill; its structure, materials, and sculpturing. With The flora of Hampstead by Henry T. Wharton; The insect fauna of Hampstead, by F.A. Walker; and The birds of Hampstead, by J. Edmund Harting. LondonRoper and Drowley1889 url p. 89.
- Hand-book to the birds of Great Britain. London, Allen, 1894-97. url p. 141, p. 141, p. 142, p. 142.
- Handbook and guide to the British birds on exhibition in the Lord Derby Natural History Museum, Liverpool. Liverpool, C. Tinling, 1914. url p. 27.
- Handbook to The birds of Australia. By John Gould. LondonPub. by the author, 1865. url p. 45.
- Handbook to the birds of the Bombay presidency, by Lieut. H. Edwin Barnes. .. Calcutta, The Calcutta Central Press, 1885. url , , , p. 24, p. 447, p. 447.
- Handbook to the natural history of Cambridgeshire, ed. by J.E. Marr. .. and A.E. Shipley. .. Cambridge, University press, 1904. url p. 92.
- Handbuch der Biologie der Wirbeltiere. Von Dr. M. Hilzheimer. unter Mitwirkung von Dr. Phil. O. Haempel. mikt 599 Textabbildungen. vii, 756 p.illus (part col.)26 cm. url p. 462.
- Handlist of the birds of Egypt by M.J. Nicoll. Cairo, Government Press, 1919. url p. 55.
- Hardwicke's science-gossip: an illustrated medium of interchange and gossip for students and lovers of nature. London: Robert Hardwicke, 1866- url , p. 220, p. 62.
- Heligoland as an ornithological observatory; the result of fifty years' experience, Edinburgh, D. Douglas, 1895. url p. 181, p. 233.
- Illustrations of the birds of California, Texas, Oregon, British and Russian America.: Intended to contain descriptions and figures of all North American birds not given by former American authors, and a general synopsis of North American ornithology. / By John Cassin, member of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia; of the American Philosophical Society; of the Horticultural Society of Pennsylvania; of the National Institute; of the South 1862 Philadelphia:: J.B. Lippincott & Co., 1862. url p. 95.
- In the Andamans and Nicobars; the narrative of a cruise in the schooner "Terrapin", with notices of the islands, their fauna, ethnology, etc., by C. Boden Kloss. .. London: J. Murray, 1903. url p. 330.
- Index-catalogue of the birds in the Hancock collection. [Newcastle-upon-Tyne]Printed for the Natural History Society, 1899. url p. 15.
- International catalogue of scientific literature. LondonPublished for the International Council by the Royal Society of London1901-1920 url p. 121, p. 14, p. 73, p. 8, p. 96.
- Island life: or, the phenomena and causes of insular faunas and floras, including a revision and attempted solution of the problem of geological climates / London: Macmillan, 1911. url p. 397.
- Jottings about birds / by Charles Dixon. London: Chapman and Hall, 1893. url p. 170, p. 170, p. 200, p. 39, p. 39.
- Journal of morphology. Boston: Ginn & Co., [1887-1924] url p. 632.
- Journal of the Federated Malay States museums. Kuala Lumpur: F.M.S. Museums, 1906-1929. url p. 71.
- Journal of the Royal Institution of Cornwall. Truro, Eng., Workers of Cornwall Ltd. url p. 423.
- Joy of nature: how to observe and appreciate the great outdoors / [editor, Alma E. Guinness]. Pleasantville, N.Y.: Reader's Digest Association, c1977. url p. 342.
- Jungle folk, Indian natural history sketches, by Douglas Dewar. London, John Lane;1912. url p. 265, p. 39.
- Key to North American birds. Containing a concise account of every species of living and fossil bird at present known from the continent north of the Mexican and United States boundary, inclusive of Greenland and Lower California Boston, Estes and Lauriat, 1896. url .
- Life and letters of Alexander Goodman More, F.R.S.E., F.L.S., M.R.I.A., with selections from his zoological and botanical writings; ed. by C.B. Moffat, B.A., with a preface by Frances M. More. Dublin, Hodges, Figgis & co. (ltd.)1898. url p. 409, p. 580.
- List of the birds of India. 78 p.24 cm. url p. 9.
- List of the vertebrated animals now or lately living in the gardens of the Zoological Society of London. London, Printed for the Society, 1896. url p. 393, p. 393.
- Lord Lilford on birds: being a collection of informal and unpublished writings by the late president of the British Ornithologists' Union. With contributed papers upon falconry and otter hunting, his favourite sports. Edited by Aubyn Trevor-Battye and illustrated by Archibald Thorburn. London, Hutchinson, 1903. url p. 152.
- Loudon's Natural History. Popular descriptions, tales and anecdotes of more than five hundred animals. London, G. Bell and sons, 1889. url p. 202.
- MAB Biosphere Reserves: Site Descriptions, post compilation 5 (October 1990) UNESCO MAB Programme url .
- Memo?rias do Instituto Oswaldo Cruz. Rio de Janeiro. url p. 162, p. 164.
- Memoirs of the Museum of Comparative Zoölogy, at Harvard College, Cambridge, Mass. 40 1911 Cambridge [Mass.]: The Museum, 1876-1940. url p. 154.
- Memories of the months. London, E. Arnold, 1919. url .
- Memories of the months. Sixth series, by the Right Hon. Sir Herbert Maxwell, bart. London: E. Arnold, 1919. url p. 205.
- Midland naturalist. London: Hardwicke and Bogue, 1878- url p. 164.
- My life among the wild birds in Spain, by Colonel Willoughby Verner (late rifle brigade). .. London, J. Bale, Sons & Danielsson, Ltd., 1909. url p. 459.
- My life as a naturalist, by W. Percival Westell. London, Cecil Palmer and Hayward[c1918] url p. 94.
- Natural history, by R. Lydekker, W. F. Kirby, B. B. Woodward, R. Kirpatrick, R. I. Pocock, R. Bowdler Sharpe, W. Garstang, F. A. Bather, H. M. Bernard. New York, D. Appleton and company, 1897. url p. 311.
- Nature Reserves of the Himalaya and the Mountains of Central Asia IUCN url p. 461, p. 98.
- Nature in Acadie / London: John Bale, 1895. url .
- Nature in Acadie / by H.K. Swann. London: J. Bale & Sons, 1895. url p. 62.
- Nature. London, etc., Macmillan Journals Ltd., etc. url p. 17, p. 203, p. 334, p. 403, p. 544, p. 557.
- Nests and eggs of North American birds / Columbus, [Ohio]: Landon Press, c1898. url .
- Notes on the Kuril Islands. By Captain H. J. Snow. London, J. Murray, 1897. url p. 38.
- Notes on the birds of Herefordshire, contributed by members of the Woolhope Club. Collected and arranged by the late Henry Graves Bull.
- Notes on the birds of Kent / by R.J. Balston, C.W. Shepherd, and E. Bartlett. London: R.H. Porter, 1907. url p. 456.
- Notes on the birds of Northamptonshire and neighbourhood / Lord Lilford; illustrated by A. Thorburn and G.E. Lodge. London: Porter, 1895. url p. 26.
- Notes on the birds of Rainham, including the district between Chatham and Sittingbourne. London, Curney & Jackson, 1894. url p. 13.
- On the fauna and flora of the west of Scotland. Meeting at Glasgow, September, 1876. Glasgow, Blackie, 1876 url p. 7.
- Oologia neerlandica: eggs of birds breeding in the Netherlands / by A.A. van Pelt Lechner. The Hague: Nijhoff, 1910-1913 [i.e. 1911-1913]. url , , , , .
- Ootheca Wolleyana: an illustrated catalogue of the collection of birds' eggs, begun by the late John Wolley, jun.. .. and continued with additions, by the editor, Alfred Newton. .. London, sold by R. H. Porter, 1864-1907. url , p. 78, p. 79.
- Ootheca wolleyana: an illustrated catalogue of the collection of birds' eggs formed by by the late John Wolley, Jun. / edited from the original notes by Alfred Newton. London, J. Van Voorst, 1864-1907. url p. 78, p. 79.
- Ornithological miscellany / 1 1876 London: Trübner and Co., Bernard Quaritch, R.H. Porter, 1876-1878. url list of plates , p. 148, index, page 443, p. 443, p. 58.
- Osteology of birds, by R.W. Shufeldt. Albany, University of the State of New York, 1909. url p. 58.
- Our country's birds and how to know them. A guide to all the birds of Great Britain. London, Simpkin, Marshall, Hamilton, Kent[1892?] url , , , , , .
- Our resident birds and how to know them / E.F.M. Elms. London: T. Butterworth,  url p. 49, p. 49.
- Parasites: a treatise on the entozoa of man and animals including some account of the ectozoa / by T. Spencer Cobbold. London: J. & A. Churchill, 1879. url p. 447.
- Parental care and its evolution in birds. Urbana, University of Illinois Press, 1952. url p. 190.
- Partridges and partridge manors, by Aymer Maxwell, with 16 illustrations in colour by George Rankin. London, A. & C. Black, 1911. url p. 204, p. 204.
- Popular science monthly. New York: D. Appleton, 1872-1950. url p. 819.
- Principles of animal ecology, by W. C. Allee [and others] Philadelphia, Saunders Co., 1949. url p. 374.
- Proceedings - Dorset Natural History and Archaeological Society. Dorchester, Eng. url , , p. 155, p. 169.
- Proceedings of the Entomological Society of Washington. Washington, etc.: Entomological Society of Washington url p. 73.
- Proceedings of the International Ornithological Congress. [Canberra, etc.]Australian Academy of Science [etc.] url p. 35, p. 360, p. 383, p. 563, p. 567, p. 577, p. 583, p. 938, p. 940, p. 951.
- Proceedings of the Natural History Society of Glasgow. Glasgow, Natural History Society of Glasgow. url , , , p. 131, p. 160, p. 232, p. 275, p. 61, p. 78.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 10, p. 157, p. 217, p. 313, p. 453, p. 5, p. 625, p. 67, p. 77, p. 8, p. 87, p. 88, p. 903.
- Protected Landscapes: experience around the world. Prepared for the International Symposium on Protected Landscapes, Grange-over-Sands, England 5-10 October 1987 IUCN url p. 159, p. 165.
- Rambles of a naturalist in Egypt & other countries. With an analysis of the claims of certain foreign birds to be considered British, and other ornithological notes. London, Jarrold[1876?] url , p. 138.
- Reports of the Princeton University Expeditions to Patagonia, 1896-1899. J. B. Hatcher in charge. Edited by William B. Scott. Princeton, The University, 1901-32 [v. 1, 1903] url p. 605, p. 605, p. 609, p. 609.
- Reptiles and birds, a popular account of their various orders: with a description of the habits and economy of the most interesting / by Louis Figuier; edited and adapted by Parker Gillmore. New York: D. Appleton, 1870. url p. 622.
- Reptiles and birds. A popular account of the various orders; with a description of the habits and economy of the most interesting. Springfield, Mass., W.J. Holland[pref. 1869] url , p. 622.
- Revised list of the vertebrated animals now or lately living in the gardens of the Zoological society of London. 1872. London, Printed for the Society,  url p. 222.
- Revue méthodique et critique des collections déposées dans cet établissement. Leyden, Rijksmuseum van Natuurlijke Historie. url p. 334, p. 51, p. 87.
- Roentgenologic studies of Egyptian and Peruvian mummies / by Roy L. Moodie --; Berthold Laufer --, editor. Chicago:Field Museum Press, 1931. url p. 58.
- Rural bird life of England: being essays on ornithology, with instructions for preserving objects relating to that science / by Charles Dixon; with forty-five ill. and a pref. by Dr. Elliott Coues. New York: Werner Co., 1899, c1895. url p. viii.
- Science progress in the twentieth century: a quarterly journal of scientific work & thought. London: John Murray, 1906-1916. url p. 267.
- Science-gossip. Berlin: R. Friedländer & Sohn, -1902. url p. 42.
- Sea-birds: an introduction to the natural history of the sea-birds of the North Atlantic / by James Fisher and R. M. Lockley. Boston: Houghton, Mifflin, 1954. url p. 315.
- Short sketches of the wild sports & natural history of the highlands, London, John Murray, 1893. url .
- Siberia in Europe: a visit to the valley of the Petchora, in north-east Russia; with descriptions of the natural history, migration of birds, etc. / by Henry Seebohm. London: J. Murray, 1880. url p. 129.
- Sketch-book of British birds / by R. Bowdler Sharpe; with coloured illustrations by A.F. and C. Lydon. London: Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge, 1898. url p. 245.
- Smithsonian miscellaneous collections. 144 1962 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1862-1968. url p. 26, p. 340, p. 463, p. 517.
- Some Chinese vertebrates. .. With six plates. Cambridge, U.S.A., Printed for the Museum, 1912. url p. 154.
- Some account of the fauna and flora of Sinai, Petra, and Wa?dy 'Arabah, London, Pub. for the Committee of the Palestine exploration fund by A. P. Watt, 1891. url , .
- Special scientific report--wildlife / U.S. Department of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service. Washington, D.C.: The Service, 1949- url p. 23, p. 277, p. 281, p. 320, p. 548, p. 550, p. 552, p. 593, p. 60, p. 612, p. 65, p. 66, p. 67, p. 687, p. 90.
- Spixiana. 11 1989 München: Zoologische Staatssammlung München, 1977- url p. 281, p. 282, p. 295, p. 296.
- Spolia zeylanica. S.l.: s.n. url , p. 158, p. 368.
- Stray feathers. Journal of ornithology for India and its dependencies. Calcutta: s.n., 1872-1899. url , , , p. 122, p. 178, p. 180, p. 197, p. 229, p. 24, p. 247, p. 252, p. 260, p. 280, p. 287, p. 306, p. 33, p. 335, p. 34, p. 342, p. 368, p. 371, p. 377, p. 445, p. 451, p. 455, p. 468, p. 6, p. 7, p. 73, p. 75, p. 76, p. 81, p. 92, p. 92.
- Ten years in Sweden: being a description of the landscape, climate, domestic life, forests, mines, agriculture, field sports and fauna of Scandinavia. London, Groombridge and sons, 1865. url .
- Territory in bird life / by H. Eliot Howard; with illustrations by G.E. Lodge, and H. Grönvold. London: Murray, 1920. url .
- Territory in bird life, by H. Eliot Howard, with illustrations by G. E. Lodge and H. Grönvold. New York, E. P. Dutton, 1920. url .
- Territory in bird life. London, J. Murray, 1920. url .
- The Annals of Scottish natural history. Edinburgh: David Douglas, 1892-1911. url p. 113, p. 131, p. 140, p. 144, p. 153, p. 202, p. 212, p. 227, p. 25, p. 71, p. 96.
- The Asa Gray bulletin. 3 1955-1961 Ann Arbor, Mich. url p. 163.
- The Auk. Washington, D.C.: American Ornithologists' Union, etc., 1884- url p. 253, p. 329, p. 425, p. 499, p. 500.
- The Avicultural magazine. Ascot, Berkshire, etc.: Avicultural Society, etc. url p. 199, p. 278.
- The Bulletin of zoological nomenclature. London, International Trust for Zoological Nomenclature. url p. 186.
- The Cambridge natural history / edited by S. F. Harmer and A. E. Shipley. London: Macmillan and Co.; 1895-1909. url p. 157.
- The Cambridge natural history, London, Macmillan and Co., Limited;1895-1909 url , .
- The Cambridge natural history, ed. by S.F. Harmer. .. and A.E. Shipley. .. London, The Macmillan, Company, 1895-1909 url p. 157, p. 589, p. 589.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 224, p. 236, p. 246, p. 266, p. 277, p. 280, p. 281, p. 282, p. 283, p. 284, p. 287, p. 292, p. 298, p. 303, p. 320, p. 331, p. 594, p. 697, p. 753.
- The Entomologist's record and journal of variation. s.l., s.n. url p. 129, p. 148.
- The Field naturalist's quarterly. Edinburgh: George A. Morton, 1902-1904. url p. 319.
- The Garden: an illustrated weekly journal of gardening in all its branches. London: [s.n., url p. 315.
- The Gardeners' chronicle: a weekly illustrated journal of horticulture and allied subjects. London: [Gardeners Chronicle], 1874-1955. url p. 540.
- The Glasgow naturalist. Glasgow, Andersonian Naturalists of Glasgow. url p. 129, p. 132, p. 139, p. 145, p. 147, p. 22, p. 59, p. 76.
- The Irish naturalist. Dublin: Eason & Son, Ltd., 1892- url p. 44, p. 55, p. 71.
- The Journal of the Bombay Natural History Society. Bombay: The Society, url , , p. 10, p. 1009, p. 107, p. 1160, p. 137, p. 152, p. 231, p. 290, p. 297, p. 338, p. 352, p. 424, p. 494, p. 569, p. 572, p. 59, p. 591, p. 729, p. 73, p. 740, p. 75, p. 760, p. 775, p. 801, p. 810, p. 827, p. 845.
- The Journal of the College of Science, Imperial University of Tokyo, Japan = Tokyo Teikoku Daigaku kiyo. Rika. Tokyo, Japan: The University, 1898-1925. url p. 65.
- The Journal of the Natural History Society of Siam. [Bangkok, Thailand]: The Society, url p. 105.
- The Naturalist. 1891 [Doncaster: Yorkshire Naturalists' Union], 1874- url p. 137, p. 139, p. 159, p. 167, p. 169, p. 204, p. 224, p. 287, p. 291, p. 321, p. 42, p. 76, p. 80, p. 84, p. 99.
- The Popular science monthly. New York, Popular Science Pub. Co., etc. url p. 819.
- The Riverside natural history. Boston and New York, Houghton, Mifflin and company[c1888] url p. 306, p. 307.
- The Scottish naturalist. Arbroath [etc.]T. Buncle & Co. [etc.] url , p. 130, p. 21, p. 4, p. 55, p. 8.
- The Victoria history of Berkshire. edited by P.H. Ditchfield and William Page. [LondonConstable]1906-1923 url p. 153.
- The Victoria history of the County of Hertford / edited by William Page. London: Published for the University of London, Institute of Historical Research by Dawsons of Pall Mall,  url .
- The Victoria history of the county of Warwick. London: Published for the University of London Institute of Historical Research by Dawsons of Pall Mall, 1965- url p. 199.
- The Wilson bulletin. Columbus, Ohio: Wilson Ornithological Society, 1894- url p. 380, p. 8.
- The art and practice of hawking, London, Methuen, 1900. url , .
- The avifauna of British India and its dependencies: a systematic account, with descriptions of all the known species of birds inhabiting British India, observations on their habits, nidification, &c., tables of their geographical distribution in Persia by James A. Murray. London: Trübner, 1888-1890. url .
- The balance of nature and modern conditions of cultivation: a practical manual of animal foes and friends for the country gentleman, the farmer, the forester, the gardener, and the sportsman / by George Abbey. London: E.P. Dutton, 1909. url p. 51.
- The biology of birds / by J. Arthur Thomson. New York: Macmillan, 1923. url p. 245, p. 435.
- The bird-life of London / by Charles Dixon. London: Heinemann, 1909. url , p. 331.
- The birds of Ayrshire and Wigtownshire / by Robert Gray and Thomas Anderson; with a lithographic illustration. Glasgow: Thomas Murray and Son, 1869. url p. 9.
- The birds of Berwickshire; with remarks on their local distribution migration, and habits, and also on the folk-lore, proverbs, popular rhymes and sayings connected with them, by George Muirhead. .. Edinburgh, David Douglas, 1889-95. url p. 311, p. 8.
- The birds of Breconshire / by E. Cambridge Phillips. .. Brecon [Eng.]: E. Davies, 1899. url p. 140.
- The birds of Britain: their distribution and habits / Cambridge [England]: Cambridge University Press, 1916. url , .
- The birds of Cheshire / by T. A. Coward and Charles Oldham. Manchester [England]: Sherratt and Hughes, 1900. url p. 261.
- The birds of Dorsetshire; a contribution to the natural history of the county, by J.C. Mansel-Pleydell. .. London, R.H. Porter; [etc., etc., 1888?] url p. 169, p. 169, p. 7, p. 7.
- The birds of Essex: a contribution to the natural history of the country. By Miller Christy, F.L.S. With 162 woodcut illustrations, two plans, and a frontispiece. Chelmsford, E. Durrant & Co.; [etc., etc.]1890. url p. 168.
- The birds of Guernsey: and the neighboring islands Alderney, Sark, Jethou, Herm; being a small contribution to the ornithology of the Channel Islands / by Cecil Smith. London: R. H. Porter, 1879. url p. 13, p. 13.
- The birds of London / London: Sonnenschein, 1893. url p. 70.
- The birds of Norfolk, with remarks on their habits, migration, and local distribution: by Henry Stevenson. London: J. Van Voorst, 1866-1890. url p. 24, p. 24, p. 421, p. 421, p. 439, p. 439.
- The birds of Norfolk: with remarks on their habits, migration, and local distribution / by Henry Stevenson. London: J. Van Voorst, 1866-1890. url p. 24, p. 421.
- The birds of South Africa, London, R. H. Porter, 1900-1906. url , .
- The birds of South Africa, by Arthur C. Stark. .. London, R. H. Porter, 1900-1906. url p. 347, p. 347, p. 348.
- The birds of Sussex, London, R.H. Porter, 1891. url .
- The birds of Sussex, by William Borrer. London, R.H. Porter, 1891. url p. 13, p. 380.
- The birds of Tunisia; being a history of the birds found in the regency of Tunis. By J. I. S. Whitaker. London, R.H. Porter, 1905. url , p. 116, p. 117, p. 118, p. 397.
- The birds of Wiltshire. Comprising all the periodical and occasional visitants, as well as those which are indigenous to the county. By the Rev. Alfred Charles Smith. .. Devizes, H.F. Bull, 1887. url p. 81.
- The birds of Yorkshire: being a historical account of the avi-fauna of the county / by T. H. Nelson; with the co-operation of W. Eagle Clarke and F. Boyes. London: A. Brown, 1907. url p. 343, p. 779.
- The birds of our country. London, Digby, Long & Co., 1898. url p. 226, p. 393.
- The birds of our country. With illus. by A. Thorburn, J. Giacomelli, G.E. Lodge, K. Keyl, and R. Kretschmer. London, Digby, Long, 1897. url p. 226, p. 393.
- The birds of our rambles: with a companion for the country / by Charles Dixon; with illustrations by A. T. Elwes. London: Chapman and Hall, 1891. url p. 113.
- The birds of the Japanese Empire. London, R. H. Porter, 1890. url , p. 204.
- The birds of the west of Scotland: including the outer Hebrides, with occasional records of the occurrence of the rarer species throughout Scotland generally / by Robert Gray. Glasgow: T. Murray & Son, 1871. url p. 41.
- The cruise of the Marchesa to Kamschatka & New Guinea: with notices of Formosa, Liu-Kiu, and various islands of the Malay archipelago / by F. H. H. Guillemard. London: J. Murray, 1886. url p. 276.
- The dates of publication of some of the zoological works of the late John Gould, F.R.S. / Compiled by Frederick Herschel Waterhouse. London: R. H. Porter, 1885. url p. 6.
- The fauna of British India, including Ceylon and Burma. By Eugene W. Oates. London, Taylor and Francis; [etc., etc.]1889-98. url p. 402.
- The fauna of Shropshire, being an account of all the mammals, birds, reptiles & fishes found in the county of Salop. With an introduction dealing with the physical features of the county, a copious index, a chapter on the pri Illustrated by photographic plates and portraits. By H. Edward Forrest. Shrewsbury, L. Wilding [etc. etc.]1899. url p. 135.
- The food of birds in India, by C.W. Mason, edited by H. Maxwell-Lefroy. Calcutta, Imperial Dept. of Agric. in India, 1911. url p. 211.
- The food of some British wild birds: a study in economic ornithology. By Walter E. Collinge. .. London: Dulau & Co., 1913. url p. 106, p. 66, p. vii.
- The gazetteer of Sikhim. With an introduction by H.H. Risley. Ed. in the Bengal government secretariat. Calcutta: Printed at the Bengal secretariat press, 1894. url p. 204.
- The gun; afield & afloat. London, Chapman, 1904. url p. 305.
- The history of Harting, by the Rev. H.D. Gordon. With a chapter on the geology of the district, by the late Sir Roderick Impey Murchison, and some notice of its fauna and flora, by J. Weaver. London: Printed for the authors by W. Davy, 1877. url p. 253.
- The history of the collections contained in the natural history departments of the British Museum. by R. Bowdler Sharpe. London, 1906. url p. 506, p. 91.
- The journal of the Natural History Society of Siam. [London: Luzac, 1914]-1924. url p. 105.
- The migration of birds, as observed at Irish lighthouses and lightships including the original reports from 1888-97, now published for the first time, and an analysis of these and of the previously pu together with an appendix giving the measurement sof about 1600 wings / London: R.H. Porter, [etc., etc., 1900] url p. 134, p. 339, p. 390, p. 4, p. 456, p. 503.
- The natural history and antiquities of Selborne, in the county of Southampton. By the late Rev. Gilbert White. Ed. by Thomas Bell. London, J. Van Voorst, 1877. url p. 363.
- The natural history of animals: the animal life of the world in its various aspects and relations, London, The Gresham Publishing Company, 1903-04. url , , .
- The natural history of birds; a popular introduction to ornithology. London, Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge, 1867. url p. 51.
- The natural history of the USSR / Algirdas Knystautas; foreword by Vladimir Flint; [translation, John S. Scott]. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1987. url p. 123.
- The naturalist. London: Simpkin, Marshall, 1865- url p. 147, p. 148, p. 158, p. 160, p. 163, p. 249, p. 250, p. 259, p. 261, p. 263, p. 269, p. 330.
- The nests and eggs of British birds: when and where to find them: being a handbook to the oology of the British Islands / by Charles Dixon. London: Chapman and Hall, 1894. url p. 212, p. 212, p. 367, p. 367.
- The nests and eggs of Indian birds / Allan O. Hume. London: R. H. Porter, 1889-1890. url p. 120, p. 122, p. 123, p. vi.
- The nests and eggs of Indian birds. London, R. H. Porter, 1889-90. url , .
- The new natural history, by Richard Lydekker. .. and R. Bowdler Sharpe, H.A. MacPherson, F.O. Pickard-Cambridge, W.R. Ogilvie Grant, C.J. Gahan, F.A. Bather, Edgar A. Smith, R.I. Pocock, M. Bernard, H. Bernard and R. Kirkpatr New York, Merrill and Baker[189-?] url p. 238.
- The new natural history. New York, Merrill, c1901. url p. 2001.
- The oo?logist's record. London, Harrison and Sons, - url p. 26, p. 48.
- The ornithology of the Straits of Gibraltar / by L. Howard L. Irby. London: R.H. Porter, 1895. url p. 186, p. 317.
- The royal natural history / edited by Richard Lydekker; with preface by P.L. Sclater; illustrated with seventy-two coloured plates and sixteen hundred engravings by W. Kuhnert. .. [et al.]. London: F. Warne, 1893-1896. url p. 238.
- The royal natural history. With pref. by P. L. Sclater. Illustrated with 72 col. plates and 1600 engravings. London, F. Warne, 1893-96. url p. 238.
- The sportsman's British bird book / by R. Lydekker. London: Rowland Ward, 1908. url p. 374.
- The standard natural history. Ed. by John Sterling Kingsley. Boston, S.E. Cassino and company, 1884-85. url p. 306.
- The survey of western Palestine. The fauna and flora of Palestine, by H. B. Tristram. London, The Committee of the Palestine Exploration Fund, 1884. url p. 101.
- The vertebrate fauna of Cheshire and Liverpool Bay / London: Witherby, 1910. url p. 286.
- The vertebrate zoology of Sind: a systematic account. .. / by James A. Murray. London: Richardson, 1884. url p. 73.
- Through Shên-kan; the account of the Clark expedition in north China, 1908-9. By Robert Sterling Clark and Arthur de C. Sowerby, ed. by Major C. H. Chepmell. London [etc.]T. F. Unwin, 1912. url p. 103.
- Transactions of the Academy of Science of St. Louis. [St. Louis: Academy of Science of St. Louis], 1860-1958. url p. 33, p. 33.
- Transactions of the Edinburgh Field Naturalists' and Microscopical Society. [Edinburgh]: The Club, 1891- url p. 456.
- Transactions of the Edinburgh Naturalists' Field Club. Edinburgh: The Club, 1886. url p. 289, p. 293, p. 293, p. 96, p. 96.
- Transactions of the Essex Field Club. Buckhurst Hill, Essex: The Club, 1880-1886. url p. 24.
- Transactions of the Hertfordshire Natural History Society and Field Club. London: Gurney & Jackson, 1879- url p. 160, p. 92.
- Transactions of the Linnean Society of London. London: [The Society], 1879- url , p. 135, p. 153, p. 605.
- Transactions of the Natural History Society of Northumberland, Durham, and Newcastle-upon-Tyne. Newcastle-upon-Tyne [et al.]F. & W. Dodsworth [et al.]1865/67-1973. url p. 16, p. 287, p. 78.
- Transactions of the Philosophical society of New South Wales, 1862-1865. Sydney: Printed by Reading and Wellbank, 1866. url p. 311.
- Travels and traditions of waterfowl. Minneapolis, University of Minnesota Press url p. 288.
- Travels of a naturalist in northern Europe, Norway, 1871, Archangel, 1872, Petchora, 1875, London, T. F. Unwin, 1905. url p. 117, p. 209, p. 537.
- Turner on birds: a short and succinct history of the principal birds noticed by Pliny and Aristotle first published by Doctor William Turner, 1544. Ed. with introduction, translation, notes, and appendix, by A. H. Evans. Cambridge, University press, 1903. url , , p. 213.
- Turner on birds; a short and succinct history of the principal birds noticed by Pliny and Aristotle, first published by Doctor William Turner, 1544. Cambridge, University Press, 1903. url .
- Wild life in China; or, Chats on Chinese birds and beasts. Shanghai, "The National Review" Office, 1911. url .
- Wild life of the world: a descriptive survey of the geographical distribution of animals / London; F. Warne and co., 1916. url p. 417, p. 81.
- Wonders of the bird world / by R. Bowdler Sharpe. .. With illustrations by A.T. Elwes. New YorkFrederick A. Stokes company[pref.1898] url p. 381, p. 85.
- Wonders of the bird world, by Bowdler Sharpe...With illustrations by A. T. Elwes. New York: Frederick A. Stokes company,  url p. 381, p. 85.
- Woodland creatures; being some wild life studies, by Frances Pitt. London, G. Allen & Unwin ltd. url p. 186.
- World Checklist of Threatened Birds Joint Nature Conservation Committee url p. 27.
- Zoological classification; a handy book of reference with tables of the subkingdoms, classes, orders, etc., of the animal kingdom, their characters and lists of the families and principal genera. London, J. Van Voorst, 1880. url p. 234.
- Zoologische Jahrbücher. Jena [Germany]: G. Fischer, 1910-1993. url p. 288, p. 328, p. 334.
- [Ornithological papers] 1876-84. url p. 207, p. 324, p. 372, p. 4.
- BirdLife International 2009. Accipiter nisus. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloadedon 29January2012.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 9, 2012.
- IUCN 2012. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. . Downloaded on January 28, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 12, 2007:
- Biologiezentrum der Oberoesterreichischen Landesmuseen, Biologiezentrum Linz
- Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility, Provincial Museum of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada. Birds
- Marine Science Institute, UCSB, Paleobiology Database
- Museum of Vertebrate Zoology, Terrestrial vertebrate specimens
- Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History, Santa Barbara Musem of Natural History
- The Danish Biodiversity Information Facility, Western Palearctic migrants in continental Africa
- The Swedish Museum of Natural History
- , Birds of the Gothenburg Natural History Museum
- UK National Biodiversity Network, Environment and Heritage Service - EHS Species Datasets
- UK National Biodiversity Network, Herts Bird Club - Hertfordshire Breeding Bird Atlas : 1988-1992
- UK National Biodiversity Network, Scottish Borders Biological Records Centre - SWT Scottish Borders Local Wildlife Site Survey data 1996-2000 - species information
- University of Gdansk, Bird Migration Research Station, Ringing Data from the Bird Migration Research Station, University of Gdańsk
- University of Michigan Museum of Zoology
- , Bird specimens
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 8565
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-175333
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 2481685
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 175333
- IUCN ID: 188319
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 133839